American Historical Society. 1n.

New England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 17 of 62)
Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 17 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ever lived there, and took a deep interest
in all matters concerning its improve-
ment and development. He was a devoted
husband and a kind and loving father, and
all the time he could spare from the nu-
merous important responsibilities he was
called upon to assume was spent in the
bosom, of his family. One of his greatest
pleasures was to assist struggling young
men to secure a firm footing in their on-
ward struggle to a successful career, and
many of those whom he thus assisted are
now at the head of important concerns of
varied nature and scope.

Mr. Loomis married (first) February 3,
1869, Abbie M. Smith, born at Granby,
Province of Quebec, Canada, November 5,
1847, died in September, 1884. He mar-
ried (second) October 23, 1886, Julia M.
Sullivan, a chum of his first wife, and a
daughter of James Florence and Mary
(Bolster) Sullivan, of Boston. She is a
woman of much amiability of character,
who reared the children of the first wife
with true affection and devotion, and was
rewarded by having them call her mother,
and regard her with true filial affection.
Children, all by first marriage: Ida L.,
married Frederick Hart, of Pittsfield, and
has a son, Harrison Loomis ; Nellie M.,
married Charles Morrow, of Pittsfield,
and died in June, 1901 ; Abbie, married
Garfield Bassett, of Pittsfield, and has
children : Julius, Dorothy, Lolita, and
Donald ; Henry Harrison, only son of
Harrison Loomis, born in 1880, was
drowned at the age of eight years, which
was a dreadful shock from which Mr.
Loomis never fully recovered. Mr. Loo-
mis was a lover of flowers and the old
Loomis place on the "River Road," which
has been in the family nearly one hundred



years, is still aglow with flowers of his
planting, and is always a beauty spot to
the hundreds who pass daily. He abhored
a liar and his motto was : "Tell the truth
and pay your bills."



NICKERSON FAMILY.

The name of the family of Nickerson
appears to have been spelled in various
forms by the early generations of this
family. We find it spelled in some of the
early records under the form of Nichel-
son, Nicholson, Nicholsons, Nick, Nicka-
son, Nickleson, Nickelson, Nickerson,
Nickesson, Nickilson, Nickinson, Nickol-
son, Nickorson, Nickison, Nickson, Nicor-
son, Nikelson and Ninkerson. The first of
this family to come to America was Wil-
liam Nickerson, who it is believed was a
descendant of William Nickerson, Lord
Bishop of Derry, Ireland, whose coat-of-
arms, hanging in the hall of the home of
Captain Phineas Adams Nickerson in
Winchester, Massachusetts, is : Azure two
bars ermine, in chief three suns. From the
beginning of the settlement of this family
in this country the members thereof have
figured prominently in its commerce and
trade during the colonial period, and they
also asserted their patriotism, during the
struggle for independence ; in Massachu-
setts alone we find that seventy-two of
the name of Nickerson served in the army
and navy during the Revolution.

(I) William Nickerson was among those
who suffered persecution for conscience
sake in Ipswich, England. He was born
in 1604-06, in Norwich, England, and
sailed from there in April, 1637, either in
the ship "John and Dorothy," of Ipswich,
or the "Rose," of Yarmouth, in company
with his wife, her parents, her brothers
and sisters, and his four children. He
landed at Boston, June 20, 1637, and lived
in Boston, Watertown and Plymouth. He



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



was next heard of at Yarmouth in 1641,
was selectman there in 1643, an d deputy
to the General Court in 1655. While at
Yarmouth he was fined for "contempt for
religion," probably meaning contempt for
Father Mather, as there appears no reason
to doubt that he was a man of rectitude,
upright, and of good moral character. He
was next heard of in Monoyick (now
Chatham) where he purchased of John
Quason, chief of the Monoyicks, that
territory comprising Chatham, Orleans,
Harwich and Brewster, for the price of
twelve hatchets, twelve hoes, twelve
knives, twelve homespun suits, twelve
shillings in English money, twelve shill-
ings in wampum "and sundry other
articles." This purchase was made by
Nickerson without the consent of the
government at Plymouth, which held
grants from the Crown, and much legal
strife was caused thereby. The matter
was later amicably adjusted to the
satisfaction of all concerned, Nickerson
remaining in possession of the land
purchased. He founded the town of
Monomoy (now Chatham) where he ex-
ercised the office of religious teacher for
many years prior to the coming of Rev.
Mr. Vickery ; he also figured largely in
court proceedings, chiefly concerning
titles to lands. In 1670 he was select-
man in Eastham, and was there noted for
being foremost in enterprise and public
spirit. He died in Massachusetts between
August 30, 1689, and September 8, 1690,
at which latter date his daughter refers
to him as being deceased. He married, in
England, Anne (who was living as late
as 1686), daughter of Nicholas and
Bridget Busby. Children, of whom four
were born in England : Nicholas, Robert,
Anne, Elizabeth, Samuel, William., Jo-
seph, John, Sarah.

(II) William (2) Nickerson, son of
William (1) and Anne (Busby) Nicker-



son, was born in Yarmouth, Massachu-
setts, where he was baptized June 1, 1646.
He lived in Chatham, Massachusetts, near
the site of Hotel Chatham, held the office
of clerk and treasurer of the first public
meeting held in Chatham, May 12, 1694,
and was a soldier in King Philip's War
in 1676. Administration was allowed on
his estate in April, 1719. He married,
November 30, 1668, Mercy, daughter of
Thomas and Elizabeth (Tate) Williams,
her death occurring in Chatham, April 7,
1739. Children: William, Thomas,
Robert, Mercy, Elizabeth, Judith and
Nathaniel.

(III) Robert Nickerson, son of Wil-
liam (2) and Mercy (Williams) Nicker-
son, was born about 1672, and lived with
his wife Rebecca in the town of Chatham,
where only one child is recorded, Elka-
nah, born February 14, 1722.

(IV) Israel Nickerson, supposed to be
a son of Robert and Rebecca Nickerson,
was born about 1710-15, and resided in
Dennis, Massachusetts, where he was ad-
mitted to the church, October 16, 1744.
The records of this church are missing
for several years following this time, and
it is impossible to learn whether any of
his children were baptized. His wife's
name was Hannah, and the town records
give the following children : Israel, born
September 2, 1741 ; James, mentioned be-
low ; Patience, February 16, 1749.

(V) James Nickerson, son of Israel
and Hannah Nickerson, was born Febru-
ary 17, 1744, and lived in Dennis, with his
wife Keziah. Children, recorded in Den-
nis : James, born December 4, 1770;
Jephtha, mentioned below ; Bathsheba,
December 2, 1774; Patience, October 24,
1777 ; Keziah, March 19, 1780 ; Sarah, May
11, 1782; Elijah, November 13, 1789.

(VI) Jephtha Nickerson, second son
of James and Keziah Nickerson, was born
October 1, 1772, in Dennis, and lived in



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Harwich, Massachusetts. He married
Thankful Hall, born October 17, 1785, in
Harwich, daughter of Gershom and Lucy
(Snow) Hall, of that town (see Hall VI).

(VII) Alexander Nickerson, son of
Jephtha and Thankful (Hall) Nickerson,
was born October 19, 1810, in Harwich,
and married, October 30, 1832, Rebecca
Baker. He died October 6, 1881, aged
seventy years, eleven months and seven-
teen days. Their children were: Mercy
A., mentioned below; Alexander; Wil-
liam Henry, who was lost at sea ; Almira ;
John F., living at Onset, Massachusetts ;
Lucy Maria, living in West Dennis, Mas-
sachusetts ; George Edwin, who died in
infancy ; Rebecca Frances, living in South
Dennis, Massachusetts.

(VIII) Mercy A. Nickerson, daughter
of Alexander and Rebecca (Baker)
Nickerson, was born August 18, 1834, in
South Dennis, and became the wife of
Leander F. Chase, of Fall River, Massa-
chusetts. After his death she married
(second) Major Oliver Hazard Perry
Howard, a distinguished soldier of the
Civil War (see Chase VIII).

(The Hall Line).

(I) John Hall came from Coventry,
England, and located at Charlestown,
Massachusetts, in 1630. He was a mem-
ber of the first church there, July 30, 1632,
was one of the sixteen men with their
wives who formed a church at Charles-
town, November 2, to supply the place of
the original church which had been re-
moved to Boston. He subsequently was
in Barnstable, and settled in Yarmouth,
Plymouth Colony, in 1653. He had lot
No. 48 in Charlestown, in 1633, was made
freeman, May 14, 1634, and was in Barn-
stable as early as 1640, and for some
years thereafter. His first wife, Bethia,
was the mother of two children, baptized
in Charlestown: John, May 13, 1638;



Shebar, February 9, 1640. The first men-
tioned must have died in childhood, as the
following children are recorded in Yar-
mouth. Children of his second wife, Eliz-
abeth, were: Joseph, born 1642; John,
1645 1 Elizabeth ; Gershom ; William,
165 1 ; Samuel; Benjamin; Nathaniel;
Elisha. He resided in that part of Yar-
mouth which became Dennis in 1793 and
his homestead there was still owned and
occupied by descendants in 1880.

(II) Gershom Hall, son of John and
Elizabeth Hall, born March 5, 1648, in
Yarmouth, died October 31, 1732, and
was buried in the North Dennis Ceme-
tery. He was a millwright and settled in
Harwich, Massachusetts, where he was
selectman in 1710 and twelve years there-
after. He represented the town in 1712
in the General Court and twice subse-
quently. He received a salary for preach-
ing in Chatham and Harwich. He gave
much land to his children. He married
(first) about 1668, Bethia, daughter of
Edward and Rebecca Bangs, born May
28, 1650, in Eastham, died October 15,
1696. He married (second) December 7
of that year, Martha Bramhall, of Hing-
ham, Massachusetts, widow of George
Bramhall and mother of the wife of his
son, Jonathan Hall. Children: Samuel,
born 1667; Edward, 1671 ; Bethia, about
1672 ; Mary, and Jonathan.

(III) Jonathan Hall, youngest child of
Gershom and Bethia (Bangs) Hall, was
born about 1676, was executor of his
father's will, inherited the paternal home-
stead on which he resided, and was a
member of the South Church of Harwich
in 1747. He married (first) about 1712,
Hannah Bramhall, daughter of George
and Martha Bramhall. George Bramhall
came from England, was at Dover, New
Hampshire, in 1670, at Casco, Maine, in
1678, and was killed by the Indians in
1689. His widow removed to Hingham,



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Massachusetts, and became the wife of
Gershom Hall. Their daughter Hannah
was the wife of Jonathan Hall, as above
noted. He married (second) in 1751,
Elizabeth Hedge, of Chatham.

(IV) Gershom (2) Hall, only known
child of Jonathan and Hannah (Bram-
hall) Hall, was born October 25, 1715, in
Harwich, and resided on the paternal
homestead in that town, where he died
September 7, 1784. He was a deacon of
the South Church from 1747 to his death.
He married, November 28, 1734, his
cousin, Mary Hall, born October 15, 1714,
in Harwich, died January 20, 1794, daugh-
ter of Edward and Mary (Stewart) Hall,
granddaughter of Gershom (1) Hall. She
owned the covenant at Harwich Church,
October 16, 1737, and was admitted to full
communion, May 14, 1738. Children:
Seth, mentioned below; Bethia, baptized
1738; Edward, died young; Edward and
Hannah, baptized May 1, 1743 ; Jonathan,
October 15, 1746; Sarah and Jerusha.

(V) Seth Hall, eldest child of Gershom
(2) and Mary (Hall) Hall, was baptized
November 13, 1737, in Harwich, and died
October 25, 1793. He resided north of
and near his father in that town. He was
executor of the father's will. He was a
member of the South Church. He mar-
ried, June 17, 1756, Elizabeth Burgess,
born 1734-35, in Yarmouth, died Septem-
ber 17, 1808, in Harwich, daughter of
Samuel and Mercy (Covill) Burgess. She
was descended from Thomas Burgess,
born 1602-03, was at Salem about 1630,
later in Lynn, and received land in that
part of Plymouth, Massachusetts, which
is now Duxbury, July 3, 1637. This was
forfeited by his removal to Sandwich be-
fore the close of that year. He was
among the most prominent settlers of the
town, and a constituent member of the
church organized there in 1638, filled
every office in the town, was several years

MASS— Vol. Ill— 8 1



deputy to the General Court, a large land-
holder, and died February 13, 1685. His
second son, John Burgess, settled in Yar-
mouth, where he was deputy in 1680;
married, September 18, 1657, Mary,
daughter of Peter Worden. Their fourth
son was Samuel Burgess, who lived in
Yarmouth with his wife Elizabeth. Their
eldest child was Samuel (2) Burgess, born
December 9, 1704, married, July 25, 1730,
Mercy Covill, and was the father of Eliz-
abeth Burgess, wife of Seth Hall. Chil-
dren: Tamsin, born 1758; Gershom, men-
tioned below; Edward, 1763; Mercy, mar-
ried Kelley ; Jonathan, May 24,

1768; Elisha; Seth; Elizabeth, married
Joshua Covell ; Lemuel.

(VI) Gershom (3) Hall, eldest son of
Seth and Elizabeth (Burgess) Hall, was
born in 1760, in Harwich, where he lived,
and died September 26, 1844. He mar-
ried (first) February 8, 1781, Lucy Snow,
baptized December, 1760, in Brewster,
Massachusetts, died October 8, 1795, in
Harwich, daughter of Thomas and Han-
nah (Lincoln) Snow. She was a de-
scendant of Nicholas Snow, who came
from England in 1623, in the ship "Ann,"
and had a share in the division of land in
Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1624. Ten
years later he removed to Eastham, where
he was a prominent citizen, the first town
clerk and filled the office sixteen years.
For three years he was deputy to the
General Court, and for seven years select-
man. He married at Plymouth, Con-
stance, daughter of Stephen Hopkins,
who came in the "Mayflower" to Plym-
outh in 1620. Nicholas Snow died No-
vember 15, 1676, in Eastham, and was
survived nearly a year by his wife, who
died in October, 1677. They were the
parents of Nicholas (2) Snow, born De-
cember 6, 1663, in Eastham, lived in Har-
wich, and married in Eastham, April 4,
1689, Lydia Shaw. Their third son, Na-



13



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



thaniel Snow, born October 16, 1693, m
Harwich, married, August 20, 1730, in
that town, Thankful Gage, born May 21,
171 1, in Yarmouth, daughter of John and
Jane Gage. Their second son, Thomas
Snow, born November 19, 1735, in Har-
wich, baptized four days later in Brew-
ster, died April 27, 1790, in the West
Indies. He married, January 31, 1760,
Hannah Lincoln, born April 23, 1738, in
Brewster, died May 30, 181 7, daughter
of John and Hannah (Hopkins) Lincoln.
Their eldest child, Lucy Snow, became
the first wife of Gershom (3) Hall, as
previously noted. He married (second)
May 15, 1796, Widow Bethiah Collins,
daughter of Deacon Edward Hall, born
1760, died September 28, 1813. He mar-
ried (third, intentions published October
6, 1815, in Harwich) Jerusha, daughter
of Reuben Clark, born 1772-73, in Brew-
ster, died October 29, 1843. Children:
Rosanna, born October 31, 1782; Rhoda,
March 12, 1784; Thankful, mentioned be-
low; Daniel; Lucy, February 18, 1788;
Tamsin, October 29, 1789; Olive, March
18, 1791 ; Sukey, April 14, 1793; Patience,
September 16, 1795; Gershom,, August 19,
1798; Zabrina, December 9, 1804; twins,
died young.

(VII) Thankful Hall, third daughter
of Gershom (3) and Lucy (Snow) Hall,
was born October 17, 1785, in Harwich,
and became the wife of Jephtha Nicker-
son, of Dennis (see Nickerson VI). After
his death she became the wife of Deacon
Samuel Smith, of West Harwich, Massa-
chusetts.

(The Chase Line).

Elsewhere in this volume appears an
extensive history of the early generations
of the Chase family, beginning with Wil-
liam Chase, who came from England with
Governor Winthrop in 1630, accompanied
by his wife Mary and son William, and
located finally at Yarmouth in what is



now Barnstable county, Massachusetts.
His eldest son, William Chase, resided in
that locality, and was the father of Ben-
jamin Chase, who lived in Portsmouth,
Rhode Island, and married Amy Borden.
Their eldest son was Nathan Chase, who
resided in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, and
married Elizabeth Shaw. The second
son of this marriage was Holder Chase,
born 1733, in Portsmouth, where he lived.
He married, in 1760, Freeborn, daughter
of Joseph and Sarah (Durfee) Dennis,
natives of Portsmouth.

(VI) Nathan (2) Chase, second son of
Holder and Freeborn (Dennis) Chase,
was born in 1766, and lived in Tiverton,
Rhode Island, where he died November
12, 1827, aged sixty-one years. He mar-
ried Ann Sherman, daughter of Sampson
and Ruth (Fish) Sherman, born Novem-
ber 18, 1770, died in Newport, Rhode
Island, October 22, 1852. Children: Han-
nah, born November 22, 1793; Almy, July
20, 1795; Holder, March 17, 1797; Eliza,
February 25, 1799; Mary, September 21,
1800; Abby, July 25, 1802; Rowland, Jan-
uary 28, 1804; Obediah, mentioned be-
low; Ruth Ann, September 21, 1810.

(VII) Obediah Chase, third son of Na-
than (2) and Ann (Sherman) Chase, was
born March 2, 1806, in Tiverton, Rhode
Island, and made his home in Fall River,
Massachusetts, where he became a well
known citizen, and there died March 13,
1865, at the age of fifty-nine years. His
body lies in Oak Grove Cemetery. He
married in Tiverton, Rhode Island, Julia
Ann Gardner, born there January 25,
1807, daughter of Captain Samuel and
Catherine (Borden) Gardner. A full his-
tory of this family will be found on other
pages of this work. She survived him
and died in Fall River, Massachusetts,
and was buried beside her husband. Chil-
dren : Leander F., mentioned below; Obe-
diah Davis, born September 19, 1833, died



14



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



in Fall River, 1894, was buried in Oak
Grove Cemetery.

(VIII) Leander F. Chase, elder son of
Obediah and Julia Ann (Gardner) Chase,
was born November 10, 1830, in Tiver-
ton, Rhode Island, where he spent his
active life, and died October 3, 1890, and
was buried in Oak Grove Cemetery. His
education was supplied by the public
schools of his native city, and after leav-
ing his studies he learned the trade of car-
penter with his father and continued for
many years as a contracting builder in
Fall River, where he was known for his
upright methods, his industry and sound
judgment. He married at South Dennis,
Barnstable county, Massachusetts, Feb-
ruary 9, 1854, Mercy A. Nickerson, born
August 18, 1834, in that town, daughter
of Alexander and Rebecca (Baker) Nick-
erson, granddaughter of Jephtha and
Thankful (Hall) Nickerson, of Harwich,
Massachusetts, and great-granddaughter
of Gershom Hall. Children: 1. William
Everett, died at the age of six years. 2.
Frank Herbert, died young. 3. J. Etta,
born in Fall River, educated in the pub-
lic and high schools of that city, and for
several terms was a teacher in the public
schools of Fall River; she married, No-
vember 9, 1893, James W. Cross, a well
known business man of Fall River, and
has children : Eunice Howard, Ida Chase,
J. William, Mercy A. and James Julian.
After the death of Mr. Chase his widow
married, in September, 1894, Major Oli-
ver Hazard Perry Howard, of whom fur-
ther. Mrs. Howard is still quite active,
and is a member of the First Christian
Church of Fall River, in whose Bible
class she is an active member.

Major Oliver Hazard Perry Howard
was born July 22, 1836, in Providence,
Rhode Island, son of William and Han-
nah (Corey) Howard. He was educated
in the public schools, and during the Civil



War enlisted as a soldier of the Union
army. In 1861 he became a member of
the Second Rhode Island Regiment at
Providence, and served under General
Burnside. He was injured during the
battle of Bull Run, and following his re-
covery was promoted to be a corporal. At
the battle of Malvern Hill, in 1862, he re-
ceived injuries which caused him, to be
temporarily discharged. He reenlisted
in December, 1862, in the Forty-seventh
Massachusetts Regiment, under General
Banks. With this regiment he saw much
active service and for meritorious con-
duct during the battles in which he
figured he was promoted to be sergeant.
At the battle of Port Hudson Major How-
ard saw so many of his fellow soldiers
killed that the ranks were practically
wiped out and the remnants of the once
fine regiment were assigned to the
Eighty-third United States Volunteer In-
fantry. At Port Hudson Major Howard
was seized with illness and forced to re-
sign. After his recovery he again en-
listed in the Thirty-seventh United States
Colored Infantry at Fort Fisher. He was
serving with that organization when Wil-
mington, North Carolina, was captured,
and General Cook rewarded Major How-
ard by assigning him to the post of pro-
vost-marshal of the city of Wilmington
for several months. Major Howard grad-
ually rose through the different ranks and
was appointed first lieutenant, April 7,
1865, for his gallant and faithful service
during the war. His promotion to cap-
tain came in June, 1866, and in February
of the following year he received his
honorable discharge. He had participated
in about fifteen battles. On April 1, 1868,
Major Howard received his commission
as brevet major. He was justly proud of
this honor and the commission occupied
a position in a frame in his home. It was
signed by President Andrew Johnson,
15



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton.
Major Howard made his home in Fall
River, where he was a prominent mem-
ber of Richard Borden Post, No. 46, Grand
Army of the Republic. He was a mem-
ber of the Episcopal church, and was one
of the charter members of St. John's
Episcopal Society, and served as senior
warden of this body. He married (first)
Ellen Douglas, who died January 27,
1893, ar, d he married (second) September
20, 1894, Mercy A. Chase, widow of Lean-
der F. Chase, who survives him. Major
Howard died December 9, 191 1, at his
home on Second street, Fall River, and
was buried in Oak Grove Cemetery.



HARRIS, Henry Francis,

Influential. Public Spirited Citizen.

The Welsh custom of adding to a name
the father's name in possessive form to
distinguish one from another of the same
Christian name was the origin of this
patronymic. In the short four centuries
that surnames have prevailed in Great
Britain, time has sufficed to make many
changes and modifications in the form of
all classes of words, and names are no
exception to the rule. In the Welsh ver-
nacular, William was "David's," Harry
was "John's," and David was "William's,"
and thus we have Davy's (Davis), John's
(Jones), William and Harris, all among
the most common of Welsh names. The
Harris family of whom this article gives
some account was among the earliest in
New England, has contributed much to
the advancement of this region and of the
nation, and is now found in connection
with all worthy endeavors. It has been
especially active in the fields of invention
and pioneer development. Almost every
State has found the name among those of
its pioneer settlers, and it has spread from
the Atlantic to the Pacific.



(I) Thomas Harris, born in Deal, Kent
county, England, came to this country
with his brother William in the ship
"Lyon," from Bristol, England, Decem-
ber 1, 1630. Roger Williams was also a
passenger, and they landed at Lynn, Mas-
sachusetts Bay Colony. On August 20,
1637, or a little later, he and twelve others
signed the following compact: "We,
whose names are hereunder, desirous to
inhabit in the town of Providence, do
promise to subject ourselves in active or
passive obedience to all such orders or
agreements as shall be made for public
good of the body in an orderly way by the
major assent of the present inhabitants,
members incorporated together into a
town of fellowship, and such others
whom they shall admit unto themselves,
only in civil things." On July 27, 1640,
he and thirty-eight others signed an
agreement for a form of government. On
September 2, 1650, he was taxed one
pound. In 1652-53-54-55-56-57, 1661-62-
63, he was commissioner; in 1654, lieu-
tenant; 1655, freeman; 1656, juryman.
Bishop's "New England Judged," pub-
lished in London, in 1703, has the follow-
ing with reference to July, 1658:

After these came Thomas Harris from Rhode
Island into our colony who Declaring against
your Pride and Oppression, as we would have
liberty to speak in your meeting place in Boston,
after the priest had ended. Warning the people
of the Dreadful, terrible day of the Lord God,



Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 17 of 62)