RICHARD H. HAGELIN.
Lincoln has always been distinguished for the high rank of her bench and
bar. Among her lawyers are those capable of crossing swords in forensic combat
with the most distinguished lawyers of the country. By sheer force of merit
and determination, Richard H. Hagelin has won a creditable place among the
lawyers of Lincoln, where he has practiced contiiluously since 1S96, removing
to this city from Laurel, Nebraska.
He was born in Rock Island. Illinois, and comes of Swedish ancestry, his
parents being Gustave and Margaret (Ander-son) Hagelin, who were born,
reared and married in Sweden. They crossed the Atlantic about the time of
the Civil war and after a short residence in Quebec, Canada, made their way to
to Chicago and thence to Rock Island, Illinois, while in 18S1 they became resi-
dents of Wayne county, Nebraska. The father settled on a farm there and
devoted his remaining days to general agricultural jnirsuits. He passed away
in 1S83. His widow long sur\ived him and died in Sioux City, Iowa, in 1012.
In their family were four children, all sons: Charles F., a resident of Arizona;
John A., li\ing in Lincoln; Richard H.; and Fred A., a resident of Idaho.
Richard H. Flagelin largely sj)ent the days of his boyhood and youth on
farms in Wayne and Cedar counties, and in early manhood he took up the
profession of teaching, which he followed for two years in those counties, thus
earning the money which enabled him to meet the expenses of his law course
in the State University. It was in 1897 that he matriculated in the State Uni-
versity and two years later he completed his law studies, winning the LL. B.
degree upon his graduation with the class of 1899. H^ was at once admitted to
the Lincoln bar and has practiced in this city continuously since, making steady
progress. An excellent presence and earnest manner, marked strength of char-
acter, a thorough grasp of the law and the ability to accurately apply its prin-
ciples make him an effective and successful advocate. He is a member of the
LINCOLN AND LANCASTER COUNTY 767
Lancaster County and the Nebraska State Bar Associations, rolilically Mr.
ilagelin is a democrat but does not seek nor desire office, preferring to concen-
trate his energies upon his professional interests, which are of growing extent
GEORGE W. COVEY. M D.
Dr. George W. Covey, of College View, is one of the younger 'representatives
of the medical profession in Lancaster county and is also one of the most
progressi\e and most successful. He was born in Sargent county, North
Dakota, on the 5th of December, 1889, and is a son of Daniel and Mary
(Benedict) Covey, natives of Michigan and Wisconsin respectively. The father
followed the carpenter's trade and also engaged in farming to some extent and
in 1880 went to North Dakota, where he purchased land which he operated for
eighteen years. In 1907 he retired from active life and removed to College
\'iew, wdiere he has since resided. His wife also survives.
George \\'. Covey was reared under the parental roof and as a boy attended
the district scliools of North Dakota. Later he was for two years a student in
Union College at College Mew and for four years in the University of Nebraska.
Having decided upon the medical profession as a life work, he entered the
University of Columbia at New York city, where he completed a medical course
with the class of 1914. Subsequently he spent a year in hospital work at
Omaha and in June, 1915. began the independent practice of his profession. He
has since maintained an office in Lincoln although his residence is in College
\'iew. His ability has gained recognition and he has already built uj) a repre-
Dr. Covey was united in marriage in September, 1909, to Miss Nellie Dymond,
a daughter of William Dymond. The Doctor and his wife have a son, Jack K.,
who was born in February, 1913. Dr. Covey supports the republican party at
the polls and in religious faith is a Seventh Day Adventist. He holds member-
ship in the Lancaster County Medical Association and takes an active part in its
proceedings. He is one of the valued citizens of College \^iew and his personal
friends are many.
C. D. MULLEN.
C. D. ^lullen, secretary and treasurer of the Thompson Hotel Company,
proprietors of the Lincoln and Capital Hotels, has been a resident of Lincoln
since August, 1886, at which time he made his way to this city to become a
clerk in the office of D. E. Thompson, superintendent of the Burlington Railroad.
He was born in the state of New \"ork in 1867 and early took up the task of
providing for his own support. While still engaged in acquiring an education
he clerked in a drug store and afterward began studying telegraphy. Alastering
that task, he was appointed an ojierator and later Idled the position of train
7GS LINCOLN AND LANCASTER COUNTY
dispatcher at Oswego, New York. I'or tlie benefit of his health he went to
Taconia, Washington, and was employed as dispatcher and chief clerk in .the
oiifices of the superintendent of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, there
continning until 1886, when he returned to the middle west, coming, as previously
stated, to Lincoln in August of that year. For five years he continued to occujn'
a clerical position in the ofiice of the superintendent of the Burlington Railroad
but in 1 891 severed his connections with that company and became identified with
the Farmers & Merchants Insurance Company. Later he became vice president
of the company and afterward was chosen its secretary, while subsequently he
assisted in organizing the Columbia Fire Insurance Company, of which he is now
owner in connection with with E. G. Bohanan. These two gentlemen also con-
stitute the Oxford Plotel Company, proprietors of a hotel at Oxford, Nebraska.
In addition Mr. Mullen is secretary and treasurer of the Thompson Hotel
Company, proprietors of the Lincoln and Capital Hotels in the city of Lincoln.
Mr. Mullen was married in 1899 to Miss Margaret English, a native of
Indiana. They are communicants of the Catholic church, and in politics he is
a republican. He has a life membership in the Lincoln Commercial Club and
is deeply interested in all of the work of that organization for the benefit and
upbuilding of the city, cooperating heartily in jilans which are bringing about
Lincoln's improvement and progress.
F. B. SIDLES.
Among the highly esteemed and successful business men of Lincoln is F. B.
Sidles, who is secretary and manager of the German Building & Loan Association
and the German Investment Company and who has proved thoroughly capable
in directing tiie affairs of those companies. A natix'e of Lancaster county, he
was born at Bennet on the 7th of February, 1877, a son of F. A. Sidles, further
mention of whom appears in the sketch of H. E. Sidles elsewhere in this work.
F. B. Sidles attended the public schools in Bennet until he was twelve years
old, when the family removed to Lincoln and he became a student in the schools
here. After completing his secondary work in the high school he entered the
State L'uiversity au-d in 1899 was graduated from the law department. For a
year he was in the office with Walter J. Laml), an attorney, and then formed a
jiartnership for the practice of law with W. L. Browne, with whom he was
associated until 1906. During the two following years he practiced alone but in
1908 he aided in organizing the German Building & Loan Association and
became secretary and manager of the company. He has since held those offices
and the prosperity which the association enjoys is the direct result of his enter-
prise, business acumen and good management. In 1909 he was one of the
organizers of the German-American State Bank and is a director in that institu-
tion. In 1910 the Germany Investment Company was organized and he is now
serving as its secretary and manager.
On the 19th of February, 1902, Mr. Sidles was united in marriage to Miss
Birdie M. Brown, who was born in Falls City, Nebraska, and is a daughter of
LINCOLN AND LANCASTER COUNTY 769
Joseph S. and Susan Brown, now residents of Seattle, Washins,'ton. Two
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Sidles, namely, Philip L. and (iladys E.
Mr. Sidles is a communicant of St. Mark's Reformed chtureh. fraternally is
a Scottish Rite Mason and is also identified with Rotary and Commercial Clubs,
whose plans for the business advancement of the city meet with his hearty
support. Me has passed his entire life in Lancaster county and has thoroughly
identified his interests with those of the county.
C. 1'. CILARLTOX, M. D.
Dr. C. P. Charlton, now engaged in practice in Palmyra, Nebraska, was
born in Fillmore county, this state, on the 12th of February, 1SS7. and he is
a son of Charles Charlton, who was born on the ocean while his parents were
crossing to the United States. AlunU the time that the father attained his
majority he caiue to Nebraska and took up a homestead in Fillmore county,
where he lived for a numljer of years. At length he removed to r>ennet and
nou- makes his home with our snfiject. The mother, who bore the maiden name
of Waitie S. Thurlow. was born in ^Liine and has passed away.
C. P. Charlton was reared under the parental roof and attended the public
schools in Fillmore county until he completed the work of the eighth grade.
The family then removed to Lincoln and after graduating from the high school
there he entered the State University, also at Lincoln. His professional train-
ing was received at the Chicago College of Physicians and Surgeons, from
which he was graduated in 1913. In July, of that year, he came to Bennet and
opened an office for the practice of his profession He soon demonstrated his
ability and gained the confidence of his colleagues and of the general public.
He is careful in diagnosis and his treatment is progressive and up-to-date, as he
keeps in touch with the advancement that is constantly being made in the medi-
cal profession. He is now residing in Palmyra, Otoe county.
Dr. Charlton is a democrat and takes the interest of a good citizen in jniblic
affairs, but has never lieen an aspirant for office. Fraternally he belongs to
Lodge No. <;4, A. F. & .-\. M.. of P.ennet. and in all relations of life he is guided
by high principles. He has not only gained a gratifying measure of professional
success in a comparati\ely short time, but he has also made many warm per-
sonal friends in the community where he now resides.
GEORGE E. MOORE.
George E. Moore, one of the well-to-do and successful farmers of North
Bluff precinct, was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, on the 15th of August,' 1893,
and is a son of John II. and Jessie (Briggs) Moore. The father was born in
Williamstown, Illinois, on the 3d of December, 1S54, and the mother's birth
occurred in Briggsville, Massachusetts, on the 19th of October, i.%2. John
H. INIoore was graduated from the Illinois Wesleyan University at Blooming-
770 LIN'COLX AND LANCASTER COUNTY
toil and located for the practice of law in Lincoln, Nebraska. About 1883
he became cashier of a bank in Red Cloud,- Nebraska, and continued in that
capacity until 1S88. He then disposed of his interest in the bank and went
to Omaha, where he turned his attention to the farm loan business and also
resumed the practice of law. He only remained there a short time, however,
returning to Lincoln, where he still lives. He places farm loans and has jjroved
very successful in that connection. He is also vice president of the Martel
State Bank at IVLartel, president of the Marte! LiHiiber Company and the owner
of valuable land in Lancaster county. He belongs to a Masonic lodge in Lin-
coln and is a member of St Paul's Methodist Episco])al church. In politics he
is a republican. To him and his wife have been born seven children, namely :
Jessie, the wife of Frederick ^L Sanders, who is secretary of the Bankers Life
Insurance Company at Lincoln; Margaret E., the wife of Floyd B. Coleman, who
is farming near \\'averly and is also a carpenter and contractor; William H. H.,
who is assisting his father in business ; George E. ; and Eugene J., John B. and
Helen B., all at home.
George E. Moore attended the w-ard schools of Lincoln and sui>plemented
the education thus acquired by study in a business college. When eighteen
years old he began farming with his brother and so continued until 1912. when
he began operating a farm in Waverly precinct independently. Two years
later he removed to his present farm of one hundred and si.xty acres on section
23, North Bluff precinct. He raises grain and stock and has never had occasion
to regret has choice of an occu])ation as he has found general farming both
profitable and congenial.
Mr. Moore is a republican in his political belief but has never been an
as])irant for office. He is not associated with any lodges or societies, and does
not take an active part in public affairs, preferring to concentrate his entire
time and energies upon his farm work, which he manages in a systematic and
highlv efficient manner. He is one of the youngest farmers in the county and
promises to become one of the most successful.
PAUL E. \\"ARNER.
Paul E. Warner, who has resided Ujion his jireseiU farm in \\'a\x-rly pre-
cinct since 1910, was born in Rock Creek precinct, Lancaster county, on the
7th of June, 1880, a son of Swan and Alida S. ( Floodman ) \\'arner. both
natives of .Sweden. They arrived in .\merica in 1868 and took u]) their resi-
dence in Illinois, whence in 1871 they came to Lancaster county, Neliraska.
The father has gained a gratifying measure of success as an agriculturist and
now owns five hundred and sixty acres of valuable land, from which he derives
a handsome income.
Paul E. Warner, the fifth in order of birth in a family of thirteen children,
received his education in the schools of district No. 29, Rock Creek precinct,
and as a boy and youth became thoroughly familiar with agricultural work, as
he aided his father with the operation of the home farm. He determined to fol-
low tlie occupation to which he had been reared and in 1907 purchased his
LINCOLN AND LANCASTER COUNTY 771
present farm, which comprises one hundred and sixty acres in W averly pre-
cinct. The land is fertile, the improvements are modern, and everything about
the farm is kept in excellent condition, which adds appreciably to its value. He
concentrates his energies upon the cultivation of the soil and the raising of
stock and is already in comfortable circumstances, although yet a young man.
He owns stock in the elevator at Waverly and is a member of the Farmers Co-
operative Association of that town.
Mr. Warner is independent in politics, refusing to follow the dictates of a
party leader, but rather supporting the candidate whom he deems best fitted for
the office, irrespective of his political allegiance. His life has been characterized
by energy, good business judgment and progressiveness, and his continued suc-
cess seems assured. He has passed his entire life in Lancaster county and has
a wide circle of friends and acquaintances here.
HENRY \V. HUNT.
Henry ^^'. Hunt, an efficient and highly esteemed farmer of North Bluff
precinct, was born eight miles north of Lincoln on the 3d of November, 1877.
His father, Ira J. Hunt, was born in Ohio and turned his attention to farm-
ing when a young man, but at the time of the Civil war put aside all personal
considerations and enlisted in an Iowa regiment for service at the front. He
remained in the army until the close of hostilities and was fortunate in that he
escaped being wounded. After receiving his honorable discharge from the army
he came to Nebraska and for some time worked for others in the vicinity of
Lincoln. While so employed he set out trees on what is now the state farm.
At length he homesteaded a tract of land north of University Place, upon which
the ice house now stands. Later he bought the farm on which our subject's birth
occurred and for ten years he concentrated his energies upon the operation of
that place. He later removed to Otoe county, Nebraska, but only remained
there two years. He then returned to Lancaster county and for about twenty-
five years engaged in ojierating a farm north of Havelock. At the end of that
time he disposed of his place and went to the Soldiers Home at Milford, where
he is still living. His wife, who was a native of Yorkshire, England, died in
lanuary, 1906. To them were born eleven children, all of whom are living and
of whom our subject is the fifth in order of birth
Henrv \Y. Hunt received his early education in a schoolhouse located on
Little Salt creek, and also went to school at .\rbor. this state. He remained
under the parental roof until he was twenty-three years of age, but for two
years previous to that time had operated rented land. On leaving home he
went to Lincoln, where he was in the employ of a lumber company and the
L'nion Coal Company for a year. He remained in that city for another year,
but at the end of that time again turned his attention to farming, renting land
two miles north of Arbor, in North Bluft' precinct, for one year, after which
he removed to a farm three miles west of his present location. There he
resided for several years, proving very successful in the management of his
affairs. In January, 1908. however, he located on his present farm, which con-
772 LINCOLN AND LANCASTER COUNTY
sists of eighty acres of highly improved land in North I'.kitf precinct. He also
operates an adjoining eighty acres and finds that when he has cared for his
crops and stoci< faithfully he has little time for outside activities.
Mr. Hunt was married on tlie 13th of November, njOi, to Miss Marion
Cooley, who was born at Louis\ille, Nebraska, and is a daughter of Ashur and
Alpha (Kennedy) Cooley, both natives of Ohio. From that state the father
emigrated to .Michigan and thence to Louisx'ille, Nebraska, where he resided
until he settled in Chase county. For a time after retiring from active life he
lued in Lincoln, but he and his wife now make their home with our subject.
To Mr. and Mrs. Hunt have been born two children, namely: Glenn Arnold,
whose birth occurred on the ist of August, 1904; and Lyle, born August 31,
Air. ilunt is independent in [jolitics and takes the interest of a goo<l citizen
in community ati'airs. Fie has ser\-ed as treasurer of the school board and has
also been president of the Central Farmers Club. His religious faith is that of
the Methodist Episcopal church, and he has been superintendent of the Sunday
school for a number of years. Fraternally he is connected with the Maccabees,
an.d he is popular both within and without that organization. His life has been
characterized by determination and sound judgment ancl through the exercise of
those qualities he has already gained an enviable degree of prosperity.
Thomas Dee, living on section 15, Grant precinct, was born in County
Waterford, Ireland, near Dingarvin, May 17, 1S44. a son of Thomas and
Johanna (Carey) Dee. The father was also born in County Waterford and
obtained his education there in the common schools. He was a laboring man
who spent his entire life in his native county, there passing away in 1854. His
wife always lived in the same locality and her death occurred in 1864.
Thomas Dee was reared in County Waterford, Ireland, and never had the
opportunity of attending school. He has learned life's lessons in the school of
experience and from an early age has been dependent upon his own resources.
In 1861 he came to America, landing at New York city, whence he made his
way to Newton, New Jersey, and in 1862 removed to Illinois, working as a
farm hand near Aurora. Kane county, and afterward in Warren county, Iowa.
In 1886 he removed to this county, settling near Cheney, in Grant jirecinct,
where he rented a farm until 1896, when he invested his savings in one hundred
and sixty acres of land on section 15, Grant precinct. This place he has since
greatly unproved. He has built a new house and barns, has cultivated the
fields and is still active in the work although he employs help to assist him.
On the 26th of June, 1866, Mr. Dee was married to Miss Annie Owens, of
Des Moines. Iowa, who traveled life's journey with him until June 20, 191 1.
She was born in Roscommon, Ireland, in 1840, obtained a common school educa-
tion there and in voung womanhood came alone to America, landing at Boston,
while later she made her way to Iowa, where she became the wife of Mr.
Dee. She was a daughter of Michael and Peggy (Dowd) Owens, natives of
LINCOLN AND LANCASTER COUNTY 773
Irt'land, here they spent their entire lives. Mrs. Dee was laid to rest in the
Lincoln cemetery and her death was deeply regretted by many friends. By her
marriage she became the mother of six children. The first born died in infancy
and :\LTrtin, Thomas and Margaret, the second, third and fourth members of
the family, are also deceased. Jack Michael, the surviving son, is a captain of
the police force in Lincoln. The daughter, Mary Agnes, is at home with her
Mr. Dee belongs to the Roman Catholic church and to the Knights of
Columbus and in politics maintains an independent course. He is recognized
throughout his community as an honest, industrious farmer and is still active,
although now seventy-tvve years of age. Success has come to him because of his
unremitting industry and earnest purpose, and he deserves much credit for what
he has accomplished in that he had no assistance from the time that he first
started out to earn his living.
Captain Jack M. Dee, of the Lincoln police, was born in Warren county,
Iowa, and there pursued his education as a public school pupil to the age of
sixteen years. He took up farming upon his removal to Lancaster county in
1886 and was closely identified with agricultural interests until iQii, when he
removed to Lincoln, being appointed a guard at the state penitentiary. In 1912
he was made a patrolman on the Lincoln police force and his efticient service
led to his promotion to a captaincy in 1914. so that he is now connected with
the police system of the city in that connection.
Captain Dee married Miss Alice Cahill, of Lincoln, in 1908, and now
resides at No. 145 North Eighteenth street. Their religious faith is that of the
Catholic church and the Captain is identified with the Knights of Columbus and
also with the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a popular official, ever alert
to his duty, and his promotion has been well deserved.
CHARLES D. GILLHAM.
Charles D. Gillham, a well known farmer of Waverly precinct, was born
upon the family homestead, which he is now operating, on the 8th of July, 1871,
a son of Charles W^ and Lydia J. (Hart) Gillham, born respectively in Greene
county, Illinois, on the nth of October, 1827, and in Grant county, Wisconsin,
August 15, 1849. The father first turned his attention to farming, but in 1850
went to California and mined there until 1855, -when he located in Lafayette
county, W'isconsin. He followed agricultural pursuits there for a number of
years, but in 1869 came to Waverly precinct, Lancaster county, and took up his
residence upon the farm now operated by our subject. He raised both grain
and stock and gained a gratifying measure of success through his well directed
industry. He passed away on the 6th of October, i8<)2, but is survi\ed by his
wife, who makes her home with her son Charles D.
The last named is the eldest of a family of four children and received his
education in the district schools of Lancaster county. \\"hen he was twenty-
one years of age his father died and he then took charge of the home farm,
operating that place for three years. At the end of that time he removed to
774 LIXXOLN AND LANCASTER COUNTY
a quarter section of land belonging to the estate, but live years later he returned
to the homestead, where he has since resided. He has purchased his brother's
interest in the farm and now owns eighty acres of the place and also operates
eighty acres belonging to his sisters. He makes a business of lireeding Duroc-
Jersey hogs and ships his stock to various other states. He also rasies grain
and seldom fails to harvest good crops.
Mr. Gillham was united in marriage on the 5th of February, 1895, to Miss
Elizabeth Ellen Bainbridge, who was born in England, and is a daughter of
Cieorge and Mary (Tharp) Bainbridge. The father was born in Yorkshire on
the 8th of ]\Iarch, 1840, and his parents were John and Helen (Meade) Bain-
bridge, who passed their entire lives in Yorkshire, \uhere the father engaged