Walkup Special School District: Charles Winner, president; Henry Stur-
wold, treasurer; Henry Borchers, clerk; and Anton Hilgefbrt and Joseph
Poeppelman, for 191 1, the same president and treasurer serving in 1912, with
John Holthaus, clerk and Anton Hilgefort and Fred Broermann, members.
Deiter Special School District for 1911-12: Anton Riethmann, president;
Henry Schnitmeyer, treasurer; Stephen Schmitmeter, clerk; and Herman
Berning, Clem. Prenger, Anthony Wolfe and Bernard Knob.
Dirksen Special School District for 191 1 had Bernard Seger for presi-
dent; August Schmiesing for treasurer; Henry Fortman for clerk, with
Bernard Brandewie, Frank Bornhorst and J. Henry Albers as members. The
same body with the addition of Clem. Hoying served in 191 2. Further school
statistics mav be found in the chapter on Education.
372 HISTORY OF SHELBY COUNTY
Students of history can easily recall the annals of Jhe French and Indian
war and of the military maneuvres which made this section, in 1756, a battle
ground and many yet living can remember the tales of their grandfathers of
the building and occupancy of old Fort Loramie, which was situated less
than one mile from the site of the present village of the name formerly known
as Berlin, and later as Loramie, for which the name Fort Loramie has been
recently substituted. This village was surveyed December 2, 1837, and all its
lots are 4 by 8 rods except fractional ones. Its principal streets are Main,
Walnut, Water, Elm and High. It is situated on the Miami and Erie canal.
Not far away flows Loramie creek, the mouth of which is below Lockington,
south of the county line. Many lines of business are successfully carried on
here and the people in general are prosperous.
The following is a list of business enterprises at Fort Loramie:
August Wise, saw-mill; John Bramlage, flour-mill; Loramie Banking
Company, established in 1904, B- J- Wuehker president, J. D. Inderrieden
vice-president, A. F. Ratermann cashier, W. J. Sherman assistant cashier;
Willmann Bros., general merchandise; J. D. Inderrieden, hardware, imple-
ments and lumber ; Barney Krampe, implements, stoves and ranges ; John
Albers and Company, hardware and lumber ; Henry -Tecklenburg, hotel and
livery; W. J. Borchers, general merchandise and livery; C. C. Wagler, brick
manufacturer; Gregor Fleckenstein, tile manufacturer; Bernard Danzig fur-
niture and undertaking; Herman Pleiman, groceries; W. H. Quinlin, drugs;
Clem Daniel, groceries; John H. Romie, saddlery; M. Gregor, meat market;
Herman Gaier, bakery and groceries ; Peter Rieger, shoe store ; J. H. Behrns,
tailoring; Peter Krampe, blacksmithing ; John Seger, carpentering; Carl
Freitag & Son, masonry; Peter Kessler, cider-mill; Albert Anthony, barber;
Peter Kiefer, plastering; Mat Brucken, saloon; Ben Vogelsang, saloon; John
Tecklenburg, saloon; Paul Borger, poultry; Joseph Henke, poultry; Wm. H.
Niederkorn, poultry; Kramer and Dickman, skimming station.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
On November 18, 1837, W. C. Ayres became a justice of the peace in
McLean township and the record from then until 191 1 is as follows:
Isaac Edwards, June 8, 1841, resigned May 25, 1842; Jacob Hauss, June
18, 1842; resigned October 14, 1843; Frances Pilliod, November II, 1845;
Alexander H. Hayes, October 24, 1846; William A. Edwards, January 18,
1850; William A. Edwards, January 22, 1853; Joseph Mendenhall, January,
1856; John Walkup, April 14, 1857, resigned June 2, 1857; Andrew Ginn,
October 21, 1857; J. B. Rottinghaus, April 12, 1859; Milton Kemper, Novem-
ber 10, i860; J. B. Rottinghaus, April 22, 1862; William Ginn. April 17, 1863;
J. B. Rottinghaus, April 14, 1865; Henry Menke, April 11, 1866 (refused to
serve) ; William Ginn, June 24, 1866; Henry Sherman, April 13, 1868; J. W.
Barber, April 12, 1869; Henry Rottinghaus, October 1*2, 1872; Henry Rotting-
haus, October 20, 1875; David K. Brown, April 20, 1877; Joseph Raterman,
A'ND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS 373
October 14, 1878; Henry Rottinghaus, May 26, 1880; Albert Hasebrook,
October 14, 1881 ; Albert Hasebrook, 1884; J. H. Rottinghaus. r886; Albert
Hasebrook, 1887; J. H. Rottinghaus, 1889; William H. Quinlin, 1890; Wil-
liam H. Quinlin, 1893; J. H. Rottinghaus. 1895; John Barhorst, 1896; J. H.
Rottinghaus, 1898; John Barhorst, 1899; J. H. Rottinghaus, 1901 ; John
Barhorst, 1902; J. H. Rottinghaus, 1904; John Barhorst, 1906; Adolph Sher-
man, 1906; Adolph Sherman, 1908; John Barhorst, 1909; John Barhorst,
1910; Adolph Sherman, 1911.
The present township clerk is William H. Xiederkorn. Trustees — Fred
Holthaus, Joseph Boltheimer, and Clem Daniel.
There are two fraternal orders that have lodges in McLean township,
namely : the Knights of St. John, having 50 members and the Catholic Knights
of America, with 12 members.
McClean township has two churches, Emanuel Reformed church, Rev.
Albert Grether, pastor; and St. Michael's Catholic church, Rev. Anthony
Located in the southern part of the county, with its southern boundary
touching Miami county, lies Orange township, which is one of the best
improved sections of the county, the well tilled farms and general air of pre-
vailing thrift giving evidence of successful agriculture. It has an area of
about twenty-three square miles and embraces parts of town 1 and 2, of. range
12 and 13. Perry and Green townships lie along its eastern line and Clinton
and Washington townships, separated from it by the Great Miami river, on
the north and west.
Orange township was formed from Perry township. On September 13,
1819, the county commissioners, at their meeting held at Hardin, ordered that
Perry township should be thus divided: a line running through the middle of
the thirteenth range should have the southern division organized as a new
township which should be called Orange, and that decision made Orange
township include all the territory embraced within the present limits of Orange
and Green townships. At a meeting held at Hardin by the commissioners,
March 7, 1820, it was ordered that all that part of Orange township that is
east of the west tier of sections in the second township of both ranges 12 and
13, be erected into a new township and that it should be given the name of
SOIL AND WATER
The surface of Orange township is generally undulating and along the
water courses somewhat broken and hilly. The soil is well adapted to the
growing of grains and grasses, consisting of gravel and clay loam, while the
gravel beds have supplied sufficient gravel for the construction of many miles
of fine roads. Along the banks of the Great Miami river there is an abund-
ance of limestone, which has been worked more or less at different times. This
374 HISTORY OF SHELBY COUNTY
township is well watered, principally by the Great Miami river, on the north
and west side, and additionally by Brush and Rush creeks. There are also
numerous fine springs.
In 1806 the Cannon family located on section 16, this being the first white
settlement made within the present limits of Orange township. In the spring
of 1809 came John Phillips and William Berry and in the fall of the same year
came Daniel Valentine and Edward Jackson. Still others, who settled here
prior to the War of 181 2, were Thomas Young, Abram Glossmire, John
Matthews, Luke Xorris, John Gilbert and Harman Dildine, and Judge Francis
located here very soon after the close of the war. The first frame house was
built by Wiliam Berry, who also erected the first flouring mill, and it is known
that flour and meal came from this mill for General Harrison's troopers on
their march to the Northwest. This was the only mill within a radius of fifty
miles. With the outbreak of the War of 1812, the settlers found that the
heretofore friendly Indians had become hostile to the settlers and hence it was
deemed advisable to build block-houses in which the families could take shel-
ter in case of a sudden alarm. One was accordingly built near the Berry mill
and another on the farm of Edward Jackson, who later built the first brick
house that was ever put up in Orange township. On March 17, 181 1, the first
white child was born in the settlement — Isaac Young, who lived to an
Orange township people soon showed interest in education and religion,
the first schoolhouse being built on the farm of Thomas Young. The earliest
teachers were Joseph Rollands and James B. McKenney, while Edward Jack-
son opened his house for church purposes in 181 5, services being held by an
itinerant Methodist preacher, the Rev. John Furrow. Without question, he
had a large and deeply interested congregation. Shortly afterward preaching
followed at the home of Daniel Valentine, by Revs. John McNemer and
United Brethren Church — The Valentines and the Youngs, prominent
among the early settlers, had left, reluctantly, their old church connection when
they came into this wilderness but very early began the organization of a
United Brethren communion in the new settlement. The members of this
faith were scattered but when the missionary preacher arrived he found a
warm welcome and left with an assurance that the faith was not dead nor yet
sleeping, only awaiting the time when the believers could assemble together
and form the nucleus which, many years afterward, became the United Breth-
ren church at Kirkwood. The early meetings were held at the houses of
Daniel Valentine, Jacob Boyer and others until 1844, when a schoolhouse that
had been erected on the present site of Kirkwood was utilized. In 1847 a
frame edifice was constructed on the land of R. W. Valentine, and George
Warvel was the name of the first preacher. It was used as a place of worship
AND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS 375
until 1876, when a more commodious church building costing $2,500 was put
up at Kirkwood. The present pastor is Rev. Mayne, of Lockington.
Wesley Chapel — The Methodist Episcopal church early sent missionaries
to visit the settlers in Orange township. In 1833 regular meetings were held
in the private houses of the members of this faith, by Rev. Arza Brown, and
in 1840 the society built a brick structure, near the Miami county line, which
hecame known as Wesley Chapel. Among the early members of this society
were Henry Rhodehamel and wife, Father Kerns and wife, and Jacob Tabler
and Amos Gray, with their families. This society did good Christian work
in the community until a few years ago, when it disbanded.
Spring Creek Baptist Church — The society originally known as the Salem
church was organized as early as 18 16. Like other struggling religious bodies
its first meetings were held in private houses but later a log house was built
on Spring creek and services were held there, the membership including the
pioneer families of the neighborhood and also some from Piqua. As the
society grew it was found desirable to have separate church bodies and in
August, 1840, measures were taken for the organization of the Spring Creek
Baptist church, the first pastor being Elder Eaton and the second, Elder Fuson.
During the latter's pastorate a church edifice was erected. A nunjl>er of
pious and zealous elders succeeded. In 1867, during the pastorate of Elder
Daniel Bryant, a new church was built, it being located north of the Shelby
and Miami company's line on a lot presented to the society by John F. Hetzler,
in which services were subsequently held. This church has maintained its
organization up to the present time, its present pastor being Rev. John T.
JUSTICES OF THE l'EACE
The following is a list of the justices of the peace who have served 'in
Orange township from 1819 until 1912:
John Francis, 1819-22-31. John W. Valentine, 1832. Lewis Cooper,
1834. J. W. Valentine, April 4. 1835. Sexton Mount, December 8, 1836.
John V. Higgins, November 18, 1837. John H. Wykoff, April 16, 1840.
W. A. Carey, November 9, 1840. J. H. Wykoff, April n, 1843. W - A -
Carey, October 25, 1843. J. H. Wykoff, April 22, 1846. William M. Men-
denhall, October 24, 1846. W. A. Carey, December 18, 1847. W. A. Carey,
April 14, 1854. William Shinn, Jr., February 2^,, 1855. Lewis Cooper,
April 15, 1858. D. Buchanan, April 7, i860. R. P. Higgins, April 22, 1861.
W. A. Carey, April 17, 1863. R. P. Higgins, April 2i, 1864. W. A. Carey,
April 11, 1866. R. P. Higgins, April 5, 1867. W. A. Carey, April 12, 1869.
J. B. Brading, April 8, 1870. W. A. Carey, April 5, 1872. Christopher
Hetzler, April 11, 1873. W. A. Carey. April 9, 1875. J- G. Higgins, April
8, 1876. George Frazer, April 8, 1878. Levi Cofield, April 17. 1879. Isaac
Redenbo, April 14, 1880. Milton Valentine, 1885. I. N. Redenbo, 1886.
Milton Valentine, 1888. H. L. Housen, 1889. F. W. Bown, 1891. Leander
Walter, 1892. F. W. Brown, 1894. George W. Wiley, 1895. F. R. Higgins,
1897. G. William Vorlss, 1898. W. B. Fulton, 1900. P. O. Stockstill, 1901.
376 HISTORY OF SHELBY COUNTY
A. D. Rhinehart, 1903. P. O. Stockstill, 1905. Ed Eisner, 1908. James
Doak, 1908. P. O. Stockstill, 191 1. In 19 12 the trustees of Orange town-
ship are : S. T. Buirley, H. W. Caven and John Beaman, and the township
clerk is James W. Wiley, of Sidney.
KIRKWOOD (OLD PONTIAC)
Kirkwood, a small village of about sixty-six inhabitants and formerly called
Pontiac, was laid out in May, 1868, and is located in section 28, township
1, range 12 M. R. S. It lies six miles south of Sidney on the C. H. & D. Rail-
road. The first building was erected here in 1863, by G. W. Holley, and was
a grain warehouse. Before engaging in the business, however, Mr. Holley
sold to D. K. Gillespie, who began buying grain in 1864. In 1866 a store
building was erected by H. S. Gillespie and Thomas McKee, which firm was
succeeded by J. G. & Andrew Robinson, among later proprietors being
Andrew Robinson (alone) and J. L. McKee. The village, which was origi-
nally known as Pontiac, in 1879 took the name in honor of D. Kirkwood
Gillespie, who was proprietor of the grain elevator here. R. G. Knox keeps
the general store and post office in Kirkwood. There is also a warehouse in
Kirkwood owned by Adlard and Persinger of Sidney.
Perry township is one of the original townships of this county, it having
been organized as a part of Miami county, June 10, 1817, two years prior
to the organization of Shelby county. Its early and subsequent boundaries
may be described in general as follows : In 18 19 Perry township embraced all
the territory now included within the townships of Perry, Orange, Green,
Salem, Jackson and a part of Clinton. In September of the above year Orange
township was separated and in March, 1820, Green township was separated
from Orange. In 1825 the county commissioners made entry as follows con-
cerning the boundaries of Perry township:
"Perry township begins on the southeast corner of section 4, town 2,
range 13, east line of Shelby county; thence north with said line to the north-
east corner of the county ; thence west with the county line to the line between
section 29 and 30, town 1, range 7; thence south with the line between the
said sections; continued on to the Miami river and across said river; thena
with the river down to the line between sections 10 and 9, town 1, range 13
thence with last said line east to continue on to the place of beginning." In
March, 1826, a portion of the above described land became a part of Clinton
township, and in June, 1826, the north tier of sections of Green township
was attached to Perry, and all that part of Perry lying north of the Miami
river was created a new township to which was given the name of Salem, and
in June, 1837, all of fractional township No 1, range 14, which belonged to
Perry, was attached to Salem township, which included that part of said
fractional township lying south of the river, and mis, in 1854, once more
became a part of Perry township.
AND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS 377
Surface, Soil and Drainage — With soil of rich, sandy clay and black loam,
the early pioneers to this section found great promise of agricultural success
as the surface of the land is generally level, its slight undulations providing
for satisfactory drainage, which is toward the north, the boundary line in that
direction being the Great Miami river. Other streams of importance are Big
and Little Indian creek, Mosquito or Tawawa creek and Turkey Foot creek,
the last named watering the central part of the township. Corn, wheat and
grasses do remarkably well in Perry township and the prosperity of the agri-
cultural sections is further indicated by the general intelligence and progres-
sivenecs of the citizens. Here may be found some of the best constructed
and best kept roads in the county and it is no unfamiliar sight to see on them
the automobiles of the farmers. The C. C. C. & I. (Big Four) Railroad
crosses the township from east to west. The township has good schools, with
modern equipments, further data in regard to which may be found in the chap-
ter on education.
Early Settlement — In February, 1814, David Henry located in section 28,
on the bank of Mosquito or Tawawa creek, and he was the first settler within
the present limits of Perry township. In the following year he was joined
by Samuel and William Robinson with their families, and in 1816 came Wil-
liam Marrs, and prior to the organization of the county in 1819, George Chiles,
Charles Johnston, Thomas Wilkinson, Peter Musselman, William Richardson,
Charles Weeks and Benjamin Manning had established homes here. At that
time primeval conditions still prevailed over 'this part of the county, the settlers
visiting each other and making their neecSsary trips to mill mainly by way
of Indian trails, and it may well be believed that when the Sidney and Urbana
road, the first in the township, was completed, that the piqneers felt that a
great want was supplied. As to mills the first one built was of logs, on Mos-
quito creek, a fine location which is still utilized as a mill site, and was erected
by Charles Mason, a colored man. The second flouring mill was erected by
William Pepper. David Henry, the first settler, not only put up the first log
house but also the first frame one. The lumber that William Marrs made use
of in the building of the first frame barn, was cut in the township and sawed
in Peter Musselman's mill on Mosquito creek. Henry C. Line became locally
envied, perhaps, as he was able to build a brick house in 1836. Into the
Henry family came the first births, David and Sally Henry, twins, who were
born February 17, 181 5.
From the very beginning the township, as a concrete body, recognized its
responsibilities and in making provision for adequate government, selected
representative citizens for officials. The list of those who have served in the
office of justice of the peace from 1817 until 1910, inclusive, as follows:
David Henry, 1817; George Morrison, 1820; David Henry, 1821; David
Henry, 1824; David Henry, resigned, April 1, 1826; Booth Burditt, 1826;
David Henry, 1829; D. Henry and Booth Burditt, 1832; Charles Johnston,
1834; Joseph Garver. April 28, 1837; Booth Burditt, April 30, 1838; Benja-
min Wagoner, April 16, 1840; Booth Burditt, April 16, 1841 ; Eleazer Hatha-
way, April 15, 1843; John M. DeWeese, September 2, 1843; Charles. John-
y?H HISTORY OF SHELBY COUNTY
ston, April 22, 1846; Simon Hornbeck, October 24, 1846; Charles John-
ston, April 10, 1849; David Henry, November 3, 1849; Wm. R. Reid (resigned
May 24, 1852), April 17, 1852; Charles Johnston, June 26, 1852; Charles
Slagle, October 24, 1852; Marshall Pepper, June 27, 1855; G. R. Forsythe,
November 1, 1855; Marshall Pepper, April 16, 1858; G. R. Forsythe, October
19, 1858; Wm. Dunlap, April 22, 1861 ; Marshall Pepper, October If, 1861 :
Thomas Kizer (resigned Feb. 2, 1865), April 23, 1864; John Matthias, Feb.
22, 1865; J. V. Wilson, Feb. 12, 1868; Isaac Speer, April 13, 1868; Isaac
Speer, April 11, 1871 ; J. V. Wilson, Marshall Pepper, April 10, 1874; G. W.
Clark; Marshall Pepper, April 17, 1877; G. W. Clark, April 20; 1877; A. J.
Davidson, April 19, 1880; G. W. Clark, April 14, 1880; J. D. Ferree, 1886;
G. W. Clark, 1886; J. D. Ferree, 1889; S. B. Cannon, 1889; Jacob Cost, 1892;
S. B. Cannon, 1892; G. W. Clark, 1895; T. J. Robinson, 1895; C. J. Jackson,
1897; R. J. Rugh, 1898; G. W. Clark, 1898; S. B. Cannon, 1901 ; A. J. Struhle,
1903; George E. Hahn, 1904; George E. Hahn, 1908; S. B. Cannon, 1910.
The following citizens make up the board of trustees of Perry township in
1912 : Charles Peppers, Walker Zimpfer and M. N. Lucas, N. C. Enders of
Pemberton being township clerk. There are many family names familiar in
this section at the present day that appear in the earliest township records
and they may be recognized in the following list of those who paid road tax
in 1818; James Bryan, John Bryan, Adam Conuts, William Drake, James
Dingman, Jr., Daniel V. Dingman, John Francis, Caleb Goble, John Hatha-
way, Jesse Jackson, William Johnson, Jesse Jackson, Jr., Edward Jackson,
Alexander Jackson, Elisha Kirtland, George Morrison, Elijah Montoney,
William Minnear, Abraham Minnear, William Morris, Luke Norris, Rod-
ham Talbott, Daniel Vandemark, in District No. 1, of which James Dingman
was supervisor. Those in District No. 2, of which Asa Hubble was super-
visor, were: George Chiles, Asa Hubble, John Hunt, David Henry, Charles
Johnston, William Marrs, John Medaris, Peter Princehouse, Henry Prince-
house, William and Samuel Robinson, Mathias Sturm, Henry Sturm and
Henry Sturm, Jr., G. Thompson, Charles Weeks, John Mathews and Peter
The present township clerk is N. C. Enders, of Pemberton. Trustees —
Charles Peppers, Walker Zimpfer and M. N. Lucas.
Villages — The village of Pemberton, the leading commercial center of the
township, is situated seven miles east of Sidney and derived its name through
brotherly devotion, Civil Engineer Pemberton, officially connected with the
construction of the C. C. C. & I. Railroad through the county, securing
this honor for his brother, General Pemberton, a distinguished Confederate
officer during the Civil war. The land was surveyed in 1852, sixty- four lots
being included, and was platted by Benjamin C. Wilkerson, John H. and
Leonard T. Elliott and George R. Forsythe, as proprietors. Calvin Morris
opened the first grocery store, Isaac Wilkinson and Irvin Nutt, the first dry
goods store, William Johnston, the first blacksmith shop, David Lemon, the
first wagon shop and J. V. Wilson, the first hotel. Dr. Edward Stockton
undoubtedly was the first physician and the first postmaster was Joseph
AND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS :i7'.i
Smith. At one time the town was the home of numerous business enterpriser
including grocery and dry goods stores, drug store, grain elevator, sawmill.
shingle factory, butcher shop and concrete stone works. Some of these indus-
tries still continue. The population is about 325. and includes a number of
wealthy retired farmers. There are now two grain elevators in Pemberton
and one other not far from the village. There is also a general store and three
groceries and restaurants, and two blacksmith shops. Hain & Gebhardt have
a well-drilling machine with which they are doing a good business. J. H.
llickenbotham, of Pemberton, has a threshing machine and sawmill.
The village of Pasco in the western part of the township has a population
of about fifty-two, with one general store. In the vicinity are also a flour
mill and a blacksmith shop.
Baptist Church — The Baptist church has been a strong religious body in
Perry township since 1830, when the first society was organized with eleven
members (December 3) under the name of the Miami church, by Rev. Willie
Hance. Moses Frazer and Moses Frazer. Jr. The first deacon was Peter
Kiser and among the first members were: Peter Kiser. Catherine Kiser.
Michael Cox, Mary Jackson. Nancy Wilkinson and Sarah Manning. House
to house meetings were held through the first five years, but in 1835 the
Baptists fixing near the dividing line of Shelby and Logan counties united
in the erection of a church edifice at Quincy, in Logan county, and there the
united congregation attended until 1873, when the building was destroyed in
a great storm of that year. In 1874 the Shelby Baptists built a church of their
own at Pemberton, expending $4,000, the membership at that time being seven-
teen. It reached its highest point in membership in 1893, when there were
206 members. At present there are 131. The pastors have been Elders R.
Duncan, E. Bunker, S. M. Brower, A. T. W'iant, A. Snider, D. Bryant, F. ].