American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 160 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 160 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


5th, 1907.

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information supplied by J. A. Spittle, Esq.



1766 MEMOIK OF LEONARD WARREN RUNDLETT

LEONARD WARREN RUNDLETT, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



Died October 13th, 1916.



Leonard Warren Rundlett was born in Alna, Lincoln County,
Me., on September 21st, 1846. During boyhood he lived in Bruns-
wick, Me. While he was very young his father died, after which he
lived with his widowed mother and only sister. He attended school at
Brunswick, and was graduated from Bowdoin College in 1868, after-
ward taking a post-graduate course in engineering.

Two years after graduation he went to St. Paul, Minn., where he
joined the Engineer Corps of the St. Paul and Pacific Railroad Com-
pany (now the Great Northern Railway), and was engaged for two
years in railroad construction work in Minnesota.

In 1872 Mr. Rundlett entered the employ of the City Engineer of
St. Paul. He remained in this office, succeeding to that position nine
years later. Resigning from that office in 1883, he devoted two years
to planning and constructing the St. Paiil Water- Works. He then
resumed the position of City Engineer and remained in charge of the
engineering work of the city, with the exception of one term, until
1911. During this time the city had increased from a frontier town of
25 000 people to a city of 250 000. Its public works, bridges, streets,
sewers, water-works, and public buildings, costing many millions, had
been planned and executed tmder his supei'vision. The administration
of the Engineering Department had occupied practically all his pro-
fessional life, as he had been connected with it for 38 years; during
this time the city government was controlled by parties of diilerent
political views, but, in the words of the leading paper of the city
after his death :

"Through them all L. W. Rundlett was recognized as a competent
engineer and a personally honest man. He came through all without
a taint upon his personal honesty."

The Commercial Club of the city, of which he was an active member
for many years, in memorial resolutions states:

"During many years of work as a public official of this city he
exemplified the highest type of official service, marked by ability, integ-
rity, and humanity; and was in all things above the temptations of
office, power, or place; caring not for public or personal honors so
much as he cared for the approval of his own conscience and the
merited affection of his fellow-men."

During the term he was not City Engineer, Mr. Rundlett was in
charge of important hydraulic development on the Apple River,
Wisconsin.

* Memoir prepared by George L. Wilson, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



MEMOIK OP LEONARD ^VAKREN RUNDLETT 1767

In 1913 and 1914 he was Commissioner of Public Works for the
City of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada. After this, he opened an
office as Consulting Engineer in St. Paul. His health had been poor
for some months; he had been suffering from heart trouble, but finally,
on October 13th, the end came suddenly at his home.

He was married to Miss Mary Atwater Barry, of Milwaukee, Wis.,
on October 27th, 18S1. Miss Barry was the daughter of Capt. Garrett
Barry, a graduate of West Point, and Mary Atwater, of Wallingford,
Conn. Mrs. Eundlett and one daughter, Mrs. Garritta (Rundlett)
Edgerton, survive him.

Mr. Rundlett was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on September 5th, 1883. He served as a Director
of tiie Society in 1911-13.



1768 MEMOIR OF FRANK EDSON SHEDD

FRANK EDSON SHEDD, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died September 22d, 1916.



Frank Edson Shedd was born in Sharon, N. H., on July 18tli, 1856.
He attended the Conant High School of East Jaffrey, N. H., and
entered Dartmouth College, from which he was graduated in the Class
of 1880.

After a year of teaching, as Principal of a high school, Mr. Shedd
entered the service of the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey,
where he remained for a year, his work being on the charting of the
coast of Maine. In 1882, he left the service of the Government to take
up civil engineering in Lowell, Mass.

In 1886, Mr. Shedd had charge of the erection of the Washington
Mills, at Lawrence, Mass., at that time one of the largest mill con-
struction propositions which had ever been undertaken. These mills
are now owned by the American Woolen Company.

In April, 1887, he became a member of the staff of Lockwood, Greene
and Company, the engineering firm which had designed the Washing-
ton Mills, and two years later was made First Assistant to Mr. Stephen
Greene, then the sole member of the firm. From that time imtil his
death, Mr. Shedd maintained an intimate connection with that organi-
zation.

On January 1st, 1901, on the incorporation of Lockwood, Greene
and Company, Mr. Shedd became a Director and the Vice-President
of the firm, and held both these positions until his death. He was a
Civil Engineer of high standing, and had designed many large mills
and hydraulic plants in various parts of the United States and Canada,
having been considered one of the leading authorities in this country
on hydraulic developments.

Mr. Shedd was a man of varied interests; a member of the Boston
Society of Civil Engineers and of the American Society of Mechanical
Engineers, he was also a member of St. John's Lodge, A. F. and A. M.,
of Boston, a Companion in the Mount Vernon Eoyal Arch Chapter,
and a member of the Second Parish Congregational Church, of Dor-
chester, Mass.

Mr. Shedd was also a member of the New Hampshire Historical
Society and a life member of the New England Historic Genealogical
Society. He was the founder, as well as the Secretary and Treasurer,
of the Shedd Family Association, and designed the handsome monu-
ment—erected at Shedd's Neck, in Quincy, Mass., three weeks prior to
his death — by the Shedd Association, in ho nor of the first ancestor of

• Memoir prepared by Mr. Frank W. Reynolds, of Lockwood, Greene and Company,
Boston, Mass.



MEMOIR OF FExVNK EDSON SHEDD 1769

tte family in America. Having been for many years much interested
in genealogical research, he had collected many valuable data regarding
the Shedd descendants in America, and was making plans, when taken
sick, looking toward the early publication of a genealogy of the family.
Mr. Shedd was a thorough, painstaking engineer, of retentive mem-
ory, wise judgment, and tireless industry ; a modest unobtrusive gentle-
man of sterling character. One of his friends says of him:

"He was a high-minded citizen and represented the highest ideals
of human life; he rendered a large service to his fellow-men; he was
an honor to his Profession and has left behind him a name which
ought to be an inspiration and help to us all for higher and better
things."

During his illness, which covered the last six months of his life,
Mr. Shedd suffered much, but bore his sufferings with great fortitude,
and attended to many affairs up to the very last. He died at his
home in Dorchester, Mass., on September 22d, 1916, leaving a widow
and one son.

Mr. Shedd was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on February 6th, 1907.



1770 MEMOIE OF DAVID SIMSON

DAVID SIMSON. M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died December 16tpi, 1916.



David Simson was born at Bedrule House, Roxburghshire, Scotland,
on November 9th, 1861. He was educated at St. Andrew's and Edin-
burgh University, and from September, 1877, to June, 1879, served as
Apprentice Meclianical Engineer in the shops of Messrs. Douglas and
Grant, at Kirkcaldy, Scotland, where he was engaged on the construc-
tion of large stationary engines, boilers, sugar and paper machinery,
etc. From February, 1880, to January, 1882, he also worked as an
Apprentice to Messrs. Carfrae and Belfrage, Land Surveyors, of Edin-
burgh, Scotland, and was engaged in surveying, the construction of
roads, sewers, etc.

Having served his apprenticeship, Mr. Simson was employed, from
January, 1882, to July, 1S84-, by Messrs. J. Waddell and Son, Railway
Contractors, of Edinburgh, as Contractor's Engineer in charge of the
construction of the eastern half of the Edinburgh Suburban Railway.
This work involved the deviation of streets, sewers, etc., and the cross-
ing of the new railway over and under existing railways and canals.

From August to November, 1884, Mr. Simson traveled over the
greater part of the United States and Canada, in order to study Amer-
ican methods of railroad construction. On his return to his home, he
was engaged, from January to June, 1885, by the creditors of Messrs.
L. and K. Macdonald, Contractors, to finish the construction of the
Killin Railway, in Perthshire, Scotland. One of the most important
parts of this work was the construction of a viaduct over the River
Dochart. This viaduct consisted of five skew spans of about 50 ft.
each, the arches being of concrete. This is the first instance in which
concrete was used for arches of this magnitude in railway construction
in Great Britain.

In June, 1885, Mr. Simson entered the employ of John Strain,
Civil Engineer, and was engaged in making surveys and preparing
drawings for the various railway construction projects on which the
firm was working. He also assisted Mr. Strain in giving evidence
before Parliamentary Commissions in London, and in 1887-88, served
as Resident Engineer on the construction of the Kilbirnie Branch of
the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway, for which he had previously
made the surveys and drawings.

In September, 1888, Mr. Simson resigned his position with Mr.
Strain, and went to South America where he was appointed Chief
Assistant Resident Engineer on the Mountain Division of the Buenos
Aires and Valparaiso Transandine Railway from Mendoza. This
Division covered 100 miles of extremely difiicult mountain railway

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society
Headquarters.



MEMOIR OF DAVID SIMSON 1771

construction, especially in connection with the gorge of the Mendoza
River in which the roadbed had to be blasted from the sides of the
precipice. Mr. Simson remained in this position until November,
1891, at which time the line was constructed and open as far as Rio
Blanco, and work on the Summit Tunnel had been commenced.

He then returned to Scotland, but, in October, 1892, he was
appointed Chief Engineer of the Western Railway of Havana, in
Cuba, which position he held until June, 1896. During his incum-
bency, all the old timber trestles along the line of this road were
replaced by steel structures, and the railroad was extended 10 miles to
Pinar del Rio, into the heart of the best tobacco district on the island.

In November, 1896, Mr. Simson entered the service of the Buenos
Aires Western Railway Company as Chief Engineer, with headquar-
ters at Buenos Aires. In September, 1897, he was appointed Acting
Manager, and in September, 1898, General Manager of the Company,
which position he held until December, 1906. On his retirement, the
employes of the Railway Company presented him with a silver model
of a locomotive in token of their affection and respect.

From January to March, 1907, Mr. Simson was engaged in Chile
and Bolivia, in making a report on the affairs of the Antofagasta and
Bolivia Railway. In April of that year, he retired from the active
practice of engineering and returned to England to make his home.

Subsequently, he was elected a member of the Board of Directors
of the Buenos Aires Western, the Antofagasta and Bolivia, and the
Great Western of Brazil Railways, but he was obliged to retire from
the latter two, in 1912 and 1913, respectively, on account of pressure
of other work. He had also been elected, in November, 1907, a Director
of the Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway Company, and was made
Chairman of the Board in September, 1910. He was also a Director
of the Buenos Aires Southern Dock Company and of the London and
River Plate Bank.

At the time of his death, which occurred suddenly by heart failure
at his home at Ickleford Manor, Hitchin, Herts, Mr. Simson was
actively engaged in war relief work in his district.

He was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Great
Britain, and a "Caballero" of the Secon-d Class of the Spanish Order of
Military Merit, having been decorated for services rendered the Spanish
Government in conducting armored trains and repairing the Western
Railway of Havana under fire during the Cuban Rebellion of 1896.

He was widely versed in South American affairs, and his death
will be deeply felt by the Anglo-Argentine Colony of which he was one
of the best known and most valued members. He is survived by his
widow and one son.

Mr. Simson was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on January 8th, 1902.



1772 MEMOIK OF FRANK OSCAR SINCLAIR

FRANK OSCAR SINCLAIR, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died ITovember 15th, 1916.



Frank Oscar Sinclair was born at Burlington, Vt., on September
Tth, 1860. He received his technical education at the University of
Vermont, from which he was graduated in the Class of 1882.

During the summers of 1881 and 1882 he was employed as Assistant
Engineer on the location and construction of the Canada-Atlantic
Railway. In May, 1883, Mr. Sinclair went West and was engaged
until July, 1884, as Assistant City Engineer of Leavenworth, Kans.,
in charge, under the late G. W. Pearsons, M. Am. Soc. C. E., as
Consulting Engineer, of the construction of a sewer system for
that city.

From July, 1884, to October, 1892, he was engaged on railroad
work in the West and South, as follows : July, 1884, to January, 1885,
Assistant Engineer with the Missouri Pacific Railway Company, with
lieadquarters at Atchison, Kans.; July, 1885, to July, 1887, Assistant
and Division Engineer with the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific
Railway Company, in charge of part of location and construction on
lines west of the Missouri River; September, 1887, to July, 1S90, Prin-
cipal Assistant Engineer of the Knoxville Southern Railway; July to
November, 1890, on location for the West Virginia and Pittsburgh
Railroad Company in West Virginia; August, 1891, to October, 1892,
Chief Engineer for the Ducktown (Tenn.) Mineral Railway Company
and the Ducktown Sulphur, Copper, and Iron Company, constructing
a narrow-gauge railway, erecting a crushing plant, smelting sheds,
roasting furnaces, etc.

Mr. Sinclair then returned to Burlington, Vt., where he opened
an office and engaged in private practice as a Consulting Engineer.
He served as Chief Engineer on the construction of the Burlington
Traction Company's lines, the water-power plant for Vergennes, and
the Bolton Falls Dam. He was also engaged, from June, 1896, to
August, 1900, as Contracting Engineer for the Pittsburgh Bridge
Company in Vermont.

In 1904, Mr. Sinclair was appointed City Engineer of Burlington,
Vt., and held that office until his death. He also served as a member
of the Board of Aldermen from Ward 1, from 1899 to 1903; Superin-
tendent of the Water Department from 1905 to 1909; and Member of
the Board of Street Commissioners from 1913 to 1916, serving as
Chairman in 1913 and 1914.

In 1910, Mr. Sinclair was appointed Consulting Engineer of the
Public Service Commission of Vermont, which position he held at

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society
Headquarters.



MEMOIR OF FRANK OSCAR SINCLAIR 1773

the time of his death which occurred on November 15th, 1916, following
an operation. He is survived by his widow and three children, and by
two brothers.

Mr. Sinclair was a man of the conservative type. He had many
times proved himself capable of grasping large problems and of working
them out successfully. He had established a reputation as a careful
and accurate engineer, in recognition of which he had filled many
positions of trust, among which was a recent appointment by the Secre-
tary of the Navy as Chairman of the State Directors and Associate
Members of the Naval Construction Board of Vermont. His sudden
death was a distinct shock to the people of Burlington, which city he
had served worthily in so many capacities, and his loss will be deeply
felt by all who knew him.

He was a Past-President of the Vermont Society of Engineers, a
member of Hamilton Lodge, I. O. 0. F., the Algonquin Club, and a
charter member of Vermont Alpha of Phi Delta Theta. He was also
a member of the Ofiicial Board of the Methodist Church, and had
been a teacher in the Sunday School for many years.

Mr. Sinclair was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on November 6th, 1901.



1774 MEMOIR OF DAVID WENDEL SPENCE

DAVID WENDEL SPENCE, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



Died June 28th, 1917.



On September 22d, 1868, David Wendel Spence, the son of the
late Joseph and Margaretta (Wendel) Spence, was born at Austin,
Tex. His early education was obtained at private schools in Austin,
and, for four years, he was a member of the classes in the late Professor
Bidder's Academy. In June, 1889, he received his B. Sc. degree
from the then young University of Texas, his work as a student having
been in the Civil Engineering course.

During the summer of 1889, Mr. Spence was a member of the
geological field party of the late Dr. Theodore B. Comstock, then
Geologist in charge of the investigation of the Central Mineral Dis-
trict of Texas, on the Texas State Geological Survey. In September,
1889, he entered the University of Michigan where he pursued advanced
work in civil engineering under the late Charles E. Greene, M. Am.
Soc. C. E., then Professor of Civil Engineering in that institution,
and spent one year in resident study. In 1891, after having had
one year's active practice in his profession, at Denver, Colo., he
received his C. E. degree from the University of Michigan.

Mr. Speuce's year in Denver was spent in the office of the Lane
Bridge and Iron Works, the factory of which company was in Chicago,
111. Later, he returned to Chicago, and was Chief Draftsman of the
South Halsted Street Iron Works until September, 1892, wlien he
resigned to return to Texas to accept a position in the Agricultural
and Mechanical College of Texas, with which institution he main-
tained continuous connection until his death. During his twenty-five
years of service at the College, he occupied, successively, the following
positions: 1892 to 1898, Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering and
Physics, and of Drawing; 1898 to 1899, Associate Professor of Civil
Engineering and Physics, and Drawing; 1899 to 1904, Professor of
Physics; 1904 to 1908, Associate Professor of Civil Engineering; 1908
to 1913, Professor of Structural Engineering; and, 1913 to 1917, Dean
of the School of Engineering, and Professor of Civil Engineering.

Dean Spence organized the Texas Engineering Experiment Station,
at the Agricultural and Mechanical College, and was its Director from
its inception until his death. He also rendered additional valuable
service to the College along several lines of physical development.
From 1907 to 1911, he was in charge of repairs to buildings, and of
the maintenance and extension of the water supply and sewer systems
of that institution. He was also Supervisor of Construction of the
$100 000 mess hall, built at the College in 1913. From 1912 until
* Memoir prepared by J. C. Nagle, M. Am. Soc. O. E.



MEMOIR OF DAVID WENDEL SPENCE 1775

the time of his death, Dean Spence was Supervising Engineer for
all new construction work at the Prairie View, Tex., ISTormal and
Industrial College (for negroes), over which the Board of Directors
of the Agricultural and Mechanical College has jurisdiction. From
1911 until his death, he had complete charge of the repairs to build-
ings, and of water-works and sewer extensions, at Prairie View.

During his vacations, Dean Spence occupied various positions,
among which the following may be mentioned: 1894, Assistant Engi-
neer, Brazos and Burleson Railway Company; 1895 and 1896, Engi-
neer, Brazos River Channel and Dock Company, Velasco, Tex.; 1899,
Draftsman, Union Bridge Company, Athens, Pa.; 1900, Assistant
Engineer, Houston, East and West Texas Railroad Company; 1901
Draftsman, Columbia Bridge Company, Carnegie, Pa. ; 1903, Assistant
Locating Engineer, Gulf, West Texas and Pacific Railroad Company;
and 1905, Draftsman, Penn Bridge Company, Beaver Falls, Pa.

Dean Spence also did considerable private work as Consulting
Engineer, especially on highway bridges.

Among his former students are numbered manj^ lorominent engi-
neers, not only of Texas, but of other States and of foreign countries,
every one of whom bears him in affectionate remembrance, and who,
together with a host of other friends, deeply mourn his untimely end.
Zeal for his work, and love for his institution, caused him for years
to overtax himself, and to disregard the warnings of failing health.
Almost up to the very hour of his death, he was busy planning better-
ments in his college courses and improvements in the conduct of his
Department. Long will the College miss his wise counsel and ener-
getic efforts in its behalf.

In June, 1893, Mr. Spence was married to Miss Lucy Reese, daugh-
ter of the late distinguished Judge T. S. Reese, at Hempstead, Tex.,
who, with one son (who also is a civil engineer), and two daughters,
survives him.

Dean Spence was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on October 1st, 1913.



1776 MEMOIR OF HENRY GORDON STOTT

HENRY GORDON STOTT, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



Died January 15th. 1917,



Henry Gordon Stott was a native of the Orkney Islands, Scotland,
where he was bom on May 13th, 1866, the son of the Eev. David and
Elizabeth Jane (Dibblee) Scott. After a thorough grounding in the
fundamentals, by his father and elementary school instructors, he was
enrolled as a student at the Watson Collegiate School, Edinburgh. On
leaving this institution he entered the College of Arts and Sciences at
Glasgow, and began a course in mechanical engineering and electricity,
being graduated in 1885. In the year previous he had entered the
employ of the Electric Illuminating Company, of Glasgow. Shortly
after his graduation he was made Assistant Electrician on board the
Steamship Minia, belonging to the Anglo-American Telegraph Com-
pany. The next 4^ years saw him engaged with those duties, during
the course of which he saw much service in connection with repairs
to the cable lines of that company. During this period he undertook
a number of experiments that resulted in the introduction of improved
methods of handling cable repairs. He was also identified with the
'•'duplexing" of the United States Cable Company's main cable (2 750
knots), the longest duplex cable in the world.

In 1889 Mr. Stott was made Assistant Engineer of the Brush
Electric Engineering Company's plant at Bournemouth, England. In
the following year he accepted a position with Hammond and Company
as Assistant Engineer in the construction of an underground cable and
power plant at Madrid, Spain. He remained there until 1891, coming
to the United States in that year to construct an underground cable
and conduit system for the Buffalo Light and Power Company (now
the Buffalo General Electric Company). This work was completed
with a degree of success that reflected very great credit on Mr. Stott.
As a result he was named Engineer of the company, and during the
next 10 years was one of the most active figures in the industrial
progress of Buffalo. During this period he designed and executed
some notable construction work, including a power-plant on Wilkeson
Street, Buffalo.

His efforts attracted wide attention, and in 1901 he was appointed
Superintendent of Motive Power of the Interborough Rapid Transit
Company, New York City, a position which he filled with signal suc-
cess. At the time he took up these duties the Interborough had not
yet been organized, the company having the title of the Manhattan
Railway Company. The post to which Mr. Stott was called had just

♦Memoir prepared by W. S. Pinlay, Jr., Esq.



MEMOIR OF HENRY GORDON STOTT 1777

been created, and it devolved upon him to organize the operating force,
in connection with which he completed the 74th Street power-plant
of the company, and various sub-stations and transmission lines.

When the Manhattan System was amalgamated with the Inter-
borough, in 1904, Mr. Stott was invited to retain his office with the
new corporation. He accepted, and immediately took over supervision
of the construction of the power-plant on 59th Street. Since that
time he had been constantly in charge of the design, construction, and



Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 160 of 167)