On its organization he was elected first lieutenant, and was mustered in as captain of the com-
pany. He was in what is known in history as the Atlanta campaign. In December, 1863, he had
2O8 UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
the typhoid fever, and in the following February came home. He returned to the South in
March ; was with his company until the taking of Atlanta in September, 1864, when he took cold,
became thoroughly broken down in health and resigned.
In 1865 Captain Martin was elected clerk of the county court, and by reelections filled that
office for twelve consecutive years. For four and a half years, immediately thereafter, he held
the post of deputy clerk, and in -November, 1882, was elected sheriff, the duties of which office he
is now performing. Sheriff Martin is a republican, living in a strong democratic county, and
owes his success at the polls to his popularity, and his special fitness for official positions. He is
faithful as well as prompt and efficient, and gives good satisfaction to all parties. The voters of
Scott county usually have the good sense to drop partisan bias, when selecting county officers,
and go for the most capable and reliable men.
Sheriff Martin is a Blue Lodge and Royal Arch Mason, an Odd-Fellow, an elder in the Christian
Church, superintendent of the Sunday school the last seventeen years, and a man whose integrity
and purity of life are unquestioned.
HENRY SHIMER, A.M., M.D.
ONE of the best examples of a self-educated man in western Illinois, is the gentleman whose
name we have placed at the head of this sketch. He was reared, as we once heard him
remark, "on a twenty-five acre farm, one half hills and stones, and the other half swamp, and by
parents who could scarcely read or write." He was sent to school from three to four months in
the year, in a little, poorly ventilated country school house in the hill country of Pennsylvania,
where about sixty pupils were crowded together under the very ordinary teachers of those days,
from whom he could learn nothing beyond his attainments at fourteen years of age. After that
period he was never sent to school a single day. But there was no halt, no let-up, in his studies,
no long winter nights spent in idleness; no moments of precious time squandered in youthful
frivolities. In humble circumstances, without money or friends to push him forward, he knew
no such word as fail; he never despaired or faltered, but pressed right onward toward the mark
of high scholarship. The whole secret of his eminent success lies in the right beginnings of his
youth, in the use he made of his spare hours, his determination to know something, and his pluck
and perseverance since shown.
Henry Shimer, physician and scientist, is a native of Chester county, Pennsylvania, his birth
being dated at West Vincent, September i, 1828. His father was William Shinier, a farmer and
native of the same county, and his mother, before her marriage, was Catharine Still. She is yet
living, being in her seventy-eighth year. His father died in 1867. Henry lived on the farm in
boyhood; was his own teacher after he was fourteen years old, and at eighteen commenced teach-
ing a winter school, working at the trade of mason the rest of the year. During this period he
devoted his leisure hours to study.
In the latter part of March, 1854, Mr. Shimer started for the West; reached Mount Carroll in
the following month, and after taking a wide circuit through the Mississippi Valley, lasting for
three or four years, he concluded that this should be his home. Like Bayard Taylor, in making
his first tour to Europe, and Henry D. Thoreau in making his excursions in this country and Can-
ada, Mr. Shimer had many of his views a-foot, when he went off from the railroad and steamboat
lines of travel, going as far to the northwest as Minnesota, and as far south as Texas, traveling on
two occasions more than 1000 miles each trip on foot, and several shorter journeys of a few hun-
dred miles each, never less, and traveled by rail, by water and on foot more than 10,000 miles in all,
before his feet finally rested, contented and satisfied, on the uplands of Mount Carroll, which he
justly regarded as the gem of town sites. During these travels his trowel and his note-book were
his companions, and he settled down here with his muscles strengthened, and his mind well stored
and greatly expanded.
il Years Oil
if Years Did.
OF THE ,,,,
UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY. 21 I
In December, 1857, he married Miss Frances Anna Wood, one of the founders of the Mount
Carroll Seminary four years before, and still its principal; and he engaged in teaching in that
institution, now grown to mammoth proportions. Here he diligently pursued the study of the
mathematics, the physical sciences, and natural history, which have always been favorite branches
with him; he also continued his medical studies, which he had begun years before, and was finally
graduated at the Chicago Medical College in March, 1866, he being prize essayist on a thesis
entitled ''The Diseases of Insect Life." He afterward spent two winters in the medical colleges
and hospitals of New York city, where he enjoyed superior advantages in different departments
of his chosen profession. In a very few years he built-up a liberal practice, and has attained to
eminence in his profession. For awhile after commencing practice, he continued to teach a short
time each day in the seminary, but his professional labors at length became so onerous, that of late
years he has -done little more than lecture, now and then, on some branch of natural history.
As a writer in the " History of Carroll County ' has well remarked, "the doctor is an enthusi-
ast in all that he undertakes, and a close student, devoting the time which most men, less ardent,
would require for rest, to the interests of a large and growing practice, and to his favorite
branches of science, as his ample specimens in mineralogy, ornithology, entomology and botany
attest. He is a skillful taxidermist, and years ago prepared three thousand specimens of birds of
the different varieties found in this vicinky, with some rare ones from foreign places. A few
'hours spent in examining the doctor's cabinet of specimens will amply repay the lover of science."
In July, 1866, the University of Chicago conferred upon Doctor Shimer the honorary title of
master of arts, an honor well merited, and all the more noteworthy since the recipient had been
his own tutor since he was fourteen years old.
We believe the doctor has always regarded himself as lucky in having his steps in early life
directed toward the setting sun, where he caught the progressive spirit and stimulating impulse
of the Great West. Here he had much to encourage him to continue as he had commenced, and
to push forward in his studies, application to which is his life work. He was nevermore studious
than now, and this habit has been to him his exceeding great. reward. It has placed him among
the eminent physicians of the state, and in the front rank among mathematicians and naturalists.
Doctor Shimer is six feet in height, and weighs two hundred and ten pounds, and is a fine
sample of robust manhood. Although his early travels and later business associations often
brought him into the company of drinking and smoking men, and he has probably been invited a
thousand times to take a social glass, he has always had the courage to say no. He uses neither
distilled nor fermented liquors, nor tobacco in any form; has drunk neither tea nor coffee since
eighteen years of age, and for the last fifteen years has eaten only two meals a day. The doctor's
habits are his best physician.
Frances Anna Wood Shimer, the wife of Doctor Shimer, was born in the town of Milton, Sar-
atoga county, New York, August 21, 1826, her parents being Jesse and Rebecca (Bryant) Wood.
She lost her mother in 1836, and four years later, when only fourteen years old, she began teach-
ing. She finished her education at the State Normal School, Albany, and left her native state for
Illinois in the spring of 1853. The year before a bill to incorporate the Mount Carroll Seminary
had passed the legislature and become a law; stock to the amount of about $4,000 had been sub-
scribed, but less than $>i,ooo of it was ever realized in cash, and Misses Frances A. Wood and
Cinderella M. Gregory were appointed teachers. They opened the school in May, 1853, with
eleven pupils, and before the end of the term the number went up to forty. Their school was in
the second story of the only brick business building in town; later they moved up town into a
new brick building, erected for seminary purposes, and which was forty-two by forty-six feet, and
two stories high. It was dedicated October 24, 1854. The five acres of ground on which the
building stood were subsequently increased to about twenty-five; the original campus was im-
proved until it became an Eden of beauty, and the building which these teachers had purchased
received two additions while they were laboring in concert.
Up to 1864 the seminary had been open to both sexes; since that date it has been used for
212 UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY,
females exclusively. A second charter was obtained in 1867, naming Mrs. Shimer and Miss Greg-
ory as sole corporators.
When Miss Gregory came to Mount Carroll she had $80 to put into the institution; in 1870
she retired with $10,000, and not long afterward became the wife of Rev. L. L. Lansing, now pas-
tor of the Baptist Church at Beloit, Wisconsin. Miss Ada C. Joy took Miss Gregory's place, as
associate principal, a happy selection.
When, in 1867 the second addition to the seminary was completed, forty by one hundred feet,
and four stories high, it was thought by many that the last brick had been laid, but in 1876 Mrs.
Shimer added the main building, and nearly doubled the capacity of the seminary. When these
several additions were made, Mrs. Shimer was her own architect, and drew her own plans.
The sanitary arrangements here are perfect, the whole surroundings are charming, the corps
of teachers is large, they are experienced educators, and the institution offers facilities for
instruction equal to any seminary of the kind in this part of the country. Determined to keep
pace with the progress of the age, in January, 1878, Mrs. Shimer introduced a department of tel-
egraphy, for the benefit of young women who wish to prepare themselves for something that may
enable them to be self-sustaining. One of the beautiful features of this school is its manual labor
department for the benefit of poor girls, which averages about thirty pupils. Some of the best
scholars and most brilliant women here educated were in that department.
A writer in a Chicago newspaper thus speaks of this school:
"The Seminary, now in its thirtieth year, is gathering power as it ripens in years. It was
never so strong in its influence as at the present time. Every year not only adds to its alumni,
but to its popularity. Its graduates go abroad to praise it, and by their deportment and scholar-
ship, to honor it. The more young ladies that can come under the influence and receive the mental
discipline of the Mount Carroll Seminary, the better."
The Mount Carroll Seminary owes its splendid success and its high standing to the very able
manner in which it has been managed. Mrs. Shimer has no beggars for it, has never asked a
cent of anybody, has never solicited patronage of any one, nor employed an agent to canvass for
pupils. The school stands on its own merits. The writer of this sketch has watched its growth
for the last twenty years; has marked its wide-spread influence and usefulness with much grati-
fication, and is glad to know that there is at least one queenly financier in the state of Illinois.
ANDREW J. McGLUMPHY, D.D.
THE president of Lincoln University, whose name heads this sketch, is a native of Washing-
ton county, Pennsylvania, dating his birth June 2, 1831. His father, Samuel McGlum-
phy, a farmer, was born in the same county, in 1799. His grandfather, John McGlumphy, was a
soldier in the American revolutionary army. The family was from the North of Ireland. The
mother of our subject, Nancy (Allen) McGlumphy, was from the same country (the county of
Monahan), and her ancestors held property entailed upon them by William, Prince of Orange.
Mr. McGlumphy was educated at Waynesburgh College, Greene county, Pennsylvania, being
graduated in 1858,33 valedictorian of his class. He was immediately elected professor of ancient
languages in the same institution, and occupied that chair one year, when he accepted the princi-
palship of Mount Zion Seminary, Macon county, Illinois, and held that position for seven years.
He was ordained in 1859, and was a short time pastor of a church at Prosperity. In 1866 he resigned
the principalship to accept the chair of mathematics in the Lincoln University, then just starting,
and which he aided in organizing, and of which he was vice-president. At the end of seven years,
on the death of President J. C. Bowden, D.D., Professor McGlumphy succeeded him (1873), and
is filling the chair of mental and moral philosophy.
President McGlumphy, it is here seen, has been a member of the faculty from the start, and
UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY. 2 13
he has seen the institution expand into truly manly proportions. During the first year the num-
ber of students hardly reached one hundred, now it is fully two hundred and fifty, and the univer-
sity is growing in popularity and usefulness every year.
President McGlumphy is a man of fine scholarship and industrious habits. His tastes are
purely intellectual. He possesses fine self-control, and governs with ease and dignity. He is sel-
dom austere, and never implacable. He is modest and simple in his style. As a teacher he has
but few equals. His methods are mostly original. He always masters the subject to be taught,
and never appears before a class without special preparation. He has followed teaching since his
boyhood, and may be called a master of the art. Few men develop a greater interest among their
pupils than he. As a public speaker he is far above ordinary. He prepares all his public dis-
courses with great labor, and delivers them with fine effect.
In August, 1873, two months after his elevation to the presidency of Lincoln University, our
subject received from his alma mater the honorary degree of doctor of divinity, which title is all
the more complimentary, inasmuch as he never attended a theological seminary. He has taught
the classics, the physical sciences, the mathematics, mental and moral philosophy, and seems to
be a general student, master of almost every branch of learning usually taught in colleges.
As far as we can ascertain, Mr. McGlumphy has always been a hard worker. When a student
in Pennsylvania he was elected county superintendent of schools, and held that office for three
years, giving his time also on Saturdays to the examination of teachers. Since coming to this
state he was at one period a member of the state board of examiners.
He is, and has long been a frequent contributor to the press of his denomination, the Cumber-
land Presbyterian, and his writings thus published are quite voluminous. It is understood, we
believe, that he has more or less material partially arranged, which may some day be put in book
form. The whole appearance of the man is that of one whose life has been given to books and to
deep thinking. He has lectured before teacher's institutes in Pennsylvania and Illinois, and on
literary subjects in various parts of the country, and his productions of this class all bear the
impress of a thoroughly disciplined and well stored mind.
President McGlumphy was married in 1860 to Emeline, daughter of Aaron Heaton, of Seneca,
Ohio, and they have seven children living and have buried one daughter.
EDWARD Y. GRIGGS.
DWARD YOUNG GRIGGS, one of the older class of merchants in La Salle county, and a
noteworthy representative of that class, was born in the city of Baltimore, Maryland, Octo-
ber 24, 1820, his parents being Ebenezer and Hepzebeth (Bartholomew) Griggs. Both were of
pure New England stock, and of English lineage.
The father of Edward was a foundryman and an ingenious machinist, the inventor of the gov-
ernor to a steam engine, and died at Cincinnati in 1823, leaving three children, all quite young,
Edward being only three years old. Two or three days after the death of Ebenezer Griggs, Rev.
William Gray, hearing of the children's loss, and not wishing to have them separated, adopted
the whole of thtm, and reared them in a most exemplary manner, giving Edward, however, only
a moderate education, although enough, with the additions which he afterward made, for business
Rev. William Gray married a sister of General Mitchell, the astronomer, Cincinnati, where she
died many years ago. Mr. Gray died in Ottawa, and both are buried at Springfield, Ohio.
From Cincinnati the children were taken to Lebanon, and subsequently to Springfield, Ohio,
where Edward became a clerk in a dry-goods store. There he remained until 1849, when he came
to Ottawa, holding here also for a year and a half a clerkship in the dry-goods store of J. Y. Nat-
tinger. In September, 1851, Mr. Griggs opened a drug store, putting up the sign of E. Y. Griggs,
214 UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
and his is the only sign that was here thirty-two years ago that has not been changed. Such is
the mutation of things in this fluctuating, changing young West. Commercial tornadoes have
swept over prairie land, and tens of thousands of mercantile traders have gone down before the
blasts, but Mr. Griggs has always maintained his perpendicularity, and been able to keep square
with the world. This is owing to the fact, no doubt, that he has never ventured into deep water,
and has managed his business with prudence and careful foresight, and with a reasonable degree
of economy. He has held, we believe, no civil office, but is an Odd-Fellow and past grand repre-
sentative of the grand lodge of the state.
Mr. Griggs married in 1847 Miss Mary Barnett, of Charleston, Indiana, and they have had
four children, all still living: Lavinia, the oldest child, is with her parents; Allen G. is a manu-
facturer of patent medicines, Ottawa; Oakley has a drug and book store at Streator, La Salle
county, and Clarence is a lawyer at Ottawa. The wife and daughter of Mr. Griggs are members
of the Congregational Church, of which he is a liberal supporter.
LEWIS P. LOTT.
HE subject of this sketch is the son of Zephaniah Lott and Permilla (Phelps) Lott, and was
born in Covert, Seneca county, New York, August 5, 1813. His mother was English descent,
and his father Holland, or Pennsylvania Dutch. He moved from Pennsylvania into New York,
and married. True to the instincts of his phlegmatic ancestors, he lived on one farm sixty years,
and died at the age of seventy-five, his wife following him at eighty. The Lotts are a long-lived
race, his paternal grandsire dying at the age of one hundred and four, and his grandmother at
one hundred and six.
At the age of thirteen Lewis went into the office of an anti-masonic paper, at Canandaigua, On-
tario county, New York, called the "Ontario Phoenix." This was in the spring of 1826, at the
time of the great anti-masonic excitement, occasioned by the the abduction of Morgan. He
remained in Canandaigua for a period of six years, following his occupation very successfully in
various newspaper offices of the place, but after mastering his trade he went to Cleveland, Ohio,
in 1832, and worked two years as journeyman printer there. He then, in company with General
A. S. Sanford, bought out the printing office, and for eight years did a thriving business. The
style of the firm was Sanford and Lott, and besides doing a general job printing business, book
and newspaper work, they dealt largely in books, stationery, printing material, paper, etc., and
for several years their business was very successful.
In 1842, however, he sold out to his partner, and removed. to near Kirtland, Ohio, where he
engaged in manufacturing pumps, pails, tubs, household furniture, etc. The change, however,
was not a profitable one, as he sunk about all the capital he had before he sold out. He had not,
however, seriously impaired his fortune by the venture, and removing to Warren, Trumbull county,
he engaged in general merchandising. For two years he kept a large store of a general assortment
of goods, and made money, but at the end of that time, in 1846, he was burned out. He was,
however, fully insured, and beyond the delay and interruption of business, sustained no special loss.
In the summer of that year he moved to Racine, Wisconsin, and for two years more followed
the same business. In the spring of 1848, however, he moved once more and for the last time,
bringing his goods to Morris, and opening up a general assortment here. That fall and the fol-
lowing summer he erected a plain, substantial residence, in which he has resided with his family
up to the present time.
In 1860 Mr. Lott sold out his goods to his partner, Horace Hurlburd, and retired from the busi-
ness with a competence. His life, however, could not be spent in idleness. He was but forty-seven
years old, and full of energy and activity, and he accepted the position of deputy clerk of the cir-
cuit court of Grundy county, and for eight years managed the affairs of that office with rare skill
UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY. 215
Mr. Lott possesses unusual business tact and ability, and every business he touches rapidly
assumes an orderly, systematic and prosperous condition under his hands. Hence, although busy
with his own affairs, he was forced from time to time to serve his fellow citizens iii various posi-
tions of trust. In 1856 he was elected chairman of the board of supervisors, and served three
years. For fourteen or fifteen years he was a member of the board of aldermen, and in 1870 was
elected justice of the peace, and has held the office ever since.
As treasurer of the school board he administered its finances successfully for several years. As
a Mason Mr. Lott has also been forced to act in almost every official position in the three
degrees of Master Mason, Royal Arch and Knight Templar. He served as worshipful master
of Cedar Lodge, No. 124, of A.F.A.M.; was high priest of Royal Arch Chapter, and held every
office in Blaney Commandery, No. 5, K.T. He was also for some years a prominent Odd-Fellow,
but withdrew several years ago.
In politics Mr. Lott is a republican, dyed in the wool, having passed through the various pre-
paratory stages of the abolition, whig and free-soil parties, but while active in political matters,
and of pronounced opinions upon every question, cannot be called a politician. He has never
sought office, and has served only when it was thrust upon him.
In 1844 Mr. Lott married Miss Delia Lloyd Clark, in Cleveland, Ohio. The ceremony was
performed on Washington's birth-day, February 22, by Rev. W. Walden, Baptist minister. Four
sons were the fruit of that union, three of whom he has had the grief to lay away in death, but
his eldest, Edward L. Lott, now a man thirty-six years of age, is engaged in business at Grand
In 1874 Mr. Lott took a trip to the western coast, and spent a few months visiting the places
of interest in that fascinating region. With this exception the last few years of his life have been
spent in the quiet enjoyment of his home in Morris, in the company of his wife, a lady still in the
possession of good health. He has long since laid by an ample competence for his declining
years; has a portion of it invested in two fine farms south of the river, and amuses himself by an
occasional visit to them. Although, sixty-nine years old Mr. Lott is straight as an arrow, in full
health and vigor, and bids fair to survive many years.
CHARLES SPEARS AND SON.
THE oldest mercantile house in Morrison is that of Charles Spears and Son, which was
founded in 1857 by William and Charles Spears, with the firm name of Spears and Brother,
who kept a stock of general merchandise, and who had previously been in trade together in Pitts-
burgh, Carroll county, Indiana. In 1867 John Snyder was taken into the firm, and its name
changed to Spears and Company. In 1870 Mr. Snyder sold out his interest to W. W. Wilcox, who
retired in 1873. William Spears had died the year previous, and when Mr. Wilcox went out, the