Abijah Perikins Marvin.

History of Worcester County, Massachusetts, embracing a comprehensive history of the county from its first settlement to the present time (Volume 2) online

. (page 1 of 87)
Online LibraryAbijah Perikins MarvinHistory of Worcester County, Massachusetts, embracing a comprehensive history of the county from its first settlement to the present time (Volume 2) → online text (page 1 of 87)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


m






''Cm::'







mi-




Class F" -n '.



Rnni r -^V a V4 g
Gopght N?

GOrailGHT DEPOSI&



U K >



;



I



r «



HISTOET

OF

WORCESTER COUNTY

MASSACHUSETTS,



EMBKACING A



COMPREHENSIVE HISTORY OF THE COUNTY

FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT TO THE PRESENT TIME,

WITH A

HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION OF ITS CITIES AND TOWNS.



im&tis^tjs^*.



IE" TWO VOLUMES.

Vol IL



BOSTON :

C. F. JEWETT AND COMPANY.
1879.



9r



Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1879,

By C. F. JEWETT & COMPANY,

In tbc OiTicc of the Librarian of Confess at Washington.



BOSTON :

WBIOnX AXD POTTEH rHINTINO COMPANY,

KO. 73 MILK STUEET.



c O ]Sr T E ]^ T s



YOL. II,



Leominster,
lunenbdkg,
Mendok,

MiLFOKD,
MiLLBURV,

New Brainteee,

northborough,

northbridge,

Oakham,

Oxford,

Paxton,

Petersham,

Phiixipston,

Princeton,

eoyalston,

Rutland,

Shrewsbury,

Southborough,

southbridge,

Spencer,

Sterling,

Stuebridge,

Sutton, .

Templeton,

Upton, .

uxbridgb,

Warren,

Webster,

Westborough,

West Bo-i-lston,

Westminster,

Winchendon,

Worcester, .



TOWNS IN WORCESTER COUNTY.



Hon. Charles H. Merriam,
Adin C. Estabrook, .
John G. Metcalf, M. D.,
Rev. Adin Ballon, .
George A. Stockwell, A. M.,
George K. Tufts, Esq.,
Rev. Horace Dutton,
Rev. Abijah P. Marvin, .
Maj. John B. Fairbank, .
George A. StockweU, A. M.,
George A. Stockwell, A. M.,
George W. Horr, LL. B.,
George W. Horr, LL. B.,
Hon. Charles Theodore Russell
George W. Horr, LL. B.. .
J. Warren Bigelow, Esq.,
George A. Stockwell, A. M.,
Dexter Newton, Esq.
Rev. Abijah P. Marvin,
Albert W. Curtis, Esq., .
Rev. Abijah P. Marvin, .
A. C. Morse, Esq.,
Rev. William A. Benedict,
Varanus P. Parkhurst, Esq.,
Hon. Velorous Taft,
George A. Stockwell, A. M.,
Mrs. Eunice P. Cutter,
Frederick D. Brown, M. D.,
Rev. Hemau P. De Forest,
Horatio Houghton, Esq., .
Jonas Sliller, Esq.,
Rev. Abijah P. Marvin, .
Charles A. Chase, A. M.,
[iii]



PAGE
1

28
42
64
100
118
128
140
157
169
189
199
215
228
243
258
269
284
295
314
340
353
372
389
409
431
437
456
479
500
515
526
548



CONTENTS.



• INDEX TO TOWNS.

669

Leouinsteb,

670

LUNENnUBQ,

671

JlEXDON

67-2

MiLFOUD,

673

MiLLBURY,

. 675
New Braistree,

. 675

NORTHBOROUGH

. 076
NORTUBRIDGE,

. 077
OAKUAil,

. 078
Oxford,

. 680
Paxton

. 680

rETERSIlAM,

. 681

PniLLIPSTON,

. 682
Pri>-ceton,

. 683

ROYALSTOJJ

. 684
Rutland,

. 685

SnilEWSBURY

. 686

SOCTUBOROUOn,

687

SofTIIllRIDGE,

. 688
Spencer

. 6SD
Steuung,

. 6U0
Sturbiudge

. 692
Sutton,

. 693

Templeton,

694

UlTON

695

USliRIDGE,

. 696

Warren,

693

Webster, ..."

. 699
Westborough, ...

. 700
West Boylston

. 701
Wkstminster,

. 702

WlNCIlKNDON,

„ 704

Wokckster,



LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS.



The Salisbnrj' Place, Leominster, ....

Manufactory of Joslin & AVilliams, Leominster,

Hoi.'CcImIc Machine Conipanj''s Works, Milford,

Estabrook, Wires & Co.'s Factor^-,

Portrait of Rev. Peter Whitney, ....

Olil Homestead of Rev. Peter Whitney. Northborough,

Whitinsville Cotton Mills, Northbridgc,

The AVhitin Macliine Works, " . .

Linwood Mill — Wliitin Bros., "

Paul Whitin Manufacturing Companj-'s Mill, Northbridge,

Memorial Building, Northbridge, ....

Wachusett House, Princeton, ....

Residence of Thomas Rico, Shrewsbury,

Old Homestead of Maj. Gen. A. Ward, Shrewsbury,

Sumner House, Shrewsbur}-, ....

Southbridge Print Works, Southbridge,

Marcy Homestead, "

Town Hall, Spencer, ......

Pope Mansion, Spencer, .....

Josiah Green & Co.'s Boot-factory, Spencer,

Residence of Levi Wilson, Usbridge,

C. A. & S. M. Wheelock's Mill, Oxbridge, .

Rivulet Mill, Uxbridge,

Residence of H. N. Slater, Webster,
H. N. Slater's Cambric Works, "
Portrait of Samuel Slater, " . .

H. N. Slater's Cotton Mill, " . .

" Woolen Mill, " . .

[V]



Facing page 16
24



LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS.



The Dr. William Paiue House, Worcester,
The Chandler House, Worcester, .
Forehand & Wadsworth Manufactory, Wouostcr,
Loriug Goes & Co.'s Wrench-factory,
Works of Rice, Barton & Fales,
Washburn Iron Company's Works, "

Old South Church, Worcester,
All Saints' Church, " . • •

Salisbury Mansion, " .

Public Library Building, Worcester,
Washburn & Moen Manufacturing Co.'s Works, Worcester,
Residence of A. MacuUar, Worcester,
" " Geo. Cioinpton, "

,T. n. & G. M. Walker's Factory, "

^Manufactory of T. K. Earle & Co. "

Residence of T. K. Earle, "

Residence of Loring Coes, "

Crompton Loom Works, "

Crompton Carpet Co. "

Residence of J. H. Walker, "

Residence of Geo. S. Barton, "

Union Passenger Station, "

Residence of Warren McFarland, "

Residence of J. Edwin Smith, "

Portrait of Levi Lincoln, "

Ames Plow Company's Building, "

Salisbury Building, "

Arcade Malleable Iron Works,

E. W. Vaill's Chair Works, "

Stephen Salisbury's Factories, "

Portrait of Ichabod Washburn, "



Facing page 550
550



HISTORY OF WORCESTER COUNTY.

Vol. II.



LEOMINSTER,



BY HON. CHARLES II. MERRIAM.



CHAPTER I.



ORIGINAL GRANTS BOUNDARIES AND SURFACE GEOLOGICAL STRUCTURE

STREAMS AND "WATER-SYSTEM FREEDOM FROM INDIANS FIRST SETTLE-
MENT proprietors' AGREEMENT PROGRESS FAVORABLE SITUATION

INDIAN DEED OF THE TOWN.

This town, situated in the north-easterly part of the county of Worcester,
forty miles l^y carii:igc-road and forty-six miles l)y the Fitchburg Railroad, and
fifty-three miles by the Old Colony Railroad, from Boston, and twenty miles
from Worcester, was formerly — a large share of it — apart of Lancaster ; being
substantially the northerly half of what was called the "Lancaster New" or "Ad-
ditional Grant," a tract of land conveyed by George Tahanto, Sagamore of the
Nashua tribe of Indians, to Insigne John Moore, John Houghton, and Nathan-
iel Wilder, dated June 13, 1701, and recorded in the Propiietors' Records,
now deposited with the records of the town of Leominster, and confirmed to
the town of Lancaster by an order of the General Court, passed Nov. 21 and 22,
1711. To this was afterwards added, by chapter 10(3, Acts of 1838, a part of
the unincorporated laud lying westerly of the first tract, called "No Town."
The first tract contained 1G,(502 acres, or thirty-eight acres less than twenty-six
square miles, .according to a survey made by Jonas Kendall, Charles Grout,
Levi Nichols, David Wilder, and Joseph G. Kendall, as a committee of the
town, in the year 1830; and the second, or "No Town" tract, about 2,000
acres, or a little over three square miles, making the present area about
twenty-nine square miles. This territory is mostly quite regular in shape,
and is bounded northerly by Fitchburg and Lunenburg ; easterly, by Lunen-
burg and Lancaster ; southerly, by Sterling ; and westerly by Princeton and
Westminster. The Lancaster "New Grant," including that part of it now



2 TOWN OF LEOMINSTER.



in Sterlinir, was dcserihcil l)y the committee of the Council sent out to examine
it, wliiio the subject of confirmation was IjcCorc the (ioncral Court, as "rocliy
and mountainous and poorly accommodated with meadow." Such, however,
would not soeiu to l.o a hiv description of it at the present time ; certainly not
that part of it in Leominster, the town of Leominster being considered one of
the best agricultural towns in the comity. It is true that the surface is uneven
and that there arc twelve distinct hills, of greater or less magnitude, dotting
the various sections, the names of which are " Bigolow Hill," " North Monoos-
nock Hill." "Carter Hill," "Nichols' Ilill," and "Houghton Hill," in the northern
portion ; "South Monoosnock Hill," "Sheldon Hill," "Gardner IIiU," "Baherry
Hill," and "Long Hill," in the central ; and "Rocky Hill" and "Bee," or "Legato
Hill," in the southern portion. F.ut only a small portion of the town is mountain-
ous or abrupt in formation, and seven out of the twelve hills arc cultivated, or
capable of cultivation, to their very tops, having good roads over them, access-
ible in ;ill parts for agricultural purposes, and furnishing some of the best grass
Mild tillage land in the State. The other hills, especially North and South
Monoosnock, arc, in some parts, high, steep, and of granite formation; and
grow nothing in these parts, and furnish nothing of value, except wood and a
handsome variety of dark granite, suitable for building purposes and stone-
masonry generally, for which it has been, and is now, used quite extensively
ill loun and somewhat elsewhere. Other portions of the tivo hills are cul-
ti valid, an



Online LibraryAbijah Perikins MarvinHistory of Worcester County, Massachusetts, embracing a comprehensive history of the county from its first settlement to the present time (Volume 2) → online text (page 1 of 87)