The old church was anciently valued at Â£13 4s. 7d., and there was
once a chantry chapel here dedicated to the Virgin. The ancient
edifice had not many claims to architectural features, and
was exceedingly plain in its proportions. The interior, owing
to the arrangement of the pews, was very inconvenient
and uncomfortable, and in the aisles at one time was placed
a continuous bench for the Sunday Scholars, which had to be
stepped over by each worshipper who entered the pews. The
church now consists of chancel, with organ chamber, nave,
baptistry, vestries, and a tower containing one bell and a peal of
SALE, ASHTON-OX-MEBSFA', tfvj
13 Harrington tubular bells. In 1884 and 1885, the interior was
refurnished and refitted with open oak benches, the framing of the
old pews being converted into panelling for the chancel ^yalls. In
1887, through the liberality of Su^ William Cunliffe Brooks, Bart.,
the vestries, tower, and handsome lych gate were erected, the
work being carried out from the designs and under the superin-
tendence of Mr. F. H. Oldham, F.R.I.B.A., of Manchester, and
Mr. Truefitt, of London. There is a lengthy list of rectors, curates
LYCH r,.\TE, ARHTO\-ON-I\IERSEY.
and other ministers commencing in A.D. 1305 with Willielmus de
Sala, who was succeeded in 1307 by Kobertus Ashton, rector in
1331, and with whose name is linked that of Thomas de Ashton.
In 1350 Robert Ashton was rector, and he was succeeded in 1362
by Jordan de Hulme. He was succeeded by Johannes de Massey
two years later, and there is also a mention of Matheo de Sale,
clerico, as having been witness to a Congleton charter dated
July 3rd, 1381, although Johannes de Massey is named as rector in
several deeds, notably 1382, 1389, and 1401. In 1409, the names
of Nicholas de Wynbelegh or Wynkylegh and Roger de Kingesley
SALE, ASHTON-OK-MERSF.Y, dr. 24S
appear, followed a year later by Kicardus Twemlowe. Then in
quick succession we have Dns Walto Seymor (1412), Robertus
Lyster (1413), Wms. Bagelegh (1419), H. Downham or Doneham
(1428), Eic Dokedale or Dugdale (1435), Ranulphus de Ashton
(1457), who endowed a charity in the parish church with land in
Sale, on which a barn was built. In April, 1505, John Honford
presented, and in 1522 Hugh Tippinge was rector, and he had a
dispute with Mr. Massey in respect of the tithe of a corn mill at
Ashton-on-Mersey, which was settled by arbitration. In 1567,
John Robinson, clerk, is named in the will of Thomas Vawdrey in
that year, although Ric. Shelmerdyne is returned as rector in
1567. The oldest presentation, now at the Diocesan Registry, for
this parish is that of Thomas Richardson, in 1582, followed by
those of George Tipping, in 1613, and Daniel Baker, M.A., in
1620, whose tragic death on April 1st, 1632, is recorded by
Hollingworth as follows: â€” "Anno 1632, Daniel Baker, M.A., rector
of Assheton on Mercy-bank and fellow of the Colledge, having on
Good Friday (as it is called) administered the Lord's supper, and
being, as it is feared, somewhat over-charged with drinke, in
Salford, was found dead in the morning in the water under Salford
Bridge ; whether he fell downe of himself, being a tall man, and
the battlements then but low, or whether hee was cast doivne and
put over the bridge, it is not certainly known to this day. This
death of his, as also Dr. Buttes, the Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge,
hanging himself on Easter day after and some other ministers and
professors coming that year to an untimely end, as allso the above
mentioned difference between the ministers, seemed to the
Papists .... signal evidences of God's anger and wath,
and presages of the ruine of the Refoniied Religion."
Ralph Stirrup, M.A., was represented in 1632, and it was during
the incumbency of this gentleman â€” so Dr. Israel Renshaw informs
us â€” was begun in 1636, the parish Register containing
Christenings, Weddings, and Burials, within our parish of Ashton
super ripand Mersey, A.D., 1636. Mr. Stirrup died in 1639, and
was succeeded in 1G40 by Richard Hcyricke, B.D., Fellow of
244 SALE, ASHTON-ON-MERSEY, &c.
All Souls' College, Oxford, who was also a warden of Manchester
Parish Church, at a stipend of Â£70. During the period of the
interregnum he complied with the requirements of Parliament,
and was appointed preacher to the town at a stipend of Â£100,
when the office of Warden was abolished. At the Eestoration he
was reappointed warden by Charles II. The next presentation to
the living was by Sir "William Brereton, and the parish Register
states that Mr. Jonnsonnsonne (Mr. Johnson's son) was " chosen
minister of the Word of God at Ashton sup Mersey, the 1st of June,
1642, free selected by all the people of the parish of Ashton, and
not by virtue of any prelate or other absurd usm-pation, and was
possessed by the right worshipful and truly honoured Sir "William
Brereton, patrone of the same, and for hee preached the 1st day
of Jiuie being the fast day, in the year of our Lord one
thousand six hundred and forty two." Although according to
some authorities, Mr. John Ford was ejected for nonconformity
the parish Register records " John Ford, minister of the Gospell
and pastor of Ashton, was buried 16th Oct., 1661." It is difficult
to reconcile this with the fact that Mr. Ford died before he was
ejected. Is it possible thai Calamy, a great authority on this subject,
may have been misinformed ? It may be that the man ejected was
Mr. Ford's son, as he could not have been ejected after his death.
On Nov. 6th, 1661, Henry Hesketh became rector on the
presentation of Sir Thomas Brereton, and in 1663 was succeeded
by Hugh Hobson, who signed a declaration in the parish register
respecting the use of the Book of Common Pi-ayer, and the
unlawfulness of taking up arms against the King. In 1679,
Robert Brown, M.A., chaplain of Manchester College, was
presented by Richard Massey, Esq., of Sale, and in 1706, Thomas
Ellison, who was also rector of Pulford, was ajjpointed. It was
during his incumbency that the church was rebuilt. In 1717, the
Rev. Massey Malyn, LL.D., of Sale, was presented, who is
described on a marble tablet, erected by his sorrowing widow, as
the most excellent rector of this church, who suddenly, though
not immaturely, snatched away, rendered his spirit again to God,
SALE, ASTITOX-ON-MEUSEY, dV. 245
on the Slst day of the month of October, in the year of Scalvation
1729, in the year of his age 42. The Eev. Thomas Whittaker,
M.A., who succeeded him on the presentation of the Bishop, was
rector upwards of 37 years, and died on the 29th June, 1767, in
his 77th year. Tlu-ee curates meantime ministered in the parish,
and in 1767, the Rev. John Green, LL.B., was appointed, during
whose incumbency Mr^. Hannah Smith bequeathed a sum of Â£20,
the interest to be applied to the poor. In 1774, Richard Popple-
well Johnson became rector, and he died in 1835, at the age of
8G years, having had charge of the spiritual concerns of the parish
for the long term of 61 years. In the same year he was succeeded
hj the Rev. Charles Backhouse Sowerby, M.A., who resigned and
was succeeded by the Rev. Joseph Ray, M.A. The present Vicar
is the Rev. Abraham ^lendel Hertzberg, who studied at St.
Aidan's Theological College, and was ordained Deacon in 1888,
and priest 1889. He was curate of Hilgay, Norfolk, 1888, Vicar
of N, Petherton, Somerset, 1890, and rector of Ashton-on-Mersey
(St. Martin's), 1894, of which living he is also patron. The income
is made up of a tithe rent charge of Â£700, averaging Â£519, with
27 acres of glebe, value Â£105 ; fees, Â£20 ; Queen Anne's bounty,
Â£5 ; gross income, Â£649 ; nett, Â£535 and house ; population 3,700.
Sale, until very modern times, does not attract much attention
from a nonconformist point of view. We hear of Ashton-on-
JMersey, and also of Cross Street, and we read that in the then
Frodsham Deanery, in 1662, Mr. Ford, of Ashton-on-Mersey, was
ejected from his living for nonconformity. So it is stated by some
authorities, but it is just possible that the Mr. Ford referred to
was a son of the rector who died in 1661. In 1647, the famous
Adam Martindale, a former Vicar of Eostherne, had been invited
to become the minister, and in 1662, he stated he had been asked
to minister at Ashton, at double the salary his people paid him.
From a list of dissenting chapels and ministers in Cheshire,
compiled between 1715 and 1729, we find that at Cross Street "on
ye fund books, Ashton-on-Mersey," one Michael Fletcher was the
preacher, and that out of a total congregation of 322, which
24G SALE, ASIirOX-OX-MERSEY, cÂ£r.
included five gentlemen, 30 were voters for the County. This is
without doubt the " Presliyterian meeting house,' now merged in
the Sale Unitarian Sunday School, which is referred to by Bishop
Gastrell, in his Notitia Oestriensis, as being "a place to which
great numbers resort, anno 1716." The Rev. Robert Harrop,
whose name appears in the Sale township books, preached at this
chapel for 37 years, and retired "with the undivided respect and
affection of his flock." The old chapel at Sale, the exact age of
which appears to be uncertain, was vacated on the opening of the
chapel in Atkinson Road. Of its late ministers, the late Rev.
J. McConochie is perhaps the best known for his scholarly
attainments and breadth of thought. This chapel was biu-ned
down December 20th, 1896, and damage done to the extent of
It was at Cross Street, too, that independency or Congrega-
tionalism was cradled, to develope into the powerful organization
it has since become. In the year 1800 services were held in a
cottage there, and three years after a chapel was built, which will
be recognized as the Sale Institute, capable of holding about 400
hearers, and in 1805 a church consisting of 12 members. After
many \-icissitudes the chapel was closed for about two months. It
was then that at the request of the Trustees the (late) Rev.
E. Morris, of Stretford, undertook the pastorate, and in October,
1812, a second church, consisting of 11 members, was formed.
The substantial growth which followed, consequent on the rapid
increase of the township, required the erection of another chapel,
which is built on a site in Montague Road, presented by the late
Mr. Samuel Brooks, and opened in 1852. It is in the early
English style, faced with stone. There are Sunday Schools
adjoining and all the equipments for a thriving congregation.
The Rev. E. Morris was succeeded by the Rev. Adam Scott, now
of Southport, the present minister being the Rev. T. Hallett-
Williams. The Ashtpn-on-Mersey Congregational Church is situate
in Cross Street, and contains a stained glass window, designed by
Sir E. Burne Jones to the memory of Mrs. Catherine Johnson.
SALE, ASHTON-ON-IilEBSEV, dr. 249
Wesleyanism, at an early date, liegan to be a power for good, and
Wesley ChajJel, School Eoad, and the handsome Trinity Chapel in
Northenden Road are substantial evidences of the feeling existing.
What may be regarded as off-shoots, although really older than
what may be regarded as the parent churches are Barker's Lane,
Ashton-on-Mersey, the Egeiton Street Mission School, and flourish-
ing branches at Partington and Sinderland. The growth of
Scotch Presbyterianism is shown in the handsome structure in
Northenden Road, erected in 1874, at a cost of Â£9,000, with
manse. The first minister was the Rev. J. Thoburn McGaw,
B.A., D.D., who was succeeded by the Rev. W. A. Sim. St.
Joseph's Catholic Chapel in Hope Road is a neat edifice in the
French gothic style, and for many years past the Rev. Canon
Crawley has laboured with much patience and self denial. The
Primitive Methodist Chapel is situate in Northenden Road. St.
Anne's Church, the first in the township of Sale, was erected on a
site given by the late Samuel Brooks, Esq. It is a building of
stone in the early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four
bays, aisles, north and west porches, and a north west embattled
tower, with pinnacles and octagonal spire. To meet the growing
wants of the congregation it was enlarged in 1864, just ten years
after it was opened, and again in 1887, furnishing sittings for
900 people. The first vicar was the Rev. J. Johnson Cort, M.A.,
late Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The interior is
adorned with a new reredos and communion table, the gift of
John Kendall, Esq., to the memorj' of his wife, and a brass tablet
let in the wall states that " in loving memory of Eliza Jane Kendall,
this sanctuary was beautified and reredos erected, 1893."
The new three manual organ, 40 stops, by Harrison and
Hairison, is considered the finest organ in the parish.
In the Chancel is a marble tablet inserted in wall, to â€”
"The Rev. Jonathan Johnson Cort, M.A., Fellow of St. John's
College, Cambridge, Vicar of Sale. This monument was erected by the
congregation. Born January 26th, 1827 ; died October 10th, 1884."
250 SALE, ASHTON-OX-MEnSFA\ d-c.
Another marble tablet in the Chancel certifies â€”
"In loving memory of George Yardon Ryder. Born 4th Marcli.
180.3; died '22nd June, 1888." "Sarah Starkey. his wife. Born 2nd
March, 1804 ; died 26th March, 1889."
In the Transept is a stained-glass window â€”
"In loving remembrance of the late Thomas Byron HoUinworth.
This memorial is dedicated. Died August 8th, 1867 ; age 34." Subject :
Christ blessing little children, and in Temple.
Another stained-glass window â€”
"In affectionate remembrance of Williami Wilson. This window is
erected by his widow and children. Died April 1st, 1875 ; age 58 years."
Subject : The Epiphanj-.
ass window â€”
" To the memory of William Joynson, of Ashfield. Died December
27th, 1882." Subject : The Transfiguration.
In the aisle is a stained window â€”
" In memory of Mrs. Cort, wife of the late Yicar of Sale. Erected
by members of congregation." Subject : Dorcas, St. Anne and B.V.
Mary, St. Elizabeth."
Marble tablets â€”
" To the memory of Marion, the devoted wife of Charles Samuel
Evans. This tablet was erected by her husband."
To "John Wallace Murray, of Fraserburgh, and afterwards of this
parish, who died at sea, on his way to Melbourne for the benefit of his
health, October 28th, 1868, aged 30 years."
To "Charles Samuel Evans. Born September 27th, 1791; died
September 6th, 1857." A three-light stained-glass window to "Elizabeth
Hayes, died July 4th, 1888, aged 49 years." Subject : Faith, Hope,
Charity. Stained-glass window to "Phcebe Nancy Haj-es, died September
24th, 1882, aged 17 years." Subject : Martha and Mary.
" In loving memory of our dear parents, John Henry Waltham, born
March 29th, 1824, died March 21st, 1893 ; also Elizabeth, his wife, born
May 19th, 1824, died June 10th, 1894, who were for nearly 40 years
members of this congregation."
A large east window was erected by J. J. Occleston in 1S63.
Subject : The Ascension.
The Rev. John Patchett Cort, the present vicar, is the only
son of the Eev. J. C. Cort, the first vicar of the parish. He is a
SALE, ASHTON-ON-MEBSF.Y, dr. 251
graduate of St. John's College, Cambridge, where he took the
degree of B.A. in 1879, in which year he was ordained Deacon,
taking priest's orders in 1880. He was curate of St. Philemon's,
Sheffield, in 1879, and curate of St. Anne's, under his late father
from 1881 to 1884:, when he succeeded him as vicar. He was
made an honorary B.A. of Owen's College, Manchester, in 1882.
The living is in the hands of Trustees. The amount of the income
from the endowment is Â£40 ; rents, Â£350 ; fees, Â£44 ; gross
income, Â£434 ; net, Â£300 ; with a popidation of 5,956.
The Church of St. John the Divine, in Brookland's Road, was
erected in 1867. It is built of freestone in the Gothic style,
consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, north west porch, and a
turret on the western gable containing one bell. There are 500
sittings. In the west end is a memorial window to the memory
of the late John Brooks, Esq., M.P. There is a large Parish room
in Marsland's Road, and a National School on Baguley JMoor
connected with the parish, which is ecclesiastically in the township
of Baguley. The first perpetual curate of St. John's was the Rev.
Thomas Brooke, and was afterwards first vicar.
The Rev. Hugh Bethell Jones, who succeeded the late Rev.
Thomas Brooke, the first vicar, is a graduate of Trinity College,
Dublin, and took his B.A. degree in 1861, and M.A., 1875;
University College, Durham, ad eundum, B.A., L.Th. He was
ordained deacon in 1863, priest in 1867, and B.D. in 1895. His
first curacy was Whalley Range, Manchester, from 1863 to 1867,
when he was appointed Vicar of Christ Church, Appleton-le-Moors,
and from 1870 to 1876 he held the important curacy of St.
Clement's, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, which he vacated on his preferment
to the vicarage of St. John the Divine, Brooklands, or Baguley.
He is the author of " Freces Liturgicce, Lectures on the morning
and evening prayer," (1873), " Some thoughts on the Establishment
of the Church of England," (1880), etc. The patrons of the
living are Sir William Cunlifte Brooks, Bart., and Thomas Brooks,
Esq. The gross income is Â£300, and the population 627.
252 SALE, ASHTON-ON-MEUSEY, &c.
The growth of population on the westerly side of the
Bridgewater Canal, necessitated the formation of a new
ecclesiastical district, and in 1883, the fine church dedicated to
St. Paul was erected. It is iti early English style from designs
of Mr. H. E. Price, of Alanchester, and contains 750 sittings, 250
of which are free. The first vicar was the late Rev. T. A. Livesey,
whose learning and piety are remembered and appreciated by
many of the early worshippers at this church. He died after a
too brief ministry in 1887. Near the church is a Sunday School
and parish room.
The Eev. William Edward Chadwick, the present vicar, is a
scholar and exhibitioner of Jesus College, Cambridge, where he
graduated B.A. (JEgrot. Math. Tripos), and :M.A. in 1881. He
was ordained deacon the same year, and was cm-ate of Holy
Trinity, Coventry, 1881, and took priest's orders in 1882. He
was curate of All Saint's, Bradford, Yorks., from 1884 to 1887
when he was appointed Vicar of St. Paul's, Sale. The living is
in the hands of Trustees ; gross income, Â£450, with house ; and
population of parish, 3,126.
The growing requirements of the parish of Ashton-on-Mersey
rendered necessary the erection of a Chapel-of-ease, which was
dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, and opened in March, 1874.
The site was given by Sir William Cunliffe Brooks, Bart, who
also contributed liberally to the cost of the building â€” about
Â£9,000 â€” raised by subscriptions. The parish was formed in 1894.
The architecture of St. Mary's is of the early decorated period,
and was erected from designs of Messrs. Wilson and Oldham.
The building consists of nave, with north and south transepts.
The pulpit is in Caen stone, with marble steps, and illuminated
texts adorn the walls. The ceiling is of dark wood, moulded and
panelled, and with bosses relieved by black and gold. The tower
and spire are on the south side of the chancel at the junction of
the transept with the nave.
On the division of the ancient parish of Ashton-on-Mersey, in
1894, the Eev. Christie Chetwynd Atkinson, who had held the
SALE, ASHTON-OX-MERSEY, Ar. 255
senior curacy under the Rev. Joseph Ray, a former rector, since
1882, was appointed by the Trustees the first vicar of S. Mary
Magdalene. He is a I\I.A. of Keble College, Oxford, where he
took a fourth class in the Theological School in 1878. He was
ordained Deacon in 1879, and Priest in 1880. He was assistant
master of All Saints' School, Bloxham, and curate of Hempton,
Oxon, 1879 to 1880, assistant master of St. Paul's, Stony
Stratford, 1880 to 1882, when he was appointed to the curacy of
Ashton-on-Mersey. The gross income of the living is returned at
Â£265 per annum, and nett, Â£90, with an estimated population of
3,108. Already schools and a parish room arc liuilt to meet
the increasing educational and social wants of the parish.
If the saying be true that happy is the country, and let us in
the present instance add township, that has no history, then Sale
may be regarded as being exceiitionally favoured in this respect.
There is very little to be said as to the proceedings of its Local
Board from its formation in 1867, which is specially striking, and
it is chiefly remarkable for the business-like way in which its
members set about bring the afl'airs of the to wnship up to date in
the matter of sanitary and general administration. Wm. Joynson,
Esq., J.P., whose venerable appearance and sound good sense
inspired universal respect, was unanimously elected Chairman and
under his able direction the proceedings of the Board were
distinguished by smoothness and harmony. Under the superintend-
ence of Mr. A. G. McBeath, the surveyor and engineer to the
the Board, a complete and efficient system of drainage was laid
down, and the roads of the township greatly extended and
improved. This policy, the Sale Urban District Council, on
succeeding to the inheritance left by the defunct Board, in 189i,
has continued, and in accordance with the requirements of the
Mersey and Irvvell Joint Committee, a scheme for the purification
of the Sale Sewage, has been laid down near Dane Road, where
about two million gallons per day is dealt with in order that a
satisfactory etllueut may be passed into the river Mersey. The
works have been constructed from plans of Air. McBeath.
256 SALE, ASHTON-ON-MEBSEY, dx.
Particulars of the increase of the township will be found in the
apiDcndix, but it should be added that the Free Library and
Technical classes in Tatton Road are in a flourishing condition,
and a School of Art adjoining is now completed.
The total amount borrowed by the Sale Local Board and Sale
Urban District Council up to and including July, 1895, for works
of sewage and public improvements amounted to Â£45,385, of
which at the end of March, 1896, the sum of Â£23,219 9s. 4d. had
been repaid, leaving a balance of Â£22,105 10s. 8d., extending over
a period of 30 years, at the low rate of three and a half to four
and a half per cent, interest. Excluding Bowdon, which has a
remarkably low district rate. Sale compares most favourably with
surroundings authorities, having a comparatively low district rate,
while its death rate, considering the rapidity of increase of
population is next to Bowdon, as low as can be found in any
similar area and number. Li 1895, the township was divided for
electoral purposes into five wards, viz. : North, South,' East, West,
and Central, each with three members.
IFythen?hmve Hall and the Tattonsâ€”Carrington Moss, iviih an account
of Carrington fight, a memorable local eventâ€” Manchester Ship
Canal â€” A Bishop from Carrington â€” Baguley Ball ami the Leghs â€”
Biddings Hall â€” The Gerrards and the Vavdreys â€” Edlesion's
Lepidoptera of the Bollin Falleij ; ornithology, etc. â€” Ashley Hall,
a notable meeting ; a lUtle-hnown tragedy â€” The murder at the
Bleeding JFoIf, etc.
THE name and family of Tatton of Wythenshawe have been
identified with this district for many centuries. Mr.
Earwaker, the historian of East Cheshire, points out that
records relating to Wythenshawe are extant for quite 550 years,
and it is noteworthy as one of the few estates which have been
handed down in the same family from one generation to another
since the middle of the 14th century. In all probability the
descendants of Hamo de Mascy, or Massy, of Dunham, very soon
obtained possession of the land at Wythenshawe, as there was a
branch of the Mascies there about 1275.
Robert de Tatton, of whom mention is first made, owned land
in Northenden in 1297, and his grandson marrying a daughter of
William Mascy, brought Wythenshawe into the Tatton family in
1370. Robert and William seem to have been for generations
favourite family names. There is one Nicholas, who was Baron
of the Exchequer of Chester in 1451, but down to the year 1700
Robert is either succeeded by William, or William by Robert. In
1747, William Tatton, of Wythenshawe, Esquire, married for his
second wife, Hester, eldest daughter of John Egerton, Esquire,
of Tatton Park. She was sister and sole heiress of Samuel
Egerton, Esquire. The result of this marriage was to cause the
Tattons of Wythenshawe to assume, by royal license, the name
and arms of Egerton of Tatton, which was done by William
(Tatton) Egerton, Esq., of Tatton Park and AVythenshawe, who
258 SALE, JSHTOX-nX-MEnSEV, dr.
was M.P. for Cheshire at the time of his death in 1806. By his