American Historical Society. 1n.

New England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 32 of 62)
Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 32 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a regular attendant of the Methodist
church of that city. Mr. Lamb is a mem-
ber of Burnside Association, Thirty-sixth
Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers, of
which he was president in 1914. He is
also a member of the Fay Club, of Fitch-
burg. He married, July 18, 1870, Ellen
M. Smith, of Fitchburg, Massachusetts,
daughter of Samuel D. and Celia F.
(Arnold) Smith.

(The Fairbanks Line).

Nearly all persons in the United States
bearing the name of Fairbanks or Fair-
bank, except by marriage, are related by
direct descent from Jonathan, the first,
while there are many who take a justifi-
able pride in tracing their lineage back to



mothers born to the inheritance. The im-
migrant often wrote his name Fairbanke,
and occasionally ffayerbanke. In his will
and the inventory of his property there
appears the variations ffarbanke, ffare-
banks, Fairbancke. Among the members
of this ancient family are many who have
distinguished themselves in the profes-
sions, in business and in politics, and one
has filled the office of vice-president of the
United States ; another has been governor
of a State, and many have been notable in
the arts and industries ; among the latter
those of the later generations of the pres-
ent line.

(I) Jonathan Fairbanks came from
Sowerby in the West Riding of York-
shire, England, to Boston, Massachusetts,
in the year 1633, and in 1636 settled in
Dedham, where he first built the noted
"Old Fairbanks House," which is still
standing as an ancient landmark, the old-
est dwelling in New England which, for
the same period of time, has been con-
tinuously owned and occupied by the
builder and his lineal descendants. He
was one of the earliest settlers of Ded-
ham, which was established in 1636, and
signed the covenant, March 23, 1637. Be-
fore 1637 Jonathan Fairbanks had been
granted at least one of the twelve-acre
lots into which the first allotment was
divided, with four acres of swamp land,
for the same year he received as his pro-
portion of a further allotment four acres
of "Swamp" land, this additional grant
being made on account of the swampy
condition of a portion of the first grant.
In 1638 he was appointed with others "to
measure out those polls of meadow which
adjoin to men's lots, and to mete out so
much meadow in several parcels as is
allotted unto every man according to the
grant made unto them." In 1638 he was
allowed six acres more, which was later
exchanged for other land ; and at other



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



times following he received various small
grants. He was admitted townsman and
signed the covenant in 1654. He died in
Dedham, December 5, 1668. His wife's
name was Grace Lee. She died "28th 10
Mo. 1673." Children, all born in Eng-
land: John, George, Mary, Susan, James,
and Jonathan.

(II) Captain George Fairbanks, second
son of Jonathan and Grace (Lee) Fair-
banks, came with his parents from Eng-
land. He resided in Dedham until about
1657, when he removed to the southern
part of Sherborn (afterward Medway and
now Mills), where he was the first settler.
In 1648 he owned some land and a dwell-
ing house in Dedham. In that year he
received a grant of a small parcel of land
"as it lye against the side of his own yard
for an enlargement and to set a Barne
upon it." In Medfield, afterward Med-
way, he established a homestead, which
remained in the family name for several
generations. His dwelling was the famous
stone house near the northern border of
Bogestow pond in the eastern part of the
town, which is now included within the
limits of the town of Mills, incorporated
in 1885. This house was originally a gar-
rison house, built by the residents of
Bogestow farms unitedly as a place of
refuge and defence, to which they could
flee in times of danger from the attacks
of hostile Indians. It was sixty-five or
seventy feet long, and two stories high.
The walls were built of flat stones laid in
clay mortar. It had a double row of port
holes on the sides, and was lined with
heavy oak plank. The stones have all
been carried away, and the spot where
the building stood is unmarked. In 1662
George Fairbanks, with thirteen of his
neighbors, signed the first petition for the
incorporation of Sherborn. Again in 1674
he and twelve others signed a second peti-
tion which was successful, and by an act
of the general court the petitioners and



twenty more of such as they might con-
sent to receive as inhabitants, were con-
stituted proprietors of lands now compris-
ing Sherborn, Holliston, and large dis-
tricts of Framingham and Ashland. After
the formation of the town he seems to
have been an active citizen, engaged in
public affairs. For four years he was
selectman, and was chosen on a commit-
tee to engage and settle a minister. He
was also a member of the Ancient and
Honorable Artillery Company ; a man of
sterling character, and a model pioneer.
He was drowned January 10, 1682. His
descendants are found in almost every
State of the Union, and in Canada and
Nova Scotia. George Fairbanks married,
"the 26 of the 8 mo., 1646," Mary Adams,
of Dedham, who died August 11, 171 1, in
Mendon, Massachusetts, probably at the
home of her son-in-law, William Hol-
brook. Children, born in Dedham : Mary,
November 10, 1647; George, May 26,
1650; Samuel, October 8, 1652; Eliesur,
June 8, 1655 ; Jonas, February 23, 1656.
Born in Medway: Jonathan, mentioned
below : Margaret, June 27, 1664.

(III) Dr. Jonathan (2) Fairbanks, fifth
son of George and Mary (Adams) Fair-
banks, was born in Medway, May 1, 1662,
and lived in his native town, probably in
the old stone house near Bogestow Pond,
where he was the first physician, a select-
man for several years, also town clerk. He
was drowned December 19, 1719, by fall-
ing through the ice, while attempting to
cross the river from Medfield, by night.

He married (first) Sarah , who died

July 9, 1713; (second) Annie .

Children of first wife: George, born April
14, 1685; Jonathan, mentioned below;
Comfort, October 30, 1690; Joseph, April
25, 1692, died young; Samuel, February
27, 1693 ; Jonas, June 9, 1697, died young.
Child of second wife: Benjamin, August
16, 1715.

(IV) Dr. Jonathan (3) Fairbanks, sec-
13



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



ond son of Dr. Jonathan (2) and Sarah
Fairbanks, was born in Medway, March
21, 1689. He followed the profession of
his father, a physician, and was a soldier
in the French and Indian war, 1725. He
married (first) Lydia Holbrook, who died
in 1724; (second) June 2, 1726, Hannah
Coolidge, born January 8, 1692, died in
1776. Children of first wife: Jonathan,
born February 18, 1714; Benjamin, Au-
gust 16, 1715, died young; Mary, Febru-
ary 5, 1717; Lydia, October 1, 1718; Com-
fort, February 8, 1720; Moses, mentioned
below; Daniel, November 5, 1723. Chil-
dren of second wife: Joshua, April 5,
1727; John, August 12, 1729; Hannah,
Juty 3. I73 1 ; Grace, June 16, 1734; Ab-
ner, March 28, 1736.

(V) Moses Fairbanks, fourth son of
Dr. Jonathan (3) and Lydia (Holbrook)
Fairbanks, was born March 1, 1722, in
Sherborn, Massachusetts, and was a pio-
neer settler in that part of Franklin coun-
ty, same State, which was incorporated
as the town of Shutesbury, in 1761. He
was a soldier of the Colonial wars from
Sherborn, serving as a private in Captain
David White's company, Colonel Joseph
William's regiment, enlisting April 12,
1758, discharged October 16, same year.
He was credited with six months and
twenty days' service, including twenty-
three days' travel. The records contain
very little concerning him, but show that
he had a wife Hannah, and five sons :
Moses, born August 9, 1768; Daniel, June
1, 1770; Jonathan, April 3, 1772; Asa,
mentioned below; Joshua, October 17,
1775-

(VI) Asa Fairbanks, fourth son of
Moses and Hannah Fairbanks, was born
May 1, 1774, in Shutesbury, and was a
resident of Whitingham, Vermont, as
early as 1802, in which year he appears
on the grand list. He continued to reside
in that town, where he died February 24,



1828. He married, about 1799, Lucy Saun-
ders, born 1778-79, died July 20, 1843.
Children: Asa, born June 27, 1800; Amos,
February 18, 1802 ; Ezra, February 4,
1804; Phebe, March 16, 1806; Abraham,
May 3, 1808; Lucy, mentioned below.

(VII) Lucy Fairbanks, only daughter
of Asa and Lucy (Saunders) Fairbanks,
was born June 11, 1810, in Whitingham,
Vermont, and became the wife of Levi
(2) Lamb, of Readsboro, same State (see
Lamb VII).



MARSHALL, Alfred Augustus,

Agriculturist.

This surname is derived from the name
of an occupation or office. The word has
doubled in meaning in a singular fashion
Cotgrave, an ancient authority, says: "A
marshal of a kingdome or of a campe (an
honorable place) ; also farrier horse-shoer,
blacksmith, horse leech, horse-smith ; also
harbinger." The word comes from French
Mares-Chal ; Dutch maer, meaning a
horse or schalck, meaning servant; and
the compound word meaning literally
"one who cares for horses," but by de-
grees the word grew in dignity until it
signified "magister equorum," or master
of cavalry. Hence, under the ancient
regime, we had the Grand Marshals of
France, governors of provinces, as well as
Earl-marshal of England and Lord Mar-
ischal of Scotland. The Earl of Pem-
broke is of the Marshal family of Eng-
land. Few names in England are more
generally scattered through the kingdom
or more numerous. There are no less
than sixty-seven coats-of-arms of the Mar-
shall family in Burke's General Armory.
These more distinguished branches of the
family are located in the counties of
Berks, Derby, Devon, Durham, Hunting-
ton, Essex, Hants, Lincoln, Middlesex,
Notthingham, York, Northumberland and



214



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Surrey ; also in Ireland. The coat-of-
arms in general use (that ilk) is: Argent
a bishop's pall sable between three dock
leaves vert. Among the early settlers in
Massachusetts of this name were two who
lived in Ipswich. William Marshall, Sr.,
born in England, 1598, residing in Salem
in 1638, according to Felt, and having land
granted him there, was doubtless brother
of Edmund, of Salem and Ipswich. He
came over in the ship "Abigail" in 1635,
from London, giving his age as forty.
These records of age on passenger list
were almost invariably too small. Mar-
shall may have been five years older,
judging from other cases where the facts
are known. William Marshall, Sr., and
John Marshall, according to Hammett,
owned shares in Plum Island, in 1664.
Nothing further is known of William
Marshall.

(I) John Marshall, who is above re-
ferred to as having a share in Plum
Island, was born in England, and came to
America in the ship "Hopewell" in com-
pany with his brother Christopher. The
latter remained only a few years, and re-
turned to England. They were descended
from John Marshall, of Southark, Eng-
land, whose son founded Christ Church
of that parish, and to whom was given the
coat-of-arms which some of his descend-
ants still bear. For a time after his arrival
John Marshall was in the service of Ed-
ward Hutchinson. He was admitted an
inhabitant of Boston, February 24, 1640,
was one of the proprietors of the town,
and a husbandman. He died in Boston
in March, 171 5. His wife, Sarah, born
1623, died September 28, 1689. They were
married in Boston in 1645. Children:

John ; Joseph ; Sarah, married

Royal ; Samuel ; Hannah, married

Parrot ; Thomas ; Benjamin and Chris-
topher.

(II) Sergeant John (2) Marshall, son
of John (1 ) and Sarah Marshall, was born



December 10, 1645, in Boston, and died
November 5, 1702, in Billerica, same
colony. He appears in that town in 1656-
57 and on February 4, of the latter year,
he was granted a six-acre lot. His first
allotment of common lands consisted of
twenty acres, lying partly on the town-
ship and partly on the commons, adjoin-
ing a parcel of land reserved for "ye min-
istry." This was bounded by the ancient
Andover road, and the location is east of
Narrow Gauge Railroad as it runs south
from the street. When the road was
altered, he was allowed a private way
across John Sheldon's land to reach his
own. After receiving later grants further
east, he sold his first grant, and the road
running east across Loes' Plain was early
known as Marshall's Lane. A house
which he occupied on the east road, near
the turn of this lane, was standing as late
as 1S83. He married (first) November 19,
1662, Hannah Atkinson, who was prob-
ably a daughter of Thomas Atkinson, of
Concord, Massachusetts, born March 5,
1644. She died September 7, 1665, and
he married (second) November 27, of
that year, Mary Burrage, baptized May
8, 1641, in Charlestown, Massachusetts,
daughter of John Burrage, died October
30, 1680. He married (third) November
30, 1681, Damaris Waite, a widow, of
Maiden, Massachusetts. After his death
she married (third) July 14, 1703, Lieu-
tenant Thomas Johnson, of Andover,
Massachusetts, and died April 5, 1728.
John Marshall's children, all born of the
second marriage, were : John, June 7, 1667,
died one month old ; Mary, October 2,
1668, died 1669; Joanna, April 1, 1670,
married Peter Corneil, died 1704; John,
mentioned below ; Mary, October 14, 1672,
died 1673; Hannah, February 18, 1674,
died June following; Thomas, November
10, 1675, died ten days old; Isaac, Janu-
ary 13, 1678, died April following; Mehit-
able, August 13, 1680, died two days old.



215



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



(III) John (3) Marshall, second son of
Sergeant John (2) and Mary (Burrage)
Marshall, was born August 1, 1671, in
Billerica, and made his home on the pa-
ternal homestead in that town, where he
died January 25, 1714. He married, De-
cember 8, 1695, Eunice Rogers, born Au-
gust 27, 1675, in Billerica, daughter of
John (2) and Mary (Shedd) Rogers, and
granddaughter of John Rogers, of Water-
town and Billerica. Children: Mary,
born October 28, 1696, married Nathan
Cross, of Nottingham, New Hampshire ;
John, January 19, 1699; Daniel, May 13,
1701 ; Eunice, October 16, 1703; Thomas,
mentioned below; Samuel, June 23, 1708;
William, July 28, 1710; Isaac, mentioned
in following sketch.

(IV) Thomas Marshall, third son of
John (3) and Eunice (Rogers) Marshall,
was born March 28, 1706, in Billerica, and
lived in that part of Billerica which was
set off to the town of Tewksbury, incorpo-
rated December 17, 1734. He was one of
the original members of the Tewksbury
church, and prominent in the affairs of
the town, serving fourteen years as select-
man. His first wife, Ruth, surname un-
known, died July 5, 1741, and he had a
second wife, Mary Tarbell, daughter of
John and Hannah (Flint) Tarbell, who
died July 7, 1770. He married (third)
Phebe, widow of Francis Phelps, of Pep-
perell. She died January 15, 1779. Chil-
dren of first marriage: Thomas, born No-
vember 23, 1729, died in Chelmsford;
Samuel, May 10, 1732, died in Chelms-
ford ; Joseph, April 3, 1733, died in Hills-
borough, New Hampshire; John, July 15,
1735; Abel, December 3, 1736, died Octo-
ber 28, 1753; Jonas, mentioned below;
Ruth, May 8, 1739, died August 6, 1772.
Children of second marriage : Joel, born
May 24, 1744, lived in Tewksbury ; Silas,
February 20, 1746; Rufus, November 2,
1747, died December 15, 1749; Mary, May



2 3> I 75°; Daniel, November 9, 1752; Wil-
liam, May 20, 1757; Hannah, November
29, 1759, died August 14, 1760; Hannah,
July 31, 1761 ; Abel, 1763, died June 3,
1764.

(V) Dr. Jonas Marshall, sixth son of
Thomas and Ruth Marshall, was born
February 14, 1738, in Tewksbury, and died
November 13, 1825, in Fitchburg, Massa-
chusetts, at the age of eighty-seven years.
He practiced medicine in Chelmsford,
Massachusetts, until 1781, when he re-
moved to Fitchburg, and settled on the
place now owned by his descendant,
Alfred A. Marshall. He married (first)
in Groton, Massachusetts, February 10,
1768, Mary Parker, of that town, born
September 17, 1739, in Chelmsford,
daughter of Benjamin, Jr., and Elizabeth
(Warren) Parker. She died in Chelms-
ford, February 17, 1776, and he married
(second) Mrs. Abigail Adams, widow of
Joseph Adams, and daughter of George
and Elizabeth (Hale) Thurlow, born
April 2J, 1746, in Newbury, Massachu-
setts, died in Fitchburg, January 17, 1836,
in her ninetieth year. Children of first
marriage: Jonas, born November 21,
1768; Ruth, March 24, 1770, married
Thomas French ; Benjamin, December
25, 1771, was a physician in Fitchburg;
Sybil, September 29, 1775, died of small-
pox in 1776; John, November 20, 1776,
died Christmas day following of small-
pox. Children of second marriage : Joseph
Adams, born January 29, 1781 ; Phebe,
April 30, 1782, married Henry Haskell ;
Simon, mentioned below. All except the
last two were born in Chelmsford. The
first wife and two children contracted
smallpox from a soldier returning from
the Revolutionary War, the three deaths
occurring within nine days.

(VI) Simon Marshall, fifth son of Dr.
Jonas Marshall, and youngest child of his
second wife, Abigail (Thurlow-Adams)



216



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Marshall, was born June 14, 1784, in
Fitchburg, where he died September 10,
1819. His home was on the homestead
formerly occupied by his father, near the
close of the Revolution. He married, in
1810, Ruth Batchellor, born July 18, 1785,
in Fitchburg, died there, October 23,
1825, daughter of Timothy and Esther
(Conant) Batchellor, a descendant of John
Batchellor through John (2), Jonathan,
Jonathan (2), Timothy. Children, all
born in Fitchburg: Abel, mentioned be-
low; George, born September 7, 1813;
Moses, January 30, 1815 ; Abigail, Octo-
ber 26, 1816, died April 25, 1818; Abigail,
September 1, 1818.

(VII) Abel Marshall, second son of
Simon and Ruth (Batchellor) Marshall,
was born April 10, 1812, in Fitchburg,
where he died January 2, 1892. He lived
and died on the farm where he was born,
and was an old fashioned New England
farmer. He acquired the trade of car-
penter and did some lumbering, thus util-
izing the period between farming seasons.
He was a Unitarian, in early life a Whig,
and affiliated with the Republican party
from its organization. He married Rosel-
ma Narramore, born January 9, 1814, in
Richmond, New Hampshire, died May 30,
1883, daughter of Nathaniel and Ann
(Buffum) Narramore. Children: George
E. and Simon F., killed in the war of the
Rebellion: Charlotte A., born March 14,
1840, died March 6, 1908, married Stephen
V. Ware ; Laura L., February 6, 1842,
died October 5, 1912, married William E.
Leathers ; Harriet R., May 9, 1843, mar-
ried Asa S. Jefts ; Alfred Augustus, men-
tioned below; Sarah J., April 30, 1847,
died January 30, 1897, married Albert A.
Farnsworth ; Clara E., July 24, 1853, mar-
ried William J. Wyeth.

(VIII) Alfred Augustus Marshall, third
son of Abel and Roselma (Narramore)
Marshall, was born July 22, 1845, in



Fitchburg, on the old Marshall home-
stead, where his father and grandfather
were born and lived and died. His edu-
cation was supplied by the town schools,
and he worked on his father's farm until
twenty-three years of age, after which he
was employed for a period of five years in
the Fitchburg post office. For twelve
years he was traveling representative of
the Simonds Manufacturing Company of
Fitchburg, makers of saws, files and kin-
dred wares. For a subsequent period of
fourteen years he traveled on the road on
his own account, introducing and selling
the Marshall paper covered pulley, the
patent on which he owned and controlled.
In 1890 he returned to the old homestead,
which had then been in the family more
than a century, and which consisted of
some one hundred and fifty acres. He
made great improvements in the farm,
removing many rocks which had encum-
bered its fields, and for some time made
a specialty of strawberry culture, devot-
ing several acres to high grade straw-
berries. They were known as the Mar-
shall Berry, and were in large demand at
special prices. He later engaged in peach
culture, until 1903, when he removed all
his peach trees and substituted apple trees
in their place. At the present time (1914)
he has one hundred and twenty acres of
orchard, to which he is steadily adding
each year. Mr. Marshall is known as the
Apple King, not only of Massachusetts,
but of New England, and considers his
apple land as valuable as the famed
orange lands of California. During the
past season several films were made,
showing in moving pictures the spraying
of the trees, harvesting of the crops, the
sorting and packing, the cold storage
plant, and other features of his business,
for exhibition at the Panama Pacific Ex-
position at San Francisco in 1915, thus
conveying to the Californians a knowl-



217



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



edge of what can be done in New Eng-
land in the line of apple growing. He
has exceeded in production those of the
famed Hood River Valley in Oregon and
the fruits of the State of Washington in
value, and it is a notable fact that he sells
apples in that section. His fruit is packed
in bushel boxes especially made for him,
each box bearing his name, and each
apple wrapped separately, in which form
it reaches the consumer; many of these
in London and other places across the
water receive the fruit direct from Mr.
Marshall's orchard. During the winters
he occupies a city residence in Fitchburg,
and his summers are spent at the old
homestead, which he has greatly im-
proved in every way. Besides improving
the residence and ordinary farm build-
ings, he has erected a large cold storage
plant for preserving his product, and has
greatly improved the roadway through
his property, building at his own expense
a macadam road, and has inclosed the
entire one hundred and fifty acres with
a six-foot fence. The output of the
orchard in 1914 was about seven thou-
sand bushel boxes, from about three
thousand bearing trees, out of seven thou-
sand on the place. Twelve hundred of
these trees bear Baldwins, and the others
are about equally divided between Sutton
Beauties and Wealthies. Thirty-five hun-
dred trees bear the famous Macintosh
Reds, the best table apple known to the
trade. To the one hundred and five acres
now occupied by his orchards will be
added fifteen more, which are already pre-
pared for the setting of the trees in the
spring. The Fitchburg "Daily Sentinel"
of October 19, 1914, said: "In the buy-
a-barrel-of-apples movement, which is
claiming attention in newspapers through-
out New England, the famous Marshall
orchard in this city and its great apple
crop are mentioned quite frequently. In



an interview recently published J. Lewis
Ellsworth, formerly secretary of the state
board of agriculture, now an 'agricultural
booster' for Worcester county, said:
'Never in the history of Worcester county
has there been shown so much interest in
apple raising as at present. The produc-
tion of apples this season has been a good
one ,both as to quality and quantity, and,
moreover, apples are to be offered for
sale at reasonable prices to the consumer.
Worcester county apples have a distinc-
tive flavor that makes them superior to
Western apples. Respecting the prices
of apples, A. A. Marshall, Fitchburg, who
may not only be called the apple king of
Massachusetts, but the apple king of New
England as well, is obtaining anywhere
from $3 to $3.50 a bushel box for his
apples. The reason he is able to obtain
such a good pric; i^ that he has a trade-
marked apple. His apples are standard,
always the same. They are a perfect
apple. Mr. Marshall has about 7,000
bushel boxes. There is going to be a
good market for all hand-picked apples,
and the buy-a-barrel-of-apples movement
is progressing rapidly. Massachusetts is
not asking the assistance of the govern-
ment as are the Southern cotton planters,
who are promoting a movement for
Southern cotton growers to secure $250,-
000,000, so that the cotton men can hold
the crop. No, Massachusetts doesn't
need anything of that kind.'" Mr. Mar-
shall is a Unitarian in religious belief,
and while interested in the material and
moral progress of the nation, refuses to
be allied with any political party, and has
steadfastly refused to accept any official
station.

He married, December 22, 1875, Etta
E. Peirce, of Fitchburg, daughter of
James and Ellen Lavina (Weatherbee)
Peirce. Children: 1. George A., born
June 30, 1877; a graduate of the Fitch-



218



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



burg high school, and has always been
associated with his father in fruit raising,
making his home on the old homestead ;



Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 32 of 62)