Albert B Osborne.

Makers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) online

. (page 40 of 48)
Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


founded the Grammar Schools in 1558, and there is record of
Johnsons at the battle of Agincourt.

In 1684 Ezechiel Johnson was Lord of the Manor of Clipaham
of Rutlandshire. The family was scattered in different countries,
with the earliest record in London of ten Johnson families in
1633 and of Robert Johnson, a merchant, in 1640, and James,
Richard, Thomas and William in the same year. In 1671, James
Johnson, of Yarmouth, was knighted at Yarmouth, and, in 1696,
at Kennington, John Johnson, an alderman, was knighted.

The Johnstons and John stones are, of course, related
families. The Johnstons of Carnsalloch are a very ancient
branch, and the Cowhill family are cadets of the same great clan
of Annandale. The Johnstons of Kincardine are descended from
the Soutor Johnstones, scions of the house of Johnstone of
Annandale, who fled from their native district in 1460 in con-
sequence of "some discontent" and settled in Perthshire, assuming
the name of Sou tar. Later they were permitted to resume their
ancient name of Johnston.

Mr. Johnson has made rapid strides in his profession, having
in nine years gained one of the largest practices in the region
where he lives. He has associated with him recently his younger
brother, E. M. Johnson, who is a graduate of the Wake Forest
College, and who is also Assistant Recorder of the City Court.
This firm, Johnson and Johnson, enjoys a splendid reputation for
professional ability and moral worth.

Thomas L. Johnson has interested himself in many enter-
prises. He is a director of the First National Bank of Lumber-
ton, Secretary and Treasurer of the Mutual Loan and Trust
Company, which is largely instrumental in the development of
this section, and an officer in a number of other corporations.
He is a good Democrat in his political preferences and has been
repeatedly recognized by the party, though he has avoided a
candidacy for any office, other than that of member of the County
Board of Education, where he has efficiently served for the past
five years. Mr. Johnson is fulfilling well his desire for a life of
usefulness. He is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, is an
earnest member of the First Baptist Church, and has taught its
second largest Bible Class for the past seven years.

On December 22, 1909, at Hickory, North Carolina, he mar-
ried Miss Jessie Moser, who was born at Conover, Catawba
County, November 12, 1884. Her parents were Franklyn Pierce
and Susan Moser, families represented in the Hillsboro and



520 THOMAS LESTER JOHNSON

Salisbury districts of Orange, Randolph and Stokes Counties in
Revolutionary times.

t/

The home of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson is in Lumberton, and
their children are Thomas Lester, Jr., and Christine. Mutual
trust and affection make their home complete. Yet Thomas
Lester Johnson is not concerned merely with the things of his
household, for his heart beats in unison with all hunianitv.

*j

Quoting again from the teacher, some of whose words have
already been used in these pages :

"Down the road toward Wilmington, in a growing town,
there is a young lawyer, newly married, true as steel, a teacher
in his Sunday-school, the helper of his pastor, a royal spirit who
finds time as there is opportunity to speak to groups of boys and
girls and parents a mountain boy, who, as his days are pro-
longed, will grow in usefulness, in wisdom and power, for he does
not put himself or his own interest first."

Such is Thomas Lester Johnson.



CHARLES SYLVESTER GRINDALL

FOLLOWING the religious revolution, fathered by Martin
Luther, and the revolt of Henry VIII when he made war
on the old Church to which England owed her civilization,
conditions in the Old World had become intolerable. One
individual after another set out to preach new doctrines, one
sect after another sprang up, one and all claiming the right
to choose their own belief, and to worship God in their own
fashion, each the object of persecution by all the others, as well
as by the Governments where new religions were established
bv law.

c/

The people began to look towards the new world, form col-
onies and emigrate, hoping to find in a strange, savage land the
freedom denied them at home. Unfortunately, the most of these

9J /

colonists were imbued with ideas of personal liberty alone, con-
tinuing in the land of their adoption the same persecution of
those of other beliefs, from which they themselves had suffered
in the land of their birth.

The Catholic pioneers of Maryland, to their everlasting
glory be it recorded, were the first to establish liberty of con-
science in America, and their colony of Maryland became the
land of sanctuary. Political changes, ingratitude and venality
shook the very foundation of her institutions, and her people
were again subjected to all the miseries of religious persecution.
But the war of the Revolution brought about the triumph of
their ideas and principles, and freedom in her majesty began
to dominate the Nation. Woe to America should the hvdra of

t>

" 7 isms" ever succeed in its perennial efforts to inaugurate a
war of persecution upon the posterity of the wonderful men
from whose composite brain sprang Minerva-like religious
liberty.

Doctor Charles Sylvester Grindall and his wife, Alverta
Caughey Grindall, are the descendants of some of those men who
in their day were truly "Makers of America."

Doctor Grindall's grandfather was a son of John Gibson
Grindall, of England, whose name he bore in full. He settled
in Harford County, where, November 17, 1807, he married Ellen
Wheeler. Of this marriage there were five children, of whom
one was John Thomas Grindall, the father of Doctor Grindall.

John Gibson Grindall removed to Chillicothe, Ohio, with all
his family except John Thomas, who engaged in business at

[523]



5-1 CHARLES SYLVESTKIi (iKIXDALL

Ellicott City with the Ellicotts. Their success was pronounced,
and as a place for expansion of their interests they chose Balti-
more. The journey thither was by wagons and horses, through
the beautiful valley where now the Baltimore and Ohio Rail-
road runs.

The arms of that branch of the family of drindall as borne

it

in Maryland are thus described :

Arms: Gules a cross molins or.

Crest: A dexter arm in armour embowed, the hand hold-
ing by the blade a sword, point downwards, all proper.

The Maryland Iron and Chemical Works were established
with Mr. Grinclall as General Manager. It was this output that
furnished the acid used in the sending of the first telegraphic
message from Baltimore to Washington by Professor Morse:
"What hath God wrought!"

John Thomas Grindall married Miss Eliza (born in Balti-
more 1815, died 1883), daughter of Thomas Armstrong, of Balti-
more, and Ellen Curren Armstrong, of County Tyrone, Ireland.
Thomas Armstrong, wife and children were living in Backwine
at the time of the British bombardment of Fort McHenry, and
of the Battle of North Point during the War of 1812.

Through the Armstrongs, Mr. Grindall came into possession
of a large tract of land in South Baltimore, which he divided
into lots upon which he built houses, selling them on a partial
payment plan, thereby giving birth to the Building and Loan
Associations, such a boon to workingmen and others seeking to
establish homes. Grindall street in South Baltimore still per-
petuates the name of a man whose whole life was one of devo-
tion and benevolence to his fellow-men, and when he died. May
17, 1885, truly was it to be said: "Man goeth to his long home,
and the mourners go about the streets."

"Grindall Street" is the title of one of the poems of Folger
McKinsey, "The Bentztown Bard." The property in this sec-
tion is still in the possession of Mr. Grindall's son, Doctor C. S.
Grindall, who with his brothers, Joseph A. and John Ellicott,
was a trustee of his father's estate, and later administrator of
that of his brother, John Ellicott, who died, May 3, 1897.

Doctor Charles Sylvester Grindall was born in Baltimore,
July 8, 1849. His education was conducted on lines fitted to
develop the intellect and broaden the outlook of the future phil-
anthropist. He was sent to the primary school of St. Joseph's
parish on Barry street. His preparatory studies were made at
Saint Mary's College, Wilmington, Delaware. His university
course was pursued at Loyola College, Baltimore, where he re-
ceived his Master's degree, June 23, 1886. Elected president of
the Alumni Association, he served a year. Choosing dentistry
as his profession, he was graduated in 1872 at the Baltimore



CHARLES SYLVESTER GRINDALL 525

College of Dentistry. After a post-graduate course at the Uni-
versity of Maryland, he opened his dental offices in the three-
hundred block of North Charles Street.

Well established in a lucrative practice, he married Miss
Alverta, daughter of Noah Walker Caughey and Mary Jane
Tormey Caughey. He thus became allied to one of the oldest
Maryland families, as his wife traces her lineage in a direct
line to Sir George Calvert, and Leonard Calvert, first Governor
of Maryland; Governor Robert Brooke, who held that office in
1652; Colonel Baker Brooke of De La Brooke Manor; Captain
James Neale ; Honorable John Pile ; Sir Dudley Diggs and others
no less worthy of renown. The marriage was solemnized at a
nuptial Mass in the Church of St. Ignatius, Rev. William J.
Clark, S. J. officiating.

After some years of successful practice during which he
made many warm and devoted friends, Dr. Grindall moved his
offices further upon North Charles Street to number four hun-
dred and twenty-one. Among the clientele of Doctor Grindall
were many prominent members of religious orders and of the
clergy. He was for seven years visiting dental surgeon to the
Jesuit House of Studies at Woodstock, to St. Agnes College at
Mount Washington and to others of like standing.

Doctor Grindall has been one of the foremost of his genera-
tion, in work for the betterment of social life, and for improve-
ments making for the greater beauty and attractiveness of the
city of Baltimore. On the executive committee of the Charles
Street Improvement Company with his co-workers he has dili-
gently endeavored to make that street the most beautiful in the
whole Nation.

The public department of the City has given him proofs of
its appreciation of his efforts in behalf of the civic purity. His
help was most efficient in rooting out and banishing undesirable
elements and where once were immoral pest spots there are now
happy homes.

Privately the charities and good works of Doctor Grindall
are further reaching than is known. Sickness, suffering, finan-
cial loss have never appealed to him in vain.

In 1894 he retired from professional duties, devoting his time
to the civic and charitable work for which he is so well known.
For more than half his life he has been connected with the ad-
mirable work of the society of Saint Vincent de Paul, and his
exertions have been untiring. He was President of the Special
Work of the St. Vincent de Paul Society in the Jails and Peni-

*/

tentiaries, the House of Correction and Bay View Asylum. He
is deeply interested in the penal institutions of his City and
State. It was through his persistent effort that a Chaplain was
appointed for the Catholics of the Baltimore City Jail, the Peni-



526 CHARLES SYLVESTER GRIXPALL

tentiary and the House of Correction, and also the appointment
of visitors and religious teachers for these institutions. Altars
were built in the House of Correction and Penitentiary, and
libraries installed. The most of the vestments used were do-
nated through his efforts, as also were many of the beautiful
statues adorning the walls. To the Little Sisters of the Poor,
he has been a constant benefactor, and only in eternity may be
enumerated the number of souls called to the True Faith
through his zeal. Many graves in consecrated ground have been

^? t/ c?

given to the poor and to condemned criminals through his solici-
tation.

Among many other works of charity he is a life member
of the Society for the protection of children, a non-sectarian
organization, and he is a Director of Dolan's Children's Aid
Society.

Doctor Grindall has traveled extensively, in his own coun-
try and abroad. Three times he has been received in audience
by Pope Leo XIII and four times by Pope Pius X; a record
hardly equaled by any other layman of the Church. His last
visit abroad was made in company with His Eminence Cardinal
Gibbons, Archbishop Farley of Xew York, Bishop Foley of De-
troit, Bishop O'Connell of Kichmond, Reverend Louis O'Dono-
van and Monsignor Lee, the occasion being the fifth anniversary
of the elevation to the Papal Chair of Pope Pius X. The Car-
dinal's birth anniversary was celebrated during the voyage, the
description of the festivities on board ship having been reported
bv Doctor Grindall most felieitouslv in his letters to the "Balti-

*s *J

more Sun."

Doctor Grindall is a most interesting lecturer, and is in
great demand by many societies and associations, his lectures
dealing mainly with his travels in Europe and other parts of
the world. Perhaps the greatest gratification of his life is in his
close intimacy with his beloved Cardinal, who frequently singles
him out to bestow upon him marks of his appreciation. At the
laying of the cornerstone of the new Saint Charles College, the
Cardinal requested that Doctor Grindall walk by his side. A
photograph taken during the procession has been enlarged, one
copy of which adorns the Cardinal's residence, one is in St.
Mary's Seminary, one in the Sacred Heart Rectory and one at

ft// *j

St. Charles College. No matter where he may be Doctor Grin-
dall sends the Cardinal a message on his anniversary, once send-
ing a wireless from sea at a distance of eight hundred miles.

Through his grandfather, John Gibson Grindall, who dis-
tinguished himself with the Forty-second and Forty-third Mary-
land Militia in 1812, and through his other ancestors, Doctor
Grindall is a member of the Sons of the Revolution ; and the Sons
of 1812. He is also a member in the Society of Colonial Wars,



CHARLES SYLVESTER GRINDALL 527

the Maryland Historical Societies and the National Historical
Society of New York. He is eligible for membership in other
patriotic societies.

The name of Doctor Charles S. Grindall is synonymous

*. t

with every work of civic betterment and of charity, and no his-
tory of the present era of Baltimore could be written in which
his name would not hold a prominent place.

Exemplified to its utmost limit in his character is the ol-!.
old adage : "Blood will tell." It was in 1578, half a century be-
fore Lord Baltimore's project to found a refuge for Catholics in
the New World, where delivered from the persecution of the
penal laws of England, they might worship God in peace follow-
ing the dictates of conscience, that Sir Humphrey Gilbert, Sir
George Peckham and Sir Thomas Gerrard obtained a concession
of the Island of Newfoundand from Queen Elizabeth. By their
charter they were empowered to make laws: "so as they be not
against the true Christian faith or religion now professed in the
Church of England."

Setting out with a numerous colony of Catholics their ship
landed at Newfoundland in 1583, but by the unfortunate loss at
sea of some of the leaders, the whole expedition was a failure.
Later a son of Sir Thomas Gerrard, Richard, came back in the
"Ark and Dove" with Hon. Leonard Calvert the first Proprietary
Governor of Maryland and second son of the first Lord Balti-
more. Sailing from Cowes in the Isle of Wight, November 22,
1633, they arrived off the coast of Virginia, February 24, 1634.
After some delay they sailed up the Potomac, landing on Black -
iston's Island, where, March 25, the Feast of the Annunciation
of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was
offered for the first time on the soil of Maryland.

Sir George Calvert was already interested in Virginia as he
was a stockholder in the Virginia Company of London; as were
also Thomas and Nicholas Wheeler.

The Gerard or Gerrard family is of very ancient lineage.
Otho, a rich and powerful noble of King Alfred's time, was de-
scended from the Dukes of Tuscany. The English progenitors
of the family came from Florence through Norway into Nor-
mandy, and a few into Wales. Richard Strongbow, Earl of
Pembroke, was nearly related, and Otho was a Baron of England
in the time of Edward the Confessor. William Fitz-Otho, Castel-
lan of Windsor, was appointed Warden of the Fields in Berk-
shire in 1078. He possessed thirty-five Lordships in the Counties
of Bucks, Dorset, Middlesex, Wiltshire, Somerset and South-
ampton, which were in the family before the Conquest, He mar-
ried Gladys, daughter of a Welsh princess, and their sons Gerald,
Robert and William were the ancestors of the Gerrards Lords



528 rilAKLKS SYLYHSTKR <;HIXHALL

Gerrard of Bromley, Km Is of Macclesfield un<l also of the Car-
lows and other distinguished families of Great Britain.

James Gerrar<l, Bishop of Harford, was translated to the
archbishopric of York in 1100.

Coming down in a direct line, through intermarriage with
a descendant of King Edward I, Sir Gilbert Gerrard was ap-
pointed Attorney General by Queen Elizabeth.

Sir Thomas Gerrard, his near relative, was sent to the tower
because of an attempt to release Mary, Queen of Scots, and his
estates coming from his grandmother were handed over to his
kinsman, the Attorney General, Sir Gilbert, who was also Mas-
ter of the Rolls and it seems probable that, like many another
of that day, he received them as a trust to be one day returned,
which no doubt he did, as wealth seems to have remained in the
family.

Sir Thomas w r as obliged to mortgage many of his other
estates. One of his sons w r as tortured in the tower, for his devo-
tion to the cause of Mary, Queen of Scots, but escaped and after-
wards endowed the College of Liege, where he died.

Sir Thomas, his son, was created a Baronet among the insti-
tutions of James I, and the one thousand pounds sterling that he
offered the King were returned to him in consideration of his
father's sufferings through his loyalty to the King's mother.

Sir Thomas, the sixth Baronet, married the daughter of the
Duke of Somerset, and sister of Lord Seymour. She died in
1734. Of this marriage there were six sons : Sir William, Rich-
ard, Peter, Gilbert, Thomas and John. William, Gilbert and
Thomas are recorded at Greys Inn in 1609-10. Peter Gerrard,
M.I)., Brasenose College, Oxford, B.A., April 11, 1662, M.A.
January 18, 1664, M.D. July, 1669, was admitted to the College
of Physicians in 1671.

Richard, the second son, went to Marvland with the Cal-

/

verts, but returned to England, served in the army and died
there. Doctor Thomas Gerrard either came with his brother,
or after, and remained. He received the grant of St. Clement's
Island and Manor in 1639. He was a zealous Catholic and it
was greatly due to his exertions that freedom of worship was
preserved. To his co-religionists he was a tower of strength. In
addition to his vast lands in Maryland, he had a grant of a
thousand acres in Northampton, Virginia. He w T as by far the
greatest land ow r ner of his time. He married Susannah, sister
of Justinian and Marniaduke Snow, and died in Virginia in
1639. Doctor Gerrard was the earliest American ancestor of
Doctor Charles S. Grindall.

Elizabeth, daughter of Doctor Thomas Gerrard, married
Colonel Nehemiah Blakiston in 1669, and thus St. Clement's
Island went into possession of the Blakistons by whose name it



CHARLES SYLVESTER GRINDALL 529

is now known ; Blakiston's Island on the Potomac being a favor-
ite place of resort for outing parties.

The Blakiston family of Maryland traces its lineage to the
Blakiston of Newton Hall, Blakeston, in the Palatinate of Dur-
ham. A pedigree in Surtees' Durham, carries the line back to
New Year 1341.

Rev. Marmaduke Blackiston fifth son of John Blackiston, by
his first wife Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of Sir George
Bowes of Dalden and Streatham, Kent, married in 1595 Mar-
garet Gaines. He died in 1639, his wife predeceased in 1630.
John, the second of eleven children, was born in 1603, married
Susan Chambers in 1626. He was Member of Parliament for
New Castle in 1641 and Mayor of New Castle in 1645, and died
in 1650.

Nehemiah, third son of John and Susan Chambers Blakis-
ton, is named in his father's will in 1649, as the inheritor of
great grants in Virginia and was born about 1637. It is prob-
able that he came to America with his uncle George Blakiston
and his family in 1668. He married in 1669 Elizabeth, daughter
of Thomas Gerard, Esq., who settled upon him and his heirs
lands and tenements of great value in St. Mary's County.
Among these were two tracts, one called Longworth's Point, the
other Dare's neck containing together four hundred acres,
which were conveyed to Nehemiah Blakiston and Elizabeth, his
wife. He was one of the attorneys of the Provincial Court in
1696; he was Clerk of the King's Customs for Wicomico and
Potomac Rivers in 1685. In the Revolution of 1689 for his ser-
vices he received a vote of thanks from the Assembly, and was
commissioned Captain of a troop of horse in the St. Mary's
County Militia. In 1690 he was appointed "President of the
Committee for the Present Government of the Province." In
1691 he was appointed Chief Justice of the Provincial Court
of Maryland and in the same year Speaker of the Assembly.
His commission as Colonel was dated in 1692. He died during
the following year. Mrs. Blakiston married secondly James
Rymer in 1696, and thirdly Joshua Gaibert of St. Mary's
County. Her only children were those of the first marriage.
She died 1716.

John, eldest son of Colonel Nehemiah and Elizabeth Gerard
Blakiston, inherited Longworth's Point from his mother and
other property from his father. He married Anne Guibert,
daughter of his stepfather, and died in 1724. Their daughter
Elizabeth who was the second wife of Roswell Neale of St.
Mary's County.

Sir Matthew Blakiston was Lord Mavor of London in 1760,

d* /

created Baronet in 1763. In 1753 he was Sheriff of London. He
was descended from Henrv III.



SYLVKSTKi: <;UI.\iAM,



In the Revolutionary Records are found in the Thirteenth
Virginia Regiment. the names of IJenjanihi Cerrard and Predox
Blakiston, (War Department 1T.01 and L



In Dngdale's Visitation of Yorkshire in 1(100 it is recorded
that Henry O'Neale of the Province of Ulster in Ireland, tempo
Elizabeth Reg. married the daughter of a Scottish Chieftain.
His son was John Neal of Bolton in Craven, County York;
whose grandson George was a physician of London, Master of
Magdalen College, Oxford in 1741, Doctor of Medicine 1001 and
was buried at Leeds in 1091. He married "Elizabeth, daughter of
Francis Jackson, Alderman of Leeds. His son John M. of Dor-
caster is supposed to be the father of Captain James Neale.
There were clergymen galore among the Neales. Robert Neale
in 17:37 was a Prebendary of Wedmore, appointed in 1787, died
1739.

A granite boulder has been erected by the Daughters of the
Revolution, at Parkersburg, West Virginia, to the memory of
Captain James Neale, American ancestor of the Neales of Mary-
land. He was born in Drury Lane, London, England, in 1615
and came over in 1642. From 1043 to 1005 he was a member of
the council working with great zeal in the interest of the colony,
and died in 1098. His son Anthony married Elizabeth, only child
of William and Emma Rosewell of St. Winifred's freehold, St.
Mary's County, Maryland. Their son, Rosewell Neale, married
first Mary Brent and secondly Elizabeth Blakistone. The daugh-
ter Mary by the second wife married Benjamin Wheeler, of
Prince George County, Maryland, who moved in 1715 to the
section afterwards embraced in Harford County. The W T heeler
homesteads were about five miles north of Belair, and the fami-
lies w^ere prominent in the organization of Harford County
(1784). The father of Benjamin was Thomas and his grand-
father Benjamin. He died in 1741 leaving sons: Thomas and
Benjamin.

The Reverend Michael Francis Wheeler and his sister
Frances Helen were children of Benjamin Wheeler, who died in
1802 and was buried in the cemetery of St. Ignatius a few miles
distant from Belair, where a monument marks this place of sepul-
ture. Having lost both parents while still young, the children
were taken to Baltimore. Frances Helen was the first pupil of
Mother Seton at the Emittsburg Convent and the first graduate
of the school, and John Gibson Grindall, the father of Dr. C. S.



Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 48)