1884 numbers of the Bay state monthlyBe the first and subjects of first 10 volumes and List of por.

The Granite monthly, a New Hampshire magazine, devoted to literature, history, and state progress (Volume 53) online

. (page 42 of 57)
Online Library1884 numbers of the Bay state monthlyBe the first and subjects of first 10 volumes and List of porThe Granite monthly, a New Hampshire magazine, devoted to literature, history, and state progress (Volume 53) → online text (page 42 of 57)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Mr. Tuttle may decide to do as much
for the sister state of New Hampshire
in the near future.


By Dean T. Wilton

I'm lonesome and homesick and weary.
And the heart within me thrills,
For a stroll thru the wooded pastures,
Of old New Hampshire's hills.

Just a walk by the little red school-house,
Just a glimpse of the old-fashioned mill.
Just a whiff of the apple orchard,
Just a night at the farm on the hill.

Just to talk with the birds by the roadside,
Just to hear my friend whip-o-will,
Just to hear the chirp of the cricket,
( )n a night that is peaceful and still.

Just to hear the swift running water,
Of the brook that runs thru the lane,
Just to stand on the bridge and listen,
To the sounds of the forests again.

For I'm lonesome and homesick and weary,
And the heart within me thrills,
For a stroll thru the wooded pastures.
Of old New Hampshire's hills.



. Nathaniel W. Hobbs was born in Bos-
ton, November 1, 1873, the son of the
late Horatio and Armenia (White)
Hobbs and the grandson of the late
Nathaniel and Armenia S. White, and
died in Concord, August 2. He was
educated in the schools of Concord, at
Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass., Yale
University and the Harvard Law
School, and after admission to the New
Hampshire bar practised law in Concord,
for a time in association with Hon.
Henry F. Hollis. He was interested in
public affairs and served, successively, in
the old common council of the city, as
a ward alderman and alderman-at-
large, and from 1916 to 1918 as mayor
of Concord. He was an active Repub-
lican; a member of various social orga-
nizations, affiliated with the Masonic
fraternity and the Universalist church.
He is survived by his wife, who was
Miss Mary L. Leaver of Concord, by
his mother, and bv his sister, Miss Anne
W. Hobbs.


General Herbert E. Tutherly was born
in Claremont, April 5, 1848, the son of
William E. and Loretta C. (Rossiter)
Tutherly, and died in the same town
August 13. He attended Kimball Union
Academy before entering the U. S.
Military Academy at West Point, where
he graduated in 1872. He was assigned
to the First U. S. Cavalry and was at-
tached to that regiment for nearly 30
years, being detailed for service several
years as professor of military science
and tactics at the University of Vermont
and at Cornell and receiving the degree
of M. A. from the former institution.
During the Spanish American War he
saw service in Cuba, participating in
San Juan and other battles. Trans-
ferred to the inspector general's depart-
ment, he served four years each in
Alaska and the Philippines and was pro-
moted to lieutenant colonel, the rank
which he held upon his retirement, by
his own request, in 1906. During the
world war he returned to the active list
and was commissioned colonel. In 1911
he was appointed adjutant general of the
state of New Hampshire by Governor
Robert P. Bass and continued in that
position until 1915. General Tutherly
was an authority on military strategy,
tactics and science and was the author

of a textbook on those subjects for the
use of National Guardsmen. He is sur-
vived by a son, George, three grand-
children, and a brother, Major William


Dr. Florance Hale Abbot died Au-
gust 1 in Brookline, Mass. She was born
in Wilton, Oct. 20, 1867, the daughter
of Harris and Caroline Ann (Greeley)
Abbot. She attended the public schools
of Wilton, Pembroke Academy and
Cushing Academy, was graduated from

The late Florence H. Abbot.

Smith College in 1891 and from the
Woman's Medical College of the New
York Infirmary, with the degree of M.
Dā€ž in 1896. She made a specialty of
work with the insane and was associated
with various state and private institutions
as physician. She was a member of
several professional and collegiate clubs
and associations.


Stephen Kenny, born in Meredith in
1840, the son of Trueworthy and Lettice
A. (Bean) Kenny, died at his home in
Colorado Springs, Colorado, August 5.
He was a wagon master in the quarter-



master corps during the Civil War, and
in 1865 went to Colorado and built the
first telegraph line from Denver to Santa
Fe. Later, in the San Luis valley, he
was one of the largest cattle ranchers
in the state. He retired in 1908 on ac-
count of ill health and had since lived
in Colorado Springs. His body was
brought to Meredith for burial.

the world as a sailor before the mast
and later spent 15 years in gold mining
in California and Oregon.


James T. Weston, composer, and
writer of prose and poetry, a former
contributor to the Granite Monthly, died
at his home in Hancock, August 23. He

The late James T. Weston.

was born in Stoddard, May 25, 1860, the
son of William and Sarah (Wilder)
Weston, and had lived in Hancock since
1867. In 1891 he married Emma Cool-
idge of Hancock, by whom he is sur-


John Copeland Weston, born in Han-
cock, October 12, 1835, the son of Wil-
liam and Mary D. (Copeland) Weston,
died recently in Clinton, Iowa, where he
was first cashier and then president for
many years of the Clinton National
Bank. As a boy of 16 he went around


Dr. William W. Hayes was born in
Dover, June 6, 1847, the son of George
W. and Mary (Wood) Hayes, and died
there June 11. He graduated from the
Dover High school in 1865 and in 1870
began the practice of dentistry, actively
continuing until his last illness. He was
the president of the county dental as-
sociation, a Mason and for many years
deacon in the First Parish church- also
singing in the church choir. June 30,
1891, he married Susan B. Morss, daugh-
ter of the late Joseph B. Morss of New-
buryport, Mass., and she survives him.


George Wentworth of Brookline,
Mass., author of the Wentworth series
of mathematical textbooks, who died
August 26, at his summer home in Oak-
Ian I, Me., was born in Exeter, Jan. 8,
1863, the son of Prof. George A. and
Emily (Hatch) Wentworth. He was
educated at Phillips Exeter Academy and
Harvard and lived in Exeter until a few
years ago, serving as a member of the
school board and being prominent in the
life of the town. A wife and daughter,
brother and sister, survive him.


George Kendall Webster, donor of
a public library to his native town of
Wentworth, died June 4 at his home in
North Attleboro, Mass., in his 72nd year.
He was the president of the Webster
Company, one of the largest silver fac-
tories in the country, and was noted for
his generosity and public spirit. Two
daughters survive him.


Mrs. Luella M. Wilson, born in Ly-
man in 1841, died in California, Nov.
20, 1920. She was well known as a
traveller, lecturer and educator, having
taught continuously for 57 years and
being the first woman in the United
States elected superintendent of Schools,
an office to which she was chosen in
Des Moines, Iowa, in 1884.




Clarence M. Woodbury was born in
Paxton, Mass., August 29, 1855, and
died at Manchester, August 24. He
entered the employ of the Manchester
Mills, afterwards merged with the Amos-
keag Corporation, in 1874, and for many
years was overseer of cotton spinning.
A staunch Republican in politics, he


Judge George W. Clyde died sudden-
ly at his home in Hudson, June 21. He
was born in Dracut, Mass., Oct. 23,
1865, the son of the late Wilse and Han-
nah J. B. Clyde, and was educated at
Dean Academy, Tufts College and the
Boston University Law School. He had
practiced his profession for 25 years in
Nashua and was judge of the Hudson
police court. He was a delegate to the
recent constitutional convention, had
served in the house of representatives
and was the Republican candidate for the
state senate in 1920. He is survived by
a widow and five children.

The late Clarence M. Woodbury.


Ernest L. Griffin, born in Franklin,
June 20, 1870, the son of George W., and
Adelaide (Burgess) Griffin, died at his
summer home at Rye Beach, Aug. 13.
He was educated at Franklin High
school, Dean Academy and Dartmouth
College, from which he graduated in
1895. He then was associacd with his
father in the manufacture of the latter's
invention, the Griffin hack-saw. At col-
lege he was a member of the S'gma Chi
fraternity and Sphinx scn.o: society
and later became a 32nd degree Mason.
He played on the 'varsity baseball team
at Dartmouth and afterwards was a golf
enthusiast. He is survived by his wife,
and one daughter and a brother, Ralph
B. Griffin, of Franklin.

served in both branches of the city gov-
ernment and of the legislature, being sen-
ator from the 17th district at the sessioit
of 1919. He was a member of the Old
Fellows and Red Men. His mother and
one brother, Hon. Edward B. Wood-
bury, survives him.


William H. Plumer, born in Rollins-
ford, Sept. 4, 1842, the son of William
and Pamelia (Waldron) Plumer, died
at his home in Costa Messa, California,
June 18. Most of his active life was
spent at Maxwell, Nebraska, where he
was engaged extensively in the hay and
cattle business and for for years vice-
president of the Maxwell State Bank, of
which his daughter was cashier. Since-
retiring from business a few years ago
he had lived in California. Mr. Plumer
married Elizabeth C, daughter of
Oliver and Mary (Cressy) Yeaton, of
Rollinsford, and she survives him.


Frederic William Jones, M. D., was
born in New Ipswich, Jan 9, 1848, and
died there July 1. He was educated at
Appleton Academy, Dartmouth college,
class of 1869, and the Harvard and New
York medical colleges. He was a mem-
ber of the legislature of 1903, president
of the Mason Village savings bank and
interested in many local good works,
the public library, lecture course, schools,


Elisha Frederick Lane one of Keene's
oldest and wealthiest residents, died
July 15. He was born in Swanzey,
April 29, 1826, the son of Ezekiel and
Rachael Thayer (Fish) Lane. He was
early engaged in the manufacture of
pails at Marlboro, but since 1859 had



resided in Keene, where he was largely
interested in real estate, railroads and
banking. During the Civil War he was
an assessor and deputy collector of taxes
and from 1870 to 1873 was sheriff of
Cheshire county. He was a member of
the Masonic order and of the Congrega-
tional church, which he liberally sup-
ported, as he did the Y. M. C. A. By
his will his large estate goes eventually
to these and other religious and philan-
thropic agencies.


James Benedict Crowley of Nashua
died suddenly, August 29, at the home
of a friend in Bethel, Me. He was born
in Nashua, Nov. 19, 1866, the son of
Timothy B. and Mary F. (Danahy)
Crowley, and graduated from the high
school of that city, where he was sub-
sequently engaged in the. insurance busi-
ness to the time of his death. For four
years he was chief clerk in the L T . S.
pension office at Concord. He was for

The late James B. Crowley.

12 years police commissioner of Nashua
and from 1915 to 1920 the mayor of the
city. He -was past state deputy of the
Knights of Columbus; member of the
Foresters of America, Ancient Order of
Hibernians and Sons of Veterans; presi-
dent of the Nashua Oratorio Society,
treasurer of the Nashua Hospital Asso-
ciation and O'Donnell Memorial Asso-

ciation, director of the Second National
Bank, trustee of the City Guaranty Sav-
ings Bank, member of the Nashua
Country Club and Rotary Club. He is
survived by his brother, Timothy A.
Crowley of Nashua, and two sisters,
Miss Sadie J. Crowley of Nashua and
Mrs. Peter Reilly of Lowell, Mass. He
never married.


Norman H. Beane, born in Newing-
ton, June 13, 1876, the son of Henry and
Marguerite (Newhall) Beane, died at

The late Norman H. Beane.

Portsmouth, July 1. He succeeded his
father as superintendent of the Rocking-
ham county farm at Brentwood and con
ducted that office successfuly for 10
years, when he resigned, in 1907, and en-
gaged in the men's clothing and boot and
shoe business in Portsmouth, where he
was a popular and prominent citizen.
A Republican in politics, he was elected
county commissioner for nine years from
1911 and served as chairman of the
board. At the time of his death he was
serving his third term in the city coun-
cil and had been mentioned for mayor.
Mr. Beane was a member of the var-
ious Masonic bodies, of the I. O. O. F.,
Grange, Elks, Jr. O. U. A. M., Yacht
and Gun Clubs, the Portsmouth Ath-



letic Club and the Congregational
church. It is said of him that he was "a
man of capacity and worth, genial, of
attractive qualities and a citizen of pub-
lic spirit." Mr. Beane married Miss
Belle Prescott, of Epping, who survives
him, as do five sisters and a brother.


Malcolm L. Bradley, widely known as
an actor, especially of Shakespearean
roles, died July 7 at Manchester. He
was born at Keene 69 j^ears ago, but
came to Manchester as a boy and was
educated there. His most notable stage
appearances were in support of South-
ern and Marlowe. During the past year
he had taken part in some important
moving pictures, including Barrie's "Sen-
timental Tommy." He is survived by a
sister, Mrs. L. B. Bodwell, of Manches-

council and legislature; had held the
highest offices in the various Masonic
bodies of the city; and was a member of
the I. O. O. F., and Methodist church.
He is survived by his wife, two sons,
Lieutenant Colonel William E. Hunt,
U. S. A., of Washington, D. C. and
Major Charles E. Hunt, U. S. A., of
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas and three

Joshua W. Hunt, 77, well known
Nashua grain merchant for 30 years and
prominent in the Masonic order, died
August 16. He was a native of Penn-
sylvania, but had lived in Nashua since
childhood. During the Civil War, he
was a member of the First N. H. Heavy
Artillery. He had served in the city


Charles Thompson McNally, born in
Springfield, 111, Sept. 5, 1853, the son
of Parker Thompson and Sarah (Ben-
nett) McNally, died suddenly at Berlin,
June 14. For nearly 40 years he was a
prominent citizen of Groveton, engag-
ing in the wholesale and retail meat and
grain business, in lumbering and hotel
management, in the installation of the
electric light plant and water works, and
in banking, being the organizer and
president of the Coos County National
Bank. He served in the Legislature and
for many years as selectman. A few
years ago he removed to Berlin because
of business interests. He is survived
by his widow and three children, Elbert
N., of St. Johnsbury, Vt., Mrs. Thomas
Donohue of Berlin and Charles C, of


By Louise Piper Wemple
From the swirling sands of the desert.

From the storm tossed northern sea,
From, tlower decked tropic jungle.

Homeward, our thoughts turn to thee.

There is peace in the fragrant meadows,
With daisies and buttercups strewn.

Where the only sounds are the wild birds' notes,
And the brooklet's plaintive croon.

There is rest in each white village,

That slumbers a top of the hill,
Where the old time church holds memories,

And simple faith lives still.

There are quiet woods by the crystal lakes,

\\ ith pine sweet banks, where shadows lie.

And each little leaf and twig and flower
Reflected, blends with the azure sky.

But fairer still are the mountains.

From man aloof, apart.

Snow crowned and Heaven aspiring.

New Hampshire's rugged heart.





Published monthly at Wolfeboro, New Hampshire


Will contain an entertaining, illustrated article, "A Pilgrimage to Wolfeboro,
New Hampshire" by Herbert B. Turner and Ralph Osborne, internationally
known travelers and writers. It is an account of a motor-trip made from Boston
to Wolfeboro, illustrated by photographic "impressions" made along the way.

Copies of PHOTO-ERA MAGAZINE may be obtained from your news-
dealer or from the publication office, Wolfeboro, New Hampshire.


Tuttle's Catalogue


Old, Rare, Curious, Unusual
Important, Useful and Useless

"For Entertainment of the Curious
and Information of the Ignorant."

Mostly long out of print and
now difficult to obtain.

Largely of Vermont Interest









Governor John Wentworth.

Kindness of the Harvard University Press,


Vol. LI II.


No. 10


Celebration ttj tlie New Hampshire Society, S. A. R., Sept. 17, 1921

The National Society of the pat-
riotic order, known as the Sons of the
American Revolution, has been deep-
ly interested for some years past, in
promoting', through the various State
Societies, the appropriate celebration
of "Constitution Day," on the anni-
versary of the adoption and signing
of the Constitution of the United
States by the Convention which fram-
ed it, at Philadelphia, Pa., September
17, 1787.

Several of the State Societies had
already established the custom of
properly observing the memorable
day, which is of equal importance in
American history with the Fourth of
July or "Independence Day," but it
was not until the present year that the
New Hampshire Society took action
in the premises.

At its last annual meeting, April 17,
the society voted to hold a formal cel-
ebration of the day in Concord, and
a committee of three, consisting of
Henry H. Metcalf, Charles E. Staniels
and Will B. Howe, was appointed by
the President ā€” Ashley K. Hardy of
Hanover ā€” to make the necessary ar-
rangements. The committee proceed-
ed to the performance of its duties, the
most important object being to secure
the services, as orator of the day, of
a competent person for the perform-
ance of the task. Hon. Edgar Aid-
rich, Judge of the U. S. District Court
for New Hampshire, had tentatively
accepted an invitation to perform the
service in question, when he met with
the accident that eventually resulted in
his death and it was not till shortly
before the recent recess of Congress

that he finally gave notice of his in-
ability to render the service required.

The Congressional recess, liberating
from the public service for a time
the members of the New Hampshire
delegation, opened the way for secur-
ing a substitute for the service, in the
person of Hon. Sherman E. Burroughs
of Manchester, representative in Con-
gress from the First New Hampshire
District, whose legal training, schol-
arly attainments and an intimate know-
ledge of state and national history,
admirably qualified him for the work.

The hall of the House of Repre-
sentatives, in the State House, was
decided to be the proper place in which
to hold the observance and His Ex-
cellency, Governor Albert O. Brown,
kindly consented upon invitation, to
serve as president of the day.

The co-operation of Rumford
Chapter, Daughters of the American
Revolution, Mrs. E. Scott Owen,
Regent, was secured, which or-
ganization, through the chairman of
its music committee, Miss Ada M.
Aspinwall, arranged the musical part
of the programme. The hour of 11
o'clock, a. m., was fixed for the
opening of the exercises, which had
been extensively advertised in the
press and otherwise.

Shortly after the hour designated
the audience assembled in the hall,
which, it must be admitted was dis-
appointingly small, was called to order
by the president of the society, Prof.
Hardv, who said :

Before I have the honor of pre-
senting Governor Brown as the chair-
man of this occasion it will, I think.



be appropriate to say a few words
regarding the origin and purposes of
Constitution Day.

The year 1917, in which we en-
tered the World War, witnessed a
very general and salutary reassertion
of basic American principles. Loyal,
thoughtful Americans, from whatever
race descended, of whatever religious
creed and political affiliation, found
a common rallying-point in the doc-
trines and form of our national
government. It was in that year of

Prof. Ashley K. Hardy,
President of the N. H. Society, S. A. R.

1917, when we all at last saw that the
heritage handed down from the fath-
ers of the republic was in danger from
a foreign enemy, that the Sons of
the American Revolution inaugurated
the observation of Constitution Day,
September seventeenth, the day on
which one hundred and thirty years
before the great work of creating the
Constitution of the United States
was brought to a close. The idea of
commemorating this most significant
anniversary in our national life by ap-

propriate exercises has spread rap-
idly, until now the occasion is marked
by many thousands of local celebra-

Today we hold the first formal pub-
lic observance of Constitution Day in
New Hampshire, and we trust it will
be the precursor of many annual
commemorations in this and other cit-
ies of the state.

I now take pleasure in introducing
as President of the Day, His Excel-
lency, Albert O. Brown, Governor of
New Hampshire.

Prayer was then offered by the
chaplain of the society, Rev. Joseph
Presbey of Grasmere, following
which Mrs. Josephine J. Rolfe of
Concord, contralto of the Hanover St.
Congregational church of Manchester,
sang effectively two soloi : "The
Americans Come" (Foster) and
"There Is No Death" (O'Hara,) ac-
companied by Miss Ruth Bailey.

Governor Brown then gave the fol-
lowing introductory address :


A little more than a year and a
half ago, standing in this very place,
but acting in a different capacity, I
made these remarks: "New Hamp-
shire enjoys the unique distinction of
having possessed the first written con-
stitution adopted by any of the Amer-
ican colonies. This was followed in
a few months by a Declaration of In-
dependence, which was the first au-
thoritative and formal statement on
the part of any colony to renounce al-
legiance to the British crown. At the
time these instruments were promul-
gated, the war of the revolution had
long been in progress. Major Sulli-
van and his men had made the first
armed attack upon the military pow-
er of England. They had reduced
Fort William and Mary at Newcastle,
imprisoned the garrison, removed the
guns and transferred a hundred bar-
rels of powder to Durham. And
this powder later conveyed to Cam-



bridge, had been burned at Bunker
Hill, where New Hampshire farmers
and woodsmen constituted a majority
of the Colonial troops." It may now
be added that to them, more than to
all others engaged, belongs the glory
of that victory in defeat.

\;s New Hampshire began the open-
sing of the war at Portsmouth, so, also
she began its closing at Bennington.
It was there that resistance to our
arms reached its peak and began its
decline. New Hampshire men fought

Governor Albert O. Brown.

in every campaign and almost every
battle of the Revolution. Consider-
ing the character and the timeliness
of their services, it may well be
doubted whether the people of any
state did more than those of our
own to gain independence and pave
the way for the Constitution. And
none were more faithful in the con-
vention that drafted that instrument.
Therefore it was not inappropriate
that to them should fall the high priv-
ilege of casting the deciding vote for
its ratification. That vote was soon

followed by those of the four remain-
ing states. "Thus was achieved,"
says Judge Story, "another and still
more glorious triumph in the cause
of national liberty than even that
which separated us from the mother

But, as adopted, the constitution
was in. a practical sense largely "with-
out form and void." It remained for
New Hampshire's, I had almost said
America's, greatest son, to convert it,
after a generation of weakness and
comparative failure, by a series of
immortal arguments covering many

Online Library1884 numbers of the Bay state monthlyBe the first and subjects of first 10 volumes and List of porThe Granite monthly, a New Hampshire magazine, devoted to literature, history, and state progress (Volume 53) → online text (page 42 of 57)