American Historical Society. 1n.

New England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 49 of 62)
Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 49 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he was dissatisfied, and in 1826 went to
Fall River, where he served an appren-
ticeship of three years at the mason's
trade under Mr. John Phinney, one of
the contractors and builders of that day
in the town. He continued to work for
this employer after the expiration of the
term of his apprenticeship as a journey-
man workman until the year 183 1. In
the last named year he began the business
of contracting and building on his own
account, an occupation he continued in,
and most successfully, throughout the
remainder of his active business life.
After beginning for himself the first work
of any considerable size that he did was
the building of the substantial edifice of
the Congregational church, which stood
on the corner of Main and Elm streets,
Fall River, and which was sold to the
Masonic Association in 1915 ; and many
are the substantial buildings in and
about Fall River of to-day that stand as
monuments to his skill and workman-
ship. A practical mechanic himself, he
knew how a building should go up and
saw to it that it was constructed well.
Beginning life a poor boy, Mr. Luther
through his own efforts and force of char-
acter rose to position and wealth. Be-
sides looking after the business in which
he made his principal reputation, he be-
came interested in and a director of a
number of Fall River enterprises, among
them the Robeson Mills. Mr. Luther
died May 14, 1887. He married (first)
Abby M. Bosworth, of Warren, born
February 21, 1809, died May 11, 1854. He
married (second) November 18, 1857,
Harriet Bateman, born July 8, 1817, in
Newport, Rhode Island, daughter of Wil-



liam and Susanna (Spencer) Bateman,
died February 21, 1892. Three of his
four children were born to the first mar-
riage and died when young; the fourth,
born to the second marriage, is Charles
Bateman Luther, mentioned below.

(VIII) Charles Bateman Luther, son
of Samuel Martin Luther, and only child
of his second wife, Harriet (Bateman)
Luther, was born November 15, i860, in
Fall River, and received his early educa-
tion in the public schools of that city.
Graduating from the high school in 1879,
he entered Brown University, from which
institution he was graduated in 1883, with
the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy, and
was a member of the D. K. E. fraternity.
Following his school life Mr. Luther was
in the employ of the Edison Electric
Illuminating Company at Fall River until
September, 1887, after which he was out
of business for a number of years. He
became president of the Robeson Mills
upon the death of Lloyd S. Earle in Au-
gust, 1895, and continued as such until
1903; he was treasurer pro ton. from
March, 1898, to January, 1899. In 1903
he started the Luther Manufacturing
Company, named for his father, and or-
ganized for the purpose of purchasing
the property of the Robeson Mills and
enlarging and developing same by the
addition of new buildings and machinery
for the manufacture of a higher grade
of cloth. Mr. Luther organized this com-
pany and became treasurer thereof, which
position he has since held ; Mr. Leon-
tine Lincoln is president of the company
and Mr. John H. Estes vice-president.
Under the financial guidance of Mr. Lu-
ther the plant has been most successful
and its product has attained a high repu-
tation. In addition to his connection with
this concern he is interested in the Staf-
ford and Flint Mills, having been presi-
dent and a director of the first named
until May, 1914, when he was elected



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



treasurer of the same, and is also a direc-
tor of the latter. He is vice-president
and director of the new Charlton Mills.
He is a man of broad capabilities, as he
has proved in the management and wisely-
planned development of his properties,
and ranks well among mill interests for
the skill he has displayed in their promo-
tion and evolution. Mr. Luther is a mem-
ber of the Quequechan Club of Fall
River, Squantum Club of Providence, Fall
River Cotton Manufacturers' Association
and the Rhode Island Country Club. He
married, March 19, 1890, Lottie (Char-
lotte) Humphrey Robinson, daughter of
John H. and Charlotte (Brownell) Rob-
inson, of Fall River (see Robinson VII).
They have no children.

(The Robinson Line).

The Robinson family is an ancient and
numerous one, both in England and
America. There are several coats-of-
arms belonging to different branches of
the name, but in all of them an antlered
stag or buck is prominent. The one
which is borne by the Robinsons of the
north, from whom the early American
immigrants are descended, consists of a
gold field crossed by a green chevron
with three gold cinquefoils set between
three bucks tripping (an heraldic expres-
sion signifying that one forefoot is
raised). The crest is a green buck trip-
ping, with gold antlers and gold spots
on his hide. There were several immi-
grants bearing this name early in New
England, including two with the bap-
tismal name of John. One of these was
the Rev. John Robinson, founder of the
Plymouth Colony.

(I) George Robinson was among the
early proprietors of Rehoboth, Massa-
chusetts, where he was living in 1643.
The frame house which he built in 1660
remained in the hands of his descendants
for one hundred and fifty years in the



male line, and was still standing in 1901.
He died November 9, 1699, in Rehoboth.
He married, June 18, 1651, Joanna Ingra-
ham, who died July 20, 1699. Children:
Mary, born May 30, 1652 ; Samuel, Octo-
ber 3, 1654; George, February 21, 1656;
Elizabeth, April 3, 1657; William, March
29, 1663, died 1690; Benjamin, January 8,
1665; John, November 29, 1669; Nathan-
iel, November 1, 1673.

(II) The records of Rehoboth show
that Benjamin, son of George Robinson,
married, July 30, 1693, Rebecca Ingra-
ham, and had children recorded from 1694
to 1709. Also that Samuel, another son,
had a wife Mehitabel, and four children
are recorded from 1689 to 1697. It is
reasonably certain that the next men-
tioned was the son of one or the other
of these, not recorded in Rehoboth.

(III) William Robinson is recorded in
the Quaker records of Swansea, Massa-
chusetts, as having a wife Martha and
being the father of the next mentioned.
Nothing further concerning him has been
discovered.

(IV) John Robinson, son of William
and Martha Robinson, was born May 16,
1730, and lived in Swansea. There he
married, January 29, 1754, Phebe, daugh-
ter of Elisha and Elizabeth Chase, born
October 11, 1727, died November 4, 1797,
and was buried in the Friends' yard at
Somerset, Massachusetts. Children : Eliz-
abeth, born January 27, 1756; Martha,
May 29, 1757, died young; Rebeckah,
May 8, 1759; Martha, April 25, 1760;
Samuel, August 31, 1762; Charity, Febru-
ary 26, 1765; Phebe, June 14, 1767; Sibel,
March 22, 1769; John, mentioned below.

(V) John (2) Robinson, youngest child
of John (1) and Phebe (Chase) Robin-
son, was born October 3, 1773, in Swan-
sea, and resided in Rehoboth, Somerset,
Massachusetts, and Burrillville, Rhode
Island. He married, September 22, 1796,
Hannah Chase, of Somerset, daughter of



329



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Daniel and Phebe (Snead) Chase, died
February 24, 1838. Children: Daniel,
born November 8, 1797, in Rehoboth ;
Samuel, September 22, 1799; Phebe, April
2, 1801 ; Nathan, mentioned below ; Simp-
son, December 25, 1804; Content, July 28,
1807; Ruth Bowers, May 5, 1809; Wil-
liam, May 28, 1812, died 1816; Stephen,
March 6, 1814; Elizabeth, September 12,
1815; William, May 4, 1816; Samuel.

(VI) Nathan Robinson, third son of
John (2) and Hannah (Chase) Robinson,
was born November 17, 1802, in Swansea,
and resided in Little Compton, Rhode
Island, where he died May 9, 1851. He
married, November 23, 1828, Julia Ann
Brownell, born January 21, 1810, daugh-
ter of Humphrey and Sarah (Head)
Brownell, of Little Compton (see Brown-
ell VI). Children: Malvina A., born
April 9, 1831 ; John H., mentioned below ;
Maria E., August 10, 1835 ; William F.,
April 8, 1841 ; Sarah H., November 15,
1844.

(VII) John H. Robinson, eldest son
of Nathan and Julia Ann (Brownell)
Robinson, was born March 18, 1833, in
Little Compton, where he grew up on the
paternal farm, and received his education
in the public schools. As a young man
he went to Providence, Rhode Island,
where he learned the trade of carriage
maker, and where he was engaged until
1868, in which year he settled in Fall
River, Massachusetts, and engaged in the
manufacture of carriages upon his own
account, with a partner. Here he con-
tinued with great success, actively en-
gaged in business until his death, which
occurred June 14, 1901, at his home on
Prospect street, Fall River. His body
was laid to rest in Oak Grove Cemetery.
Mr. Robinson was a man of excellent
business capacity, was highly respected
and widely known as a man of honor,
industry and integrity. He married, De-
cember 8, 1857, in Little Compton, Char-



lotte Brownell, born in that town, daugh-
ter of James and Lydia (Church) Brown-
ell. She survives him, and now resides
in Fall River, with her two daughters,
Charlotte Humphrey, wife of Charles B.
Luther, and Lola Edwards (see Luther
VIII).

(The Brownell Line).

Much of the history of the Brownell
family is given elsewhere in these vol-
umes, beginning with Thomas Brownell,
born 1618-19, who came from Devon-
shire, England, and settled in Ports-
mouth, Rhode Island. He was the father
of Thomas (2) Brownell, born 1650, and
lived in Little Compton, Rhode Island.
His son, Captain George Brownell, was
born January 19, 1685, in Little Comp-
ton, and lived in the adjoining town of
Westport, Massachusetts. He was a sol-
dier in the Colonial army. Stephen
Brownell, youngest child of Captain
George Brownell, was born November
29, 1726, in Little Compton, and proba-
bly lived in Westport. He was the father
of William Brownell, born July 17, 1749.
recorded in Little Compton. Humphrey
Brownell, son of the last named, was
born July 19, 1785, recorded in Little
Compton, and died in 1824. He married
Sarah Head, born November 30, 1789, in
Little Compton, daughter of Daniel and
Hannah (Davenport) Head, of that town.
Through the intermarriages of ancestors
the descendants of Sarah Head inherit
the blood of Richard Warren of the
"Mayflower," and of John Alden and
Priscilla Mullins. She was descended
from Henry Head, who was born 1647,
and died in Little Compton, July 1, 1716.
He represented that town in 1683, at the
Plymouth General Court, and in 1692 at
the General Court of the United Colonies
in Boston. He married, in 1677, Eliza-
beth, whose surname is unknown, born
1654, died June, 1748, according to the
records of Little Compton. Their second



330



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



son, Henry (2) Head, born 1680, died
March 4, 1755, in Little Compton. He
married, June 29, 1709, Elizabeth Palmer,
born November 12, 1687, daughter of
William and Mary (Richmond) Palmer.
Their eldest child was Henry Head, born
November 7, 1709, in Little Compton,
married, in June, 1730, Anna Paddock,
of Swansea, Massachusetts. Their eldest
child was Jonathan Head, born May 31,
1 73 1, resided in Dartmouth, Massachu-
setts; married, October 21, 1760, Ruth
Little. Their son, Daniel Head, married,
January 1, 1787, Hannah Davenport,
born April 26, 1764, daughter of Thomas
and Deborah (Simmons) Davenport, died
March 17, 1844. They were the parents
of Sarah Head, wife of Humphrey Brown-
ell. The children of Humphrey Brown-
ell and Sarah Head were: Maria, born
March 9, 1812; Julia Ann, married (first)
Nathan Robinson (see Robinson VI),
(second) Philip S. Brown; Fenner, born
April 13, 1816; Hannah Elizabeth, mar-
ried Moses Deane.

(The Church Line).

Elsewhere in this work appears the his-
tory of Richard Church, founder of the
family in this country, who came with
Governor Winthrop to New England in
1630. His wife, Elizabeth, was a daugh-
ter of Richard Warren, of the Mayflower
Colony, who died within a very short
time after his arrival. He was a man of
very high character and a true Puritan.

(II) Joseph Church, eldest son of Rich-
ard and Elizabeth (Warren) Church, was
born in 1636, and was an early resident of
Little Compton, Rhode Island, where he
died in 171 1. He was a carpenter by
trade, active in developing the settle-
ment, and always a leader in town affairs.
The Plymouth records, June 6, 1682,
show that "on the petition of Joseph
Church and the rest of the proprietors of



Saconet, it was ordered that it shall be
from this time a township and be called
Little Compton." By the original grant
of 1674 Governor Winslow was allotted a
section of land in Little Compton, which
he immediately conveyed to Joseph
Church. This land has been the site of
the Church family homestead to the pres-
ent time. The estate is now appropriately
known as "Oldacre." He married, in 1658,
Mary Tucker, born 1641, died March 21,
1710, in Little Compton. Children: Jo-
seph, mentioned below; John, born 1666;
Mary, 1668; Elizabeth, 1670; Deborah,
1672; Abigail, 1680.

(III) Joseph (2) Church, eldest child
of Joseph (i)and Mary (Tucker) Church,
was born 1663, and died December 19,
171 5, in Little Compton, where he was a
landowner and farmer. He married, in
1688, Grace, daughter of Anthony and
Alice (Stonard) Shaw, born 1666, died
March 1, 1737. Children: Joseph, born
June 17, 1689; Sarah, March 31, 1691 ;
Nathaniel and Alice (twins), February 8,
1693; Deborah, January, 1697; Elizabeth,
February, 1699; Caleb, mentioned below;
Richard, November 21, 1703.

(IV) Caleb Church, third son of Jo-
seph (2) and Grace (Shaw) Church, was
born October II, 1701, in Little Compton,
and passed his life in that town, where he
owned and cultivated a farm, and died
May 1, 1769. He married (first) Decem-
ber 6, 1 72 1, Deborah Woodworth, born
November 17, 1703, died August 28, 1733,
daughter of Hezekiah and Hannah Wood-
worth. He married (second) August 14,
1735, Margaret Torrey, born 1702, died
January 29, 1792. Children of first mar-
riage : Thomas, born September 10, 1722;
William, March 10, 1724; Ebenezer, men-
tioned below; Mary, January 6, 1728;
Priscilla, October 12, 1730; Nathaniel,
October 22, 1732. Children of second
marriage : Deborah, born August 10,



33'



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



1736; Abigail, September 29, 1737; Eliza-
beth, April 12, 1739; Sarah, August 27,
1742; Comfort, June 1, 1745.

(V) Ebenezer Church, third son of Caleb
and Deborah (Woodworth) Church, was
born January 24, 1726, in Little Compton,
and died February 10, 1825. Like the
rest of his family he engaged in agricul-
ture, and during the Revolutionary War
he commanded a company of militia. In
1771 he built the house which is still
standing on "The Common Road," west
of "Little Compton Commons." On Feb-
ruary 6, 1825, Rev. Emerson Paine deliv-
ered a "Century Discourse" in the village
church, in honor of Ebenezer Church.
This was published in an octavo pam-
phlet of twenty-eight pages. The whole
number of Ebenezer Church's descend-
ants at that time was one hundred and
forty-two, of whom one hundred and ten
were then living. He married, March 7,
1754, Hannah Wood, born December 22,
1734, died February 3, 181 5, daughter of
Joseph and Mary (Brownell) Wood.
Children : Mary, born December 30,
1754; Joseph, died young; Elizabeth,
born May 30, 1761 ; Joseph, mentioned
below; Hannah, July 18, 1766; Nathaniel,
December 12, 1769; Abigail, September
30, 1771 ; Sarah, March 28, 1774; William,
November 8, 1776.

(VI) Joseph (3) Church, second son of
Ebenezer and Hannah (Wood) Church,
was born February 27, 1764, in Little
Compton, and lived in the house built
there by his father. He was a soldier of
the Revolution. He married in Little
Compton (first) September 15, 1792,
Elizabeth Taylor, born January 17, 1763,
daughter of William and Deborah (Gray)
Taylor, died before 1832. He married
(second) September 6, 1832, a widow,
Lydia Dring, daughter of Job and Abigail
(Simmons) Palmer, of Little Compton.
Children of first marriage : John, born
March 16, 1794; Lydia, mentioned below;



Susanna Taylor, October 13, 1796; Peter,
March 16, 1799; Nathaniel, December 17,
1801 ; Benjamin Taylor, May 2, 1804.
Child of second marriage: Elizabeth, born
August 20, 1834.

(VII) Lydia Church, eldest daughter
of Joseph (3) and Elizabeth (Taylor)
Church, was born May 9, 1795, in Little
Compton, and was married, June 6, 1821,
in Newport, Rhode Island, to James
Brownell, of Little Compton.



LEACH Family.

An extended history of the early gen-
erations of the Leach family appears on
other pages of this work. It is among
the oldest families of Massachusetts and
was founded in America by Lawrence
Leach, born in 1589, in England, and
came to New England with Rev. Francis
Higginson in 1629. He was a farmer and
miller in what is now Beverly, Massachu-
setts, was active in public affairs, and
assisted in the formation of the first
church at Salem. His son, Giles Leach,
born in this country, was a founder of
Bridgewater, Massachusetts. In 1656 he
was living in Weymouth, and removed to
Bridgewater before 1665. His son, John
Leach, lived in Bridgewater, where he
died in 1714.

(IV) Solomon Leach, seventh son of
John and Alice Leach, was born Febru-
ary 19, 1712, in Bridgewater, where he
made his home. He married (first) in
1736, Tabitha, daughter of Samuel Wash-
burn. She died in 1736. He married
(second) in 1739, Jerusha Bryant, of
Plympton. She died in 1743, and he mar-
ried (third) before the close of that year,
Hannah Leach, probably a daughter of
Benjamin Leach, of Bridgewater.

(V) Joseph Leach, son of Solomon and
Hannah (Leach) Leach, was born No-
vember 8, 1760, in Bridgewater, and spent
most of his life in Middleboro, Massachu-



332



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



setts. He married, June 4, 1801, in Hali-
fax, Massachusetts, Susanna Sturtevant,
born 1777-78, died September 28, 1845,
in Plympton, daughter of Jabez and Azu-
bah (Wood) Sturtevant, of Plympton,
Massachusetts (see Sturtevant VI). Chil-
dren : Cephas, died in infancy ; Erastus,
born May, 1804; Josephus, died in in-
fancy; Martin L., August, 1809, died at
the age of twenty-nine years ; Zenas, Jan-
uary, 181 1, died at the age of twenty-five
years; Orrin M., mentioned below; Ad-
miral, December, 1815, supposed to have
died in the Mexican War; Henry L., May,
1823.

(VI) Orrin M. Leach, sixth son of Jo-
seph and Susanna (Sturtevant) Leach,
was born December, 1813, in Middleboro,
and there grew to manhood, receiving his
education in the local schools, and
learned the trade of cabinet-maker.
Through out his active life he resided in
New Bedford, following his trade, and
was a well known citizen, died at his
home there in 1898. He was much inter-
ested in historical matters and especially
in family history. He was devoted to his
home and family, and also to the best in-
terests of the community in which he
dwelt. In his old age he was tenderly
cared for by his daughter, Mrs. Seth H.
Ingalls, of New Bedford, and after his
death was buried in Oak Grove Ceme-
tery. He was a member of the Baptist
church, and esteemed for his many Chris-
tian and manly virtues. He married Mary
Burgess, daughter of Cornelius and Ann
(Bailey) Burgess. She was an active
member of the Congregational church,
died in New Bedford, February 17, 1895,
and was buried in Oak Grove Cemetery.
They were the parents of two children :
1. William Henry Harrison, was a sol-
dier of the Civil War, a bookkeeper and
later a salesman for Cobb, Bates & Yerxa,
a well known citizen of New Bedford,
where he died in 1915. 2. Susan A., be-



came the wife of Seth H. Ingalls, and
resides in New Bedford. She cherishes
with reverence the memory of her hon-
ored father, is devoted to good and chari-
table works, and is highly esteemed
among the people of New Bedford.



(I) The surname Sturtevant is vari-
ously spelled Sturdevant, Studevant, etc.
The immigrant ancestor, Samuel Sturte-
vant, was of Dutch ancestry, and came
from Holland or England to Plymouth,
Massachusetts, where he planted land on
shares as early as 1641, and was the pro-
genitor of all the Colonial families of this
surname. His name was on the list of
those able to bear arms in 1(143. He
bought land at Plymouth in 1647, and
held various town offices there. His
home was on the "Cotton Farm" in the
northern part of the village of Plymouth.
His will was dated August 1, 1669, and
proved October 29 following. He made
bequests to his wife, Ann ; to son-in-law,
John Waterman ; to sons, Samuel, James,
John, Joseph, and a child unborn. Chil-
dren of Samuel and Ann Sturtevant : Ann,
born June 4, 1647 ; John, born and died in
1650; Mary, born December 7, 1651 ; Sam-
uel, mentioned below ; Hannah, Septem-
ber 4, 1656; John, September 6, 1658;
Lydia, December 13, 1660; James, Febru-
ary 11, 1663; Joseph, July 16, 1666.

(II) Samuel (2) Sturtevant, second
son of Samuel (1) and Ann Sturtevant,
was born April 19, 1654, in Plymouth,
and resided in that part of Plympton
which is now Halifax, was deacon of the
Plympton church, and represented that
town several times in the General Court
at Boston. His will made March 18 was
proved May 21, 1736, and he died April
21 of that year. His tombstone is in the
old burying ground near Neponset Pond,
Halifax. His first wife Mary died Au-
gust 4, 1 7 14, at the age of sixty years,



333



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



and was buried in the old burying place
near Plympton church. His second wife
Elizabeth is also buried there. His chil-
dren, all of the first wife, were: James,
mentioned below ; Moses ; Josiah ; Wil-
liam ; Nehemiah ; Hannah, married, in
1697, Ebenezer Standish ; Mary, married
Deacon David Bosworth ; Samuel and
John.

(III) James Sturtevant, eldest child of
Samuel (2) and Mary Sturtevant, resided
in Plympton, where he married, Feb-
ruary 15, 171 1, Susanna Cooke, daugh-
ter of Francis (2) and Elizabeth (Lath-
am) Cooke, of Kingston, granddaugh-
ter of James and Damaris (Hopkins)
Cooke (the last named a daughter of Ste-
phen Hopkins, of the "Mayflower"),
granddaughter of Francis Cooke, who
came to Plymouth in the "Mayflower."
Francis Cooke, an Englishman, was with
the Pilgrims at Leyden, and married in
Holland, his wife Hester being a Waloon,
a member of the Pilgrim Church. He was
one of the signers of the Mayflower com-
pact in 1620, and settled in Plymouth,
where his name is of frequent mention
in connection with the affairs of the
colony. He died April 7, 1663. His son,
Jacob Cooke, born about 1618, in Hol-
land, married (first) after June 20, 1645,
Damaris Hopkins, daughter of Stephen
Hopkins, who came in the "Mayflower"
and was one of the signers of the com-
pact. Their son, Francis (2) Cooke, born
January 5, 1663, resided in Kingston, and
married Elizabeth Latham. They were
the parents of Susanna Cooke, wife of
James Sturtevant. She died August 29,
1726. Children: Francis, born January
15, 1712; Caleb, mentioned below; James,
September 15, 1718; Susanna, February
4, 1 72 1 ; Lydia, March 2, 1724.

(IV) Caleb Sturtevant, second son of
James and Susanna (Cooke) Sturtevant,
was born March 16, 1716, in Plympton.
He married (first) July 23, 1739, Patience



Cushman, born April 8, 1721, daughter
of Ichabod Cushman and his second wife,
Patience (Holmes) Cushman. He mar-
ried (second) May 31, 1770, Abigail
Bearse. Children of first marriage : Jabez,
mentioned below ; Rebecca, born Janu-
ary 21, 1742; Jane, November 18, 1743;
Susanna, March 3, 1746; Betty, October
27, 1748; Joanna; Fear; Sarah; Patience,
May 12, 1758. Children of second wife:
Caleb and Abigail (twins), born Febru-
ary 14, 1771 ; Winslow, June 26, 1773.

(V) Jabez, eldest child of Caleb and
Patience (Cushman) Sturtevant, was
born February 12, 1740, in Plympton, and
married, March 8, 1764, Azubah Wood.
Children: Sylvanus ; Zenas ; Samuel,
born May 25, 1772; Caleb; Josiah; Sus-
anna, mentioned below ; Bela, August 24,
1780, married Hannah Chandler.

(VI) Susanna Sturtevant, only daugh-
ter of Jabez and Azubah (Wood) Sturte-
vant, was born 1777-78, and became the
wife of Joseph Leach, of Middleboro (see
Leach V).



MORGAN, Paul B.,

Manufacturer, Financier.

It is not every American family whose
pioneer ancestor is honored by a noble
statue like that erected to Miles Morgan
in Court Square, in the beautiful city of
Springfield, Massachusetts. This statue
was unveiled in 1879, just two hundred
and ten years after the death of the man
whose virtues it commemorates. The



Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 49 of 62)