American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 164 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 164 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ber, 1905, as Instrumentman on electric railway construction at
Sterling, Mass.

Receiving the degree of C. E., in 1906, Mr. Shaw was, for a short
time, in the field office of the Charles River Basin Commission, as
Computer. In November, 1906, he went to Pennsylvania, where he
was employed by the Cumberland Valley Railroad for two months as
Assistant to Crosby Tappan, Construction Engineer. He was then
put in charge of 6 miles of revision work to eliminate grade crossings,
reduce grades, and double-track.

On May 5th, 1909, Mr. Shaw entered the service of the Boston
Elevated Railway Company, imder the late George A. Kimball, M. Am.
Soc. C. E., Chief Engineer. He was employed in the Cambridge Office
of the Bureau of Elevated and Subway Construction, first as Com-
puter and Checker, and, later, as Assistant Engineer during the con-
struction of the Main Street Subway. In the latter position, Mr.
Shaw was engaged on the design and plans of the Eliot Square Car-
House, Cambridge, including foundations, floor, retaining walls, and
track layout. The Car-House is the Cambridge Terminal of the Cam-
bridge Subway, and consists of a large area of storage tracks, both
covered and in the open, repair shops, etc., for the large cars used in
the Subway.

* Memoir prepared by F. S. Weston, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.



1814 MEMOIR OF WILLIAM THOMAS SHAW

Mr. Shaw was rapidly advancing in his chosen field when, on July
ISth, 1911, just as he was about to sign the plans which he had been
preparing, he was forced to resign on account of pulmonary tuber-
culosis. After seeking to regain his health in various places, he re-
turned to Middleborough, Mass., and built a home adjacent to the
place of his birth, where he continued to make a brave, but losing,
fight against the ravages of the disease, by working in the open air.

He was a clean young man, ambitious, conscientious, with a strong
sense of duty and loyalty; of excellent judgment and clear and orderly
way of thinking. He had that happy faculty of making friends
wherever he went and also retaining them. To the last, he was hope-
ful and cheerful, laying his plans for the future and ever ready to
help others.

On June 30th, 1910, Mr. Shaw was married to Madeleine R.,
daughter of William Scott and Mary (Bryant) Fleming, of Green-
castle, Pa., who survives him.

He was a member of the Boston Society of Civil Engineers and the
Thayer Society of Engineers. He was also a member of the First
Congregational Church, the Masons, and the Sons of Veterans.

Mr. Shaw was elected an Associate Member of the American Society
of Civil Engineers on June 30th, 1910.



MEMOIR OF WILLIAM STUART SMITH 1815

WILLIAM STUART SMITH, Assoc. M Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died November 5tii, 1916.



William Stuart Smith was born in Troy, N. Y., on April ISth,
1856. He was the eldest of three children, and was descended on
both sides from Revolutionary ancestors. His grandfather. Captain
Levi Smith, was a contemporary of Commodore Vanderbilt in the
steamboat business, and his father, William Stuart Smith, was long
connected with the New York Central Railroad. His mother was
Delia Marble Newton, of Bennington, Vt.

He was educated at private schools and the College of Montreal,
and after removing with his parents to Rochester, N. Y., in his seven-
teenth year, he attended the school of Professor George Hale.

Mr. Smith's first engineering work was with a field party during
the four-tracking of the New York Central Railroad. On June 1st,
1876, he entered the ofiice of the City Surveyor, of Rochester, and,
in 1883, he was made First Assistant.

In 1886, he entered the employ of the Warren- Scharf Asphalt
Paving Company, which, in 1900, became The Warren Brothers Com-
pany, of Boston, Mass. Mr. Smith was also District Manager of The
Warren Chemical Company, of New York City, and carried on a
large roofing business. In 1914, he purchased the Western New York
rights of The Warren Chemical Company, and conducted the business
under the name of The W. Stuart Smith Company. He continued
his connection with The Warren Brothers Company, and, at the time
of his death, was a Director and Vice-President of that Company.
Mr. Smith was frequently consulted and generally recognized as an
expert in paving and roofing.

About fifteen years ago he was interested in a plantation operated
by The Indian River Pineapple Company.

Mr. Smith was a man of fijie address and had a lovable personality.
Pie had hosts of friends whom he entertained at his summer home,
Sunny Side, at Pultneyville, N. Y., on Lake Ontario. He was a lover of
fine horses, and maintained a dashing span long after the automobile
had come into vogue.

He was a member of many professional, social, patriotic, and
athletic organizations, a Thirty-second Degree Mason, and a communi-
cant of Christ (Episcopal) Church, of Rochester, N. Y.

On September 4th, 1879, he was married to Minnie Pomeroy
Sackett, of Rochester, who survives him. He is also survived by two

♦Memoir prepared by John F. Skinner, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



1816 MEMOIR OF WILLIAM STUART SMITH

brothers, Charles S. Smith, of Connecticut, and Frederic Levi Smith,
of Rochester, two sons, Captain Lawrence N. and Donald Stuart Smith,
two daughters, Mrs. Marion Elizabeth Stafford, and Mrs. Carol Content
Card, and four grandchildren.

Mr. Smith was elected an Associate Member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers on January 8th, 1902.



MEMOIB OF SAMUEL FOESYTHE THOMSON 1817

SAMUEL FOESYTHE THOMSON, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died January 30th, 1917.



Samuel Forsythe Thomson was born in Charleston, S. C, on June
5th, 1872. His parents were Samuel and Elizabeth Craig Forsythe
Thomson, natives of County Antrim, near Belfast, Ireland, who came
to Charleston at an early age, were married and made their home
there. His father was a prominent merchant in Charleston for many
years, and was well and favorably known throughout that section of
the South, being prominently identified with many of the activities of
his community.

Mr. Thomson first attended a public school in Charleston, and,
after finishing the course there, entered the Charleston High School,
from which he was graduated with honor in June, 1889. A life-long
friend of the family testifies to the fact that he was a favorite alike
with teachers and pupils. He then attended a school at Boylston and
Tremont Streets, Boston, Mass., where he was prepared for a higher
education. Mr. Thomson entered the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology in September, 1890, and specialized in civil engineering.

During the summer vacations of 1891 and 1892 he was engaged on
engineering work with the firms of Aspinwall and Lincoln and E. A,
W. Hammatt, Civil Engineers, of Boston, Mass., and during the
summer of 1893 attended the summer school of the Institute of Tech-
nology at Keeseville, N. Y. In the summer of 1894 he was employed
with John W. Arnold, United States Marshal, of Chicago, 111., and
later for a short period was with the late Col. George E. Waring, Jr.,
in the Department of Street Cleaning, New York City.

During 1895-96 Mr. Thomson took an additional course at the
Institute of Technology in railroad engineering. He was graduated
from the Institute in June, 1896, with the degree of Bachelor of
Science in Civil Engineering.

After graduation he re-entered the service of the Department of
Street Cleaning of New York City under the Commissioner, Col.
George E. Waring, Jr., and until May, 1898, was a member of his
personal staff. During his administration as Commissioner. Col.
Waring gained an international reputation by reorganizing the De-
partment, introducing many reforms, and placing it on an efficient
and business-like basis. Mr. Thomson acted as Chief Assistant to the
Master Mechanic, and had charge under his supervision of the design
and erection of two steel storage dumps, also the general design and
repairs to city property, such as stables, dumps, and scows, and of
snow removal above 59th Street, Manhattan. He also supervised the
introduction of the system of separation of city refuse throughout

• Memoir prepared by Robert Ridgway and George A. Taber, Members, Am.
Soc. C. E.



1818 MEMOIK OF SAMUEL FORSYTHE THOMSON

the entire city, and of the construction and operation of the first cre-
matory used for the economical utilization of city wastes for the de-
velopment of power.

From May, 1898, to April, 1903, Mr. Thomson was the Assistant
to the Professor of Civil and Military Engineering at the United States
Military Academy, West Point, N. Y., and then entered the service
of the Commission on Additional Water Supply for the City of New
York, this commission having been appointed to investigate all
available sources for an additional water supply for the city. Mr.
Thomson was in charge of the New York office of the Long Island
Department, under Walter E. Spear, M. Am. Soc. C. E., which Depart-
ment was engaged in the investigation of the available underground
supply on Long Island.

On July 23d, 1903, he was appointed an Assistant Engineer in the
Engineering Department of the Rapid Transit Railroad Commission,
of New York City, and was assigned to the Fifth Division under
Robert Ridgway, M. Am. Soc. C. E., Division Engineer, on the con-
struction of the rapid transit tunnels imder the East River from
South Ferry, Manhattan, to Joralemon Street, Brooklyn, which tunnels
are now in operation. He had much to do with the triangulation and
other survey work in connection with the alignment of the tunnels,
and for a time was in charge of the general office management of the
Division. He resigned on March 5th, 1906, to accept an appointment
as Assistant Engineer in the service of the Board of Water Supply of
the City of New York, of which J. Waldo Smith, M. Am. Soc. C. E.,
was Chief Engineer, and was assigned to the Wallkill Division of the
Northern Aqueduct Department by the Department Engineer, Robert
Ridgway. The Wallkill Division, with headquarters at New Paltz,
included about 12 miles of Catskill Aqueduct construction, which
aquedi;ct was designed for a daily capacity of 500 000 000 gal. The
most notable feature of construction was the deep rock pressure tunnel,
4.4 miles long, under the Wallkill Valley, this tunnel being located
at a maximum depth of about 520 ft. below the hydraulic gradient.
Other features of construction were the south half of the Bonticou
grade tunnel through the Shawangunk Mountains, about 6| miles of
cut-and-cover aqueduct on the slope of these mountains and on the
east side of the Wallkill Valley, and the blow-oil chamber and conduit
leading from the aqueduct to the Wallkill River. The cost of con-
struction of the work on the Division was approximately $5 500 000.
For a time Mr. Thomson was in charge of the organization of the
division office, and was instrumental in establisliing methods and a
routine which proved to be most efficient in carrying out the work.
Following the transfer to other work of James F. Sanborn, Assoc.
M. Am. Soc. C. E., Division Engineer, Mr. Thomson, on February
1st, 1912, was made Acting Division Engineer in his place, and so
remained until the practical completion of the work.



MEMOIE OF SAMUEL FORSYTHE THOMSON 1819

Of his record on the Wallkill Division, Ralph N. Wheeler, Assoc.
M. Am. Soc. C. E., now in charge of the Northern Aqueduct Depart-
ment, writes :

"His work as an organizer of a working force and of systems of
routine, records, filing, etc., was unusual. In no other division of this
department were records kept so faithfully and well, supplies, equip-
ment, etc., so completely accounted for, and large and small matters
relating to the work so completely recorded. I shall always believe
that this was due very largely to Mr. Thomson's faithful oversight.
His loyalty to his sujjeriors, consideration for his subordinates and in
fact his every-day devotion to his work, even in the small and often
disagreeable details, are the characteristics for which we shall always
remember him."

On June 15th, 1914, he left the service of the Board of Water
Supply and accepted employment with the Kingsbridge Contracting
Company, of New York City, as Civil Engineer. He was identified
with the operations of that company, particularly in the construction
of the large outlet sewer which was built in connection with the
Seventh Avenue Rapid Transit Subway, from that avenue to the
Hudson River, the cost of this sewer being about $500 000. He was
also connected with the construction of the large trunk sewer in East
41st Street, as well as with other projects carried out by that company.

On his return home from the excursion during the Annual Meeting
of the American Society of Civil Engineers, on January 18th, 1917,
Mr. Thomson was stricken with the illness which resulted in his death
twelve days later.

A friend, of many years standing, who knew the personal as well
as the business side of his character, writes :

"To those who knew him intimately many of his finer qualities
were alone revealed. His friendship possessed those priceless and rare
characteristics which endeared him to all who were privileged to be
counted among his friends. Its endurance was unquestionable, and at
all times his active and unqualified support to a friend could always
be depended upon. His sense of honesty was also of the highest
quality. In all his dealings the moral obligation in a business trans-
action was as important and binding to him as any of the legal pro-
visions, and this quality characterized all of his acts through life. He
was in all respects an ideal friend, in the finer sense of the word, and
none could desire or have a better."

Another associate of his in his later work says :

"I consider him one of the finest characters I have ever met. In
the three years of our acquaintance and friendship we were together
considerably during business hours and out of them. At all times
and under all conditions, many of which were often trying, his pleasant
smile and cheery way never left him. He was very careful not to hurt
any one's feelings, and never spoke disparagingly or unkindly of any



1820 MEMOIR OF SAMUEL FORSYTHE THOMSON

person ; he generally had some explanation or excuse for the failings of
the one who might be under discussion and who had not measured up
to the full stature of a man."

Loyalty to his principles and to his friends, honesty, humanity, and
steadfastness of purpose were prominent among the underlying quali-
ties of his nature, and the character built on such a foundation was
one which his friends will long remember with affection and pride.

Mr. Thomson was married on September 29th, 1898, to Miss Jennie
A. Milton of Danvers, Mass., who with one daughter, Elizabeth, sur-
vives him. He was a member of the New England Water Works Asso-
ciation, the Municipal Engineers of the City of New York, and the
Brooklyn Engineers Club. He was much interested in the work of
the Fourth Unitarian Church, of Brooklyn, N. Y., of which he was a
member.

Mr. Thomson was elected an Associate Member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers on January 3d, 1906.



MEMOIK OF GEORGE EDWARD VANSITTART 1S21

GEORGE EDWARD VANSITTART, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.=»^



Died May 14th, 1916.



Major George Edward Yansittart, 13th Battery, 4th Canadian
Field Artillery Brigade, died on May 14th, 1916, from shell wounds
received while on active service somewhere in France.

The only son of John Pennyfather Yansittart, Public Works
Department, India, George Edward Yansittart was born at Mussooree,
India, on October 7th, 1884. He came of a long line of naval and
military ancestors, on both sides. His great-grandfather and his uncle
on his father's side were Admirals in the British Navy, and Bisham
Abbey, in Berkshire, was for many years the home of his great-grand-
father, of which branch of the family he was the last young male repre-
sentative. His great-grandfather on his mother's side was Colonel
Alexander Light who commanded with distinction in India, and else-
where, the 25th Queen's Own Borderers.

George Edward Yansittart came to Canada at an early age, and
was a graduate of the Royal Military College of Canada and also of
McGill University. At the conclusion of his University career, in
1906, he adopted the profession of Civil Engineering. During the
next two years he was employed as Resident Engineer on the con-
struction of the Midland Railway of Manitoba and Assistant Engineer
on the Canadian Pacific Railway Irrigation Project, at Calgary,
Alberta.

In the spring of 1909, Mr. Yansittart was engaged by Messrs.
Smith, Kerry and Chace, Consulting Engineers, of Toronto, Ont., as
Assistant Engineer on the construction work of the Crane Falls Power
and Irrigation Company, of Boise, Idaho. Before severing his con-
nection with this Company to enlist for active service, he held the
position of Yice-President and General Manager.

When the Great War broke out, this gallant officer returned to
Canada and enlisted as a subaltern in the Field Artillery, where his
great ability gained for him rapid promotion, and, in a short time,
he was gazetted as Major and given command of a battery. By the
time his battery reached England, it was considered to be the smartest
and most efficient unit in the artillery of the division to which it
belonged. Decorations and further rapid promotions were prophesied
for Major Yansittart, whose untiring energy, able judgment, and
sound gunnery had impressed every one who came into contact with
his work. A Canadian Staff Officer writing a personal letter said:

• Memoir prepared by F. H. Peters, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.



1822 MEMOIE OF GEOEGE EDWARD VANSITTAKT

"Vansittart is the best battery commander of the outfit, and his
gun positions are the pride of the district. Neighboring artillerymen
are sent down to see them as a model of what gun positions should be.
The enemy have never located them."

Major Vansittart was mentioned in a despatch from General Sir
Douglas Haig, published June 15th, 1916, for gallant and distinguished
service in the field.

George Edward Vansittart was elected an Associate Member of
the American Society of Civil Engineers, on March 5th, 1912. He
was also an Associate Member of the Canadian Society of Civil
Engineers.



MEMOIR OF JAMES MADISOJT WARNER 1823

JAMES MADISON WARNEK, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died March 5th, 1916.



James Madison Warner, a son of the late William H. Warner,
was born at Syracuse, N. Y., on August 4tli, 1882. He was educated
in the public schools of that city, and was graduated from the High
School. In 1902, he entered the University of Illinois from which he
was graduated in June, 1908, with the degree of B. S. in Civil
Engineering.

Prior to entering college and during his summer vacations, Mr.
Warner had been employed by the Chicago and Western Indiana Kail-
road Company as Chainman, Rodman, and Instrumentman on the
work of track elevation into Chicago, 111.

In 1908, he accepted a position as Instrumentman with the Grand
Trunk Pacific Railroad Company, in connection with the grading and
alignment of about 30 miles of track from Winnipeg, Man., west, and
in 1909, he was engaged in the same capacity on track revision and
grade alignment for the Chicago and ISTorthwestern Railroad Com-
pany, at La Crosse, W^is.

Later in the same year, Mr. Warner went to Oralo, Tex., as Resi-
dent Engineer on 17 miles of construction on the Pecos and Northern
Texas Railroad, a branch of the Santa Fe System. On the completion
of this work in 1910, he was transferred to Sweetwater, Tex., where he
had charge of the construction of 13 miles of heavy construction, large
yards, a 600-ft. dam, etc.

In 1912, he abandoned railroad engineering and returned to Syra-
cuse, N. Y., as Chief Engineer of the Onondaga Litholite Comi^any,
of which his brother, Mr. Henry P. Warner, is President. In addition
to his duties as Chief Engineer, Mr. Warner became prominently iden-
tified with the general management of the business until March, 1915,
when he was stricken with appendicitis. An operation followed, but
complications developed which caused his death on March 5th, 1916,
at the Syracuse Hospital for Women and Children.

While at college Mr. Warner had been prominent in student
affairs, and was regarded as one of the most popular members of the
undergraduate body. In his professional and business career, he had
developed those qualities which insure success, and, despite his com-
parative youth, he had already won for himself a leading place in the
industrial activities of Syracuse. His manly qualities of mind and
heart had won for him many friends, and his death was a severe loss
to them and to his family. Mr. Warner is survived by two brothers,

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary, from Information on file at the Society
Headquarters.



1824 MEMOIR OF JAMES MADISON WAENEE

Mr. Henry P. Warner, of Syracuse, N. Y., and Mr. Robert K. Warner,
of Oiiray, Colo., and by two sisters, Mrs. Henry K. Cbadwiek and Mrs.
George A. Hanford, of Syracuse, N. Y.

He was a meraber of the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity, University of
Hlinois Chapter, the Citizens, Onondaga Golf and Country, and the
University Clubs, of Syracuse, N. Y., and Champaign Lodge, B, P. 0. E.

Mr. Warner was elected a Jtmior of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on April 6th, 1909, and an Associate Member on December
3d, 1913.



MEMOIK OF WILLIAM COOPEB CUNTZ 1825

WILLIAM COOPER CUNTZ, Assoc. Am. Soc. C. E.*



Died November 2d, 1916.



William Cooper Chintz, the son of the late Emil A. H. Cuntz and
Frances Cooper Cuntz, was born at Hoboken, 'N. J., on January 21st,
1871. His maternal grandfather, William Cooper, after whom he was
named, was a well-known naturalist and one of the founders of the
New York Academy of Science. His maternal grandmother, Mary
Wilson, was of New England ancestry, going back to the days of the
Pilgrims, and including officers and soldiers in the Revolutionary
Army.

Mr. Cuntz was educated at the Hoboken Academy and at Stevens
Institute of Technology, having been graduated from the latter in
1892 with the degree of Mechanical Engineer. He then became con-
nected with the Pennsylvania Steel Company, of Steelton, Pa., first
with the Bridge and Construction Department, which he represented as
Resident Engineer in Boston, Mass., and as European Resident Engi-
neer, in London, England. In these capacities he rendered many
important services to his Company, notably in connection with the erec-
tion of the North and South Stations in Boston, and in securing the
contract for the construction of the North German Lloyd piers, in
Hoboken, N. J. He afterward entered the Sales Department, serving
as Assistant General Manager of Sales, in Philadelphia, Pa., and,
later, as District Sales Manager, in Steelton, Pa.

At the outbreak of the Spanish- American War in 1898, Mr. Cuntz
volunteered for service in the Artillery. In 1910, he was appointed by
President Taft as a delegate to the International Railway Congress
held at Berne, Switzerland, the present Secretary of the Interior,
the Hon. Franklin K. Lane, being the Chairman of the American
Delegation.

In the same year (1910), Mr. Cimtz severed his connection with the
Pennsylvania Steel Company to become a Director and the General
Manager of the Goldschmidt Thermit Company, of New York City,
which position he held until his death which occurred on November
2d, 1916, at Aubumdale, Mass., where he had gone on a visit for the
benefit of his health which had been impaired by an operation for
appendicitis a year before. Under his management the business of this
Company was not only increased greatly, but equal progress was
made in the technical development of the Thermit process. His wide
experience in the steel industry naturally caused him to take a par-
ticular interest in the manufacture of carbon-free metals, and it is due
• Memoir prepared by W. R. Hulbert, Esq.



1826 MEMOIR OF WILLIAM COOPER CUNTZ

largely to his perseverance and initiative that these metals and alloys
are coming into such general use.

He is survived by his widow, who was Miss Katherine Hughes
Edwards, of Hagerstown, Md., a descendant of Jonathan Edwards, and
by his two children, William Cooper, Jr., and Emil Edwards. He is
also survived by two brothers, John H. Cuntz, of Hoboken, N. J., and
Hermann F. Cuntz, of New York City.

Mr. Cuntz was a member of the following clubs and societies:
American Iron and Steel Institute, Engineers Society of Pennsylvania,
Engineers Club of New York, Railroad Club of New York, Engineers



Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 164 of 167)