Albert B Osborne.

Makers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) online

. (page 21 of 48)
Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 21 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


were just commencing to feel the good. In these things alone he
has builded a monument to his name in the South which can never
be erased from Southern history.

"Next to the love and protection of his family came the South-
ern Road, its employees and the public it served. Loyal and lov-
able, a man moulded in the school of experience, he knew and
felt for those employed under him. The day laborer received his

courtesy, the same as did his fellow officials."

**********

-Atlanta, Georgia, Journal of Labor, November 28, 1913.

''William W. Finley was a great and beneficent factor in the
progress of his country, which he served with marked originality,
daring initiative, tireless industry and surprising ability. He
was a builder and a developer as well as an architect and a de-
signer. Putting off old things and adopting new methods, he was
no mere empiricist, but a clear visioned creator of conditions
w r hich he afterward manipulated so magnificently.
Disposing of enormous tasks himself, he gave intelligent and con-
centrated direction to the efforts of others, and by removing fric-
tions, inharmonies and antagonisms, led his forces along the lines
of least resistance to the goal of greatest efficiency. *
It is the good fortune of few times and few sections of country
to produce such a man, and, once arrived, he can never be lost
because his works remain behind him." Memphis, Tennessee,
Commercial Appeal, November 26, 1913.

The family of Finlay (the Scottish way of spelling) is de-
scended from Findlay Mor, who migrated to the Lowlands in the
sixteenth century. They are of the clan Farquharson, many of
whom went over into Ireland.

Michael Finley, the first of the name in America, came with

u /

his family in 1734, from County Armagh, Ireland, to Philadel-
phia. It is probable that quite a number of Ulster Scots came at
the same time. His brother Archibald was with him. Samuel,
his son, became a distinguished Divine. His monument is in the
cemetery at Princeton, and bears the following inscription,
copied from the historical collections of New .Jersey:

PRINCETON MONUMENT IN GRAVEYARD.

Memorial sacrum reverendi Samuelis Finley, S. T. D. collegii
Neo-Csesarien sis praesidis, Armachae in Hibernia natus, A. D.,



WILLIAM WILSON FINLEY 275

1715. lu American! migravit, anno 1734. Sacris ordinibus in-
iatus est anno 1743, apud Novrum Brunsvicum Neo-Csesariensium.
Ecclesise Nottingham! Pennsylvaniensium, mnnus pastorale sus-
cepit. 14 Kal Jul. 1774; ibique, academic celeberrimse din prae-
fuit. Designates praeses collegii Neo-Caesariensis officium inivit
id. Jul. 1761. Tandem dilectus, veneratus, omnibus fiendus, morti
accubuit Philadelphia, 15 kal. Sextilis, A. D. 1766. Artibus
literisque excultus prae cseteris prsecipue innitui rerum divina-
rium scientia. Studio divinse glorise flagrans, sumniis opibus ad
veram religionem promovendam, et in concionibus, et in sermone
familiari operam semper navabat. Patientia, modestia, mansue-
tudo miranda animo moribusque enituerunt. Oh charitatem, ob-
servantiani, vigilantiam, erga juvenes fidei suae mandates fuit
insignissimus ; moribus ingeunas, pietate sincera vixit omnibus
dilectus moriens triumphavit.

The Finleys of New Jersey gave many soldiers to the army
during the Revolutionary War, among them Corporal James
Finley and Corporal John Finley, both of whom were wounded
on March 21, 1778. William Finley was a Lieutenant. The Fin-
leys removed to Maryland, where Michael Lewis Finley was born.

*/ \j -

He married Anne Griffith, whose mother was a Ridgely of that
State. Their only son, Lewis Augustus, was born in Baltimore
in 1815, and was taken while young by his parents to Louisiana.
He was educated and lived in New Orleans, where he was well
known and esteemed in banking and social circles. He married
Lydia Rebecca, daughter of Leonard Matthews and Jane (Lev-
ering) Matthews, both of whom were of old Maryland families,
who had removed to Louisiana. As stated above, William Wilson
Finley was one of their sons.

The Leverings were a Huguenot family, who fled to Holland
or Germany. There Rosier Levering married Elizabeth Van de
Wulle, and came to America bringing two sons, Wygard and Ger-
hard. Jean Levering was descended from Wygard, and her
mother or grandmother was the daughter of William Wilson, the
senior in the largest shipping company of Baltimore.

As shown in the references made to the forebears of Mr.
Finley, they were of an old and distinguished family, and were
ever ready to respond to their country's call when she needed
men to uphold her rights and defend her homes. It is wise and
instructive to collect and study the salient points in the career
of a man who has stood strong for the manly things of life and
who has shed new lustre on family and nation. Such an account

/

affords a healthy stimulus to the ambition of the youth of our
land, that they may learn that success such as that crowning the
work of William Wilson Finley is to be attained only by right
living and earnest endeavor toward the goal in view; together
with faith in the country and in its high ideals.



SAMUEL LEE DAVIS

SAMUEL LEE DAVIS of High Point, North Carolina, is
the son of Daugan Oslow Davis and his wife, Lucinda Hill.
For many years his people have engaged in agricultural
pursuits, wresting from the soil their daily bread, enjoying
the charms of nature and living the "life simple" as only the
farmer can.

In ante belluin days the South was primarily an agricultural
country, the great majority of its better class of people possess-
ing large estates and raising enormous crops, especially of cotton.
In Virginia and the Carolinas many planters also raised large
fields of tobacco. Since the Civil War this section of the country
has grown into more of a manufacturing center and large fac-
tories have arisen furnished with up-to-date machinery for the
manipulating and manufacturing of cotton and other local
products.

Oslow Davis was a farmer of Randolph County, North Caro-
lina, and there, near Skein Mill, was born his son, Samuel Lee,
May 24, 1868.

Despite the trying times, Samuel received all the educational
advantages possible after attending school at the Oak Ridge In-
stitute. He entered the University of North Carolina, in the
class of 1892.

Not inheriting a taste for agriculture, and using his acquire-
ments to the best advantage, Mr. Davis taught school at Ingram,
Virginia, from 1893 to 1894, and at Oak Ridge Institute from
1895 to 1896. He then accepted a position as traveling salesman
for a furniture house and was on the road for two years.

At present, as Secretary and Treasurer of the Southern
Chair Company of High Point, North Carolina, he is rendering
competent service and, believing that ignorance is the greatest
drawback to any business, he is endeavoring to bring the best
and most intelligent talent to safeguard the interests of the
institutions with which he is connected. Mr. Davis is a director
of the Bank of Commerce of High Point.

The mother of Mr. Davis is descended from Cyrus Hill of
Scotland, who married a Miss Stearage there, and brought her
to this country. His grandmother on his mother's side was a
Miss Peacock, descended from a family whose name was early
associated with the colonies as shown by the various State
Records.

[276]



SAMUEL LEE DAVIS 279

In O'Hart's "Modern Irish Gentry," is record of one Don
Jorge Peacock, Cadet, from Ireland, who served in the Spanish
War, in 1768. Previous to that, among the surnames of the
''Adventurers for Lands in Ireland," between the years 1642 ami
1646, is found the name Peacock, which shows that the family
was originally English, and some member more venturesome
than the rest, took up land in Ireland.

Mr. Davis' grandfather, Greenberry Davis, married a Miss
Spurgeon. Of this marriage there were five children; two girls
and three boys: Daugan Oslow, Norman and Wesley. Of these
boys, Daugan Oslow was Mr. Davis' father, Norman is still living,
and Wesley, a valiant soldier, was killed in the Civil War.

Of the marriage of Daugan Oslow Davis and Lucinda Hill,
besides Samuel Lee, there were James C., Sarah, Harvey L., Mary,
Gertrude, Jessie, and Hurley. Daugan died October 24, 1877.

Mr. Davis is a Democrat, a member of the City Council ami
a trustee of the City Schools. He is also a Shriner of the Ma-
sonic Order, a Modern Woodman of the World, Travelers' Pro-
tective Association, and the Junior Order of United American
Mechanics.

His religious convictions are with the Methodists, and if not
an ardent member, he is at least a consistent supporter of that
congregation.

In December, 1899, Mr. Davis married Miss Claudia H. Halli-
day, of Marion, South Carolina, daughter of Joseph Halliday.
They have one child, a son, Samuel Davis, Jr., who is now four-
teen vears old and attending the school in his native town.

t>

Mrs. Davis is most probably descended from either Thomas
or Samuel Halliday, the former of whom was serving in the
Edenton Court, on a jury in 1728. The latter was in possession
of two hundred acres which had been granted by his late Excel-
lency Governor Johnston to a certain Jacob Crosby on November
22, 1783. Samuel lived in Dobbs County, North Carolina.

The "s" in Davis means "son of," this name having been con-
tracted from Davieson. Davie is the diminutive for David which
conies from the Hebrew and signifies "beloved." The family was
represented in Scotland by Mac Dabhaighe, anglicized Davie ami
modernized Davies and Davis.

The Davis family in Galway County, Ireland, of Fahy.
Longhrea, shows the following : William Davis of Aughrim, died
1721 ; son Geoffrey Davis died 1757 ; son Kobert Davis born 1737,
died 1813; son John Davis of Fahy, who married Jasper Kelly
of the Kelly family of Turrick, Castle Park, near Mr. Talbot.
The patrimony of the Mac David Mor family lay about Glas-
carrig, County Stafford, and is now known as the Macnaniores.
Redmond Mac David Mor was the chief of this sept in 1611, and
the descendants in the last two centuries, particularly those who
emigrated to America, became Davis instead of Mac David.



280 SAMUEL LEE DAVIS

"The Davies of Gwysany (Mold, Flintshire, England) have
ranked for centuries among the first families of North Wales.
They derived an unbroken descent from the famed Cymric Efell,
Lord of Eylwys Eyle, who lived A. D. 1200, son of Madoc HJ
Meredith, Prince of Powys Fadoc, sixth in descent from and heir
of Merwyn, King of Powys, third son of Rodic Maur."

"The family was first known as Davies in 1581 when Robert
ap David of Gwysany assumed it, and obtained from the heralds
of England confirmation of the family arms and grant of crest
and motto as they now appear."

''Gwysany, which had been the seat of the family from the
earliest known period, stands upon high ground nearly six hun-
dred feet above the level of the sea, and about two miles from the
town of Mold, which was anciently called by the Romans 'Mons
Albus,' and by the Britons 'Yr Wydd grug,' meaning a lofty and
conspicuous hill."

The English seat of the Davis family is in Kent. One early
ancestor, for the families were numerous along the Plymouth
coast, came from Roxbury in 1642, to New England, and the old
Davis homestead is well worth visiting, containing, as it does,
solid mahogany hand carved staircases, imported from England,
and spacious kitchen fireplaces seven and a half feet high.

George Davis of Boston left there, in 1644 and went to North
Carolina. In his will he provided for sons, Benjamin and Jo-
seph, and five daughters.

It is thought that Mr. Davis' grandfather, Greenberry Davis,
came direct from Ireland, but the names, Davis and Ouslow as
well as that of Hill occur throughout the Colonial records of
Mr. Davis' native State, showing that these families have been
located there for many years.

In Virginia, in the year 1755, among the freeholders in Fair-
fax County were the following: David Davis, Edward Davis,
Thomas Davis, Isaac Davis and Joseph Davis.

Judging from all accounts, genealogical and historical, the
members of the Davis family have always been the first to rally
to the standard, and the last to leave, whether vanquished or
victorious.

Colonel Jesse Davis, prominent in the early days, is a worthy
example of the strong, energetic intelligent farmer. His decision
of character and high moral courage distinguished him among
his fellow men in the community where he lived. The chief means
of transporting market produce, in those days was by means of
the flat-boats plying up and down the rivers. The Colonel's self-
reliance and perseverance are well illustrated by an incident
which occurred during his years of farming. He started with a
load of produce up the Kanawha River, hoping to exchange it
to advantage at the Virginia salt works. Finding the market



SAMUEL LEE DAVIS 281

already overcrowded he pushed his craft up into the rich grazing
region of the White Eiver where he knew salt would be in de-
mand. Keceiving in exchange a boatload of valuable cattle, he
sailed down to New Orleans, realized a goodly sum of money
and returned home having been gone a year and a half.

One son of the Davy family of Sandford in 1500 was Major
of Exeter three times. He was noted for his charity and a monu-
ment has been erected to his memorv in the church of St. Marv

C- V

Arches, Exeter.



JESSE FRANKLIN HAYDEN

JESSE FRANKLIN HAYDEN of High Point, North Caro-
lina, comes of worthy ancestors. Other branches of this
family in America and in the old countries spell the name
variously Hadeu, Heyden, Haydn. In Mr. Hayden's partic-
ular line the name has been spelled Haden until recent years, the
form Hayden not having been adopted until about 1890. Hay or
Haw, the hedge or enclosure, and don or donne, the hill, taken
together form Haydon, the hedge, or enclosure, at the slope of
the hill. This is found to be the origin of the name. Others of
a similar derivation are Hayward, the keeper of the enclosure,
and Haycroft, who resides within the enclosure.

t/ s

There is record of one Richard de Hayden, County York, as
early as 1273. There were nobles named Hay, possessing lands
in Normandy and one of the followers of William the Conqueror
was Le Sieur de la Hay.

i/

The whole world knows of the Austrian Franz Joseph Haydn
of 1732-1809, whose music will live through all ages; all have
heard of Benjamin Robert Hayden of 1786-1846, the English
painter and writer ; and who is unfamiliar with the name of Fer-
dinand Vandeveer Hayden of Massachusetts, the celebrated geolo-
gist. In every age there have been Haydens of fame and dis-
tinction.

There were Haydens who, generations ago, came from Eng-
land to the New England colony, and there were others of the
name Avho settled farther down the Atlantic Coast, some of them
having been recorded previously to 1650. Those in New England
have kept records carefully, and have held in their possession the
same lands through all the changes of years. In the Southern
States family data has not been so carefully treasured, and of
the records kept many have been destroyed, so that missing links
are the result.

The direct ancestors of Jesse Franklin Haydeu settled in
either Virginia or New Jersey. There is some uncertainty re-
garding the location of their first home in America and the exact
time of their emigration, and the personal names of the first
comers are not known.

Authentic information begins with one William Haden who
came to North Carolina previous to the Revolutionary War. He
established a home and owned extensive lands along the South
Yadkin River, north of Salisbury, North Carolina. He also

[ 282 ]



JESSE FRANKLIN HAYDEN 285

operated a mill on Swan Creek, which after his death passed into
the possession of his sou, Douglas. He died at an old age in 1790
and was survived by his wife, Unity (or Eunice) ; a son, Douglas
Haden; and daughters, Geny (or Jenny), who in 1783 married
Joseph Haden and had children: Ritta, Joseph, Judith Hughes
and Ann Wyatt; Elizabeth, who in 1804 married Charles Bur-
rows; Mollie, who in 1790 married John Marshall and had chil-
dren ; Benjamin, Daniel and Ruth ; Sallie, who married Mr. Mer-
rell and had a son, Timothy.

Douglas Haden in 1780 obtained by grant an extensive tract
of land on the north side of South Yadkin River and lying on
both sides of the main Yadkin River. He died in 1801 leaving a
wife, Elizabeth, and sons: Billy Douglas and Jesse.

Jesse Haden in 1798 received half of the above tract and in
1801 bought four hundred acres of his mother's land. In 1797
he married Rosanna, daughter of John and Agnes Sloan who
lived at Trading Ford. Jesse received from John Sloan a large
tract of land lying along Potts Creek out of a tract which Mr.
Sloan had received by grant from the Earl of Granville. It was
on this tract that Jesse established his home, erecting a mill and
followed the occupation of farming and milling. A portion of
the tract is still known as the "Haden Mill Place" and is in
possession of the family. Jesse Haden (1776-1836) and his wife,
Rosanna Sloan (1778-1831), had five daughters and one son:
Elizabeth, 1798-1853, who married William Pinkstone, 1836-1841 ;
Nancy, 1799-1860, who married in 1816 Colonel John P. Hodgins,
17944825, and later married Ira Fitzgerald, 1803-1847; Jane,
1801-1840, who married Colonel Casper Smith, (1795-1840) ; Ros-
anna, 1824, who married Meshack Pinkstone; Lucinda, who
married Charles T. Lippard; and Franklin W. Haden, (1811-
1856), who married Arena Miller, (1816-1872), in 1835 and
continued his residence at the homestead of his father, following
the same calling that of farming and milling. His wife was the
daughter of Thomas and Nancy (Griswold) Miller. Shortly after
the marriage her parents moved to Petersburg, Indiana. The
children of Franklin and Arena, born at the old homestead, were :
five sons, J. Hamilton, (1837-1868) ; Albert L., (1847-1892) ;
Charles A., (1840-1897) ; Jesse Thomas, (1838-1892), who married
Mandy Fowler of Indiana; Burgess F. Hayden, w r ho married
Mary Levina Cauble ; and one daughter, Ellen, who married C. G.
Harris.

The eldest son, Burgess Franklin Hayden, born in 1836, was
a farmer and miller and resided a short distance from the home-
stead. He was educated at Trinity College, North Carolina, and
at Bryant and Strattons Business College, Philadelphia. During
the Civil War, desirous of being of service to his State in her
hour of need, he went to the Charleston Navy Yards and served



286 JESSE FRANKLIN IIAYDEN

in the capacity <>!' shipbuilder. In 1SGO he married Mary Levina,
1837-11 Hi;, daughter of Peter and Polly Cauble (sometimes spelled
Coble). The Caubles were of Rowan County and were descended
from immigrants of Southwestern Germany. In this county were
ninny who came from the Palatinate, and from Hesse Cassel,
along the upper and middle Rhine. History speaks of them as a
people of sterling qualities and valuable to any community.

To Burgess F. Harden and Levina, his wife, were born four
children : two daughters and two sons, Manco, who died in early
childhood ; Laura, who married Reverend William H. Townsend ;
Ada, who married Doctor Isaac H. Lutterloh; and Jesse F. Hay-
den of this sketch. Burgess F. died in 1906.

Jesse F. Harden was born near Linwood, North Carolina,

/

February 14, 1875. After a childhood spent on the farm he was,
when of suitable age, sent to Tyro Academy, Lexington Seminary
and Thompson School, all in North Carolina. Following this
preliminary schooling with a college course, he graduated in 181W
from Trinity College, Durham, North Carolina.

Two years after leaving college he embarked on a business
career, which has met with steadily increasing success. Very
much credit is due Mr. Hay den, for, although handicapped by the
lack of capital at the start, he has built up a business which is a
testimonial of his industry and good judgment. Without money
he established an Independent Telephone Exchange at Thomas-
ville, North Carolina. By securing a franchise and selling stock
he gathered funds sufficient for the purchase of building material,
and most of the work of erecting and running the plant was done
by himself. Taking payment in stock, he, in this way, secured a
two-third interest in the company. This company, now T in its
nineteenth year, operates five hundred and fifty telephone sta-
tions and has in addition a successful long distance business.

In less than two years the plant in Thoniasville was so firmly
established and thriving so well that Mr. Hayclen sought other
opportunities for venture. Following his method of applying his
earnings as payment of his investments, he, again without money
but by giving his note, bought a half interest in a small telephone
exchange being operated in High Point, North Carolina. At that
time the company had only sixty telephones, but had attained
great prosperity. In 1905 it was incorporated as the North State
Telephone Company. From sixty telephones the business has
grown until now the company operates sixteen hundred and fifty
stations besides long-distance toll lines which run into Greens-
boro, Winston-Salem and numerous other points. Needless to
say Mr. Hayden's note was soon paid. The figures show this com-
pany to have grown wonderfully in the few years since its incor-
poration.

Mr. Hayclen has further invested in the Lexington Telephone



JESSE FRANKLIN HAYDEN 287

Company, and in the Bandleman Telephone Company. These
enterprises also are meeting with success, and by the four com-
panies three thousand telephone stations are now operated.
These companies are independent and have no connection with
the lines of the Bell Telephone Company. They connect, how-
ever, with those of the Postal Telegraph Company and have
extensive toll connections with other independent lines.

The success of these companies is attributed by Mr. Hayden
to popular rates, courteousness and, in general, to the high grade
of efficiency in their service. His opinions on the telephone dif-
fer materially from those of many others in that field of opera-
tion and his success goes far to prove that his views have the
right trend. He says that under his methods telephone users
especially have been benefited.

In each of the aforenamed companies and in one other, Mr.
Hayden holds official positions of importance. He is President
of the Kandleman Telephone Company; President of the Salis-
bury Independent Telephone Company; Secretary and Treasurer
of the Thomasville Company, and Manager of the North State
and the Lexington Telephone Companies.

Mr. Hayden has been keenly alive to the needs of the tele-
phone service and his brain is ever busy with schemes for its
improvement. Developing some latent inventive faculty he has
perfected an improved automatic cord circuit for manual tele-
phone switchboards. In addition to the usual automatic features
which recently have been applied to manual switchboards, his
design includes a simple and practical automatic "Busy Signal."
The use of this device will materially simplify the work of the
operator. It has been assigned to the Kellogg Switchboard and
Supply Company of Chicago and is expected to be put to prac-
tical use in the near future.

Mr. Hayden has attempted to prove the complete success of
an independent telephone system and up to the present time his
efforts have been amply rewarded.

As an American citizen Mr. Hayden exercises his right to
full and free opinions on all governmental questions and adds the
weight of his influence according to his convictions by voting for
the Democratic party.

Further than that, he is not a politician; he has not held
political offices, nor has he had desire to do so. Neither has he
cared to affiliate with clubs or societies of any kind. He is a
member of the Wesley Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church,
South.

On March 12, 1902, he was married at Thomasville to Miss
Velva Green. She was born on June 17, 1885, at Thomasville, and
is the daughter of John Alpheus and Almeda (Hoover) Green.
Mr. and Mrs. Hayden are the proud parents of four children:
Nellie Lee, Elizabeth Mae, Velva, and Margaret.



JAMES ALEXANDER CARROLL

THE branch of the Carroll family to which James Alex-
ander Carroll of Gaffney, Cherokee County, South Caro-
lina, belongs, was in Halifax County, Virginia, where
they did good service during the Revolution, in which
war William Carroll, his grandfather made a good record for
himself.

At a later date Thomas, his son, with his wife, Lucinda



Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 21 of 48)