eBooksRead.com books search new books
American Historical Society.

Encyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical; (Volume 3) online

. (page 6 of 62)
Online LibraryAmerican Historical SocietyEncyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical; (Volume 3) → online text (page 6 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Connecticut, in 1639. Windsor S. Trow-
bridge (father) was one of the first
settlers of Ogden, Monroe county, New
York, in 1812, and followed the occupa-
tion of farming.

John Trowbridge attended the common
schools of the neighborhood during the
winter months, the remainder of the year
assisting his father with the work of the
farm. He taught himself the rudiments
of French, Greek and Latin, in which he
later became proficient. During the
winter of 1844-45 ne served in the capac-
ity of teacher in a classical school at
Lockport, New York, and in the latter
named year removed to Lisle, Illinois,
where for one year, 1845-46, he taught
school and performed farm work, princi-
pally the raising of wheat, and in 1846
returned to Lockport, New York, where
he filled the position of teacher in the dis-
trict school for one year, 1846-47. In May
of the latter named year he removed to
New York City, having decided to devote
his life to literature. He made the ac-
quaintance of Major Noah, through
whose influence he became a contributor
to the "Dollar Magazine" and other publi-
cations. In August, 1848, he removed to
Boston, Massachusetts, and there wrote
for the "Olive Branch," the "Yankee
Blade," the "Carpet Bag," and other
weeklies. In 1850 he edited the "Yankee
Nation," published under the firm name
of J. T. Trowbridge & Company, and
afterward was an associate editor of the
"American Sentinel." in which, during the



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



temporary absence of the proprietor, Ben
Perley Poore, in 1851, he published an
editorial on the fugitive-slave law that
offended subscribers on both side of
the question, and materially assisted in
bringing the paper to an untimely end.
For several years he wrote under the pen
name of "Paul Creyton," and became
widely and favorably known as a writer
of popular tales and a delineator of New
England life. His first book, "Father
Brighthopes, or, an Old Clergyman's Va-
cation," was published in Boston in 1853,
and was followed by others in quick suc-
cession, forming what is called the
"Brighthopes Series," consisting of, be-
sides the above named, "Burr Cliff, its
Sunshine and its Clouds," "Hearts and
Faces," "Iron Thrope," and "The Old
Battle-Ground." Martin Merrivale, his
X Mark," was published in 1854. He
visited Europe in 1855, writing, while in
Paris, "Neighbor Jackwood," which has
been called "the pioneer of novels of real
life in New England," and which was
subsequently dramatized and produced at
the Boston Museum, where his spectacu-
lar piece, "Sinbad the Sailor," also had a
successful run. He made a western jour-
ney in 1857, writing letters for the "New
York Tribune" over the signature of
"Jackwood ;" he was one of the original
contributors to the "Atlantic Monthly,"
which made its first appearance in No-
vember, 1857, and "Vagabonds," his most
successful poem, first appeared in its
pages in 1863, and in the following year
"Cudjo's Cave" was published, and in
less than a week thirteen thousand copies
were sold. From 1870 to 1873 he was
managing editor of "Our Young Folks,'
and he was also a contributor to t!^
"Youth's Companion," 1873-88, and to the
"Knickerbocker," "Putnam's," "Atlantic
Almanac," "Hearth and Home," and
other periodicals. He again visited Eu-



rope, remaining from 1888 to 1891. He
received the honorary degree of Master
of Arts from Dartmouth College in 1884.
Among the publications not already men-
tioned are: "The Drummer Boy," "The
Three Scouts," "The South, a Tour of its
Battle-Fields and Ruined Cities," "Neigh-
bors' Wives," "Coupon Bonds and Other
Stories," "The Jack Hazard Series," "The
Silver Medal Series," "The Tide-Mill
Series," "A Start in Life," "Biding His
Time," "Adventures of David Vane and
David Crane," "The Kepi Gatherers,"
"The Scarlet Tanager," "The Fortunes of
Toby Trafford," "Woodie Thorpe's Pil-
grimage," "The Satin-Wood Box," "The
Lottery Ticket," "The Prize Cup," "Two
Biddicut Boys," and "My Own Story."
His poems are : "The Vagabonds," "The
Emigrant's Story," "The Book of Gold,"
"A Home Idyl," and "The Lost Earl."
In connection with C. E. Cobb he wrote
"Heroes of '76; a Dramatic Cantata
of the Revolution," published in 1877.
Many of his shorter productions were
favorite "speaking pieces" for schoolboys
before and during Civil War days. The
best known of his verse was his humor-
ous poem, "Darius Green and his Flying
Machine," written in 1870. W r hen, forty
years later, he first saw an aeroplane in
flight, he remarked, "I never dreamed
when I wrote that poem, that such a
thing as a flying machine was even a
possibility in my lifetime." John Bur-
roughs said of him : "He knows the heart
of a boy and the heart of a man, and has
laid them both open in his books."

Mr. Trowbridge married (first) May 9,
1860. Cornelia, daughter of John Warren,
of Lowell, Massachusetts ; (second) June
4, 1873, Ada, daughter of Alonzo E. and
Sarah (Emery) Newton, of Arlington,
Massachusetts, where Mr. Trowbridge
made his permanent home in 1865. He
died there, February 12, 1916.



37



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



BOWEN, Joseph Abraham,

Active Factor in Community Affair*.

The Bowen family settled in various
towns in the vicinity of Rehoboth, in
Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode
Island. Some are descended from Oba-
diah Bowen and Thomas Bowen, sons of
Richard Bowen, who also settled at Re-
hoboth. The Woodstock, Connecticut,
family of Bowens is descended from Grif-
fith Bowen, of Boston. The records of
this section are incomplete and it is im-
possible to trace some of these families
correctly. In 1790 Eleazer, James and
Oliver Bowen were heads of families at
Thompson, Connecticut, John and Joseph
in an adjoining town. At the same time
there were Bowens in Cranston, Foster,
Glocester and Smithfield, Rhode Island.

Richard Bowen came from Kittle Hill,
Glamorganshire, Wales, to this country,
about 1638, lived for a time at Weymouth
and settled at Rehoboth, Massachusetts.
He was a proprietor and town officer in
Rehoboth, and was admitted a freeman,
June 4, 1645. His first wife bore the
name of Ann and the second Elizabeth.
He was buried February 4, 1674, and in
his will dated June 4, 1673, he bequeathed
his property to his wife and children. His
widow was buried in 1685. Children:
William; Obadiah, mentioned below;
Richard ; Thomas ; Alice, who married a
Wheaton ; Sarah, married Robert Fuller;
Ruth, married George Kendrick.

John Bowen, probably a descendant of
Richard Bowen, mentioned above, first
appears in Freetown, Massachusetts, as
early as 1739, where his marriage is re-
corded July 3, 1739. His wife, Penelope
(Borden) Bowen, was the widow of Ste-
phen Borden, and daughter of John and
Mary (Pearce) Read, of Freetown, born
October 12, 1703, granddaughter of John
Read, of Freetown, and great-grand-
daughter of John Read, one of the first



settlers of Newport, who came according
to tradition from Plymouth, England.
John Read, Jr., was for thirty-five years
town clerk of Freetown, and three times
representative in the General Court (see
Read). Mrs. Bowen had six children by
her first marriage, and two, Nathan and
John, by the second. After her death Mr.
Bowen married (second) Sarah Gray.
John Bowen became a large land owner
in what is now the southern part of Fall
River, then a part of Tiverton, and his
homestead is still standing, though
greatly changed, on South Main street
near what was formerly known as
Bowen's Hill. His will is dated May 13,
1789.

Nathan Bowen, son of John and Pene-
lope (Read-Borden) Bowen, was born
April 4, 1740, in Tiverton, and lived in
Freetown. In 1790 his family at Free-
town comprised six members. He mar-
ried (first) November II, 1762, Hannah
Cook, born June 25, 1741, daughter of
John and Martha (Wood) Cook (see
Cook VI). He married (second) Nancy
Read. He died November 9, 1825. His
children by the first marriage were:
Elizabeth, born September 24, 1763, mar-
ried Jonathan Borden ; Bathsheba, Feb-
ruary 20, 1765, married Paul Sherman;
Susanna, February 5, 1767; Ruth, No-
vember 7, 1768; Rhoda, November 7,
1770, married David Babbitt; Abraham,
mentioned below; Phebe, March 5, 1775;
Martha, July 31, 1777, married Richard
Borden ; Nathan, July 7, 1782, died young.
By the second marriage : Joseph, born
May 20, 1797, died November 29, 1806;
Paul, March 5, 1800, removed to Cayuga
county, New York. Nathan Bowen is of
record as performing service in the Revo-
lution, being a member of Captain Henry
Brightman's company, Colonel Hatha-
way 's regiment, which marched on the
alarm of August, 1780, service in Rhode
Island.



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Hon. Abraham Bowen, eldest son of
Nathan and Hannah (Cook) Bowen, was
born March 2, 1773, in Freetown, and
owned a tract of land which extended
from Bedford to Elm streets and from
the harbor to the Watuppa pond. He
was prominent in public affairs, was
selectman of Fall River in 1806 and again
in 1817, and representative to the General
Court in 1804, 1807-08 and 1821. On the
establishment of the post office at Fall
River in 1811, its location seemed unsatis-
factory to many and it was removed two
years later to Steep Brook, which at that
time and for some time after was a strong
rival of Fall River in business. In 1816
the office was reestablished at Fall River
and Mr. Bowen was appointed postmas-
ter, filling that office for eight years, until
his death, when he was succeeded by his
son, James G. Bowen, who was in office
until 1831, and who was otherwise promi-
nent in the busines life of Fall River
was at one time selectman of the town.
It was at Abraham Bowen's suggestion
that the name of the town was changed in
1804 from Fall River toTroy, which name
continued in use until 1833. Mr. Bowen
was among the pioneers in the cloth-mak-
ing industry in Fall River, being a promo-
ter of the Fall River manufactory in 1813,
and was one of the eight incorporators
of Pocasset Manufacturing Company in
1822. He was one of the three incorpora-
tors of the Watuppa Reservoir Company,
the other two being Oliver Chace, Sr.,
and Dexter Wheeler. His hospitable home
was located at the northeast corner of
Main and Bedford streets, where he fre-
quently entertained prominent and dis-
tinguished guests. Mr. Bowen died
March 9. 1824. He married Ruth Graves,
born August 6. 1769, daughter of James
and Hope (Borden) Graves, of Provi-
dence, and granddaughter of Richard
Borden, of Fall River. She died August
4, 1824, surviving her husband but a short



time. Children: James G., born Decem-
ber 2, 1795; John, September 15, 1797,
died July 16, 1801 ; Amanda Malvina
Fitz Allen, September 22, 1799, married,
January 2, 1823, John C. Borden ; Zepha-
niah, April 13, 1801, died September 7,
1820; Abraham, mentioned below; Jen-
nette, September 16, 1805, married Dr.
Jason Archer; Nathan, May, 1808, died
young; Ruth Victoria, December 22,
1809, or 1810, married Dr. William H.
Webster ; Aldeberanto Phoscofornia, June
6, iSn, married, April 19, 1829, Andrew
C. Fearing, of Botson, and died at Ware-
ham, Massachusetts.

Abraham (2) Bowen, fourth son of
Hon. Abraham (i) and Ruth (Graves)
Bowen, was born August 26, 1803, in Fall
River, and lived sixty-two years in one
house, which he built on Rock street. He
was occupied in teaming and was en-
gaged in the shipping and grain business
as a member of the firm of Read &
Bowen. He was also for a long time a
printer and publisher, editing a news-
paper styled "All Sorts." He died in
Somerset, Massachusetts, January 24,
1889. He married in Fall River, Febru-
ary 15, 1827, Sarah Ann, daughter of Ma-
jor Joseph Evans and Sybil (Valentine)
Read, a direct descendant of John Read,
of Newport. She died in Somerset, July
3, 1891. Her father, Major Joseph E.
Read, was long prominent in the military
affairs of Freetown, and after his removal
to Fall River served several years as rep-
resentative to the General Court of Mas-
sachusetts. He was also special commis-
sioner for Bristol county (see Read VI).
Children of Abraham (2) Bowen: i.
Ellen A., born February 15, 1830, mar-
ried, September 17, 1873, A. J. P.ealkey,
and died May i, 1900, no issue. 2. Joseph
Abraham, mentioned below. 3. Sarah V.,
born December 8, 1839, in the house built
by her father, where she has always re-
sided.



39



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Joseph Abraham Bowen, only son of
Abraham (2) and Sarah Ann (Read)
Bowen, was born October 10, 1832, in
Fall River, and spent his early days in
his native city, attending private and
public schools. After his eighth year his
time was divided between study and work
in his father's printing office. In 1849 he
entered the Fall River High School as a
member of the first class, and engaged in
business on his own account in 1856, when
he established a coal business located at
Morgan's wharf at the foot of Walnut
street. Later he purchased what was
known as Slade's wharf, now Bowen's
wharf, and still later a half interest in
Morgan's wharf, after which his business
was carried on at both wharves. Through
his energy, business capacity and in-
dustry he developed an extensive and suc-
cessful business, which he continued ac-
tively more than fifty-three years. He
caused much dredging to be done at his
wharf at heavy expense, and it was he
who made the initial movement for the
improvement of Fall River harbor. Mr.
Bowen was active in public affairs and
served in both branches of the city gov-
ernment, being a member of the Common
Council in 1862-63 and of the Board of
Alderman in 1869-70. He was chairman
of the committee to consider the advis-
ability of establishing waterworks for the
city, and after the analysis of various
sources of water supply he made the re-
port of that committee. As one of the
first board of water commissioners he
took an active part in the construction of
the waterworks system, and was for two
years president of the board of trade. He
was a director in a number of cotton in-
dustries, was most active in promoting
the business interests of the city, and was
among its most highly esteemed and re-
spected citizens. He died at his summer
home in Warren, Rhode Island, Septem-
ber 30, 1914, in his eighty-second year,



and was buried in Oak Grove Cemetery,
Fall River. He married, January 19,
1865, in Fall River, Fanny Maria Corey,
who was born in that city, August 21,
1840, daughter of Jonathan and Clarissa
(Bennett) Corey (see Corey VII and
Bennett VI). They were the parents of
two children, both born in Fall River:
Joseph Henry, mentioned below; Fanny
Corey, October 17, 1869, who was gradu-
ated from the Fall River High School in
1886 and from Smith College, Northamp-
ton, Massachusetts, in 1890. Both Mrs.
Bowen and her daughter are members of
Quequechan Chapter, Daughters of the
American Revolution, of Fall River.

The Fall River "News," in commenting
upon the death of Mr. Bowen, under date
of September 30, 1914, editorially, said:

In the death of Joseph A. Bowen, Fall River
loses another of its business leaders. Just as he
was about to finish the eighty-second year of his
life, Mr. Bowen was called to cease from his
earthly activities and relationships and to pass
into the eternal life. He was in a family line that
dates back almost to the beginning of our history
as a separate community. His ancestry included
several of the families which have been promi-
nent in the life of Fall River, including the Bor-
dens, Durfees, Winslows, and others. The son of
a printer, in whose office he worked in his early
years, a member of the first class in our high
school, he struck out in a new line of business in
which he persisted throughout his long, active
and useful life. For almost three-score years he
had been engaged in the business of a coal dealer,
in which he made a large success. Early in his
active life, he started a movement for the im-
provement of the harbor of Fall River and
himself expended large sums for dredging to en-
able boats of deep draught to come up to his
wharves. Shipping of his own brought coal to his
yards.

Not only for sea-going facilities do we owe
much to Mr. Bowen's energy and foresight, but
also for our water works system. As a member
of the city government, he agitated the question
of establishing such a system and was made
chairman of a committee to consider its advis-
ability. He wrote the report of the committee,
and upon the adoption of its recommendation he



40



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



was made a member of the first board of water
commissioners and took an active part in the de-
velopment of the plans.

For two years Mr. Bowen was president of the
Fall River Board of Trade. He was also director
of several cotton manufacturing concerns. Thus
he has had an important part in developing Fall
River from its early days to its present condition
of business and municipal life. In making that
life what he thought it ought to be and might be-
come, he was always an interested and many
times a valuable contributor. He felt that the
welfare of the church was essential to the wel-
fare of any community, and he therefore gave
that his cordial and earnest support. During the
most or all of his life, he and his family were
identified with the work of the Central Congrega-
tional Church in its financial, social and spiritual
affairs. His departure will add another to the
severe losses which that church has sustained in
recent years.

With a wide acquaintance, both within and
without the city, energetic and discerning, kindly
in spirit and benevolent, Mr. Bowen, veteran coal
dealer, valuable citizen, interested and helpful
churchman, will be not a little missed, even
though his state of health had already removed
him from close connection with public and busi-
ness affairs.

RESOLUTIONS ON DEATH OF JOSEPH A. BOWEN.
At a meeting of the Pocahontas Operators' As-
sociation, held at Bluefield, West Virginia, Octo-
ber 6, 1914, the following resolutions were
adopted :

It is with feeling of profound sorrow and deep
regret, that we learn of the death of Mr. Joseph
A. Bowen, of Fall River, Massachusetts, which
occurred September 30, 1914.

In the death of Mr. Bowen, the Pocahontas
Operators' Association has lost a true and sincere
friend. He purchased in the year 1883, through
Messrs. Castner & Co., Limited, of Philadelphia,
the first cargo of Pocahontas coal shipped from
Norfolk, Virginia, to New England, which he
distributed to the cotton mills throughout Fall
River, Massachusetts, and continued handling
Pocahontas coal up to the time of his death.

Mr. Bowen was a man of pleasing personality
and sterling integrity. As a friend he inspired
confidence and esteem, and it is, as such a friend,
that we admired him and deeply mourn the loss
we have suffered by his death.

It is therefore resolved that this expression of our
feelings be entered on the minutes of our associ-
ation and copies of same be published in the



Bluefield "Telegraph," the "Black Diamond," and
the "Coal Trade Journal" as well as a copy for-
warded with our deepest sympathy, to the mem-
bers of his family.

(Signed)

PHILIP GOODWILL, C. W. BOARDMAN,
HARRY BOWEN, JENKIN JONES,
WILLIAM D. ORD, W. H. THOMAS,
JAIRUS COLLINS, MORRISS WATTS,
G. S. PATTERSON, D. H. BARGER,
ISAAC T. MANN, WILLIAM J. BEURY.
JOHN J. LINCOLN, JOHN T. TIERNEY,

Secretary. Chairman.

The Coal Trade Journal, Nov. 18, 1914.

Joseph Henry Bowen, only son of
Joseph Abraham and Fanny M. (Corey)
Bowen, was born March 18, 1866, in Fall
River, was graduated from the Fall River
High School in 1883, from Phillips Exeter
Academy in 1884, and from Harvard Uni-
versity in 1888. After leaving college
Mr. Bowen became associated in the coal
business with his father, with which he is
still connected. The firm has also been
interested in shipping, being agents for
coasting schooners engaged in the coal
carrying trade. He married, June 19,
1890, Mary S. Whitney, daughter of Ed-
ward H. and Jennie (Hooper) Whitney,
of Cambridge, Massachusetts, where she
was born November 16, 1868. They have
children, all born in Fall River: I. Joseph
Whitney, born May 18, 1891, attended
the Fall River High School, graduated
from Phillips Exeter Academy in 1908,
and from Harvard University in 1912,
and is now associated with his father in
the coal business ; he married, November
1 6, 1915, Florence Horton, daughter of
Melvin Borden Horton, of Fall River. 2.
Harold Corey, born May 26, 1896, at-
tended the High School and Phillips
Exeter Academy, now an assistant in the
coal business. 3. Edward Hooper, born
October 14, 1899, attended the Fall River
High School, and is now at Phillips
Exeter Academy.



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



(The Cook Line).

(I) Captain Thomas Cook, the pro-
genitor of the Cook family in America,
was born probably in Essex, England, in
the year 1603, and emigrated to New
England in 1635-36, settling first in Bos-
ton, Massachusetts. From there he went
to Plymouth Colony at Taunton, Massa-
chusetts, and was an original proprietor
of the town in 1637. He was there with
his son, Thomas Cook, in 1643. Probably
both moved to Portsmouth, Rhode Island,
early, where he was called "captain ;'' in
1659 was commissioned to survey the
west line of the Colony of Rhode Island.
In 1637 Captain Thomas Cook united
with a company of fifty-four persons and
purchased from the Teliquet Indians the
township known as Taunton and with
other purchasers was an original proprie-
tor of the city of Taunton. In 1643 he
disposed of his interests in Taunton and
removed with his family to the town of
Portsmouth, originally called Pocasset,
on the island called Rhode Island. On
the 5th of October of that year he was
voted on and received as an inhabitant by
the council of the town. His lot, after-
ward known as the "home lot" of Captain
Cook, was situated on the eastern shore
of the island in the seaport of Ports-
mouth, six miles from Newport, and there
he established the first "homestead'' of
the Cook family in America. After a
period of two hundred and thirty-three
years, in 1876, all that was visible of the
old "homestead" was the well and re-
mains of the cellar and chimney of the
house on the river bank a few rods from
the wharf. While there he acquired other
lands and at the time of his death the
homestead contained (including the ad-
joining land of his son, John) about two
hundred acres. In 1664 Captain Thomas
Cook was elected deputy member of the
General Assembly of the colony from
Portsmouth, the assembly then holding



its sessions at Newport, Rhode Island.
Captain Thomas Cook lived through the
famous King Philip War and survived
all the devastations and damages to him-
self, family and property, his place now
known as "Glen Farm." He was twice
married, the Christian name of his second
wife being Mary, born about 1605, mar-
ried in England in 1626. He died Febru-
ary 6, 1677, and his will, proved June 20,
1677, gives to wife, son John and grand-
children. His children were: Thomas,
mentioned below; John, born 1631;
Sarah, 1633 ; George, 1635.

(II) Captain Thomas (2) Cook, son of
Captain Thomas (i) Cook, born 1628,
was brought to America in 1635, landing
in Boston. With his family he removed
to Taunton in 1637, and thence to Ports-
mouth in 1643, there spending the re-
mainder of his life. He was considered a
man of substance and distinction at Ports-
mouth, where he was a freeman in 1655.
In 1658 he acquired land in Tiverton, this
being the first introduction of the Cook
family there. He married Mary, daugh-
ter of William and Dionis Havens, and
his children were : Thomas, John, George,
Stephen, Ebenezer, Phebe and Martha.
He died in 1670-72.

(III) Captain John Cook, second son
of Captain Thomas (2) and Mary
(Havens) Cook, born 1652, and died
October I, 1727. He was a freeman in
1668. He was a noted Indian fighter,
being a lieutenant of a Rhode Island com-
pany of which John Almy was captain
and Roger Golding ensign, and in 1704
the General Assembly passed an act
granting Captain John Cook compensa-
tion for military services rendered to the
colony. In 1680 he married Mary - ,
and they lived in Portsmouth and Tiver-
ton, Rhode Island, his dwelling at Tiver-
ton being a large, fine house for the times.
Their children were: Thomas, mentioned
below; John, born 1685, married Eliza-



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



beth Little; Peleg; George, 1690, mar-
ried Jane Weeden ; Joseph, 1692 ; Sarah,
1694; Phebe, 1696; Mary, 1698; De-



Online LibraryAmerican Historical SocietyEncyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical; (Volume 3) → online text (page 6 of 62)
Using the text of ebook Encyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical; (Volume 3) by American Historical Society active link like:
read the ebook Encyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical; (Volume 3) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014