with two children, survives him.
He was a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Great
Britain and of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers.
Mr. Browne was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on January 31st, 1911.
MEMOIR OF ANDREW BRYSON 2165
ANDREW BRYSON, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*
Died October 1st, 1918.
Andrew Bryson, the only son of Rear- Admiral Andrew Bryson and
Charlotte Arnold Bryson, was born in New York City, on September
After completing his school life, Mr. Bryson began his engineering
work in December, 1869, as Rodman on the Connecticut Western Rail-
road under the late William F. Shunk, Chief Engineer. Mr. Bryson
remained on this work until its completion, having been, for the latter
part of the time, in charge of a residency.
From December, IStl, to September, 1872, he was engaged on the
New York and Long Branch Railroad as Leveler in charge of a locating
party, and as Division Engineer preparatory to construction, which,
however, was not undertaken at that time. In September and October,
1872, he served as Transitman on the location of the Rhinebeck and
Connecticut and the Walkill Valley (extension) Railroads.
After severing his connection with this work, Mr. Bryson went
abroad and visited England, Scotland, and France, remaining until
July, 1873, when he went to Canada as Leveler on the surveys for the
Missisquoi and Black River Valley Railroad, under Mr. Shunk, Chief
In April, 1874, he was appointed Division Engineer on the Dela-
ware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad under the late James Arch-
bald, M. Am. Soc. C. E., Chief Engineer. Mr. Bryson retained this
position until September, 1878, when he was made Engineer of the
Syracuse and Binghamton Railroad, where he remained until August,
1880. During this time, he was appointed Associate Engineer on a
project for a proposed bridge across the Niagara River at Lewiston,
N. Y., Mr. Bryson representing the American company interested and
the late Joseph Hobson, M. Am. Soc. C. E., the Canadian corporation.
He also designed and superintended the construction of the docks and
coal trestles of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad at
the foot of Erie Street, Buffalo, N. Y.
From August, 1880, to October, 1882, he served as Division Engineer
of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western. Railroad in New York
State, and located and superintended the construction of the Third
Division, including much heavy work throughout the Genesee Valley.
In October, 1882, he was appointed Chief Engineer of the Hartford
and Harlem Railroad and the East River and Connecticut Railroad,
which were to form a proposed new line between New York City and
New Britain, Conn. After the completion of this work in 1885, Mr.
* Memoir prepared from information on file at the Headquarters of the Society.
2166 MEMOIR OF ANDREAV BRYSON
Bryson was employed as Principal Assistant Engineer on the Kings
County Elevated Railway, Brooklyn, N. Y., until 1887, when he opened
an office in New York City and engaged in the private practice of
In 1900, Mr. Bryson went to Reading, Pa., where he was engaged
in the steel industry as President and Treasurer of the Brylgon Steel
Casting Company. In 1905, in order to develop his business and to
have the advantage of sea transportation facilities, Mr. Bryson moved
his plant to New Castle, Del. He continued as its President until 1916,
when the plant was sold to the Penn- Seaboard Steel Casting Company.
From that time until his sudden death from Spanish influenza, on
October 1st, 1918, Mr. Bryson had devoted himself to community inter-
ests. He was intensely patriotic, and had been a leading spirit in the
Liberty Loan and Red Cross drives in New Castle, having served as
Chairman of the Men's Committee during the Second and Third
Liberty Loan drives and had been engaged on plans and arrangements
for the Fourth Loan when he was taken ill.
Cultured, educated, and a man of clear and sound judgment, Mr.
Bryson's opinions in matters pertaining to his profession and com-
munity interests were often sought by others and were always found
to be exceedingly helpful and valuable. He was thoroughly democratic
in his dealings with his fellow men, demanding from them only his
own standards of honesty, uprightness, and patriotism.
Mr. Bryson was a member of the St. Nicholas Club of New York
City, the Loyal Legion, and President of the New Castle Branch of
the Navy League. He was also a member of the Board of Trustees
of the Presbyterian Church at New Castle. In connection with
municipal and Federal ailairs, he was a member of the New Castle
Board of Trade, a commission appointed for the bonding of New
Castle for street paving, the Delaware District Board for the considera-
tion of claims and appeals in the matter of exemptions from military
service, and of the Board appointed by the Government to collect
information concerning the war facilities of manufacturing interests
in his district.
Mr. Bryson was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on April 1st, 1885.
MEMOIR OF EOLLA CLINTON" CARPENTER 2167
ROLLA CLINTON CARPENTER, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*
Died January 19th, 1919.
Rolla Clinton Carpenter was born near Orion, Mich., on June 26th,
1852, His father, Charles K. Carpenter, owned an extensive farm at
that place, and was the Vice-President of a railroad connecting Detroit
and Bay City, which now forms a part of the Michigan Central System.
Rolla Clinton Carpenter's early education was received in the dis-
trict school and in the Pontiac High School, from which he entered
the Michigan Agricultural College, receiving the degree of Bachelor
of Science in 1873. In 1875, he received the degree of Civil Engineer
from the University of Michigan, and then returned to the Michigan
Agricultural College, as an Instructor and Graduate Student, receiving
the degree of Master of Science in 1876., In 1878 he was elected Pro-
fessor of Mathematics and Civil Engineering at the same institution,
and served in this position until 1890.
As his vacations occurred during the winter. Professor Carpenter
spent a part of the time in study at other engineering colleges. At the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology he studied under Professors
Peabody and Lanza. His graduate study was completed at Cornell
University, which conferred on him the degree of Master of Mechanical
Engineering in 1888. His relation as Consulting Engineer to the
Lansing Iron and Engine Company, of Lansing, Mich., placed at his
disposal the facilities of a large and up-to-date manufacturing plant,
which afforded opportunities for investigation exceeding those of any
technical school. He was thus greatly assisted in the preparation of his
thesis on the subject of "Internal Friction in ISTon-Condensing Engines."
The late Robert H. Thurston, M. Am. Soc. C. E., then Dean of Sibley
College, read a paper on this thesis before the American Society of
Mechanical Engineers, and, in his discussion, showed that Professor
Carpenter's investigations played an important part in changing ideas
then prevalent about steam engine friction.
In 1890, Professor Carpenter was called to Cornell University by his
election as Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering in Sibley
College. The mechanical laboratory work was then organized as a
separate department under his direction, and, during the next five years,
the equipment of the laboratories was rapidly enlarged. Professor
Carpenter's intimate relation with various industrial enterprises
peculiarly fitted him for the development of a course of instruction
in Experimental Engineering. His success in this respect had a pro-
nounced influence on similar courses in other engineering colleges,
and on the methods of teaching other sciences. In 1895 he was pro-
moted to a full professorship, and his title was changed to that of
• Memoir prepared by Henry S. Jacoby, Assoc. Am. Soc. C. E.
2168 MEMOIR OF ROLLA CLINTON CARPENTER
Professor of Experimental Engineering. This position he held until
the time of his retirement from active service, in June, 1917.
Professor Carpenter's "Notes on Mechanical Laboratory Practice"
was published in 1891. This work formed the basis of his later book on
"Experimental Engineering", which has been the leading manual on
the subject in the United States. The first edition of his book on
heating and ventilation, entitled "Heating and Ventilating Buildings",
was published in 1895. This book has had six revisions and an extensive
circulation. It contains much original material from the author's
own experience, and is quoted largely by later writers on the subject.
He was a joint author with Professor Diederichs of a text-book on
"Gas Engines." He also made numerous contributions to engineering
periodicals and to the transactions of various societies, notably the
American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the American Society of
Civil Engineers, and the American Society of Heating and Ventilating
Engineers. He was a frequent contributor to The Sibley Journal, of
which college periodical he was an Associate Editor during the entire
period of his official relation to Cornell University.
He was engaged in a diversified field of investigation and research,
which included problems relating to power plants, gas engines, cement
manufacture, coke manufacture, railway management, heating and
ventilating, etc. He was one of the greatest patent experts in the
country, and was employed by many of the leading law firms in various
parts of the United States. He invented a number of pieces of
laboratory apparatus, such as the Carpenter coal calorimeter, which
was for many years a standard for testing the heating value of coal;
the throttling and separating steam calorimeters, extensively used at
pi'esent ; a friction testing machine, which may be found in most of the
large laboratories ; and an inertia governor for the steam engine.
Professor Carpenter had been honored by appointment to various
positions of distinction and trust. He was a judge of machinery and
transportation at the Columbian Exposition at Chicago in 1893, at
the Pan-American Exposition at Buffalo in 1901, and at the James-
town Exposition in 1907. He was a member of the commission
appointed by the Academy of Science in 1915, at the request of the
President of the United States, to investigate the slides at the Panama
Canal and to make such recommendations as in the judgment of the
commission would improve the conditions and lessen the possibilities
of slides in the future. In 1907, the Michigan Agricultural College
conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Laws.
He was a member of eight of the leading engineering societies of
America; during 1908-11, he was Vice-President of the American
Society of Mechanical Engineers, and had served on various commit-
tees, the most important service perhaps being rendered on the Boiler
Code Committee. He was President of the American Society of
MEMOIR OF ROLLA CLINTON CARPENTER 21G9
Heating and Ventilating Engineers in 1898, Vice-President of the
American Society of Automobile Engineers in 1910-12, and he had
taken an active interest in the student branch of the American Society
of Mechanical Engineers at Cornell. He was a member of Tau Beta Pi,
and Sigma Xi, being President of the Alpha Chapter of the latter
society in 1912-13. His relation to social and fraternal societies
included membership in the Engineers' Club of New York City, the
New York Eailroad Club, the Town and Gown Club of Ithaca, Delta
Tau Delta, and the Masonic fraternity.
Professor Carpenter's kindly manner and genial disposition made
it easy for even the most timid to approach him, and he was never
too busy to be considerate of any one who sought his counsel and advice.
His enthusiasm in original investigation, and his capacity for hard
work inspired his students to a similar attitude and effort. Outside
the University his covmsel was widely sought by the Government, in
large engineering undertakings, and in patent legislation. His col-
leagues in the faculty appreciated his good judgment and his extensive
knowledge of the engineering profession and of human nature. He
was a pleasant companion and a loyal friend. Thus, his influence has
been far-reaching both in engineering education and practice.
At the beginning of November, 1918, Professor Carpenter fell and
fractured his leg, and this confined him to his home. Before this, he had
made his contribution to war work by devoting himself untiringly
to the development of the Liberty motor. This obliged him to travel
extensively, and that is believed to have aggravated a spinal ailment
due to a fall about three years before. He died on January 19th, 1919.
He was married to Miss Marion Dewey, at Greenville, Mich., on
May 25th, 1876. His wife, two sons, and a daughter survive him.
Professor Carpenter was elected a Member of the American Society
of Civil Engineers on April 4th, 1911.
2170 MEMOIR OF CHAELES TITUS CHURCH
CHARLES TITUS CHURCH, M Am. Soc. C. E*
Died August 25th, 1919.
Charles Titus Church, the son of the Rev. Samuel Clemon Church,
D. D., and grandson of Capt. Samuel Church, the pioneer founder
for whom Churchville was named, was horn at Churchville, N. Y., on
October 6th, 1834. His mother, Mary Hall (Bangs) Church, was also
of early JSTew England ancestry — a great-great-great-great grand-
daughter of Edward Bangs, the Pilgrim, who came from England in
the Anne in 1623. She came from Massachusetts to make her home
in Western New York in 1822.
While Dr. Samuel C. Church was pastor of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, in Medina, N. Y., his son, Charles, received his academic
education at the Medina Academy. He then entered Union College,
from which he was graduated, with the Class of 1856, with the title
of Graduate in Civil Engineering and the degree of Bachelor of Arts.
In March, 1857, Mr. Church went to Iowa and served as Rodman
on the preliminary surveys for a railroad from Dubuque to Anamosa.
In June, he became interested in the proposed improvements for
using the water power on the Illinois side of Rock Island, but after
he had designed the masonry dams, etc., the plans for this enterprise
In 1859, Mr. Church became a teacher in charge of a graded school
at Port Byron, 111., and, from 1861 to August, 1862, he was Superin-
tendent of the public schools of Rock Island, 111. From August, 1862,
to July, 1864, he was engaged "in land operations" with an office at
In July, 1864, he went to Colorado in the employ of a gold mining
corporation, and made topographic surveys of the mountain passes
at the head-waters of the Arkansas, South Platte, and Blue Rivers
and reaching over the Great Divide to the Pacific Slope. A portion
of this survey was afterward used by the Pacific Railway's explorers.
Mr. Church then returned to Illinois where he remained during Octo-
ber and November, going East in December to New York City to
complete the maps of the survey, which were turned over to the
Copalinshe Mining Company.
In July, 1866, he was employed as Mining Superintendent by the
Champion Silver Mining Company and, in its interests, went, via the
Isthmus of Panama, to San Francisco, Cal., and thence to Silver
Peak, Nev. He made a thorough examination and a report of the
Company's property at Silver Peak, but the owners decided to defer
mining operations, and Mr. Church returned to New York City.
* Memoir prepared from Information on file at the Headquarters of the Society.
MEMOIR OF CHARLES TITUS CHURCH 2171
From 1867 to 1869, he served as Agent for the American Tunnel
Machine Company, directing the operation of the draftsmen and
model maker. In the meantime, in November, 1868, he returned to
railroad work, as Transitman on a preliminary survey for the Lake
Shore Railroad from Middletown to Willimantic, Conn.
In March, 1869, he was appointed as Transitman on preliminary
surveys for the New York, Ontario, and Western Railroad in Delaware
and Sullivan Counties, New York State. In September of that year,
he was made Assistant Engineer on Construction of the same road,
which position he held for three years until the track was laid and
the work completed.
In 1873, Mr. Church was engaged with the Central Railway Con-
struction Company, of New York City, as Draftsman and Office
Engineer, and from January, 1874, to May, 1875, he served as Clerk
in the "eastbound" office of the Erie Railroad Company at Long
Dock, Jersey City, N. J.
In May, 1875, he was appointed Assistant Engineer on the Lake
Ontario Shore Railroad, in charge of construction through Oswego,
N. Y. This work consisted of carrying a railroad bridge across the
Oswego River and out to the new harbor.
In 1876 and 1877, Mr. Church was engaged in farming in Michigan
and teaching school in Monroe County, New York State. In Novem-
ber, 1877, however, he went to Boston, Mass., as Office Engineer,
Draftsman, etc., for Col. T. H. Dupuy, Consulting Engineer for the
Boston, Hoosac Tunnel, and Western Railroad Company, which
position he retained until 1880.
From August, 1880, to the fall of 1881, he was engaged on the
location and construction of the Saratoga Lake Railway as Assistant
Engineer and Acting Chief Engineer, respectively, and, from that
time, until October, 1882, he served as Chief Engineer of the Boston
Hoosac Tunnel Railroad.
From 1882 to 1886, Mr. Church was employed as Chief Engineer
on the surveys, betterments, etc., for the Lebanon Springs Railroad,
leaving this position to engage on location surveys for the Housatonic
and Northern Railroad from the State Line, on the Boston and
Albany Railroad, to Benniftgton and North Bennington, Yt.
In 1887, he served as Chief Engineer on the location and con-
struction of a railroad from Derby to Botsford, Conn., in the interest
of the Housatonic Railroad Company, and, in 1888 and 1889, he was
engaged in the private practice of engineering, with an office at
Saratoga Springs, N. Y.
From March to July, 1890, Mr. Church was employed as Assistant
Engineer by the Lehigh Valley Railway Company on construction
covering the crossings of the Genesee River and Oatka Creek, and
from October, 1890, to October, 1892, he served as Civil Engineer for
2172 MEMOIR OF CHARLES TITUS CHURCH
the Retsof Mining Company on mine surveys, mapping, and railroad
construction connecting the mine with the Delaware, Lackawanna,
and Western Railroad, as well as with several other railroads near
Caledonia, IST. Y.
From October, 1892, to July, 1895, Mr. Church was employed as
General Freight and Passenger Agent of the Genesee and Wyoming
Valley Railroad Company, and from that time until 1899, he was
engaged in private practice, surveying, mapping lands, etc.
In the meantime, his family had become residents of Geneva,
ISr. Y., and, in 1899, Mr. Church became identified with the municipal
government of that city, serving for two years as City Engineer and
afterward as City Engineer and Superintendent of Public Works
until 1912, when he resigned and retired from active work. He con-
tinued his residence in Geneva where he died on August 25th, 1919.
He is survived by a nephew and several nieces.
Mr. Church was married, in "New York City, on August 26th,
1873, to Miss Frances Ajm Van Zandt, daughter of Beekman and
Frances Susanna (Van Buren) Van Zandt. Mrs. Church died on
October 14th, 1910.
Mr. Church was thorough and accurate in all his work and under-
takings, as thorough in his reading as in other things, a reader
of many books, papers, and magazines, and interested in events
of the day to the very last. Hospitable, gallant, suave — something
of the type of the "old-school gentleman" — with an excellent memory,
keen wit, and remarkably lucid expression of his thoughts or opinions,
Mr. Church was a delightfully entertaining host; but he did not care
to visit his club or other places where men usually gather; he liked
the quiet of his home. He was a member of the University Club, 'the
Elks, and the Masons, but never held office in any of them. He was
a Vestryman of Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church, in Geneva,
IST. Y., from 1894 to 1917, and for some years served as Clerk of the
Mr. Church was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on May 1st, 1889.
MEMOIR OF HOWARD LINCOLN COBURN 2173
HOWARD LINCOLN COBURN, M. Am. Soc. C. E*
Died June 18th, 1918.
Howard Lincoln Coburn was born on January 13th, 1867, at Pat-
ten, Me., the son of America Thayer Goburn, a merchant of that
town, and Annabelle (Tine) Coburn, of Lee, Me. He attended the
schools of Patten and entered the Massachusetts Institute of Tech-
nology in 1883 as a member of the Class of '87.
When he had completed two years of his course in Mechanical Engi-
neering his father met with reverses in business and Mr. Coburn
promptly withdrew from college and went to work. He entered the
office of Mr. Charles Carr, a mill engineer, of Boston, Mass., with whom
he spent most of his time during the ensuing ten years, designing
buildings and equipment for New England cotton mills.
After ten years in business, Mr. Coburn re-entered the Massachu-
setts Institute of Technology in 1896, and was graduated in 1898 with
the degree of S. B.
Again taking up mill construction, he spent two years in the office
of the late E. D. Leavitt, M. Am. Soc. C. E., of Boston, and then be-
came connected with the firm of Lockwood, Greene and Company, with
which he spent ten years, and rose to be Chief Engineer.
In 1905 he began the work which has made his name most familiar
to the Engineering Profession, and to it he continued to devote his
talents up to the time of his death. He joined the newly organized
Ambursen Hydraulic Construction Company, as Chief Engineer. In
the following years, he was responsible for the construction of more
than one hundred reinforced concrete dams and hydro-electric develop-
ments. His work covered nearly every State in the Union, and included
many installations in Canada and the West Indies. Some of his
biggest and best known works are the Guayabal Dam, for the Porto
Rico Irrigation Service, the Bassano Development, for the Canadian
Pacific Railway, in Alberta, Canada, the Ozark Dam on the White
River, in Missouri, and the La Prele and Shoshone Dams, in Wyoming.
Mr. Coburn made studies of nearly every important river in the
United States. At different times he acted as Consulting Engineer
to H. L. Doherty and Company, H. M. Byllesby and Company, and
other prominent banking houses.
He was a man of unusually attractive personality and had a host
of friends, all of whom knew him and loved him as "Pa" Coburn. He
was a man to whom other men — especially young men — instinctively
went for advice and help, and they always got what they needed. His
habit was to be perfectly frank at all times on every subject, but his
sympathy and generosity were never failing.
* Memoir 'prepared by Spencer W. Stewart, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.
2174 MEMOIR OF HOWAED LINCOLN COBURN
In all his relations, professional and personal, Mr. Coburn's pre-
dominant characteristic was absolute sincerity. There was not a square
inch of veneer on him, and there was never a doubt of where he stood
on any subject. His professional opinions were bluntly stated, and
were not subject to review for any consideration, commercial or
Mr. Coburn was never married. He is survived by three sisters, Mrs.
A. W. Sampson of Rochester, N. Y., Mrs. Charles A. Byram of Patten,
Me., and a third who lives in California.
He was a member of the Ajnerican Society of Mechanical Engi-
neers, and of the Engineers and Technology Clubs of New York City,
and the Engineers Club of Boston. He was a life member of Aberdour
Lodge, A. F. and A. M., and Aleppo Temple, both of Boston.
Mr. Coburn was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on March 5th, 1912.
MEMOIK OF WILLIAM WATSON COE 2175
WILLIAM WATSON COE, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*
Died March 31st, 1920.
William Watson Coe was born in Bethlehem, Conn., on N^ovember
19th, 1846. He began his studies preparatory to entering the Engi-
neering Profession when he was about fifteen years old. He first made
Charles Town, W. Va., his home in 1872, having gone there in con-
nection with the first projection of the Shenandoah Yalley Railroad.
Mr. Coe began his professional career in 1866-67, when he held
the position of Rodman to Topographer on the surveys for the Dutchess
and Columbia Railroad. From 1868 to 1871 he was, first, Rodman and,