Albert B Osborne.

Makers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) online

. (page 38 of 48)
Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 38 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tendency she early felt the appeal of exquisite handiwork as dem-
onstrated in cabinet-made articles of vertu, and while mistress of



494 SARAH GLENN (JONES) M ALONE

her own home took great pleasure in the study and collection of
antiques. In fact, Mrs. Malone's private collection of rosewood
and mahogany furniture enjoys more than local fame, having won
the admiration of connoisseurs both North and South. Among
the choice pieces are much-prized heirlooms which have been
handed down from generation to generation in her family. The
Malone residence in Columbia is at Number 1517 Gervais Street.
Mr. and Mrs. Malone were the parents of Blondelle Edwards
Malone, landscape artist of note and patron of the Garden Clubs
of Europe and America, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in
this volume.



BLONDELLE EDWARDS MALONE

A American artist, devoted to the colorful Riviera, Blon-
delle Edwards Malone, has early carved her name high
on the buttress of fame in the art centers of Continental
Europe, where artistic ideals are high and attainment
difficult. As a fitting preamble to the career of this gifted lady
the following translation from the pen of an authority, Mon-
sieur Maurice Guillemot, is here given. Monsieur Guillemot is
an art critic of the well-known Paris periodical "Le Figaro."
In the "Livre d'Or des Peintress Exposants," a work of high
standing exclusively devoted to the careers and achievements of
living artists, he says of Miss Malone:

"As a pupil of John Twachtinan she became especially a
landscape painter. Among the principal works exhibited by
the artist in the different salons of the national society we will
mention, in 1911, 'The Garden of Camille Pissaro;' in 1913,
'The Rose Garden at Bagatelle 7 (Bois de Boulogne). In the
Salon d' Automme, in 1911, appeared "The Poppy Field.' The
artist has, besides, executed for private parties 'The Garden of
the Princess de Polignac,' 'The Garden of the Duke of Bed-
ford,' etc.

'"In 1913 at the Petit Salon of the International Society of
Water Colorists, at the establishment of G. Petit, we well recall
the striking contributions of Miss Blondelle Malone, w^hose
original talent interests us as well at Bagatelle as at Guernsey,
as well at Dreux as at Naples or Palermo.

"In 1913 the artist had a private exhibition at the Lyceum
Club in Paris. M. Maurice Guillemot, in the preface of the
Catalogue, expressed himself thus :

" 'In the balmy Rose Garden of Bagatelle, before the arches
laden with masses of flowers, near clusters of bright colored
corollas, an easel is placed in the sunshine, and on this torrid
August afternoon, while the promenaders have fled toward the
shadows of the park, an artist is working, her blond hair
restrained under a white lace hat.

" 'Feverishly intent on her work, she remains there, care-
less of the heat, of the dazzling reflection ; she grows enthusiastic

[495]



.K J:,.\VAJ:i>S MALONE

for tliis profusion of colors ami perfumes, with her brush she
tries to rival nature herself, tries ;< fix on her canvas a thousand
different harmonies, studies the subtle conditions of the atmos-
phere, the brilliancy of odorous clusters, the delicacy of the
violaceous distance; she crushes tones, strikes notes, struggles
with the Mmiptuous vision, forgetful of time, is disappointed when
the shadow grows longer, according to a verse of Virgil, and
compels her to interrupt her work, which she will resume to-
morrow with the same patient ardor.

" 'This memory is a dear one to invoke while winter sur-
rounds us with its frosts and its mists, and we find again in it
the gaiety of the fine season, a clear and vibrant impression, as
we do, moreover, in all of Miss Malone's work.

" 'Has she not previously painted the garden of Claude
Monet, that of Pissaro, and was not this choice already as an
avowal of her orientation and of her sympathies?

" 'With a sincere palette the artist translates the different
aspects before which her wondering soul will pause, whether it
be the coasts of Greece, where marble temples project their
august and crumbling ruins against an azure sky, whether it be
the Bay of Naples, where arise villas crowned with flowering
pergolas, or the Islands of Jersey, where rocks spring from the
ever-moving sea, or again nearer us the pond in the Bois de
Boulogne, where sleep the nenuphars on the surface of the
watery mirrors.

V

" 'They are these clear and vibrant paintings, perpetual
invitations to travel, to luminous skies, toward sunny sites,
towards an "Elsewhere" both tempting and seductive.

" 'A landscape is to be valued by the emotion the artist has
put into it and also by that which we had contributed to it
ourselves; its charms are not limited by lines, it is a stage
setting in which we undergo the fairy charm of light. Miss
Malone's canvases are causes for happy contemplations, for
sweet vagabond reveries/

In this book there is also a pen sketch of Miss Malone.
Her academic education was obtained in Spartanburg, South
Carolina, and at Converse College. In New York a course at
the Art Students' League demonstrated her conspicuous talent
for landscape painting and made desirable the encouragement
of foreign study. Later in the atmosphere of art, established in
a Parisian atelier and spurred by professional competition for
place in the Salon, her canvases seemed miraculously to catch
and hold the elusive glamour of Italian sunsets, the gleam of



BLONDELLE EDWARDS MALONE 497

Greek pilasters, the charm and color of rose-gardens and poppy
fields. Indoor work at the easel, however, has but seldom
occupied her time, as by painting "in the open" is a tenet of
her art. It is practically demanded by the French disciples of
impressionism and, regardless of bronzing, burning suns, and
the natural lethargies born of the climate on the Riviera, out-
of-door work is bravely essayed. From the rose gardens of
California, the flowery kingdom of Japan, the Riviera, the isles
of Sicily, the famed lake region of Ireland and quaint corners of
Old England, Miss Malone has stolen exquisite beauty which
she has reproduced with great sincerity and exactness. To-day
she is recognized as a landscape and garden painter "par
excellence."

An index to Miss Malone's status as an artist of ability is
her membership in various noted professional clubs: The United
Arts Club, Dublin; the Lyceum Club of France; the National
Society of Fine Arts, Paris; The Water Colour Painters, Paris,
and the fact that she is an exhibitor at the Royal Academy,
London, and the New English Art Club, London. She is also
united with various social and patriotic organizations at home
and abroad, notable among which are the United Daughters of
the Confederacy, the Daughters of the American Revolution and
the Royal Hibernian Society (Dublin). Because of her interest
in Hindoo philosophy and the motif of Japanese poetry she is
also a member of the Orientalists' Club, Paris. Balzac, Poe,
Thackeray are her frequent companions under the reading lamp,
and on her book-racks the plays of Shakespeare find welcome
space.

Miss Malone is a rapt and enthusiastic worker. Art for
art's sake is her motto while at work with palette and brush
in her charming studio in the Rue de Chateaubriand. She has
been an exhibitor at the Paris Autumn Salon since 1911, and
has shown her canvases privately at the Lyceum Club, where
they won much praise from the initiated and from the Paris
press. In 1914, she renewed her exhibit at the American Art
Students' League and at the Boutet de Monvel gallery. Nor is
she unknown in her own country, having exhibited at the
New York Water Colour Club and at the Pennsylvania Academy
of Fine Arts. The fact that she has exhibited at the Salon is
proof of the quality of her work, for it is undeniable that in that
noted gallery the best place is accorded the most fit. There
genius, not gold, holds the open sesame.

Although for years her home has been in Columbia, South



498 BLOXDELLE EDWARDS MALONE

Carolina, Miss Maloiie is by birth a Georgian. She was born on
the sixteenth day of November, 1877, the daughter of Miles
Alexander and Sarah Glenn (Jones) Malone, who were then
residents of Rehoboth, Georgia, a pleasant hamlet lying close
to the boundaries of three counties Morgan, Oconee and Walton
-but belonging to Morgan County. A sketch and memorial,
respectively, of her father and mother appear in this volume,
hence an extensive resume of the family lines is thought to be
unnecessary.

The artist undoubtedly inherits her talent from the Bogles,
who have been portrait painters of note. James Bogle, born in
South Carolina, in 1817, was a member of the National Academy.
He devoted himself to portraiture and attained an excellent
reputation, especially in the Southern States. Calhoun, Clay and
Webster were among his many distinguished patrons. Portraits
in miniature, executed by John Bogle, of Scotland, were exhibited
in London for nearly a quarter of a century. Another dis-
tinguished painter of the name was Lockhart Bogle, whose
portrait of William Makepeace Thackeray hangs in the Great
Hall of Trinity College, Cambridge. Both Lockhart and Bogle
are names well known in the world of art. Miss Malone is a
descendant in the paternal line of Robert Bogle, who was born
November 19, 1782. Of his marriage with Annie Bogle, nee
Reed, of Maryville. Tennessee, five daughters were born Lavinia,
Lucinda, Harriet, Martha and Nancy Jane. Miss Malone is the
granddaughter of Nancy and the great-granddaughter of Robert
Bogle. This name is of Scotch origin. The Bogles of Iredale
County, North Carolina, were patriots of the Revolutionary
days. During that struggle for American Independence another
Robert Bogle (perhaps father of the Robert born in 1782) not
only furnished supplies for the American Army, but, under
great risk, delivered them at various points where troops were
encamped.

It was Edmond Malone, wealthy Irish critic, editor and
commentator of Shakespeare, who published the literary works
and paintings of Sir Joshua Reynolds, whom Ruskin calls the
"swiftest of painters and gentlest of companions," and whose
career was a remarkable instance of continual prosperity. It was
due to the foresight and enterprise of Edmond Malone that Sir
Joshua's masterful portraits, reproduced by the engraver's art,
were made familiar to many who could never have beheld the
original paintings.

As an American who has wrought creditably. Miss Malone



BLONDELLE EDWARDS MALONE 499

holds an honorable place in her profession. Still in the glow
and vigor of young womanhood and possessing the well-known
ardency of the Southerner, it is safe to prophesy that her career
has by no means reached its zenith.

Miss Malone studied for a time under John Henry Twacht-
man, pupil of Anton Mauve. To Twachtman and his associate,
Theodore Robinson, are given the credit of bringing the spirit of
the French Impressionists to American landscape painting.
Among the best examples of his work, in the Corcoran Art
Gallery, City of Washington, are "The Torrent" an Impres-
sionist's view of the Niagara rapids (Evans Collection), "Round
Hill Road" and "The End of Winter" (Freer Collection).

Miss Malone's address when in "The States" is Aiken, South
Carolina. Her studio is at Number 11, Rue de Chateaubriand,
Paris.



JAMES W. DILLON

WHAT a wonderful heritage to the generations yet to come,
is the memory of a life of more than eighty years, spent
in the exemplification of the highest ideals of industry,
honesty, thrift and love of kind. It is eminently proper
in this sketch of the career of James W. Dillon, of Dillon, South
Carolina, to quote the words of Mr. P. B. Sellers, in his com-
munication to the "News and Courier," of August 9, 1913 : "There
is found/ 7 he writes, "in the life and character of our departed
friend and fellow citizen so much of inspiration, so much of hope
and courage under difficulties, so much that was manly and full
of high resolve, so much of wholesome example of thrift and high
purpose to make something of his profession, that makes for the
encouragement of the vouth of our country and State, such a

1_7 I/ *-

noble exhibition of the virtues of kindness and liberality, and
such a fine sense of the obligation resting upon him to use the
property that his thrift and energy had brought into his hands
for the common good of those about him to give a detail of which
would fill an ordinary volume."

James W. Dillon was the grandson of Joshua Dillon, who,
taking part in the Revolutionary War, settled down after peace
in the upper part of Marion, now Dillon County, near the site
of the present town of Little Rock. William Dillon, his son,
followed him in the pursuit of farming. The wife of William
Dillon was Lucretia, daughter, supposedly, of Andrew Cottiug-
ham, a South Carolina planter. James W., their oldest son, was
born November 26, 1826. There was a daughter, Martha, who
married and raised a family in Florida. James early learned to

f /

work upon the farm. His father died when he was quite young.
The outdoor life, all the inconveniences of that pioneer time, and
the strenuous labor, developed the boy's frame, and while he was
never very strong physically, he was always able to look after
his business interests. His life extended far beyond the pro-
verbial "Three score and ten" years of normal allotment. His
educational advantages were extremely limited, for not only
w r ere the schools elementary in their scope, but the family
resources being limited James was forced to obtain the means to
defray school expenses by physical labor.

[ 500]



JAMES W. DILLON 503

It should be remembered that in those days, while the
opportunities for higher education were scarce, the foundations
were laid deep and broad in the insistence of a thorough training
in fundamentals; the three "R's," to use an old-time expression.
Consequently, the children whose education was begun in these
old field schools were furnished the means whereby, if ambitious
and industrious, they far outclimbed the intellectual heights of
many of our own day, who with every other advantage are handi-
capped by the neglect, in our present system, of a thorough train-
ing in fundamentals.

Mr. James W. Dillon was a striking example of this truth,
for he was really that very rare evolution of a self -educated man.
As a speaker, his flow of words was smooth and strong, and his
knowledge of language thorough. He spoke and wrote well, and
his orthography was always correct. His knowledge of condi-
tions was complete, his conceptions of progress clear and his
determination when once aroused unflinching, as was evidenced in
his work for the establishment of Dillon County, extending over
a period of fifteen years. No doubt in his development the strain
of heredity was his great asset.

In his youth he worked at carpentry, and became proficient.
He was never ashamed of work. But this was not the line in
which his ability was to be proved.

He was naturally a financier, and possibly in some other
environments would have rivalled some of our merchant princes,
in the North and the Northwest, as well as the great captains of
finance.

In 1853, Mr. Dillon began his mercantile career in a small
way at Little Rock, but his business grew, and prosperity dawned
apace. He soon obtained the confidence of the small farmers and
the rich planters, on both sides of the State's lines, and became
the leading merchant of that section. There were no railroad
facilities and no banking institution within reasonable distance,
the nearest railroad being at Marion County Court House, almost
twenty-five miles distant. It was necessary to haul all goods in
wagons over rough roads, at great expense and discomfort, not-
withstanding which, his success continued to increase.

In those ante-bellum days the long credit system was in
vogue, and the Civil War found Mr. Dillon in debt for consider-
able amounts to his wholesale dealers. Such debts, held in abey-
ance during the four years of the war, had, in many cases, long
before been relegated to the "profit and loss" page, and the
astonishment and admiration of his creditors in the North, when
Mr. Dillon put in an appearance, ready to make settlement, may
be imagined.



504 JAMES W. DILLON

After the close of the war Mr. Dillon handled the greater
part of the cotton grown in upper Marion County. He also
opened a private banking institution, which was an absolute
necessity in consideration of the large amount of trade gradually
accumulating. Again and again he was forced to enlarge his
buildings. He was becoming wealthy, and, as he was familiar
with and supervised personally all the details of his business, he
was a very busy man. Much of his income he invested in real
estate. He was the benefactor of the indigent planter. He was
most generous in his credits to his struggling fellow citizens,
and although an acute judge of character, being seldom defrauded,
still there are on his books tens of thousands of dollars of un-
paid loans. Many a man owed his start and his success in life
to Mr. Dillon's generosity.

James W. Dillon's first wife was Harriett, daughter of Allan
and Mary Jones. She was born February 14, 1834, in Fayette-
ville, North Carolina, and died February 7 1, 1865. Their children
were: William Sheppard; John Bethea, who died in infancy; an
infant daughter who died, and Thomas Allan.

His second wife was Sallie McLaurin. daughter of Daniel
and Mary McLaurin, born May 17, 1845. in Marlboro County,
who died July 10, 1885. The children of this union were Daniel
McLaurin and Harriett. Of the third marriage with Sallie I.
Townsend, born February 14, 1836, and died February 4, 1904,
daughter of Jacob R. and Sophronia Townsend, there were no
children. William Sheppard Dillon, born February 18, 1854, who
died June 19, 1905, eldest son of James W., was educated in the
home schools, and at William and Henry College, Virginia, and
studied dentistry. He married first, Margaret Adams, who bore
him a son, James. By his second wife, Salome McKensie, there
were no children. Thomas Allan is the only surviving child of
his father's first marriage. Daniel McLaurin Dillon, son by
second marriage, born September 3, 1866, was educated at home
schools and at Fort Mill Preparatory School, and is a farmer.
He married Blanche Bethea, and has no children. Harriett
Dillon, born April 21, 1869, was educated at home schools and at
Columbia College. She married, in 1889, Frank B. David, brother
of another of Dillon County's active progressive "men who do
things." Mrs. David had the misfortune to lose her eldest son.
James W., June 6, 1891, and her husband July 21, 1901. Her
surviving children are: Frank Bethea, Jeddie Bristow, William
Josiah and Thomas Dillon.

In 1882 Mr. Dillon took into partnership with him his sou,
Thomas A. Dillon, who is the counterpart of his father, in his
keen sense of finance, his genial, kindly spirit, and his unselfish



JAMES W. DILLON

devotion to the public good. In 1888 the Florence Railroad, a
connecting link of the Main Line Atlantic Coast Line Railroad,
with the embryo town of Dillon was built. The site of the town
was on land owned principally by James W. Dillon and Son, who
had donated a half interest in fifty-four acres to the Florence
Railway Company.

In 1891, Dillon having become a much more important centre,
the old store at Little Kock was abandoned and all the interests
of J. W. Dillon and Son were centered in the old town which
bears the name of its benefactor. In 1903 the firm was in-
corporated under the title of J. W. Dillon and Son, Company.
The officers of the Company were: J. W. Dillon, President; Mrs.
Hattie David, Vice-President ; T. A. Dillon, Secretary-Treasurer.

It was only in 1895 that the idea of forming a new county
from part of Marion was taken up actively, and a meeting was
held in the office of Doctor J. H. David and Brother, to devise
means for its accomplishment. The advantages of the measure
were placed before the people of the county, and a bill was drawn
up in the Legislature, but only after several elections, extending
over fifteen years, did the bill pass. It was perhaps more by the
indomitable determination and unfaltering courage of James W.
Dillon and his son, nobly sustained by the citizens of the section,
that success at last crowned their efforts.

The occasion of the signing of the bill by the Governor,
February 5, 1910, was a gala day such as is seldom experienced.
A party of forty gentlemen of the new county went to Columbia,
and with them, in his eighty-fifth year, was the "Father of
Dillon County," the hero of the day.

"As the party entered the Executive Office they were placed
in a semi-circle around the Governor's chair. On his right were
Mr. J. W. Dillon and Mr. T. A. Dillon, on his left were Colonel
Knox Livingston and R. H. Welch, Esq., attorneys for the new
county.

"As the Governor took up a handsome gold pen, provided by
Mr. T. A. Dillon for the occasion, and wrote his signature to the
bill, which established forever the County of Dillon, there was a
breathless silence, which was broken by applause when the Chief
Executive announced that the bill was now a law and Dillon
County a reality. The pen used was handed to Mr. J. W. Dillon
by the Governor and suitably engraved.

"After the ceremonies the party adjourned from the Gov-
ernor's rooms to the Jerome Hotel, where they were entertained
at lunch by the Messrs. Dillon, father and son."

The Commissioners provided for in the bill, to take charge of
the building of a Court House and jail for the county, were



50C JAMES W. DILLON

appointed by the Governor, and J. W. Dillon and Son donated
a half square of land, worth $10,000.00, besides $25,000.00 in cash,
a birthday gift to the county, in addition to several thousand
dollars which they had already given for the same purpose.

The Court House cost $100,000.00. It is provided with every
convenience, contains offices for all the county officers, is of fire-
proof construction, with fire-proof vaults for each office, and is
heated throughout by steam. Its outside appearance is very
attractive and artistic. Indeed all the public buildings of Dillon
are erected upon the same lines.

It is seldom that such a meed of success is achieved by a
man, as has crowned the life work of James W. Dillon, and every
whit of it deservedly bestowed.

Mr. Dillon was actively engaged in his business pursuits until
within a few weeks of his death, although, of course, his burden
was almost entirely borne by his son, who was his alter ego; he
died July 29, 1913.

Mr. Dillon's old age was very beautiful. His mind was as
clear as in the heyday of youth, his heart as warm and sym-
pathizing, his spirits buoyant, and with a zeal for good works
that never faltered he w r ent like one "Who wraps the drapery of
his couch about him, and lies down to pleasant dreams. 77

In the white marble corridor of the Court House the body

\.r

of Dillon's grand old man was lain, that the crowds who loved
him and in whose minds he was a part of Dillon might gaze for
the last time on the features so familiar to them all. Mr. Dillon
was a sincere Christian, a lifelong member of the Methodist
Church, to which he was a most generous benefactor. He also
belonged to the Masonic fraternity.

This sketch might best be closed by quoting some excerpts
from the address delivered at his funeral by his pastor, Dr. R. E.
Stackhouse :

"And here, first of all, the career of J. W. Dillon reminds us
that ours is truly the land of opportunity. He began life a poor
boy, was early thrown on his own resources, and yet by industry,
honesty, integrity, square-dealing and indomitable pluck and
perseverance, he accumulated wealth, carved a name for himself
and rose in public esteem and usefulness until he was universally
known as the father of his town and county."

"But while Mr. Dillon made money, he never used it selfishly,
but always for the public good. For miles and miles around the
poor found in him a friend, and it is common knowledge that in
his long life he helped more people in distress than any other
man this country has ever known."

f

"He demonstrated again and again that his object in carrying



JAMES W. DILLON 507

on business was not merely to amass wealth for himself but to
benefit his fellowmen, and without doubt he goes to his grave
with the blessing of more poor people resting on him than any
other man we have known !"

"After a career of sixty years in business, without a stain



Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 38 of 48)