American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 157 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 157 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In 1884 Mr. King was appointed City Engineer of Fort Worth,
serving until 1889, when he was appointed City Engineer of Waco,
serving until 1891. During his incumbency of these two offices he
planned street and sewerage systems that were basic for both munici-
palities.

After completing his work at Waco, Mr. King was called to the
Chief Engineership of the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway, now
a part of the Frisco System. Later, he was elected Vice-President and
General Manager of the Frisco System in Texas, which position he
filled with distinction until Armour and Swift established their great
packeries and stockyards in Fort Worth, in 1902, when he was made
President of the Fort Worth Belt Railway, and Vice-President and
General Manager of the "Armour- Smft" Stockyards.

For several years Mr. King was a sufferer from arterio-sclerosis,
and in 1915 was retired, with consultation duties only, on full salary.
For perhaps two years before this he had suffered from the insomnia
characteristic of his malady to the extent that 10 or 12 hours' sleep
a week was his gauge of rest. In spite of this, he was regularly at his
desk, the suave, courteous, directing head of the busiest cattlemart of
the Southwest.

In addition to his other engagements, he found time during 1913
to act as a member of the Board of Engineers in charge of Fort Worth's
new water supply. His work on that Board helped to bring to light
and eradicate one of the most insidious pieces of municipal graft ever
known in the South.



* Memoir prepared by John B. Hawley, M. Aic. Soc. C. E.



1734 MEMOIK OF WILLIAM BYRD KING

During several of the quite strenuous Board meetings on this matter^
he was obliged to retire to his physician's office and submit to copious
bleeding, in order to keep his blood pressure within living bounds.
Little things like letting out part of his heart's blood in order to stand
the strain of serving the public did not seem to "cut any figure".

The writer knew "Byrd" King, with increasing intimacy, from 1891
until his death. He was the kind of man we all want really to have
as a friend. An Engineer of the Tredgold type. A typical Southern
gentleman? No. Byrd King's courtly manners marked him as the
son of many generations of Virginia Cavaliers, but his gentleness
went far beyond any qualification as to South or North : his innate,
never spoken, but always to be depended on, rule of action was,
nohlesse oblige.

William Byrd King was a world gentleman.

Mr. King was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on October 7th, 1896.



MEMOIR OF EUGENE CASTNER LEWIS 1735

EUGENE CASTNER LEWIS, M. Am. Soe. C. E.*



Died February 13th, 1917.



On the left bank of the Cumberland River, about eight miles above
Dover, the county seat of Stewart County, Tennessee, there may still
be seen the ruins of the once famous Cumberland Iron Works, which
were destroyed by the Federal Army after the capture of Fort Donel-
son, on February 16th, 1862.

In 1830, two brothers, John and Samuel Stacker, came from Penn-
sylvania to Tennessee, and in beginning this enteri^rise became the
fomiders of the iron industry in this section of the State. With them
came George T. Lewis, then a lad sixteen years of age. Thirty-two
years later, this property had developed into a great domain of more
than 60 000 acres, from which were obtained the ore, limestone, and
charcoal used in its furnaces. The Hon. John Bell, James Woods,
and the Yeatmans had become interested, and George T. Lewis was
(jeneral Manager of the works and the affairs of the partnership. The
chief product of the foundry was the massive iron kettles used in the
manufacture of sugar in the Southern States and abroad. The fur-
naces supplied the charcoal, pig iron, and blooms used in the foundry
and rolling mill, the surplus being sold on the market. The product
of the rolling mill was bar iron of exceptionally high quality. About
500 slaves and many employed men supplied the labor.

Mr. George Thomas Lewis, the efficient Manager of this great prop-
erty, and his wife, who was Miss Margaretta Barnes, of Philadelphia,
Pa., were the parents of six children, all born at their home at the
Cumberland Iron Works. The fourth child, born June 22d, 1845, was
Eugene Castner Lewis, the subject of this memoir.

Born and reared in the very midst of organized and productive
labor, the young lad inhaled with the air that he breathed the instinct
and inspiration that abided with him through all the stirring years of
his life. His motives and purposes were ever for production and con-
struction; never for the reverse.

At his father's home, and at a private school in the neighborhood,
he learned the rudiments of education. This was followed by a course
at Stewart College, in Clarksville. Then came the four years of war
between the States. Fort Donelson, only nilie miles from his home,
was the scene of fierce fighting and final capture. The gunboats came
up the river, and his father, bound and taken as a prisoner on one of
them, was forced to face and witness the destruction of the plant, the
work of his lifetime. Thrilled with anger and indignation, the lad,

* Memoir prepared by the following Committee : Wilbur F. Foster. Hunter
McDonald, John Howe Peyton, and Richard Montfort, Members, Am. Soc. C. E.



1736 MEMOIR OF EUCxENE CASTNER LEWIS

Eugene, was so unguarded in liis talk, so eager to help the Con-
federates, that he was threatened with imprisonment. This, however,
was waived on condition that he be sent out of the State; and thus it
was that Eugene became a student at the Pennsylvania Military
Academy, then at West Chester, Pa., from which he was graduated
with the Class of 1865 as one of ten, most proficient in mathematics
and kindred studies. Here, also, he acquired a title, due perhaps to
his proficiency, popularity, or characteristic leadership, a title that
stayed with him to the end of his days, and for more than fifty years
he was only and always known as "Major Lewis." No other title
seemed to fit.

With very brief delay after his graduation from the Military
Academy, Major Lewis began his professional career, in October, 1865,
in the service of the Memphis, Clarksville, and Louisville Railroad,
as Assistant Engineer, with the late William D. Pickett, Hon. M. Am.
Soc. C. E.

In May, 1866, he entered the service of the Louisville and Nash-
ville Railroad, as Assistant with the late Rudolph Fink, M. Am. Soc.
C. E., in the Road and Engineering Department, and, from October,
3S69, until November, 1870, he was in charge of the construction of the
Glasgow Branch of that road.

He was then engaged in making surveys for three projected lines
of railroad in Western Tennessee and Northern Mississippi until July,
1871, when he was placed in charge of the construction of the road
which is now the Owensboro and Russellville Division of the Louisville
and Nashville Railroad.

On completion of this service. Major Lewns withdrew from strictly
professional engagements as a Civil Engineer; and, yet, in the mul-
tifarious affairs of his active life, his education for the Profession,
together with his native talent, experience, and close study of engi-
neering work, constituted a most important factor in his equipment
for the conception, organization, and successful accomplishment of
the many notable achievements in which his skill and training as a
Civil Engineer were in constant service.

As the business member of the firm of W. B. Read and Company.
Major Lewis was engaged, in 1873-74, in the execution of a contract
for the construction of certain sections of very heavy work in Ken-
tucky, on the railroad which is now a part of the Queen and Crescent
System.

Through the large purchase of explosives used on this work, Major
Lewis became favorably known to the Dupont Powder Company. This
led to the acquaintance and personal friendship of its owTiers, and to
his appointment as their agent for the sale of the product of their
subsidiary mills at Sycamore, in Cheatham County, Tennessee, and.



MEMOIR OF EUGENE CASTNER LEWIS 1737

later, to his entire control and management of that property, until, in
1904. manufacture at that plant ceased, and the mills were dismantled.

Sycamore Mills was the business headquarters and residence of
Major Lewis from 1875 to 1897, and, during the summer, until 1907.
The memory of his public spirit and usefulness is cherished and
honored in that commimity. where the many improvements in high-
ways, bridges, and other details still bear testimony to his skill, energy,
and good judgment. It was in the reconstruction of one of these
bridges that the accident occurred which finally cost him his life.

It was during the period of his engagement in this enterprise that
Major Lewis was married, on October 12th, 1880, to Miss Pauline
Dunn, of JSTashville, Tenn., and, at their home at Sycamore, seven
children were born, all of whom are living. Mrs. Lewis died at Nash-
ville, on January 14th, 1902.

In the executive department of railways. Major Lewis served with
great ability and success : On December 8th, 1896. he was elected a
member of the Board of Directors by the Stockholders of the Nash-
ville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway, and served faithfully and
efficiently in that capacity until his death. He was Chairman of the
Executive Committee from December 14th, 1898, to October 13th,
1914, and was "Chairman of the Board" from February 28th, 1906,
until his death. Twice the duties of Acting President were added to
his other service; first, from February l7th to February 28th, 1906;
and, again, from December 19th, 1913, to April 1st, 1914.

For more than 30 years. Major Lewis possessed the friendship and
confidence of the chief officials of the Louisville and Nashville Rail-
road System, and by them was entrusted with the care of its interests
in many matters of importance, especially in its affairs, and the de-
velopment of its facilities in Tennessee. An important item in this
service was the following:

"The Louisville and Nashville Terminal Company" was chartered
on March 22d, and organized on March 28th, 1893, for the purpose of
perfecting joint terminal facilities for the use of the Nashville, Chat-
tanooga, and St. Louis Railway, and the Louisville and Nashville
Railroad, and the erection of the necessary buildings required for the
joint or separate use of those roads.

The steps preliminary to the purposes of this charter were all
under the personal direction of Major Lewis, and extended over a
period of several years, required for the purchase of the necessary real
estate. Major Lewis was made President of the Company, on March
2d, 1898, and served in that office until November 27th, 1905. In that
capacity, he had responsible control of every detail, including the
approval of all plans and designs, and the awarding of contracts; also,
the general supervision of grading the grounds, construction of the



1738 MEMOIR OF EUGENE CASTNER LEWIS

Union Passenger Station and other extensive buildings, steel viaducts,
bridges, yard trackage, and other details, altogether involving an ex-
penditure of more than $2 500 000. This work was begun in August,
1898, and formally opened for service in October, 1900.

The Nashville and Decatur Railroad, beginning at Nashville,
Tenn., and ending at Decatur, Ala., is under lease for a long term of
years to the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, but the organization
of the Lessor Company is maintained, and, of this, Major Lewis was
a member of the Board of Directors, and Vice-President at the time
of his death.

The Napier Iron Works are in Lewis County, Tennessee, and, from
the time of its organization in 1890, until 1895, Major Lewis was
President of the Company and General Manager of the works. A
branch line of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad was built from
Summertown to Napier, and the furnace plant at that place was built
and operated as a charcoal furnace until 1895 under his management.

By the Courts, Major Lewis was entrusted with the following re-
sponsible duties:

In 1901, he was made Co-Receiver in the affairs of the Nashville
Street Railways. This resulted in the re-organization of the Company
under the title of The Nashville Railway and Light Company, in 1903.

In June, 1910, he was appointed Co-Receiver in the affairs of the
Bon Air Coal and Iron Company. In the performance of this trust,
he continued until his death.

It is probable that his notable success in the organization, develop-
ment, and management, as Director General, of the Tennessee Cen-
tennial Exposition, held at Nashville in 1897, is the especial achieve-
ment by which Major Lewis was most widely known, and for which he
justly received the greatest commendation from the public.

It is impossible, in this memoir, to give adequate or even partial
description of this memorable and historic event and its far-reaching
influence for good. Suffice it to say that it was the unanimous and
unqualified action of the large and very able Board of Directors, as
well as the voice of the people at large, that the complete success of
the Exposition was, in great measure, due to the skill, inventive genius,
and admirable taste of Major Lewis in the design and construction of
details, and to his rare administrative ability in the management of
its affairs.

As a natural consequence, and under the inspiration of the example
set in the attractive beauties of the Exi^osition grounds, there came
the creation of the Park System of the City of Nashville; and from
1901 to 1913, Major Lewis was the moving spirit, the presiding genius
of the Board of Park Commissioners. Evidence of his taste, skill,
and originality is seen in numberless details, sometimes uniijue.



MEMOIR OF EUGENE CASTNER LEWIS 1739

.always attractive, in the many Parks of Nashville, to which he devoted
much time and study. At the Centennial, "The Parthenon", an
accurate reproduction of the orig'inal at Athens, still stands as a
memento of the Exposition.

The Nashville American had long been the leading morning daily
newspaper of the city. In 1896, Major Lewis became its owner and
publisher, and continued as such until 1909. Under his management,
it was a vigorous and influential advocate of the policies of the
political party of which it was the organ, and of integrity and "up-
to-date" methods in municipal affairs. One especial reason for its
purchase in 1896 was for its service in the Publicity Department of
the Centennial Exposition.

The Engineering Association of the South was organized at
Nashville, on September 18th, 1889, and Major Lewis was one of the
charter members. He served as Director for several terms, and was
President of the Association in 1893.

The following are some of the personal attributes of Major Lewis,
which combined in the formation of a character, aggressive, public
spirited, and of conspicuous usefulness in public affairs and in private
life: Strict integrity and faithfulness in official station, and in
matters of public or private trust; and, in this, he was imperative
in demanding the same from colleagues and subordinates. Fearless
disregard of public opinion or criticism, in advocating or executing
measures which, in his judgment, were commendable and right;
independence of thought, and great originality in conception, design,
and methods; untiring energy and industry. His active mind, domi-
nating a somewhat frail physique, seemed never to be at rest.

At his home, there was ever a rare and genial hospitality and an
unfailing and active interest in the welfare of the ' people among
whom he lived.

Major .Lewis was gifted with correct taste and appreciation of
worlds of art, and was a liberal subscriber to funds for the promotion
thereof, as well as to other measures of public character. His private
charities are known to have been large, but were ever carefully con-
cealed.

Briefly, Major Lewis was public spirited, self-reliant, masterful,
fearless, outspoken, faithful in duty, talented, successful, charitable,
and honorable in all his dealings.

Like all men of strong character, he was not faultless, nor without
vigorous opponents and some personal enemies; and, yet, by one and
all, his death was felt to be a calamity; and his imperative dictation,
that there should be "no flowers, no funeral, no fuss" when he should
pass away, could not prevent the large attendance of eminent men,
long-time associates, and warm-hearted friends, from near and far,



1740 MEMOIR OF EUGENE CASTNER LEWIS

at the brief but deeply impressive service, when, at the twilight hour,
his remains were placed in the family vault at Mt. Olivet.

Then, too, as the twilight faded, for 300 sec. all traffic ceased, no
wheels were in motion, on the entire system of the Nashville, Chatta-
nooga, and St. Louis Railway, and on the street railways of the City
of Nashville.

Major Lewis was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers, on March 5th, 1873, and served as a Director in
1903-05 and 1912-14. He valued his membership in the Society very
highly, and, until his death, maintained an active interest in its



MEMOIR OF ALEXANDER WILLIAM MACCALLUM 1741

ALEXANDER WILLIAM MacCALLUM, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died February 3d, 1917.



Alexander William MacCallum was born in Edinburgh, Scotland,
on July 25th, 1859.

He served an apprenticeship of four years to a mechanical trade
at the shops of the Central Eailroad of New Jersey, at Ashley, Pa.
This apprenticeship was finished in 1881, and he then entered
Lafayette College, at Easton, Pa., from which he was graduated in
June, 1885, with the degrees of C. E. and M. E.

During 1886, and a part of 1887, Mr. MacCallum was employed as
Engineer and Assistant Siiperintendent at the Massillon Engine
Works.

In 1887 he was engaged by Samuel R. Bullock and Company, of
New York City, as Engineer and Superintendent of the water-works
at Massillon, Circleville, and Defiance, Ohio, thus entering the field
of water- works engineering, in which he afterward specialized.

In March, 1889, Mr. MacCallum was appointed Engineer and Gen-
eral Manager in charge of all the public utilities of R. D. Wood and
Company. While in this position, he supervised the building and
rebuilding of many of that Company's water-works plants, as well as
the management of several of its gas and light plants, including those
at Denison, Tex.; Mobile, Florence, and Tuscaloosa, Ala.; Pensacola,
Tampa, and Lake City, Fla. ; Macon, Ga.; Vincennes and Greencastle,
Ind. ; Sharon, Corry, Chester, and Marcus Hook, Pa. ; Owego, N. Y. ;
and Millville, N. J.

On numerous occasions, he acted as Appraiser and Arbitrator for
various companies, notably for the Trinidad, Colo., Water-Works
(1896) ; the Macon, Ga., Gas Light and Water Company (1910) ; the
Warren, Pa., Water- Works (1911) ; the Ashland, Ky., Water Company
(1911) ; as well as the Kane, Pa., Water Company, the Catlettsburg,
Kenova, and Cereda, W. Va., Water- Works, etc.

From March, 1906, until his death, Mr. MacCallum was Consult-
ing Engineer and General Manager, in charge of a number of public
utilities for financial interests, with headquarters at Philadelphia,
Pa., devoting his spare time to valuations and appraisals and to ex-
aminations and reports, for bankers and private investors, on water-
works properties in various States. He was probably best known as
the Secretary and General Manager of the New Chester Water Com-
pany, of Chester, Pa., and also of the Linwood, South Chester, Ridley,

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information furnished by George W.
Fuller, M. Am. Soc. C. E., Robert C. Wheeler, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E., and
Harry S. Hopper, Esq.



17-i3 MEMOIR OF ALEXANDER WILLIAM MACCALLUM

Chichester, Edgemont, and Delaware Water Companies, and of the
Greencastle and Vincennes, Ind., Water Corporations.

On February 3d, 1917, while apparently in the best of health, Mr.
MacCallum suffered a stroke of apoplexy which caused his death.

On October 13th, 1887, during his residence in Massillon, Ohio,
Mr. MacCallum was married to Grace F. Weaver, of Cleveland, Ohio.
He is survived by his wife and five children, Mrs. Nellie Williams, Jane
Gordon, Grace Elizabeth, Walter Wood, and Alexander William
MacCallum, Jr.

His most striking characteristic was his cheerfulness and optimism
and his devotion to his work, his family, and his immediate friends,
among whom his loss will be keenly felt. Although exceedingly modest
and retiring, he was withal a shrewd business man. He used sound
judgment in the application of his engineering knowledge in the
water-works field, and won the confidence alike of citizens and public
officials, as well as of his associates, in the management of the various
water-works properties. Under his quiet manner, however, Mr. Mac-
Callum had great strength of character, devotion of purpose, and deep
religious convictions.

He had made his home at Merchantville, N. J., for many years, and
always took an active interest in local public affairs. Among other
things, he served for a long time as a member of the Sewerage Com-
mission which inaugurated and constructed the improved sewerage
system for the town.

At a meeting of the Executive Committee of the Xew Chester
Water Company, on February 21st, 1917, Mr. Harry S. Hopper, the
Treasurer of the Committee, who was also an intimate friend of Mr.
MacCallum, made the following statements :

"It is with a feeling of deep sadness that I report the sudden death
on February 3d, 1917, of our late Secretary and General Manager,
Mr. Alexander W. MacCallum.

"The loss of Mr. MacCallum seems irreparable to me personally,
and also to the Water Works he managed, as well as the Water Works
community generally. He was connected with our interests for nearly
30 years, and was much more than the title given him indicates. He
took a deep personal interest in each plant and could not have been
more faithful and painstaking had he owned the properties. He
always put the 'ladies' first, meaning Mrs. Little, Mrs. Lippincott, and
Mrs. Hopper, and never spared himself where their interests were
involved.

''He built the properties up in the last ten years to a point of effi-
ciency and profit toward which he had been aiming, and looked for-
ward to the completion of the work planned at CUiester as the crowning
effort of his life; it is difficult to understand why he should not have
been allowed to realize his desire."



MEMOIR OF ALEXANDER AVILLIAM MACCALLUM 1743

The following resolutions were also unanimously adopted at the
meeting :

"Bcsolved, That, in the death of Mr. MacCallum the Company
has met a loss that cannot be supplied. Mr. MacCallum's character
included an extraordinary combination of qualities. To a thorough
technical knowledge of the scientific branches of the business, which
he had acquired as engineer, he united the broad knowledge of busi-
ness, which he had earned by conscientious devotion to work, and he
had also the higher qualities which the experience of responsibility
cheerfully and successfvilly borne brings to all. His sympathy with
human nature was deep and evident, and his qualities of friendship
were sincere and enduring.

''Resolved, That the Board desires to extend its deepest sympathy
to Mrs. MacCallum and her family, and directs that a copy of these
resolutions be forwarded to her."

Mr. MacCallum was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on September 2d, 1914.



1744 MEMOIR OF DANIEL m'COOL

DANIEL McCOOL, M. Am. Soc. C. E.=i



Died November 30th, 1916.



Dauiel McCool was born at London, Ont., Canada, on January 9th,
1850. He was educated at the Jesuit College in Quebec, and, later,
was graduated from the English High School in that city.

In 1869, Mr. McCool moved to Niagara Falls, N. Y., and later to
Auburn, N. Y., and his first engineering experience was gained as
Rodman on the fortifications at Point Lewis where he was employed
for two years.

He then entered the employ of the New York and Oswego Midland
Railroad Company as Assistant Engineer on construction. In 1873, he
became Assistant Resident Engineer on the New York Central and
Hudson River Railroad, in which position he had charge of the
four-track improvement west of Syracuse, N. Y., under the Chief
Engineer. During the last five years of his service with this Company,
Mr. McCool, in addition to his engineering duties, served as Assistant
Superintendent in charge of traffic.

In 1880, Mr. McCool was appointed Private Secretary to the Gen-
eral Manager of the Michigan Central Railroad and also had charge



Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 157 of 167)