American Historical Society. 1n.

New England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 42 of 62)
Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 42 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tural Society ; the Worcester County Me-
chanics Association ; the Worcester Cham-
ber of Commerce, the Worcester Coun-
try Club, and the Massachusetts Repub-
lican Club.

In public life Mr. Harrington has had a
long and distinguished career. From
early manhood he has been a Republican
in politics. In 1887 he was elected alder-
man, defeating Andrew Athy, Democrat,
and unanimously reelected. In 1889 he
was president of the board. He served
as chairman of the committee on finance
and chairman of the committee on sewers
when the disposal works were planned
and the construction begun. He was the
Republican candidate for mayor in De-
cember, 1889, and was elected. His op-
ponent was A. George Bullock, candidate
of the Citizen and Democratic parties.
He was reelected in 1890 and 1891, his
opponents at the polls being Benjamin W.
Childs and Joseph S. Perry. In 1890 the
sewage disposal system was put into suc-
cessful operation. In 1891 fire engine
houses at Lake View and Quinsigamond
were erected; the office of superintendent
of street lights was created : the new pub-
lic library building erected at a cost of
$108,000 exclusive of the land it occupied.
In 1892 the Holden dam, was raised, in-
creasing the water supply ; the English
High School (now occupied by the Class-
ical High) was completed; new school
houses erected on Millbury and Canter-



280



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



bury streets. Notwithstanding the in-
creased cost of government and the addi-
tion of new buildings, the tax rate during
his administration was lower than it had
been for many years previously. This
was due, it is conceded, to the harmony
and excellent team work in the various
city departments, due chiefly to the good
judgment and conciliatory but efficient
policy of the mayor himself. He took a
keen interest in the public schools and as
cx-officio chairman of the school commit-
tee made periodic visits to every school in
the city, visiting the class rooms and in-
specting the buildings. Mr. Harrington
was one of the few mayors who were
natives of the city, and none had a wider
circle of personal acquaintance among all
classes of people. Owing to his activity
in fraternal organizations, his extended
business dealings, as well as his other
associations in the militia, in politics and
in school, he not only knew the people of
the city but its needs, its capabilities for
progress along certain lines and the neces-
sity of planning for its expansion and
growth. He steered the city calmly
through three trying years, two of which
were no-license, securing an impartial and
proper administration of the law, as an
alderman in granting licenses fairly and
as mayor in preventing violations of the
laws. As mayor he takes rank among
the most efficient, both from a political
and business point of view. He was an
able executive and wise administrator,
trusted and honored by the people, re-
gardless of party lines or other divisions.
It was during his term that Curtis Chapel
was dedicated. His father was on the
aldermanic committee that purchased the
land for Hope Cemetery for the city.
When the donor made his presentation
speech, he expressed his pleasure in the
fact that the mayor who was to receiv:
the gift for the city was a native of



Worcester, that he had not only known
the mayor from boyhood, but his father,
grandfather and gTeat-grandfather as well.

During the years 1899, 1900 and 1901
Mr. Harrington represented his district
in the Massachusetts Senate. Against his
wishes, he was made chairman of the
committee on liquor laws and he served
three years. At the end of his term he
had the satisfaction of receiving letters
both from the supporters and opponents
of the various measures presented to this
committee and argued with great zeal and
some heat at times, both thanking the
chairman and committee for their fair-
ness and good judgment in the considera-
tion of bills and for their consideration at
hearings. He was also chairman of the
important committee on manufactures
and among other difficult duties he pre-
sided over the committees on mercantile
affairs and on manufactures, sitting
jointly, to arrange for legislation to secure
the consolidation of the public lighting
companies of Boston. The necessary
legislation was finally effected. He was
also a member of the committees on pub-
lic health and agriculture. As a legisla-
tor he proved intelligent, conservative,
indefatigable in laboring for the interests
of his district and city and for the gen-
eral welfare of the Commonwealth, re-
markable for his tactfulness and consider-
ation in dealing with problems and in
meeting the wishes of constituents and
petitioners in the General Court. His per-
sonal qualities made for him a career of
wide influence and usefulness in the Sen-
ate. For six years he was a director of
the Worcester Free Public Library, and
for about twelve years he was a trustee
of Hope Cemetery and president of the
board.

Mr. Harrington married (first) No-
vember 16, 1871, Roxanna M. Grout, born
at Spencer, died December 24, 1900, a



281



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



daughter of Silas and Eliza (Draper)
Grout. Her father was an active and
prominent citizen of Spencer, where he
died March n, 1879; her mother died
there October 18, 1869, aged fifty-nine
years. Mrs. Harrington was a past ma-
tron of Stella Chapter and past grand
matron of the State. Mr. Harrington
married (second) May 28, 1902, Lillia
(Dudley) Leighton, whose only daughter,
Leora, married Mr. Harrington's second
son, Frank Chester Harrington (VIII).
Mrs. Harrington is a daughter of Joseph
Smith and Sarah Ann (Lamson) Dudley,
of Augusta, Maine. She is a member of
Stella Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star,
member of the Worcester Grange, and
of the Worcester Woman's Club, and a
trustee of the First Spiritual Church
of Worcester. Children by first wife,
born at Worcester: 1. Charles Arthur,
mentioned below. 2. Frank Chester, men-
tioned below. 3. May Emily, born May
6, 1878, married James P. Gray; no issue.
(VII) Daniel A. Harrington, son of
Captain Daniel Harrington, was born
May 8, 1851. He attended the public
schools and then completed his education
at Howe's Business College and at the
Worcester Academy. He followed farm-
ing on the old homestead for a few years
and engaged in contracting and in the
dairy business. In 1876 he became a part-
ner of his brother in the firm of Harring-
ton Brothers, proprietors of a livery stable
in Worcester, and he continued in this
business up to March 1, 1916. He did a
general livery business, including board-
ing of horses and renting of hacks and
other vehicles. He always kept abreast
of the times in methods and equipment.
He was president and treasurer of the
Harrington Automobile Station for a
number of years, and did an extensive
business in carriage and automobile paint-
ing, also blacksmithing in connection
with his other duties.



Mr. Harrington and his wife are char-
ter members of the Worcester Grange,
Patrons of Husbandry, of which but four
charter members are living. He is past
noble grand of Quinsigamond Lodge of
Odd Fellows ; past chief patriarch of Mt.
Vernon Encampment, No. 53, and past
commandant of Canton Worcester, No.
3 ; past colonel of the Third Regiment of
Patriarchs Militant of Massachusetts and
past brigadier-general of the Second Bri-
gade of this order. He is also a member
of the Worcester Council, Royal Ar-
canum, and a member of the Veterans of
the City Guards, in which he served three
years. He was formerly a member of the
Worcester County Mechanics' Associa-
tion. He and his wife are members also
of Union Church (Congregational) and
charter members of Utopia Rebekah
Lodge, No. 107. He is a resident trustee
of the Odd Fellows Home in Worcester.
He was chairman of the committee that
induced the trustees to locate the home
in Worcester and was chief marshal at
the exercises when the cornerstone was
laid, 1892. In politics he is a Republican.
He served two years in the board of
aldermen of the city, and was a member
of the board when the vote was passed to
build the new City Hall in 1895. He was
on the sewer and fire committees of the
board of aldermen and was chairman of
the sewer committee the second year.

He married, June 19, 1873, Jennie A.
Speirs, daughter of John and Janet
(Adams) Speirs. She had brothers: John
C. and Frederick W. Speirs (now de-
ceased), of Philadelphia; sisters: Mary
E., widow of Iver Johnson, of Fitchburg,
she died October 4, 1915 ; Mrs. Charles R.
Moules, of Lancaster, Massachusetts, and
Mrs. Arthur D. Pratt, of Shrewsbury.
Her father died in the spring of 1896; her
mother died September 14, 1903, aged
eighty-four years, one month, daughter of
James and Janet C. Adams, both natives



282



ENCYCLOPEDIA OE BIOGRAPHY



of Paisley, Scotland. The children of
James and Janet C. Adams were : Wil-
liam Adams, Joseph Adams, Mrs. Wil-
liam Maynard (see Maynard), Mrs. Eliz-
abeth Burleigh, and Jane Adams, who
died in 1914. Children of Mr. and Mrs.
Harrington: 1. Clara A., born March 24,
1874; graduate of the Worcester High
School and of the State Normal School,
Worcester, in 1896; teacher in the old
brick school house at Bloomingdale in
Worcester, where her father and she, as
well as many others of the family, had
attended school ; for eight years book-
keeper for her father; now representing
the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insur-
ance Company and other insurance com-
panies with offices in the Park building.
2. Josie A.; born December 8, 1875, died
May 1, 191 1, in the Philippines; married
Herbert P. Linnell, a graduate of the
Worcester Polytechnic Institute; he is
an officer of the Atlantic Gulf & Pacific
Company, a corporation engaged in con-
tracting extensively; children: Herbert
H. Linnell, born 1898; Philip W. Linnell,
born 1900; Gladys Janet Linnell ; the sons
are students in Worcester Academy. 3.
John S., born August 1, 1880, engaged in
the automobile business in Springfield,
Massachusetts ; has for a number of years
had the agency of the Hudson Automo-
bile Company for western Massachusetts,
and resides in Springfield ; he married,
June 10, 1902, Mabel M. Clarke, born Jan-
uary 21, 1881, daughter of William Clarke;
children: John S., Jr., born October 27,
1903, and William Clarke, born June 28,
1905. 4. Daniel A., Jr., born January 7,
1882; graduate of Worcester public and
high (English High) and Worcester
Polytechnic Institute, graduating in class
of 1906 with degree of Mechanical Engi-
neer; now engaged in the automobile
business with the Hudson Motor Com-
pany, having the agency at Hartford,



Connecticut ; he married Edith Thomp-
son, of Iowa ; no issue.

(VIII) Charles Arthur Harrington, son
of Hon. Francis Alfred Harrington, was
born at Worcester, January 26, 1874. He
attended the public schools, graduating
from the high school in 1891 and from the
Worcester Polytechnic Institute in 1895
with the degree of Bachelor of Science.
While at Worcester "Tech" he was prom-
inent in athletics, serving as president of
the Athletic Association ; he was active in
football and on the track excelled in the
quarter mile. He taught in the evening
schools for two years and in the high
school for five years. During the past
fifteen years he has been associated with
his father and brother in the management
of the Masonic Protective Association
and the Ridgely Protective Association
and at the present time is secretary of the
former. He is past master of Athelstan
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and
past commander of Worcester County
Commandery, Knights Tem.plar. It is a
fact, perhaps without parallel, that his
father and brother have also filled both
these offices in the same organizations.
Like his father also, he has been master
of the Worcester Grange. He has been
sovereign prince of Goddard Council,
Princes of Jerusalem, and has taken the
thirty-second degree of Free Masonry.
He is a member of Eureka Chapter, Royal
Arch Masons ; of Hiram Council, Royal
and Select Masters ; Worcester Lodge of
Perfection ; Lawrence Chapter of Rose
Croix, and Stella Chapter, Order of the
Eastern Star, of Worcester; the Massa-
chusetts Consistory and Aleppo Temple,
Mystic Shrine ; past monarch of Aletheia
Grotto. He is a member of Quinsiga-
mond Lodge, No. 43, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, also a member of the
Worcester Chamber of Commerce, the
Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, the



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Worcester Country Club, the Worcester
County Agricultural Society and the
Worcester County Mechanics' Associa-
tion. He is president of the Wells Chem-
ical Bronze Works of Worcester. Mr.
Harrington is the third generation of the
family to serve in the city government.
From 1908 to 1914 he was a member of
the Common Council, a period of five
years, during which he was for two years
(1912-13) president. He served on the
committees on streets, sewers and finance,
and for three years on the board of over-
seers of the poor. In politics he is a Re-
publican. He resides on the old home-
stead, which has been in the family de-
scending from father to son since 1741.

He married, June 27, 1900, Luella
Blanche Crook, born February 25, 1872,
daughter of David W. R. and Frances E.
(Cushing) Crook, of Columbus, Ohio.
Children : Ruth Anna, born July 23, 1901 ;
Mildred Elizabeth, March 4, 1903; Fran-
cis Alfred, 2d., August 28, 1909.

(VIII) Frank Chester Harrington, son
of Hon. Francis Alfred Harrington, was
born at Worcester, February 6, 1876. He
was educated in the public schools of his
native city, graduating from the high
school in 1894 and from the Worcester
Polytechnic Institute with the degree of
Bachelor of Science in 1898, and was
president of his class. He was prominent
in athletics while at the Worcester Poly-
technic Institute and was fullback on the
football team during his senior year. For
two years afterward he was engaged in
the manufacture of special machinery at
Ayer, Massachusetts. Subsequently he
became secretary of the Callahan Supply
Company of Worcester, dealers in plum-
bers' materials, withdrawing from that
concern in 1904 to become associated
with his father and brother in the Ma-
sonic Protective Association and the
Ridgely Protective Association, and he



is at present a director of the former and
secretary of the latter. He is also treas-
urer of the Wells Chemical Bronze Works
of Worcester, an old and well known con-
cern. Mr. Harrington is a thirty-second
degree Mason, a member and past master
of Athelstan Lodge ; member of Eureka
Chapter, Royal Arch Masons ; Hiram
Council, Royal and Select Masters ;
Worcester Commandery, Knights Tem-
plar, of which he is past commander;
Worcester Lodge of Perfection; God-
dard Council, Princes of Jerusalem, of
which he is sovereign prince ; Lawrence
Chapter of Rose Croix ; Aletheia Grotto
of Worcester; Stella Chapter, Order of
the Eastern Star, of Worcester; Aleppo
•Temple, Mystic Shrine, and the Massa-
chusetts Consistory. He is also a menv
ber of Quinsigamond Lodge of Odd Fel-
lows; of Worcester Grange, Patrons of
Husbandry; the Commonwealth Club;
the Tatassit Canoe Club ; the Chamber of
Commerce; the Worcester County Agri-
cultural Society; the Worcester County
Mechanics Association ; the Sigma Alpha
Epsilon fraternity ; of the Polytechnic In-
stitute and the Worcester Country Club,
in which he served on the first board of
governors.

He married, June 17, 1900, Leora
Leighton, born at Pepperell, Massachu-
setts, April 11, 1879, daughter of Frank
and Lillia (Dudley) Leighton. Children,
born in Worcester : Frank Leighton, born
January 17, 1902; Robert Dudley, Octo-
ber 17, 1903; Lillia Leighton, November
4, 1904; Anna Grout, March 6, 1906.



WILLIAMS, Lewis,

Man of Affairs.

In the ancient town of Taunton there
are still representatives of the famous
Cromwell-Williams line of the family
bearing the latter name. Reference is



284




£V k, £■£ UW™, 3 En JOT



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



made to some of the posterity of Richard
Williams, who with Oliver Cromwell,
the "Lord Protector," sprang from the
same ancestor, William Cromwell, a son
of Robert Cromwell, of Carleton upon
Trent, a Lancastrian who was killed at
the battle of Towton, in 1461. Many
years ago the statement was made, and
afterward vehemently doubted, that the
family of Richard Williams, of Taunton,
was connected by ties of blood with that
of Oliver Cromwell. This fact was estab-
lished by the wonderful patience and per-
severance, and at considerable expense,
of the late Hon. Joseph Hartwell Wil-
liams, of Augusta, Maine, a former gov-
ernor of Maine, a direct descendant of
Richard Williams, of Taunton. The fol-
lowing is an account of this connection
taken from the New England Historical
and Genealogical Register of April, 1897,
abridged by the late Josiah H. Drum-
mond, LL. D., of Portland, Maine.

The Cromwell line dates from Alden
de Cromwell, who lived in the time of
William the Conqueror. His son was
Hugh de Cromwell, and from him de-
scended ten Ralph de Cromwells in as
many successive generations ; but the
tenth Ralph died without issue. The
seventh Ralph de Cromwell married, in
1351, Amicia, daughter of Robert Berer,
M. P., for Notts ; besides the eighth Ralph,
they had several other sons, among whom
was Ulker Cromwell, of Hucknall Tor-
kard, Notts. Ulker had Richard; and
he, John of Cromwell House, Carleton
upon Trent, Notts ; and he, Robert ; the
names of the wives are not given.

(I) Robert Cromwell, of Carleton upon
Trent, was a Lancastrian. He was killed
at the battle of Towton, in 1461. His
lease of Cromwell House was seized by
Sir Humphrey Bourchier, Yorkist, who
was the husband of Joan Stanhope, the
granddaughter of the ninth Ralph,
through his daughter Matilda, wife of



Sir Richard Stanhope. Ralph left a son
William, the ancestor of Robert Crom-
well, and a daughter Margaret, the an-
cestor of both Oliver Cromwell and Rich-
ard Williams, of Taunton.

(II) William Cromwell, of the prebend
of Palace Hall, Norwalk, Notts, settled
in Putney, Surrey, 1452. He married
Margaret Smyth, daughter of John
Smyth, of Norwalk, Notts, and had
John. Margaret Cromwell married Wil-
liam Smyth (son of John). They had
son Richard Smyth and daughter Joan
Smyth.

(III) John Cromwell, son of William
Cromwell, married his cousin, Joan
Smyth. He was a Lancastrian, and his
lands at Putney were seized by Arch-
bishop Bourchier, Lord of the Manor of
Wimbledon, and his lease of Palace Hall,
Norwalk, Notts, remised by Lord Chan-
cellor Bourchier. They had, among other
children, Walter Cromwell. Richard
Smyth, of Rockhampton, Putney, by
wife, Isabella, had daughter Margaret
Smyth, who married John Williams,
fourth in descent from Howell Williams,
the head of the Williams line.

(IV) Walter Cromwell, married, in
1474, the daughter of Glossop, of Wirks-
worth, Derbyshire; in 1472 he claimed
and was admitted to two virgates (thirty
acres) of land at Putney ; in 1499 Arch-
bishop Morton, Lord of Wimbledon
Manor, gave him six virgates (ninety
acres) of land in Putney as a solatium
for the property taken from his father
by the Bourchier Yorkists. He died in
1516, leaving among other children
Katherine Cromwell.

(V) Katherine Cromwell married Mor-
gan Williams, fifth in descent from How-
ell Williams, and had a son Richard Wil-
liams, born about 1495.

(VI) Sir Richard Williams, alias Crom-
well, married, in 15 18, Frances Murfyn.
He died at Stepney in 1547, and was



285



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



buried in Gt. St. Helen's Church, Lon-
don. He left son Henry Cromwell, alias
Williams.

(VII) Sir Henry Cromwell, alias Wil-
liams (called "The Golden Knight"), of
Hinchenbrook, married Joan, daughter of
Sir Ralph Warren, Lord Mayor of Lon-
don, and they had: Sir Oliver, Robert,
Henry, Richard, Philip, Joan, Elizabeth
and Frances.

(VIII) Robert Cromwell, of Hunting-
don, brewer, married Elizabeth Stewart,
widow of William Lynn, of Bassingbourn,
and their fifth child was Oliver Cromwell,
the "Lord Protector." Robert's sister,
Elizabeth Cromwell, married William
Hampden, of Great Hampden, Bucks, and
among their children were John Hamp-
den, "The Patriot," and Richard Hamp-
den.

Governor Williams, through his assis-
tants, traced the Williams line back to
Howell Williams, Lord of Ribour.

Howell Williams, the Lord of Ribour,
married Wenlion, daughter and heiress of
Llyne ap Jevan, of Rady, and had son
Morgan Williams.

Morgan Williams was of Lanishen,
Glamorgan, married Joan Batton, daugh-
ter of Thomas Batton, of Glamorgan, and
they had Thomas and Jevan. Jevan Wil-
liams married Margaret, daughter of Jen-
kin Kemeys, of Bagwye Man. They had
son William Williams, of Lanishen,
bailiff for Henry VIII., who (wife not
known) was the father of Morgan Wil-
liams, of Lanisben, Glamorgan, and later
of Putney, Surrey, ale brewer at Putney,
Wansworth, and Greenwich, for Henry
VII. and Henry VIII., and the husband
in 1494 of Katherine Cromwell — see ante
Cromwell, No. 5, et scq.

Thomas Williams was of Lanishen,
Glamorgan, died at St. Helen's, Bishop-
gate, London ; was buried in the church
there, "with his brass on stone."

John Williams was steward of Wim-



bledon Manor, Surrey, married Margaret
Smyth, daughter of Richard Smyth, and
granddaughter of Margaret Cromwell
(see ante Cromwell, Nos. 1, 2). He died
at Mortlake in 1502, and she in 1501.
They had two sons, John and Richard.
John Williams, born in 1485, married
Joan Wykys, daughter of Henry Wykys,
of Bolleys Park Chertney, and sister of
Elizabeth Wykys, who married Thomas
Cromwell (brother of Katherine), secre-
tary to Henry VIII., Lord Cromwell of
Oakham, Earl of Essex.

Richard Williams was born in Rock-
hampton in 1487. He settled at Mon-
mouth and Dixton, Mon., where he died
in 1559. He was twice married. The
name of his first wife is not known.
She is credited with one daughter, Joan.
His second wife, Christian, had two
daughters, Reece and Ruth, and one son,
John.

John Williams was of Huntingdon,
near Wotton under Edge, Gloucester,
died in 1579, leaving son William. No
other particulars of this family are given.

William Williams was of Hunting-
don, married, November 15, 1585, Jane
Shepherd. She died about 1600, a child
of hers having been baptized December
2, 1599. He married, December 4, 1603,
Jane Woodward. She died February 2.
1614, and he in 1618. The first child by
his second marriage, born in January,
1606, was Richard Williams, of Taunton.
Of the change of his name by Sir Rich-
ard Williams, Governor Williams said:
"Oliver Cromwell in the male line of Mor-
gan Williams of Glamorganshire. His
great-grandfather, Sir Richard Williams,
assumed the name of 'Cromwell,' it is
true, but not until in mature years he had
distinguished himself in the public service
(temp. Henry VIII.) , under the patron-
age of his uncle, Thomas Cromwell
(Vicar General, 1535), whom he pro-
posed to honor by the adoption of his



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



name. In fact, ever afterwards, Sir Rich-
ard used to sign himself, 'Richard Crom-
well, alias Williams;' and his sons and
grandsons, and Oliver Cromwell him-
self, in his youth (1620), used to sign in
the same manner. In important grants
from the crown to Sir Richard (29 and
31, Henry VIII.), the grantees name ap-
pears in both forms, 'Cromwell, alias Wil-
liams' and 'Williams, alias Cromwell.' "
It is not believed that, in the light of
Governor Williams' researches, the rela-
tionship of Richard Williams, of Taun-
ton, and the Cromwell family will again
be questioned.

(I) Richard Williams, son of William
Williams, of Huntingdon, and his wife,
Jane (Woodward) Williams, born in Jan-
uary, 1606, married in Gloucester, Eng-
land, February II, 1632, Frances Dighton,
daughter of Dr. John Dighton, and for
whom the town of Dighton, Massachu-
setts, was named. Richard Williams came
to America and was among the first pur-
chasers of Taunton. He was a man of
good abilities ; was deputy to the General
Court of Plymouth Colony from 1645 to
1665; selectman in 1666 and 1667, ar, d
was one of the proprietors of the "New
Purchase," now Dighton. He was a
member and deacon of the First Church,
and died in the year 1693, aged eighty-
seven. Children (eldest two born while
the parents were living in Gloucester, in
the parish of Whitcombe Magna, both
died young) : John, baptized March 27,
1634; Elizabeth, February 7, 1636; Sam-



Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 42 of 62)