were Joseph Scales, millwright, and Elizabeth Eggleston (Bennett) Scales. His maternal grand-
father, an Irishman by birlh, and educaled for a physician and surgeon in London, England, came
to this country prior to the revolution, and was a surgeon in thai war, dying in his son-in-law's
house in Kenlucky, 1812.
When our subjecl was Ihree months old the family moved from Virginia, and in 1809 setlled
in Chrislian counly, Kentucky, on a farm near Hopkinsville, on Lillle River, where Walter was
engaged in farming, raising and slripping lobacco for his father lill nineleen years of age, altend-
ing school usually during ihe winlers. Delermined to have more education, which his falher al
UNITED STATES RIOCRA FJflCA /, DICTIONARY. 69!
first failed to give him, he left home without his parents' knowledge, and went to Nashville, Ten-
nessee, where he entered a printing office. His father keeping track of him, and seeing the son
was determined to study one of the professions, finally sent for him and made arrangements for
him to take a course in law.
Not long afterward, we find our subject in the law office of Hon. Charles S. Morehead, subse-
quently governor of Kentucky, and in the spring of 1831 he was licensed to practice. He settled
at Frankfort, Franklin county, Illinois, where he remained for five years, serving part of the time
as county surveyor and brigade inspector. In 1836, on being appointed attorney general of the
state, he removed to Vandalia, then the seat of government. November 31, 1836, he married Miss
Mary Ridgeway, daughter of John Ridgeway, formerly of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At the
session of the legislature in 1836, Mr. Scates was elected judge of the third judicial circuit, which
embraced the southern peninsula of the state, extending from Cairo a hundred and twenty miles
northward, and he took up his residence at Shawneetown. In 1.841 a new law went into opera-
tion, requiring the addition of five circuit judges to the supreme court bench, making nine in all,
and Judge Scates was one of the five selected, the other four being Sidney Breese, Thomas Ford,
Samuel H. Treat and Stephen A. Douglas. In that year he removed to Mount Vernon, Jefferson
county, and continued to hold his circuits until January, 1847, when he resigned and resumed the
law practice. In the spring following he was elected to the constitutional convention, and was
chairman of the judiciary committee in that body, a post of honor always assigned to a lawyer.
In 1849 there occurred an episode in the judge's life which did not inure very much to his
pecuniary benefit, and which, we venture to say, he does not even now contemplate with a dis-
tressing amount of complacency. In 1849 he bought an interest in a coal mine at Caseyville, and
helped build a railroad from that point to Saint Louis, the first road constructed with rail in that
part of the state. To these enterprises of opening the mine, and constructing an outlet for its
'precious treasures, he gave four years of hard labor, and in 1853 returned to Mount Vernon, hav-
ing been elected to the supreme court bench to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Hon.
Lyman Trumbull, who was soon afterward elected to the United States senate. In 1857 Judge
Scates again resigned the judgeship, being then chief-justice, and removed to Chicago, where he
-was in the steady practice of the law until the civil war broke out.
In August, 1862, Judge Scates went into the army, commissioned with the rank of major of the
i3th army corps, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel, being on General McClerland's staff. Ap-
pointed by a change of the law, by congress, he was soon assistant adjutant-general, with the rank
of lieutenant-colonel in the I3th army corps, under .General McClerland, and served until Jan-
uary, 1866, when he was mustered out. After coming out he was brevetted successively lieuten-
ant-colonel, colonel and brigadier-general. Says a writer who has long known our subject, "It
would be unjust to history not to state that General Scates, in every post assigned him during the
war, was vigilant, active, faithful, brave and zealous. The officers of the I3th army corps, who
were brought in contact with him, always speak of him as a tried and true soldier. * * *
Courteous and kind to his inferiors, respectful and obedient to his superiors, and though a com-
paratively old man, full of the fire, courage and energy of the younger braves."
General Scates had resumed the practice of his profession in Chicago when, in July, 1866, he
was appointed by President Johnson to the office of collector of customs, Chicago, which position
he held till July i, 1869, when he was turned out by President Grant, under whom he had served
at Vicksburg, in order to make a place for a civilian, a partner of his brother. While collector, he
was also United States depositary, according to the law then in existence, and which was soon
after changed, making that a separate office. In every position, civil as well as military, which
the general has ever held, he has discharged his duties faithfully, and with decided credit to his
judgment as well as abilities. The office of collector requires the most sterling qualities of char-
acter, and these our subject possesses to an eminent degree. No honester man, we believe, lives.
His great abilities were seen to their best advantage when he was on the bench, and when the
exigencies of the hour required that all his logical acumen and mental powers should be brought
692 UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
into exercise. With his dormant energies fairly aroused, his luminous mind fully ablaze, and his
strong judgment brought to bear on a knotty question, one could not but feel that he was indeed
a "natural born lawyer, and that God created him for a judge." It seems a pity that such a man
could not have been kept on the bench. While there he truly adorned it, and his name will be
handed down with the names of Breese, Douglas, Lockwood, Caton, Treat, Lawrence and others,
to the latest generations.
We have already mentioned the marriage of General Scales. His wife, who is still living, is
the mother of ten children, seven of whom still survive, all grown, doing well for themselves.
His present family consists of his wife, two daughters and two sons, at his home in Evanston. The
general still retains his clearness of head, his strong memory and other mental faculties, and is
quietly attending to his professional duties, being very prompt and careful in their discharge.
His friends are numerous, abiding and appreciative, and he has the most cordial esteem of a large
circle of acquaintances.
HON. JESSE EMERSON.
THE subject of this sketch is a son of Jesse and Mary (Stevens) Emerson, and was born in
Newburyport, Massachusetts, March 20, 1824. Both parents were natives of New Hamp-
shire. In 1836 the family came to this state, and settled at French Grove, near Buda. Jesse
Emerson, Sr., was a drover and beef packer at the East, and a farmer in Bureau county, where
both parents died. The son was reared on the farm, receiving meanwhile an academic education
at Princeton, and teaching a school two or three winter terms. He was a clerk in a store at
Tiskilwa a year or two, and was a merchant at Buda for ten years. While thus engaged, he
studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1858, and soon afterward, closing out his mercantile
business, gave his whole attention to the law. He has held various offices, such as magistrate for
a decade or more; supervisor and county judge, the last two positions one term each. He is a
democrat, living in a republican county, and but for his popularity could not be elected to any
Judge Emerson has been a resident of Bureau county for forty-seven years, and is probably
the oldest settler in the village of Buda still living here. He has many warm friends in the
He was married in 1851 to Miss Sarah M. Gushing, and they have had three children, losing
one of them in infancy. Charles W. is a farmer, living in Bureau county, and Minnie F. is at
WILLIAM HOPE DAVIS, M.D.
WILLIAM HOPE DAVIS was born in Genesee county, New York, September i, 1835, his
parents being David and Harriet (Wilder) Davis. His father's ancestors emigrated from
Ireland long before the revolutionary war, and were noted for generations as Protestants and
Free-thinkers. His mother belonged to the well known Wilder family of Massachusetts. When
the subject of this sketch was five years old his parents removed to Michigan, then almost an
uncultivated wilderness. Distinct among the memories of childhood is the recollection of the
howling of wolves about their cabin, of seeing a black bear carry off their only pig from the pen,
of the eyes of wild beasts glowing like coals in the darkness, and occasionally a black nose thrust
between the logs. His father worked at the carpenter's trade in the summer, and at shoemaking
in the winter. At the first-named useful occupation William was put as soon as he was large
enough, working at it except when attending an occasional winter term at the district school.
His father's family being large, it became necessary for William to depend upon himself
UNIVERSITY of ILLINOIS
UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY. 695
early in life. There was "little to earn and many to keep," and at the age of seventeen he left
home to spend a summer in his native state. Hearing much of the Sunny South, he journeyed to
Memphis, Tennessee, where he soon became acquainted with many of the best families in the city.
Here he became a convert to the Christian religion, at the age of nineteen, and united with the
Disciple or Christian church, in which he has ever since lived a devoted and consistent member.
In the year 1854 he commenced the study of medicine under the instruction of Professor Gab-
bett, who had occupied an important position in the Worcester Eclectic Medical College of Mas-
sachusetts. In the winter of 1854-5 he attended a course of lectures in the Memphis College of
Medicine, after which he pursued his studies at Barbees Academy until the spring of 1857, when
he removed to Paris, Texas, and there commenced the practice of his profession, remaining
about two years.
During the summer of 1858 he crossed the plains to California, by way of Mexico, traveling
the entire distance on horseback, and returning late in the autumn of the same year. In August,
1859, he left Texas. Starting from Paris one Monday morning, he arrived in Memphis the next
Tuesday week, having ridden the whole distance (four hundred and seventy-five miles) on a
Texan pony, and slept upon the ground, three hundred miles of the way being through a dense
and almost trackless wilderness. Selling his faithful pony at Memphis, he took the cars for
Hillsboro, Ohio, which place he reached September 7, and on the roth of the same month, was
united in marriage to Miss Rachel Anna Davis, who, although of the same name, was of no rela-
tionship. On the mother's side Miss Davis was a descendant of the celebrated William Penn
family of Pennsylvania.
They have three children living, a son and two daughters. John Scudder, the eldest, has
attended four full courses of lectures at the Eclectic Medical Institute, Cincinnati, and is now
a worthy member of the profession. The daughters are named Millea and Eve.
In the spring of 1860 he bought a book and stationery store in Leesburgh, Ohio, but sold out
in a few months and returned, with his wife, to Memphis. Here political troubles, of which civil
war was soon to be the sad result, made a protracted stay on the part of Doctor Davis inexpedi-
ent, and he soon returned to Cincinnati, Ohio, and went from there to Goodrich, Michigan,
where he successfully practiced medicine, and at the same time conducted a drug store, accumu-
lating several thousand dollars, but greatly impairing his health, owing to extensive night prac-
tice. Here he was drafted for the army, but judging wisely that his services were needed more
at home, and preferring to work for prolonging rather than destroying the lives of others, he was
released upon payment of few hundred dollars. About this time, suffering from a severe
nervous affection, and needing rest and change, it was decided best that he should spend a win-
ter in Cincinnati, which he did, attending meanwhile a full course of medical lectures at the
Eclectic Institute, from which he graduated. Subsequently he recommenced the practice of
medicine at Flora, Clay county, Illinois, but on account of ill health remained only one season,
spending the next in traveling through the eastern states.
Early in 1867 he located permanently in Springfield, where he has been engaged in an exten-
sive practice up to the present time. In 1869 he procured a charter and organized the Illinois
Eclectic Medical Society, of which he has been secretary for five years. He was unanimously
elected editor of the journal of this society, and has acquitted himself in this responsible position
At the meeting of the National Eclectic Medical Association, held in Washington, District of
Columbia, in 1876, Doctor Davis was elected secretary. He has been a large contributor to peri-
odical medical literature, and has read a number of papers before the state and national medical
associations. In 1879 he was a delegate to represent the city of Springfield, at the meeting of
the National Health Association at Richmond, Virginia.
Doctor Davis was one of the first movers for the laws regulating the practice of medicine,
now in force. He has been a member of the Springfield Board of Health for a number of years,
and is regarded by his associates in that board as a very valuable member.
696 t'Nf '/'/:/> .vy. / '//:.<; RIOGKATIUCAI. IIICIIONAKY.
Doctor Davis' experiences have been varied, and he is eminently a self-made man, having suf-
fered the privations incident to poverty and pioneer life, and having laboriously earned his
education. From a child the dream of his ambition was to become a physician. His pockets
were stuffed with bottles when in the pride of his first trowsers, and his youthful experiments in
surgery and the healing art were practiced on frogs and itinerant cats. In his youthful days he
has camped with savages in Michigan, in the Indian Territory and in Texas; has become familiar
witli the Spaniards in Mexico, and has studied the character of the Chinaman in California. He
has crossed the plains four times, twice on horseback and twice on the cars ; has traveled through
all the South except Florida, and has a desire to see the whole world. He is industrious from
principle, believing it far better to labor with no remuneration than to be idle. In his practice
he has always been ready to attend the meritorious poor, with no hope of reward save in the final
plaudit, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, ye have done it unto Me."
DANIEL L. SHOREY.
THE bar of Chicago contains in its list a number of prominent men who hail from the Pine
Tree State, and one of the foremost among them is Daniel Lewis Shorey, who was born at
Jonesborough, Washington county, January 31, 1824. He comes of the very, best revolutionary
stock, his grandfather, John Shorey. enlisting as a private at the age of nineteen, taking part in
the battle of Bunker Hill and serving until the close of the war, being part of the time a member
of General Washington's body guard. The father of our subject, Joseph Shorey, a native of
Wolfborough, New Hampshire, went to Maine while it was a part of Massachusetts, and was there
engaged in agricultural pursuits. He served for many years as a justice of the peace, being one
of the first appointed for the state of Maine, and was a man of more than ordinary intelligence
and influence, being well read in English literature and the politics of the day. He married
Sylvia Hall, a native of Washington county, Maine, and a descendant, on her mother's side, of
the Mortons of Massachusetts.
Mr. Shorey prepared for college at Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts, and was gradu-
ated with honors at Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, class of '51. He commenced
reading law in Washington, District of Columbia, where he also taught the classics for two years
in the Rittenhouse Academy, finishing his legal studies at the Dane Law School, Cambridge,
Massachusetts, and being admitted to the bar in 1854 in Boston. 'There he practiced one year,
and then removed to Davenport, Iowa, where he was in extensive practice for ten years. While
there, he was a partner for some years of General J. B. Leake, now United States district attorney,
Chicago. He was city attorney of Davenport from 1862 to 1865, and president, about the same
time, of the city school board. He had greatly endeared himself to the friends of education
while a resident of that progressive hawkeye city, and when he left it was a loss seriously felt,
especially by the better class of people.
Mr. Shorey removed from Iowa to Chicago in the summer of 1865, and entered at once upon
the practice of law. He had at one period James S. Norton for a partner; at another, Benjamin
M. Shaffner, and latterly he has been alone. He practices in the civil courts exclusively, with a
strong leaning to chancery practice.
One of the weekly religious papers of Chicago thus spoke not long ago of our subject as a
Mr. Shorey 's training at that best school, the bar, has been unusually broad, and no lawyer in the city to-day has
a better or more genial knowledge of every branch of practice, or is better equipped and able to handle successfully
any case that may come into his hands, than he. His fine natural abilities have been rounded out by his thorough
education and wide practice, and the law of natural selection has operated to give him one of the most lucrative and
satisfactory legal businesses in the city.
One of the best features in the character of Mr. Shorey is his great activity in certain kinds of
UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY. 697
public work, particularly in library matters. He drafted the first public-library law ever presented
to the legislature of Illinois, and the impress of his mind is upon the law of that kind now in
force in that state. He was a leader in organizing the public library in Chicago, and a director
of the board for eight years, and president for four years, resigning when he became a member of
the city council in 1880. It has been well said of him by a writer in Washington, District of Co-
lumbia: "No citizen of the Northwest has been a more constant and intelligent friend to library
interests than he."
In politics Mr. Shorey was originally a whig, and on the demise of that party joined the re-
publican party, in whose ranks he has since trained. The seat of alderman of the third ward,
which he has held the last year, is all the office he would accept, though his name has been men-
tioned more than once in connection with a judicial position, for which he evidently has eminent
Mr. Shorey is a member of the First Unitarian Church, Chicago, and a very prominent lay-
man in that denomination, having been for eight years president of the Western Unitarian Con-
He is a blue lodge Mason and high up in Odd-Fellowship. In 1870 he was appointed grand
representative of the Grand Lodge of Illinois to the Grand Lodge of the United States, and per-
formed his duties in that connection with distinguished ability.
The wife of Mr. Shorey was Maria Antoinette Merriam, of Bedford, Massachusetts, married in
1856. They have two children, Paul, a graduate of Harvard University at the head of the class
of '78, and with the highest honors in history, the classics and philosophy, now a lawyer traveling
in Europe, and Mattie Hall, who is pursuing her studies in Europe.
THADDEUS O. BANNISTER, M.D.
THADDEUS OAKS BANNISTER, physician and surgeon, is a native of Wayne county,
New York, and was born in the town of Galen, June 13, 1833. His father, Augustus C.
Bannister, a farmer, was born at Phelps, in the adjoining county of Ontario. His gcandfather,
Theodore Bannister, was a colonel in the second war with England. The Bannister family was
from Massachusetts. The mother of our subject was Mary Vandemark, whose father was from
the state of Delaware, and of Holland descent. Thaddeus received a district-school education,
and farmed with his father until he turned his attention to his profession. He studied at
Marengo, near Galen, with Doctor George W. Stocking ; attended one course of medical lectures
at Albany, and finished his studies at the University of New York, receiving his diploma in
March, 1856. He practiced with Doctor Landon Wells at Waterloo until the autumn of the next
year, and then went to Phelps to take the place of his uncle, Doctor Caleb Bannister, who had
been in practice there for about fifty years.
The subject of this sketch was at Phelps until 1862, when he went into the service as acting
assistant surgeon in the department of Washington. He was at first in the Fairfax General Hos-
pital, Virginia, then with Doctor D. W. Bliss, and finally in the Campbell Hospital, same city,
where he was on duty when the war closed.
In the autumn of 1865 Doctor Bannister came to this state, and settled at Odell, where he has
an excellent practice, and has built up a fine reputation for skill. He is thoroughly devoted to
his profession, in which he keeps well read up, adding fresh works to his library from time to
time. He is one of the best surgeons in the county.
The doctor is quite public-spirited, taking a good degree of interest in local matters. When
the village of Odell was incorporated, he was one of the first trustees, and for the last nine years
he has been a member of the village school board. He devotes a reasonable amount of time in
assisting to elevate and improve the grade of the public schools.
698 UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
Doctor Bannister belongs to the democratic school of politics, but does not let such matters
interfere with his professional duties. He joined the Episcopal Church in Phelps, New York, but
there being no church of the kind in Odell, he. attends the Congregational Church.
The doctor was married, in 1857, to Miss Hannah Elizabeth Pound, of Wayne county, and
they have two sons ; George S. is a student in the Industrial University, Champaign, and Henry
J. is at home.
JOSHUA AND JEREMIAH COLLINS.
THESE men, who were widely known as among the most extensive farmers and stock- raisers
and dealers in Illinois, were twin brothers, the sons of Joshua and Margaret Collins, and
were born September 19, 1820, on the Hudson River, about twelve miles south of Albany, the
capital of New York. The family are of Irish descent, two sisters and one brother immigrating
to this country in an early day, and settling in Rhode Island. The mother's maiden name was
Rowe, and her ancestors were among the early Dutch settlers in New York. The father was born
in Rhode Island, but when a young man made his way into Dutchess county, New York, where he
married. He learned the trade of a miller, and finding it a hard struggle to support his large
family of nine children (seven sons and two daughters) the family decided to try their fortunes
in the Far West. Philip, the second son, then a young man, was sent out first to select a location,
and the family followed.
They came, in company with several other families, via the Erie canal and the lakes, and
landed in Chicago September 19, 1834. A location had been fixed on the Aux Sable bottom, in
what was then La Salle county, near its junction with the Illinois River, and a log house erected,
to which the family at once came on their arrival. Chicago had then about two hundred and
fifty inhabitants, and Mr. Collins was offered and urged to buy lots on Randolph street for $15
to $30, but declined to bury his money in a mud hole without the least probability of ever finding
it again. He had but little money in fact, and preferred to invest it in a farm for his boys, and
by the time a quarter section had been entered, and a few necessaries for the family comfort had
been purchased, his little store was exhausted. But the family were rich in health and strength,
were numerous and full of hope, and strong hands and willing hearts were better than a large
patrimony without them.
The story is an old one, oft-repeated in this country, but ever fresh and interesting, of the
early struggles of the brave pioneers. No roads or bridges, no schools or churches, but plenty of