Albert B Osborne.

Makers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) online

. (page 7 of 48)
Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tional Bank of Morganton, and is also a Director of the First
National Bank at Hickory, North Carolina. He is also President
of the Drexel Furniture Company, of the Valdese Manufacturing



84 ANDREW MILTON KISTLER

Company, and of the Bee Tree Lumber Company; all important
industries in the State of North Carolina.

Mr. Kistler is a member and a deacon of the Presbyterian
Church. He has attained high rank in Masonic circles, including
Dalhousie Blue Lodge, Newton Eoyal Arch Chapter, Gethsemane
Coniniandery of Newtonville, Massachusetts, and Oasis Temple
of Shriners, Charlotte, North Carolina.

Adhering to the principles of the Republican party in mat-
ters affecting the welfare of the nation, Mr. Kistler is non-
partisan in local politics, casting his vote for the candidate whom
he regards as best qualified for the office.

April 19, 1897, he married at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Miss
Ernestine Huebener, born May 1, 1869, daughter of Rev. Lewis
and Louisa Huebener. They have two sons, Charles Edmund and
John Frederick Kistler, now in student life. Mary, the only
surviving sister of Andrew M. Kistler, was graduated from the
Moravian Seminary, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in June, 1885, and
later attended the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston.
She was married in February, 1895, to Doctor John H. Lesh, of
Boston, Massachusetts, and now resides in Newton Center, Massa-
chusetts.

The Kistler family furnished at least two officers to the
Union Army in the great "War between the States." One of
these, Michael M. Kistler, son of Michael and Magdelina (Brobst)
Kistler. He was born on the old homestead in 1833 and married
Miss Catherine Rumbel. He was managing a small tannery of
his own at Ringtown when the Civil War broke out. He was
appointed Second Lieutenant of a company formed there, went
to the front, and while at Fredericksburg was promoted for meri-
torious service to the rank of First Lieutenant. The other was
Amandus C. Kistler. who was an officer from Pennsvlvania in the

/ f

Civil War, and was retired as Captain in the Regular Army in
1870.

The surname of Kistler is of German origin, and in ancient
documents is spelled Khistler. It is derived from an occupation
and the original meaning seems to have been box-maker or
maker of chests. The name is found very often in the cantons
on the Swiss-German border, where the prevalent tongue is a
difficult Alemannic dialect.



JOHN THOMAS LUPTON

BORN in 1862, at Cloverdale Farm, near Winchester, Fred-
erick County, Virginia, John Thomas Lupton is a
descendant of the Joseph Lupton, who came from England
to America and settled first in Pennsylvania. About 1740
he and a brother went to the Valley of Virginia, and erected a log
cabin two miles west of Winchester. They returned to Pennsyl-
vania and the next year Joseph went back to Virginia taking his
family, a wife and eight children. From this Joseph sprang all
the Virginia Luptons, and they are numerous, though to trace the
individual families is a difficult task. Broadly speaking they
have been divided into the Round Hill branch, the Presbyterian
Luptons, and the Applepie Ridge branch, known as the Quaker
Luptons. Mr. Lupton's father was Jonah J. Lupton. The name
Jonah appears in both lines, but the fact that his father's people
were Quakers seems to indicate that he comes from the Applepie
Ridge branch. They were large land owners and unmistakably
Quakers. This fact makes it evident, too, that they came origi-
nally from the North of England, rather than from the Luptons
of the "Thame" near Oxford.

It is probable that the Society of Friends was introduced
into the town of Kendal, Westmoreland, England, about 1645.
When the old meeting house belonging to this society was taken
down for the erection of a new one, the date 1688 was discovered
on the old doors.

In the list of the inhabitants (freemen) of Kirkbie Kendall,
is found Richard Lupton, 1670, among "the feltmakers and
haberdashers" and, as there is a distinct Quaker branch of the
family in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, it is highly prob-
able that the Richard Lupton of Kendall neighborhood was the
ancestor of Mr. Lupton of this sketch, or at least a member of
the same family. Kendal, the largest town in Cumberland, Eng-
land, became the seat of a very powerful barony soon after the
Norman Conquest, though it was a place of some importance
even during the Saxon era. As early as 1336 John Kemp of
Flanders introduced the manufacture of woollens into Kendal.
The buckram green druggets made there were for several centu-
ries the principal material used for clothing by the poor of Lon-
don and other cities. This explains the expression of Falstaff in
"King Henry IV," "Three misbegotten Knaves in Kendal green
came at my back, and let drive at me." This Kendal green was

[87J



88 JOHN THOMAS LUPTON

the uniform of Kobin Hood's followers : "All Nuwoods are full of
outlaws, that in Kendal green, followed the outlawed Earl of
Huntington."

After the settlement of America the greater part of the Kendal
products were sold to the colonists, especially in Virginia, until
the time of the Revolutionary War.

Connected with this old town have been some people of
prominence. Katherine Parr, last wife of Henry VIII, was born
at Kendal Castle in 1515. Ephraim Chambers, author of the
first encyclopedia, was born at Milton, near Heversham, West-
moreland, and educated partly at the Kendal Grammar School.
It was at Kendal that the famous painter, Konmey, was placed
as an apprentice, where his genius developed and where he was
married. Here was born John Gough, "The Blind Philosopher"
whom Wordsworth has pictured in the "Excursion," "the frame
of the whole countenance alive with thought,' 7 and of w T hom Cole-
ridge wrote : "Why, his face sees all over."

That the Luptons were living near this borderland of York
and Cumberland is evidenced by the fact that there was a town-
ship of Lupton in the olden days, and that there are records of
the family in this vicinity in modern days.

The parish of Kirby Lonsdale is bounded on the East by
Yorkshire, on the South by Lancashire and the parish of Burton,
on the Xorth by the parish of Kendal and that of Sedbergh in
Yorkshire. The town of Kirby Lonsdale is twelve miles from
Kendal. Records in the church there show that Richard Lupton
died August, 1873, aged fifty-nine years, and Agnes Lupton died in
1865; while at Ortm, James Lupton died in 1875, aged eighty,
and Jane, his wife, died in 1874, aged fifty-nine.

The township of Lupton extends from two and a half to four
miles west, north of Kirby Lonsdale. In Domesday the manor
is called Lupetun, and was part of the property of Torsin at the
time of the Conqueror's Survey. It was subsequently held under
the Barons of the Redmans and under the Redmans by the Har-
ringtons. The Redmans were anciently a family of considerable
importance in Westmoreland. Their estates were sold in the
latter part of the fifteenth century to the Bellinghams of Burns-
head; later the parish was in the possession of Sir Richard
Hutton and, in 1681, of Sir Christopher Musgrave, of Edenhall,
Cumberland.

In the annals of England several Luptons have made their
mark. The first who was conspicuous, Roger Lupton, was Pro-
vost of Eton College, and founder of Sedbergh School, York-
shire. He died about 1540. Sedbergh is just across the county
border from Westmoreland and is only a few miles from Lupton
and Kendal. No doubt Roger Lupton and Richard Lupton, who
died in 1873 were of kin, though the exact relationship cannot be



JOHN THOMAS LUPTON 89

determined. It has been conjectured that Koger was the son of
a Thomas Lupton who was slain at Shiphany in 1477. As another
Thomas Lupton had been killed near Sedbergh at the Feast of
St. Peter ad Vincula about 1470, it has been suggested that some
local or family feud was then raging among the dalesmen.

Thomas Lupton, a miscellaneous writer, flourished about 1583.
Another Lupton, William (1676-1726), was a scholar and a
clergyman of the Established Church, and notable for his cham-
pionship of the doctrine of eternal punishment. Then there was
Donald Lupton, miscellaneous writer, who served during the
early part of his life as Chaplain of the English forces in the
low countries and Germany. He was finally appointed vicar of
Lunbury, Middlesex, and died April, 1676. Thomas Goff Lupton
(1791-1873) was a well-known engraver to whom is mainly due
the introduction of steel for mezzotint engraving. In America,
Nathaniel Thomas Lupton distinguished himself in the scientific
world. He was born near Winchester, Virginia, in 1830, and,
after graduation from Dickinson College, specialized in chemistry
at Heidelberg under Bunsen, and became quite prominent in
scientific circles in America. He was the fifth President of the
University of Alabama, and died at Auburn, Alabama, in 1893.

How happened it that a Lupton of the family from West-
moreland, England, years and years after their emigration to
America, should choose for his bride the daughter of a family
distinguished in Westmoreland County, Virginia? Strange
things do happen, and it is a fact that the father of Mr. John
Thomas Lupton, of Chattanooga, Tennessee, did marry Kebecca
Catherine Lee, who was closely related to the famous Lees of
Stratford, Westmoreland County, Virginia. There is no evidence
to show that the Luptons of Virginia had any thought of from
what part of England the family came originally, yet in Virginia
Jonah J. Luptoii, of Frederick County, married Miss Lee, daugh-
ter of John C. Lee, a second cousin of "Light Horse Harry,"
nearly all of whose family were from that part of the State,
named after the northern counties of England.

In the first census reports there were five Lees who were
heads of families in Cumberland, Northumberland and Lancaster
Counties.

Mr. John Thomas Lupton studied first in the graded schools
of Strasburg, Virginia, going thence to Koanoke College and
graduating in 1882 at the head of his class. Besides the class
honors, he was awarded a medal for work in mathematics. He
then took up the study of law at the University of Virginia,
receiving the B. L. degree in 1886. A year later Roanoke College
bestowed upon him the degree of Master of Arts. That same
year he located at Chattanooga and, until 1891, was active as an
attorney.



90 JOHN THOMAS LUPTON

Giving up his law practice because of failing health, he
entered the business world and has since been engaged in manu-
facturing. In 1888 he became Treasurer and Secretary of the
Lookout Mountain Land Company; in 1891 Vice-President and
Treasurer of the Chattanooga Medicine Company, with which
he was identified until 1906. In 1894 he was chosen a Director
and later, Vice-President of the National Bank of Chattanooga,
and holds the same position with the consolidation known as the
First National Bank. He is President, Vice-President and Di-
rector in many other enterprises, among them the Coca Cola
Bottling Company, which controls the bottling of Coca Cola
throughout the South and West. He has done much for the
improvement of the city, having erected the Elizabeth Apart-
ments and the palatial Patten Hotel, as well as other noteworthy
buildings.

Coming of sturdy religious stock, Mr. Lupton is an active
church member. Not only is he a deacon in the First Presby-
terian Church of Chattanooga, but he was on the finance com-
mittee which had to provide a large sum of money needed to
erect the handsome building used by this congregation. The
wideness of his reach in business has already been noted. He is
equally prominent socially, being a member of the Mountain City
and Golf and Country Clubs of Chattanooga, the Phi Gamma
Delta Club of New York City, the University of Virginia Alumni
Club and the N. G. Society. He is a member of the National
Chamber of Commerce, Vice-President of Oglethorpe University,
Trustee of Agnes Scott College and has held various other posi-
tions. A democrat on general political lines he has never held
a political office, but has been content to use his influence as an
upright citizen, taking whichever side he sincerely believes to be
the right one in public questions, without contesting for political
preferment.

Mr. Lupton married on November 14, 1889, at Chattanooga,
Tennessee, Miss Elizabeth Olive Patten, born in that city August
26, 1871, and has one son, Thomas Cartter Lupton, born April 4,
1899. Mrs. Lupton is the daughter of Zeboim Cartter Patten
and his wife nee Mary Kawlings.

The Pattens, both in the old country and the new, have been
distinguished in all walks of life. Of Norman origin they claim
an ancient lineage. The name is on the Koll of Battle Abbey,
proving that they were with the Conqueror at the Battle of Hast-
ings. Geoffry Patin was in Normandy in 1119, while Kichard
was living at Patin in Essex County, England. Surnames were
not firmly established until a century and a half later and
branches of the family for patronymics used the name of thp.ir
estates, as "Wayneflete," or that of some maternal ancestor as
"Barbour."



JOHN THOMAS LUPTON 91

Patin, Patine, Patyn finally Patten comes down for several
hundred years, with personal names Richard and John most
frequently, until Richard of Wayneflete, the father of William,
John and Richard.

William Patten, known as "Waynflete," was by far the most
illustrious of his line, who before and after him have rendered
eminent service to their country. He was a wonderfully gifted,
and a very learned man, Bishop of Winchester, Chancellor of
England under Henry VI, Prelate of the Most Noble Order of
the Garter and founder of Magdalen College, Oxford. His brother
Richard, father of Sir Humphrey Patten, is the progenitor of the
Pattens of America. The latter settled, in the reign of Henry
VIII, at Warrington.

It may be remarked here that lilies figure in the arms of both
the Luptons and the Pattens, for the arms originally borne by
Bishop Waynflete were a a field fusilly ermine and sable." When
he was Provost of Eton College he inserted "three lilies slipped
argent" in his arms, borrowed from the shield of Eton College.
These arms have since been borne by Magdalene College. Wayne-
flete added as his motto the verse of the magnificat, "Fecit mihi
magna qui potens est," to be seen to-day over the door of the
chapel of his college.

Others of the Patten name of whom history has taken note
were Robert Patten, the historian of the Jacobite Rebellion;
Thomas Patten, the divine, and friend of Dr. Johnson, and George
Patten, the painter of portraits and historical subjects. In Eng-
land the last of the direct descendants of Sir Richard Patten
of Waynflete died in 1892. This was John Wilson-Patten, Baron
Winmarleigh, who was born in 1802. His father had in 1800
assumed the additional name of Wilson at the request of Thomas
Wilson, the celebrated Bishop of Sodar and Man, to whose estates
he succeeded. Bishop Wilson had married the great-grand-
daughter of Sir Humphrey Patten. Baron Winmarleigh was
educated at Eton College and had a long career in the House of
Commons.

Nathaniel resided in Somerset and in 1640 chartered the
ship "Charles" of Bristol, and sailed with some companions
westward to America.

Thomas Patten of Somerset, in his will in 1645, mentions his
son, Nathaniel; nephews: Thomas and Robert, and grand-
nephews : John, Thomas and Nathaniel.

In the same year a Nathaniel Patten was at Rochester, and
a Thomas was at Salem in 1643.

The Pattens have made good records both in civil and mili-
tary service. For five generations there has been a George Wash-
ington in each, which, at least, evidences loyalty. Three brothers
in the last century went from New York to Delavan, Illinois,



92 JOHN THOMAS LUPTON

David, George W. and Zeboim. The second named, Major
George Washington Patten, with his sons John Alanson and
Zeboim, became engaged in manufactures in Chattanooga, where
he died in 1906. His brother Zeboim had first opened business
there. Major Patten is the grandfather of Mrs. John Thomas
Lupton.

As already indicated Mr. Lupton is connected with the cele-
brated Lee family, through his mother, Rebecca Catherine Lee,
daughter of John C. Lee, cousin of "Light Horse Harry." Some
of the Virginia records have been so badly kept that the exact
chain of relationship cannot always be established. There is a
possibility that John C. Lee, Mr. Lupton's grandfather may have
been the John Lee, fifth son of Colonel Charles Lee, who was born
in 1744 at Cobb's Hall, Northumberland, whose will mentioned
his wife, his son Charles and "all the rest of my children." This
son, John, went South, married and had issue, but the records are
lost. This Cobb's Hall line comes from the third son of Colonel
Richard Lee. As there are many Lees in Virginia so were there
many in Old England. This name is one of the most ancient.
Launcelot Lee of London, France, was an associate of William
the Conqueror, and distinguished himself at the Battle of Hast-
ings. From this may be seen the Norman origin. He was given
an estate in Sussex. As Earl of Litchfield, Lionel Lee accompa-
nied Coeur de Lion in the Third Crusade and afterwards received
another estate called "Ditchly." This gives title to a branch of
the family in Virginia. The Norman may be the original branch,
but the family became widespread in England, there being
scarcely a county in which their mansions or manors were not
found. The name first appeared in the genealogical table as Lega,
or De Lea, but gradually assumed the present form of Lee. Some
of the authorities differ as to the origin, but most of them agree
that it was from the Lees of Cotton, dating back to 1150, that the
Virginia main branch is descended. In the reign of Charles I,
a Richard Lee came from Shropshire and settled in York County,
Virginia. In 1663, he was granted four thousand acres in West-
moreland County. Here was the beginning of the famous Strat-
ford Hall estate, "scene of history and homestead" on the brow
of the Potomac.

Colonel Richard Lee, who is said to have been the first white
man in the "Northern Neck," was secretary of the Colony of Vir-
ginia. His second son, Richard Henry, was born at Stratford,
and was a man of prominence in his day. He was one of the
delegates to the Continental Congress at Philadelphia in 1774
and prepared the address to the people of America and the second
address to the people of Great Britain. He was the mover in
Congress for the Declaration of Independence. Among other
Lees in the early legislature of the States were Francis Lightfoot



JOHN THOMAS LUPTON 93

Lee and Arthur Lee, brothers of Richard Henry; Richard Bland
Lee, who, as representative in the first Congress from Virginia,
was an effective advocate for the establishment of the Seat of the
National Government on the Potomac River. The three members
of the family best known to people of to-day are Henry, called
"Light-Horse Harry," whose father was a first cousin to Richard
Henry, and who won his soubriquet under General Washington ;
his youngest son, Robert E. Lee, the famous Confederate General,
and General Fitzhugh Lee, grandson of "Light Horse Harry"
and nephew of Robert E. Lee. Distinguished indeed has been the
name of Lee in both American and British history. It was Gen-
eral Henry Lee, who made the famous eulogy of Washington in
the immortal phrase, "First in war, first in peace, first in the
hearts of his countrymen." The Lee family itself has had a large
place in the hearts of Americans and to be connected with it is a
signal honor.

In the history of the "Prebendal Church of the Blessed
Virgin of Thame," by Frederick George Lee, is a copy of the arms
of Lupton from a stained glass at Sedbergh.



JOHN LAURIN McCALL

THE McCall families of Scotland were all supposed to have
descended from the MacAulay Clan of the Highlands.
Their armorial bearings have undergone many changes,
as is the case in all very ancient families, until at this
time the several branches bear different charges, while there still
remains in all enough similarity to prove the identity of their
origin.

The earliest mention found of the MacAulays or McAllas is
in Dumbartonshire, the chieftains having been designated as "de
Ardincapell" which they owned from the time of King Kobert I.
They are classed as a branch of the Clan Gregor and this is
proven from a bond of manrent, or Deed of Clanship, executed
in 1591 between the MacGregor of Glenstrae and the Mac Aulay
of Ardinaple, which asserts that they are of the same original
stock, "the MC Alpine of auld." This would give a Celtic deriva-
tion for the Clan. It is claimed by some that the Me Aulay s were
descended from a younger son of the Earls of Lenox. Some mem-
ber of a later generation came down into the Lowlands and set-
tled in Dumfriesshire, not far from Appin in Argyleshire, from
whence came their American ancestor.

As is generally the case, the name has come down in grada-
tions from Mac Aulay, Mac Alias, Me Caul, Me Aull, Me Aall,
until the changes halted at Me Call which is now generally
adopted, though Mr. Samuel McCall, in the eighteenth century,
spelled his name sometimes McAull and again Me All.

Thomas McCall mentions, in a sketch of the McCall family
published in 1829, that his brother, Hugh McCall, was born
February 17, 1767, in North Carolina, that he died June 10, 1823,
and w r as buried in the Old Colonial Cemetery at Savannah,
Georgia. He also relates that the McCall, Harris and Calhoun
families migrated, sailing in the same ship, first from Dumfries-
shire to Ireland, remaining in that island for two generations,
and the descendants of these same families then came together to
Pennsylvania. A grandfather of Thomas, one James McCall,
married Janet, daughter of James Harris. Again the three fam-
ilies, after a few years, moved into the wilds of Virginia where
they were attacked by Indians. Some of the Calhouns were mur-
dered and the survivors were forced to seek a more civilized part
of the State. These McCalls were, no doubt, a branch of the
Clan, some of whom, notably John McCall, came later, with the

[94]




/













JOHN LAURIN MC CALL 97

colony of McLearin and others, from Appin in Argyleshire, all
descendants of that ancestor who left the Highlands for the
South of Scotland so many years before.

John McCall 1 was born in Appin, Scotland, December 1,
1772, coming to America in 1790 with the Me Laurins and others.
There have been many marriages between the descendants of these
Colonists, including, also, the Betheas who came still later. John
McCall married in 1810 Marv Currie whose home was in Rich-

t>

land County, North Carolina. Of the five sons born to John Mc-
Call, three died in infancy and one died unmarried, so that John
Laurin McCall, whose connections are numerous, is the head of
the family in America.

John Laurin McCall was born May 23, 1812, in "Carolina
Section," now Dillon County, South Carolina. His father being
a farmer, the boy, no doubt, gained health and strength in the
necessary out-of-door work and exercise. He was ambitious and
studious, making the best use of the schools which, at that time,
were somewhat elementary. When a young man, he left his home
on the farm and studied scientific cutting and tailoring at Bish-
opville, South Carolina, at which work he continued for about
five years. It was then, even after he was twenty-five years of
age, that he took up a special course of English under the tutelage
of Mr. Charles Spencer of Sumter County, South Carolina. Sub-
sequently he taught school at Sinclair's Cross Roads. It was
while he was so engaged that he met Nancy, daughter of Mr.
Archibald Sinclair and his wife Katherine, nee McGilvary. He
married April 27, 1842. From 1862 until 1866 he served as Tax
Collector for the County. He was a merchant for some time in
Clio, held the position of Magistrate, and also devoted himself
to farming until a few vears before his death, which occurred on
May 25, 1894.

John Laurin was not affiliated with any Church but was an
honest, upright and estimable citizen, with a high regard for
religion, having views on the subject peculiar to himself. Natur-
ally he was a Democrat and worked with and for that party
which he considered the exponent of the best principles of a Re-
public.

The children of John Laurin McCall are:

1. Charles Spencer McCall who was a merchant at Bennetts-
ville and also the proprietor of several farms. He died unmarried
December 31, 1904.

2. Thomas Dick McCall, a farmer, married, first, Miss Katie



Online LibraryAlbert B OsborneMakers of America; biographies of leading men of thought and action, the men who constitute the bone and sinew of American prosperity and life (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 48)