American Historical Society. 1n.

New England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 45 of 62)
Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 45 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


life being due to his untiring energy, keen
foresight and recognized executive abil-
ity, and his position as a business man,
citizen and individual was the result of
these qualities combined with an intelli-
gent application of purpose. He pos-
sessed a genial, even temperament, was
sympathetic, charitable and warm in his
impulses, polite to all, and the friends he
made continued ever staunch ones. From
his early years his integrity, his energy,
his business capacity, had made him a
conspicuous man in the community in
which his long and active business career
had been passed, and he gave freely of his
ability, his means and his time to all
worthy enterprises. Mr. Lake passed
away at his home on French street, Fall
River, June 11, 1913, honored and re-
spected by all who knew him for his ster-
ling traits of character. His remains were
laid to rest in Oak Grove Cemetery, Fall
River. Some years preceding his demise
Mr. Lake built his handsome residence
on French street, in the planning and de-
signing of which he was ably aided by his
devoted wife, and which stands as a
monument to his good taste and excellent
executive ability.

The Gulliver family, from which Mrs.
Lake is descended, is of English extrac-



300



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



tion. Thomas Marshall Gulliver came
from England and settled in Bangor,
Maine. His son, Thomas Marshall Gulli-
ver, Jr., born in that city, was a carriage
manufacturer for many years in East
Corinth, where he was well and favorably
known, and where he passed away in
1886. He married Abigail Chase, a native
of Bangor, Maine, and a descendant of
one of New England's earliest settled
families. Mrs. Gulliver died in 1892, in
East Corinth, the mother of four chil-
dren, namely: 1. A daughter, who died
in infancy. 2. Sidney W., now living in
Swansea, Massachusetts. 3. Emma Fran-
ces, who is the widow of Edward Bennett
Lake, of Fall River, Massachusetts. 4.
George Emerson, who died at Lynn, Mas-
sachusetts, aged thirty years.



DAY, John Eddy,

Lawyer, Real Estate Expert.

Ralph Day, the immigrant ancestor,
was born in England. He settled in Ded-
ham, Massachusetts, about 1640; was ad-
mitted a townsman there, February 1,
1644-45, an d a freeman in May, 1645. He
was ensign of the Dedham military com-
pany, and used to beat the drum for meet-
ings before the days of church bells. He
was selectman of the town in 1661 and
1662. He died October 28, 1677. His
will was dated September 12, 1677, and
proved February 1, 1678, mentioning his
wife Abigail and children, John, Ralph,
Mary and Abigail. He left his tools and
drum to his son Ralph, a citterne to Abi-
gail and one of his swords to his son-in-
law, John Ruggles. He married (first)
Susan, daughter of Jonathan Fairbanks,
whose house is still standing, one of the
finest landmarks of Dedham. Jonathan
Fairbanks (Fairbank or Fayerbank) was
born in England before 1600 at Sowerby
in Halifax, county of York, and came to



New England with his wife and six chil-
dren in 1633, becoming one of the found-
ers of Dedham ; he died December 26,
1669; his wife, Grace (Lee) Fairbanks,
died about 1673. Ralph Day married
(second) Abigail Pond, daughter of Dan-
iel Pond, another pioneer of Dedham.
Children of Ralph Day: Elizabeth, bap-
tized July 3, 1648, died young; Mary, No-
vember 9, 1649; Susan, 1652; John, April
15, 1654; Ralph, mentioned below; Abi-
gail, April 22, 1661 ; all born in Dedham.

(II) Ralph (2) Day, son of Ralph (1)
Day, was born in Dedham, Massachu-
setts, and baptized there February 11,
1657. He was admitted a freeman of Ded-
ham in 1690, and was a life-long resident
of that town. He died there October 21,
1694. He married Sarah Fuller, daugh-
ter of Thomas and Hannah (Fowler) Ful-
ler. Children : Ralph, mentioned below ;
Thomas, born June 19, 1686; Sarah;
Mary; Jeremiah, September 28, 1692;
Abiel.

(III) Ralph (3) Day. son of Ralph (2)
Day, was born in Dedham, October 28,
16S3. He married (first) June 30, 1708,
Elizabeth Ellis, who died July 26, 1715.
He married (second) June 20, 1716, Mar-
tha Battle. He lived in what is now the
town of Wrentham. Two children are
recorded at Dedham : Jonathan, men-
tioned below; Martha, born May 26, 1732.

(IV) Jonathan Day, son of Ralph (3)
Day, was born at Dedham, December 22,
1719. He lived for some years in Need-
ham, Massachusetts, formerly part of
Dedham. In 1763 he was of Needham,
when he bought the home lot of Joseph
Chamberlain at Oxford, Massachusetts,
on Doudet Hill. In 1784 he sold half of
this farm to his son David. He died at
Oxford, January 4, 1802. He married
(first) July 4, 1743, Hannah Battle, of
Dedham; (second) August 7, 1784, Pru-
dence Whiting, of Dedham. His will was



301



ENCYCLOPEDIA OE BIOGRAPHY



dated December 29, 1801, and proved
June 1, 1802. He bequeathed to Jonathan,
his son, and three daughters. Children :
Jonathan, mentioned below ; Sarah, mar-
ried John Mayo; Rebecca, married Peleg
Corbin; Hannah Dix (deceased), of New-
town. The history of Oxford mentions
also a son David, born about 1759.

(V) Colonel Jonathan (2) Day, son of
Jonathan (1) Day, was born at Needham,
May 4, 1744, and died May 10, 1819, aged
seventy-four years (gravestone). He was
a soldier in the Revolution, a cornet in
Captain Ebenezer Crafts's company, Colo-
nel Larned's regiment at the time of the
battle of Lexington. After the war he
was colonel of a regiment of militia. He
settled in Dudley, in what is now the
town of Webster, Worcester county, Mas-
sachusetts, October 2, 1776, and was a
leading citizen, able and honorable, as
stated by the historian of Oxford and
evidenced by the records of the town of
Dudley. He held the office of coroner.
He was a farmer. He married, May 21.
1767, Mary Mayo, who died at Dudley,
January 24, 1819, aged seventy-four years.

John Mayo, father of Mary (Mayo)
Day, was born September 17, 1709. H(
married (first) February 15, 1733, Mary,
daughter of Isaac Larned, and she died
September 26, 1742; married (second)
November 9, 1743, Elizabeth, daughter
of Samuel Davis, who married (second)
December 12, 1754, Major William
Larned, of Killingly, Connecticut, and
died February 26, 1810. John Mayo was
the first of the name to settle in Oxford
and lived on Bernon land, near the old
fort. He died July 27, 1752. Children of
John Mayo by first wife: Mary, born
March 7, 1734; Thomas, 1735, died 1736;
Thomas, 1737, died 1742; Elizabeth, 1738,
died 1740; John, born and died 1740;
Thomas, April 15, 1742. Children of John
Mayo by second wife : Mary, October 10,



1744, married Jonathan Day, mentioned
above; John, December 16, 1746, married
Sarah Day, sister of Jonathan Day ; Eliz-
abeth, September 14, 1748, married Salem
Towne, of Charlton ; Sarah, November
12, 1750, married, May 19, 1777, Joseph
Keith, of Dudley ; Harmon, December 7,
1752, married William Carter.

Thomas Mayo, father of John Mayo,
was baptized November 16, 1673 ; mar-
ried, May 4, 1699, at Roxbury, Elizabeth
Davis, sister of Deacon Samuel Davis.
She was born April, 1678; he died May
26, 1750. Thomas Mayo, Samuel Davis
and others bought the Bernon land in
Oxford. Children of Thomas Mayo:
Hannah, born April 4, 1700; Mary, May
22, 1702; Sarah, May 30, 1705; Elizabeth,
September 22, 1707; John, mentioned
above, born September 17, 1709; Thomas,
September 23, 1713 ; Abigail, September,
1715 ; Joseph, born and died in 1717;
Mary, February 20, 1719; Joseph, Febru-
ary 28, 1721 ; Mehitable, April 12, 1724.

John Mayo, the pioneer in this country,
father of Thomas Mayo, came with his
mother, then the wife of Robert Gamlin,
Jr., from England. He married Hannah
■ , and lived in Roxbury.

Children of Jonathan Day: Jonathan,
born July 21, 1768, died young; Mary,
April 29, 1770, died September 30, 1772;
Jabez, April 2, 1772, married Sally Eddy
and had John Eddy Day, a lieutenant,
General Jonathan Day and other chil-
dren ; Jonathan, April 3, 1774, died young ;
Dolly, April 8, 1776, married Asa Harris;
Hannah, September 6, 1778, married Au-
gustus Eddy; Rebecca, July 15, 1781, mar-
ried Parker Palmer; Elizabeth, May 7,
1784, married Rufus Larned; John Han-
cock, mentioned below.

(VI) John Hancock Day, son of Colo-
nel Jonathan (2) Day, was born at Dud-
ley, October 12, 1787. He was educated
in the district schools of Dudley and be-



302



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



came a prominent citizen in the new
town of Webster, the incorporation of
which was caused by the growth due to
the mills established by the Slaters. He
was a selectman for several years. He died
at Webster, October 2j, 1865. He mar-
ried, September 9, 1821, Martha A. Kid-
der, who was born April 2, 1795, ac-
cording to the record on her gravestone.
She was a daughter of Samuel and Zilpha
(Bacon) Kidder, and was born at Wards-
boro, Vermont. She died in 1864. Chil-
dren: 1. John, born 1823, baptized at
Webster, August 23, 1830; lived at Em-
porium, Pennsylvania ; left a large fam-
ily. 2. Samuel Kidder, born December
17, 1824, died aged eight years. 3. .'.
gustus Eddy, mentioned below. 4. Mar-
tha, born January 8, 1829; married, Oc-
tober 27, 1870, W. L. Burleson, a native
of Jewett City, Connecticut, son of Ed
ward Burleson ; he died December 20,
1890, leaving no children by this mar-
riage ; she resides at Webster. 5. Lucian
H., born January 29, 1831. 6. Larned, de-
ceased.

(VII) Augustus Eddy Day, son of
John Hancock Day, was born in 1827, at
Webster, was baptized there July 22,
1827, and died in Webster. He resided at
Killingly, Connecticut, and Webster,
Massachusetts. For twenty years he was
postmaster at Webster. He married
Lucy Ann Short. Children: 1. Eben, died
aged twenty-five years. 2. John Eddy,
mentioned below. 3. Emma Augusta,
died in 1883 ; married George Frank
Keith, son of Parmenus Keith, of Web-
ster, and had one son, Franklin Day
Keith, now general manager of the Day
Trust, 250 Day Building, Worcester;
Franklin D. Keith married Winnifred
Prentiss, of Washington, D. C. and has
one son, Barker Day Keith.

(VIII) John Eddy Day, son of Au-
gustus Eddy Day, was born at South



Killingly, Connecticut, March 26, 1S51,
died November 12, 1907. He attended
the public schools of his native town and
of Webster, and prepared for college at
Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachu-
setts. He entered Amherst College, from
which he was graduated with the degree
of Bachelor of Arts in the class of 1S71.
In the autumn of that year he became
principal of the Westborough High
School and he continued in this position
until 1874, when he was elected superin-
tendent of the Westborough schools. At
the end of the year he became a student
in the Boston University Law School,
from which he was graduated in 1876.
He had begun the study of law in the
office of Hon. George Frisbie Hoar. Soon
after graduation he was admitted to the
bar of Suffolk county. He immediately
opened an office and began to practice
law in Worcester, in the old post office
building on Pearl street. He made a spe-
cialty of real estate law, and early in his
career came to be recognized as an au-
thority in the subject and an expert judge
of values. He also had an extensive prac-
tice in the probate court. He was also
trustee for many estates. Gradually he
came to devote considerable of his time
to real estate, in which he invested largely
and wisely. He built a number of large
business buildings and in some cases was
his own architect and builder. When the
State Mutual Building was to be erected,
his instinct, together with his ability to
judge real estate values, prompted him
to buy the site of the Brinley estate and
from other owners, and he later showed
similar commendable ability in his pur-
chase of lands and buildings which he
profitably sold to the Slater estate when
that new office building was projected.
He owned the Day Building, one of th
largest office buildings of the city, at the
time of its construction, extending from



303



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



No. 252 Main street to Walnut, west tc
Eden street, excepting the building of
the Worcester Five Cents Savings Bank
Building on the corner. He was the
owner of the adjoining blocks on Main
street, known as the Flagg Building, and
the Spy Building, including two spacious
buildings in the rear occupied by manu-
facturers. He also owned considerable
residential property. Mr. Day had tin.
confidence of everybody with whom he
ever dealt, owing to his unquestionable
honesty, whether in small or large mat-
ters, this splendid trait showing clearly in
every transaction. At the time of his
death he was assessed for $725,400 on real
estate, of which $389,000 was on land.
Under the terms of his will his property
was placed in trust for the benefit of his
wife and children, the Worcester Trust
Company, trustee, and his nephew, Frank-
lin D. Keith, who was associated with
Mr. Day for a number of years, is the
general manager of the properties. Mr.
Day's residence was for many years at
No. 179 Pleasant street.

Mr. Day was keenly interested in the
welfare of the city. He assisted many a
business through difficulties, and saved
various industries in their days of weak-
ness from disaster. His contribution to
the prosperity and growth of the city can
never be accurately measured, for he
worked ceaselessly, but in a quiet way.
He possessed wonderful ability in
straightening out tangled business affairs
and in giving timely aid, advice and finan-
cial help. In politics he was a steadfast
Republican and his influence was often
used to induce men of high standing and
importance to consent to become candi-
dates for municipal office, yet in no sense
was he a politician. He had neither time
nor inclination to serve in public office,
neither the desire for the same, though
often urged to become a candidate. In



church matters he was earnest and active
from early manhood. He was a member
of the Salem Street Congregational
Church, which later united with the
Union Congregational Church, in which
he became one of the most prominent
members of the congregation. He was
chairman of the building committee and
a liberal contributor to the building fund
when the Union Congregational Church
was built. He afterward served for many
years in important offices in the church
and society. He contributed handsomely
to the building fund of the Young Men's
Christian Association, and gave to many
of the leading charities and beneficent in-
stitutions of the city in his customary
modest way. He was a member of the
Congregational Club, the Tatnuck Coun-
try Club, the Union Church Club, the
Amherst Club of Worcester, and the
Worcester Bar Association.

Mr. Day married, December 8, 1876,
Abbie Fay, born March 26, 1855, daugh-
ter of Hamilton Baxter and Hannah
(Fairbanks) Fay. Mrs. Day is a member
of the Daughters of the American Revo-
lution, Colonel Timothy E. Bigelow Chap-
ter ; Tatnuck Country Club ; Worcester
Woman's Club ; Worcester Art Club, and
Worcester Club House Association. Chil-
dren, born in Worcester: 1. Edith Hamil-
ton, died aged three years. 2. Edna
Frances, graduate of Smith College, class
of 1905; married Professor George H.
Blakeslee, of Clark University, depart-
ment of history; children: George Day
Blakeslee and Francis Hubbard Blakes-
lee ; they reside at No. 21 Downing street,
Worcester. 3. Alice Fairbanks, graduate
of Smith College, 1910; member of Col.
Timothy E. Bigelow Chapter, Daughters
of the American Revolution ; Descendants
of Colonial Governors ; Woman's Club ;
Worcester Tennis Club, and Leicester
Country Club. 4. Lucia Abbie, graduate



304



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



of Dana Hall, Wellesley College, Massa-
chusetts, class of 1910; member of Colo-
nel Timothy E. Bigelow Chapter, Daugh-
ters of the American Revolution. 5. John
Augustus, student at the Bancroft School
and under private tutors ; has traveled ex-
tensively ; now studying law ; member of
Tatnuck Country Club, Worcester Tennis
Club, and Leicester Country Club. 6.
Mildred Whitney, student at Rosemary
Hall, Greenwich, Rhode Island; member
of the Worcester Tennis Club.



BRIGHTMAN, Bradford,

Agriculturist, Surveyor.

The family of this name has flourished
in the bordering sections of Rhode Island
and Massachusetts from the earliest set-
tlement of that region. It has been con-
spicuously identified with the social,
moral and industrial development of the
section, and is still prominent in many
ways.

(I) Henry Brightman, of Plymouth,
Newport and Freetown, is of record at
Portsmouth, Rhode Island, as early as
June 6, 1670, in which year he became a
freeman and was juryman. He and his
wife Joan sold property lying on the east
side of Taunton river in March, 1677. He
was one of the grantees of the five thou-
sand acres of land which became the town
of East Greenwich, Rhode Island, though
he never went there to settle. He became
prominent in public life, serving as
deputy from Portsmouth in 1682, 1685,
1690 and 1691, was constable in 1687 and
on the grand jury in 1688. In 1674 he
bought lot No. 4 in Freeman's Purchase,
now Fall River, another lot, No. 5, in
1678, and a third lot, No. 6, in 1691, all
in Freeman's Purchase, on the west side
of the Taunton river. The ferry, which
he bought in 1674, was included with lot
No. 5 of the Freeman's Purchase. The
Indian Caucorbitent established this ferry
MASS-Voi. in— 20 305



across the river, using a canoe, and his
daughter, Weetamoe, used a raft for the
purpose. Henry Brightman was deputy
from Newport in 1705-06-07-08-09. His
wife Joan died in 1716, and he died in
1728. His children were: Henry, mar-
ried Elizabeth Lawton, lived in Ports-
mouth, and died in 1716, without issue;
Hester, married John Chandler; William,
married, January 22, 1708, Mercy Spurr,
and was of Newport and Portsmouth,
Rhode Island ; Thomas, mentioned be-
low; Sarah, married, November 10, 1678,
Hezekiah Hoar; Joseph, mentioned be-
low.

(II) Thomas Brightman, third son of
Henry and Joan Brightman, married and
was of Dartmouth, where he deeded six
acres of land to his son Thomas for
thirty-six pounds, this land being a part
of his homestead. Children : Henry, men-
tioned below; Mary, born March 15, 171 1,
married, July 3, 1735, Benjamin Potter;
Esther, November 7, 1712; Sarah, No-
vember 29, 1715; Thomas, November 20,
1718; William, September 20, 1720; Jo-
seph; Penelope; Jane, April 20, 1730.

(III) Henry (2) Brightman, eldest
child of Thomas Brightman, was born
November 4, 1709, and married Hannah
Potter.

(IV) Israel Brightman, son of Henry
(2) and Hannah (Potter) Brightman, was
a Revolutionary soldier, serving on an
alarm at Rhode Island. He enlisted Au-
gust 1, 1780, in Captain William Hicks'
company, Colonel John Hathaway 's (Sec-
ond Bristol County) regiment, and was
discharged August 7, 1780. He married,
October 15, 1772, in Little Compton,
Bethana Palmer, daughter of Sylvester
and Amey (Wait) Palmer.

(V) Cornelius Brightman, son of Israel
and Bethana (Palmer) Brightman, mar-
ried Rachel Allen, daughter of Humphrey
Allen, a Revolutionary soldier.

(VI) Bethana Brightman, daughter of



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Cornelius and Rachel (Allen) Brightman,
married Nathaniel Pearce, of Fall River,
Massachusetts (see Pearce VII).

(VII) Bethana Brightman Pearce,
daughter of Nathaniel and Bethana
(Brightman) Pearce, became the wife of
Philip H. Borden, of Fall River (see Bor-
den VIII).

(II) Joseph Brightman, youngest child
of Henry and Joan Brightman, born 1691,
died March 3, 1753. He located in Free-
town, Massachusetts, where in 1717 he
was assessor of taxes, and in 1721 on the
grand jury. The first school house in Fall
River was located on land given by Jo-
seph Brightman. He seems to have been
a farmer, but also to have operated a
ferry. This was what was known as
Slade's Ferry, and was operated by the
Brightmans and Slades. A deed of trans-
fer dated July 8, 1794, "in consideration
of thirty pounds, conveyed to Joseph
Brightman, Jr., of Taunton, a fourth part
of the Ferry with its privileges, com-
monly called Brightman & Slade's Ferry,
which fell to our honored mother Susanna
Tompkins, deceased, and also the Beach
of the northward of said Ferry as far as
to take in a small wharf called the Horse
Wharf." He married Susannah Turner,
daughter of Dr. Turner, died December
26, 1782. Children: Henry, born Septem-
ber 19, 1716; Joseph, mentioned else-
where; George, mentioned below; Mary,
born August 13, 1727, died November 20,
1774; Elizabeth, July 9, 1730; James, May
22, 1734, died August 27, 1762; Susanna,
May 14, 1736.

(Ill) George Brightman, third son of
Joseph and Susannah (Turner) Bright-
man, born September 16, 1721, married,,
October 18, 1744, at Newport, Hannah
Peckham, born October 13, 1728, in Little
Compton, daughter of Joseph and Eliza-
beth (Wilbur) Peckham, of that town
(see Peckham V).



(IV) George (2) Brightman, son of
George (1) and Hannah (Peckham)
Brightman, was born before 1750, in
Freetown, and lived in that town in what
is now Fall River, where he was a farmer,
and an extensive landowner. By trade
he was a tailor, and he followed this occu-
pation in connection with agriculture.
He made his home there until his death.
He married Hannah Daggett. Children:
Elizabeth (Betsey), born March 9, 1785,
married Henry Gibb; Edmund, July 10,
1786, married Betsey Southwick; Han-
nah, April 1, 1788, married Gardner
Brightman ; Susannah, December 2, 1789,
married Joseph Brightman ; Nathan, Jan-
uary 20, 1792, married (first) Hannah
Elsbree, (second) Sally Davis; Henry,
December 13, 1793, died unmarried;
Lydia, October 10, 1796, married Mr.
Pierce; George, March 11, 1799, died un-
married; Bradford, mentioned below;
Lucy, February 21, 1805, married a Mr.
Paine.

(V) Bradford Brightman, fifth son of
George (2) and Hannah (Daggett)
Brightman, born May 1, 1801, in what
is now Fall River, grew to manhood upon
the farm, and became one of the largest
landowners of the neighborhood. He was
also a surveyor, and was one of the best
known agriculturists of that section,
where he passed his life and died. His
body was deposited in Oak Grove Ceme-
tery at Fall River. He married (first)
Roda Wardell, daughter of Benjamin
Wardell, of Westport. He married (sec-
ond) in 1840, Temperance LeBaron
Thomas, born December 9, 1824, in
Middleboro, Massachusetts. She is now
living in Fall River, in the full possession
of her faculties, and very active in the
work of the Methodist Episcopal church,
of which she has been a member for
nearly three-quarters of a century. She
still retains the Brightman farm in Free-



306



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



town, but since 1S94 has lived in the city
of Fall River. Children of first marriage :
Henry, deceased ; Richmond ; Lydia, de-
ceased ; Jane, deceased; Leander, de-
ceased. The children of Bradford and
Temperance LeBaron (Thomas) Bright-
man were: 1. Phebe Augusta, now de-
ceased. 2. Abraham Shadrach, who died
in the Civil War. 3. Ellen Minerva, born
March 16, 1847, who married (first) Mar-
cus H. Gurney, and they had three chil-
dren, namely: (a) Leonard Bradford,
born October 24, 1865, who died March
15, 1888; (b) Abraham Shadrach Le-
Baron, born February 24, 1867, married
Etta Stanton, and they had three chil-
dren, namely : Abraham LeBaron Gur-
ney, born January 20, 1899, and two who
died in infancy; and (c) Nellie Prince,
born March 1, 1871, who died May 9,
1887. She married (second) William
Jeff, and to this union were born two
sons, namely : (d) Harry Wolcott, born
August 6, 1879, married, June 5 1906,
Bessie Briggs, and they have one daugh-
ter, Helen LeBaron Jeff, born May 27,
1907; and (e) Gordon Peter, born Janu-
ary 12, 1885, married, January 17, 1906,
Elizabeth Munroe, and to this union was
born one son, Bradford W. Jeff, who died
in infancy. 4. Temperance Henrietta,
born June 30, 1849, died April 13, 1896;
married Gustavus Leroy Barrows, and
they had one daughter, Phebe Lillian,
born December 22, 1868, who married,
September 22, 1887, Gardner Leslie Brad-
ford, and they have two children, namely :
Nellie Alvaro, born January 9, 1888, and
Leroy LeBaron Bradford, born May 21,
1898. 5. Elizabeth, who died in infancy.

(The Peckham Line).

(I) John Peckham is first found in
Newport, Rhode Island, in 1638. As he
was associated with several who sup-
ported Anne Hutchinson, it is thought
that he may have come with the Hutchin-



son party on the ship "Griffin," but his
name has not been found on any passen-



Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 45 of 62)