American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 155 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 155 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


were made regardless of who was or was not benefited thereby. In
the study of any contemplated project, he always showed that calm-
ness, ease, and continuity of application which distinguish the trained
engineer.

Mr. Evans was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on June 7th, 1893.



MEMOIK OF FRANK FIRMSTONE 1711

FRANK FIRMSTONE, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died June 2Tth, 1917.



Frank Firmstone, the son of William and Mary Elizabeth Firm-
stone, was born on Augaist 29th, 1846, at the Glendon Iron Works, near
Easton, Pa., which his father had built in 1842. He received his early
education at the Old Philips School in Easton. Later, he w^as sent
to the Saunders Military Institute, in Philadelphia, Pa., where he
was prepared for the Polytechnic College of Pennsylvania, and was
graduated from that college as a Mining Engineer in June, 1865.

In November, 1865, Mr. Firmstone was employed as Levelman on
surveys for the Wilmington and Brandywine Railroad, which position
he held imtil March, 1866.

In January, 1867, he became associated with his father, as Assistant
Superintendent, in the management of the Glendon Iron Works,
remaining in this position until May, 1877, when his father died.
Mr. Firmstone then took full charge of the Iron Works as General
Manager, and retained this position until 1887, when he retired from
active business. As Assistant Superintendent and as General Manager
he made the designs and superintended the construction of all new
work at the plant, including blast furnaces, etc., as well as repairs
and alterations.

Subsequent to 1887, he became associated with the Cranberry Iron
and Coal Company, serving for a number of years as its President
and as a Director on the Boards of all its subsidiary companies until
his death, which occurred at his home in Glendon, Pa., on June
27th, 1917.

He is survived by his brother, Mr. Harry Firmstone, of Long-
dale, Va.

Among other societies and clubs Mr. Firmstone was a member
of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, and as such had
contributed to its publications many, interesting and valuable papers
on blast furnace practice and on matters pertaining to the manufac-
ture of pig iron, on which subject he was considered quite an
authority.

He was also a member of the American Society for Testing Mate-
rials, American Forestry Association, Engineers' Club of New York
City, Automobile Club of Philadelphia, Pa., Country Club of North-
ampton County, Pomfret Club of Easton, Pa., Northampton County
Historical and Genealogical Society, and Trinity Protestant (Episco-
pal) Church, of Easton, Pa.

Mr. Firmstone was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on August 7th, 1878.

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society
Headquarters.



1712 MEMOIR OF JAMES WALTER GRIMSHAW

JAMES WALTER GRIMSHAW, M. Am. Soc. C E.*



Died February 15th, 1917.



James Walter Grimshaw was born at Manchester, England, on April
19th, 1852. In 1868, he was sent to Germany where he was a pupil
of Carl Bach, a well-known civil engineer of Stuttgart, until 1870. He
then entered the machine shops of E. Harn, of the same city, where
he served an apprenticeship of one year. In 1871, Mr. Grimshaw
entered the Stuttgart Royal Polytechnic School, from which he was
graduated in Civil Engineering in 1874.

After his graduation, Mr. Grimshaw returned to England, where
he was employed until 1877 in the Engineering Departments of Messrs.
Sharp, Stewart and Company and Messrs. Ormerod, Grierson and
Company, of Manchester. He was also engaged for a short time as
Resident Engineer of the Netham Chemical Works at Bristol.

In 1877, Mr. Grimshaw went to Australia where he spent the
greater part of his professional life. He first entered the service of
the South Australian Government and received the appointment of
Resident Engineer in the Harbors and Jetties Department, where he
remained until 1880. He then entered the service of the Government
of New South Wales, in the Rivers and Harbors Department, his
first position being Resident Engineer of the Sydney Water Supply
Works, in charge of the construction and maintenance of the canals,
tunnels, aqueducts, etc.

About 1890, Mr. Grimshaw made the surveys for the proposed water
supply for the City of Armidale, and supervised the completion and
testing of the steel service reservoir for the Albury water supply.

On the completion of this work, he was appointed Resident Engi-
neer on the Richmond River and Harbor Works, where two break-
waters and a training wall were being constructed. Subsequently,
he was sent to Sydney as Resident Engineer over the works in Sydney
Harbor and the South Coast District. In this position he had charge
of extensive wharf construction and the conversion of Darling Island
into a deep-water shipping depot.

In 1901, Mr. Grimshaw retired from the service of the Govern-
ment of New South Wales and returned to England, where he resided
until his death which occurred at Brighton, on February 15th, 1917.

He was a member of St. Stephen's Club, of London, and of the
Institution of Civil Engineers of Great Britain.

Mr. Grimshaw was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on November 7th, 1888.

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society
Headquarters.



MEMOIR OF WILLIAM OSWALD HENDERER 1713

WILLIAM OSWALD HENDERER, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died February Sth, 1917.



William Oswald Henderer, the son of Myers Henderer and Euretta
Curtis Henderer, was born on May lltli, 1865, in Greenbush, now
known as Rensselaer, Rensselaer County, IST. Y. He received his early
education in the district schools of Schodack Landing and Castleton,
in Rensselaer County, and in the grammar and high schools of
Albany, N. Y. His technical training was received at Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N. Y., where he was a member of the
Class of 1SS7.

From June, 1887, to January, 1888, Mr. Henderer served as an
Assistant in the office of the City Engineer, of Troy. During the
spring and summer of 1888 he worked on a preliminary survey through
Northern Ohio for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.

From May, 1888, until April, 1891, he was with G. W. G. Ferris
and Company, of Pittsburgh, Pa., as Shop Inspector on bridge, rail-
road, and viaduct steelwork, and it was here that he became acquainted
with Frank C. Osborn, M. Am. Soc. C. E., with whom, later, he was
associated.

From April to November, 1891, Mr. Henderer was Draftsman and
Assistant Engineer for the Detroit Bridge and Iron Works, and from
November, 1891, to March, 1893, he served in a similar capacity with
the Berlin Iron Bridge Company, of East Berlin, Conn.

In March, 1893, he went to Cleveland, Ohio, to be with Mr. Osborn,
in charge of inspection and tests. From December, 1897, to Jime,
1900, as a member of the Osborn Company, Civil Engineers, he was
in charge of structural design, inspection, and general office work.
During this period, the Brooklyn-Brighton Viaduct and the South
Rocky River Viaduct, in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, and the Zanesville
Y-Bridge, in Zanesville, Ohio, were among the larger and more inter-
esting works handled by the Company.

In June, 1900, The Osborn Engineering Company was incorpo-
rated, and Mr. Henderer became its first Vice-President. This posi-
tion he held until the summer of 1910, at which time Mr. Osborn
retired from active charge of the company, and Mr. Henderer became
President.

In recent years, the Boston, New York, Cleveland, Washington, and
Detroit baseball parks, and the factory buildings for the Firestone Tire
and Rubber Company and The B. F. Goodrich Company, have been
included among the more important structures designed by the Com-
pany^

* Memoir prepared by Kenneth H. Osborn, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.



1714 MEMOIE OF WILLIAM OSWALD HEXDERER

Mr. Henderer continued as President of the Company nntil his
death, on February 8th, 1917, at Miami, Fla. He had been absent from
Cleveland only about 10 days on a fishing trip, when he was seized by
a sudden attack of peritonitis. He was taken to a hospital in Miami,
but lived only a few days after the attack.

Mr. Henderer was married on June 21st, 1893, to Ida F. Mayer, of
Cleveland, and had one daughter, Geraldine.

He was an active member of the Cleveland Engineering Society,
and had served as President of that organization. He was also a mem-
ber of the American Society for the Promotion of Engineering Educa-
tion, the Cleveland Athletic Club, the Shaker Heights Country Club,
and the Chippewa Lake Club. He was deeply interested in the Masonic
organizations of Cleveland, and was very active in all those of which
he was a member.

Mr. Henderer was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on April 3d, 1901.



MEMOIR OF ARTHUR HIDER 1715

ARTHUR HIDER, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died July 28th, 1916.



Arthur Hider was born in London, England, on February 29th,
1844, and died at his home in Greenville, Miss., on July 28th, 1916.
He was the son of James and Maria (Dear) Hider. In 1853, when he
was nine years of age, his family moved from England to London,
Ont., Canada. He received his early education in the schools of the
latter place and afterward taught school there for a while. In 1864,
at the age of twenty, he went to Cleveland, Ohio, where he began the
study of engineering, as a private pupil, under Peter Emslie, a civil
engineer, with whom he spent about one year.

In 1866, Mr. Hider was employed as a Draftsman by George Steuly,
City Engineer of Louisville, Ky., and, after one year's service in that
position, was appointed Assistant City Engineer and given charge of
the public works in one-half of the city. After the death of Mr. Steuly,
in 1869, Mr. Hider was continued in the same position under the late
I. M. St. John, M. Am. Soc. C. E., who succeeded Mr. Steuly as City
Engineer, until 1871, when the late Thomas P. Shanks, M. Am. Soc.
C. E., became City Engineer. Mr. Hider was then appointed Principal
Assistant City Engineer, and given charge of all improvements made
by the city, except in the Sewer Department. He continued to serve
in this position until some time in 1876, when Mr. Shanks was retired
from office, and he, as the Principal Assistant, along with him.

From 1876 to the early part of 1879, Mr. Hider was engaged with
his former Chief, Mr. Shanks, in engineering and contracting work,
during which time they constructed a reservoir at Anchorage, Ky.,
and, for about one year, were engaged on masonry work at the new
reservoir at Louisville, Ky., both of which were under the supervision
of the late Charles Hermany, Past-President, Am. Soc. C. E., Chief
Engineer of the Louisville Water-Works.

Mr. Hider entered the Government service in 1879, and, for a short
time, was employed under Charles R. Suter, M. Am. Soc. C. E., Major,
Corps of Engineers, U. S. Army (now Brigadier-General, Retired), in
making hydrographic surveys and physical observations on the Missis-
sippi River, near Arkansas City, Ark. Maj. Suter was appointed a
member of the Mississippi River Commission, which body was created
by Act of Congress, dated June 28th, 1879, and Mr. Hider was assigned
to duty under Lieut. Smith S. Leach, Corps of Engineers, the Secre-
tary of that Commission. From October, 1879, to November, 1880, he
was engaged in making hydrographic surveys and collecting physical
data on the river near Lake Providence, La., and, later, had charge of

* Memoir prepared by Charles H. West, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



1716 MEMOIR OF ARTHUR HIDER

a party taking slope observations along the river between Cairo, 111.,
and New Orleans, La.

The Commission was now ready to begin construction, and, in
September, 1881, Mr. Hider was assigned to duty as one of the As-
sistant Engineers in the Third Mississippi River District, extending
from the White River to a few miles below the mouth of the Yazoo
River. The Engineer Officer in charge of the district was Lieut.
W. L. Marshall, who, later, became Chief of Engineers, U. S. Army.
During the few years that Mr. Hider served under this officer, they
learned to regard each other highly, and there ever after existed a
friendly feeling between them.

At the time when Mr. Hider entered the Government service under
the Mississippi River Commission, very few reliable data were avail-
able as to the regimen of the Mississippi, and few, if any, precedents
of practical value as guides in a project of such character and magni-
tude as that which had been assigned to the Commission. His first
service was in connection with surveys and observations to collect data
necessary for a study and development of plans for the improvement
of the river, but when it was decided to begin construction, he was
transferred to that work, and soon became the Principal Assistant
Engineer in charge of all revetment and other work of channel im-
provement in the Third Mississippi River District, serving continuously
in that position until his death.

The first works of construction were necessarily experimental in
type, as were also the various kinds of plant needed for carrying on
the work. Mr. Hider was intimately connected with each sten in the
development of suitable types of construction, and also had much to
do with the design and construction of towboats, hydraulic graders,
and the various other items of plant required for the work in the
Third District. He took great interest in the development of plans
for the improvement and control of the river, and no small share of
credit for successful work is due to his faithful, untiring, and patient
attention to the duties of his position. He came to be regarded as an
authority on bank revetment and other channel works, and his counsel
in such matters always had weight.

Mr. Hider was connected with levee construction only in a limited
way, but he was a close observer of what was going on in that line, and
had very clear views in regard to that work.

In addition to his work under the Mississippi River Commission,
he, occasionally, while on leave of absence and during spare time,
served as Consulting Engineer in connection with municipal improve-
ments, some of which were the design and construction of water-works
systems at Greenville, Miss., Lake Providence, La., and other places;
he was expert member of the Committee to determine the value of the
water-works system of Memphis, Tenn., when that system was taken
over by the City of Memphis.



MEMOIR OF ARTHUR HIDER ITIT

Mr. Hider enjoyed remarkably good health until the last three
years of his life. During the spring of 1913, while temporarily in
charge of the work of closing the crevasse in the levee near Beulah,
Miss., he was exposed to very inclement weather, with the result that
he was taken seriously ill and never after entirely regained his health.
He was unable to attend to active duties for more than a year prior
to his death, but he continued to go to the office and, except during the
last few weeks, he could be found at his desk every day when he was
strong enough to leave home.

Mr. Hider was indeed a veteran of the Engineer Service of the
Mississippi River. There being no provision in law for the retirement
of civilian engineers in the service of the Government, he, like many
others, remained on duty until advanced in age and literally worn out.

He lived to see nearly all the Engineer Officers under whom he had
served in the early days on the river retired with high rank, and, as
these men were near his own age and counted among his friends, he
was always pleased to hear of any good fortune that came to any
of them.

In later times, it was his province to serve under District Officers
who were many years younger than himself, and to each of these he
gave loyal assistance. They, in turn, recognized his ability and ripe
experience, and his candid manner and earnest attention to duty never
failed to win their confidence and esteem.

He was a good organizer, and believed in strict discipline. He
recognized authority in those above him, and demanded obedience to
orders from those under him. He was highly respected by his sub-
ordinates, and, though they dreaded his displeasure, they delighted in
his approval, for he was just in his dealings with them and ever
ready to give credit where it was due. It was a pleasure to him to
advise and other-wise help along young engineers who appeared to be
earnest and appreciative of his guidance.

Mr. Hider took an active interest in the civic affairs of the com-
munity in which he lived. There was no pretense and very little
diplomacy in his nature, and he was outspoken in his opinions. He
was well informed on many subjects other than his profession, and had
a fine appreciation of music and art.

Mr. Hider was a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and
though not outwardly a devout churchman, he had deep religious con-
victions. He loved the quietude of his home life, and was a devoted
husband and kind father, and although he seemingly cared but little
for social life iix general, he was fond of the companionship of his
friends.

He was married in Louisville, Ky., on October 6th, 1873, to Emma
K. Anderson, who, with two daughters and three sons, survives him.

Mr. Hider was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on September 7th, 1881.



1718 MEMOIR OF SIDNEY WILLETT HOAG, JR.

SIDNEY WILLETT HOAG, Jr., M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died November 1st, 1916.



Sidney Willett Hoag, Jr., son of Sidney Willett and Ann Augusta
Hoag, was born in New York City, on June 5th, 1857. He received his
preliminary education in the public schools and was admitted to the
College of the City of New York in 1872 as a student in the scientific
course, from which he was graduated in June, 1S77. From 1877 to 1879,
he pursued the post-graduate course in Civil Engineering in the same
college under the late Professor A. G. Compton, Assoc. Am. Soc. C. E.,
and was graduated with the certificate of Civil Engineer.

In 1879, after leaving college, Mr. Hoag went with the New York
City and Northern Railroad, being first engaged on trestle construction.
Subsequently, during construction, he had charge of the distribution
of materials and supplies, and later was engaged in the construction
of roadbed, turn-tables, and depots, from Croton Lake to Lake Mahopac.

In 1880 he entered the service of the City of New York, being
engaged in the Department of Public Parks as an Assistant Engineer.
His efforts in the Park Department were directed toward the public
improvement of the annexed district. He had charge of various classes
of engineering work under the jurisdiction of the Park Department,
including surveys, laying out of streets, monumenting, preparation
of tax maps, rule, damage, and benefit maps, and work of. general
construction involving regulating and grading, and, in addition, he
directed the work of the various field parties.

In 1891, Mr. Hoag was appointed an Assistant Engineer in the
Department of Docks and Ferries, and was assigned by George S.
Greene, Jr., M. Am. Soc. C. E., then Engineer in Chief, as head of
the drafting-room. In this position, Mr. Hoag directed the preparation
of plans and specifications for various works of construction, under-
taken by the Department along the water-front, such as piers, bulk-
heads, freight sheds, and freight and passenger terminals, and the
approval of structural features of all plans submitted by private owners
and lessees for all kinds of wharf structures.

In 1908, Mr. Hoag was appointed Deputy Chief Engineer of the
Department under Charles W. Staniford, M. Am. Soc. C. E., Chief
Engineer. During his incumbency as Deputy Chief Engineer, the
Department of Docks carried out many important works of construc-
tion, involving piers, bulkhead walls, freight sheds, and ferry terminals.
Some notable pieces of construction on which Mr. Hoag was engaged
are the municipal ferry terminal at St. George, Staten Island, the
municipal ferry buildings at the Battery, known as the Manhattan

• Memoir prepared by Charles W. Staniford. M. Am. Soc. C. E.



MEMOIR OF SIDNEY WILLETT HOAG, JR. 1719

Terminal of the South Bi-ooklyn Ferry, the Whitehall Terminal of the
Staten Island Ferry, and also the viaduct approach to the St. George
Ferry, at St. George. The most conspicuous and important under-
taking by the Department of Docks during this period was the con-
struction of the great transatlantic steamship terminal popularly
termed the Chelsea Section. This is on the North River water-front,
and covers the section from West 14th to West 23d Streets. It involved
the construction of nine piers, with freight sheds thereon, and putting
in heat, light, and power equipment for operating purposes. This
section represents an expenditure of many millions of dollars, and the
accommodation it affords for large transatlantic liners is not equalled
anywhere in the world.

This large undertaking by the Department involved an enormous
amount of detail work in connection with the preparation of plans and
specifications, and the examination and approval of plans submitted
by contractors during construction.

The successful completion of the Chelsea Section demonstrated Mr.
Hoag's capacity for hard work, and his great attention to detail
enabled the Department to carry out successfully many large under-
takings involving extreme detail in steel construction and intricate
problems in connection with heat, light, and power equipment. Mr.
Hoag was a loyal assistant, conscientious in everything he did, and,
above all, a man of sturdy integrity. His work was his hobby.

He never had any interest outside of his professional work, and
was held in high esteem by the fellow members of his Profession.

In March, 1904, he became a member of the Society of Municipal
Engineers of the City of New York, and at once took an active interest
in its affairs. He was rewarded with honors for his labors, being elected
Second Vice-President in 1910; First Vice-President in 1911, and
President of the Society in 1912. He continued his interest in the
Society, being on the Board of Directors as Past-President, at the
time of his death.

In 1905, Mr. Hoag delivered, before the Municipal Engineers, a
very interesting paper entitled "The Dock Department and the New
York Docks." The paper dealt with the history of the Dock Depart-
ment and its work, and contained considerable detailed data relative
to water-front construction. It had a wide distribution, and was
considered the most meritorious paper of the year. For this Mr.
Hoag received the Society medal in recognition of his achievement. .

In 1914, his health failed, and he was compelled by his physical
condition to give up active work. He retired from the Department
of Docks on a pension after 35 years in the service of the City.

After about a year's rest, he regained some of his strength and
joined B. F. Cresson. Jr., M. Am. Soc. C. E., assisting the latter in
the preparation of plans and specifications for the construction of



1730 MEMOIR OF SIDNEY WILLETT HOAG, JR.

an extensive water-front and railroad terminal development at Bayonne,
N. J. He was associated with Mr. Cresson up to the time of his death.

System, the love of detail, and the habit of accumulating interesting
data pertaining to his Profession, were some of Mr. Hoag's personal
characteristics. He was a thorough, painstaking, and conscientious
worker, and the bigger the job, the happier it made him. Although,
in his younger days, he was fond of athletics and had joined the
New York Athletic Club, engaging in running races, his whole time,
during his later years, was given to the work of his Profession. He
was a capable executive, had a frank, genial personality, a high code
of honor, and won the admiration of those who knew him.

Mr. Hoag was a member of the New York Athletic Club, the
Municipal Engineers of the City of New York, and the Royal Arcanum.

Mr. Hoag was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on September 2d, 1885. He served as a member of the
Nominating Committee in 1913-14.



MEMOIR OF CHAELES WILCOX HOTCHKISS 1721

CHARLES WILCOX HOTCHKISS, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died October 28th, 1916.



Charles Wilcox Hotchkiss, the son of Edgar F. and Caroline Enos
Hotchkiss, was born at Unadilla Forks, N. Y., on June 19th, 1863.

Mr. Hotchkiss began his engineering career as a Rodman on the
New York, West Shore, and Buffalo Railroad, when he was 20 years
old. He left that position after a short time to enter the employ of



Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 155 of 167)