Albert B Osborne.

Makers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) online

. (page 5 of 48)
Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 5 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


M. Camp in the ninth generation.

Ann Marshall, wife of Ambrose Camp, was a member of the
family to which the eminent Chief Justice Marshall belonged.



LUNSFORD RICHARDSON

A THOUGH the name Richard meaning "rich-hearted, power-
ful, 7 ' was "in the Norman ducal genealogy before William
cnine over the water, still it was reserved for the Ange-
vine monarch, as he had made it the terror of the Paynim,
so to make it the pride of the English heart." Because Coeur de
Lion was the idol of his people, the popularity of his name became
very great and many of his loyal subjects thought to do them-
selves honor by bestowing it upon their sons. Many of the name-
sakes of this illustrious monarch had sons who became known as
sons of Richard, and thus gradually, as surnames began to be
used, was evolved the present form, Richardson. It is interesting
to note some early forms, as showing evolutionary steps in its
development. In the Elizabethan Calendar of Pleadings, is re-
corded the name John Richardsonne, in the Valor Ecclesiasticus,
is Thomas Rycherdeson and in the Hundred Rolls, mention is
made of Roger fil Richard.

There Avere Richardson families in manv English counties

/ CJ

about the beginning of the sixteenth century, and the name spread
throughout all England, and into Scotland, Wales, and Ireland.
To the Richardsons of Gloucester, arms were granted in 1588,
to those of Durham in 1615, and to those of Warwick in 1647.
In the year 1603, William Richardson of Worcester was knighted
by King James. In 1619, at W T elbeck, Sir Edward Richardson,
Speaker, figures prominently and Sir Thomas Richardson of Nor-
folk, received his spurs of gold in 1626, at Whitehall. Sir James,
member of a Scotch family of Richardsons, of Synton, was
knighted at Perth by King James II in 1651.

As early as the year 1623, at least one Richardson, William,
was living in the colony of Virginia near the James River. In
January of the following year, a William Richardson was known
to have lived on "Mulburie Island," Virginia. He came over from
England in the Ship "Edwine."

Among other early immigrants was George Richardson, aged
thirty, who embarked from England, April 1633, by way of the
port of London, for New England, in the "Suzan and Ellin." In
June of the same year, there came in the "America" to Virginia,
Symon Richardson, aged twenty-three. In July, John Richard-
son, aged twenty-two, came in the "Paule;" another John, aged
eighteen, in the "Assurance ;" Luke, aged seventeen, in the "Prim-
rose" and Thomas, aged twenty-six, in the "Transport." The

[58]



LUNSFORD RICHARDSON 61

month of August brought Leonard Richardson, a forty-three year
old man, in the "George/' while Henry Richardson, just twenty-
one, came in October of the same year on board the "Constance."
Among the early landed proprietors of Virginia, was Ellis
Richardson, who, in the year 1642, received grant of one hundred
fifty acres in York County. Nineteen years later, Isaac Rich-
ardson received three hundred acres in Gloucester County. To
William Richardson, of Isle of Wight County, was granted in
1664 a tract of seven hundred acres. Two thousand acres were
comprised in the estate obtained by Robert Richardson in Acco-
mac County in 1666. Records show that to Robert Richardson,
in the same county and same year was granted a tract of five
hundred acres, and to William Richardson, in conjunction with
Thomas Adkinson, two hundred thirty acres were granted in
Isle of Wight. In the year 1722, a grant of five hundred acres
was made to William Richardson in Isle of Wight County, who,
perhaps, was a descendant of the William who received a grant
in 1666. In the same year (1722), there resided in St. George's
Parish, Spotsylvania County, William Richardson, planter, who
had conveved to him a tract of four hundred acres of land. In

b

the year 1742, an Act was passed for the creating of a town at
Bray's Church in King George County, and Clapham Richardson
was to receive certain lots of land in the new town. In Septem-
ber, 1758, both Joseph and Daniel Richardson of Bedford County,
were Sergeants in the Militia. Several other Richardsons of Bed-
ford also gave military service at about this time, John, Joshua,
Johathan, and Nathan. In the year 1759, to Benjamin Richard-
son of Sussex was granted a tract of one hundred thirty-eight
acres; and the following year, Amos Richardson of Halifax
County received a grant of one hundred fifty acres.

The tradition in that branch of the family, to which Doctor
Lunsford Richardson belongs, is that there were three Richard-
son brothers who came to America from England in colonial
days, and that one of them settled in Virginia, acquired property
and founded a family. William, one of this family, great-grand-
father of Doctor Richardson, moved to North Carolina some time
between 1765 and 1770, and settled in Nash, or Johnston County.
It was in the latter county that Joseph, son of William and
Mildred, his wife, was born January 19, 1774. William was prob-
ably a Revolutionary soldier, as records show that William Rich-
ardson of North Carolina served in Carter's company, 1781-1782,
and that another William Richardson entered Hadley's company
August, 1782. About 1790, William Richardson was living in
Johnston County, the head of a household. Other Richardsons,
heads of families, in the same district and county at that time
were Applewhite and John. William, father of Joseph, died
February 1, 1814, and Mildred, his mother, died March 18, 1822.



62 LUNSFORD RICHARDSON

Joseph married, in 1798, a young widow, Mrs. Martha Cobb
Hackney, who belonged to a family of prominence in Wayne
County, North Carolina.

It is possible to trace in detail and for several generations
one branch of the Cobb (Cobbs) family which was first repre-
sented in Virginia by Ambrose Cobbs, who on July 25, 1639, ob-
tained three hundred fifty acres of land lying on the Appomat-
tox, and whose family consisted of wife, Anne, daughter, Marga-
ret, and sons Robert, Ambrose, and Thomas, the last of whom
died in 1702, leaving no descendants.

Robert was born in 1627, and lived in Marston Parish, York,
of which he was "church warden" in 1658. After Bacon's Rebel-
lion, he was made Justice of York County, and later became
Sheriff of the same county, where he died on December 29, 1682.
He was survived by his wife, Elizabeth, sons, Edmund, Ambrose,
Otho, and Robert. The marriage and descendants of Robert have
not been traced. It is known, however, that about 1721, "Robert
Cobbs the younger" was a vestryman of Bruton. Elizabeth, the
wife of Robert, son of Ambrose, died in 1684.

Ambrose, son of Ambrose and brother of Robert, died prob-
ably before 1688, leaving sons, William, and Robert. York County
records of 1688 note the marriage of George Glasscock and Mary,
"widow of Ambrose Cobbs," mentioned also as being the mother
of William Cobbs.

Ambrose, son of Robert, son of Ambrose, was church warden
of Bruton, and in 1710 is mentioned as one of the vestrymen. He

married Elizabeth . His will, dated April 24, 1718,

proved June 16, 1718, names his daughter Frances, and his sons,
Robert, Thomas, John, Edmund, and Ambrose.

William Cobbs 3 , (Ambrose 2 , Ambrose 1 ) married Mary, whose
last name is believed to have been Timson, and they had issue:
Samuel (probably), first a resident of York County and later of
Amelia County. He married Edith, daughter of Jean Marot, a
Huguenot, and they had issue: John Catlin Cobbs, Samuel, and
five daughters. It seems probable that either Edmund Cobbs, or
Ambrose Cobbs, sons of Ambrose Cobbs, was the father of Samuel,
Edmund and John of Louisa County. Samuel Cobbs of Louisa
County in his will, dated September, 1758, names children, Jane,
Robert and Judith, and brothers Edmund, and John.

Robert 4 , (Ambrose 3 , Robert 2 , Ambrose 1 ), married probably
the daughter of Abraham Vinckler, of James City County, and
his will, proved in York County in 1727, divides his estate among
"all his children," and names his sons, Vinckler and John, as
executors.

Thomas 4 , (Ambrose 3 , Robert 2 , Ambrose 1 ), married Mary
Shields, named in the will of her father, James Shields, of Wil-
liamsburg, who made his will in 1736, which will probated in



LUNSFORD RICHARDSON 63

York County, September 1750, named Ambrose, Thomas and
Matthew Cobbs. In the year 1752, a tract of eleven hundred
ten acres in Chesterfield County was divided among Ambrose,
Thomas and Matthew Cobbs.

A chancery suit, brought in York County about 1764, shows
that Robert Cobbs, whose will was dated December 1725, mar-
ried, first, Kebecca, daughter of William Pinketham. Rebecca
died in 1715, leaving two daughters, Elizabeth, and Rebecca.
Elizabeth Cobbs, born in 1704, married in 1719, James Shields
of York Countv. Robert Cobbs took for his second wife. Eliza-

t/

beth, daughter of Donald Allen, and had issue: Sarah, who mar-
ried Robert Jones, George, and Martha, who married Dudley
Richardson.

During the eighteenth century, there are numerous references
to Cobb or Cobbs families in North Carolina. Captain Jesse
Cobb, of Dobbs County, was a member of the Assembly in 1777.
Robert Cobbs, of Cumberland County, was in 1776, a member of
the Provincial Congress and held other important offices. Wil-
liam Cobb served in the Revolution, as Lieutenant. William
Cobb, perhaps the same, received one hundred eighty-six pounds,
twelve shillings, and eight pence for services. Nathaniel Cobb,
enlisted in Blount's Company, 10th regiment, in 1778, for a period
of three years.

i/

The Cobbs were represented in Wayne County in pre-Revo-
lutionary days by two brothers, James and Nathan. Nathan was
probably the father of Martha Cobb Hackney. Her brother,
Stephen, was a prominent and wealthy man of Wayne County.

During the decade after the Revolution, the Cobb family in
Wayne County included as heads of families, James, Stephen and
Nathan. There were two women, heads of families, namely,
Bridget Cobb and Patience Cobb.

In North Carolina at the present day, descendants of the
branch, of which Martha Cobb was a member, are found in Wavne

t-

and Lenoir Counties, but some of the Cobb family, near the be-
ginning of the nineteenth century, sold their North Carolina
possessions and removed to Georgia.

Joseph Richardson, who was born in 1774, and married Mrs.
Martha Cobb Hackney in 1798, was a planter in Johnston County,
where he owned four large plantations, located about twenty-five
miles east of Raleigh. His home was commodious and comfort-
able, and he was of amiable disposition and courtly manners,
beloved and esteemed by all who knew him.

The children of Joseph and Martha Cobb Hackney Richard-
son, were: Clement, born 1799; Pharaoh, born 1802; Millicent,
born 1804; and Lunsford, born April 26, 1808. On October 4,
1835, Martha died and her husband died November 3, 1840. Their
son, Clement, died unmarried in 1822. Pharaoh, married Mary



64 LUNSFORD RICHARDSON

Vinson, and had three sons, who grew to manhood, one of whom,
Milton Richardson, a lawyer, married, and for a time resided in
Clinton, North Carolina. Pharaoh Richardson died October 29,
1870.

Millicent, the only daughter of Joseph and Martha, while in
her twentj^-first year, in 1824, married Thomas Hadley of Wayne
County, originally of Edgecombe, and went to live in the old Cobb
home on Contentnea Creek, which Mr. Hadley had purchased the
year before. Their children were: Margaret, Mary M., Martha
A., Sarah J., Joseph Richardson, Thomas J., Harriet Amelia C.,
John Clement R.

Margaret Hadley, born February 19, 1825, married Captain
Albert Upchurch, and died without issue. Mary M. Hadley, born
February 17, 1827, married Doctor Stephen Woodard and went to
reside in Wilson County. Their children were, Frances; Fred-
erick; Mary Virginia; Margaret; Francis; Sidney A. and Eliza-
beth, all of whom married and had children, Elizabeth Woodard
being now Mrs. Roger A. Smith, of Goldsboro, North Carolina.
Martha A. Hadley, born November 22, 1829, married Wiley D.
Rountree of Wilson, North Carolina, and had issue, Albert L.,
born April 16, 1852; Rosa, born November 12, 1854; Lily, born
April 28, 1860; Robert L. Rountree, died in 1865. Albert L.
Rountree married Alice V. Rountree, October 21, 1874, and had
issue: George and Albert, twins, born July 1875, died young;
Cynthia and Alice Virginia, twins, born and died in 1880 ; Robert
and Wiley, born March, 1881, twins, and Louis D. Rountree, born
August, 1884.

The twins, Robert and Wiley, are married and live in Phoenix,
Arizona, and Louis D. Rountree is married and lives in Brook-
lyn, New York.

Lily Rountree married Thomas Russell Cooke, February 12,
1889, died June 4, 1899, and had issue: Wj'lie Rountree Cooke
and Martha L. Cooke of Norfolk, Virginia.

Sarah J. Hadley, born October 11, 1834, married Samuel
Move, and had daughters Caroline and Ella, the latter of whom
married Willis Saunders, and is survived by Moye Saunders,
married and living in Mobile, Alabama, and Thomas Hadley
Saunders, married and residing in Tarboro, North Carolina.

Joseph Richardson Hadlev was born in 1831 and died in
1840.

Captain Thomas J. Hadley, born in 1839, married Sarah
Sounders of Johnston County, and had issue: Martitia, Sarah,
Lucien, Mary and Thomas J. Hadley, Jr.

John Clement R. Hadley, married Mary Moore and had two
daughters, Bessie and Margaret.

Lunsforcl Richardson, youngest child of Joseph and Martha
Cobb Hackney Richardson, was educated at the University of



LUNSPORD RICHARDSON 65

Virginia, and after the completion of his college course, returned
to the work of managing the large plantations inherited from his
father. He continued to reside at the old homestead, and mar-
ried Laurinda Vinson, a sister of his brother Pharaoh's wife.
The parents of the Vinson sisters were James and Ruth (Smith)
Vinson. Between 1848 and 1856, Mr. Richardson was several
times elected a member of the State Legislature. He was
drowned in 1856.

The children born to Lunsford and Laurinda (Vinson)
Richardson were six in number. The eldest, Joseph, died of
pneumonia when five years of age. The others were: Martha
Ann Ruth, William, Clement, Rozetta and Lunsford. Although
William and Clement were mere striplings when the War between
the States broke out, they left their studies in the University of
North Carolina in 1862 to join the Confederate Army. William
became a member of Company "C," Fifth North Carolinan Regi-
ment of Lee's army, in which he rose to the rank of Lieutenant.
As Clement was only fifteen years of age when he sought admis-
sion to the Army, he was placed in the Junior Reserves. After
the War both brothers cultivated their farms, and William later
served as State Senator.

Lunsford, the youngest of the family is Doctor Richardson
of this sketch. He was born in Johnston County, December 29,
1853. His early instruction was received from neighborhood
teachers, and he was thus prepared to enter Homer Preparatory
School, at Oxford, North Carolina, in September, 1868. In May,
1872, he graduated with honor from the Horner Preparatory
School, and in the following September, matriculated in David-
son College, near the city of Charlotte. Having been well pre-
pared for a collegiate course, he enrolled as a Sophomore and
pursued the regular classical course of studies, receiving his
degree at the college commencement in 1875. For the three years
immediately following his graduation he taught school, holding
the position of Principal of the Little River Academy, near Fay-
etteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina. He gave up
teaching to manage a farm, and after about a year of this work
he entered on the study of pharmacy, and in September, 1880,
opened a drug store at Selma, North Carolina.

In the month of August, 1884, Doctor Richardson married
Miss Mary Lynn Smith, whose father was Doctor Jacob Henry
Smith, a Presbyterian minister of Greensboro, North Carolina.
Her mother was Mary Kelly Watson, daughter of Judge Watson,
of Charlottesville, Virginia. Mary Lynn Smith had two brothers
who won distinction. One of them, Doctor Henry Louis Smith,
became the President of Davidson College, and later of Washing-
ton and Lee ; the other, Doctor C. Alphonso Smith, was professor
of English in the University of North Carolina, and later occu-
pied the same chair in the University of Virginia.



66 LUNSFORD RICHARDSON

In January, 1891, Doctor Richardson removed to Greensboro,
where he continued in the drug business under the firm name of
Richardson and Fariss. In 1898, he organized the L. Richardson
Drug Company, wholesale, which business, however, he sold about
seven years later, and began the manufacture of proprietary
remedies. For a time he conducted this work alone, but later
admitted his two sons, H. Smith Richardson, and Lunsford
Richardson ; , to partnership in the Vick Chemical Company, of
which he is owner.

Doctor Richardson has been, since his youth, a Presbyterian,
and for manv vears has been a member of the First Presbyterian

* * */

Church of Greensboro. He was elected elder in 1893, and holds
the honorable office of Presbyter to the various courts of his
church. For over forty years he has taught faithfully and regu-
larly in the Sunday-school, and for four years served as its Super-
intendent.

Although he has always been a loyal Democrat, he has never
held nor sought political or civic office. He is a member of the
Chamber of Commerce of Greensboro, belongs to the Country
Club, and also holds membership in the Law and Order League
of the City of Greensboro.

His family consists of five children, two sons, and three
daughters, all of whom have been educated at the leading colleges
of the State. His eldest son, H. Smith Richardson, married Miss
Grace Stuart Jones, daughter of Mr. E. K. Jones, of Danville,
Virginia. The eldest daughter, Laurinda, married Doctor C. I.
Carlson of Greensboro. The younger son, Lunsford, is unmarried,
as are also the younger daughters, May Norris Richardson, and
Janet Lynn Richardson. Janet, the youngest, has recently grad-
uated from Fairmont Seminary, City of Washington.

As stated before, Doctor Richardson's mother was Miss Lau-
rinda Vinson, the daughter of James Vinson. The surname of
the Vinson family is variously spelled Vinson, Vinsin and
Vincent, and it seems probable that the last mentioned form is
the original one. The word "Vincent" in Norman French is de-
rived from "St. Vincent" and is the name of a locality near
Xormandy. The name is found to have been in London as early
as 1618.

On July 27, 1635, there embarked from the port of London
to "Virginea," in the ship "Primrose," certain emigrants, among
whom was Thomas Vinson, aged eighteen, who was the only one
of his surname in the recorded lists. During the next century

^j u

and a half, however, the Vinsons greatly increased in number,
and in Revolutionary days, several families of the name were
found in North Carolina. One Benjamin Vinson served in the
Revolution, and for such services, received, at the city of Warren-
ton, a sum amounting to more than twenty-eight pounds sterling.



LUNSFORD RICHARDSON 67

A Moses Vinson received at about the same time, over forty-one
pounds sterling for his services, and Patrick Vinson received
ninety-seven. The names of Drury Vinson and Peter Vinson are
also recorded. There is mention of a William Vinson (or two
of them) as belonging to the militia in Granville County in 1754.
The name of William Vinson as a juror is of record, and one
James Vinson, whose name is also written Vincent, was a claim-
ant in a case. By 1790, there were upwards of a score of Vinson
families or independent individuals of that name residing in
North Carolina. Except for Daniel Vinson's family, residing in
Morgan District, Wilkes County, all of these Vinsons were in
Halifax District, Halifax County; Halifax District, Northamp-
ton County; and Hillsboro District, Wake County. In the first
named District, lived Benjamin, Charles, David and John. In
Halifax District, Northampton County, lived Henry, James,
Abner, another James and James, Jr. In Hillsboro District,
Wake County, were William, Hozias, Joseph, Keuben and Samuel.
So it is seen that through his maternal, as well as his
paternal line, Doctor Lunsford Kichardson is connected with
those sturdy pioneers w r ho laid the foundation of our national
greatness and with those who gave valiant service to preserve the
nation their fathers had founded. By his own expressed opinion,
that the best interests of the State and Nation may be promoted
by the practice of individual righteousness and by Christian edu-
cation, he shows himself the worthy descendant of his honorable
and honored ancestors.



ROGER MOORE

OF the many distinguished colonial families which made
the Carolinas famous in the early days, the Moore family
stands pre-eminent for devoted and conspicuous public
service. From these celebrated forbears, their descend-
ants have inherited a legacy of intelligence, courage, industry
and resourcefulness. Among the late representatives of this fine
old family was Colonel Roger Moore of Wilmington, North Caro-
lina, head of the widely known manufacturing firm of Roger
Moore, Sons and Company.

The name of Roger Moore appears in English records as
early as the time of Henry VI. This Roger was a person of con-
siderable note living in County Berks, England. Just when some
of his descendants removed to Ireland is not made clear, but
there is evidence that the family of Moore or O'Moore, chieftains
of the territory of Leix, now a part of County Kildare and County
Queens, Ireland, was of this Anglo-Norman stock. The armorial
bearings, as well as the motto, are identical with that of the
English family, and in those early times when coat armor was
used for the purpose of identifying warriors, the heralds insisted
upon hereditary evidence before the use of the arms was per-
mitted.

The O'Moores were leaders of that proud and spirited class
which so vigorously opposed the English government of Ireland,
and their valorous deeds made them central figures in many
engagements. The clan was nearly annihilated at Mullghmast
in a general onslaught by English troops.

A century later, when Ireland was weakened by defeat and
confiscation and guarded with a jealous care, the courage and
resources of Roger O'Moore, Lord of Leix, gave strength to the
formidable Irish Insurrection of 1641, and this rebellion was
ostensibly the cause of the Cromwellian settlement in Ireland.
History contains no instance of the influence of an individual
mind greater than that of Colonel Roger O'Moore.

Thomas Leland in his History of Ireland says : "Roger
Moore was the head of a once powerful Irish family of Leinster.
His ancestors, in the reign of Mary, had been expelled from their
princely possessions by violence and fraud and their sept har-
assed and almost exterminated by military execution. Their
survivors were distinguished by an hereditary hatred of the Eng-
lish, which O'Moore of Queen Elizabeth's reign expressed by the

[68]



ROGER MOORE 71

violence and obstinacy of his hostility. The resentment of Roger
was equally determined, irritated as he was by the sufferings of
his ancestors, his own indigence and depression, and the morti-
fying view of what he called his rightful inheritance possessed
by strangers rioting on the spoils of his family. But his conduct
was cautious and deliberate; for he had judgment, penetration
and a refinement of manner unknown to his predecessor. He was
allied by intermarriages to several of the old English families
and lived in intimacy with the most civilized and noblest of their
race. Some part of his youth had been spent on the Continent,
where his manners were still further polished and his hatred of
the English power confirmed by an intercourse with his exiled
countrymen. He attached himself particularly to the son of
the rebel Earl of Tyrone, who had obtained a regiment in Spain
and who was caressed at the Court. It was natural for such
companions to dwell on the calamities of their fathers, their
brave efforts in the cause of their countrymen, and the hopes of
still reviving the ancient splendor of their families. With such
men in such a place an aversion to that power which had sub-
verted all the old establishments in Ireland, was heroic patriot-
ism. The spirit of Moore was on fire. He vowed to make one
brave effort for the restoration of his brethren, was applauded by
his associate, and returned to Ireland totally engrossed by the



Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 5 of 48)