Albert B Osborne.

Makers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) online

. (page 24 of 48)
Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 24 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Haywood, White Hill and Sanford churches, as his lot was cast
among them. He was a charter member of this church and our
senior elder and clerk of the session. He was faithful to his work
even unto death. Truly a great man has fallen in Israel. He
was the last of his generation."

In the July preceding his death, Major Scott was asked to
give a word of advice to young men starting in life. His reply
was:

"Don't spend all you make, but lay up something, no matter
how small the beginning. That is the whole secret of the thing.
No matter what may be your occupation, don't spend all your
income, but save, if it is only a few cents a month. When you
accumulate then invest at interest. Be prudent in all things and
above all, be temperate. That is the best route to success of which
I know."

It is apparent from this advice that Major Scott was a
strong believer in the virtues of economy, prudence and temper-
ance. Having practiced these virtues for a life which extended
over more than four-fifths of a century, he had learned their
value. He was one of the old school of business men, who did not
believe in get-rich-quick policies. He knew by his own experi-
ence, and by his acute observation, that the business edifice not
based upon the sound foundation of integrity and economy could
not endure. Some day the American people as a whole will learn
this lesson, but it is going to be learned only at great cost.

Major Scott was a man of profound convictions. In politics
he was a Democrat of the straitest sect. In fraternal circles he
was a Mason, and in religion a Presbyterian. He abhorred waste,
and took great pleasure in seeing his neighbors practice economy,
but when it came to cases of need and to the support of beneficial
organizations he was always ready to make liberal response. He



316 JOHN WIN SLOW SCOTT

was a Democrat in more than the party sense, in habit and in life,
and was himself unassuming, accessible, long suffering and
patient with the shortcomings of people around him.

In newspaper notices of his death some things were cited
that are worth remembering. Notwithstanding the strength of
his convictions, we are told that he was tolerant of those who
differed with him. That is a very strong quality. One of the
papers speaking of him said that he left an example well worthy
of emulation. Another paper in concluding a press article upon
his record said : "Eighty-four years is a long time to live, but at
every point and in every circumstance of life Major John W.
Scott played the part of a man and walked worthily." Can more
than that be said of any man? For the last few years of his life
he was not in active business, but he retained the same keen inter-
est in the community life, in State and in general affairs which
had characterized him through life. His opinions on all matters
of a public character were always clear-cut and pronounced, for
being a man of no concealments he was always outspoken. The
esteem in which he was held in the community in w T hich he lived
was evidenced at his funeral. He died on the train while return-
ing home from a short stay at White Sulphur Springs, and when
the train reached Sanford several hundred people had assembled
at the station to pay their respects and assist in any way that
might be possible. When the funeral services w^ere held on Sun-
day afternoon, in the Presbyterian Church, hundreds attended,
and the church could not begin to hold the people who desired to
be present. He was the oldest citizen of the town in years, its
largest property owner, and he had so conducted himself that
when in the ripeness of years he was called away the community
felt indeed that a leader had fallen.




OHN C. CORRIHER



FANNIE E. CORRIHER

NO regiment in the Confederate army saw harder service
or acquitted itself more gallantly than the 57th North
Carolina Infantry, in which Philip William Carpenter,
of Lincoln County, distinguished himself during the
Civil War, serving respectively as Second Lieutenant, First Lieu-
tenant and then Captain of Company "G." Captain Carpenter's
daughter, Mrs. Fannie E. Corriher of China Grove, North Caro-
lina, and her family, take a just pride in her father's record, and,
emulating his example, she has, in her own sphere, been devoted
to the welfare of her native State.

Captain Carpenter was in temporary command of the regi-
ment for a time at Petersburg, Virginia, in February 1865, while
awaiting the arrival of Colonel Hamilton Jones. Colonel Jones
in speaking of Captain Carpenter, said: "He was a most gallant
and efficient officer who had borne a part in nearly every struggle
in which the regiment had been engaged." During the conflict
between the Union and the Confederate forces, on the morning
of March 25, 1865, when the boys in gray stormed and captured
Fort Steadman, Captain Carpenter was a conspicuous figure.
Inspired by their victory, the Confederates, at daybreak, made an
attack on some heavily armed Union earthworks nearby. Colonel
Jones of the 57th was wounded and command of the regiment
devolved upon Captain Carpenter. Orders were finally given to
retreat, and "in spite of the murderous crossfire to which they
were subjected," the young commander brought his regiment off
the field in good order.

When the war was over and families were once more united,
little Fannie and her sisters never tired of the stories told by her
soldier father as she sat upon his knee, and learned again to know
and love him. For this little maiden was born in Lincoln County,
January 15, 1860, when the clouds of war were darkening, and
her early childhood was shadowed by the fearful four years'
struggle. They were not alone tales of the brave deeds of his
comrades in arms and recitals of his own adventures that she
heard from her father's lips ; there were also stories of the brave
pioneers who had left the Fatherland and settled in Pennsyl-
vania and North Carolina, for Captain Carpenter belonged to
the German branch of the Carpenter family. They are descended
from the Zimmermans, dwellers in the Palatinate in the seven-
teenth century.

[319]



320 FAXN'IE E. CORRIIIEIi

The Germans have been conspicuous as a great emigrating
race since the authentic history of man began. Wherever they

\-> c

have gone they have taken with them habits of thrift and indus-
try and sincere religious conviction. Those who emigrated to
America in the early years of its history, put a strength into the
foundations of its national life, that their contemporaries were
glad to recognize, and their descendants to honor. Governor
Thomas of Pennsylvania said of them, "I believe it may with
truth be said that the present flourishing condition of it (Penn-
sylvania) is in a great measure owing to the industry of these
people ; it is not altogether the goodness of the soil but the num-
ber and industry of the people that make a flourishing country."

The ancestors of Mrs. Corriher and her father are numbered
with these builders of Pennsylvania. Among the first settlers of
Germantown was Philip Christian Zimmerman in 1683 ; Heinrich,
Emanuel, and Gabriel Zimmerman were in Lancaster County, in
1710; and Hans, Christian, and Bastian, youths under sixteen
years of age, arrived at the "Port of Philadelphia" in the ship
"Pink Plaisance" in 1732.

For some years after their arrival, their unobstrusive char-
acter, their devotion to agriculture, and the difference in their
language, kept those early emigrants somewhat aloof from their
neighbors. Later on, however, as they mastered the tongue of
their new country, their intelligence won recognition from those
concerned in the affairs of the State and they became more prom-
inent. With the gaining of a new language, the old family names
were often translated into English form, and thus many of the
Zinimermans became Carpenters. York County, Pennsylvania,
was the home of the ancestor of Philip Carpenter. In the census
of 1790, in Newberry Township, are the names, Jacob, John, Sam-
uel, and William Carpenter, heads of families. In Warwick
Township, Lancaster County, John Yonnt lived, the probable
ancestor of Mrs. Corriher's mother, Camilla Yount.

Enticed by the milder climate, and natural beauties of North
Carolina, many of these settlers later located in that State. It
is said that between 1785 and 1800 there were no less than fifteen
thousand Germans in North Carolina who had gone there from
Pennsylvania. Among these were some of the York County Car-
penters who had moved into Lincoln County, North Carolina,
where they made their permanent home, as did- also the Younts.

Both sides of Mrs. Corriher's family have always been con-
nected with the Lutheran Church, w T hile her husband's family
are members of the Dutch Keformed. In the early days these two
Churches were closely associated (there being no essential con-
flict in their creeds), their congregations often worshiping in the
same building.



FANNIE E. CORRIHER 321

The Carpenters are mentioned as among the prominent mem-
bers of Matthews Church, six miles northeast of Lincolnton,
organized in 1837 by Kev. J. G. Fritchey. They were people of
means, as is attested by an old account which reads, "Due to the
liberality of the Carpenters (once Zimmerman s) a new church
has been established at Maiden, a thriving village on the Narrow
Gauge Railroad between Newton and Lincolnton."

Reverend William Carpenter, born near Madison Court
House, Virginia May 20, 1762, was a prominent Lutheran clergy-
man. At the close of the Revolutionary War, throughout which
he saw hard service as a soldier, Mr. Carpenter was licensed at
the age of twenty-five, by the Ministerium of Pennsylvania, and
became at once the pastor of Hebron Church in Culpeper County,
in which charge he remained for twenty-six years. In 1813 he
moved to Boone County, Kentucky, where he labored for twenty
years more, until his death in 1833.

The many years of political and religious struggle in the
Palatinate had implanted a great longing for peace in the hearts
of these pioneer Germans and they had little desire to enter the
conflict between America and England in 1776. Love for their
new home country, however, overcame their disinclination, and
their names, and those of their sons, are found in large numbers
on the rosters of Pennsylvania and North Carolina Revolutionary
forces. Reverend Nicholas Kurtz, pastor of Christ Lutheran
Church, in York County, Pennsylvania, preached impassioned
sermons in the German tongue, on patriotism and loyalty to the
struggling colonies. Among his hearers was young Jacob Car-
penter, who, at the close of the war, was admitted to the bar in
1792.

Research in the old Lincoln County newspapers shows that
the Carpenters and Younts were well-known families, owning
goodly farms and a considerable number of slaves. There is rec-
ord of the marriage of Mr. Samuel Carpenter to Miss Elizabeth
Carpenter on March 23, 1841, by John F. Leonhardt, Esq., and of
the death of John Carpenter, a "good citizen" on July 18, 1846.
David Carpenter, "an aged and respectable citizen" died on Feb-
ruary 28, 1849, leaving a large circle of relatives."

John Yount, the maternal grandfather of Mrs. Corriher,
was the second member of the committee of ten, appointed at a
meeting of the citizens of Lincoln and Caldwell, on the 18th of
September, 1841, at Springville. The duty of this committee was
to draw r up resolutions to be presented to the State Legislature
at its next session, petitioning that a new county, to be called
Catawba, be constructed out of portions of Lincoln and Caldwell
Counties. This division was made in 1842, and after that date
some members of the Carpenter and Yount families became, by



FAXXIE E. GORKI II KK

the location of their homes, residents of Catawlw County. John
Yount was one of the most ])rominent of these citizens of the
new conntv, being one of the largest land owners and the master
of many slaves. John Yoimt was a politician as well as a busi-
ness man. He was a member of the State Legislature and of the
State Senate. He engaged in various lines of business and died
in the prime of life.

In 1849 Jonathan Carpenter was a member of the school
committee from the third district of Catawba County, Michael
Carpenter from the fourth district and Jacob Carpenter from the
nineteenth district. In speaking of her family's politics, Mrs.
Corriher says : "Our people have been members of the Democratic
party as far back as I know, and my husband's people also."
The early records show Daniel, Jonas, and Michael Carpenter to
have been members of a Democratic committee in Lincoln County
in June 1847, while Michael Christopher and Jonas Carpenter
were among the Lincoln County delegates to the Democratic Dis-
trict Convention, in April 1848.

This was the period when the United States was at war with
Mexico, and North Carolina sent many brave volunteers to the
front. After peace was declared, great was the rejoicing, that the
hand of Mars, laid so heavily on the colonies since their begin-
ning, had relaxed its hold for a time. Little did the mothers
dream as they led their small boys by the hand, that these, their
sons, ere they had attained their majority, would be fighting their
brothers from the North, in the bitterest of conflicts, a civil war.
So, all unconscious, feeling that permanent peace had come at
last, mothers, fathers, sons, brothers, sisters and lovers moved
happily in the midst of the varied festivities. So high did enthu-
siasm run that one public barbecue was held at Shady Grove
School House, October 7, 1848, in honor of "all surviving Revolu-
tionary veterans, soldiers of 1812, and particularly all the brave
Americans just returned from Mexico." Citizens of Lincoln, Gas-
ton, Catawba and Cleveland Counties joined in this celebration,
over two thousand being present, and Jonas Carpenter was one
of the committee of three who issued the invitations. Among the
returned Mexican volunteers, was Jacob Carpenter, while Wil-
liam, Christopher, and Nicholas Carpenter received honor for
their services in the War of 1812.

Lincoln and Catawba Counties gave a heavy toll of their sons
to the Civil War and many Carpenters and Younts are found
numbered in a recent publication entitled "The Catawba Soldier
of the Civil War." Lieutenant Joshua Yount, Company "F,"
Thirty-eighth regiment, served the entire four years of the war.
His company was known as the "Catawba Wild Cats." About
1870 Keverend Adolphus Yount and Reverend J. M. Smith taught



FANNIE E. CORRIHER 323

school "in a little dwelling still to be seen on the Oxford Ford
road, near Poplar Springs, close by the Conover." This school
was the foundation and inspiration of "Concordia College"
erected in 1877 under the Tennessee Synod of the Lutheran
Church. M. H. Yount, formerly a member of the North Carolina
State Legislature, and Dr. Eugene Yount of Statesville, grand-
sons of John Yount, are graduates of this college. J. P. Yount of
Newton, North Carolina, and Horace Yount of Statesville, North
Carolina, are also members of this family.

Mrs. Corriher's husband, John C. Corriher, was descended
from the Corriher family of Rowan County, members of the old
Savitz Church. This church built of logs some time prior to 1802,
(at which time an ordination was held within its walls) was a
union Lutheran and Reformed, and was located ten miles south
of Salisbury near China Grove Station. In 1845, its membership,
having outgrown it, the old log church was abandoned, and two
new edifices were erected, of brick, one for each congregation.
Some years later the Reformed Church built, what was at that
time, the finest country house of worship in western North Caro-
lina. The Corrihers were among the leading members of this
parish. Just when the name took its present form is not known.
John C. Corriher attended North Carolina College at Mt. Pleas-
ant, and Catawba College at Newton. In 1874 he settled in China
Grove, Rowan County, and went into partnership with I. F. Pat-
terson, the firm being known as Patterson and Corriher, Mer-
chants. On April 30, 1884, he married Fannie E. Carpenter of
Lincoln County. In 1893 Mr. Corriher and his partner estab-
lished "The Patterson Cotton Mills/ 7 but the founders had little
time to enjoy the fruits of their labors as both died soon after-
wards. He was a member of the Reformed Church, serving as
one of its oiScers almost continuously from the time he joined the
church. He was the son of Daniel Corriher and Cinthia Sechler,
the latter also of Rowan County. John C. was ever ready to help
the poor and needy and lend a helping hand to the worthy young
men of his acquaintance. He was the means of starting many
such young men on a successful business career. Another son of
this couple, Doctor C. W. Corriher was one of the organizers of
the Linn Mill Company at Landis, and was the first Secretary
and Treasurer of the mill. Both he and Mrs. Corriher's husband
were men of education and energy, devout Christians, and both
died in the prime of life. Mr. Corriher died in 1895, aged forty-
five years.

Mrs. Corriher has one daughter, Zelia Clare and one son,
Everet, who is now living in Mooresville, North Carolina. Zelia
taught for a time at Mt. Amonica Seminary, and Elizabeth Col-
lege, North Carolina, of which latter institution she is a graduate.



KANXIK i:. CMKIMHKK

She was married in May 11HL\ to Pocin;- II. < ). K,i\va;.X ;i suc-
essful physician.

Mrs. Gorriher is an enei-.m'iic \\m-lccr in the Lutlicran Church,
an<] a valuable member of her con.urcpilion. She belongs to the
Unite- 1 Daughters of Confederacy, and is treasurer for that body
in her hmne toxvn. A woman <>!' intelligence and ability, she is
highly respected in her community and among her friends. De-
votedly attached to her people, she finds her greatest delight and
pride in speaking of her father, her husband, her children and her
State.



ELDAD CICERO CAMP

WHEN the full Mstory is written of the Tennessee and
Southeastern Kentucky coalfields and the waterways of
East Tennessee, if justice is rendered, no man in the
State will receive greater credit for their development
than will Honorable E. C. Camp of Knoxville. From the day that
this able and enterprising gentleman arrived in Knoxville in
1865 he has taken a personal and vital interest in everything
pertaining to the growth, welfare and progress of city and sec-
tion. Major Camp has been president of operated coal mines in
the South since 1868. He was the organizer and first president
of the Coal Creek Company when it was incorporated in 1887,
and now that this Company has expanded and has in operation
at "Coal Creek," two mines, "Fraterville" and "Thistle" he is
still its controlling head. This fact alone speaks volumes for his
sound judgment in dealing with large problems. He is also Presi-
dent and principal owner of the Virginia-Tennessee Coal Com-
pany with mines at Raven, Virginia, and of the Knoxville Acety-
lene Company, the latter engaged in the manufacture of gas
generators. Thus his finger is ever on the fluctuating pulse of
business as it throbs in the Southern trade. Major Camp is, how-
ever, primarily and fundamentally a lawyer. He began the
practice of law a few years prior to the organization of these
important business enterprises and was a well-known attorney
of Knoxville long before he became one of Tennessee's leading
coal operators. While he came into Knoxville under rather aus-
picious circumstances, in General Thomas' private car and some-
what as the protege of Colonel Cooper, he followed up his oppor-
tunities practically alone, depending mainly upon his own efforts.

During fifteen years of his boyhood he worked on his father's
farm in Ohio while engaged in study in the public schools of the
county. His mentality naturally led him to adopt the profession
of teacher, which he followed in Kentucky and Missouri, until
there came the call to arms in 1861. He resigned his professor-
ship to join the Union Army, and laying down books and birch,
substituting therefor gun and knapsack, he entered a new and
more exacting school of which he was by no means the master.
Six of his ten brothers also volunteered and enlisted in the service
of the Federal Government.

His second campaign was as a member of the One Hundred
and Forty-second Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which

[327]



328 ELDAD CICERO CAMP

served one hundred days. In June of 'sixty-four this command
rendered gallant service guarding a supply train through the
wilderness to General Grant's front, near Cold Harbor. He was
mustered out with his regiment with the rank of Sergeant-Major.
While traveling back to his native Buckeve State, from the

* ' */ /

war with his regiment, a most remarkable incident occurred.
He met with an accident and was unconscious so long that he
was believed to be dead. His parents were notified of his sup-
posed demise and every arrangement made for his funeral. An
obituary notice which a newspaper man at that time prepared
for publication is, however, still unprinted.

The Major's father, Deacon Eldad Cicero Camp lived to the
patriarchal age of ninety-one, and, although he himself is some-
what advanced in years and has probably led a more strenuous
life than did his father, he promises to also become a nonogena-
rian and thereby keep up the reputation of the family for longev-
ity. The accident referred to happened while he was returning
home from participation in the grand review of troops at Wash-
ington with a Kegiment of Ohio Volunteers following discharge
from his second period of service. After having breakfasted at
York, twenty-seven miles from Harrisburg, the train being
crowded, some of the soldiers climbed on top of the cars. Young
Camp remembering a low "covered" bridge near York, Pennsyl-
vania, with the danger of which he was acquainted, went up to
warn his comrades. The train approached the bridge just as he
reached the top, and before he could shout a warning to his com-
panions in the rear, he w^as himself struck and thrown violently
to the ground. The train was stopped and his supposedly lifeless
body sorrowfully carried by his companions on to Harrisburg,
where for several hours he remained apparently dead. His thrill-
ing and almost miraculous experience is worthy of a place in this
brief resume of his early career, if only to support a certain pious
theory since entertained by many, that he was spared for the
accomplishment of future good in his adopted city; for in every-
thing which might benefit the community, Major Camp has shown
deep interest and great activity. Not only has he endeavored to
improve Knoxville from a business and sanitary standpoint, (he
is President of the Marble City Improvement Company) but he
has also fought hard for higher morals.

He is a prominent member of the Second Presbyterian
Church of Knoxville and a liberal contributor to various chari-
ties. When it was proposed to build a Florence Crittendon Home
in Knoxville it was Major Camp who gave the lot on Woodbine
Avenue where this noble philanthropy is now housed; he also
gave largely toward the construction cost of the building. At
his own expense he maintains a shelter for unfortunate women
on Jackson Avenue, known as the Camp Home. The doors of this



ELDAD CICERO CAMP 329

house are at all times open to those against whom the world at
large has barred entrance, and efforts are made to obtain employ-
ment for those who seek its protection and reform. When the
Young Men's Christian Association began a twenty-thousand
dollar campaign for a new building, Major Camp sent a check for
the first one thousand dollars donated, and also personally
assisted in raising the remainder.

Since 1888, Major Camp has been a director of the Third
National Bank of Knoxville and is an active factor in the Board
of Commerce, being one of the earliest members of that body,
and now one of its oldest, in point of service. He is deeply inter-
ested in the question of Tennessee River Improvements leading
to better shipping facilities and lower freight rates. His face has
always been a familiar one at meetings of the National Kivers
and Harbors Association held at Washington, and a convention
in Tennessee to consider river improvements might be said to
lack a quorum if he were absent. Through his efforts the South-
ern Railway was influenced to extend branch lines out of Knox-
ville into the coalfields, and he has lived to see its lines touch
every important point in the section. The construction of the
Louisville and Nashville system from Cincinnati to Atlanta by



Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 24 of 48)