Archibald Allan.

History of Channelkirk online

. (page 34 of 50)
Online LibraryArchibald AllanHistory of Channelkirk → online text (page 34 of 50)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


William of Hartside is styled " William Albus de Herset,"



444 HISTORY OF CHANNELKIRK

" de Hertished," " de Hertishevit," etc., in the charters of
the " Domus de Soltre," from about 1189 till about 125a*
Richard de Hertesheued, presumably son of William,
witnesses to charters ranging between the dates 1238- 1300,
and about the year 1327, in the reign of King Robert the
Bruce, we have the following : —

" Charter whereby Alan de Hertesheued, son and heir
of the late Richard de Hertesheued, grants to Sir Alexander
de Seton, the father, lord of that ilk, that toft and croft and
these two oxgates of land in the territory of Ulkistoun,
which the granter holds of Thomas, the son of William de
Colilau : To be holden, de vie, for payment of one penny
yearly, if asked only, and delivering or paying to the said
Thomas for all services, one pair of gloves or one penny
at the feast of St James the Apostle." i* A renunciation of
ane arent of 4 merkis be Allan de Hartishweid, son of
Richard de Hartishweid, in favour of Mark of Clephane, is
also noted by John, Earl of Lauderdale, as being among
his papers.^: Allan de Hertesheued witnesses in many
charters in the Liber de Calchou (Kelso).

Until the days of King Robert the Bruce, therefore, the
proprietors of Hartside were : —

1. Heden and Hemming (of Norse descent).

2. William DE Hertesheued (aV. 1189— aV. 1250).

3. Richard de Hertesheued {cir. 1238— «>. 1270).

4. Alan de Hertesheued, son of Richard {cir. 1327).

The dates are not those of birth or death, but of charters in which
their names are found.

It has been pointed out that Hartside lands, in the days of
Heden and Hemming, appear to have marched with the
Armet Water on the west. It is a probable confirmation

* Domus de SoUre. f Original Charters, No. gS, vol. i.

X Scotch Acts, vii., p. 153.



HARTSIDE 445

of this that the moss on the tableland of Soutra from which
the Armet rises is called Hens Moss. For just as words
like Wednesday become, in pronunciation, Wensday, so
Hedens Moss, in colloquialism, becomes Hens Moss. Hedeti,
again, is likely to have been short for Healf-dene ; in
Northumbrian, Halfdene, meaning Half-Dane, i.e., of Saxon
and Danish parentage.

Our next view of the lands of Hartside shows them to
be possessed by the House of Seton. The reign of King
Robert the Bruce brought great changes to the landowners
of Scotland. All, or nearly all, who had supported the
claims of the kings of England to the Scottish throne were
forfeited, and at this time the family who so long had held
Hartside from the De Morvilles seem to have shared a like
fate. The Setons espoused Bruce's cause, and were richly
rewarded.

The Setons, as the last quoted charter sets forth, were
first proprietors in Channelkirk parish by possession of
houses and land in Oxton territory (probably Heriotshall
now), granted by Alan of Hartside, who held again from
Thomas of Collielaw. It is now impossible, perhaps, to say
whether Hartside had been purchased by Sir Alexander
Seton, or that the lands came to him through forfeiture of
Alan de Hartside. Sir Alexander was the son of King
Robert the Bruce's sister, and he had, therefore, the King
himself for his uncle, and it is conceivable that where so
many favours were being dispensed to King Robert's
followers, the near connections of the throne would not be
overlooked. We know that in 1342 all Lauderdale was
in the hands of William, Lord Douglas,* who obtained it
through Lord Hugh, who, again, was brother and heir to
* Robertson's Index of Charters,



446



HISTORY OF CHANNELKIRK



the " Good Lord James." Through the Douglasses Hart-
side may have been negotiated to the Setons, who received
the lands of Tranent, Fawside, and Niddrie, which Alan
de la Suche had forfeited. Seton, Winton (Latinised form
of Winchester), and Winchburgh had, of course, been in
their hands for, perhaps, a hundred and fifty years before.

Sir William Seton, who was killed in the battle of
Verneuil, in Normandy, 1424, was directly descended from
two, perhaps three, generations of Sir Alexander Setons, of
whom Alexander Seton, " the father " in the above charter,
was the first* Sir William had an only son, George, who is
the first Seton said to hold Hartside and Glints. Sir
William was created a peer, and was the first Lord Seton.
His son George, Lord Seton, is confirmed by the King in
the lands of " Hertished and Clentis " on 8th January
i458-59.-|* We note that this is the first time we meet
with Glints.

" This Lord George, first of that name, efter the deid of
his first wyf, dochter of the erle of Buchan, mareit the secund
wyf, callit Dame Christiane Murray, dochter to the lard of
Telibardin, qha had na successioun." " And efter that he
had levit lang time ane honorable lyf he deyit, of gud age,
in the place of the Blak freiris of Edinburgh, quhair he
lyis, in the queir of the samin. To quhom he foundit
XX markis of annuell, to be tane of Hartsyd and the
Clyntis." +

His death took place on the 15th day of July 1478. It
is said of him that " he was all given to nobleness." This

* Douglas's Peerage. See also Dalrymple's Annals^ vol. iii. Creech,
Edinburgh, 1797.

f Great Seal.

XHistorie of the Hous of Seytoun, by Sir Richard Maitland, p. 33,
See also Knox's Works, vol. i., p. 238, note.



HARTSIDE 447

gift of 20 merks of annual rent from " the lands of Hertis-
hede and of Clyntis, with the pertinents lying within our
sheriffdom of Berwick," is again confirmed by King James
III. on 14th May 1473.*

The year of Lord George's death brings also into view
the Nether Hartside, which has continued down to our
time ; implying, of course, the existence of Over or Upper
Hartside in 1478. By his second wife, Christian Murray, he
had a daughter named Christian, who married Hugh Douglas
of Corehead, and her father settled on her Clints and a part
of Nether Hartside. Under date 26th January 1478-9, the
King confirms the charter of George, Lord Setoun, " and of
the feu-lands of Hertside," in which he conceded to Hugh
Douglas of Borg, and Christian, his spouse — the lands of
Clentis, extending to 12 merks, and three-fourths of the
lands of Nether Hartside, extending to 18 merks of land, in
Lauderdale, to be held in conjoint fee by them and their
heirs.f

It is also at this time that the name " HarVs-Ziead" begins
to lose that form, and merge into " Hartside," and it must
have been some time before this marriage that the original
" Hartshead " lands were broken up into Over and Nether
Hartside, and Clints, an arrangement which holds down to
the present time. Possibly, at this time. Over Hartside was
in other hands than those of the Setons ; or the other quarter
of Nether Hartside may have been retained for certain
reasons, and thus have begun the division of Hartside into
Nether and Over as separate places. They were for long
afterwards separate properties in separate hands. In 1607,
for example, this quarter of Nether Hartside is owned by
James Lawson of Humbie. He pays 15 marks feu-duty.J

* City Records of Edinburgh. f Great Seal. X Retours.



448 HISTORY OF CHANNELKIRK

The superiority of Hartside seems to have passed
through an important change about this period. It has
been shown that William de Hertisheued, about 1 1 89, held
of Soutra Hospital by charter from the Master and Brethren
there. In 1462 Trinity College was founded near Edin-
burgh, and was endowed with all the belongings of Soutra
Hospital. The superiority of Hartside and Glints seems to
have been transferred with the rest, for these properties are
in the superiority of the city of Edinburgh to this day, and
we are at a loss to know how otherwise they could have
come to be so, unless through this channel. For the Trinity
College ultimately fell into the hands of the Edinburgh
magistrates, with all it held. Our view of the matter is, that
the superiority was in the possession of Soutra Brethren, and
from them, with all Soutra Hospital endowments, it passed
to Trinity College, and so with Trinity College it finally
rested with Edinburgh city.

Hartside and Clints were further fated to fall from the
possession of the Setons. The accession of Queen Mary
to the Scottish throne, together with the troubles of the
Reformation, brought many calamities to the high homes of
the realm. It is needless to say here that the Setons
espoused her cause, and suffered in her downfall. History,
novel and ballad, have said or sung the deeds and disasters
of those of the name of Seton. They were always true to
persons, but not so true to principles. After the battle of
Langside, it was the slaughter of so many of these and their
co-patriots, according to Scott, which induced in her final
despair and abandonment of all her hopes of queenly
honours. " I would not again undergo what I felt, when I
saw from yonder mount the swords of the fell horsemen of
Morton raging among the faithful Seytons and Hamiltons,



HARTSIDE 449

for their loyalty to their Queen — not to be Empress of all
that Britain's seas enclose." * It was at Seton Palace that
she and Bothwell " passed their tyme meryly," two days after
the murder of her husband, Darnley ; it was Lord Seton who,
along with her lover, George Douglas, and a few others
received her as she touched shore on escaping from Loch-
leven Castle, and it was to Castle Niddry, near Linlithgow,
belonging to Seton, where she first fled for safety ; and it
was from that haven of refuge she sent a messenger to the
English Court for help. The Setons of Queen Mary's time
do not, however, stand so high morally as they did as
patriots. Knox says, under the year I559,i" "The Lord
Seytoun, a man without God, without honestie, and often^
times without reasone," " maist unworthy of ony regiment
{^government. Lord Seton was Provost of Edinburgh) in ane
Weill rewlit commun-wealth."

George, the eldest son of George, fifth Lord Seton,
obtained charters of the lands of West Niddrie, Hartisheid,
and Clintis on 6th August 1554.} Hartside and Clints were
incorporated in the barony of West Niddrie, as the following
shows : —

"12 May 1607. — The King concedes to George, Master
of Winton — the Earl of Wintoun, with state and title of the
same, the lands, lordship, and barony of Seton and Wintoun
. . . the lands of Hartisheid and Clintis . . . and which, for
service, etc., the King de novo gives to the said George, ex-
tending to ;^83, old extend, viz., Seton and Winton to ;^I5,
Tranent to ;^20 . . . West Niddrie to ;^38, Hartisheid and
Clintis to ;^5 ... and incorporates the lands of Seton,
Winton, etc., in the constabulary of Haddington, into the

• The Abbot, chap, xxxviii. t Knox's Works, vol. ii., pp. 326, 431.
% Douglas's Peerage.

2 F



450 HISTORY OF CHANNELKIRK

free barony and lordship of Seton . . . and the other lands
he incorporates into the free barony of West Niddrie." *

The Setons have again charters of these lands in 1619, "f*
but after this time we find Nether Hartside and Glints in
the possession of the Riddells of Haining, Selkirk. Over
Hartside is retoured in 1607 as belonging to James Lawson
of Humbie, A sasine, of date 20th March 1641, bears that
Glints of Niddrie, and Hartside, were given and conceded to
John Riddell, The Haining, and formerly to Andrew Riddell,
his father. In an old document belonging to the Kers of
Morriston, which was produced in the teind cases before
the Court of Session at the beginning of this century, and
copied partly into the Decreet of Locality still possessed by
the ministers of Ghannelkirk, it is declared that the " Laird
of Haining" pays teind for "his lands of Nether Hartside
and Glints" in 1632.]: The Riddells of that Ilk, according
to the following, seem to have possessed Hartside before they
were Riddells of Haining. " By decreet of the High Gom-
mission of this date, 22nd July 163 1, recorded in the new
Record (vol. v., p. — ) of this date, 19th December 1787, pro-
ceeding a summons at the instance of John, Earl of Mar, and
Alexander Granston of Morieston, equal heritable proprietors
of the teinds of the parish of Ghinglekirk, against Andrew
Riddell of that Ilk, heritable proprietor of the lands of Nether
Hartsyde and Clintis, it is found and declared 'that the
saidis landis of Nether Hartsyde,' ' may be worthe in yeirlie
constant rent of teynd in tyme coming, six bollis, twa firlottis
victual, twa pairt aittis, and third pairt beir. Lambs with
the wool thereof, estimate to 33s. 4d. by and attour the
vicarage and small teind drawn by the minister allenarlie.' "

* Great Seal. f Ibid.

X Decreet of Locality^ p. 141.



HARTSIDE 451

The mention of teinds leads us to note here that the tenant
of Hartside, Robert Pringle, in 1630 was one of the Sub-
Commissioners who sat in Lauder Tolbooth on the " tent of
December" of that year to adjust the teinds of the district.

The proprietors of The Haining, Selkirk, had long a
considerable stake in Channelkirk parish through the farms
above noted, and those of Collielaw and Airhouse. The
Riddells of Riddell first acquired The Haining in 1625 from
Laurence Scott, a scion of the family of Scotts. Andrew
Riddell, first of Haining, for whom it was bought by his
father, sat as M.P. for Selkirkshire 1639-40.* This is the
"Laird of Haining" of the Decreet of Locality. But his
father, "Andrew Riddell of that Ilk," was the purchaser
also of Hartside and Glints, and these lands must have been
in his right in 1631, at least, if not sometime before that
date. Walter Riddell, kinsman evidently of the Riddells of
Riddell and Haining, possesses at the same time (1631) the
whole lands of Oxton. f It may have been through him that
the "two husband lands of Ugston" (Heriotshall) afterwards
came to be in the "barony of Hartside." :{:

In 1627 the minister notes that " Neather Hairtsyde is
in stok 600 merkes, personage 80 merkis, viccarage 100
merkis. Glints is in stok 500 merkis, personage ^20,
viccarage ane 100 merkis. Over Hairtsyde is in stok 300
merkis, personage 20 merkis, viccarage 40 merkis. §

The successor of the above Andrew Riddell of Haining,
in Hartside and Glints, was John Riddell, The Haining, who
is retoured heir in 1643, ^ri^ died in 1696. || He was well
hated as a persecutor of the Covenanters. He married

* Acts v., p. 96. t Decreet of Locality^ p. 183.

X Sasines, 1728. § Reports on Parishes.

II Retours. See also History of Selkirkshire^ by Craig-Brown.



452 HISTORY OF CHANNELKIRK

Sophia, third daughter of James, the fifth Pringle of
Torwoodlee, who again was brother to Walter Pringle of
Greenknowe, who lodged one night in Channelkirk when on
his way to Edinburgh prison for his zeal in the Covenanting
cause. He owned considerable property on Gala Water,
Bowland, Bowshank, and half of Windydoors, then belonging
to the Riddells. He was M.P. for Selkirkshire in 1655 and
in 1674. He does not seem to have increased the prosperity
of his estates. Perhaps the advent of the Prince of Orange
in 1688 may have shed an adverse influence over his
fortunes. When he was succeeded by Andrew Riddell, his
third son, the last of the Riddells of Haining, he found it
necessary to part with Haining in 1701 to Andrew Pringle
of Clifton, who bought it for his second son John, the Lord
Haining of the Court of Session of 1720. The last of these
Pringles parted with Haining by bequest to Professor
Andrew Seth Pringle Pattison in 1898. He now holds it.
In the year 1650 our own Kirk Records shed light on
the Riddells of Hartside. Among the first entries of that
year is the following : — " Patrick Haitly paid for drinking
and reproaching of Mr Riddell of Hartsyd on the 20th of
June, 56s."* Five years later there is "Robert Halliwell
being to be proclaimed for marrying Jennie Halliwell, con-
signed two dollars that the marriage should be consumat,
and that there should be no promiscuous dancing and
licentious piping, whilk two dollars were delivered to Alex.
Riddell in Hartsyde, July 8, 1655, to be kept till they should
be redelivered." He is noted as keeping the " collections "
all July and part of August of the same year, and in 1663
we find him named as an elder in Channelkirk. Hartside,
indeed, is one of the places in the parish which upheld, before

* Kirk Records.



HARTSIDE 453

this century, a praiseworthy reputation for resident tenants,
who were also esteemed in the church, and took a leading
place in it. It is not unlikely that this Alexander Riddell
was some near relative of the Riddells of Haining. He
and his wife are seised in the lands of Nether Hartside, 5th
December 1657. *

But Clints and Nether Hartside are found in the posses-
sion of John Borthwick, advocate, on 12th April 1659;
afterwards John Riddell of Hayning is seised in the lands
of Clints upon a precept of C.C. "be John Borthwick of
Hartsyde," 12th August 1661, and the latter is again seised
in " Hartsyde and Clints" in March 1665.

Over Hartside is always quite distinct as a property from
these.

On the 2 1 St November 1636 the King confirms the
charter of John Lawson of Humbie, in which he sells to
Master Adam Hepburne, servitor to Thomas, Earl of
Haddington (Lord Binning and Byres), the lands of Over
Hartsyde in the bailiary of Lauderdale. From Sir Adam
Hepburn of Humbie, Over Hartside was acquired in 1642
(13th September date of disposition) f by Mr Henryson,
Kirktonhill, whose family held it until 1754, when it was
sold to Simon Watterston.

The Seatons still held superiority over Hartside and
Clints, and on 12th May 1653 George, Earl of Wintoun,
Lord Seaton, heir male of George, Earl of Wintoun, Lord
Seaton, is retoured " in the lands of Hartisheid and Clints,"
in the barony of West Niddrie. J They were again ratified
to him in 1670. This Lord Seton had the energetic spirit
of some of his forefathers ; he led a stirring life. Succeeding

* General Register of Sasines, fol. 43, vol. xiv. f Locality^ P- 215.

X Retours.



454 HISTORY OF CHANNELKIRK

his grandfather in 1650, he was served heir to his Berwick-
shire property in 1653 ^s above, and also that of Edinburgh,
Haddington, and LinHthgow, and of that in Banff and Elgin
in 1655. In 1654 he was fined i^200 by Cromwell; went to
France, and was at the siege of Bizaulson ; was made Privy
Councillor by King Charles II. ; commanded the East
Lothianers against the Covenanters in 1666 at Pentland ;
and again at Bothwell Brig in 1679, and afterwards enter-
tained the Duke of Monmouth and his officers at Seton. He
died in 1704. He had parted with Hartside and Clints in
1676, selling them to John Hope of Hopetoun, who received
a charter of them in his favour, 2nd February 1677, the whole
property having been resigned by Lord Seaton, 24th
November 1676.* Again, on "7th February 1683, Charles
Hope of Hopetoune is retoured heir male and of line of
John Hope of Hopetoune, his father, in the lands of Hart-
syde and Clints, united with other lands in Linlithgow in the
barony aforesaid."

All hope of the Seatons ever recovering their wonted
grandeur perished in 17 15 when George, the fifth Earl of
Wintoun, having joined the rebels under the Pretender, was
taken prisoner, tried for high treason 15th March 17 16, found
guilty, and sentenced to death. He escaped, and his estates
were forfeited to the Crown. With him sank this noble house,
after proudly maintaining its greatness for upwards of 600
years. The accounts of the sale of the forfeited estates of
Seytoun and Wintoun in 17 16 contain no mention of Hart-
side and Clints.

Prior to the sale of Over Hartside to Simon Watterston
in 1754, t Mr Henryson, Kirktonhill, had granted the feu
right of one half of the lands of Over Hartside in favour
* Great Seal, No. 39, fol. 44a. Retours. t Locality, p. 216.



HARTSIDE 455

of Alexander Dalziel, so that when we reach 1742 we
find " Netherhartsyde and Overhartsyde, belonging to
Alexander Dalziell," pays " four pound twelve shilling "
to the schoolmaster's salary.* In the same year, " dints,
belonging to Mr John Borthwick of Crookston, advocate,"
pays "two pound fifteen shilling and six penies." Clints
has ever since remained in the same honourable connec-
tion. These two heritors of Channelkirk were also elders
in the church there on i6th July 1758. Mr Dalziell
resided at Hartside, and about 1762 was at variance
with his neighbouring farmer of Threeburnford about the
latter's rights to a share of Wideopen Common.*f- The last
notice of him as associated with the Kirk-Session is dated
the 25th April 1773. He is still in Hartside at that
time. He seems to have been a warm supporter of the
church, and seldom missed a meeting of the Kirk
Court. He appears to have left Hartside about this year ;
and that property, after his term, came into the posses-
sion of the Most Noble the Marquis of Tweeddale, the
descendants of whom have ever since retained it. Mr
Dalziell dispones it to the Marquis on the 29th April 1773 •
viz., " Netherhartside and the pendicles thereof, called Long-
cleugh ; parts of Overhartside and Teinds."| In the year
1787, Lord Tweeddale owned in this parish, Carfrae, Midlie,
Fernielees, Hillhouse, Herniecleuch, Hizeldean, Friarsknowes,
Carfrae Mill, and Mill Lands, Nether Hartside, and Nether
Howden. Half the lands of Over Hartside was acquired
later. Such an amount of property in the parish necessarily
constituted Lord Tweeddale its chief heritor, and such a

* Kirk Records.

f " Wideopen " case in Mackenzie's Acts and Decreets, vol. 597.
X Sasines.



456 HISTORY OF CHANNELKIRK

circumstance cannot by any means be considered unfortunate
for all concerned. The greater part of the Tweeddale lands
in the parish came into the possession of the family through
the marriage of John, second Marquis, with Lady Anne
Maitland, only child and heiress of John, first and only Duke
of Lauderdale, who died in 1682. This John, second Marquis
of Tweeddale, was Lord High Chancellor of Scotland, and
took a leading part in carrying through the Treaty of Union
between England and Scotland in 1 707. By so doing, he must
have rendered himself very unpopular among his Lauderdale
tenants and workmen, who then petitioned against the Union,
but time has shown his superior wisdom.* He died in 17 13.
His grandson. Lord Charles Hay, rendered himself famous
in 1745, in the battle of Fontenoy, as the curious may learn
from Carlyle's account of that struggle in his Frederick the
Great.\ The Hays, indeed, have ever been characterised by
high principles and magnanimous deeds. In Church and in
State, in war and in peace, at home or abroad, in palace or
in cottage, their lives and characters have amply maintained
the noble status of their title. The father of the present
Marquis was a grand example of a patriotic aristocrat, using
the word in its legitimate sense. Born in 1787, he joined the
army as an ensign in the 52nd Foot, and was trained under
the famous Sir John Moore. He acted for several years as
Quarter-master General of the British Army, in the Peninsular
War, under the Duke of Wellington, and was one of his most
trusted officers. He was present at many of the battles of
that fierce struggle, and was wounded at Busaco. This
necessitated his being invalided home, but he was too good
a servant to the nation to be permitted to luxuriate among
the pleasant surroundings of Yester, and before he was quite
* Acts xi., 359a. t Vols. vi. and vii. By Index.



HARTSIDE 457

convalescent he was called upon to go out to Canada in 1814
to command the British Army there, during the war with the
United States anent the right of Britain to search American
ships for seamen to serve in the Royal Navy. He was again
wounded there. Returning home shortly after Waterloo, he
married, and retired from active service till he was appointed
Governor and Commander-in-chief in Madras in 1842. He
was there till 1848, when he returned to East Lothian and
gave his countrymen the benefit of his energy in improving
the methods of agriculture. This bore fruit in his being the
first to make drain tiles by machinery, and in inventing a
steam-plough for deep cultivation. He died in 1876, having a
few years before been appointed a Field- Marshal, an honour
which he was well worthy to wear.

The present Marquis is so well known, so widely in-
fluential, and so conspicuous a figure in almost every sphere
of public life, that any notice of him here might seem
superfluous. While he is a power in the great commercial
undertakings of the country, and is the avowed friend of the
National Church, and is held in the highest esteem by all its
members, it is his connection and influence within the parish



Online LibraryArchibald AllanHistory of Channelkirk → online text (page 34 of 50)