American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 151 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 151 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Macdonald, Past-President, Am. Soc. C. E., was President of this
Company. During this period the Delaware Bridge Company made
an arrangement with the Edge Moor Iron Company, of Wilmington,
Del., to manufacture the ironwork of the bridges built by the former
company, and Mr. Schneider was stationed at Edge Moor where he
had charge of the design and construction of various bridges, including
the Rockville Bridge over the Susquehanna River, near Harrisburg,
Pa., on the Pennsylvania Railroad, the Cohoes Bridge, on the Delaware
and Hudson Railroad, and several smaller ones.

On August 1st, 1878, he opened his own office in New York City,
specializing in the design of bridge and structural work. One of
the first pieces of work handled by him was a number of Howe truss
spans for the Canadian Pacific Railway, the most important of which
was for the Stony Creek Viaduct. This bridge carried traffic for
the Canadian Pacific Railway until 1893, when it was replaced by a
large arch span. Mr. Schneider's connection with the Canadian Pacific
Railway Company dates from this time. For this Company he acted
as Consulting Engineer, in numerous cases, almost to the end of
his life.

One of the most important structures for this railroad was the
527-ft. cantilever bridge over the Fraser River, built by Mr. Schneider
in 1887. This was one of the first cantilever bridges built in America,
and it carried traffic until 1910, when it was taken down to make
room for a structure of greater capacity; but it was re-erected across
a chasm known as Niagara Ravine, on the line of the Esquimault
and Nanaimo Railway (operated by the Canadian Pacific Railway),
near Victoria, B. C. Both these structures were considerably ahead
of their time, and have not been improved on by the most recent
practice, except in a very few features.



MEMOIE OF CHAKLES CONRAD SCHNEIDER 1667

In more recent years, Mr. Sclmeider passed on the design of the
Lethbridge Viaduct, for the Canadian Pacific Railway, and also
quite a number of smaller structures, including some Scherzer and
Strauss bascule bridges. He was also called in consultation by this
Railway Company for the reconstruction of the St. Lawrence River
Bridge, near Montreal, Que., where the rebuilding of the superstruc-
ture and the remodeling of the piers for a wider and heavier bridge
involved numerous difficult and interesting problems.

Numerous other structures were handled by Mr. Schneider in his
New York office, the most important of which was the cantilever bridge
over the Niagara River for the Grand Trunk Railroad. He wrote a
highly interesting paper* about this structure for the Society, for
which he was awarded the Rowland Prize in 1886.

He also designed all the interior steel framework and the anchorage
for the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor during this time.

When, in 1886, competitive designs were requested for a crossing
over the Harlem River, by the Commission appointed by the City of
New York, Mr. Schneider was awarded first prize for his plans. His
friends have always regretted that his very beautiful and correctly
conceived design had not been built in place of the structure which is
now known as the Washington Bridge.

From 1879 to 1883, Mr. Schneider wa^ associated with the late
George S. Morison, Past-President, Am. Soc. C. E., on a number of
important structures, such as the Plattsmouth, Bismarck, and Blair
Bridges across the Missouri River, and the Snake River Bridge, at
Ainsworth, Wash.

In 1886, Mr. Schneider was a member of a board of consulting
engineers appointed by the New York District Railway Company. His
associates on this board were: William P. Trowbridge, Charles C.
Martin, Julius W. Adams, John T. Fanning, Alfred P. Boiler, Gen.
Quincy A. Gilmore, Henry Morton, and Charles F. Chandler. This
Company proposed to build an underground railway under Broadway,
with a junction at 14th Street, one line passing up Madison Avenue
and the other continuing north under Broadway.

In May, 1886, Mr. Schneider entered into an agreement with the
A. and P. Roberts Company, of Philadelphia, Pa., owners of the
Pencoyd Iron Works, to establish a Bridge and Construction Depart-
ment in connection with its works, and, subsequently, was appointed
Chief Engineer. Under his direction this Bridge and Construction
Department developed into the largest and most progressive establish-
ment of its kind in the United States, and gained an international
reputation.

• "The Cantilever Bridge at Niagara Palls", Transactions . Am. Soc. C. E., Vol.
XIV, p. 499.



16(38 MEMOIR OF CHARLES CONRAD SCHNEIDER

Some of the most important structures built by the Pencoyd Iron
Works under his supervision are the Delaware Eiver Bridge, for the
Pennsylvania liailroad, near Philadelphia; the Niagara Falls and
Clifton Arch Bridge, over the Niagara River, near the Falls; the
Pennsylvania Railroad Company's old trainshed, in Jersey City; the
Chesapeake and Ohio Bridge down the James River, in Richmond;
and innumerable smaller structures in the United States, Mexico,
and Japan.

In 1893, the Long Island Railroad Company took an interest in
the project for a bridge over the East River at Blackwell's Island,
previously referred to, with a view of establishing a terminal in New
York City. Work was actually commenced, and, in 1894, competitive
designs for the bridge were invited. The bridge was to accommodate
four railroad tracks, with approaches and a terminal station west of
Second Avenue, New York City. The plans adopted by the Long
Island and New York Bridge Company were the designs made by
Mr. Schneider, for the Pencoyd Iron Works, to which Company the
contract for the entire steel superstructure of the bridge and approaches
was awarded in March, 1895. Considerable work had been done on
this bridge on piers and foundations, complete detailed drawings of
the superstructure were made, and a portion of the material was
rolled, when, on account of the death of Austin Corbin, President
of the Long Island Railroad, the Company again became disorganized.

The American Bridge Company was formed in 1900, and, on May
21st, Mr. Schneider was elected Vice-President in charge of Engi-
neering. He held this office until May 16th, 1901, when it was abolished
and, on the same day, he was elected a Director and Vice-President
of the American Bridge Company of New York, also in charge of
Engineering. These offices he held until April 20th, 1903, when he
became Consulting Engineer of the Company, which position he held
during the remainder of his life. His associates in the American Bridge
Company held him in the highest esteem, and felt that his influence
for good in the Company was very potent, particularly in the early days
of the organization. The first President of the Company expresses his
estimate of him as follows:

"Mr. Schneider without question stood at the very head of his
Profession and, in addition, I believe, never had an enemy in his entire
career. I say this from intimate personal contact extending over a
period of fifteen or twenty years. He had the confidence, not only
of his fellow engineers, but of the consumer as well. His position
at the head of the Engineering Department of the American Bridge
Company gave to the organization a solid foundation among its com-
petitors and the confidence of its customers. To the internal working
of the Company, he was a great advantage at the start, as naturally
many conflicting interests had to be considered, and I believe the
entire staff was always willing to accept his decisions without friction."



MEMOIE OF CHARLES COXEAD SCHNEIDER 1669

During this time, Mr. Schneider continued his connection with the
Canadian Pacific Railway as Consulting Engineer, and was also
appointed Consulting Engineer for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad
Company.

In 1903, he was commissioned, in conjunction with Theodore Cooper,
M. Am. Soc. C. E., by the Imperial Government Railways of Japan,
to prepare a large set of standard plans for bridges for the Japanese
Railways. These plans are still in use, and large tonnages have
been shipped from the United States to Japan in conformity with them.

After the collapse of the Quebec Bridge, he was commissioned,
by the Canadian Government, to make a report on the causes of the
failure, which report he finished, in 1908, in the most thorough and
exhaustive manner. In 1911, he was appointed by the Canadian Govern-
ment as a member of the Board of Engineers for the rebuilding of
the Quebec Bridge, which position he held until his death.

Mr. Schneider frequently contributed to technical papers. Besides
his article on the cantilever bridge at Niagara Falls in 1886, previously
mentioned, for which he received the Rowland Prize, in 1905 he received
the Norman Medal from the Society for his paper on "The Structural
Design of Buildings",* and, again, in 1908 the Norman Medal for his
paper on ''Movable Bridges."t These, together with his "Standard
Specifications for Railway and Highway Bridges" and the volume
of "Standard Details" which he compiled for the American Bridge
Company, known to every structural engineer, form his chief con-
tributions to technical literature.

When Mr. Schneider wrote his first railroad specifications for the
Pencoyd Iron Works, he put his impact theory into practical use
for the first time. This method of calculation has been adopted by
the Government of India and by a large number of American rail-
ways, and has also been incorporated in the "Manual" of the American
Railway Engineering Association and in its "General Specifications
for Railway Bridges.''

Mr. Schneider was a member of the American Railway Engineering
Association, American Society for Testing Materials, the Yerein
Deutscher Ingenieure, in Germany, and the Engineers' Club of New
York.

Mr. Schneider was dearly beloved by his many friends on account
of his sterling character and his kindly disposition. He was always
willing and ready to assist brother engineers with advice, giving to
them freely from his rich fund of knowledge, and large indeed is the
number of engineers to-day in responsible positions, who owe their
training and their positions to him. He was most democratic in his
ways and of a lovable disixjsition, and gained, in the highest degree,

* Transactions, Am. Soc. C. E., Vol. LIV, p. 371.
t Transactions, Am. Soc. C. E., Vol. LX, p. 258.



1670 MEMOIE OF CHARLES CONRAD SCHNEIDER

the respect of everybody who came in contact with him. He always
stood for good work, good designs, and good details, and the Engi-
neering Profession is greatly indebted to him for the present high
standard that has been obtained in bridge and structural work. His
was a most useful life, well lived, an example and an inspiration
to the Profession, that will remain in the memory of all who had the
privilege of knowing him.

He was married on January 8th, 1880, to Catherine Clyde,
daughter of John J. and Ruth H. (Luther) Winters, of Xew
York City. It was a great blow to him when he lost his only son in
early boyhood. He is survived by his widow and his daughter, Helen,
the wife of John Phillips Badenhausen, M. Am. Soc. C. E.

Mr. Schneider was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on February 6th, 1884. He served as a Director in
18S7 and from 1898 to 1900, and was elected Vice-President in 1902
and President in 1905. He was Chairman of the Library Committee
in 1903 and Chairman of the Committee on Concrete and Reinforced
Concrete from 1904 to 1911.



MEMOIR OF WILLIAM DOUGLAS PICKETT 1671

WILLIAM DOUGLAS PICKETT, Hon. M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died March 5th, 1917.



William Douglas Pickett was the son of George Blackwell Pickett
and Courtney (Heron) Pickett, members of prominent Virginia fam-
ilies. After their marriage, the Picketts had settled in the Tennessee
Eiver Valley, near Huntsville, Ala., where William Douglas Pickett
was born on October 2d, 1827. After the death of his father, the family
moved to Kentucky where the boy received his preliminary education,
iirst in Eichmond and then in Lexington. Having chosen Civil Engi-
neering as his life work, he prepared himself for it at Transylvania
University, from which he was graduated in 1845.

Immediately after his graduation, Mr. Pickett went to Texas, where
he was engaged as Engineer in establishing the disputed lines of a
large landed estate. While thus employed, war with Mexico was
declared, and Mr. Pickett enlisted with the Texas Rangers. In 1848
when the war was ended, he returned to Kentucky and resumed the
practice of his Profession. He was engaged on the reconstruction of
the strap-railroad from Lexington to Frankfort, the first railroad built
west of the Alleghany Mountains. He also served as Assistant
Engineer on the railroad constructed from Lexington to Danville, and,
later, as Chief Engineer, he located and built railroads in Tennessee,
Georgia, Alabama, and Arkansas.

At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Mr. Pickett was employed
as Chief Engineer on the construction of the Memphis and Ohio
Railroad in Tennessee. He resigned immediately and enlisted in the
Confederate Army. He raised a company of civil engineers and received
a commission as its Captain from the Governor of Tennessee. Shortly
afterward, he was transferred to the staif of Major-General Pillow
and designed and constructed a number of water batteries along the
Mississippi River. While serving as Engineer Aide to General Leonidas
Polk, Captain Pickett was requested by General Polk to accompany
him to Columbus, Ky., to witness the test of a new gun. On the first
discharge, the gun burst, killing a number of the men who served it,
the concussion hurling both General Polk and Captain Pickett through
the air. Although he escaped with his life, Captain Pickett's hearing
was permanently impaired by the shock. He was afterward transferred
to the staff of Major-General Hardee as Military Engineer, and took
part in the battles of Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro, and Missionary
Ridge, as well as the engagements around Atlanta.

When General Hardee was transferred to a new Department, with
headquarters at Charleston, S. C, Captain Pickett went with him,

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society
Headquarters.



1672 MEMOIR OF WILLIAM DOUGLAS PICTKETT

^nd was actively engaged in the siege of Savannah, the evacuation
of Charleston and Fort Sumter, and the march of Hardee'a Army
to a junction with that of General Johnston, and, on the surrender
of the latter, in April, 1865, Captain Pickett was paroled as Colonel
and Inspector General of Hardee's Division.

After a venture in cotton planting, unsuccessful on account of
floods in Yazoo Pass, Colonel Pickett resumed the practice of his
profession, and, as Chief Engineer, rebuilt the bridges and recon-
structed the roadbed for the Memphis and Ohio Railroad Company,
now a part of the Louisville and IN'ashville System.

On April 27th, 1870, Colonel Pickett was married to Miso Theodosia
Curd, of Lexington, Ky., who died a year later, leaving a son who
survived her only four years.

After the deaths of his wife and little son. Colonel Pickett went
West in 1873, and after several years spent in prospecting and fighting
Indians over the territory now embraced in the Yellowstone Reserva-
tion, he established himself on a cattle ranch in the Big Horn Country,
in Wyoming, and became widely known as a successful hunter of the
grizzly bear. When this region became populated and prosperou^s. Col-
onel Pickett represented his district for several terms in the State
Legislature of Wyoming, first as Representative and afterward as
Senator.

In 1904, he returned to Kentucky and purchased a home in Lex-
ington, where he lived until his death on March 5th, 1917, in his
ninetieth year. Knowing the hopelessness of his case, he met his
•end like a soldier, calmly and unflinchingly, his last days being dis-
turbed only by the thought of leaving his invalid brother, Major George
Blackwell Pickett, who survives him.

A life-long friend. Judge George B. Kinkead, of Lexington, Ky.,
writes of Colonel Pickett as follows:

"Few knew him intimately, but to many the tall, alert figure of this
handsome old gentleman, democratic in his feelings, but displaying
the patrician in every lineament, was familiar. In every walk of life,
his most striking and distinguishing characteristic was a prompt recog-
nition of every duty imposed, and an unfaltering courage to discharge it.
One who lived close to him for years, but a few days since remarked
to the writer, 'He was the best neighbor I ever knew.' "

Colonel Pickett was a member of the Boone and Crockett Club, and
the Confederate Veterans' Association. He was also a member of
Christ Church Cathedral, from which his funeral was held on March
7th, 1917.

He was the oldest living member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers and although not present at the meeting of !N'ovember 5th,
1852, when the Society was organized, he was elected a Member on
July Gth, 1853, and therefore might be classed as a Charter Member.



MEMOIR OF WILLIAM DOUGLAS PICKETT 1673

Throughout his long membership, he took a lively interest in the
welfare and prosperity of the Society and on all occasions proudly
displayed his badge. In 1908, Colonel Pickett, then in his eighty-first
year, contributed a discussion on the paper by H. M. Chittenden,
M. Am. Soc. C. E., entitled "Forests and Reservoirs in Their Relation
to Stream Flow with Particular Reference to Navigable Rivers"*, and
also a paper entitled "The Floods of the Mississippi Delta: Their
Causes, and Suggestions as to Their Control". f In 1911, Colonel
Pickett attended the Annual Convention of the Society, which was
held that year at Chattanooga, Tenn.

Colonel Pickett was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on July 6th, 1853, and an Honorary Member on
April 1st, 1914.

* Transactions, Am. Soc. C. E., Vol. LXII, p. 423.
t Transactions, Am. Soc. C. E., Vol. LXIII, p. 53



1674 MEMOIR OF JOHN FERRIS ALDEN

JOHN FERRIS ALDEN, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died February 27th, 1917.



John Ferris Alden, the son of Sidney and Harriet Webster Alden,
and a direct descendant in the eighth generation of John Alden, of
Plymouth, Mass., was born at Cohoes, N. Y., on March 19th, 1852.
He was educated in private schools in Albany, N. Y., and at Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute, from which he was graduated with honors, in
June, 1872, with the degree of Civil Engineer.

Mr. Alden did his first engineering work as Assistant Engineer on
the construction of the railroad bridge to carry the tracks of the IS^ew
York Central Railroad over the Hudson River at Albany, N. Y.,
under Mr. Charles Hilton as Chief Engineer.

In January, 1875, Mr. Alden accepted a position as Assistant
Engineer at the Leighton Bridge and Iron Works at Rochester, N. Y.
In 1877, he was made Chief Engineer and, in 1878, became a member
of the firm. On Jtdy 1st, 1881, with the late Moritz Lassig, M. Am.
Soc. C. E., as partner, he leased the Leighton Bridge and Iron Works
and continued the business in Rochester under the name of Alden and
Lassig and that in Chicago, HI., under the name of Lassig and Alden.

In January, 1886, the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Alden pur-
chased the business interests of the firm in Rochester, Mr. Lassig
retaining those in Chicago. Mr. Alden then re-organized his business
under the name of the Rochester Bridge and Iron Works of which he
continued as sole owner until 1901 when he sold out to the American
Bridge Company. He retained an interest in the Company, however,
until his death.

During his active connection with the Rochester Bridge and Iron
Works, Mr. Alden built many steel and iron bridges, especially for
railroads, throughout the United States and Canada. Among these
may be mentioned the Elevated Railroad in New York City; bridges
for the Delaware and Hudson Railroad, the Chicago, Milwaukee and
St. Paul Railroad, and the Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh Rail-
road; the bridge over the Columbia River at Pasco, Wash.; the via-
ducts at Los Angeles, Cal. ; the Upper Suspension Bridge at Niagara
Falls; and the Driving Park Avenue Bridge at Rochester, N. Y. He
also constructed the tower and elevator in the House of Parliament,
at Ottawa, Ont., Canada, as well as many buildings in New York.
Chicago, and other cities, and furnished most of the iron and steel
work for the buildings of the Columbian Exposition, at Chicago, 111.

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from iuformation on file at the Society
Headquarters.



MEMOIE OF JOHX FEREIS ALDEN 16 T 5

Mr. Alden was married, in 1885, to Miss Mary E. Bogue, of Brook-
lyn, N". Y., who, with two sobs and three daughters, survives him.

At the time of his death which occurred at his home at Rochester,
N. Y., on February 27th, 1917, after a brief illness, Mr. Alden was
President of the Locke Insulator Manufacturing Company and a
Director of the Genesee Valley Trust Company. He was also a mem-
ber of the Rensselaer Society of Civil Engineers, the Rochester
Chamber of Commerce, the Alden Kindred of America, the Sons of the
Mayflower, the Genesee Yalley Club, and the Rochester Club. He was
Vice-President of the Board of Trustees of the Friendly Home, and
was actively interested in the erection of its new home. He was also
a Vestryman and prominent member of Christ (Protestant Episcopal)
Church.

Mr. Alden was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on July 6th, 1887.



1676 MEMOIE OF THOMAS APPLETON

THOMAS APPLETON, M. Aui. Soc. C. E.=*



Died August 3d, 1916.



Thomas Appleton, the son of Edward and Frances Anne Atkinson
Appleton, was born, at Reading, Mass., on October 13th, 1846. He
was of Colonial ancestry, his father's family having settled in Ipswich,
Mass., in 1635. His mother was a descendant of Simon Bradstreet, an
early Colonial Governor of Massachusetts and New Hampshire, and
Anne Dudley.

Mr. Appleton's father, Edward Appleton, was a Civil Engineer,
having been graduated from Harvard College in the Class of 1835,
and a member of the first Board of Railroad Commissioners of
Massachusetts. In 1862, after completing his studies in the public
schools of Reading, Thomas Appleton entered the employ of the
Boston, Hartford and Erie Railroad as Rodman, continuing with this
Company until he enlisted, for the Civil War, in Company E, Eighth
Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, from which he was honorably dis-
charged in November, 1864.

In 1865, Mr. Appleton entered Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
from which he was graduated with the Class of 1868 with the degree of
Civil Engineer. Among his classmates at Rensselaer were M. T.
Endicott, Past-President, Am. Soc. C. E., and the late Virgil G.
Bogue, L. L. Buck, and O. E. Nichols, Members, Am. Soc. C. E.

After his graduation, Mr. Appleton was appointed Resident Engi-
neer with the Dexter and Newport Railroad Company, on construction
work in Maine, and, in 1869, he was made Division Engineer on the
Somerset Railroad. In 1870, he was appointed Engineer in charge of
the reconstruction of the Troy and Greenfield Railroad (now a part
of the Fitchburg Division of the Boston and Maine System) east of
the Hoosac Tunnel, in Massachusetts. Recently, the old steel work
on this line was replaced to accommodate the heavier loads and train
movements of these days, but the abutments of the two bridges across
the Deerfield River, constructed imder Mr. Appleton's direction, were
not disturbed or strengthened.

On the completion of this work, in 1871, Mr. Appleton was ap-
pointed Chief Engineer of the Essex Branch and Marginal Freight
Railroads in Massachusetts, and, in 1872, he was made Principal
Assistant Engineer of the Boston and Maine Railroad.

From 1873 to 1879, he was engaged on surveys for several railroads,
and acted as Inspector of Bridges for the City of Boston and also as
Traveling Agent for the Niagara Bridge Works, of Buffalo, N. Y.

In 1880, Mr. Appleton was made Superintendent of Bridges and
Buildings for the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society
Headquarters.



MEMOIK OF THOMAS APPLETON" 1677

(now a part of the Southern Pacific System in Texas) and, in 1881, he
was engaged in making location surveys in New York and Connecticut
for the New York, Boston, Albany and Schenectady Railroad. He
left the latter work to become Chief Engineer of the Kansas and
Eastern Construction Company and, in this capacity, built the
Leavenworth, Topeka and Southwestern Railroad. In 1883, he was



Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 151 of 167)