1st session : 1889-1890) United States. Congress (51st.

The Antiquary (Volume 43) online

. (page 27 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

watch labels, sewn on coloured silk, and bearing in-
scriptions indicating that they were presents from the
ladies whose initials they bear. Similar embroidered
silk sampler labels are frequently found in watches
of about the commencement of last century. Mr.
Ranken also exhibited a case of small pistols, popu-
larly called ladies' pistols, dating from the first
quarter of the nineteenth century. They are of very
fine workmanship, under 5 inches in length, with
flint locks, the name of the maker, John M'Farlane,
being found in the directory of the time as a gun-
maker in Parliament Square, Edinburgh.

*>$ +$

At the meeting of the Bradford Historical and
Antiquarian Society on February 15, the Rev.
Bryan Dale in the chair, Mr. George Hepworth gave
a much appreciated illustrated lecture on " Yorkshire,
Historic and Picturesque."

At the meeting on March I, Mr. J. A. Clapham
presiding, Mr. W. A. Brigg lectured on " A Forgotten
Manor " viz., that of Exley, in the parish of Keighley.
Mr. Brigg produced a grant made in the fourteenth
year of the reign of Elizabeth from Francis Paslewe,
of Riddlesden, and Walter Paslewe, his son, to John
Paslewe, of Wiswall, in the county of Lancashire,



ANTIQUARIAN NEWS.



155



for ,300, and a previous grant of lands in the manor,
made in the twenty - fourth year of Henry VIII.
Certain entries in Kirkby's Inquest and in an Inquest
Post-mortem, made in 1546, on the death of Walter
Paslewe, were also read by Mr. Brigg to suggest that
the manor of Exley was a sub-manor of that of
Bingley, but he admitted that he was unable to throw
further light on the origin of the manor. It was
shortly afterwards sold by John Paslewe to the Lay-
cocks, of Carr Head, Cowling, and afterwards of
Lincolnshire, and was held by them until 1774, when
it was sold to Mr. George Griffin, and no further
evidence of its existence was known to him. Mr.
Brigg also read certain quaintly worded Chancery
proceedings which took place in the time of Elizabeth
between John Paslewe and Robert Rishworth, the
latter of whom eventually succeeded in ousting the
Paslewes from their Riddlesden estate. The lecture
gave rise to an interesting discussion. A vote of
thanks to the lecturer was proposed by the Rev.
Bryan Dale, and seconded by Mr. John Clapham.
Mr. Harry Speight, in supporting the motion, ex-
pressed a wish that Mr. Brigg would take up the task
of compiling a history of his own parish of Kildwick.

+ +$ ^

British Numismatic Society. February 20.
Mr. Carlyon - Britton, President, in the chair.
Lieutenant-Colonel H. W. Morrieson read a paper
on " The Influence of War on the Coinage of Eng-
land," in which he traced the close connection be-
tween the legends and devices of the money and
passing constitutional changes in the history of Eng-
land. In illustration of this subject the author, Mr.
Bernard Roth, and Mr. S. M. Spink exhibited a
large series of coins. Mr. Nathan Heywood con-
tributed a paper on " The Coins of the Ionian State,"
with special reference to the nineteenth century, and
exhibited a selection of the coinage. In a note on
the Irish copper pieces known as "St. Patrick's
Pence," Mr. W. Sharp Ogden made the suggestion
that they were issued for political purposes, and that
their legends would bear a double interpretation.
An autograph album, presented to the Society by
Mr. T. A. Carlyon, was exhibited, in which Her
Majesty Queen Alexandra and His Royal Highness
the Prince of Wales had graciously written their sig-
natures. Mr. Willoughby Gardner exhibited speci-
mens of the coins of Carausius recently found on the
Little Orme, North Wales ; Mr. L. A Lawrence three
varieties of the pennies of Edward the Confessor ;
Mr. A. H. Baldwin a seventeenth-century token
issued by Samuel Benet for his coach between the
Queen's Head, Windsor, and the Eagle and Child in
the Strand ; and Mr. Lionel L. Fletcher coins of the
Ionian Isles and Richard Greenwood's seventeenth-
century token of Dublin.

*$ ^ +Q

On February 26 Mr. Edward Wooler read a paper
before the Darlington Naturalists' Field Club
on " The Romans in and around Darlington."
There were no traces, he said, of the Roman occupa-
tion of Darlington proper, but in almost every direc-
tion around it many most interesting discoveries had
been made from time to time, which proved con-
clusively that there had been a more or less perma-
nent occupation by the Romans. For many years



he had been engaged in investigations having refer-
ence to the Roman occupation in the North, and
had made minute examinations of the ancient British
camp at Stanwick, which was the largest of the kind
that had been discovered in Great Britain. It appeared
to have been a gigantic but ineffectual attempt to repel
the Roman invasion. So huge was that encampment
it covered some 800 acres that he concluded that
several tribes sank their internecine differences and
combined to stem the progress of the invaders. He
conjectured that Caractacus, the chief of the Silures,
when defeated by Ostorius, sought refuge at Stanwick
camp, and was there betrayed into the hands of the
Romans byCartismandua, the Queen of the Brigantes.
Probably the name Catterick, given to a village but a
few miles away, commemorated the actual place of the
betrayal. But it was at Piercebridge that the most
definite and important traces of Roman occupation
had been discovered. The Romans had a military
station there some 230 yards west of the Watling
Street. It was 610 feet wide and 765 feet long, giving
an area within the walls of some iof acres, which was
a large size for a Roman station. Nearly 180 years
ago an aqueduct a yard wide and about 4 feet deep
was discovered. It had evidently been constructed
to supply the camp and its fosse with water ; and up
to the end of the eighteenth century the remains of a
Roman bridge across the Tees were distinctly visible.
In addition to a large number of coins, pieces of
Samian and other ware had been found at Pierce-
bridge, and a small bronze statue of Mercury, of
elegant workmanship, stone altars, and other in-
scribed or sculptured stones, and a stone coffin with
a skeleton 6 feet long. Near Cliffe Hall, close by, a
Roman memorial-stone was found.

$ $ ^

At the meeting of the Newcastle Society of
Antiquaries on February 27, Mr. F. W. Dendy
presiding, Mr. J. C. Hodgson, F.S.A., contributed a
" Note on the Devolution of Monastic Lands." He
submitted a table showing that, out of an aggregate of
5,505 parcels of tithes in England and Wales granted
to laymen and lay corporations, 1,429 were granted
by Henry VIII., 699 by Edward VI., 63 by Mary,
1,863 by Elizabeth, and 1,451 by ihe two Stuarts.

Mr. Maberley Phillips gave a researchful and
interesting lecture on " Manners and Customs in Our
Grandfathers' Times." It was illustrated by an
excellent series of limelight views, showing, among
other curious things, a pulpit hour-glass, such as was
formerly used in every pulpit in the country ; different
kinds of early coaches, wind and kite carriages ; the
first tram and railway ; a Newcastle pillory, and stocks
at Wallsend, Jarrow, and North Shields.

*>$ +Q +Q

A meeting of the Glasgow Archaeological
Society was held on February 22, Mr. J. D. G.
Dalrymple in the chair, when Mr. J. Hepburn
Millar read a paper on "The Pre-Union Legislation
of Scotland."

*X> $ $

Other meetings have been those of the Bristol and
Gloucestershire Arch/eological Society at
Bristol on February 20 ; the Sunderland Anti-
quarian Society on February 12, when Mr. Pater-

U 2



1 5 6



REVIEWS AND NOTICES OF NEW BOOKS.



son gave "Extracts from the Parish Registers
and Ancient Books of Boldon Church "; the annual
meeting of the Greenwich Antiquarian Society
on February 1 5 ; and a City perambulation by
members of the London and Middlesex Archaeo-
logical Society on March 9,



^mmm



iRemeto0 anD Notices
of iReto IB00U.

[Publishers are requested to be so good as always to
mark clearly the prices of books sent for review, as
these notices are intended to be a practical aid to
book-buying readers. ]

The Alhambra. By Albert F. Calvert. With
numerous coloured and other plates. London :
John Lane, 1907. Crown 4to., pp. lvi, 480.
Price 42s.

We have before had occasion to notice an instal-
ment of Mr. Calvert's elaborate review of " Moorish
Remains in Spain." The present volume, which is
confined to " the Acropolis of Granada," and appears
to be a new edition of a previous treatise, strikes us as
rather more satisfactory than its predecessor, although
it has similar virtues and defects. We find again the
same laborious enthusiasm for his subject, and the
same lavish display of illustration. The defects are
points which it would not be fair to dwell upon
before bestowing praise where praise is due.

Set on a forbidding fortress-rock, the Alhambra,
originally due to Mohammed I. (born in 1195), was
a palace where all was subservient to luxury.
To-day its remains are so gorgeous and its decay so
lovely that visitors are happily drawn rather by the
sheer pleasure of beauty than by those tragic in-
cidents, such as the murder of Yusuf in 1354, which
attract so many nowadays to places like Holyrood
Palace and the Tower of London. Mr. Calvert's
book contains really beautiful photographs of the
exquisite balcony of the favourite Lindaraja and the
fairy-land arcades and gardens of the Generalife,
especially a small one on p. 427. Among the
coloured plates, which are confined to the decorations
of the buildings, are a number which should be
valuable to architects and artists ; antiquaries will
be more interested in the figure-scenes painted on
the ceiling of the Court of Justice, and in separate
objects like the white, blue, and gold Arab Vase in
the Museum and the Arab Lamp in the Mosque.
The illustrations, as well as Mr. Calvert's running
text, show that the religion of the Moors forbade
symbolism in their ornament, but they make abun-
dantly clear the pitch to which they brought the
balance and contrast of the straight, the inclined, and
the curved.

A large proportion of the 300 and more plates are
obviously taken from old prints, and although Mr.
Calvert in his introduction acknowledges a debt to
the works of Jules Goury and J. C. Murphy of a
century ago, we must repeat that each plate should
contain its source for the sake of justice and archae-



ology alike. It seems to us scarcely right otherwise
to speak about giving " pride of place to the pictorial
side" of one's volume. And, frankly, we are rather
suspicious about the background of the author's cos-
tume portrait which serves as frontispiece. A serious
objection to the volume is its weight ; division into
two volumes, each with the handsome binding of the
one before us, would have caused less ache of wrist
to the hand which pens these lines of apprecia-
tion for a handsome and interesting publication.
W. H. D.

* * *
The Ancient Crosses and Holy Wells of
Lancashire. By Henry Taylor, F.S.A. Many
illustrations and maps. Manchester : Sherratt
and Hughes, 1906. Large Svo., pp. xxiv, 516.
Price 31s. 6d. net.
In the course of the last seven or eight years
Mr. Taylor has read a series of papers before the
Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society on the
ancient crosses and holy wells of Lancashire, and
these papers, thoroughly revised and abundantly
illustrated, are collected in the portly and handsome
volume now before us. Classifying the remains
under the Hundreds the ancient historical county
divisions of Lancashire, Mr. Taylor here gives a
descriptive account of the sites and remains (often
very fragmentary, occasionally surprisingly perfect)
of the boundary, market, wayside, preaching, church-
yard, and other crosses which abound throughout
Lancashire, and especially in the valley of the Ribble.
It is difficult in a brief notice to give an idea of the
wealth of material here brought together, not only
in connection with the immediate subject of the book,
but as illustrating history from very many points of
view. The sites of ancient crosses and holy wells
are naturally centres for much folk-lore, for a world
of religious and superstitious ceremonies and prac-
tices. Crosses were frequently planted on village
greens the natural meeting- places of early com-
munities hence much related lore. Similarly the
recording of market crosses involves a good deal
of early municipal history. In connection with
ecclesiastical crosses, Mr. Taylor uses most effec-
tively, quoting freely from it, the Cockersand Abbey
Chartulary. Incidentally there is much matter of
interest and importance bearing on the early history
of Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk, Bury, Preston,
and other Lancashire towns. Pre- Norman sculptures,
place-names, stocks, funeral customs, pre- Reformation
chapels, and Roman roads and stations, are among
the many subjects illustrated or discussed in these
pages. The whole book testifies to unbounded in-
dustry on the part of the author, and its publication
should do much to stimulate Lancashire antiquaries
to further research, for much of the matter is highly
suggestive. For example, the sites of so many
ancient crosses are here carefully traced and re-
corded, that we may hope with the author that " they
may lead to a careful examination of the localities,
and perhaps to discoveries of much value, for it is well
known that crosses were often buried to save them
from sacrilegious hands."

The illustrations are very numerous and most
useful. Besides some dozens of photographic plates
and line drawings of surviving crosses, of details of



REVIEWS AND NOTICES OF NEW BOOKS.



157



sculpture and the like, including folding - maps or
plans of old Liverpool, Preston, Manchester, and
Bury, there is prefixed to each of the six chapters
devoted to the remains in the respective Hundreds,
a large folding-map of the Hundred on which are
marked the sites of ancient crosses, pre- Reformation
churches, and monastic institutions. A glance at
these maps is sufficient to show the extraordinary
abundance of crosses in the county. There is a good
index, and the volume is in every way produced most
satisfactorily.

* * *
The Diary of John Evelyn. With an In-
troduction and Notes by Austin Dobson.
Illustrations. London: Macmillan and Co.,
Ltd., 1906. Three vols., 8vo., pp. lxxiv, 355 ;
vi, 420; vi, 479. Price 31s. 6d. net.
At last we have, if not the ideal, yet the best
edited and most pleasantly presented edition of
Evelyn that has so far tempted book-buyers. The
ideal edition can only be produced when the present
or some future owner of the original MSS. can be
prevailed upon to permit them to be used for a
thorough and systematic re-collation of the book.
In the meantime, a better presentation of the Diary
which is, strictly speaking, not a diary at all than
that contained in the three handsome volumes before
us can hardly be hoped for or desired. Apart from
the attractiveness of the text, here printed in delight-
fully bold, clear type, the edition has several specially
valuable features. Mr. Dobson, in his preface,
makes an apology, as an eighteenth-century student,
for appearing "in this particular galley of the
seventeenth century," but the apology is quite un-
necessary. In both the lengthy introduction and in
the very numerous notes which he has added to those
of his predecessors (which have also been thoroughly
overhauled and revised), Mr. Dobson shows those
same qualities of scholarly knowledge of detail, of
minuteness of accurate knowledge combined with
the power of writing prose which is both graceful
and virile, which have been the distinguishing marks
of the various charming volumes in which he has
dealt with eighteenth-century subjects. Besides the
introduction, notes, and bibliographical and other
appendices, there are two other special features
of this edition of Evelyn which must be noticed.
One is the splendid general index, which fills no less
than ninety-five double-columned pages ; the other
is the excellence of the illustrations. The latter have
been selected, as Mr. Dobson explains, "for their
informing rather than their pictorial quality," and are
as far as possible contemporary with the text ; hence
their genuinely illustrative value. They include por-
traits, maps, plans, and views of places associated
with Evelyn's own life, or mentioned in the pages of
the Diary.

Braintree and Booking. By May Cunnington
and S. A. Warner, B.A. Thirteen colour-
plates, six half-tones, and fifty line drawings.
London: Arnold Fairbairns, 1906. Large 8vo. ,
pp. viii, 56. Price 3s. 6d. net.
The sub-title describes this most attractively pro-
duced book as " A Pictorial Account of Two Essex
Townships." The letter-press is slight. The authors



have jotted down in rather jerky fashion a number of
interesting details relating to the history of the two
old parishes ; but with regard to Bocking Hall they




remark, "In the front door [of which and porch a
charming drawing is given] may be seen what some
think to have probably been a sanctuary ring."




This only shows that "some think," very foolishly.
The idea that the ordinary closing ring shown in the
drawing can be a sanctuary ring, or that a secular
domestic building could have such a ring is pre-



158



REVIEWS AND NOTICES OF NEW BOOKS.



posterous. Genuine sanctuary rings are extremely
rare. But the primary object of the book is pictorial,
and right well that object has been achieved. The
authors have done excellent service in preserving
those picturesque aspects of two old English town-
ships which are so rapidly disappearing. The dainty
colour - plates are most beautifully produced. It
would be difficult to find better reproductions in
colour than some of those in this book the " Wool-
pack Inn," for instance, facing p. 40, or the
" Bocking Hill," facing p. 34. The plates from
photographs and the line drawings are also excellent.
Three of the latter we are courteously allowed to re-
produce. They show three fine bosses which were
taken from the old north aisle roof of Braintree Church
in 1865 (the authors do not explain why they were
removed), atid, after passing through other hands,




fig. 3.

were bought in 1886 by the Vicar, f the Rev. J. W.
Ken worthy, n whose possession they remain. The
arms are described by the Rev. H. L. Elliot as
(1) a chevron and label of three points (Hanningfield
family) ; (2) seven mascles conjoined within a
bordure (Braybrooke) ; and (3) on a bend double
cottised three eagles displayed (Baddow-Nayling-
hurst). The book is a charming memorial of pleasant
scenes too rapidly passing away.
* * *
The Archeology of the Cuneiform Inscrip-
tions. By the Rev. A. H. Sayce. Many
illustrations. London : Society for Promoting
Christian Knowledge, 1907. 8vo., pp. 220.
Price 5s.
Professor Sayce here prints the Rhind lectures
which he delivered at Edinburgh last October, with
the addition of an article on " Canaan in the Century
before the Exodus," which first appeared in the
Contemporary Rez'iew for August, 1905. The weakest
part of the book seems to us to be that which deals



with the parallelisms in Egyptian and Babylonian
civilization. Here the author seems inclined to draw
conclusions which the facts hardly warrant. But for
the treatment of the main theme of the volume we
have nothing but praise. Professor Sayce has here
done admirable work in tracing in this usefully handy
form the story of the decipherment of the cuneiform
inscriptions, and the developments resulting from
that epoch-making discovery. Not only have we
here the story of the decipherment of the records,
and thereby the recovery of the early history of the
Empire of Assyria, with the result that Assyrian and
Babylonian civilizations have both been traced to the
earlier Sumerian race ; but Professor Sayce discusses
the problem as to whence came the Sumerian culture,
and seems inclined to look in a westerly direction for
its origin, perhaps to Armenia. The whole of this
part of his book is most suggestive, and deserving of
careful study. Professor Sayce also throws much
fresh light on the very difficult problems connected
with the Hittite race and language. We have not
space to consider in detail his discoveries and dis-
cussions, but can strongly commend the book to
every student of the ancient civilizations of the East,
The index might with advantage have been fuller.

Paradise Row ; or, 1 a Broken Piece of Old
Chelsea. By Reginald Blunt. With many
illustrations. London: Mactnillan and Co.,
1906. Medium 8vo., pp. xvi, 119. Price
10s. 6d. net.
" A single poor sentence of the topographer," says
Mr. Reginald Blunt, " may often represent the barren
yield of a long day at the British Museum," compared
with the outflow of a happy novelist's teeming fancy.
However this may be, Mr. Blunt has delved in central
and local archives to good purpose, for he has pro-
duced a charming book about an interesting, if
broken, " piece of old Chelsea." He doubts, with a
pride which must be pardoned in a resident, whether
" any other village road in Europe can boast associa-
tion with so many famous folk " as his 400 yards of
" a modest river by-way." Writing in the riverside
quiet of an eighteenth-century house a little higher
up the Thames than Chelsea, the present scribe can
share with Mr. Blunt the zest of the hunt for relics
and old prints of the bygone inhabitants, and the
echoes of the storied past ; he can add the satisfaction
of wishing to preserve the old structures and orna-
ments, the like of which Mr. Blunt so pathetically
and humourously laments in his final chapter of
" Unto this Last."

Built in 169 1, or even earlier in parts, Paradise
Row in Chelsea, sloping up from the river at Cheyne
Walk to the Chelsea Royal Hospital, provided homes
for two centuries for a number of famous men and
women. Their history is that of a London microcosm
of much fascination and variety. Bowack in 1705
wrote of Chelsea that "its vicinity to London has
been no small cause of its late prodigious growth ;
and, indeed, 'tis not much to be wondered at why a
place should so flourish where a man may perfectly
enjoy the pleasures of Country and City together,
and when he pleases, in less than an hour's time,
either by water, coach, or otherwise, beat the Court,
Exchange, or in the midst of his business. The walk



REVIEWS AND NOTICES OF NEW BOOKS.



*59



to town is very even and very pleasant." Many
notable dwellers in Paradise Row found it so the
Duchess of Mazarin, to whom and her gallant old
cavalier, M. de St. Evremond, Mr. Blunt devotes a
whole chapter, with a couple of rare portraits ; Sir
Hans Sloane, and his grand old Physic Garden ;
Edward, first Earl of Sandwich, with many another
figure of the Pepysian day ; Sir Francis Windham,
whose name prompts Mr. Blunt to give us a lively
account of the Boscobel adventures of Charles II. ;
Nell Gwynn, beloved of the Chelsea pensioners,
mother, at any rate, of a resident in the Row, that
princeling James Beauclerk, the first Duke of St.
Albans, of whose title Mr. Blunt tells us an anecdote,
and whose child portrait he reproduces in a quaint
old print by White ; Dr. Richard Mead, physician
to Queen Anne and George II., a great connoisseur
and a striking character ; Richard Suelt, prince of
comedians, and many another, even down to Charles
Keene of Punch fame, who lived in the Row for six
years from 1873. Ormonde House, the Ship House,
Walpole House, Gough House what a host of
associations they recall ! And in his sketch of the
Royal Hospital Infirmary, which alone of the hospital
buildings can be properly included in Paradise Row,
Mr. Blunt includes an elaborate portrait of that quaint
character Dr. Messenger Monsey, its physician and
surgeon from 1742 to 1788. One of the most remark-
able portraits which this volume contains, in addition
to a number of well-selected engravings, drawings,
and photographs of buildings now demolished, is
Mary Black's painting of Dr. Monsey, preserved in
the Royal College of Physicians.

Mr. Blunt (who, by the way, pays a discriminating
tribute to the work of old Faulkner) has given love
and zeal to his task. He may not always be safe in
his inferences ; for instance, he gives the slenderest
evidence for including Blanco White as a resident in
the Row the mere dating of a letter, with nothing
more circumstantial or definite to support it. But
his finely printed volume is a model of orderly and
delightful gossip about a corner of famous London
town, and should stimulate others to do the like