Albert B Osborne.

Makers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) online

. (page 25 of 48)
Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 25 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


way of Knoxville, through the coal and mineral fields and the
rich agricultural section between Ohio and Georgia, has also been
a source of gratification to him.

As an attorney Major Camp met with almost immediate
success. His practice soon extended into the Counties of Sevier,
Campbell, Jefferson, Cooke, Grainger and Claiborne, which
afforded him a wide acquaintance in the State. On entering poli-
tics he aligned himself with the Republican party. His first
recognition as a possible officeholder came when his name was
suggested for Attorney-General pro tern, during the incapacity
by illness of General D. E. Young. This added to his growing
political prestige, and he was appointed by President Grant,
United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee.
This important national office was filled by him with distinction
during the four years from 1869 to 1873. The honor came
entirely without solicitation. The first intimation of it that he
received was the arrival of a telegram from ex- Attorney-General
Horace Maynard (then Congressman-at-large) inquiring his full
name that it might be engrossed on the certificate of appointment.
This was the first time that his full name became generally known
to the people of Tennessee, he having heretofore been popularly
known by his initials "E. C.," and the brevet title of Major in
recognition of his recent military service.

He was not the first to bear the name of Eldad Cicero Camp.
It was also the name of his father, whose noble example of indus-
try and right living he has ever held in affectionate remembrance.



330 ELDAD riCEKO CA^IT

Major Camp is the fifth Eldad in his family and the third Cicero.
He was born in Knox County, Ohio, on the first day of Augu-
1839. and it is somewhat of a coincidence that the County which

j ^j

he selected for his home in Tennessee after the Civil War bears
the same appellation as the Ohio County in which he first saw the
light. As a boy in Milfordton, he attended the district schools,
afterward supplementing his education at Chesterville and
Martinsburg in Ohio. Later, from 1856 to 1861, he taught school
at Richmond, Kentucky, and Platte City, Missouri. During the
four years of his professorship he kept himself occupied out of
class hours in diligent study of the law. A name lustrous with
accomplishment is the reward of this early diligence.

He is fond of good literature and, like Franklin, has some-
thing of a penchant for maxims and proverbs, possessing a most
interesting collection arranged alphabetically in a large scrap-
book. Among these are several concerning temperance and wine.
Major Camp is a member of the Temperance Society and Vice-
President of the local Audubon Society. As President of the
Ohio State Society he demonstrates his loyalty to his native
State.

Major Camp's residence on Broadway is surrounded by
extensive grounds, is the equivalent in area of a splendid country
home, yet it is well within the corporate limits of Knoxville.
Many varieties of costly wood and marble were used in its con-
struction and many of its furnishings were purchased in foreign
capitals, among them rare tapestries and draperies brought from
the Paris Exposition. Tennessee marble predominates throughout,
and among several handsome fireplaces, one built at the some-
what unusual cost of five thousand dollars has been particularly
admired by visitors to his luxurious home. Before settling in
Knoxville Major Camp was married at Southbury, Connecticut,
on New Year's Day, 1868, to Miss Nettie Dunn. The following
year he was admitted to the bar of the United States Supreme
Court. About this time his son, Edgar W., was born. George M.,
another son, who married Miss Nancy Young, is the father of the
Major's only grandchildren, Louis Allen Camp and Elsie Char-
lotte Camp. George M. has for several years been associated
with his father in the management of the Virginia-Tennessee Coal
Company, Incorporated, holding the office of Secretary and
Treasurer. He is also superintendent of mines in the Coal Creek
Company.

Major Camp's father was for seventy-three years an elder
and deacon in the Presbyterian Church. He died May 5, 1896,
lacking but nine years of his natal centenary. He, Eldad Cicero
Camp, Senior, and wife, Minerva Mallory Hintnan, were the
parents of ten sons and three daughters. Two of the daughters
died in childhood; the third became the wife of Doctor E. Swee-



ELDAD CICERO CAMP 331

ney and died the second year of the war. Of the sons, Stanley,
born January 19, 1843, died unmarried. Frederick, died April
20, 1883; Hanson, died December 20, 1903; Edgar, died June 16,
1864; John Mallory, .James H., William Moses, Curtis H., Henry
N., and Eldad Cicero are still living.

Of his paternal lineage, whose later lines have not been in-
cluded in the comprehensive Camp genealogy, Major Camp draws
his ancestral chart as follows (the earlier dates derived from
Milford, Connecticut, town records) : Eldad Cicero Camp, born
August 1, 1839, was son of Eldad Cicero, born November 6, 1804,
who was son of Abraham, born July 31, 1770 ; son of Moses, born
August 26, 1747; son of Abraham, born April 16, 1720; son of
.John, born February 13, 1686 ; son of Edward, born July 8, 1650 ;
son of Edward, the emigrant, who was son of William of Nazing,
and London.

Nicholas Camp, Senior, was a man of wealth and distinction
in the Connecticut Colony. He came to America in 1629, along
with John Camp, Senior ; Nicholas Camp, Junior ; Edward Camp ;
Samuel Camp; Eichard Camp and William Camp, all coming
with Sir Kichard SalstonstalPs party. He settled first at Water-
town, Massachusetts, but later removing to New Milford, Con-
necticut, of which town he was one of the founders. His son,
Nicholas Avas one of the searchers commissioned in 1661 to seek
for the regicides, Whalley and Goff. The English home of Nich-
olas, Senior, was in the same parish of Nazing, or Nasing, in
Essex, whence came the missionary, Eliot. The Nazing records
show that the Camp or Campe family was not only a large, but
an influential one, of the sturdy yeomanry of Essex, and large
landowners. The name of Kernpe or Carnpe is derived from a
Saxon or British word used to denote a combatant champion or
man-at-arms, and is still retained in the Norfolk dialect, in which
a football match is known as "camping" or "keniping." One
authority holds that the name was originally given to an indi-
vidual or family living near the Kornan Camp. Nasang or Naz-
ing was one of the estates (embracing an area of four square
miles) granted by Harold to his college of Waltham. The arms
of this family, which appear on an Essex tomb are described as
"Argent, a chevron engrailed, gules, between three stars azure."
The tomb, which has recently been restored, represents the re-
cumbent forms of Judge Kempe, who died in 1609, and his wife,
Eleanor, surrounded by the kneeling figures of fourteen children.

In the Puritan era the names of William, Edward and
Nicholas Camp appear as tenants of the manor at Nasing. Ed-
ward was supposedly the only son of William.

Edward and Mary Camp had the following issue: Edward,
born July 8, 1650; Mary, born April 21, 1652; Sarah, born No-
vember 25, 1655. Edward, Junior, married Mehitable Smith on



332 ELDAD CICERO CAMP

January 15, 1673; their children were: John, born February 13,
1CS6; Samuel and Sarah.

John, Senior, Nicholas, and his son, Nicholas, were born in
England, the latter two years before sailing. William, Edward,
Samuel and Kichard appear at about the same period with
Nicholas in the Connecticut Colony. Edward is found in New
Haven and Milford records of 1643.

Twelve of the Camp appellation graduated at old Yale
College.

Eldad Cicero Camp, Senior, father of Major Camp, was born
November 6, 1804, at Lexington or Mount Morris, New York.
He removed to Knox County, Ohio, in 1835, and settled at Mil-
fordton. The Major's grandfather, Abraham or Abram, born
July 31, 1770, was a member of the first town board of Lexington
and justice of the peace in 1813. Lexington, located on Schoharie
Creek in Greene County, is now a Catskill mountain resort. As
late as 1875 it had twenty-two log houses. It was organized out
of Old Windham on the twenty-fifth of January 1813; the new
town w r as then called New Goshen, in honor of the Connecticut
town of that name, from which many of its early settlers came.
At the opening of the nineteenth century there w r ere two house-
holders in Windham, later Lexington, of the name of Samuel
Camp, probably cousins. The family of one consisted of a wife
and two daughters; of the other, a wife and two sons. In 1810
Isaac and his wife, with a family of six sons and four daughters,
were the only householders of the name in Windham. In 1820
another appeared, Doctor Hervey Camp. The latter's family
included two daughters and a son ; he was a partner of, and later
succeeded to the practice of old Doctor Benham, the first physi-
cian in the town, of whom many quaint stories are told.

Squire Abraham was the son of Moses Camp, born August
26, 1747, who was son of Abraham, born April 16, 1720, son of
John, born February 13, 1686, son of Edward, Junior, born 1650.

Moses Camp (or Van Camp as recorded in the census of
Ontario County, New York, for 1800) at that date had one son
living with him, born between 1790 and 1800. Moses was then
living in Jerusalem township, in the Mount Morris locality.

One Abraham Camp of Windsor, New York, enlisted April
3, 1776, in Captain Samuel Van Vechten's fated company, Colonel
Cornelius Wynkoop's battalion, from which twenty-four of his
comrades deserted and six died. Abraham also died in the
service.

Abraham, born April 10, 1720, w r as a Captain in the Revolu-
tionary War. Major Camp is consequently a rightful Son of the
American Revolution. Abraham's son, Eldad, born October 4,
1754, w r as also a soldier of that war and died in 1775. Moses
Camp's fourth son w r as named Eldad, born May 22, 1776 ; another



ELDAD CICERO CAMP 333

son was called Edward Cicero and these names have been con-
tinued in the family.

Among the wills of Ulster County is mention of land granted
to Jan Kamp and company at or near Shawangunk. Possibly he
could be identified with Abraham's father, John Camp, who was
born 1686.

The Camp homestead in Morris, Litchfield County, Connect-
icut, has been in the family nearly one hundred and seventy-five
years. Five or six generations are represented by graves in the
Morris cemetery. Many of the name are buried at Milford, Nor-
folk, Durham, Middlefield and Winsted. David Nathan Camp
of New Britain is the oldest living member of the Connecticut
family; he was born there on October 13, 1820, and is conse-
quently in his ninety-seventh year. Some years ago D. N. Camp
and his cousin, Doctor Ellsworth of New York, visited England
and examined the records at Nasing and Waltham. Mr. Camp
therefore has the distinction of being the genealogist of his fam-
ily, tracing his line through eight preceding generations to John
of Nazing, thus: Albert B. ; Keverend Joseph Eleazer; David;
Eleazer; Samuel; Nicholas; Nicholas; John. Wallace H. Camp,
of Waterbury, has given considerable study to the ramifications
of his own line, and his cousins, A. K. and Holman H. Camp,
bankers, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, have published a handsome
monograph in which particular attention is given to the Nazing
origin. W. H. Camp is also in the ninth generation of descent
from John of Nazing; his forebears were: Eleazer, born 1791;
Nathan, 1763 ; Ozias Eleazer, 1729 ; Nathan, 1688 ; Samuel, 1654-5 ;
Nicholas, 1627; Nicholas, 1606; John Camp, Senior, of Essex.

The maternal ancestry of Major Camp goes back to the Hin-
mans, of whom Secretary of State, Royal R. Hinman (1785-
1868) of Connecticut (in the fifth generation from the emigrant)
was the historian. Among the early Puritan settlers of Connecti-
cut Sergeant Edward Hinman, who married Hannah Stiles of
Windsor, prior to his emigration to the new world had been a
member of the bodyguard of King Charles the First. He was one
of the founders of Southbury, where his descendants settled, but
Sergeant Edward lived and died at Stratford. Some of the
family went from Connecticut to the Empire State, and a village
of Oswego County is called Hinmansville.

Several of his descendants acquired enviable distinction.
His great-grandson Elisha w r as one of the first naval Captains
appointed by Congress. He succeeded John Paul Jones in com-
mand of the "Alfred." When in 1794 the navy was reorganized
and President Adams offered him the first command of the
frigate "Constitution," having already attained threescore years
he felt constrained to decline the honorable post. The commis-
sion was accepted by an officer only three years his junior, who, a



KLI>AI> nn:i;o CAMP

decade later, was at the head of the I'nited States navy. Captain
Elisha was a daring privateersman during the Revolution, taking
pri/es oi' stupendous value, two of which he carried into France
and sold for the benefit of the American colonies.

There were more Revolutionary officers in Connecticut of
the name of Hinman than of any other surname. Southbury
alone furnished thirteen, including Colonel Benjamin who com-
manded the American forces at Ticonderoga.

Many of the Hinmans have been me:t of fine intellect. Of
an earlier generation Honorable Royal R. was lawyer, statesman,
and author of note. Joel rose to the chief justiceship of Con-
necticut's Superior Court. Clark T. founded Northwestern Uni-
versity, and established co-education at Wesleyan Seminary dur-
ing his administration there. Of the present generation George
Wheeler Hinman, educator and journalist of distinction, early
identified with the New York Sun and fifteen years editor of
the Chicago Inter-Ocean, also claims Mount Morris, New York,
as his native town. Mr. Hinman's serious study of civil govern-
ment, political economy and international law, supplementing
a thorough scholastic education at the Universities of Leipzig,
Berlin and Heidelberg, has rendered him perhaps the best in-
formed person on matters pertaining to national and interna-
tional politics, outside the corps of diplomatists. He is now
President of Marietta College.

Of the sons of Sergeant Edward, only Captain Titus, Benja-
min and Edward, Junior, left descendants. From its frequent
occurrence it would appear that "plain John" was a popular
name in the Hinman family as early as the second generation
from the emigrant. Major Camp's great-grandfather, John Hin-
mau, was born February 5, 1748 ; his son, John Burrows Hinman,
born November 7, 1780, was the father of Minerva Mallory Hin-
man. She was born July 21, 1805, and married Eldad Cicero
Camp, Senior, at Mount Morris, New York. She w^as the honored
mother of ten sons and three daughters. Branches of her paternal
family are located in three States : Rochester, New York ; Mon-
roeton, Pennsylvania, and Stratford, Connecticut.



ANNIE ELIZABETH HILL KENAN

THE daughter of Christopher Dudley Hill and Emily Caro-
line Howard was born January 23, 1853, in Duplin
County, North Carolina. There is no heritage of blood
in America or Europe richer in its strains than that
which flows in the veins of Mrs. Annie Elizabeth Hill Kenan of
Wilmington, North Carolina.

In her uprearing and education her parents employed the
best teachers and the best private schools that the country
afforded, supplemented by a finishing course at St. Mary's School,
Kaleigh, North Carolina. She married, December 29, 1870, at
Oakland, Duplin County, Captain James Graham Kenan of Ken-
ansville, who after the war between the States, retired to private
life upon his plantation.

Mrs. Kenan is a typical Southern lady ; unassuming, gracious,
and whatever may be her pride of blood, she fails to reflect it in
her intercourse with those with whom she associates. In other
words, she is a true lady.

As of right, Mrs. Kenan is a member of the Colonial Dames,
and is President of the Cape Fear Chapter of the United Daugh-
ters of the Confederacy (1915). She belongs to St. James Epis-
copal Church in Wilmington.

Mrs. Kenan, the subject of this sketch, is a descendant
through paternal and maternal lines, of the ancient and distin-
guished families of Dudley, Hill and Howard, and by marriage
is connected with the Grahams and Kenans.

It is stated that the family of Howard, or Hereward, was in
existence in the reign of King Edgar (957-973) ; that one Here-
ward was a kinsman of Duke Olsac. who was banished bv William

/ tv

the Conqueror, and that his son, Leofric, was the father of Here-
ward who was banished but subsequently allowed to return.
Hereward's grandson and his wife Wilburga, in the reign of
Henry II, granted a caracate of land in Torrington to the Church
of Lynn.

Sir William Howard (1570-1573), second son of the Duke
of Norfolk, was Lord High Admiral of England. He was popu-
lar with Henry VIII, and was sent on missions to Scotland and
France. In 1541 charges were preferred against him for abetting
Catherine Howard, and was convicted of treason but pardoned.
In 1552 he was Governor of Calais, and in 1553, Lord High Ad-
miral. In 1554 he was created first Baron Hovrard of Effingham

[ 337]



338 ANNIE ELIZABETH HILL KENAN

for his defense of London on Sir Thomas Wyatt's Kebellion
against Queen Mary. He befriended Queen Elizabeth, and his
popularity in the navy saved him from Queen Mary's resentment.
Under Queen Elizabeth he held important posts. His son, the
second Baron, was created Earl of Effingham, and from a younger
son the later Earls of Effingham have descended. The Barony
was elevated in 1731 in favor of Francis Howard (1683-1743),
but became extinct on the death of Richard, the fourth holder,
in 1816. It was however, revived in 1837 in favor of Kenneth
Alexander (1767-1845), another of Sir William Howard's de-
scendants who had succeeded to the Barony of Howard of Effing-
ham in 1816. The Barony was granted March 11, 1554; the Earl-
dom was granted in 1837.

Arms: Gules, on a bend between six cross-crosslets fitchee,
argent, an escutcheon of the field, charged with a demi-lion
rampant pierced through the mouth with an arrow within a
double tressure, flory, counter-flory.

Crest : On a chapeau gules, turned up ermine, a lion statant-
guardant, his tail extended, or, gorged with a ducal coronet,
argent.

Supporters : Two lions, and on the shoulder of each a mullet
for difference.

Motto : "Virtus mille Scuta," Virtue is worth one thousand
shields.

Among the members of the Virginia Company of London
were Philip, Earl of Arundel (a Howard), as was also Thomas,
Duke of Norfolk, Lord Theophilus Howard, Sir George Haiward
and James Haiward.

Sir Henry Howard, the Admiral, and Henry Howard, the
Duke of Norfolk, were very nearly related.

Matthew Howard, according to the original lists of persons
of quality who came to America prior to the Revolution, was
living in 1824 at James City. Edward and Cornelius Lloyd were
his close neighbors, evidently connected by marriage or by blood.
In 1645, Richard Hall died in lower Norfolk County, leaving
Matthew the elder, executor of his will in which he devised per-
sonal property to Ann, Elizabeth, John, Samuel, Matthew and
Cornelius, children of Matthew, Sr. No doubt Cornelius was
named for Colonel Cornelius Lloyd. It was supposed that there
were other sons of Matthew; some born in the old country who
emigrated with him, of whom, perhaps, Mr. William Howard,
who in 1660 was added to the Board of Commissioners for
Glouster County, is one. John Howard, who died in 1661, is one
of the sons of Matthew mentioned in the will of Richard Hall.
Matthew's wife was Anne; her family name not known.

The name of one Philip Howard of Ac-comae, is mentioned
in 1665. There were, so says Alexander Brown in his "First



ANNIE ELIZABETH HILL KENAN 339

Republic," three Howards who came to the colony in the early
days whose personal name was John; viz.: Master John, Rev.
John and Sir John Howard, Knight.

There is no data yet found concerning Matthew and his son
Cornelius until in 1661 the latter is in evidence as an Ensign
and as a member of the General Assembly of the State of Mary-
land. This Cornelius, claimed as the great-grandfather of Colo-
nel John Eager Howard of Maryland, and his brother, John "of
York" as he was called, is the ancestor of the branch of the
Howards now under consideration.

The difficulty of tracing a line through the Colonial period
is greatly enhanced by the facts that the records were carelessly
made; that of those, many were subsequently destroyed by fire,
and that the craving for the old fireside often calls men, as they
advance in age, to the place of their birth. This recalls to mind,
that in those days, before a legal right to leave Virginia could be
acquired, a permit to do so must be obtained. A Clerk's Certifi-
cate from the Surrey County Records reads thus : "I do herebye
certifye that Michael Howard has sett up his name and resolution
of going for England this p'sent shipping, according to law, at
Lawne's Creek P'rish Church, March 1st, 1685-6.

JOHN HARRIS,, Rec'd."

It is said that the names Howard and Heyward were iden-
tical in Virginia. The Register of the Parish, comprising Charles
City, Hampton, York and Denbigh, gives the spelling under two
heads in the index, but the entries seem to have been made indis-
criminately; members of the same family being entered under
either name. This Register contains births and deaths but no
marriages, and includes the period between 1648 and 1789, except
from 1772 until 1779, during which time no records were kept.
In some cases, names have been filled in from memoiy. A Mss.
copy of the original is in the Library of Congress, prepared by
Miss Marcou.

Colonel Francis Howard, born 1700, is said to have been the
first to establish an uniform spelling of the name.

Francis, Lord Howard of Effingham, was appointed Governor
of Virginia, April 15, 1684, in which year the acts were signed
by him as Governor, and by Colonel Edward Hill as Speaker of
the House of Burgesses. In November, 1686, Lord Howard wrote
a letter to the people of Northumberland County deprecating
"the extraordinary proceedings" of the House of Burgesses, and
"Alsoe how His Majesty hath approved the measures I then took
to moderate them." He signs the letter "Your affectionate
ffriend, ffrancis, Lord Howard of Effingham."

The petition of Robert Berkeley begging leniency was ad-
dressed: "To His Excellency ffrancis, Lord Howard, Baron of



:I40 ANNIE KU/AP.KTII HILL KLXAN



His Majesty's Lieutenant and (Jovernor General of
Virginia and to tlir honorable Council of State."

Lord Howard was not in the Court after April - . KisT, and
then Nathaniel Baron was President, but. Lord Howard did not
leave tlie country, for lie signed patents until October 20, 1(>8S.
In this year there is mention again of the same or another Wil-
liam Howard in connection with his lands in Amherst and Albe-
niarle Counties.

Returning to Captain John of York, son of John, son of
Matthew, we tiud him settled in KJ.'IS in York County, and his
wife's name was Margaret. There were a number of children,
of whom were Henry, born 1651, and who died 1711, and William,



Henry married first Diana - , secondly, Elizabeth

t/ / */ /

Mays or May. Their children were: John, born 1692, died, 1770;
Francis, born 1696, and others. Francis married Frances Cal-
thorpe, and is the ancestor of Mary Howard Bruce, Over-ton
Howard, ????????
John, son of Henry, married Anne - , and Thomas, their
son, born in 1742, was the father of Henry Baylis Howard, whose
daughter, Emily Caroline Howard, married Christopher Dudley
Hill, whose daughter Anne Elizabeth Hill married Captain James

Graham Kenan.

HILL

The original name of this family was Hull. In the time of
Edward II (1307-1327), "Hugh Hull alias Hill or Hull and
Wloukestoue in Shropshire, Esq," married Eleanor, daughter of
Hugh Wloukestone, Esq. His grandson, Humphrey Hill, was of
the time of Henry VI (1422-1461).

The most distinguished scion of this House is Sir Rowland
Hill, born at the family mansion in Hawkestone during the reign
of Henry VII (1485-1509). He was bred to trade and was free
of the City of London, and became one of the most opulent of
merchants, although it has not been found to which of the liveried
companies he was attached. He was Lord Mayor of London in
the time of Edward VI (1549-1550). His munificence and private
charities are said to have been boundless. He clothed annually



Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 25 of 48)