Arthur H. (Arthur Haynesworth) Masten.

The history of Cohoes, New York [electronic resource] from its earliest settlement to the present time online

. (page 21 of 30)
Online LibraryArthur H. (Arthur Haynesworth) MastenThe history of Cohoes, New York [electronic resource] from its earliest settlement to the present time → online text (page 21 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


fort of those in its employ.

The depression of the past three years has of course
severely affected the market for cotton cloths and in this
establishment, as in all others of the kind, a general reduction
of wages has been found necessary, though it has not been
so great as those made in other manufacturing towns.
There has, however, been but a trifling reduction in the num
ber of operatives employed, and the mills have almost con
stantly since the panic been running at their full capacity.

The following statistics show the number of operatives
employed, and the amount of machinery in operation at
present:

Operatives. Looms. Spindles.

Mill No. 1, 912 #12 35,800

" " 2, 703 1,038 47,328

" " 3, 1,639 2,654 125,936

" " 4 (Ogden), 403 632 30,276

" " 5 (Strong), 220 330 14,424

Jute Mill, 97 22 850

Bag Mill, 147 62 3,440

4.121 5,650 258,054

During the past year 29,250 bales of cotton were con
sumed, equal to 13,700,000 Ibs., and 5,600 bales of jute,
equal to 2,240,000 Ibs.



1876. HISTORY OF COHOES. 243

The production for 1876 was as follows : 79,500,000 yards
printing cloths, percales, wigans, and jaconets. 600,000
seamless bags, 2,130,000 pounds jute goods, 3,000 bales
cotton batting. The value of the annual production is
estimated at $3,000,000, and the monthly pay roll will
average $70,000.

The present officers are : Wm. E. Thorn, agent ; Robert
Johnston, general manager ; D. J. Johnston, superintendent;
Wm. S. Smith, paymaster.

KNITTING MILLS. The manufacture of knit goods has
always been a distinguishing branch of Cohoes industry.
The first machinery for the purpose was here put in opera
tion, and a factory established, which for many years was
the only one of the kind in the country ; the most important
improvements which have since been made in the process of
manufacture are the inventions of Cohoes mechanics, and
many of the machines in general use among knitting mills
are now constructed here. Though of late years it has been
extensively prosecuted in other towns, Cohoes still occupies
the foremost position in this branch of manufacture. The
factory buildings in this city for substantial construction
and perfection of detail are second to none in the country,
and the goods produced have a wide reputation and com
mand the best markets. It is impossible at present to give
accurately the statistics of production of the seventeen
knitting mills which are now in operation. Since the panic
many of them have been shut down for greater or less
periods, and the number of operatives employed, and amount
of wages paid, have varied; the grade and style of the goods
manufactured have been changed from time to time to suit
the market, so that the amount of annual production cannot
be exactly named ; this of course, in connection with the
fact that prices have been steadily falling, makes it im
possible to fix a definite value on the sales of any one year.
The figures given below represent, in the case of almost
every establishment, an average year s business.



244



HISTORY OF COHOES.



1876.





d

o


d


o


QQ j^

TJ 3







CD


1


M

55-


fl


1




1


1*




1^


be




fl


QQ


-H


M &


R




1


1


1


C


1


The Troy M fg Co.












David Cowee, prest. ; Jno. V.












S. Lansing, treas. ; Jas. L.












Thompson, sec y.


10


229


$5,500


40,000


$275,000


The Root M f ff Co.












Josiah G. Root, prest. ;












Samuel G. Root, supt. ;












Andrew J. Root, treas. and












gen. manager ; Geo. Wa












terman, Jr., sec y.


12


300


8,000


45,000


500,000


J. H. Parsons & Co.












J. H. Parsons, Mrs. L. S. Par












sons, and W. S. Gilbert.


13


300


9,000


45,000


400,000


The Atlantic Mill.












Geo. E. Thompson and John












Horrocks.


6


105


2,700


22,000


145,000


The Ranken Knitting Co.












Geo. Campbell, prest. ; Henry












J. Ranken, sec y. and treas.


7


145


3,500


22,000


200,000


American Hosiery Mill.












Wm. M. Gregory and Jon












athan Hiller.


6


85


2,600


24,000


120,000


The Victor Mill. Henry












Brock way.


6


105


3,000


20,000


150,000


The Empire Mill. Wm. &












Jno. A. Nuttall.


6


90


2,700


20,000


140,000


The Star Knitting Co.












Thos. Coleman, prest. ; R. H.












Thurman, treas. ; O. G.












Clark, ag t.


8


140


5,000


27,000


300,000


The Adams Mill. John












Wakeman.


6


125


4,000


25,000


175,000


The Ontario Mill. Wm.












N. Chadwick, Jos. Chad












wick, P. R. Chadwick.


6


100


2,000


25,000


150,000


The Mohawk Mill. Samuel












Bilbrough.


5


120


3,000


24,000


150,000


TJie Erie Mill.Wm. Moore.


4


75


2,200


17,000


136,000


The Enterprise Mill. John












Scott.


5


110


2,500


20,000


160,000


The Diamond Mill. 3. W.












Himes, A. C. Vail.


6


200


3,000


25,000


150,000


The Globe Mill. Alfred Le












Roy, Jas. Lamb.


6


100


3,500


25,000


175,000


The Pine Grove MilLH.












D. Fuller, Chas. Hay.


6


50


1,500


18,000


100,000



118 2,379 $63,700 444,000 $3,426,000



1876. HISTORY OF COHOES. 245

IKON MANUFACTURE. A large amount of capital is here
invested in different branches of iron manufacture. The
most important interest is the production of axes and edge
tools, which from the foundation of the first factory in 1835,
by Simmons & Silliman, has always been one of the special,
ties of Cohoes. The goods turned out are of the first quality
and have a world wide reputation.

The figures given below in regard to this, and other
branches of manufacture, represent in nearly all cases, an
average business. It is difficult to obtain exact statistics,
for as a general thing, the works are run according to the
orders received, and the production consequently varies
greatly. For the past three years, none of the establishments
have been run at their full capacity.

The Weed & Becker M f ff Co. Officers : Wm. H.
Weed, president ; S. A. Becker, vice president ; Jas. E. Place
treasurer ; C. Riley, secretary. The producing capacity of
the company s works is 100 dozen axes and 75 dozen tools
daily. The value of the annual production is from $200,000
to $400,000, and the average pay roll is $9,000.

Empire Edge Tool Works. M. H. Jones & Co., proprie
tors. The firm consists of M. H. Jones and A. G. Peck.
From 60 to 75 men are employed at a pay roll of $2,000 to
$2,500. The annual production is from 10,000 to 15,000
dozen axes and tools valued at from $75,000 to $100,000.

The Ten Eyck Axe M^fg Co. Jonas S. Ten Eyck, trea
surer. The company employs from 40 to 50 men at an
average pay roll of $1,200. The daily production is 500
pieces, including both axes and edge tools.

The Cohoes Rolling Mill. Morrison, Colwell & Page,
proprietors. The firm manufactures bar and band iron.
About 200 men are employed at a pay roll of $6,000. The
annual production is 6,000 tons of iron at an average value
of $60 per ton.



1 Per month. This is to be understood in the case of each concern mentioned.



246 HISTORY OP COHOES. 1876.

Empire Tube Works. Albert Smith & Co. proprietors.
The firm manufactures gas and steam pipe. About 30 men
are employed at a pay roll of $1,250. Five tons of iron are
used daily. The annual production of the works is 3,000,000
feet of pipe at an average value of $180,000.

Campbell and Glute. The firm manufactures chiefly
knitting machinery. On an average 40 hands are employed
at a pay roll of $2,000. The annual production is valued at
$100,000.

William T. Horrobin. Mr. Horrobin is proprietor of
the Cohoes Iron Foundery and Machine shop. He manu
factures chiefly cotton, woolen and flouring mill machinery,
and architectural iron work. When running full 150 work
men are employed at a pay roll of $6,000, and the annual
production is valued at $200,000. The capacity of the
furnace is 8 to 10 tons per day.

Tubbs & Severson. The firm manufactures knitting
machinery. On an average 15 hands are employed at a pay
roll of $800. The annual production is worth $15,000.
MISCELLANEOUS.

Cohoes Knitting Needle Factory. Henry Dawson and
Chas. Knott, proprietors. The firm employs 1 5 hands. The
annual production is 2,500,000 needles valued at $15,000.

Sash and Blind Factory . A. J. Griffin, proprietor. On
an average 12 men are employed at a pay roll of $600. The
annual production is valued at $30,000.

Cohoes Bedstead Factory. P. S. Holsapple, proprietor.
The articles manufactured are bedsteads, cribs and cradles.
About 25 men are employed at a pay roll of $1,200. The
average annual production is valued at $50,000.

Cohoes Straw Board Co. Officers: T. G. Younglove,
pres t; M. S. Younglove, vice pres t; J. "W. Moore, sec y;
Henry W. Edwards, treas. Employment is given to 25
men at a pay roll of $1,350. The daily production is 5 to
6 tons of straw board, the value of which amounts annually



1876. HISTORY OF COHOES. 247

to between $75,000 and $125,000. During the year 2,500
tons of straw are consumed.

Flouring Mill. Jas. McMartin proprietor. Nine hands
are employed at a pay roll of $450. The annual production
is 40,000 bbls. valued at $280,000.

American Soap Co. Mrs. H. R. Grant, proprietor. Six
hands are employed at a pay roll of $212. The annual pro
duction is 395,000 Ibs. of soap of different kinds, valued at
$21,750.

Cohoes Lime and Cement Co. Officers : D. T. Lamb,
pres t; T. G. Younglove, sec y; D. H. Van Auken, treas.
The company employs 45 hands at a pay roll of $2.000.
Annual production is valued at $100,000.

The Trost and Bezner M fg Co. John T. Saxe, pro
prietor. This establishment manufactures furniture and
fancy articles in wood of various kinds. 50 hands are em
ployed at an average pay roll of $2,100. The estimated
value of the annual production is $75,000.

The Cohoes Warp and Thread Co. Collins Arnold,
treas. About 60 operatives are employed at a pay roll of
$1,400. The annual production is 416,000 Ibs. of hosiery
yarns, valued at $110,000.

Brick Yard. Patrick Rogers, proprietor. Annual pro
duction at present 1,000,000 brick valued at $8,000, but in
a good building season from 5,000,000 to 8,000,000 brick
are manufactured.

Paper Box Factories. Of these there are five, the
proprietors being as follows : Isaac Clute, established
Aug. 1, 1864 ; David Morris, established 1865 ; F. E.
Pennock, established June, 1868; J. C. Sanford, established
March 18, 1872 ; J. S. and E. Hughes, Jan. 1, 1876. The
specialty of all these establishments is boxes for knit goods
for the home trade, though some of them have at times
turned out boxes for collars and other purposes. The busi
ness, though commenced not long since, has become quite



248 HISTORY or COHOES. 1876.

an important feature of Cohoes manufactures. Before
the panic, employment was given to from 100 to 125 hands,
and nearly 1,000,000 boxes were annually produced. Exact
figures of the production at present cannot be ascertained.
The above establishments do not vary greatly in capacity,
and each employs from 10 to 20 hands, according to the
condition of business at a monthly pay roll of from $400 to
$600, producing from 500 to 800 boxes daily at an annual
value of from $15,000 to $20,000.

NEWSPAPERS, ETC.

The Cohoes Cataract. William Bean, proprietor. Size
26 by 38 inches, 8 columns to the page. It is published every
Saturday morning, and is republican in politics. The pro
prietors of the Cataract since its foundation have been as
follows : Stow & Co., Jan. 1st, to March 1st, 1849 ; Silli-
man & Miller: to Aug., 1851; James H. Masten: to Aug.
1856; A. F. Onderdonk: to Dec., 1856: Jas. H. Masten: to
Dec., 1867; A. S. Baker & Co.: to Dec., 1869; Jas.
H. Masten & Co. : to Dec., 1870 ; Jas. H. Masten : to
July 15, 1871; William Bean. The publication office was
removed by Silliman and Miller, in Nov., 1850, to the old
Presbyterian church, corner Factory and Remsen streets,
where it remained for eight years, and was then established
by Jas. H. Masten in the third story of Caw and Quacken-
bush s (now Silliman s) building, the entrance being on
Oneida street. In this building it has since remained (though
it is now on the ground floor), with the exception of an in
terval from Jan., 1870, to April, 1875, when it was located
in the second story of Adams block, Remsen street.

The Cohoes Democrat. Jas. F. Kelly, proprietor. Size
26 by 40 inches, 8 columns to the page. Published every Satur
day morning. Mr. Cady s interest in the paper was bought
by Jas. F. Kelly, in Nov., 1870, and the partnership of
Atkinson and Kelly formed, which was dissolved Aug. 29,
1873, by the retirement of Mr. Atkinson. The publication



1876. HISTORY OF COHOES. 249

office of the paper has remained since its establishment in
the second story of North s block, Mohawk street.

TJie Cohoes Daily News. Edward Monk and Samuel
Sault, proprietors. Size 22 by 30 inches 6 columns to the page.
Published at noon every day except Sundays. Independent
in politics. The name of Mr. Sault first appeared as a
partner, June 3d, 1874. The office of the paper was moved
from Granite Hall, to the third story of North s block, Dec.
20, 1873, and was established in its present location, Camp
bell and Clute s block, Mohawk street, April 25, 1874.

La Patrie Nouvelle. J. B. Authier & Bro., proprietors.
Size 18 by 26 inches, 5 columns to the page. Published every
Tuesday. Republican in politics. The office has been loca
ted since the paper was established, in Lynch s building,
Remsen street near Columbia street.

The Northern Herald. Williams and Eagan, proprie
tors. Size 30 by 44 inches, 6 columns to the page, quarto. It
appears every Sunday morning. Independent in politics.
The first number was issued Sept. 4th, from 83 Ontario
street, which had been occupied as the office of the Eagle.

The Peoples Railway Guide. Chas. S. Pease, pro
prietor, 24 pages. Established Oct., 1875, and is published
every fortnight.

BANKING INSTITUTIONS.

The National Bank of Cohoes. C. H. Adams, president;
Murray Hubbard, cashier. Became a National Bank, May
31, 1865. Its capital was increased from $100,000 to
$250,000 Aug., 1872. Mr. Hubbard was elected cashier
March 5th, 1862, in place of James M. Sill. Mr. Adams
became president after the death of Mr. Egberts, in March,
1869.

Manufacturers 1 Bank of Cohoes. Wm. E. Thorn, pre
sident ; Norman W. Frost, cashier. Its capital was in
creased from $100,000 to $150,000, July 1, 1874.

Cohoes Savings Institution. Henry D. Fuller, presi-
32



250 HISTORY OF COHOES. 1876.

dent ; John Hay, secretary; T. G. Younglove, treasurer ;
Edward W. Fuller, ass t treas.

Mechanics Savings Sank. Robert Johnston, president;
William S. Smith, secretary; Abner J. Griffin, treasurer ;
Le Roy Yermilyea, ass t treas.

POST OFFICE.

Jas. H. Hasten, P. M. ; A. W. Adams, Geo. W. Cook,
clerks. The first post office was located at Mr. Water
man s, near the junction. On the appointment of Mr.
Howe, it was moved to his new store on the canal bank
near the present Jute Mill, where it remained for a short
time. It was, in 1833, taken to the building just erected by
E. L. Miller, on Mohawk street, opposite the City Hotel.
When this was burned in 1847, the office was moved to a
building on the west side of Mohawk street, between Oneida
and St. John s alley. In May, 1851, it was established in
a building erected by Dr. Carter, on Oneida street, east of
Remsen, 1 where it remained until 1861, with the exception
of a few months (August to October), in 1854, when it was
moved to a building in St. John s alley, in the rear of J.
M. Brown s (now Mrs. I. Terry s) store. On the appoint
ment of I. W. Chesebro, in August, 1861, the office was
located in his drugstore on Remsen street. 2 In 1865, J.
H. Masten transferred it to his building on the site of Music
Hall, in which locality it has since remained, except while
the new building was in progress of erection during which
time the office was located in Rogers block.
The postmasters have been as follows :

Frederick Y. Waterman, appointed 23d Feb.. 1832.

Hezekiah Howe, " 13th July, 1833.

Peter F. Daw, " 28th July, 1854.

Geo. H. Wager, " Vth June, 1855.

Izrakiah W. Chesebro, " Vth Aug., 1861.

Jas. H. Masten, " 16th June, 1865.



i Now A. H. Frink s cigar store. 2 Now occupied by Ten Eyck & Browne.



1876.



HISTORY OF COHOES.



251



Samuel D. Trull, 1 appointed 19th Oct., 1866.

Jas. H. Masten, " 20th Oct., 1867.

The clerks in the post-office have at different times kept
records of the way in which Cohoes was spelled on letters
received at the office, some of which have been published
in the local paper. The following list, recently prepared,
presents more varieties of orthography than any of those
which have previously appeared:



Kahouse

Coohoos

Chosoes

Coahoos

Cohoo

Coose

Caulioose

Cowhes

Cowhewes

Cohewes

Gohues

Chohes

Chohose

Chose

Cohyose

Coheys

Chohous

Coughoes

Clohoes

Couhs

Cahos

Couuse

Caughues

Coolioues

Kohoose

Koose

Chouse

Cahous

Cohoze

Cahaaes

Chase

Cahoose

Gohoeses

Cohees

Cohoe

Cohouse

Cohause

Cohese

Coheos



Kaho

Cuchues

Calhoue

Cughes

Cououse

Kowhes

Cochoes

Choess

Couwoos

Gehus

Gohose

Cocose

Tohoes

Cocuse

Colose

Cohoer

Cohosa

Cayouse

Cohooes

Cohosse

Gohougs

Dohes

Caehaues

Chiohoe

Coohooze

Ceoe

Kose

Koohos

Coss

Kohons

Coeys

Coehouse

Coohooes

Choohuse

Cohoise

Chahoos

Keoues

Coughies

Kehoose



Coughoos

Choswos

Coehoose

Kohouze

Cohouse

Coehoose

Koehoughs

Chogues

Cooce

Coohooeas

Calhouse

Coquis

Capaes

Coohuis

Chaooze

Kahahauee

Keoges

Kooze

Caous

Coas

Cohose

Choose

Cahoes

Cuhuse

Cohooes

Couos

Choes

Cohie

Khoose

Cohes

Grouse

Choze

Cohooze

Cahose

Couhous

Cohohoes

Coheas

Choous

Chaus



Kehooze

Chuhouse

Hachooze

Chouhose

Choohoo

Cougheoes

Co House

Cousfall

Cohoughs

Coohoo falls

Choeos

Koihrs

Choo Has-falla

Kahouse

Choohouse

Kawoes

Cowhese

Coughows

Couho

Cohou

Chooess

Cohoos

Couhoues

Couhouse

Cahoos

Coho

Cohas

Cohous

Chaos

Cohues

Gohoes

Cohoase

Cohaes

Cohaughes

Cahuuse

Cohois

Chooes

Choese

Cowes



1 Appointed but not confirmed.



252 HISTORY OF OOHOES. 1876.

Kewes Cowis Camoes Chohoes

Gelioosc Coohooss Khouse Cahooes

Cohowus Coquies Colcoes Cheha/e

Koohose Cochoos Goes Colioese

Kohoos Keuyer Cohoas Curlmes

Couhoes Cauauses Coewes Cowyous falls

Cookolioves Coushous Coloes Cayousse

Chouscouse Kaliosa Cawis Coughy

Cohouth Cliahoose Keahose Coughwheeze

Coaches Chohoose Colioucliea Cohoes
Cheches

CHURCHES, &c.

St. Johrfs Episcopal Church. The church was under
direction of Rev. Orange Clark of Waterford, until 1833,
when Rev. Cyrus Stebbins assumed the missionary charge
of the parish which he retained until 1841. The subsequent
rectors have been as follows : David J. Burger, 1841 ;
Edward F. Edwards, 1844 ; J. B. Gilson, 1844-49 ; J. W.
Shackleford, 1849-50 ; James Adams, 1850-53 ; Theodore
Babcock, 1853-59 ; Alpheus Spor, 1859-1863 ; J. H. Hobart
Brown, 1863-75 ; Walker Gwynne, 1876. The number of
communicants is at present about 500, and twice that num
ber of individuals are connected with the church. The Sun
day school, Robert Weir, sup t, has about 300 scholars. Up
to 1875, there were entered upon the parish register : bap
tisms 984, confirmations 502, burials 481.

Reformed Church. The following have been pastors :
William Lockhead, 1838 to 1840; John Van Buren, 1840
to 1841 ; Gilbert M. P. Myer, 1841 to 1846 ; John Gray,
1846 to 1848 ; Chas. N. Waldron, 1849. A fine organ,
costing over $5,000, was placed in the church in 1866, a
gift from three members : Egbert Egberts, Jno. Y. S. Lan
sing and D. J. Johnston. The present membership is over
300. A large Sabbath school is connected with the church
of which Rev. Dr. Waldron is sup t, and D. H. Van Auken
ass t supt.

Baptist Church. The pastors have been as follows:
Revs. John Duncan, H. Rounce, J. Eastwood, E. Dwyer,
M. Cameron, B. F. Garfield, S. Wilder, D. Round, Ira E.



1876. HISTOEY OF COHOES. 253

Kenney, Robert Thompson, David Corwin, "W. H. Maynard,
A. J. Bingham, C. D. Gun*, C. A. Johnson, L. S. Johnson.
The present membership is 380. The Sabbath school, of
which P. S. Holsapple is sup t, has 400 scholars.

Presbyterian Church. The following clergymen have
had charge of the church. Those marked with an asterisk
were regularly installed as pastors : Revs. Mr. Chamberlin,
Dec., 1839 ; Mr. Allen, 1840 ; *John Gray, Oct. 22, 1841 ;
L. H. Pease, May 22, 1843 ; Daniel C. Frost, Oct. 3, 1845 ;
*R. P. Stanton, Feb. 9, 1848 ; ^Stephen Bush, Feb. 1, 1855 ;
Villeroy D. Reed, April, 1860 ; H. G. Blinn ; *F. W. Flint,
1864 ; Horatio Pattengill, 1866 ; *Wm. M. Johnson, Oct.
1, 1867. The lecture room east of the church was erected
in 1865 at a cost of $3,000. The parsonage, at the corner
of Ontario and Mohawk streets, was purchased during the
same year, from the estate of Wm. G. Caw for $6,000.
During the present season a fine organ, costing $3,150, has
been placed in the church, and the lecture room has been
greatly enlarged and improved. The membership of the
church is 400, and of the Sunday school 420. The superin
tendent of the latter is H. B. Silliman.

Methodist Episcopal Church. Until 1845, the church
was connected with that in Waterford, as one charge, and
was under the direction of the following clergymen : E.
Crawford, Oliver Emerson, Benj. Pomeroy, Thomas Armi-
tage, Mr. Tubbs, Mr. Warner. The subsequent pastors have
been : G. A. Wells, Cicero Barber, Jacob Leonard, L.
Potter, Timothy Benedict, Myron White, Robert Fox, Wm.
R. Brown, Ensign Stover, H. L. Starks, J. W. Carhart,
D.D., R. R. Meredith, H. L. Sexton, Lorenzo D. Marshall,
Horace L. Grant, C. R. Hawley, Wm. H. Meeker. The pre
sent membership is 450. The Sabbath school, of which
Silas Owen is superintendent, has 500 scholars, and 55
teachers.

St. Bernard s Catholic Church. Rev. Bernard Van



254 HISTORY OF COHOES. 1876.

Reeth, the first pastor, remained in Cohoes until Oct., 1853,
and was then succeeded by Rev. Thomas Daly, now of St.
John s church, Utica. In June, 1855, the present pastor,
Rev. Thos. Keveney, was appointed, who did not commence
his duties until the following August, Rev. John Ludden,
now of Florence, N. S., officiating meanwhile. Father
Keveney is at present assisted by Revs. Thos. Silvester
Keveney and Thos. Cullen. There are now in Cohoes over
5,000 Catholics, exclusive of Canadians. The number of
infant baptisms recorded in St. Bernard s parish from 1847
to 1876, is over 5,000, and of deaths in the congregation,
nearly 4,000.

St. Joseph s Catholic Church (French}. The first pastor,
Rev. L. H. Saugon, entered upon his duties Aug. 23d, 1868.
The present incumbent, Rev. J. O. La Salle, formerly of
Champlain, N. Y., came here after the death of Father
Saugon, Dec. 19th, 1869. There are now about 2,500 per
sons connected with the church, of whom 1,800 are com
municants.

German Baptist Church. The present pastor, Henry
Hilzinger, has officiated since the organization of the church.
Present membership, 35.

Park Methodist Church. This was organized Nov. 9,
1876. The building occupied is on the Bowery, north of
Columbia street, and was erected by the M. E. church in
1873, as a mission chapel. The first communion was held
Dec. 3, 1876. Number of communicants, 51. The Rev.
Hiram Blanchard is pastor, and Nathan Thomas is sup t
of the Sunday school. The officers are as follows : Trus
tees : Nathan Thomas, Richard Herell, Monroe Tompkins,
Jacob Travis, Aaron Goddard, J. S. Ten Eyck, Chas.
Spanswick, John Wilber, John Dunlap. Stewards : Henry
Farmilo, Geo. Mink, Henry Watt, Jas. Watt, John Viegle,
Henry Van Den Bergh, Jacob Craley, Peter Nelson, W.
W. Delanoy.



1876. HISTORY OF COHOES. 255

Harmony Hill Union Sunday School. The present
officers are: D. J. Johnston, superintendent; Joseph Wood,
1st ass t superintendent; Thomas Fillings, 2d ass t superin
tendent; Wm. S. Smith, secretary; Richard Bolton, ass t
secretary ; George Dixon, treasurer; Abram Peck, librarian;
Robert Campbell, ass t librarian; Wm. R. Brooks, janitor.
The number of members at present is 1,124 of whom 203



Online LibraryArthur H. (Arthur Haynesworth) MastenThe history of Cohoes, New York [electronic resource] from its earliest settlement to the present time → online text (page 21 of 30)