American Historical Society. 1n.

New England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) online

. (page 8 of 62)
Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 8 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1770; Jacob, March 21, 1694; Ephraim,
December 28, 1695, died young; Elisha,
October 4, 1697; Ephraim, August 15,
1699; Daniel, mentioned below; Noah,
May 18, died September 20, 1704; Miriam,
August 9, 1705. Children of second wife :
Mary, November 23, 1712; Hannah, Jan-
uary 7, 1715; Bethiah, May 10, 1716;
Rachel, August 10, 1719.

(VI) Daniel Bliss, sixth son of Jona-
than (3) and Miriam (Carpenter) Bliss,
was born at Rehoboth, January 21, 1702,
died August 25, 1782. He married, Janu-
ary 26, 1725, Rev. David Turner officiat-
ing, Dorothy Fuller, of Rehoboth, born
in Rehoboth, July 12, 1706, died there
January 7, 1778. Dorothy Fuller was the
daughter of Samuel and Dorothy (Wil-
marth) Fuller, granddaughter of Samuel
and Mary (Ide) Fuller, great-grand-
daughter of Robert and Sarah (Bowen)
Fuller. Dorothy Wilmarth was the
daughter of John and Ruth (Kendrick)
Wilmarth, granddaughter of George and
Ruth (Bowen) Kendrick. Sarah (Bowen)
Fuller and Ruth (Bowen) Kendrick were
the daughters of Richard Bowen, one of
the original settlers of Rehoboth (see
Bowen). Children, born in Rehoboth:
Daniel, November 16, 1726; Dorothy,
January 13, 1729, married, April 12, 1752,
Elisha Allen; Jacob, February 16, 1732;
Noah, mentioned below ; Ruth, October
23, 1736; Bethiah, July 18, 1738; Joseph,
May 3, 1742; Sibbell, October 2, 1745.



(VII) Noah Bliss, fourth son of Daniel
and Dorothy (Fuller) Bliss, was born
October 24, 1734, in Rehoboth, and mar-
ried there, March 18, 1756, Alithea
Drowne, of Rehoboth.

(VIII) Olive Bliss, eldest daughter of
Noah and Alithea (Drowne) Bliss, was
born May 15, 1765, and died August 27,
1815. She married, May 5, 1785, Asahel
Crossman, of Taunton, Massachusetts,
who was a direct descendant of Robert
Crossman, one of the earliest settlers of
Taunton. Asahel Crossman was a Revo-
lutionary soldier. He responded to the
Lexington Alarm of April 19, 1775, and
served at the siege of Boston. He was
corporal in 1776, in Captain Zebedee
Redding's company, Colonel Josiah Whit-
ing's regiment, and in 1778 served under
Captain Samuel Fales in Rhode Island.
He died at Foster, Rhode Island, Janu-
ary 30, 1837. Through descent from this
Revolutionary soldier, Mrs. Joseph A.
Bowen, of Fall River, and her daughter,
Miss Fanny Corey Bowen, are affiliated
with Quequechan Chapter, Daughters of
the American Revolution, of Fall River
(see Bowen). The children of Asahel
and Olive (Bliss) Crossman, all born in
Foster, Rhode Island, were: Asahel,
Tryphena, Alithea, Olive, Ephraim and
Ezra, twins.

(The Brlggs Llnel.

(I) John Briggs, of Kingstown and
East Greenwich, Rhode Island, was clerk
of a military company in Kingstown,
May 20, 1671, and the same day sub-
scribed to the oath of allegiance. With
five others he purchased a tract of land
at Quohessett in Narragansett from the
chief sachem of the Indians, January 1,
1672. Ten days later he purchased fifty-
seven acres in Kingstown for five pounds,
and in the following year was made a
freeman. He was constable in 1687, in
which year he was taxed five shillings and



50



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



eight pence. Both he and his wife
Frances died after 1697. Children:
Thomas, died in East Greenwich, 1736;
Daniel, died there, 1730; John, born Janu-
ary 25, 1668; James, February 12, 1671 ;
Frances, died in twenty-first year; Rich-
ard, mentioned below ; Robert, born No-
vember 13, 1678; Mary, September 2,
1681 ; Ann, September 2, 1683 ; Sarah,
April 12, 1685.

(II) Richard Briggs, fifth son of John
and Frances Briggs, resided in Kings-
townand East Greenwich, and died in 1733.
His personal property was inventoried at
four hundred and eighty-four pounds, in-
cluding bonds of one hundred and ninety-
eight pounds, fourteen shillings, horse
valued at twenty-six pounds and cattle at
eighty-three pounds. His will made
March 29, proved April 28, 1733, left to
his son John the homestead farm and
lands to sons Caleb and Francis. He
married (first) December 23, 1700, Su-
sanna Spencer, born December 1, 1681,
daughter of John and Susanna Spencer,
of Newport and East Greenwich, died
before 1726, probably before 1720. His
second wife, Experience, died in 1733.
Children of first marriage : Richard, born
October 17, 1701 ; Francis, mentioned be-
low; Audrey, August 10, 1705; Susanna,
December 31, 1707; John, February 8,
1709; Sarah, February 27, 1710; Caleb,
February 2, 1713; Ann, October 25, 1715.

ยป By second marriage : Mary, January 27,
1727; Philip, November 7, 1728; Daniel,
March 29, 1730; Alice, February 17, 1732.

(III) Francis Briggs, second son of
Richard and Susanna (Spencer) Briggs,
was born October 27, 1703, in East Green-
wich, and lived in that town, where he
married, October 17, 1725, Mercy Mat-
teson, daughter of Thomas and Martha
Matteson, born April 28, 1707, in East
Greenwich.

(IV) William Briggs, son of Francis
and Mercy (Matteson) Briggs, lived in



North Kingstown. He married in East
Greenwich, May 20, 1759, Levinia Sweet,
daughter of Timothy and Sarah (Mat-
teson) Sweet, of East Greenwich (see
Sweet VI).

(V) Lucy Briggs, daughter of William
and Levinia (Sweet) Briggs, became the
wife of Benjamin Corey, of East Green-
wich (see Corey V).

(The Sweet Line).

The surname Sweet is identical with
Swett, Sweat, Sweete and is variously
spelled in the early records. The Sweet
family is of ancient English lineage and
has produced many distinguished men.
The Rhode Island family has had many
prominent surgeons, not only in Rhode
Island, but in Massachusetts and New
York. The family is noted for its "natural
bone-setters," exhibiting to a remarkable
degree hereditary skill in this line of pro-
fessional work.

(I) John Sweet was born in England,
and came early in life to Salem, Massa-
chusetts. He was doubtless related to
John Sweet or Swett, who settled in
Newbury among the pioneers and whose
descendants have mostly spelled the name
Swett. It is doubtful as to which of the
Johns killed the famous wolf dog of Gov-
ernor John Endicott. He left Salem in
1637 and settled in Providence, Rhode
Island, where he had a grant of land in
1637 and died in the same year. After-
ward his widow received another grant
of land there. Rev. Hugh Peters, of
Salem, wrote in a letter dated July 1,
1639, of the widow and certain others,
that they had "the great censure passed
upon them in this our church and that
they wholly refused to hear the church,
denying it and all churches in the Bay to
be true churches" etc. John Sweet's
widow married (second) Ezekiel Holli-
man. Her will, dated July 31, 1681, gave
among other bequests all her interest in



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



the house at Warwick to her son-in-law,
John Gereardy, and her daughter Re-
newed. Children: John, mentioned be-
low ; James, born in England, 1622, died
in Kingstown, Rhode Island, 1695 ; Re-
newed, married John Gereardy.

(II) John (2) Sweet, eldest child of
John (1) Sweet, was born about 1620 in
England, and died in 1677 at Newport;
Rhode Island. He was owner of a grist
mill at Patowomut, in Rhode Island,
burned by the Indians in 1675 in King
Philip's War, was admitted a freeman in
1655, and took the oath of allegiance, May
20, 1671. His wife Elizabeth was born
in 1629 and died in 1684. She deposed,
September 18, 1684, that she was aged
forty-five years, and that after the war
she returned with the children to Pato-
womut. Children : John ; Daniel, of War-
wick; James; Henry, mentioned below;
Richard, of West Greenwich ; Benjamin,
of East Greenwich ; William, of East
Greenwich ; Jeremiah ; and a daughter.

(III) Henry Sweet, fourth son of John
(2) and Elizabeth Sweet, resided in East
Greenwich, and had a wife Mary. The
following children are recorded in East
Greenwich: Henry, born March 11,
1682; John, March 24, 1684; Joseph,
March 7, 1687 ; Benjamin, March 29, 1690;
Mary, February 10, 1692 ; Johannah, Feb-
ruary 13, 1695; William, August 1, 1698;
Eals and Ruth (twin daughters), July 10,
1700; Elizabeth, February 25, 1704; Sus-
anna, May 17, 1706; Griffin, September
15, 1709; Hannah, February 8, 1712.

(IV) Joseph Sweet, third son of Henry
and Mary Sweet, was born March 7,
1687, in East Greenwich, in which town
he resided. He married, March 26, 1709,
Rachel Edmunds, probably daughter of
Andrew and Mary (Hearndon) Edmunds,
of Providence, born about 1689. Chil-
dren: Henry, born August 9, 1710; Tim-
othy, mentioned below ; Joseph, October



12, 1715; Jedediah, July 12, 1718; Ebe-
nezer, October 27, 1720; Joshua, Feb-
ruary 25, 1723.

(V) Timothy Sweet, second son of
Joseph and Rachel (Edmunds) Sweet,
was born May 27, 1713, in East Green-
wich, in which town he lived. He mar-
ried, December 22, 1734, Sarah Matteson,
born April 13, 1710, daughter of Henry
and Judith (Weaver) Matteson. Chil-
dren not recorded. Family records show
that the following was his daughter.

(VI) Levinia Sweet, daughter of Tim-
othy and Sarah (Matteson) Sweet, mar-
ried William Briggs, of North Kingstown
(see Briggs IV).



GARDNER, Eugene C,

Architect, Legislator, Author.

An analysis of the life record of the
late Eugene C. Gardner, one of the most
notable citizens of Springfield, a student
of civic problems and a well-known
author, shows that keen discrimination
and unflagging industry constituted the
principal elements in the success which
crowned his efforts. He was a familiar
figure on the streets of Springfield and in
the elder society of that city. His was a
character of the admirable New England
type, in which independence of thought
and speech matched principle and honor
of action, and a cultivated mind joined a
practical sense in making effective his
strong bent toward bettering things in
the interest of the people.

Eugene C. Gardner was born in Ashfield,
Massachusetts, March 28, 1836, son of
Bela and Lucy (Barber) Gardner, grand-
son of John Barber, who came to this
country with Samual Slater, founder of
the Slater cotton mills in Providence,
Rhode Island, and a lineal descendant on
the paternal side of a family who left
Hingham, Massachusetts, in the middle



52




g. c.^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



of the eighteenth century to live in West-
ern Massachusetts for several genera-
tions, generally followed the occupation
of farming.

Eugene C. Gardner spent his early life
in Ashfield assisting with the work of the
home farm and attending the district
school and Ashfield and Conway acade-
mies. He learned the trade of mason and
for a time worked as a journeyman
mason in New Ipswich, New Hampshire,
then went to Florence, whither his par-
ents had removed. The family were Uni-
versalists in their religious associations,
and upon their removal to Florence they
became connected with the Free Reli-
gious Society of that place, which was
then ministered to by famous speakers
from all around the country. Abolition-
ism found its home there, and in that
atmosphere Mr. Gardner grew up and his
character was developed. After his mar-
riage, in 1858, he and his wife went West
and the following four years he served as
principal of the Tallmadge Academy at
Akron, Ohio. He then returned to Flor-
ence, but in the following year, 1863,
opened an office in Northampton, Massa-
chusetts, as a surveyor and architect, and
so continued until 1868, when he removed
to Springfield, same State, and entered
into partnership with Jason Perkins.
Five years later this connection was dis-
solved and Mr. Gardner continued in the
same line of business on his own account.
In 1888 he admitted his son, George C.
Gardner, and George R. Pyne into part-
nership, and Mr. Pyne remained a mem-
ber of the firm until 1901, and from that
time until the death of the senior mem-
ber, February 7, 1915, the father and son
conducted the business under the name
of E. C. & G. C. Gardner. During the
earlier years of the business before the
latter partnership was formed, Mr. Gard-
ner designed many buildings, largely
houses and what was then the largest



mill in the country in ground space of the
Willimantic Knitting Company at Willi-
mantic, Connecticut, and by 1887 he had
made plans for buildings in all but two
of the States and Territories of the
United States. The important buildings
in this region which he planned during
this period and up to the time of his
death include the Springfield Hospital,
the Republican Building, the Hotel
Worthy, the Park Congregational Church
in West Springfield, the J. H. Appleton,
Homer Foot and Joseph H. Wesson
houses in Springfield, the James A. Rum-
rill house in New London, Connecticut,
the Morgan Envelope Building on Harri-
son avenue and a dozen or more Spring-
field school buildings. During the winter
of 1886-87 he opened an office in Atlanta,
Georgia, and designed the Grady Memo-
rial Hospital in that city. After a year
in Europe he returned to Springfield, and
during the winters of 1888-89 conducted
an office in Washington, D. C. During
this period he also made plans for the
Holyoke Hospital, hospitals in Glouces-
ter and South Framingham, the Merrick
mills in Holyoke, the William Whiting
house in Holyoke. When the Boston &
Albany railroad was building a series of
new stone stations, Mr. Gardner made
plans for a number of them. Some of
the public and semi-public building of
Springfield designed by Mr. Gardner
and his son since they entered into part-
nership are the Science Museum, the
Chestnut Street School, the New Street
Railway building, the Technical High
School, Faith Church and the Hitchcock
building. In other places are the State
Hospital in Westfield, the Westfield Nor-
mal School dormitory, the Gilbert Memo-
rial Library at Gilbertville.

Mr. Gardner was a member of the Leg-
islature from the Third Hampden Dis-
trict of 1901 and declined to be a candi-
date for a second term. Mr. Gardner's



53



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



writings for "The Republican" have
formed a great part of his service to the
public. He was the first of architects to
really advise and assist people in building
and furnishing and then taking care of
their own houses. The ready and easy
grace and wit of his writing combined
with the actual presentation of facts
made this accessory gospel of domesticity
practical. Besides these, Mr. Gardner's
letters to "The Republican" on all mat-
ters of public concern and questions of
art and beauty of the city and country ;
his pleasant essays of nature, and not
infrequently ventures into rhythmical
and poetical thought, have shown the
versatility and brightness of mind which
always found a receptive audience. He
was the author of "Homes and How
to Make Them,," "Illustrated Homes,"
"Home Interiors," "House That Jill
Built," "Town and Country School
Houses," and "Common Sense in Church
Building." He was a member of the
Boston Society of Architects and the
American Institute of Architects.

The sojourn in his home of three of the
boys placed by the Chinese government
in American homes more than forty years
ago to be educated in our schools and our
ways and ideas was an extremely inter-
esting experience to Mr. Gardner and
his wife, who became the good friends
and wise guides of these high-bred
youths, and were remembered, and are
to this day remembered, by them and
their families. All three became notable
men in their own country. Tong Shao Yi
was acting viceroy of Pechili province
under Yuan Shi Kai, when the Boxer
rebellion broke out ; he was subsequently
appointed envoy to Tibet, and before he
had assumed his duties was appointed
ambassador to Great Britain, but prefer-
red to go to Tibet. He is now Minister
of Foreign Affairs, under China's new
Republic. Liang Yu Ho began his serv-



ice to his government as vice-consul in
Korea, became consul, practically gov-
ernor, of Mukden, in Manchuria, and
afterward head of the Chinese railroad
system. Wong Yu Chiang became a
prosperous merchant. These Chinese
gentlemen showed their estimate of the
valuable influences of the Gardner home
by sending four boys of the second gen-
eration who became in 1905 members of
the Gardner household and remained for
several years, later attending college in
this country. These men have now
returned to China and are occupying
prominent official and business positions.
Still more recently two daughters of Tong
Shao Yi boys received the benefit of Mr.
Gardner's hospitality in the same way.
Two of these elder pupils, Tong Shao Yi
and Liang Yu Ho visited Mr. Gardner in
the course of travel through this country.
Mr. Gardner married, September 7,
1858, Harriet Bellows Hubbard, a native
of Ashfield, Massachusetts, daughter of
John Hubbard, of New Ipswich, New
Hampshire.



GORDON, Lyman Francis,

A Factor in the Industrial Life of Worcester.

The Gordon clan has a record back to
the time of Malcolm III. Burke says:
"George, the fifth Duke of Gordon, chief
of the distinguished clan of Gordon, died
May 28, 1636, when the dukedom became
extinct and the Marquisate of Huntley
passed to his kinsman the Earl of Aboyne.
His Grace's sisters and co-heirs were
Charlotte, Duchess-dowager of Rich-
mond; Madelina, married (first) Sir
Robert Sinclair, bart., and (second)
Charles Fyshe Palmer of Luckley Park.
Susan, duchess of Manchester; Louisa,
marchioness of Cornwallis ; Georgianna,
duchess-dowager of Bedford. The diver-
gent branches of Gordon of Huntley were
the Gordons of Abergeldie, the Gordons







""}



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



of Gight, the old Gordons of Chinz, from
whom John Taylor Gordon, Esq., M. D.,
the Gordons, Earls of Aboyne, now mar-
quesses of Huntley, etc. Arms: (i)
Quarterly, azure three boars' heads erased
gules ; three for Gordon ; (2) or three
lions heads erased gules langues azure for
Badenoch ; (3) or three crescents a double
tressure gules for Seton ; (4) azure three
cinquefoils argent for Frazer. Crest: In
a ducal coronet or a stag's head and neck,
affrontee proper attired with ten tynes of
the first. Supporters : Two deerhounds
(i. e. Greyhounds argent each gorged
with collar gules charged with three
buckles or. Motto above the crest:
Bydand. Below the shield : Ammo non
astutia. The most ancient of the eighty-
five coats-of-arms borne by the family is
described: Azure three boars' heads
couped or. The three boars' heads appear
in most of the Gordon arms. The head
of the clan is the Marquis of Huntley and
one of his ancestors raised the first regi-
ment of Gordon Highlanders. Gordon
Castle is the family seat. The badge of
the family is Ivy. War cry : A Gordon !
A Gordon !

(1) Alexander Gordon, the first of this
family in America, was born in Scotland.
Alexander Gordon fought in General
Monk's army which was overcome while
fighting for King Charles at the battle
of Worcester. He was one of Cromwell's
prisoners of war sent to this country in
the ship "Liberty," Captain John Allen,
who at the time was a leading shipmaster
out of Charlestown. He bought land at
Concord, Massachusetts, and began to cut
timber there. He emigrated to New
Hampshire in 1660, landing at Ports-
mouth, and ascending the Pisctataqua
and Swamscott rivers, settled on Little
river, a tributary of the Swamscott in the
township of Exeter. He married a daugh-
ter of Nicholas Lysson, a townsman of



Exeter, as the selectmen of that day were
called. Mr. Gordon died in 1697, his wife
Mary surviving him. Children : Eliza-
beth, born February 23, 1664, died March
15, 1696-97, married Thomas Emerson;
Nicholas, born March 23, 1665-66, died
1748; Mary, born May 22, 1668; John,
October 26, 1670, married Sarah Allen;
James, July 22, 1673, died 1717, married
Abiah Redman; Alexander, December 1,
1675, died 1730, married Sarah Sewell;
Thomas, mentioned below; Daniel, mar-
ried Margaret Harriman.

(II) Thomas Gordon, son of Alexander
Gordon, was born in Exeter, New Hamp-
shire. He was a soldier in Captain John
Oilman's company in Queen Anne's War,
1710. He married (first) November 22,
1699, Elizabeth Harriman, of Haverhill,
born November 20, 1675, died 1721. His
second wife, whose name is now un-
known, was the mother of his two young-
est children. He resided in Exeter and
gave his name to Gordon Hill in the west-
ern part of the town. He died, accord-
ing to family tradition, in 1760, aged
eighty years. Children by first wife:
Timothy, born August 19, 1700, died Sep-
tember 5, 1700; Thomas, August 24, 1701,
died August 27, 1772, married Mary
Scribner and Deliverance Eastman ;
Diana or Dinah, January 26, 1703, mar-
ried Benjamin Magoon ; Daniel, Decem-
ber 1, 1704; Abigail, May 28, 1707, married
John Roberts; Benoni, 1709, died Octo-
ber, 1769, married Abigail Smith; Timo-
thy, mentioned below ; James, married
Lydia Leavitt ; Hannah, married Jacob
Smith. Children by second wife: Na-
thaniel, married Elizabeth Smith ; Benja-
min, married Mary Magoon.

(III) Timothy Gordon, son of Thomas
Gordon, was born in Exeter, New Hamp-
shire, March 22, 1716, died March 30,
1796. He lived in Brentwood, New
Hampshire. During the Revolution he



55



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



was a Loyalist, but took no active part
in the war. He was blind during his last
years. He was a member of the Baptist
church. He married Maria Stockbridge,
daughter of Abraham Stockbridge, of
Stratham, New Hampshire. She was
born July 21, 1725. Children: Abraham,
married Miriam Bartlett ; Mary, born
October 22, 1753; Hannah, December 4,
1756; Timothy, mentioned below; Maria,
married Joseph Sanborn ; Elisha, April
11, 1763; Anna, married Eli Bunker;
John, born January 11, 1766.

(IV) Timothy (2) Gordon, son of Tim-
othy (1) Gordon, was born at Brentwood,
New Hampshire, December 30, 1757, died
January 16, 1836. He is buried in the
cemetery on the plains, Newburyport.
When he was but seventeen years old he
and three other lads of the sarae neighbor-
hood joined General John Stark's com-
mand. At the battle of Bunker Hill he
exchanged with a dead soldier his fowl-
ing piece for a Queen Anne musket. He
took part in the battles of Bennington,
White Plains, Stillwater and Saratoga.
He was in later life a pensioner for his
service in the Revolution. He married,
January 23, 1782, Lydia Whitmore, born
October 10, 1763, died January 12, 1835,
daughter of David and Lydia (Giddinge)
Whitmore, granddaughter of Joseph and
Elizabeth (Flagg) Whitmore; great-
great-granddaughter of Joseph Whit-
more. Lydia Giddinge was a daughter of
Jacob and Lydia (Bartlett) Giddinge;
granddaughter of Joshua Giddinge, a son
of John Giddinge, born 1638, died 1691, of
Ipswich. Lydia Bartlett was a daughter
of Daniel Bartlett and granddaughter of
Richard Bartlett, of Newbury. Elizabeth
Flagg was a daughter of Ebenezer Flagg
and granddaughter of Gershom Flagg, a
soldier from Woburn in 1690, killed in
action. After his marriage, Mr. Gordon
made his home in Newbury, Massachu-
setts. Children of Timothy Gordon:



56



William, born May 17, 1783; Lydia, De-
cember 11, 1785; John Stockbridge, De-
cember 23, 1786; Charles, September 5,
1788; Nathaniel, December 7, 1792;
Timothy, March 10, 1795 ; Ebenezer, men-
tioned below ; Harriet Porter, August 2,
1804.

(V) Ebenezer Gordon, son of Timothy
(2) Gordon, was born in Newbury, Belle-
ville, Massachusetts, February 28, 1797,
and died December 29, 1855, in Madbury,
formerly part of Dover, New Hampshire.
His death was due to an accidental fall
from his sleigh. He was a machinist by
trade. For a few years he followed farm-
ing in Franklin county, Maine. He was
an Odd Fellow and his lodge had charge
of the funeral. He married, March 20,
1827, in Dover, New Hampshire, So-
phronia Anderson, who was born in Free-
port, Maine, February 28, 1807, and died
May 7, 1888, daughter of Joseph and
Elizabeth (Pote) Anderson, granddaugh-
ter of James and Mary (Dill) Anderson,
and great-granddaughter of Jacob Ander-
son. The Andersons came to this country
from Dungannon, County Tyrone, Ire-
land. Elizabeth Pote was a daughter of
William and Mary (Washburn) Pote,
granddaughter of Gamaliel Pote, born at
Falmouth, Maine, in 1721, died 1790, and
Miriam (Irish) Pote. Gamaliel Pote was
a soldier in the Louisburg expedition.
Mary Dill was a daughter of Enoch and
Ruth (Parsons) Dill, granddaughter of
John Dill. Ruth Parsons was a daughter
of Elihu Parsons. Children of Ebenezer
Gordon: 1. George Augustus, born July
17, 1828, at Dover; graduate of Dart-
mouth College in 1846; assistant civil
engineer in the Atlantic Cotton Mills at
Lawrence, became engineer of the Lewis-
ton Water Power Company at Lewiston,



Online LibraryAmerican Historical Society. 1nNew England families, genealogical and memorial; a record of the achievements of her people in...the founding of a nation (Volume 2) → online text (page 8 of 62)