Albert B Osborne.

Makers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) online

. (page 27 of 48)
Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 27 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


County, who died in 1559 and was buried in England. Doctor
Samuel Clark (1675-1729) of Norwich in County Suffolk, was
another prominent member of this family and is regarded as one
of the most interesting characters of early Suffolk. He was a
learned minister who rose through his intellectual prowess and
astounding knowledge of the classics to be Rector of St. James
at Westminster, and was Chaplain to the Queen. His brother,
Doctor John Clark was also prominent for his learning and was



352 WILLIAM SAMUEL CLARK

educated by his brother at Edinburgh University, making the
ministry his life work. He died in 1759.

Among the available lists of passengers embarking in 1634-
35 for Barbados from England, several Kichard Clarks appear.
As many of the Barbados emigrants came later to New England,
it is possible that one of these was the Southold Richard.

The name of Clark is of early origin, appearing as far back in
English History as the eleventh century. The name Milo le Clerk

c^ , /

is found iu the "One Hundred Rolls" compiled in the reign of
Edward I, which contained records of those holding lands, etc.,
in the time of William the Conqueror. Several Doomsday tenants
are designated as "Clericus." This term pertained to ecclesias-
tical teachers in early days in all Christian countries. A clerk
was a man educated for the priesthood, and the term gradually
assumed a broader meaning and was applied to all persons who
were skilled in reading and writing, an art which was rare in the
days before the printing press was invented. Comparatively few,
even of the nobility, were able to read and write freely, and it
was the duty of the monks to keep the lamp of learning alight,
and to employ long hours of their time in transcribing laboriously
by hand, old and valuable manuscripts, such as the Scriptures,
that these might be preserved.

The name Clark was, of course, originally Clerk, pronounced
by the English with the sound of the broad a. Several of the
lines of this family in England have the title of baronet. Espe-
cially prominent is that branch represented in 1883 by Sir An-
drew Clark. He w r as knighted for his services as physician to
Queen Victoria, and wrote several medical treatises as a result
of his unusual opportunities for research. A Clark was Lord
Mayor of London, and Devonshire history relates that his people
came to that part of England from Elgin on the North in 1500.

Throughout the history of the family, however indefinite
may be the kinship between the various lines, the characteristics
of independence of thought, conservative ideals and a dislike for
currying favor with those in power, are apparent. They are gen-
erally careful to see that they are substantially comfortable in
regard to finances, but rarely give all their energy to the sole
purpose of accumulating riches.

Many Clarks of our country have appeared in the foremost
ranks as churchmen, authors, explorers, statesmen and scientists.
General George Rogers Clark (1752-1818) was an American
pioneer who figured prominently in the trouble with the Indians.
He also fought under Baron Steuben against the British, and was
commissioned Major-General in the French army to fight the
Spanish on the Mississippi.

General William Clark (1770-1838) was an American ex-
plorer. He served in Indian campaigns, but is principally known



WILLIAM SAMUEL CLARK 353

for his connection with the famous Lewis and Clark expedition.
After this expedition he was made Brigadier-General of Militia ;
was Governor of the Territory of Missouri and Superintendent
of Indian affairs.

Alvan Graham Clark was an American astronomer of note.
He was awarded the Lalande gold medal for 1862 by the French
Imperial Academy of Sciences for his astronomical discoveries.

The Keverend Francis Edward Clark, born 1851, was the
founder of the well-known Young People's Society of Christian
Endeavor.

James Gilman Clark was the founder in 1887 of Clark Uni-
versity in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Who does not know of the Honorable Champ Clark, who in
1911 was elected Speaker of the House of Kepresentatives ?

Mention must be made here also of former Senator W. A.
Clark of Montana, who was a noted capitalist, and also a patron
of the fine arts.

Much more could be written and many pages filled with the
lives and deeds of prominent and representative men of this well-
known family ; but in a brief sketch of this character, space does
not permit.

Mr. Clark's people have been for so long a time part of this
great nation that he may be said to be an American of American
ancestry. To be descended from one of the fathers of American
liberty is no small privilege; but it is an honor fraught with re-
sponsibility to preserve intact those excellent qualities and admir-
able traits of character which have marked the distinguished fore-
bear. Mr. Clark is a worthy representative of his illustrious
family.



HUGH BARTON LINDSAY

HUGH BARTON LINDSAY, one of the ablest members of
the bar of Eastern Tennessee, is the son of Cornelius S.
Lindsay and his wife, Valentine (Bowling) Lindsay, and
was born November 3, 1850, on his father's farm near
Coal Creek, Campbell County, Tennessee. He is of Scotch descent,
and his many fine traits of character are doubtless his heritage
from a noble ancestry.

The name Lindsay in the early centuries was de Liinesay,
which is the old Norman form. In Scotland, for several genera-
tions, the name was continued de Lindsay, but the article was
finally dropped and the present form adopted. Lind, or Lime, is
a derivation from the linden or lime tree, and perhaps was first
assumed as a name, from the large number of trees of this variety
on the estates owned by the family. The blossom of the linden is
very fragrant and is used by perfumers in the manufacture of
their products. Shields were made from the wood of this tree
and, indeed, shields are sometimes called lindens. "The shields
placed in the graves were the ordinary lindens, of which no part
commonly remains but the metal-boss handle." There is a com-
mune near Argetan in Normandy called Sai, or Say, which doubt-
less has something to do with the derivation of the latter part
of this name. Lindsay also signifies the Isle of Lime-trees
(Lindes-eye, Limes-eye).

There is a legend relating to the remote ancestry of the Lind-
say family which traces origin from Ivan Jarl, or Independent
Prince of the Uplanders of Norway, who was the representative
of the Thorian race. The reputed descendant of Thor, the myth-
ical ancestor, was Forneator, King of the North, who was the
father of Eystein, surnamed Glumia or the Eloquent. Eystein
was the father of Rognvald, surnamed the "Wise" and "Magnifi-
cent," and of Malahulc, the remote progenitor of the family of
Lindsay.

The Lindsays are descended from the highest Norman family,
being of the same line as Rollo, first Duke of Normandy. They
also claim descent from the royal houses of Denmark, Gothland
and Sweden. Rognvald, submitted to Harold Harfagre, the first
King of Norway, and was by him appointed Jarl of More and
Rumsdal on the western coast of Norway. He was the father of

<^

Rollo, and great-great-great-great-grandfather of William the
Conqueror. Malahulc, an early ancestor of the family, went with

[354]



HUGH BARTON LINDSAY 357

Hollo to Normandy, and became the ancestor of the great house of
de Toeny, the hereditary standard bearers of Normandy. Ran-
dolf de Toeney, Malahulc's great-grandson, had two sons, Roger
and Hugo. Roger rose in arms on the accession of William the
Conqueror, and was slain. He was succeeded by his son Randolf,
who accompanied the Conqueror to England in 1086, and became
the ancestor of a long line of Barons, the last of whom died in
the reign of Edward the second. An equally illustrious race
descended from Roger's younger son, Robert. Hugo, the younger
son of Randolf, and brother of Roger, settled on a manor a short
distance from Rouen, and became the head of the family of de
Limesay, or de Lindsay. He left two sons, who also accompanied
the Conqueror to England, and continued the de Limesay succes-
sion. One of these was Baldric de Limesay, the father of the
northern branch of the family. The Lindsays originally settled
in Pays de Caux near Pavilly, five leagues northwest of Rouen.
They flourished there for many generations, but failed shortly
after the middle of the thirteenth century.

Randolf de Limesay, younger brother of Baldric, who came
over with the Conqueror, obtained forty Lordships in different
counties of England, including Woveiiey, Warwickshire, the
birthplace of Shakespeare, and also of George Elliot, the author.
Aleanora de Limesay, the great-granddaughter of Randolf, who
was one of the richest co-heiresses in England, married her Scot-
tish kinsman, Sir David de Lindsay, and carrying her estates to
him, vested the two lines in one in 1199. The mother of Sir David
was Princess Margaret, daughter of Henry, Prince of Scotland,
who with her mother and brother, took refuge with the King of
Scotland on the conquest of England by the Normans. Sir David
de Lindsay of Crawford and Woverley, husband of Aleanora, left
three sons, Gerald, William and Walter and a daughter, Alice.
Gerald, the eldest son, succeeded to the vast estates, both in Eng-
land and Scotland. He left no children and was succeeded in
1241, by his brother William, who was succeeded by his brother
Walter in 1249, and the inheritance passed from him to his sister
Alice. She carried the estates to her husband, Sir Henry Pink-
ney, of England, whose grandson claimed the Scottish throne at
the competition in 1292, through her.

Walter de Lindsay, younger son of Sir David de Lindsay, is
the first of the name who appears in the charters in Scotland.
He was a witness or juror in the celebrated "Inquisitio" or in-
quest into the rights of the See of Glasgow within his territories
in 1116, (by Prince David). Walter figures very often in his
charities while Prince of Cumberland, but disappears after the
death of Alexander the first. His name is replaced after a short
time by that of William de Lindsay, his son. He was his father's
successor both in possession and favor, as a magistrate of Scot-



358 m<;n BARTON LINDSAY

land and was also witness to the royal charters. These are the
onlv authentic documents in existence of the history of early

*/ /

times in Scotland. After about fiye years William's name dis-
appears, and those of his two sons Walter and William, take its
place. The eldest son, Walter, left no children, but William
carried on the line of succession. He resided in Koxburgshire
on the banks of the Leader, Ercildum. The seals of these two lat-
ter Barons, Walter and William, which are preserved in the
chapter house of Durham Cathedral, give an idea of the char-
acter of the young Norman noblemen. They are represented on
horseback, riding gently along, with falcon on wrist, unhelmeted,
and with their shields hung carelessly behind them, the only vari-
ation being that Walter rides without bridle or stirrup, and the
bird rests peacefully on his hand, while William is in the act of
slipping it on his prey. They might be thought to represent the
character more recently attributed in tradition and song to the
''Lindsays, light and gay." Kunning through every family there
are more or less distinctive traits, and the lightsomeuess and
cheerfulness which have always been a characteristic of the Lind-
say family gave rise to the above saying.

William de Lindsay of Ercildum and Suffness, as he was
sometimes called, grandson of William, figures as magistrate of
Scotland, and witness to the charters of Malcolm the '"Maiden,"
and William the "Lion" from 1161 to 1200. WiUiam was suc-
ceeded by his son, Sir David Lindsay of Suffness from 1233 to
1249. He was the first Earl of Crawford. He left two sons, Alex-
ander and William, the Chamberlain. Alexander had a son,
David, who married Marjory Oglivie. Their son, W T alter, per-
petuated the male line and was the progenitor of the houses of
Edzell and Balcanes. Walter had two sons, David and Walter.
David died in 1528. Walter feU at the battle of Flodden in 1513,
leaving a widow and four sons. He is said to have been one of the
most gallant who fought under the King's banner, and one of the
faithful band, who, after the day was lost, formed themselves
into a ring, and fought to the last in defense of their King. He
was heir to his kinsman, Sir David Lindsay, eighth Earl of Craw-
ford. His eldest son, David, therefore succeeded as ninth earl. His
second son Alexander of Edzell was the father of the Keverend
David Lindsay, the celebrated minister of Leith, Bishop of Koss,
Chaplain, and at various times Envoy Extraordinary and Minis-
ter Plenipotentiary for James the first of England. He left a son
and a daughter. The son was Sir Jerome (or Heirorne) Lindsay
of Annatland, who married, first, Margaret Coville, by whom he
had a son, David, (afterwards Keverend David Lindsay) w r ho
was baptized on the third of January, 1603, the year of the re-
union of the crowns of England and Scotland, and who was the
founder of the Lindsay family in America. Sir Jerome married



HUGH BARTON LINDSAY 859

the second time, Agnes Lindsay, a distant relative, a daughter of
Sir David Lindsay of the "Mount," and the grandniece of Sir
David Lindsay, the poet and Lion King at Arms. On this alli-
ance with Agnes Lindsay, heiress of the "Mount," he became Sir
Jerome (Hierome) Lindsay of the "Mount," and was afterwards
appointed Lord King at Arms, being the fourth and last Lindsay
to hold that office.

It is probable that the earliest ancestor of the Lindsays in
this country was the Keverend David Lindsay, son of Sir Jerome
Lindsay and his first wife, Margaret Coville. He was twenty-
two years old in 1625 and left Scotland between 1645 and 1655.
The earliest evidence of his residence in Virginia is the following,
found in an old book of court orders: "Judgement is granted
Mr. David Lyndsay, minister, whereby he receives 50 pounds of
tobacco from Edward Coles," Northumberland County Court,
March 20, 1655. From this evidence, he must have been living
for some time in the colony. The following items are also taken
from old books of court orders of that time : "21 September, 1657,
Mr. David Lindsay recovers of Thomas Lamkin 365 pounds of
tobacco; October, 1657, Mr. David Lindsay, minister, being be-
hind 700 pounds of tobacco of his last year's salary in Wicomico
Parish, the court orders that the said sum of 700 pounds of to-
bacco, be levied out of the said parish (from every titheable) by
the sherf, etc." October 1662, Mr. David Lindsay was "relieved
of a fine imposed for performing marriage between two servants
contrairy to law," Northumberland County Court house.

It may be interesting to mention, in this connection, a few
things concerning the ministers in the colony. The salary of a
minister, fixed by law, consisted of sixteen thousand pounds of
tobacco per annum, that is, eighty pounds current money; a
dwelling house and glebe; marriage fees; funeral sermons, etc.
In some parishes there were donations of flocks of negroes.

The death, in Scotland, in 1642, of Sir Jerome Lindsay,
father of the clergyman, and the troubled state of his native coun-
try, probably led this early ancestor of the American Lindsay
family to seek a home in the new world. He inherited the estates
of his father and by the Scottish law of knighthood, became Sir
David Lindsay.

Northumberland Countv was one of the best counties of Vir-

/

ginia in the old days, and the hospitality, intelligence and cour-
tesy among the old Virginia gentry are proverbial. The habits,
pleasures and pastimes of the Colonists were, of course, those pre-
vailing in the old country. Keverend David Lindsay lived and
died in the place of his first settlement in Virginia, and was laid
to rest on his plantation, the "Mount." His tombstone is still in
existence, surmounted by the coats of arms of the family. The
original tombstone was found outside of the graveyard, partly



11TGH BARTON LINDSAY

covered with earth, and is now to be seen in the Smithsonian In-
stitute in Washington. On it is inscribed : "Here lyeth interred
yi' bo-ly of that holy and reverend devine Mr. David Lindsay, late
minister of Yecomico, born in the kingdom of Scotland, ye first
and lawful son of ve K. Honorable Sir Hierome Lindsav Knt of

c/

ye 'Mount,' Lord Lion King at Arms; who departed this life in
the 64 year, ye 3rd, April, Anno Dom. 1667." There was another
tombstone put up later, about 1701'. Nothing is known of his
wife except that her name was Susanna, and that she was living
two years previous to her husband's death.

Robert Lindsay was the son of David and Susanna. There
was also a daughter, Helen, who married Thomas Opie.

Robert Lindsay had a son, Opie Lindsay, who, like his father,
became a planter, which occupation he followed until his death in
Northumberland County.

Opie Lindsay married and had three sons : Robert, Thomas
and John. Robert moved to Fairfax County some time previous
to 1743. There seems to have been no cause for this move from
Northumberland to Fairfax unless perhaps he saw a chance of
securing richer and better land, as much of the lands of the lower
Potomac had begun to deteriorate owing to excessive tobacco
planting. Robert was a thorough gentleman, handsome and
proud of his name. He built a home in Fairfax County and called
it the "Mount," in honor of his father's home in Northumberland,
which had received its name from the estate of Sir Jerome in
Scotland. Here he lived to be nearly eighty years old. The
planters' homes were usually built of clapboards, not over two
stories, with the entrance in the center, though some few were of
brick, and the slaves' quarters were small log cabins.

Thomas and John, brothers of Robert and sons of Opie Lind-
say were men of the same sterling qualities and fine appearance.
They moved from Northumberland and settled in Longmarsh in
1740, doubtless for the same reason which prompted Robert's
move. They bought large tracts of land and became wealthy
farmers of Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. Thomas married and
had two sons, Thomas and John, and perhaps other children.
Thomas married Mary Regan by whom he had seven children:
Lewis, born and raised in Longmarsh, and later moved to Win-
chester; Hugh, died unmarried; Alban, died unmarried; Abra-
ham, died unmarried ; Mildred married Samuel Lauk ; Reuben ;
Thomas, who moved to Kentucky. Reuben lived on the Rivania.
near the mouth of the Limestone. His wife was Mary Goodman,
by whom he had six children : Susan, wife of John G. Gray; Mary,
married Albert Watkins; Ann, married Stephen F. Samson;
James ; William ; Reuben, who became a physician.

William Lindsay married and moved to East Tennessee about
1825. He was the pioneer iron manufacturer of Campbell County,



HUGH BARTON LINDSAY 361

and built the first bloomerv for John Baker. He built others

f

afterwards, on Big Creek, Cave Creek, and Davis Creek, the daily
capacity ranging from six hundred to nine hundred pounds of
iron. He was a man of forceful and energetic character, and was
greatly respected in the community in which he lived. His son
Cornelius S. Lindsay married Valentine Bowling, daughter of
Larkin Bowling, and became a successful farmer in Campbell
County, Tennessee. They had five children, one of whom is Hugh
Barton, Judge Lindsay.

The name Bowling signifies, the "sons of the round hill," and
is of Saxon origin. "Kobert Bowling, esquire, in the reign of
Edward the fourth, possessed the elegant house of Bowling Hall
near Bradford, in Yorkshire, England, w r here the family lived and
flourished for many generations." One line of the family settled
in Scotland, where the original way of spelling the name is re-
tained, while in England the form Boiling is often used. Kobert
Bowling (or Boiling) came to America early in the seventeenth
century settling in Virginia, in which State many of his descend-
ants still live.

For more than thirty years a lawyer of Knoxville, Tennessee,
Judge Lindsay has been one of the strongest representatives of
the law in that city, and his professional career has been dis-
tinctly honorable. The years of his boyhood were spent on his
father's farm in Campbell County where he attended the common
schools. He studied law while still continuing his education in
other branches, and was thus eligible to admission to the Bar in
1880, the same year in which he graduated from the Franklin
Academy at Jackboro. He began his professional life in Knox-
ville, and, owing to ambition and industry, soon became known
as a rising young lawyer of ability. His advancement was rapid
and he has occupied various offices of responsibility and distinc-
tion. He is head of the firm of Lindsay, Young and Donaldson,
formerly Lindsay, Y r oung and Smith, one of the best-known law
firms of Knoxville.

Judge Lindsay has served as Attorney-General in the six-
teenth Judicial Circuit, was United States District Attorney for
the eastern district of Tennessee and Chancellor of the Second
Chancery Division of Tennessee. He is an active member of the
Republican party, and in 1886 was elected to the Legislature of
Tennessee.

He is a director of the First National Bank of Kuoxville,
and holds membership in The Cumberland, The Cherokee County
and the Elkniount Clubs.

On February 7, 1883, Judge Lindsay was married at Hunts-
ville, Tennessee, to Miss Sarah Elizabeth Foster. She was born
in Stanford, Kentucky, and is the daughter of Henry and Martha
(White) Foster. Judge and Mrs. Lindsay have eight children:



362 HUGH BARTON LINDSAY

Maud, who married D. C. Webb; Lillian, who married Robert S.
Young; Hugh Barton, Jr.; Robert M. ; William M. ; Charles E.;
Kathern and John Oliver.

Always proficient in whatever walk they have chosen, the
Lindsays have also been proverbial for hospitality. The name
stands well in the annals of the Revolutionary War, members of
the family having been excellent soldiers. Colonel Reuben Lind-
say, among others, was thanked personally by General Washing-
ton for his zealous service to his country.

Judge Lindsav is a member of the Christian Church. He

o i*

believes that the encouragement of education, industry and
economy would tend greatly to promote the general good of the
country, and that the nation should reach a point where intelli-
gence and education would be a necessary qualification for suf-
frage.



JOSEPH ADDISON HOSKINS

A MGNG the lists of tenants in the Domesday Book are found
L& the names of Koger and Rogerus, and from the word
JL jL "Hodge," a nickname for Roger, are derived the sur-
names, Hodges, Hodgson, Hodgkyn, Hodgkyns, Hoskyns,
and Hoskins.

During the latter part of the fifteenth and the early part of
the sixteenth centuries, the Hoskins family lived in Monmouth-
shire, Wales, which became an English County in the time of
Henry VIII. The record, written in Latin, as was usual at that
time, mentions "Thomas Hoskins de Monmouth in Wallia," who
married "Jana, filia Catchmead de com. Glouc.," and left issue.

Sir Thomas Hoskins, of this Monmouth family, who was
knighted at Windsor in 1605, owned the estate of Barrow Green,
Surrey, which continued in the family for many generations.
Another old manor of Surrey connected with the Hoskins family,
was that of Carshalton Park, purchased by Sir Edmund Hoskins,
sergeant-at-law, who was buried in Carshalton Church. In the
fifteenth year of Charles I (1648-49), Sir Edmund represented
the parish of Bledingly, Surrey, in Parliament. The church at
Oxted has many monumental inscriptions in memory of various
members of Hoskins families who have resided in that vicinity.

The Manor of Oxted, for generations the home of many Hos-
kins, is a very old one, being mentioned in Domesday Book
under the name of Acstede.

Hereford Castle, in Herefordshire, which was built soon after
the Norman Conquest, was still standing in the reign of Henry I ;
but in 1520 "the whole castell tended towards ruine." Charles I
granted the ruinous property to Gilbert North, who sold it to
Edward Pye, from whom it passed into the hands of Colonel
Burch, who sold it to Bennett Hoskins, who has been referred to,
by one authority, as "Sir John Bennett of Hoskins in Hereford-
shire." His name is also written as "Sir Bennett Hoskyns," and
he was first baronet of Harwood, in the County of Hereford,
having been created baronet by Charles II, 1676. He represented
County Hereford in Parliament, as did his successors for several



Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 27 of 48)