American Historical Society. 1n.

New England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 51 of 62)
Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 51 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ter of William Ward, who came from
England, and was in Sudbury as early
as 1639. Their sixth daughter, Abigail
Stone, born February 13, 1680, became
the wife of Dr. John Sherman, of Spring-
field, Massachusetts, as above noted.
Thomas Sherman, son of Dr. John and
Abigail (Stone) Sherman, was born Sep-
tember 6, 1722, in Springfield, was a sol-
dier of the Revolution, and died Novem-
ber 22, 1803. He married, September 12,
1751, Anna Blodgett, daughter of Joseph
and Sarah (Stone) Blodgett, born April
10, 1724, descended from Thomas Blod-
gett, who came from England in 1635,
and settled at Cambridge, Massachusetts,
with his wife Susanna. Their son, Samuel
Blodgett, born 1633, died July 3, 1687, mar-
ried, December 13, 1655. Ruth Ingleden.
They were the parents of Thomas Blodgett,
born 1660, who settled in Lexington, Mas-
sachusetts, about 1699, married, Novem-
ber 1, 1685, Rebecca Tidd. She was a de-
scendant of John Tidd, who embarked
from Yarmouth, England, May 12, 1637,
and was a resident of Charlestown, Mas-
sachusetts, in 1644, dying there April 24,
1657. His wife, Margaret, died in 1651.
They were the parents of John Tidd, who
was born in England, and resided in Wo-
burn, Massachusetts, where he married,
April 14, 1650, Rebecca Wood. Their
third daughter, Rebecca Tidd, married
Thomas Blodgett, as above noted. Joseph
Blodgett, son of Thomas and Rebecca
(Tidd) Blodgett, was born September 17,
1696, and married Sarah Stone, born No-
vember 7, 1700, in Lexington, died May 6,



34i



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



1755. They were the parents of Anna
Blodgett, above referred to as the wife of
Thomas Sherman. Her daughter, Abi-
gail Sherman, born January 11, 1752, was
married, November 26, 1772, to Aaron
Morgan, of Brimfield. Her children
were: Lucy, born January 20, 1774, mar-
ried, December 19, 1793, James Moore;
Justin, March 8, 1777; Aaron, Decem-
ber 6, 1779; Calvin, mentioned below;
Thomas, April 7, 1788, married October

27, 1816, Orra Morgan ; Sally, June 30,
1790, married, April 28, 1814, Harris Sher-
man.

(VI) Calvin Morgan, third son of
Aaron and Abigail (Sherman) Morgan,
was born May 27, 1782, in Brimfield, and
died there June 13, 1832. He married,
March 10, 1802, Polly Forbush, probably
a daughter of Ephraim and Mary For-
bush, of Acton, born October 17, 1787.
She died January 12, 1868. Children :
Hiram, mentioned below ; Dexter, born
June 2, 1805, died March 17, 1818; Mar-
garet F., September 23, 1806, married,
September 23, 1829, G. W. Dinsmore;
Calvin, April 4, 1808, married Susannah
P. Lane, died October 31, 1835; Mary
Ann, December 28, 1809, married, Octo-
ber 15, 1833, Joseph B. Parker; Abigail
T., June 13, 181 1, married, May 29, 1859,
Heman S. Jackson; Enoch Melvin, June
2, 1813, died December 9, 1813; Sarah B.,
March 26, 181 5, married, June 11, 1835,
Luther Bigelow, died September 17, 1840;
Malvina F., April 12, 1817, married, July
2, 1839, Andrew J. Copp, died June 27,
1841 ; Francis Dexter, April 24, 1819, mar-
ried, November 25, 1841, Elizabeth
Phelps, died 1846; Harriet N., September

28, 1821 ; Cordelia, October 20, 1825, died
February 14, 1842.

(VII) Hiram Morgan, eldest child of
Calvin and Polly (Forbush) Morgan, was
born August 1, 1803, in Brimfield, and
was a mechanic, skillful in wood turning.



For a time he lived in Rochester, New
York, and removed, about 1832, to Clin-
ton, Massachusetts, where he died June
29, 1866. He married Clarissa Lucina,
daughter of Dr. Noah Rich, of South
Egremont, Massachusetts. Children :
Charles Hill, mentioned below; Francis
Henry, born September 23, 1833 ; Hiram
Dexter, July 27, 1836, died in infancy ;
Cyrus Rich, July 4, 1838, married Ade-
laide Fisher; Harriet Eaton, March 27,
1845, died in infancy.

(VIII) Charles Hill Morgan, eldest
child of Hiram and Clarissa Lucina
(Rich) Morgan, was born January 8, 1831,
in Rochester, New York, and was young
when his parents removed to Clinton,
Massachusetts. He died in Worcester,
Massachusetts, January 10, 191 1, aged
eighty years. In the schools of that town
and Lancaster Academy he received in-
struction until the age of fifteen years,
when he went into the shop of his uncle
to learn the machinist's trade. Here he
acquired a thorough knowledge of me-
chanics, and became especially skilled in
mechanical drawing, and on attaining his
majority, in 1852, he was placed in charge
of the dye house of the Clinton mills, for
which position he had fitted himself by
studies in chemistry. For some time he
was draftsman in the employ of the Law-
rence Machine Company, and later of
Erastus P. Bigelow. In i860 he went to
Philadelphia and was there associated for
a short time in business with his brother.
In 1864 he returned to Worcester county,
Massachusetts, and became general super-
intendent of the wire mills of Washburn
& Moen, at Worcester. Here he con-
tinued twenty-three years, and during the
last eleven years of this time was a direc-
tor of the corporation. During this period
he designed the first hydraulic elevator in-
troduced in New England. He made
many trips to Europe to visit the steel
342



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



and wire mills of England, Belgium, Ger-
many, France and Sweden, studying the
methods of operation there in use. By
diligent reading of trade journals and the
study of all inventions, he kept the Wash-
burn & Aloen mill in the forefront of de-
velopment. An advance step made at this
time in the wire business was an impor-
tant improvement of the continuous roll-
ing mill designed and constructed in Man-
chester, England. Its methods of produc-
tion were limited, however, by the imper-
fection of the ordinary hand reel, and Mr.
Morgan designed and placed in operation
a reel operated by steam power, and sub-
sequently a continuous train of rolls, hav-
ing only horizontal axes. This method
was found to be far superior to the former
process, which used alternating, vertical
and horizontal rolls. Mr. Morgan de-
signed a new mill, which was constructed
to supersede the Bedson mill, embodying
the Belgium and continuous plan, which
was known as the Combination mill. In
1886 he received patents on automatic
reels with vertically moving platform.
The great advancement made under his
direction naturally attracted the attention
of mill owners and operators, and in 1887
he was made consulting engineer of the
American Wire Company of Cleveland,
Ohio, and there introduced further new
and valuable inventions. In 1889 he com-
pleted and placed in operation at Dollar
Bay, Michigan, a large copper mill for
handling the product of the Tamarack
Mine, which produces the famous lake
copper. In 1888 Mr. Morgan began the
manufacture of rolling mill machinery at
Worcester, and three years later the busi-
ness was incorporated under the name of
the Morgan Construction Company, with
a capital stock of one hundred thousand
dollars. The executive offices are located
on Lincoln street, Worcester, and an
European agency is maintained. The



company manufactures rolling mill ma-
chinery for steel billets, merchant bars,
rods, cotton ties and barrel hoops, as well
as wire drawing and hydraulic machinery.
A specialty is the equipment of entire
plants and special devices made to order.
The company controls valuable patents
for machinery used in modern mills, and
has built up an extensive export trade.
Mr. Morgan was also interested in other
business and industries of Worcester. He
was a director of the First National Bank,
and president and a principal owner of
the Morgan Spring Company, which was
incorporated in 1881, capitalized at seven
hundred thousand dollars. This establish-
ment has enjoyed a very rapid and healthy
growth. He began the manufacture of
springs at the Morgan mills on Lincoln
street, and in 1896 the company con-
structed an extensive plant at Barber's
Crossing, which has required subsequent
enlargement. Mr. Morgan was associated
with the Washburn shops of the Worces-
ter Polytechnic Institute, and was among
the largest benefactors of that institu-
tion. To Mr. Morgan more than any
other one man is due credit for the suc-
cessful development of the plan made by
Ichabod Washburn, whose gift estab-
lished this machine shop in March, 1886.
It is both a laboratory and trade school
for the institute, and is self-supporting
as a business concern. Mr. Washburn
died before the shop was completed, but
he had recommended Mr. Morgan as a
trustee, having faith in his great mechani-
cal skill and experience. The latter was
elected to this position, March 2.7, 1887,
and at the request of the dying founder,
took charge of the construction and equip-
ment of the shops. Through his efficient
superintendence and cooperation, the suc-
cess of this experiment in technical edu-
cation has made the Worcester Polytech-
nic Institute famous, and its shops a



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



model for the whole country. Mr. Mor-
gan was one of the founders of the Plym-
outh Congregational Church of Worces-
ter, in which he was one of the first dea-
cons. He was a director of the Young
Men's Christian Association, and a mem-
ber of the Congregational Club of Worces-
ter. He married (first) June 8, 1852, Har-
riet C. Plympton, of Shrewsbury, Massa-
chusetts, born November 8, 1831, died
July 28, 1862. He married (second) Au-
gust 4, 1863, Rebecca Ann Beagary, of
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Children by
first wife: C. Henry, born February 1,
1854, married Jessie Bradbury, resides in
Worcester; Hiram Plympton, 1862, died
in infancy. Children by second wife:
Harriet L., born June 9, 1864, married Dr.
Winthrop D. Mitchell, of East Orange,
New Jersey, and they have one child,
Beatrice Mitchell, born June 6, 1891 ;
Charlotte, July 10, 1866, married Fred-
erick M. McFadden, of Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania ; Paul Beagary, mentioned
below ; Ralph Landers, September 5, 1872,
married Alice Sawyer, daughter of Wil-
liam H. Sawyer, of Worcester, Massachu-
setts.

(IX) Paul Beagary Morgan, third son
of Charles Hill Morgan, and third child
of his second wife, Rebecca Ann (Beag-
ary) Morgan, was born May 7, 1869, in
Worcester. After an attendance at the
public schools he entered Worcester
Academy, from which he was graduated
in 1887, and three years later graduated
from the Worcester Polytechnic Insti-
tute. His education was completed
abroad, with a year in Sweden, studying
the iron industry, and taking a special
course in metallurgy and chemistry, in
the Royal School of Mines at Stockholm.
Here he gained practical experience in the
celebrated Munkfors Works of the Udde-
holm Company. Returning to his native
city, he engaged in business with his



father. He is president of the Morgan
Spring Company and of the Morgan Con-
struction Company, and president of the
Heald Machine Company. His unblem-
ished integrity, prudence and common
sense have been demonstrated, and he
enjoys a high reputation among the busi-
ness men of Worcester. In 1904 he was
elected a director of the Worcester Na-
tional Bank, and is a trustee of the Peo-
ple's Savings Bank and of the Memorial
Hospital. As president of the Worcester
County Musical Association, he has been
active in promoting the advancement of
culture in his home city, where this organ-
ization gives the annual musical festival
celebrated throughout the world. Mr.
Morgan is a member of the Plymouth
Congregational Church, the Worcester
Young Men's Christian Association, and
the Congregational Club, and a trustee of
Worcester Academy and president of that
board since 1910. He has served as presi-
dent of the Alumni Association of
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and as
vice-president of the Alumni of Worces-
ter Academy. His interest in all that
makes for the welfare and progress of his
native city is well known. He is an hon-
orary member of George H. Ward Post,
Grand Army of the Republic, and a mem-
ber of the Sons of the American Revolu-
tion ; also of the Worcester Club, the
Quinsigamond Boat Club, the Tatnuck
Country Club, and the Engineers' Club
of New York. Politically he has always
acted with the Republican party, but is
not a seeker of official honors.

He married, June 15, 1893, at Worces-
ter, Lessie Louise, daughter of William
and Mary (Adams) Maynard, of Worces-
ter (see Maynard VII). Children: Philip
Maynard, born April 13, 1896; Charles
Hill, September 19, 1902; Paul Beagary,
Jr., June 11, 1904; Vincent, February 2,
1906; Elizabeth, July 2, 1909.



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



MAYNARD, William,

Manufacturer.

This family was founded in America by
John Maynard, who was in Sudbury,
Massachusetts, as early as 1638, one of
the forty-seven who shared in the division
of Sudbury Meadows in 1639, and was
selectman of that town. He was one of
the petitioners for the grant of Marl-
borough, Massachusetts, whither he re-
moved soon after the grant was received,
in 1657, and died there December 22, 171 1.
He married, in Sudbury, April 5, 1648,
Mary Gates, born probably in England,
daughter of Stephen and Ann (Hill)
Gates, who came from Hingham, Eng-
land, to Hingham, Massachusetts, in 1638,
and were among the first settlers of Lan-
caster, Massachusetts. Stephen Gates
died at Cambridge, in 1662. Children:
Elizabeth, born May 26, 1649, died
young; Hannah, September 30, 1653;
Mary, August 3, 1656; John, January 7,
1661, married Lydia Ward; Elizabeth,
April 2, 1664; Simon, mentioned below;
David, December 21, 1669, had wife Han-
nah ; Zachariah, October 27, 1672; Sarah,
May 15, 1680, married, June 9, 1705, Jo-
seph Johnson ; Lydia, August 29, 1682,
married, April 7, 1703, Thomas Haggate ;
Joseph, August 27, 1685, married Eliza-
beth Prue, and had Benjamin, born May
7, 1721.

(II) Simon Maynard, second son of
John and Mary (Gates) Maynard, was
born June 15, 1666, in Marlborough,
where he died January 19, 1748. His wife
Hannah died April 5, following. Children :
Hannah, born June 9, 1694, married April
21, 1714, Joseph Crosby; Simon, March
4, 1696, married, November 18, 1718,
Sarah Church ; Elizabeth, September 26,
1698, married, 1723, Robert Horn; Ta-
bitha, February 2, 1701, died April 7, 1724;
Elisha, March 20, 1703; Eunice, Novem-



ber 17, 1705, married Nathaniel Falkner ;
Ephraim, mentioned below; Benjamin,
December 1, 1709, died 171 1.

(III) Ephraim Maynard, third son of
Simon and Hannah Maynard, was born
October 17, 1707, in Marlborough. He
marched to Cambridge, April 19, 1775, in
Captain Howe's company. His first wife,
Sarah, died May 24, 1742, and he married
(second) January 3, 1743, Mary Balcom.
Children of first marriage : Tabitha, born
July 21, 1738, died May 24, 1742; Eph-
raim, March 7, 1740, died May 10, 1742.
Children of second marriage : Sarah, born
November 6, 1743 ; Ephraim, August 29,
[745, married, September 14, 1773, Eunice
Jewell ; Simon, mentioned below ; Joseph,
December 31, 1750, married, November
14, 1777, Lovina Barnes; Benjamin,
March 10, 1753; Eunice, February 7, 1757.

(IV) Simon (2) Maynard, third son of
Ephraim Maynard, and third child of his
second wife, Mary (Balcom) Maynard,
was born June 5, 1748, in Marlborough,
and died there November 15, 1818. He
also marched to Cambridge, April 19,
1775, in Captain Howe's company. He
married Silence Priest, born February 9,
1750, in Marlborough, daughter of John
and Hannah (Livermore) Priest, died
November 19, 1837. Children: Isaac,
mentioned below ; Hannah, born Decem-
ber 28, 1782, married, January 31, 1802,
Peace Peters; John Priest, June 2, 1791,
married, 1812, Betsey Weeks, daughter
of John Weeks.

(V) Isaac Maynard, son of Simon May-
nard, was born at Marlborough, Decem-
ber 3, 1779, and died there September 12,
1820. He married, September 29, 1802,
Lydia Howe, born December 19, 1779, at
Marlborough, daughter of John and Sus-
anna (Fairbanks) Howe. She survived
him and married (second) April 9, 1828,
Abraham Dow. Children of Isaac May-
nard : Amory, mentioned below ; Lydia,



345



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



born November 16, 1805, married Joel
Wilkins.

(VI) Amory Maynard, son of Isaac
Maynard, was born at Marlborough, Feb-
ruary 28, 1804. His early education was
limited. He attended the public schools
until he was fourteen years old, work-
ing during the summer months on his
father's farm and in a saw mill that his
father owned in Marlborough. His father
died when he was sixteen and the man-
agement of the estate devolved upon him.
He continued to operate the saw mill for
a period of twenty-five years, during
which he engaged in business as a carpen-
ter and builder, and at times had as many
as sixty men in his employ, erecting mills,
dwelling houses and other buildings in
Marlborough, Concord, Framingham and
neighboring towns, among them the pres-
ent residence of Judge Hoar, of Concord.
In 1846 the city of Boston purchased the
water privilege of his mill and spent $60,-
000 in the construction of a reservoir.
About 1859 Mr. Maynard repurchased the
property, which is known as the Fort
Meadow Reservoir, and it is used as a
reserve water supply for the woolen mills
of the mills at Maynard. As early as
1845 M r - Maynard began purchasing land
in the vicinity of the reservoir, acquiring
several hundred acres. Early in life he
manifested a preference for mechanical
work and often studied the possibilities of
water powers in various places. In 1822
he drove in a wagon from his native town
to Littleton, New Hampshire, a distance
of two hundred males, spending four days
for the purpose of studying the uses and
possibilities of water power. He bought
the water privilege at the little village of
Assabet in Sudbury, July 2, 1846, and
formed a partnership with W. H. Knight,
of Saxonville, in the same year. A woolen
mill, fifty by one hundred feet, was erect-
ed and there the firm began to manu-



facture carpets and carpet yarns for the
Boston market. At that time there were
no good roads and but fourteen houses in
the village of Assabet. The business
gradually developed and in 1861-62 the
first of the present group of large and sub-
stantial mill buildings was erected, and
the firm began to make blankets on a
large scale. Subsequently the manufac-
ture of woolen goods was developed to a
high degree of art. At the time of Mr.
Maynard's death, the corporation that he
formed and of which he was agent ranked
among the foremost in the country in the
making of strictly woolen goods and its
goods found a market throughout the
United States, in South America and the
West Indies. Offices were established in
Boston, Chicago and New York. More
than five hundred wholesale houses dealt
directly with the company. Under Mr.
Maynard's management the business grew
constantly ; a floor space of ten acres was
afforded by the mill buildings, and about
1,200 operatives employed. In 1847 trie
value of the property was $150,000, which
had been increased tenfold. In the mean-
time the little village had grown to a
thriving town and it was incorporated by
the Legislature, April 19, 1871, as the
town of Maynard, named in honor of the
one man whose foresight, energy and busi-
ness ability had created the enterprise
upon which the existence of the town de-
pended. The new town had a population
of two thousand. More than twelve hun-
dred were in line in the procession when
the birth of the new corporation was for-
mally celebrated April 27, 1871. Mr. May-
nard's son, Lorenzo, was elected the first
town treasurer.

The history of the business would re-
quire a volume by itself. At the begin-
ning Mr. Maynard had a capital of but
$25,000, the savings of his years of early
industry, and he was without experience



346




Ct^t^KLjCcA^t^ 1



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



in the manufacture of woolens. But he
understood mills and machinery, and he
was a genius for getting business and in
disposing of his products. His partner
retired in 1853, before the magnitude of
the enterprise had been realized. Mr.
Maynard shared in the general financial
difficulties before and at the beginning of
the Civil War, but surmounted his trou-
bles. The Assabet Manufacturing Com-
pany was incorporated to operate his
mills, May 23, 1861, J. A. Goddard, presi-
dent, T. Quincy Brown, treasurer, and
Mr. Maynard agent and manager. The
demand of the government for clothing
and blankets for the soldiers in the Civil
War brought back prosperity to the mills
at Maynard. New buildings were built
in 1861 and 1862. One important fac-
tor in the development of the business
was the building of the Fitchburg rail-
road in 1849. Mr. Maynard was instru-
mental in having the line of this railroad
pass through Maynard. His own me-
chanical skill was another important
factor at a time when mill machinery
was in its first period of development.
He had a shrewd eye for new processes
and labor-saving devices. He took pride
in the quality of goods manufactured and
his mills enjoyed a reputation second to
none. He maintained the highest stand-
ards. In later years his sons assumed
the burden of the manufacturing and his
energy was largely devoted to procuring
the business, making the contracts and
selling the output, a field in which he had
no superior. At the time of his death the
annual product of the mills was nine
million yards.

In the village his work of creating a
town was also arduous. He erected
houses, took a keen interest in municipal
houses, founded the church (Congrega-
tional) and shared his fortune freely with
his fellow-townsmen. In 1879 he went



on the first vacation he had taken in fifty
years. He was strong physically and
mentally and he kept in the harness to an
advanced age. For twenty years he
lived in a house opposite the main en-
trance of the mill. He then removed to
a house on the old Puffer place at the
foot of Sumner Hill, returning three
years later to the large house opposite
the mill. In 1862 he moved to Worces-
ter street, Boston, but eight years later
came back to his old home, where he
lived until the mansion on the hill was
completed in 1873. One of his few recre-
ations was music. He led the choir in
the church and played the bass viol and
cello skillfully. His cello is now owned
by his great-grandson, Philip Morgan.
Owing to his age and failing health he
retired from business trips to New York
and Boston in 1885. His mental faculties
gradually failed from that time, though
his physical vigor was retained. In his
eightieth year he suffered a stroke of
paralysis. His death was caused directly
by a fall while he was going upstairs in
his home. He died March 5, 1890.

At the time of his death, the Boston
"Herald" said : "In every sense of the word,
Amory Maynard was a self-made man.
He was for many years well-known
among the business men of Boston, New
York and elsewhere, as well as among the
leading woolen goods manufacturers of
the country." The Hudson "Enterprise,"
December 1, 1883, in descriptive article
on the town of Maynard said: "His influ-
ence has always been felt on the side of
religion, temperance and industry, while
by the practice of these virtues he has
accumulated wealth and won the respect
of his fellow men he has also provided the
opportunity by which others have been
enabled to earn a comfortable living —
some of whom have acquired a com-
petency — raise and educate families and



347



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



individually and in the aggregate become afterward superintendent until 1887, when



a power in the State. Best of all he has
survived to a ripe old age, and in the ful-
ness of his years and in possession of his
faculties surrounded by the grand results
of a correct life and a family in which
he and the worthy companion of his
domestic life are the chief objects of re-
gard and love, he can gaze serenely down
and around and feel a justifiable pride in
these results." Another writer, after his
death, said : "While a man of the strong-
est determination, Mr. Maynard was not
at all unkindly and was never unjust. His
will power, confidence and self-reliance
were remarkable and his devotion to busi-
ness almost unparalleled."

He married, January 26, 1826, Mary
Priest, born at Marlborough, July 8, 1805,
died at Maynard, January 22, 1886,
daughter of Benjamin and Phebe Priest.
"She was a woman of sterling worth, full
of the kindliest feelings of human nature,
unassuming, pleasant to everybody whom
she met and might well have been called
the matron of the town. Our older resi-
dents can testify to her bright qualities
as a neighbor and friend, as she was ever



Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 51 of 62)