eBooksRead.com books search new books
Alvah L. (Alvah Littlefield) Sawyer.

A history of the northern peninsula of Michigan and its people; its mining, lumber and agricultural industries (Volume 3) online

. (page 49 of 71)
Online LibraryAlvah L. (Alvah Littlefield) SawyerA history of the northern peninsula of Michigan and its people; its mining, lumber and agricultural industries (Volume 3) → online text (page 49 of 71)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

two years, however, when young, employed as a clerk, first in a boot
and shoe store, and later in a drug store. In 1886 he became asso-
ciated with Van Cleave & Merriam, real estate dealers and civil en-
gineers, and continued with that firm two years. The following year
Mr. Brotherton continued in business alone, but in 1889 formed a part-
nership with Mr. Zane, with whom he was associated a year and a half,
being afterwards alone. Going to Utah in 1896, Mr. Brotherton spent
three years in Salt Lake City. Returning to Escanaba in 1899, he re-
sumed his old line of business, and has done much of the surveying in
this vicinity, laying out many of the additions to the city, and mak-
ing all of the more important surveys in Gladstone. He has also
other interests of financial and commercial value, being manager of
the Escanaba Potash Company, which manufactures crude potash, and
is also president of the Gates Finger Moistner Company.

Mr. Brotherton married, March 28, 1888, Lizzie M. Buckley, a
daughter of Andrew and Ursula Buckley, and to them eight children
have been born, namely : Ursula, Delevan, Charlie, Kenneth Edwin,
Ralph, Zora, Elizabeth and Verna. Mr. Brotherton is active in local
affairs, and has served as supervisor of his ward, and is now, as pre-
viously mentioned, city engineer and county surveyor. He is a member
of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, in which he has taken
three degrees, and is an active and valued member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, also of the Knights of Pythias.

William Clark, Jr. — An able representative of the great basic indus-
try of agriculture and stock-growing in the Upper Peninsula is AVilliam
Clark, who has maintained his home in Chippewa county for more than
a quarter of a century and he is the owner of one of the best improved
farms in this section. Mr. Clark was born in the city of Toronto, Ontario,
Canada, on the 4th of August, 1859, and is a son of William and Marie
(Phillips) Clark, the former of whom was born in Glasgow, Scotland,
in 1830, and the latter of whom was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1840.
The mother died in 1899 and the father, now retired from active business,
makes his home with his children. William Clark, Sr., came to America



1406 THE NORTHERN PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN

when a boy of fourteen years, working his passage on a sailing vessel
and landing in the city of Quebec. He found employment at farm work,
to which he devoted his attention for a number of years and after his
marriage he engaged in the hotel business at Woodbridge, Ontario.
Later he located in Huron county, that province, where he reclaimed a
farm from the wilderness and became a citizen of prominence and influ-
ence. He has lived virtually retired since 1896. He and his wife be-
came the parents of four sons and nine daughters and of the number
twelve are now living, the subject of this sketch being the eldest.

William Clark, Jr., the subject of this sketch, gained his early ex-
perience in connection with the practical affairs of life by his boyhood
labors on the home farm. He attended the common schools during the
winter terms until he had attained the age of nineteen years, when he
came to IMichigan and located in Alpena county, where he was em-
ployed in the lumber woods and at saw-mill work for two years. He
passed the follo'nang year at his old home in Ontario and in the fall of
1882 he came to Chippewa county, passing the first winter on Drummond
Island, where he was employed in the lumber woods. In the following
spring he and his brother Edward piu'chased a small boat, the "Mocking
Bird," with which they did freighting business on the St. ]\Iary's river
for one season. Thereafter the subject of this sketch was identified with
saw-miU work for five years at the Princess Bay mill, at which he was
head sa'oyer for two years of this period. He then located in Raber
township, Chippewa county, where he secured one hundred and sixty
acres of timber land and where he erected a log house of primitive order.
After this was destroyed by fire he built another log dwelling, to which
latter he has since added a commodious frame structure, so that he now
has a large and attractive residence. Of his resident homestead he re-
claimed fifty acres to cultivation and the remainder of the same is
covered with fine hardwood timber, which is constantly increasing in
value. In Pickford township he has purchased an additional tract of
eighty acres of as valuable land as can be found in Chippewa county and
his entire landed estate now aggregates two hundred and eighty acres.
Mr. Clark has taken a deep interest in all that has tended to advance
the development and general welfare of his home city, has achieved suc-
cess from his earnest and well-directed efforts and is one of the valued
and honored citizen of the county. He served eight years as justice of
the peace, was a member of the school board for fifteen years and is at
the present time representative of his township on the countj^ board of
supeiwisoi-s, of Avliieh he has been a member for the past five years. He
is affiliated with the Sault Ste. IMarie Lodge, No. 123, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and in the same city is identified with Bethel Lodge,
No. 358, Free & Accepted Masons. He is also identified with the L. 0.
L., and in the village of Stalwart he is secretary of the lodge of Inde-
pendent Order of Foresters. In this organization he is high treasiu-er
of the order in the LTpper Peninsula. He is also actively identified with
the Patrons of Husbandry. His political Support is given to the Repub-
lican party.

In February, 1883, Mr. Clark was united in marriage to Miss Bessie
Beggs, who was born in the province of Ontario, Canada, and whose
death occurred in ]\Iarch, 1896. She is survived bv five children,— John
W., Mabel L., William W., Alva V.. and Montford.

Emanttel M. St. Jacques, one of the prominent merchants of Es-
canaba. ^Michigan, came to this place a poor boy thirty-seven years ago,
and, unaided, worked his way up to the position he now occupies among
tlie leadinsr business men of the town.



THE NORTHERN PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN 1407

Mr. St. Jacques dates his birth at St. Hennas, Canada, December 25,
1854. He is the seventh in a family of twelve children, six sons and six
daughters, born of Canadian parents, all of whom, with one exception,
are still living. The father lived to the ripe age of eighty-nine years ;
the mother was seventy-eight at time of death. In July, 1872, when a
youth of seventeen, Emanuel left the parental home and came over into
]\Iiehigan, Escanaba his objective point, where he went to work as a
common laborer in lumber yards. This occupation he followed until
1885, when, having laid aside a portion of his earnings, he decided ta
engage in business for himself and turned his attention to merchandis-
ing. He began in a small way, with only $1,000 capital, handling gen-
eral merchandise. For three years he rented the building he occupied.
Then he bought a lot and erected his present store, and with the pass-
ing years has continued to prosper in his undertakings.

While his own personal business has received his best attention, Mr.
St. Jacques has found time to give to public affairs and has rendered
efficient service to county and towni. He was treasurer of Delta county
four years, elected on the Republican ticket, and prior to his incumbency
of that office he was four years city treasurer and four years supervisor.
At this writing he is serving his fourth year as alderman.

July 4, 1877, he married Miss Marceline Beauchamp. They have
an adopted son, Thomas St. Jacques, a graduate of St. Viateur College,
Bourbonnais, Kankakee, Illinois, who is now in the store with his father.

Fraternally, Mr. St. Jacques is identified with numerous organiza-
tions, being for six years general president and for eight years secretary
of the French Canadian Society and is now its president. He has mem-
bership in the Knights of Columbus, the Foresters, the K. 0. T. M. and
the B. P. 0. E., and in the Escanaba Business Men's Association he has
for years been prominent and active, at this writing being vice president
of the association.

Charles W. Scbulz. — Of the many responsible positions involving
the safe-keeping of the traveling public that of lighthouse keeper and
custodian is of important order. How many lives are saved on a stormy
night by that unwavering beacon and what disasters are avoided by the
dismal-sounding fog horn can only be fully appreciated by those who
reside near a large body of water, especially one where such terrible
catastrophies occur as in the stormy region of the Great Lakes. Upon
the capable and willing shoulders of Charles W. Schulz, Avho is light-
house keeper and custodian at St. Mary's Buoy, on Sugar Island, reposes
such a trust.

Mr. Schulz was born in western Persia, on the 5th of December, 1871,
and is a son of Carl and Wilhelmina (Karlmnefel) Schulz. The former
was born in Persia in 1834, and the latter in Germany, in 1846 ; she was
summoned to the life eternal in 1898, at the age of fifty-two years. Carl
Schulz went to Germany and his marriage was solemnized at Boulton,
that country. He and his wife became the parents of eleven children,
nine of whom lived to years of maturity and of this number Charles AV.
Schulz, the subject of this sketch, who was one of twins. All the children
were born in Germany and there one daughter, Wilhelmina, died in in-
fancy. IMr. Schulz and his family emigrated from Germany to Chip-
pewa county, Michigan, in 1880, and at the time of the family removal
to America Charles W. Avas about nine years of age. The family first
located at Hamtramck, Wayne county, a place that to-day forms a part
of the city of Detroit. Here the father secured employment with the
Michigan Stove Company, where he worked for eighteen years. He has

Vo!. in— 2 2



1408 THE NORTHERN PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN

now attained the venerable age of seventy-six years and is living retired
from active labor in the city of Detroit, Michigan.

Charles W. Schulz received his preliminary education in Germany
and supplemented the same by vigorous physical and mental training in
America, where he soon mastered the English language. On his arrival
in America he was afforded the advantages of the Detroit public schools,
which he attended i;ntil he was fourteen years of age, when he initiated
his independent career as a sailor on the Schooner "N. C. West." In
1894, at the age of twenty-three years, he engaged in the United States
naval service at Whitefish Point, Chippewa county, Michigan, on Lake
Superior, as lighthouse assistant to Charles Kimball. There he remained
until 1897, when he was transferred as keeper to Huron Island, in Lake
Superior, and, as stated above, in 1900 he was again transferred to St.
Mary's Buoy, on Sugar Island. In politics Mr. Schulz gives a stanch
allegiance to the Republican party and though never a seeker after pub-
lie office he has ever maintained a loyal interest in all matters pertaining
to the general welfare of the community. His Masonic affiliations are
with Union Lodge, No. 3, Free & Accepted Masons, at Detroit, Michigan ;
and Peninsula Chapter, No. 16, Royal Arch Masons, in the city of De-
troit.

On the 7th of March, 1901, Mr. Schulz was united in marriage to Miss
Gesin Elizabeth Tebelman, who was born in Detroit, Michigan, and who
is a daughter of Charles G. and Wilhelmina (Rader) Tebelman, the
former of whom was born in Madrid, Spain, in 1834, and the latter of
whom was born in Germany. When a mere child Mr. Tebelman re-
moved with his widowed mother to Bremen, Germany, where he spent
his boyhood days, and while he was still a young man he immigrated to
America, drifting through the United States until he finally located in
Detroit, Michigan, where he engaged in the manufacture of cigars, which
trade he had previously learned in Germany. He is now, in 1910,
seventy-six years of age and he and his wife still maintain their home in
Detroit, where he is living virtually retired. His marriage was solem-
nized in Deti'oit and to this union were born seven children of whom six
are now living. The wife of the subject of this sketch was the first-
born. Mr. and Mrs. Schulz are the parents of four children,— Wilhel-
mina Pearl, Carl Otto, Eleanora Ruth and Beatrice May, all of whom
remain at the parental home.

Edvfaed T. Abrams, M. D. — Worthy of especial mention among the
leading physicians and prominent citizens of Hancock is Edward T.
Abrams, M. D., a man of pronounced medical skill and ability, who is
here enjoying a large and remunerative general practice. He was born
November 20, 1860, at Eagle River, Keweenaw county, coming from pure
English ancestry, his father, Michael Abrams, having been a native of
the County Cornwall, England, his birth occurring in the parish of
Camborne, where Henry Abrams, the doctor's grandfather, spent his
many years of earthly life.

Brought up and educated in Camborne, Michael Abrams was early
impressed with the idea that the United States offered better oppor-
tunities for a man without means to obtain success in the industrial
world, and in 1858 emigrated to the Upper Peninsula, previously locat-
ing at Hartford, Connecticut, and later at Eagle River, Michigan, then
the county seat of Houghton. After mining in that vicinity a few
years, he went to Rockland, Ontonagan county, where he found work at
the National and Minnesota JMines. Returning to Houghton county in
1871, he was first employed in what is now the Centennial IMine, after-




p
o^



-rt - T^-z>-'''$^^/(7^^^



/^^^ j^tcr. ^.6



THE NORTHERN PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN 1409

ward working at the Allouez and the Osceola, where he spent his last
years, passing away July 12, 1889. His wife, whose maiden name was
Lydia Chegwin, was born in Mola-St. Agnes, England. Her father,
Alexander Chegwin, a mine contractor and a lifelong resident of Corn-
wall, England, was a lineal descendant of the Keigwins of Mousehole,
County Cornwall, and traced his lineage back in a direct line to the
time of King Edward I. Mrs. Lydia Abrams died at Osceola in 1893,
leaving seven children, as follows: Edward T., the special subject of
this brief biographical record ; Annie, wife of James D. Jones, of Calu-
met; Harry, a resident of Calumet, Michigan; Amelia, wife of William
Terrell, of Great Falls, Montana; James, a prominent physician and
surgeon of Red Jacket; Susan, wife of James Sumners, of Calumet; and
Lydia, wife of Oscar Robbins, of Montana.

At the age of thirteen years, having previously attended school quite
regularly, Edward T. Abrams began to learn the blacksmith's trade.
Utilizing all of his leisure minutes, he continued his studies by himself,
in the evenings attending the evening schools. When eighteen years old
he taught school, and subsequently earned enough money to enable him
to further advance his education. He is a graduate from Dartmouth
College, New Hampshire. Having decided to enter the medical pro-
fession, Mr. Abrams studied medicine under the preeeptorship of Dr.
A. I. Laubaugh, afterward attending lectures at Detroit Medical College
and the Long Island Hospital, New York. For two years Dr. Abrams
assisted his former tutor, Dr. Laubaugh, at Osceola, Michigan, and then
settled as a physician at Dollar Bay, Houghton county, being employed
by the Lake Superior Smelting Company. Coming from there to Han-
cock in 1893, the Doctor has since been in active practice here, his keen-
ness in diagnosing diseases and his skill and modern methods of treat-
ment of different eases willing him a lucrative patronage and an en-
viable reputation as a successful surgeon.

Dr. Abrams married, in 1890, Ida L. Howe, who was born in Howell,
Michigan, a daughter of Seymour and Phoebe (Boutelle) Howe, natives
of Batavia, New York. Mr. Howe's ancestors lived in Massachusetts
for many generations, while the emigrant ancestor of the Boutelle family
removed from England to Rhode Island in the early part of the seven-
teenth century. The parents of Mrs. Abrams came from New York
state to Michigan in pioneer days, settling on a farm in Howell, where
both spent their remaining years.

Dr. Abrams is a member of the Houghton County Medical Society;
a member and the president of the Upper Peninsula Medical Society ; a
former vice-president of the Michigan State Medical Society; a member
of the American Medical Association, to which he is a delegate from
the state of IMichigan from 1910 to 1912, and the American Association
of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. He has a state-wide reputation in
his profession and has been the recipient of literary honors. Olivet Col-
lege having conferred upon him the degree of A. M. in 1902. The
Doctor is a stanch Republican in politics, active in party ranks. He
served as a member of the school board at Dollar Bay for many years,
and in 1907 was elected to represent his district in the state legislature.
While there, he cast his first vote for Mr. Hill as United States senator,
but later voted for Hon. Alden Smith. He is an orator of fine ability,
and is in much demand on public occasions. He is, without question,
the best authority on Cornish history, traditions, and customs in the
state.

Fraternally Dr. Abrams is a member of Quiney Lodge, No. 35, F. &



1410 THE NORTHERN PENINSULA OF MICHIOAN

A. M'. ; of Gate of the Temple Chapter, No. 35, R. A. M. ; of Palestine
Commandery, K. T. ; of Detroit Consistory ; of the Ancient Arabic Order
of the Nobles of the IMystic Shrine, of Detroit; of the K. of P., and of
i\Iistletoe Lodge, Sons of Saint George. He was a charter member of
the Alpha Kappa Kappa Fraternity of Dartmouth, organized in 1888.

Stanley T. Springer, D. D. S.; is numbered among the able and
popular representatives of the dental profession in the LTpper Peninsula
and is established in the successful practice of his profession in the city
of Sault Ste. Marie, where he has finely appointed offices in the McGirr
block.

Dr. Springer was born in Nelson township, Halton county, province
of Ontario, Canada, on the 8th of October, 1878, and is a son of Adam
and Sarah (Ingalls) Springer, both of whom were likewise born and
reared in that township, where they have continued to reside during the
long intervening yeai'S. The father was born in the same house as was
Dr. Springer and the date of his nativity was May 18th, 1838. Of the
three children the Doctor is the youngest ; Frederick has the general man-
agement of the old homestead farm ; and Susan is the wife of Thomas
M. Alton of Nelson township, Halton county, Ontario, where he is a
farmer and stock-raiser. Adam Springer is a son of David and j\Iargaret
(Thompson) Springer, the former of whom was born in the province
of Ontario, in 1800, and the latter of whom was a native of Scotland.
They became the parents of three sons and four daughters, of whom
Adam was the fifth in order of birth. David Springer, who attained
the patriarchal age of ninety-two years was numbered among the prom-
inent farmers and influential citizens of Nelson township and there con-
tinued to reside until his death, as did also his wife. He was a son of
Richard Springer, who was born in the state of Vermont and he was
loyal to the crown at the time of the war of the Revolution by reason
of which fact he removed to Canada, where he and his three sons secured
grants of government land. The lineage of the Springer family is traced
back to Swedish oi-igin and the original progenitors in America here
took up their residence in the early colonial epoch. Mi-s. Jeanette H.
Nicholson, great-great-grandmother in the maternal line, was born in
Dumfries, Scotland.

Adam Springer, father of the Doctor, was afforded excellent educa-
tional advantages in his youth, including a course in Victoria College,
at Coburg, Ontario, in the law department of which institution he was
graduated as a member cf the class of 1860. He was thereafter engaged
in the practice of his profession in the city of Hamilton, Ontario, until
ill health compelled him to seek a change of climate. He thereafter
passed some time in Denver, Colorado, but he was eventually compelled
to abandon the work of his profession and under these conditions he re-
turned to the old homestead farm, where he and his wife have since
maintained their home. Dr. Springer passed his boyhood and youth on
the home farm and after duly availing himself of the advantages of the
versity of Illinois, at Champaign, in which he was graduated as a mem-
public schools he continued his studies in Hamilton Collegiate Institu-
tion, at Hamilton, Ontario, after leaving which he was engaged in teach-
ing school for six months. He entered the dental department of the Uni-
ber of the class of 1901, and from which he received his degree of Doctor
of Dental Surgery. In the same year he established his home in Sault
Ste. Marie, where he has since been successfully engaged in the practice
of his chosen profession. He is a member of the G. V. Black Dental So-
ciety of St. Paul, Minnesota.



THE NORTHERN PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN 1411

In politics Dr. Springer gives his support to the cause of the Re-
publican party and his Masonic affiliations are as here noted : Bethel
Lodge, No. 358, Free & Accepted Masons ; Sault Ste. Marie Chapter, No.
126, Royal Arch Masons; Sault Ste. Marie Council, No. 69, Royal &
Select ]\Iasters ; Sault Ste. IMarie Commandery, No. 45, Knights Tem-
plar; and Ahmed Temple of the Mystic Shrine, at Marquette, this city.
He also holds membership in the Red Cross Lodge, Knights of Pythias,
in his home city and is past chancellor of the same.

On the 17th of June, 1903, Dr. Springer was imited in marriage to
]\Iiss Louise Baxter, who was born at Mayweed, Cook county, Illinois,
and who was a daughter of John and Louise (Hayman) Baxter, both of
whom were bom in Wallington, England. Mr. Baxter died at his home
in Illinois, in 1895, and his wife passed away in 1903. Of their two
children Mrs. Springer is the elder, the other being Rose E. Dr. and
Mrs. Springer have three children, Louise, Rose and Isabella.

James J. Brown. — The honored subject of this sketch holds prestige
as one of the able and venerable members of the bar of the Upper Penin-
sula, is a scion of one of the pioneer families of Michigan, which has rep-
resented his home throughout his life, and he is now city attorney of St.
Ignace, where he has maintained his home for fully forty years. He has
followed the work ef his profession in various places in Michigan and
there his able service has dignified and honored the profession to
which he has given his attention. He has also been called upon to
serve in various offices of distinctive public trust and in all the rela-
tions of life he has adhered to the highest principles of integrity and
honor so that he has never been denied the fullest measure of confi-
dence and esteem.

Mr. Brown was born in the city of Pontiae, Oakland county, Mich-
igan, on the 13th of November, 1839, at which time that now thriving
city was a mere village. He is a son of John and Emma (Smith)
Brown, the former ef whom was born in Franklin county, New York,
and the latter in the city of Rochester, that state. They passed the
closing years ef their lives in the city of Chicago, where the father died
in 1890, at the age of seventy-five years, and where the mother passed
away in 1880, at the age of seventy years. Of their three children two
are living,— Fidelia, and James J., who is the subject ef this review.
John Brown came to Michigan in the pioneer days and for some time
was engaged in the banking business in the city of Detroit. Later he
removed to Chicago, where he engaged in the coal business, with which
he continued to be identified until his death. He was originally a Whig
in his political allegiance but identified himself with the Republican
party at the time of its organization, and ever afterward continued
a stanch advocate of its principles. He was a man of fine character
and much ability and was duly successful in his various business
operations.

James J. Brown gained his early educational training in the com-
mon schools ef his native county, after which he took a preparatory
course in the city of Ypsilanti, Michigan. Later he continued his
studies for a time in the University of ^licbigan and finally he entered
the Western Reserve College, at Hudson, Ohio, an institution that w;!s
removed to the city of Cleveland in 1882, and in the same he was
graduated as a member of the class of 1859, with the degree of Bachelor



Online LibraryAlvah L. (Alvah Littlefield) SawyerA history of the northern peninsula of Michigan and its people; its mining, lumber and agricultural industries (Volume 3) → online text (page 49 of 71)
Using the text of ebook A history of the northern peninsula of Michigan and its people; its mining, lumber and agricultural industries (Volume 3) by Alvah L. (Alvah Littlefield) Sawyer active link like:
read the ebook A history of the northern peninsula of Michigan and its people; its mining, lumber and agricultural industries (Volume 3) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014