American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 161 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 161 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


operation of the power generating stations and the distributing system
of the Interborough, which comprehends both the subway, elevated,
and surface lines of New York City.

,The plans for the electric power system of the new subway lines
were developed under his supervision, and the work has progressed
so far and bears so strongly the stamp of his work that, when completed,
it will be a monument to him.

Mr. Stott was a firm believer in co-operation among engineers,
through the agency of engineering societies. He was elected President
of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers for the term 1907-
1908, Vice-President of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
for the term 1912-1914, Director of the American Society of Civil
Engineers in 1911, and was Vice-President and Trustee of the United
Engineering Society at the time of his death. Up to the last, Mr.
Stott was a recognized power in the American Institute of Electrical
Engineers, and was a member of the Standards Committee, the Com-
mittee on Development of Water-Power, the United States National
Committee of the International Electrotechnical Commission, the
Power Stations Committee, the Public Policy Committee, the Edison
Medal Committee, the Committee on Economics of Electric Service,
and was one of the Institute's representatives on the Joint Committee
on the Metric System, of which he was an ardent advocate.

As a result of his unusually wide experience and extended research,
Mr. Stott was called on often to contribute papers to the various
engineering societies. He was especially well known for his minute
analysis of enginering problems. Among the many papers written
by him on this subject are "The Conversion and Distribution of
Received Currents", "Power Plant Economics", "Notes on the Cost
of Power", "Steam Pipe Covering and Its Relation to Station
Economy", "Tests of a 15 000-Kilowatt Steam Engine Turbine Unit",
••Power Plant Design and Operation" (a series), etc.

Mr. Stott was a remarkable figure in the engineering world, because
he was in the front rank of both electrical and mechanical engineers,
because, in both branches of the art, he was a master of theory and
practice, and because, with these technical qualifications, he combined
a rare executive ability, a power of inspiring the confidence of his



1778 MEMOIR OF HENRY GORDON STOTT

employees, and of bringing out the best that was in the men who worked
for him.

Mr. Stott's activities were not confined to engineering matters. He
early became a citizen of the United States and served for 5 years in
the 74th Regiment of the National Guard of New York State.

He was also an active member of the Protestant Episcopal Church,
being a communicant of St. Paul's Church, of New Rochelle, in the
afi'airs of which he was deeply interested.

Mr. Stott was married on July 22d, 1894, to Miss Anna Mitchell,
of Belfast, Ireland, who, with their two children, a son and a daughter,
survives him. He died at his home, in New Rochelle, N. Y., on
January 15th, 1917, after an illness of many months.

Mr. Stott was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on July 1st, 1908.



MEMOIR OF SLEDGE TATUM 1779

SLEDGE TATUM, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died January 18th, 1916.



Sledge Tatum, the son of Seth and Sarah Elizabeth Tatum, was
born on July 10th, 1870, at LaGrange, Ga. He received his education
at the LaGrange High School and from private instructors.

He began his professional career in 1886 in the Engineering
Department of the Macon and Birmingham Railroad, and, later, was
engaged in surveying and engineering work in Fulton and Troup
Counties, Georgia.

In 1894 he was elected a member of the Georgia Legislature to
represent Troup County.

In May, 1895, Mr. Tatum was appointed Surveyor in the United
States Geological Survey, and spent several years surveying land lines
in Indian Territory. In 1899, he was appointed Topographer, and
carried on triangulation 'in various States. In 1903, he surveyed
forest boimdaries in Washington and Idaho, and the following year
executed triangulation along the International Boundary.

On June 10th, 1905, he was transferred from the Department of
the Interior for service with the Department of Engineering of the
Isthmian Canal Commission. He began work in the Canal Zone as
lustrumentman on the Chagres River surveys, and advanced rapidly
through the different grades, at one time having charge of all the
survey parties in the field, both on the Chagres River Division and
the Canal Zone boundary. On November 1st, 1908, Mr. Tatum was
made Superintendent of Construction and was employed on the
building of the Gatun Dam under Gen. William L. Sibert, M. Am. Soc.
C. E., Division Engineer. He had charge of the surveys, the excava-
tion at the spillway, and the driving and filling of all trestles. He
resigned on February 8th, 1909, to accept a transfer to the United
States Geological Survey.

On his return to the Survey, Mr. Tatum was assigned to special
investigations and, on Jvme lsfr'1910, was appointed Geographer in
charge of the Rocky Mountain Division, comprising North and South
Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado,
New Mexico, and Texas, with summer headquarters at Denver, Colo.
His duties comprised the planning and supervision of all topographic
mapping in this area.

On December 10th, 1915, he was appointed Acting Chief Geographer
of the Topographic Branch of the United States Geological Survey,
in which capacity he served until his death.

* Memoir prepared by Frank Sutton, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



1780 MEMOIR OF SLEDGE TATUM

Mr. Tatum was one of those rare combinations of thorough ability,
good judgment, and consideration of the rights of others, and his
death was a great loss, both to his associates in the Survey, with
whom he had served for twenty years, and to his wide circle of friends.

C. L. Carpenter, M. Am. Soc. C. E., Manager of the Central Aguirre
Company, of Central Aguirre, Porto Rico, writes of Mr. Tatum as
follows :

"I believe there was hardly a person on the Isthmus during the
time he was there who was so universally respected and liked by the
people to whom he reported and by the people who reported to him,
and I can hardly think of a person on the Isthmus to whom this would
apply so well during the four years that I was connected with the
Panama Canal. He certainly was a very loyal employee of the
Isthmian Canal Commission and a very loyal friend. He was an
extremely good judge of human nature and a good executive, and he
did a great deal to help in training many young men while he was
on the Isthmus.

"I know very few men who had all Mr. Tatum's good qualities, and
it is certainly a pity that he should be called away so soon."

Mr. Tatum was a member of the Washington Society of Engineers
and of the Cosmos Club of Washington. He also belonged to a Missis-
sippi Commandery of Knights Templar.

He was married on May 5th, 1909, to Miss Sarah Richardson, of
Huntsville, Ala., a daughter of Representative William Richardson
and Elizabeth Benagh Rucker Richardson, and is survived by his wife.

Mr. Tatum was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on January 4th, 1910.



MEMOIR OF EDWARD CLINTON TERRY 1781

EDWARD CLINTON TEKRT, M. Am, Soc. C. E.*



Died April 6th, 1908.



Eli Terry, of Plymouth, Conn., began to make mantel clocks in
1814, and these soon drove other styles out of the market. A few of
these mantel or shelf clocks, with wooden wheels and bearing the legend
"Warranted if well used", are still sometimes found in Connecticut.
His son Eli continued the manufacture of clocks at Terryville, Conn.,
a village which he founded about 1825, and his grandson James in-
herited the business, later turning it into the manufacture of locks for
trunks. James Terry was of a highly mechanical turn of mind; he
installed a pipe organ and a water motor in his house, and also made
a working model of a steam road vehicle which walked on four legs
like a horse.

Edward Clinton Terry, the youngest child of James and Elizabeth
(Hollister) Terry, was born at Terryville on December 10th, 1850.
As a lad, he had the advantage of learning much from his father
regarding machinery and hydraulic motors. He prepared for college
at the High School, in Hartford, Conn., and took the Civil Engineer-
ing course at the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale University, from
which he was graduated in 1871. As a student, his work was well and
faithfully done, and among his classmates he was regarded as a clear
thinker, fond of philosophical discussions, and as an excellent chess
player.

During 1871-73, Mr. Terry worked as a Rodman on the Easthamp-
ton Branch of the Connecticut River Railroad, and was also engaged
on surveys of the reservoirs for the water supply of Hartford, Conn.
He then spent much time in the study of water meters, and took out
patents for both a rotary and a piston meter. The first of these had a
wabbling disk which caused the rotation of an axis that acted on the
recording apparatus ; this he called the ''Undine Meter", the name being
taken from a German story which was read by his class in the Fresh-
man year. In 1880, he became connected with the Hartford Meter
Company, with which he was associated until 1889, at first as General
Manager and Secretary, and, later, as its proprietor.

In 1890, Mr. Terry was one of the organizers of the Earmington
River Power Company, and, as its Engineer, he designed and con-
structed a plant for generating electric power on the Earmington River
and transmitting it a distance of 11 miles to Hartford. This work
included a dam 500 ft. long and 18 ft. high, the hydro-electric power
plant, and the transmission line. It delivered at first 800 h.p. to the
* Memoir prepared by Mansfield Merriman, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



1782 MEMOIR OF EDWARD CLINTOX TERRY

Hartford Electric Light Company, and, later, this was increased to
1 300 h.p. This plant is said to have been the first long-distance trans-
mission of power by electricity in America. He was Secretary of the
Company and Manager of its engineering work for several years, and
it was during this period that modern methods were first used in gen-
erating electric energy from water power and in transmitting it to
Hartford.

About 1888, Mr. Terry became interested in steam turbines and, in
the following ten years, took out patents for three of high speed and
three of low speed. In 1906, he organized a company for the manu-
facture of low-speed turbines, of which he was President until his death.
Two of the first turbines were installed in New York City at the Water-
side Stations of the Edison Company, and were used to drive boiler-
feed pumps; in 1917 there are 24 such steam turbine-driven pumps in
use at these Stations. Altogether, about 3 300 Terry turbines have
been made and put into operation since 1906.

Mr. Terry had a wide reputation as a man of mechanical genius
and high business capacity. Although rather retiring in manner and
of a modest disposition, he was cheerful in temperament. Those who
became his friends always remained such, admiring his independence
of thought, his power of keen analysis of political and philosophical
problems, and his sterling character.

In college, Mr. Terry was a member of the Book and Snake Fra-
ternity and of the Sheffield Chess Club. In Connecticut, he was a
member of the Hartford Club and of the Golf Club. In politics, he
was always an independent voter. In 1901, he went to Europe, but his
inclination for travel was never great, and he preferred the quiet of
his home and the conversation of his family and friends. He died
on April 6th, 1908, at his residence in Hartford, Conn., following a
week's illness of pneumonia.

Luther W. Burt, Esq., formerly City Engineer of Hartford, writes
as follows:

"Terry always met an acquaintance with a cordial greeting and a
pleasant smile. His conversation was always informing and never
intrusive. I cannot remember that he ever spoke a disparaging word
of any one. He was upright, studious, and self-centered. He had.
I think, few intimates, but he generously recognized the services of
friends and employees."

Henry W. Sargent, Esq., Vice-President of Sargent and Company,
of New Haven, Conn., writes:

"Graduating as a Civil Engineer, Terry's inherited mechanical
instincts led his imaginative and reflective mind into mechanical and
electrical fields, which he enjoyed and enriched. With this taste and
with capacity for practical invention, he possessed executive qualities.



MEMOIR OF EDWARD CLINTON TERRY 1783

in a nice command of others, with patience to lead his associates to
reason and work with him in the direction of his choice. Such power,
strengthened by personal morality and a high ethical sense, makes
for a leader of men.

"Terry's nervous energy too early wore out a not too strong
physique, and he was called to his fathers at a time when his exertions
had just placed his manufacturing company on the firm foundation
of developing and supplying what was wanted in a field of prime
movers all its own."

James Shepard, Esq., of New Britain, Conn., who was Attorney
for Mr. Terry in taking out his patents for water meters and steam
turbines, writes as follows:

"My acquaintance with 'Clinton Terry' (as he was generally
called), began about 1878, when he became my client. He was one
of the most interesting clients I ever had, and it was always a pleasure
to meet him. He generally had some useful information to impart,
oftentimes upon matters other than the main subject of our interviews.
He was cheerful, energetic, diligent, persistent, and generally success-
ful' in all his undertakings. He was free to express his opinion as
to what he wanted, but he always did so in a courteous and pleasant
manner. He was a man of good habits, strictly honest, and prompt
in all business matters. His inventions were always fully worked
out, even as to details, and reduced to working drawings, before making
applications for patents. He was liked by all with whom he came into
contact, and his influence upon others was of an elevating character.

"His persistency enabled him to overcome obstacles that would
have discouraged other men. As an illustration of this, he came into
possession of the first clock model made by his great-grandfather,
Eli Terry, after a lengthy controversy and the payment of $1 000 for
the clock."

Mr. Terry was married on February 28th, 1872, to Miss Louise
Ellen Webster, of Terryville, Conn., who survives him. They had two
children: Charles Webster Terry, who died in 1886; and James Terry,
who was graduated from the Sheffield Scientific School in 1895, suc-
ceeded his father as President of the Terry Steam Turbine Company,
and died in 1917.

Edward Clinton Terry was elected a Member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers on February 6th, 1895.



1784 MEMOIR OF EELE LEROY VEUVE

ERLE LEROY VEUVE, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died March 25th, 1917.



Erie Leroy Veuve was born at the Military Post, at Port Townsend,
Wash., on January 21st, 1877. His early education was received at
Post Schools in many different parts of the country.

In 1893 he went to work as Chainman for the Northern Pacific
Railway Company and attained the position of Levelman. In the fall
of 1895, he entered Troop Polytechnic Institute, at Pasadena, Cal.,
with the intention of taking up the profession of Civil Engineering.
In 1896 he entered the Civil Engineering Department of Stanford
University, where he continued his studies until 1900. During this
time, Mr. Veuve's summer vacations were spent in engineering work
on the Northern Pacific and Southern Pacific Railways, and for
irrigation companies in the San Joaquin Valley, California. During
a part of 1898 he served as Chief Yeoman in the United States Navy.

During the latter part of 1900 and the early part of 1901, Mr. Veuve
had charge of a number of short pieces of work. In March, 1901,
he became Engineer in charge, for the United Verde and Pacific Rail-
way Company in Arizona, superintending the extensive reconstruction
on that road. On the completion of this work, in April, 1902, he was
employed as Assistant Chief Engineer of the Pacific Electric Railway
Company, in Los Angeles, Cal., first in charge of location and, later,
of construction. Mr. Veuve handled much of the extensive develop-
ment work required in the construction of the Company's inter-urban
system. In addition to the railroad lines, this work covered a wide
field of engineering and construction.

In 1908, further extensions of the Pacific Electric Railway having
been discontinued, Mr. Veuve resigned and went into private practice
as Consulting Engineer, with offices in Los Angeles. He was engaged
in this practice at the time of his death, which occurred very suddenly
and unexpectedly on March 25th, 1917, from cardiac asthma. During
the last two years of his life, he had been associated with the writer,
under the firm name of Veuve and Strong. As a Consulting Engineer,
Mr. Veuve's practice covered a wide field, though, in the main, it
was connected with the preliminary investigations of electric railway,
hydro-electric, and irrigation projects, much of which was of a con-
fidential character. His ability in this field was well known, and his
loss will be felt by an exceptionally large circle of friends and business
associates.

• Memoir prepared by A. M. Strong, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.



MEMOIR OF ERLE LEROY VEUVE 1785

On October 27th, 1908, Mr. Veuve was married to Miss Anna M.
Heim, of Santa Rosa, Cal. He is survived by his vpidow, his mother,
a son, and a daughter.

Mr. Veuve was elected a Junior of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on September 3d, 1901, and a Member on February 2d, 1909.
He was also an Associate Member of the American Institute of Elec-
trical Engineers, a member of the Engineers and Architects Associa-
tion of Southern California, and of the Jonathan Club, of Los
Angeles, Cal.



1786 MEMOIR OF THEODORE VOORHEES

THEODORE VOORHEES, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died March 11th, 1916.



Theodore Voorhees, eldest son of Benjamin F. Yoorhees and
Margaret E. Sinclair, was born in New York City on June 4th, 1847.
Mr. Voorhees was a direct descendant in the male line from Stephen
Coert Van Voorhees, who came to America from Holland, settling at
Flatlands, Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1660. His mother was of Scotch
parentage, the Sinclairs having come to America in 1835.

He received his education at Anthon's Grammar School, New
York City, Columbia University (where he entered the class of 1868,
but left in full standing in 1866), and the Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute, at Troy, jST. Y., which he entered in 1866 and from which he
was graduated in June, 1869. One month later Mr. Voorhees entered
the service of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad, as
Engineer on the extension from Great Bend to Binghamton. So suc-
cessful was his work and so progressive were his methods, that in less
than 2 years he was made Superintendent of the Syracuse, Bingham-
ton and Oswego Division of this railroad. He held this position for
2 years, and then returned to the Engineering Department of the
main road, with headquarters at Scranton, Pa.

Although the love of engineering was undoubtedly responsible for
this move, Mr. Voorhees' ability as an operating official, which con-
tinued throughout his life, had already developed, and this drew him
into the Transportation Department of the Delaware and Hudson
Canal Company, in December, 1874. Three months later he was made
Superintendent of the Saratoga and Champlain Divisions, a position
which he held for more than 10 years. He resigned on October 20th,
1885, to become Assistant General Superintendent of the New York
Central and Hudson River Railroad. On March 1st, 1890, Mr. Voorhees
was made General Superintendent of this road, and, in 1891, was also
appointed General Superintendent of the Rome, Watertown and
Ogdensburg Railroad Company. While General Superintendent of
the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad he saw his road
adopt the controlled manual block signal system on its main line
from New York City to Buffalo, N. Y. This was one of the most
radical advances in railroad signal practice up to that time. At
about the same time (1891), the New York Central put on the
Empire State Express, with the phenomenal run of 440 miles in 8
hours, or 55 miles an hour. Mr. Voorhees was the operating head of
this achievement, which advertised the New York Central all over
the world.

• Memoir prepared by Samuel T. Wagner, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



MEMOIR OF THEODOEE VOOEHEES 1787

Largely on account of his combined ability as a railroad engineer
and operating official, he was made Vice-President of the Philadelphia
and Reading Railroad on February 1st, 1893.

He was called to his new duties when but 46 years of age, and at
a most critical period of the railroad's history. Emerging from a
state of financial depression, after having passed through several re-
ceiverships, the road was in a condition of physical disability. So bad
were the conditions financially that, in 1896, the property was sold
under foreclosure proceedings. Mr. Yoorhees was the operating head
during these troublesome times, and was one of the foremost factors
in the development of the property of the company. This development
was entirely intensive, as the following figures will show :

1893. 1915.

Mileage 1 170 1 120

Revenue ton-mileage 1 739 000 000 3 141 026 000

Passenger mileage 240 488 000 360 468 000

Earnings $22 986 000 $46 715 000

These figures show a great development in the freight service, but
Mr. Voorhees was also instrumental in perfecting the passenger serv-
ice, and this will always remain as a monument to him. On May 8th,
1914, he was elected President of the road, succeeding the late George
F. Baer.

He was also President of the following subsidiary railroads :
Philadelphia, Newtown and New York; Philadelphia and Reading
Terminal; Philadelphia and Chester Valley; Philadelphia, Harris-
burg and Pittsburgh; Tamaqua, Hazelton and Northern; Reading,
Marietta and Hanover; Dauphin and Berks; Philadelphia and Frank-
ford; Schuylkill and Lehigh; and the Williams Valley.

He was a Trustee of his Alma Mater, the Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute, a member of the Holland Society of New York, the Century
Club of New York, and St. Nicholas Society of New York; the Hunt-
ington Valley Country Club, Racquet Club, Philadelphia Club, and
Automobile Club of Philadelphia. He was also a member of Psi
Upsilon Fraternity.

One of the honors conferred on Mr. Voorhees was his election to
the Vice-Presidency of the American Railway Association in 1904.
He was also a Director of the Market Street National Bank of
Philadelphia.

He was married, on September 19th, 1871, to Sarah V. Gould,
daughter of Judge George Gould, of Troy, N. Y. She died on
August 7th, 1872, and on February 4th, 1874, in Syracuse, N. Y., he
married Miss Mary E. Chittenden, and is survived by a brother and
by his widow, five sons, and three daughters.



1788 MEMOIR OF THEODORE VOORHEES



It has been said of him:



"Theodore Voorhees belonged to a good school of railroad men.
He had a conscience and he had ability. Regarded by many as cold
and unapproachable, he was, nevertheless, extremely well qualified to
solve all those larger transportation problems which in recent years
have vexed the public mind. The dead President of the Philadelphia
and Reading Railway was one of these, and an important one, who
helped raise the Company from a condition of financial weakness into
a state of affluence. By doing that he, with his associates, made their
railroad of infinitely greater service to the country it serves than it
had ever been during its years of financial ill luck. Mr. Voorhees
knew railroading through and through, knew what it had to do to
meet popular support and what it had to do to maintain its own self-
respect and ability to serve. Alert and keen, industrious and honest,
intelligent and full of courage, he could not fail in this generation of
vast business development to rise to one of the conspicuous railroad
positions of the world."

Another said:

"As a man, there is much to be said of Mr. Voorhees. Of austere
presence and striking personality, he commands the respect and esteem
of all who come in contact with him. He is a man of very few words.
He has always time to listen, and treats his subordinates with the
utmost courtesy and respect. His friends all testify to his loyalty and



Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 161 of 167)