American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 154 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 154 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


edition of his "Stresses in Framed Structures."

Professor DuBois had contributed papers on roof trusses, retaining
walls, and the steam engine to the technical journals; he had also
taken part in discussions before the Society on flexure of beams, and
had contributed papers on "The Weights of Bridges"* and on "The
Strength of Columns".t

During 1889-94 he prepared and delivered six lectures entitled
"Science and Faith", "Science and Immortality", "Science and Mir-
acle", etc., which were published in the Century Magazine and other
periodicals. These lectures were marked by originality of thought
and beauty of style, and by the purpose to establish moral truths on
the fundamental principles of mechanics; one of the last products of
his pen was to summarize the conclusions of these lectures in an article
in the Yale Review for July, 1913.

Professor DuBois was a hard worker, a clear and logical writer,
and his books greatly advanced the interests of sound education in
theoretical and applied mechanics. As a teacher, he was most successful,
and especially was he insistent that students should acquire a thorough
knowledge of fundamental principles. His successor. Professor John
C. Tracy, in an obituary notice in the Yale Alumni Weeklij, wrote as
follows :

"A sympathetic interest, a ready wit, and a friendly unconventional
manner won his students from the start. He was a clear and original
thinker, and a keen but sympathetic critic. Breadth of culture and an
unusual power of expression made him a brilliant and inspiring con-
^■ersationalist. Underneath a quiet and undemonstrative exterior, there
v/as a man chivalrous, sympathetic, always thoughtful of others, loyal,
and wholly lovable. Only a few of his closest friends knew how, in
his own quiet unostentatious way, he went about doing good, and to
them he seemed an almost perfect type of Christian gentleman."

Professor DuBois rarely attended engineering meetings, seeming
to feel somewhat awkward outside of the circle of his friends and

* Transactions, Am. Soc. C. E., Vol. XVI (1887), p. 191; Vol. XVIII (1888).
p. 170.

t Transactions, Am. Soc. C. E., Vol. XXVIII (1892), p. 69.



MEMOIR OF AUGUSTUS JAY DUBOIS 1701

students. In his college days he was a good chess player and a member
of the Book and Snake Fraternity, but he took little interest in other
social activities. He made six trips to Europe, for rest and relaxation
during summer vacations, but he never had a Sabbatical year in whole
or in part during his forty years of service as a teacher.

He was married, on June 23d, 18S3, to Miss Adeline Blakesley,
daughter of Arthur Blakesley, of New Haven, Conn. They had no
children, and she survived him only seven months.

Professor DuBois was a member of the American Institute of
Mining Engineers, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and
the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, as well as
several scientific academies and associations.

Augustus Jay DuBois was elected a Junior of the American Society
of Civil Engineers on July 7th, 1875. and a Member on October
5th, 1892.



1703 MEMOIR OF JOHN WALDO ELLIS

JOHN WALDO ELLIS, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died October 30th, 1916.



John Waldo Ellis, son of John and Ame Almira Fisher Ellis, was
born in Woonsocket, E. I., on September 7th, 1845. He was one of
four children, of which three were boys, all noted civil engineers.

Mr. Ellis received his early education at ISTew Hampton Institute,
New Hampton, N. H., and at the age of 19 entered the employ of the
Boston, Hartford and Erie Railroad, then building from Waterbury,
Conn., to Fishkill, N. Y. His advancement was rapid, and he soon
became a Division Engineer on the Troy and Greenfield Eailroad
before the completion of the Hoosac Tunnel. From this road he went
to the Norwich and Worcester Railroad then building, and, in 1869,
came to Woonsocket, R. I., as Chief Engineer of the Providence and
Worcester Railroad, at the same time opening an office for private
practice in that place, which he maintained up to within a few years
of his death.

Mr. Ellis held the position of Chief Engineer of the Providence
and Worcester Railroad, up to the time that road was absorbed by the
New York, Providence and Boston Railroad in 1888. Under his direc-
tion the road was double-tracked, many branch lines were constructed,
the Wilkes-Barre Coal Pier and connection was constructed at Provi-
dence, and many bridges, stations, and terminals were rebuilt. Dur-
ing this same period Mr. Ellis' private practice in Woonsocket was at
its height, and many prominent engineers of the present day received
their first experience in the old Main Street office. The design and
direction of the construction of Nourse Mill, of the Social Manu-
facturing Company, the Alice Mill, of the Woonsocket Rubber Com-
pany, and numerous other industrial plants and enlargements in
Northern Rhode Island, were a part of the activities of this office.

From 1890 to the time of his death, Mr. Ellis was connected
prominently with the various engineering problems of the East. He
was Engineer for the Old Colony Railroad Company in the building
of the Providence Passenger Terminal, and Engineer Inspector of the
Boston and Providence Railroad, from the time of its lease to the Old
Colony Railroad, until his death. His connection with various grade
crossing matters in Massachusetts and Rhode Island included nearly
every important problem that has come up. He was one of the Com-
missioners for the abolishment of the grade crossings in Lowell, Athol,
and Orange, Mass., and was employed as engineering expert by the
Cities of Lynn, Worcester, Cambridge, Fall River, Taunton, Haver-
hill, Readville, and a large number of small towns.

* Memoir prepared by Lester Waldo Tucker. M. Am. Soc. C. E.



MEMOIK OF JOHN WALDO ELLIS 1703

As a Water-Works Expert, Mr. Ellis was among the foremost in
New England, serving as one of the Commissioners in the valuation
of the ISTewburyport and Gloucester Water- Works when these were
taken over by the City. He was also a member of the Commission in
the diversion claims against the City of Pittsfield and the claim of the
Nassau Paper Company against the Metropolitan Water Board.

As a Town and City Engineer, Mr. Ellis was especially active,
serving as Town Engineer of Woonsocket from 1870 to the time it
became a city in 1888. He also served as Engineer for the Town of
Blackstone, and for other surrounding towns, up to the time of the
closing out of his private practice.

As a Hydraulic Engineer, Mr. Ellis was very active, and the
Blackstone and other rivers in Massachusetts and Rhode Island have
many a dam constructed under his direction. The most prominent of
these are the Lonsdale, Ashton, and Wilkinsonville Dams on the
Blackstone; the Slatersville Reservoir Dam and Middle Dam on the
Branch River, and the Georgiaville Dam on the Woonasquatucket, in
Rhode Island.

On March 1st, 1901, Mr. Ellis was elected President of the Provi-
dence Gas Company, and took up the active management of that Cor-
poration, holding the position of President and General Manager to the
time of his death. Under his direction, this Company became one of
the most efficient of the gas companies operating in the East.

Notwithstanding his many engineering engagements and business
connections, Mr. Ellis found time to be a most efficient Director and
Manager in other fields. He was a member of the Board of Directors
of the Industrial Trust Company-, of Providence, and Chairman of
the Board of the Woonsocket Branch of that Company. He was a
Director in the Woonsocket Rubber Company, and many other Cor-
porations. He was also a Trustee of the Woonsocket Institution for
Savings, from 1876 to 1908, and a Trustee of the Woonsocket Hospital
from its founding, in 1890, to the time of his death. Although a
prominent member of many clubs and social organizations, Mr. Ellis
had no connection with any fraternal or secret orders. He was a
member of the Boston Society of Civil Engineers, serving as President
of that Society in 1905. He was also a member of the New England
Water Works Association.

His principal diversion in his leisure was that of driving. From
the time when he established his home in Woonsocket his stable always
contained at least one good blooded trotting horse, and when the roads
were good or the sleighing at its best, Mr. Ellis was to be seen among
the fastest of those on the speedways. He was a member of the
Woonsocket Driving Club, the Roger Williams Driving Club, of
Providence, and the Metropolitan Driving Club, of Boston, and it is



1704 MEMOIE OF JOHN WALDO ELLIS

interesting to note that only three weeks before his death he drove on
the track of the latter Club.

Mr. Ellis was a prominent figure in the political field of Woonsocket
for many years. He served as Alderman from his Ward from 1895
to 1897 and was President of the Board during the last two years of
this service. In 1904, he was elected State Senator from his city and
served on many important Committees.

He was a member of the Board of Trustees of the First Universalist
Church for many years.

Mr. Ellis was a man of such marked ability in any of the fields
into which he entered that he was recognized as an authority on an
unusual range of engineering problems, a public man and a statesman
of great ability, and a business man with keen foresight and tre-
mendous energy. The scope of his talents was wide, and indicated a
breadth of mentality seldom found in one man.

Mr. Ellis was married on May 23d, 1870, to Mary F. Howe, who,
with one son and two daughters, survives him.

He was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil Engi-
neers on July 3d, 1895, and served as a Director from 1904 to 1906,
inclusive.



MEMOIR OF THEODORE NEWEL ELY 1705

THEODORE NEWEL ELY, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died October 28th, 1916.



Theodore Newel Ely was born in Watertown, N. Y., on June 23d,
1846. When he retired from the office of Chief of Motive Power of
the Pennsylvania Railroad System on July 1st, 1911, he had lived
through and participated in the most active period of railroad develop-
ment that the world has ever seen, having begun his railroad career
in 1868.

Mr. Ely was graduated from the Jefferson County (N. Y.) Insti-
tute in 1863, and from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, of Troy,
N. Y., with the degree of Civil Engineer, in the class of 1866.

After his graduation he had an opportunity to enter the United
States Navy, the Navy Department having offered to accept the
Institute's examinations as the equivalent of those at Annapolis and
grant a full cadetship after a year of sea experience ; another offer
was that of a Professorship at Rensselaer. He preferred, however,
active professional work.

After a brief experience in the office of the City Regulator (City
Engineer) of Pittsburgh, Pa., he went to the Fort Pitt Foundry, where
he became associated with Gen. Thomas J. Rodman, the inventor
of the well-known Rodman gun. The Government specifications for
the metal for the guns were very exacting, and Mr. Ely here obtained
his first experience in the investigation on a commercial scale of the
qualities of metals. After the completion of this work, he was engaged
for a short time in coal mining.

In 1868 he entered the Engineer Corps of the Pittsburgh, Fort
Wayne and Chicago Railroad, at Pittsburgh. In July of the same year
he accepted an offer of the position of Assistant Engineer on the Phila-
delphia and Erie Railroad, a part of the Pennsylvania Railroad System.
In 1869, he was made Superintendent of the Middle Division, with
headquarters at Renovo, Pa., and, in 1870, Assistant General Super-
intendent of the road. Some of the features of Mr. Ely's work during
this period were re-alignments of the road, the rebuilding of practically
every bridge on the Philadelphia and Erie, and the building of the
docks and terminals at Erie Harbor, to take care of the road's pros-
pective combined lake and rail traffic. During this period, also, the
first steps were taken in the development of the Pennsylvania Rail-
road standards of materials and designs, and, in connection with Mr.
Frank Thomson, who was Superintendent of the Eastern Division
of the Philadelphia and Erie, he designed and made detailed drawings —
the first issued at any point on the road — for a standard section of

* Memoir prepared by George L. Fowler, Esq., New York City.



1706 MEMOIE OF THEODOEE NEWEL ELY

track. A sample mile of this track established its superiority over
the previous construction, and, with the exception of the weight of
the rail, its general features are still followed. He also conducted, in
connection with Mr. William Robinson, an elaborate series of experi-
ments with electric signals, which were fully developed later.

His duties as Assistant General Superintendent of the Philadelphia
and Erie included the supervision of the Motive Power Department,
of which he took direct charge in 1873, on his appointment as Super-
intendent of Motive Power.

In 1874, Mr. Ely was made Superintendent of Motive Power of
the Pennsylvania Railroad Division, and, in 1882, General Superin-
tendent of Motive Power of all the Lines East of Pittsburgh. His
office in both these positions was at Altoona, Pa. Railroad conditions
during Mr. Ely's administration at Altoona did not call for a radical
change in the types of locomotives or cars, and their development,
therefore, was largely in increasing the efficiency of the types then in
general use by making important modifications and perfecting their
details. He left his imprint on the locomotives of the country by
the simple and clean-cut character of the designs developed at Altoona,
which eliminated the useless and out-of-place ornamentation which
was then a feature of locomotive construction. The same is true with
regard to passenger equipment cars, for the improvement of which
Mr. Ely's good taste was largely responsible. Among the practices
introduced during this period for increasing the efficiency and economy
of operations, the following may be briefly mentioned.

At the time of Mr. Ely's appointment as Superintendent of Motive
Power, the purchase of materials used was not controlled by specifica-
tions of any kind, the brand or reputation of the seller being depended
on as a measure of quality. Recognizing that competitive purchasing
required as its foundation a clear description of the article to be
purchased, Mr. Ely obtained in 1875 permission to establish a Depart-
ment of Tests, both physical and chemical, to dcA'elop the necessary
specifications for the materials to be bought, and to examine the mate-
rials received to insure that they met the requirements of the specifica-
tions. Mr. Ely wisely selected young and ambitious men as the heads of
the two branches of the Test Department, one being John W. Cloud and
the other the late Charles B. Dudley, M. Am. Soc. C. E., and his firm
support of his subordinates was largely responsible for the success of
the new plan, as purchasing on the basis of specifications and tests alone
naturally aroused strong opposition from many manufacturers, par-
ticularly those with established brands. In some cases, however, the
manufacturers themselves were the strongest advocates of the general
use of the specifications. The new Department speedily developed
great value in the investigation of many of the technical questions
which were constantly arising in railroad work, and it has made



MEMOIR OF THEODOEE NEWEL ELY 1707

notable contributions in the line of scientific investigations covering
a wide range of subjects.

Realizing the increasing responsibilities of the Mechanical Depart-
ment, Mr. Ely encouraged the entrance into the service of young men
of technical education, who were given a course of practical training
in the shops under the same rules and regulations as the regular appren-
tices, their subsequent advancement depending on their development
of the necessary qualifications.

The piecework system, which is now used on the whole Pennsyl-
vania System, was introduced during the early part of Mr. Ely's
administration. Another feature was the extensive use of committees
for the study of important questions.

Mr. Ely's encouragement and the assistance given by his organiza-
tion were large factors in the introduction and successful development
of the automatic car coupler, the air brake, and other features of
modern railroad practice.

An important undertaking was the establishment at Altoona, in
1889, of the Juniata Shops for building locomotives. These shops
have been extended from time to time since to keep pace with the
increasing size of modern locomotives, and still build the greater
number of locomotives required by the Company.

Another notable practice established under Mr. Ely's direction was
the pooling of the freight cars of all the lines of the Pennsylvania
Railroad System, so far as repairs were concerned.

Incidents of this period were the active part which Mr. Ely took
in the rebuilding of the road at Johnstown, after the flood in 1889;
his work as a member of the Commission on Safe and Vault Con-
struction, appointed by Act of Congress in 1890, for the purpose of
improving the vault facilities of the Treasury Department; the exhibits
of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at the various International
Expositions — the Centennial, Philadelphia, 1876; Paris, 1889; Colum-
bian, Chicago, 1893 ; as well as the later ones, Louisiana Purchase,
St. Louis, 1904; and Jamestown, 1907 — which were prepared and car-
ried out under his direction.

In 1893, Mr. Ely was appointed Chief of Motive Power of the
Pennsylvania Railroad Lines East and West of Pittsburgh, with office
at Philadelphia. Although in this position his duties were supervisory,
he kept in close touch with the work of development of locomotives
and passenger and freight cars to meet the changing conditions,
both as to traffic and as to materials for car construction. He gave
close study to and took an active part in the consideration of the
questions of policy involved in the increases in the capacities of
locomotives and cars, especially in freight service; the substitution
of steel for wood in the construction of both freight and passenger
cars; and the establishment of the general principles of the designs.



1708 MEMOIR OF THEODORE NEWEL ELY

Other activities during this period were his work as Chairman of
the Rail Committee of the System, charged with the improvement
of the rail used; as a member of various committees of the American
Railway Association; as a member of the Permanent Commission of
the International Railway Congress; as President of the Eastern Rail-
road Association, dealing with patent matters; as a Trustee of the
Philadelphia Commercial Musexim, which is devoted to the develop-
ment of the foreign trade of the United States; and as a member of
the Pennsylvania State Commission on the Chestnut Tree Blight.
He was also a Director, in the interest of the Pennsylvania Railroad,
of the Pennsylvania and Cambria Steel Companies.

Mr. Ely was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers of
Great Britain, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the
American Institute of Mining Engineers, and an Honorary Member
of the American Institute of Architects.

He was also deeply interested in science and art, and took an
active part in many organizations for their advancement, among them
being the American Society for the Advancement of Science, the
American Philosophical Society, the Franklin Institute, the Drexel
Institute, the American Academy in Rome, Italy, of which he was
Vice-President, and the Philadelphia Orchestra Association, of which
he was a Trustee.

Although ill health led to his retirement from active service with
the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1911, it did not entirely deprive him of
participation in the many affairs of life of which he was a part. His
keen analytical and judicial mind, trained and broadened by his studies
and an experience covering almost the entire period of railroad
development, made him a valued adviser in all the activities with
which he came in contact.

Mr. Ely held the degree of Civil Engineer from Rensselaer Poly-
technic Institute, as a graduate, and had conferred on him the hono-
rary degrees of Master of Arts, Yale, 1897, and Doctor of Science,
Hamilton College, 1904.

Among the social organizations with which he was identified were
the Philadelphia and the Merion Cricket Clubs, of Philadelphia; the
University, Century, and Engineers Clubs, of New York City; and
the Metropolitan Club of Washington, D. C. ; the New England
Society of Pennsylvania, and the Sons of the American Revolution.

Mr. Ely is survived by his four children — Mrs. Charles L. Tiffany,
of iSIew York City, the Misses Gertrude and Henrietta Ely, of Bryn
Mawr, Pa., and Carl B. Ely, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E., Superintendent
of the Bridge Department of the Bethlehem Steel Company, Steel-
ton, Pa.

Mr. Ely was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on March 2d, 1881, and served as a Director in 1892-93.



MEMOIR OF RICHARD EVANS 1709

RICHARD EVANS, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died December 30th, 1916.



Richard Evans was born at Caracas, Venezuela, on November 15th.
1855, and, on his father's side, came from the Evans family long estab-
lished in New England. While he was quite young, his parents re-
moved to the United States and settled in Woodbury, N. J. Here he
received his preliminary education before entering the Polytechnic
College of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated with the Class
of 1875.

In 1876, Mr. Evans was employed as Rodman and Levelman on
the location of the Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railroad, and, from
1877 to 1879, he was engaged as Levelman and Transitman on topog-
raphy and revision of lines and grades in the Twenty-third Ward for
the City of Philadelphia. In 1879, he was appointed Transitman, and,
later. Assistant Engineer on the preliminary and location surveys for
the Danville and Shamokin Railroad, in Pennsylvania, and, in 1880,
he was made Assistant Engineer on the location of the Five Mile
Reach Railroad and laying out the Town of Anglesea, N. J. From
July, 1880, to February, 1881, he served as Transitman in the Main-
tenance of Way Department of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

In 1881, Mr. Evans went to Mexico as Transitman and Chief of
Field Party on the location surveys for the Mexican National Railroad,
returning in 1882, to become Assistant Engineer on the New River
Branch of the Norfolk and Western Railroad. In 1883, he was ap-
pointed Assistant Engineer with the Pennsylvania Schuylkill Valley
Railroad Company, on the revision of part of its line. He designed
and made the plans for arch culverts, piers, and bridge abutments on
6 miles of heavy construction, including the Schuylkill River crossing
and viaduct approach.

From 1884 to 1887, Mr. Evans was engaged with the Survey Depart-
ment of the City of Philadelphia on sewer construction in the Manayunk
District and on laying out new streets in the Twenty-second Ward.

In 1887, Mr. Evans went West and was employed as Assistant
Engineer with the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad Company.
Returning to the East in 1888, he was engaged until 1890 in private
practice, making plans, estimates, and superintending the construction
of macadamized and telford roads, highway bridges, etc., in Mont-
gomery County, Pennsylvania. Afterward, he accepted for a short
time a position as Principal Assistant Engineer on the Philadelphia
and Seashore Railroad.

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society
Headquarters.



1710 MEMOIK OF RICHAKD EVANS

In July, 1890, Mr. Evans established himself in private practice
at Hagerstown, Md., in partnership with Mr. C. C. Yandevanter, which
was continued until 1893. He then removed to Jamaica, N. Y., where
he formed a partnership with his brother, Mr. C. A. Evans, and con-
tinued in private practice as a Consulting Engineer .until his death,
which occurred on December 30th, 1916. He was married in Phila-
delphia, Pa., about 1887, but his wife died two years later.

In his work and conduct, which was always above criticism, Mr.
Evans exemplified the best influences of his profession. Realizing his
incompatibility with the prevailing requirements of corporation service
as he saw them, he preferred the private practice of engineering for
which he felt himself better fitted temperamentally. Holding to that
which he considered to be right, his decisions in regard to his work



Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 154 of 167)