has made it the handsomest farm in the state of Illinois, for enough to pay every cent of the
mortgage and interest, to hand the widow $1,450, and to retain a moderate fee for himself.
Residing in the twentieth ward in the war times, and it being apparent that three-quarters of
UNITED STATES KIOGKAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
the population were foreign-born, and that, therefore, a draft for soldiers on the basis of the
whole would take about all the natives, he undertook to get British protection before the draft,
and have all alien names stricken from the muster roll. At length the British consul, J. Edward
Wilkins, was disposed to review his proceedings. He, therefore, after some correspondence with
Provost Marshal General Fry, had a draft of fact adopted by the general government, which
eliminated the consul as well as the fee to the British exchequer. His argument in the Robinson
will case is well remembered; his success in the twenty-eight ejectment cases, which resulted in
locating Fourteenth street, as well as his adjustment of the much involved title of the lands which
now in perfect title constitute Ravenswood and Rogers Park, received encouraging mention. Mr.
Kendig and the late G. W. Thompson were office companions for twelve years.
While Mr. Kendig is not now frequently before the courts, he is, after twenty-one years close
attention to professional duty, in the possession of a commanding, lucrative and altogether envi-
able practice. His modest home is a very model of all that that sacred name indicates.
WILLIAM KERNS, a resident of Moline for nearly thirty years, is a son of Simon and Eliz-
abeth (Ocheltree) Kerns, and was born in East Marlborough, Chester county, Pennsylva-
nia, July 4, 1820. His father was born in the same place, and his mother in Newcastle county,
Delaware. The great-grandfather, Thomas Kerns, came from Ireland ; married in Chester
county, and there his son, William Kerns, for whom our subject was named, was born. The
family were Quakers, and hence took no part in the rebellion against England in 1775. Doctor
Robert Bines, the maternal grandfather of Elizabeth Ocheltree, was a surgeon in the continental
Mr. Kerns received an ordinary English education, to which he added more or less in after
years by private study; moved with the family to Salem, Columbiana county, Ohio, in 1834, and
was engaged in farming until thirty-three years of age. In May, 1842, he married Miss Beulah
Shinn, of Salem, and in the autumn of 1853 brought his family to this part of the country, and
after prospecting a short time in Iowa, settled in Moline.
Mr. Kerns brought a team with him from Ohio, and was ready for any kind of work at which
he could make an honest living. He commenced by teaming at whatever he could get to do, and
among other things helped to deliver the ties on seven miles of the west end of the Chicago and
Rock Island railroad, then being nearly completed. Before leaving Ohio he had partially learned
the carpenter trade of his father, who was a mechanic as well as farmer, and he did more or less
at that business for a few years.
Mr. Kerns was clerk of the village corporation of Moline from 1858 to 1861, and postmaster
from the last date to 1869, with the exception of a short time during the early part of the admin-
istration of President Johnson. In 1865 he became connected with Candee, Swan and Company,
afterward the Moline Plow Company, working in the shops, and traveling at times in its inter-
ests, collecting accounts, and always attending to its legal business, which was very important,
and he remained in that connection until February, 1881. For the greater part o'f the time from
February, 1867, till he closed his relationship with the company, he had charge of the defense of
some of the most important suits that have ever been commenced in Illinois, involving as they
did hundreds of thousands of dollars, most of them being brought for alleged infringements of
patents and trade-marks. In these the company was very fortunate, never having a decree against
it. Mr. Kerns is just now acting as executor and trustee of the late Robert K. Swan, who was one
of the originators of the Moline Plow Company, and an esteemed friend of Mr. Kerns.
Mr. Kerns has lived a somewhat quiet, unobtrusive life, holding no office, we believe, since he
left the postoffice. He has always been deeply interested in politics, and was a free soiler from
246 UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY. '
the time that slavery began to be a prominent question in politics. He indorsed the Buffalo
platform in 1848, and voted for Van Buren and Adams that year; for John P. Hale in 1852, and
with the republican party since its formation, excepting in 1872.
Mr. Kerns has long been a strong advocate of temperance; has himself always been a man
of excellent habits, and hence, as might be expected, is well preserved. His integrity has never
been questioned by people who know him.
As the fruits of the marriage already mentioned, Mr. and Mrs. Kerns have had four children,
all sons, losing two of them. Anson, the third child, was taken sick when the family were immi-
grating to Illinois, and died at Massillon, Ohio; George H., the eldest son, was killed at the bat-
tle of Stone River, December 31, 1862; Simon A. is married, and connected with the Buford Plow
Company, at Rock Island, residing at Moline, and Charles Sumner is a student at Eastman's
Commercial College, Poughkeepsie, New York.
CAPTAIN JOHN M. ADAIR.
JOHN M. ADAIR, who has charge of the department of indexes and archives in the office of
the secretary of state, is a native of Franklin county, Pennsylvania, dating his birth May 11,
1840. His parents were Samuel H. and Susan (Ottenbarger) Adair. When he was eight years
old the family moved to Carroll county, in this state, where he remained on his father's farm
until seventeen years of age, when he became a clerk in a store at Mount Carroll. In that situa-
tion he was found when the war broke out, and his patriotic instincts led him to offer his services
to his country. He enlisted as a private in company E, 45th regiment Illinois infantry; was mus-
tered in at Mount Carroll. September 14, 1861, and was promoted to first sergeant in November
following, and to second lieutenant on the first day of the following month. His regiment was
at first in the army of the Mississippi, under General Grant, and participated in the capture of
Fort Donelson, and in both days' fight at Pittsburgh Landing. During the summer of 1862 our
subject was stationed at Jackson, Tennessee, his regiment being detailed to guard the railroad
lines which communicated with General Grant's army and furnished transportation for supplies.
Early in November the regiment broke camp at Jackson, and participated in the Mississippi
campaign to Oxford, under General Grant, and about that time our subject was promoted to first
lieutenant of his company.
The gallant 45th participated in the memorable siege and capture of Vicksburg, being
attached to Logan's division of McPherson's i7th army corps, and during that siege Lieutenant
Adair was promoted to the rank of captain, vice Fisk, promoted. The summer of 1863 found him
on detached service as assistant provost marshal at Vicksburg, having charge of river transpor-
tation, etc. In the autumn following that regiment veteranized; the next spring had a furlough
of thirty days, and Captain Adair being relieved from his post of duty already mentioned, returned
to Carroll county with the veterans.
In April, 1864, he and the regiment returned to duty, being attached to the ijth army corps,
General F. P. Blair, commander, General McPherson having been placed in command of the
army of the Tennessee, and shared in the dangers and glories of the Atlanta campaign.
The health of Captain Adair failing, a little before the close of the war he resigned; returned
to Mount Carroll, and was deputy circuit clerk until 1868, serving meantime, during the previous
winter, as assistant secretary of the state senate. In the summer of 1868 he purchased an inter-
est in the " Carroll County Gazette," at Lanark, and was its joint publisher, with J. R. Howlett,
till the spring of 1871, serving meantime, in the session of 1869, as enrolling and engrossing clerk
of the senate. On disposing of his interest in the "Gazette," he purchased the Mount Carrol!
" Mirror," and conducted it with ability until the summer of 1874, when, in July, he left newspa-
per life to take his present position in the index department of the secretary of state's office.
UNITED STATES KIOCKAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
That position he has held steadily from that date, with the exception of the winter of 1881, when
he was chief clerk of the secretary of the state.
Most of these facts in regard to Captain Adair we glean from the " History of Sangamon
County," in which work it is further stated that until he took charge of the department, the files
" were in utter confusion, and the records without the means of reference. Out of this disorder
and confusion," continues the same writer, "system and order have been wrought, and it is
doubtful if any state in the Union has a better system of indexes and records than Illinois." The
writer of this sketch has long known Captain Adair, and the thoroughness of his work in this
branch of the state department is an index of the thoroughness of any labor which he undertakes.
Nothing slip-shod passes out of his hands.
He married, in November, 1878, Rebecca T., daughter of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Halderman,
of Mount Carroll, now both deceased. Mr. Halderman was the founder of the city of Mount
Carroll, in 1840, and was actively engaged in business there from that time until his death, which
occurred in June, 1880. Mrs. Adair was born in Mount Carroll, and until her marriage knew no
REV. FRANKLIN B. IVES, M.D.
FRANKLIN BENEDICT IVES, physician and preacher, is a son of Almon Ives, farmer and
practical surveyor, and Nancy (Tomlin) Ives, and was born in the town of Ellery, Chautau-
qua county, New York, April 30, 1823. His father was born in Vermont, and descended from an
old Connecticut family. His grandfather, Enos Ives, was one of the minute men at the battle of
Lexington, and his paternal grandmother was a relative of General Ethan Allen, so that he came
of good patriotic fighting stock.
In 1834 Almon Ives emigrated from western New York to Illinois, and settled in what is now
Kendall county, Illinois. He died in 1865 at Amboy, Illinois, his wife dying four years earlier.
Our subject worked on his father's farm until twenty years of age, receiving an academic edu-
cation; studied medicine with his uncle, Isaac Ives; attended two courses of lectures at Rush
Medical College, Chicago, and after practicing a year or two at Lamoille, Bureau county, took a
third course of lectures at Rush, and received the degree of doctor of medicine in 1850.
Doctor Ives was in practice a short time at Pavilion and about four years at Lamoille; then
removed to Princeton, and while there, in 1854, was ordained and became the pastor of the Bap-
tist Church, giving his whole time to pastoral work.
Doctor Ives went thence to Tiskilwa, where he remained for twelve years, preaching and
practicing medicine most of the time. While there he organized and by Divine aid built up a
church of two hundred members. He also organized the Berean Church, at Westfield, fifteen
miles from Tiskilwa, which soon had fifty or sixty members, and has always been self-sus-
taining. He also reconstructed the Baptist Church at Dover, and had the satisfaction of seeing
it fairly on its feet and self-supporting.
In 1870 Doctor Ives returned to Princeton, building and dedicating a $10,000 house of wor-
ship, and doing some office and general work as a physician. During his first two years at
Princeton he divided his time between that place and Earlville, where he also built a church, both
houses being dedicated substantially free from debt.
After doing two men's work, physician and minister, for many years, Doctor Ives had to finally
relinguish his pastorate on account of the state of his health. He settled in Chicago in 1875, and
is here attending very closely to medical practice in general, yet making a specialty for the last
seven or eight years of diseases of the lower bowels, such as piles, fistula, irritable ulcers, strict-
ures, etc. By special study of this class of diseases he has acquired great skill, and is having
eminent success. But the doctor loves preaching too well to wholly abandon it. Many of his
Sundays are spent in the country, and he has served Baptist churches at Waukegan, Crystal Lake,
248 UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
Wilmette and Oak Park regularly for several months at a time, the church at Oak Park for sixteen
months. He is a sound, earnest and able preacher, and greatly esteemed by his very large circle
of friends. He holds his connection with the First Baptist Church of this city.
Doctor Ives married in October, 1847, Miss Frances Luce, of Pavilion, Kendall county, Illi-
nois, and they have four children, one son and three daughters: Frank is an attorney at law, Chi-
cago; Alice is the wife of F. W. Breed, a prominent shoe manufacturer, Lynn, Massachusetts,
and Nellie and Frances May are at home. The former is a stenographer an expert in the art.
ROSWELL B. MASON.
MR. MASON, ex-mayor of Chicago, is a native of New Hartford, Oneida county, New York,
where he was born September 19, 1805. He is the fifth child in a family of seven sons
and six daughters, of whom five are living at this time, April, 1883 His ancestors were a remarka-
bly vigorous and long lived race. His grandfather, Levi Mason, lived to the great age of ninety-
eight, and his father, Arnold Mason, to the age of eighty-four. He is himself, at the age of
seventy-eight, strong and well, and engaged in active business, and worthily illustrates his family
characteristics. Levi Mason, originally a resident of the colony of Rhode Island, removed with
his family at an early day to western Massachusetts, and settled at Cheshire, in Berkshire county.
He was a soldier of the revolution, and did his duty faithfully and fearlessly in that great struggle.
Arnold Mason, his eldest son, when he came to manhood, journeyed westward along the fertile
Mohawk Valley, and established himself on a farm in the county of Oneida, in the state of New
York. He was a captain in our army in the war of 1812, and many, incidents of that contest the
subject of this sketch distinctly remembers. Until about thirteen years of age Mr. Mason spent
his winters in the common district school and his summers on the farm. He then entered the
academy at New Hartford, where he remained for two years more. In the summer of 1821 his
father took a contract to furnish stone for the locks on the Erie canal, nine miles above Albany,
and during that summer and the following winter Mr. Mason, then a boy of sixteen, drove a team
employed in hauling stone a distance of twenty miles. This work made him acquainted with
Edward F. Gay, the assistant engineer in charge of the construction of the canal from Albany
to the crossing of the Mohawk River. In the spring of 1822 this gentleman offered him a situa-
tion as rodman in his engineering party. Mr. Mason accepted this position, and it proved to be
the beginning of his life's work as a civil engineer. He remained with Mr. Gay until the com-
pletion of the Erie canal work, in the fall of 1823. In the spring of 1824 he went with Major
Beach, the chief engineer, and E. F. Gay, his assistant, to the Schuylkill canal, with headquarters
at Reading, Pennsylvania. In the latter part of August this employment was terminated by sick-
ness, and he returned to his home at New Hartford. Recovering, however, soon after, he joined
an engineering party organized by Holmes Hutchinson, of Utica, New York, to make a survey of
a canal from Lake Champlain, through the northern counties of New York, to the Saint Law-
rence River, at Ogdensburgh. This undertaking was finished late in the fall, and he spent the
winter in Utica, making maps and estimates for the proposed improvement. In the spring of
1825 he rejoined his old employers, Major Beach and E. F. Gay, on the Morris canal, in New
Jersey, making headquarters for some time at Morristown. After a few months Mr. Gay resigned
his position as principal assistant engineer, and Mr. Mason took his place. He was connected
with this work for six years continuously, and during the latter part of that period was chief
engineer and superintendent of the canal. In the spring of 1831 he once more joined Mr. Gay,
and as his principal assistant was engaged in the construction of the Pennsylvania canal, or that
part of it extending from Huntingdon to Hollidaysburgh, on the east side of the Allegheny Moun-
tains. On September 6 of this year he was married to Miss Harriet L. Hopkins, daughter of
Royal Hopkins, of Parsippany, New Jersey. After a wedding tour to his parents' home in New
H C. Ciinpr Jr. & Co.
UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
Hartford, he took his bride to Williamsburgh, in Pennsylvania, on the line of the canal on which
he was engaged, where he remained till near the close of the year 1832. The work being then
completed he returned to New Jersey, and spent the winter at his father-in-law's home, in Par-
sippany. Early in the spring of 1833 he was appointed by the Morris Canal and Banking Com-
pany superintendent of the Morris canal, extending from Newark across New Jersey to Easton,
in Pennsylvania. He retained this position for four years, or until the spring of 1837, when he
took charge of the construction of a feeder from the Pompton River, and of a large reservoir at
Long Pond, one of its sources.
The winter of 1836-7 was spent in making a survey for the Housatonic railroad, extending
from Bridgeport, Connecticut, to New Milford, and up the Housatonic Valley to the north line of
the state, at North Canaan. The era of canals was passing away, and the more wonderful one of
railroads had begun. The first locomotive engine ever built was manufactured and used on an
English tramway in the very year in which Mr. Mason was born, 1805. It was only an experi-
ment, and the driving-wheels were cogged to prevent slipping. In 1830 the locomotive was first
made with plain wheels, and came into practical use on the Liverpool and Manchester railway.
In the spring of 1829 rail, iron and locomotives were imported from England by the Delaware
and Hudson Canal Company for a road from their coal mines to Honesdale. In 1828 the Balti-
more and Ohio railroad was begun; in 1830 the Hudson and Mohawk, from Albany to Schenectady,
was built. In the legislative session of 1830-1 not fewer than twelve railroad companies were
incorporated in Pennsylvania, mostly for operation in the coal regions. The Housatonic railroad
was one of the longest and earliest built of any of the primitive roads of our country. Work
began on it in the spring of 1837, under the management of Mr. Mason, who had been appointed
chief engineer. In the spring of 1838 he moved to Bridgeport, Connecticut, where he remained
as engineer and superintendent for a period of ten years, or until 1848, meanwhile extending the
road to West Stockbridge, Massachusetts, to a connection with the Boston and Albany railroad,
at the state line near that place. During the year 1847 he was consulting engineer of the Nauga-
tuck railroad, extending from Bridgeport to Waterbury, in Connecticut. In the spring of 1848
he became chief engineer of the New York and New Haven railroad, which was completed in
the fall of 1849, when he was appointed its superintendent, and held that office for the next two
years. During the year 1850 he also had charge of the construction of the Vermont Valley rail-
road, from Brattleboro to Bellows Falls.
Mr. Mason came west in the spring of 1851, and took charge of the construction of the Illinois
Central railroad, which he completed in October, 1856. After its completion he resigned his
position as chief engineer, and took charge as contractor of a road running west seventy miles
from Dubuque, Iowa, In the spring of 1857 he moved his family to Dubuque, where he remained
till the failure of the company compelled him to abandon the enterprise, after completing forty
miles of the road and partly grading the balance. He resumed his residence in Chicago in the
spring of 1859. The year previously he had taken with Magill and Denton a contract to grade
forty-two miles of the Minneapolis and Cedar Valley railroad, from the north line of Iowa to
Owatonna, Minnesota. Work continued on this road till the spring of 1859, when this company
also failed, and the enterprise was abandoned. In that year he took, in company with Magill,
Denton, Kieth and Snell, a contract to grade twenty miles of the Racine and Mississippi railroad,
near Freeport, which was completed in a few months.
In 1860 he became superintendent of the Chicago and Alton railroad, and in 1861 was
appointed comptroller of the land department of the Illinois Central Railroad Company, which
position he retained till August i, 1867. He then took charge of the construction of the Dunlieth
and Dubuque bridge, which was completed in December, 1868. While at the head of the land
department of the Illinois Central railroad, in 1865, he and William Gooding were appointed by
the legislature of Illinois members of the board of public works in Chicago, on behalf of the
state, to take charge of the lowering of the summit of the Illinois and Michigan canal. He dis-
charged the duties of this place till November, 1869, when he resigned the office to enter upon
252 UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
the duties of mayor of Chicago, to which he had been elected for two years. His administration
proved to be one of the purest and most satisfactory Chicago had ever known. Toward its close
occurred the most memorable event in the history of the city, the great fire of October, 1871.
He discharged the onerous responsibilities so suddenly placed upon him by this terrible catastro-
phe with a wisdom and energy which won universal admiration and praise. From the court-
house, burning over his head, he sent telegrams to Milwaukee, Detroit and other points for all
the fire engines they could spare, and not till the great bell on its roof came crashing down
through its floors to the ground, and the structure was a mass of smoke and flame, did he leave
his post. When it was seen that the city was doomed a single sentence from his pen went east-
ward over the wires, and was cabled to every part of the civilized world: "Before morning one
hundred thousand people will be without food and shelter. Can you help us?"
That appeal and the noble response which came to it from all parts of the earth, where civil-
ized men dwell, has become historic. As never before, the diverse and antagonistic races of men
felt that they all belonged to a 'common brotherhood, having one father, Adam, and one Maker,
God. But when the generous contributions of food, clothing and money came pouring in from
every quarter, it became a question of the gravest character how best to 'manage their distribution
to the needy. Vigorous efforts were made to place this matter in the charge of the city common
council, and ingenious arguments were used to show that it legally belonged to that body alone.
But there was in the city an organization known as the Relief and Aid Society, of the highest
character and efficiency, with all of the machinery requisite for the proper transaction of this
most important work. After careful deliberation Mayor Mason decided, upon his own responsi-
bility, to intrust to that society all moneys and supplies received by him for the benefit of the
people of Chicago. That act proved one of the wisest of his administration, for the ability and
integrity with which that society discharged its great trust has become a matter of history.
One other act rendered necessary by the chaotic state of affairs was harshly criticised by some
in authority at the time, whose powers they fancied he had usurped, but its wisdom has been
fully justified by the cooler judgment of later times. Immediately after the fire, before the embers
had ceased to smoke, while the unprotected vaults and safes of the ruined city invited the attempts
of the Unscrupulous, Mayor Mason received telegrams from all parts of the country advising him
that the thieves and thugs of the country were pouring in unbroken streams toward Chicago.