c- c. - -
ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THE ACADEMIC
YEAR BEGINNING SEPTEMBER FOUR-
TEENTH NINETEEN HUNDRED AND
THE RICE INSTITUTE
A UNIVERSITY OF
LIBERAL AND TECHNICAL
FOUNDED IN THE CITY OF HOUSTON TEXAS
BY WILLIAM MARSH RICE
AND DEDICATED BY HIM TO THE
ADVANCEMENT OF LETTERS
SCIENCE AND ART
OPENED FOR THE RECEPTION OF
STUDENTS IN THE AUTUMN OF
THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
JAMES ADDISON BAKER : CHAIRMAN
WILLIAM MARSH RICE JR. : VICE-CHAIRMAN
JOHN THADDEUS SCOTT : VICE-CHAIRMAN
BENJAMIN BOTTS RICE : SECRETARY-TREASURER
EDGAR ODELL LOVETT
ALEXANDER SESSUMS CLEVELAND
EDWARD ANDREW PEDEN
Registration of new students
Registration of old students
Opening of courses
Preliminary Examinations for
Freshmen and students on
Beginning of Christmas holi-
February 5-1 1
February 22 .
March 2 . .
April 21 . .
May 17-22 .
May 27-June 4
June 5-7 . .
Resumption of courses
Texas Independence Day
San Jacinto Day
Eleventh Annual Commence-
Digitized by the Internet Archive
in 2010 with funding from
Lyrasis IVIembers and Sloan Foundation
THE RICE INSTITUTE
OFFICERS OF ADMINISTRATION
EDGAR ODELL LOVETT, Ph.D., LL.D.,
ROBERT GRANVILLE CALDWELL, Ph.D.,
SAMUEL GLENN McCANN, M.A.,
JOHN THOMAS McCANTS, M.A.,
THE RICE INSTITUTE
THE new institution bears the name of the founder,
the late WilHam Marsh Rice. It aspires to university
standing of the highest grade. Dedicated to the ad-
vancement of Hterature, science, and art, the educational
programme of liberal and technical learning now being
developed may justify the designation "Institute" as
representing the functions of a teaching university and,
at least in some of its departments, those of the more
recent research institutions established in this country
BRIEF HISTORICAL SKETCH
It is now rather more than thirty years since several
public-spirited citizens of the community asked Mr. Rice
to bear the expense of building a new public high school
for the city of Houston. This direct gift to the city's
welfare Mr. Rice was unwilling to make, but a few
months later, taking into his confidence a half-dozen
friends, he made known to them his desire to found a
much larger educational enterprise for the permanent
benefit of the city and State of his adoption. These gen-
THE RICE INSTITUTE
tlemen were organized into a Board of Trustees for the
new foundation, which was incorporated in 1891 under a
broad charter granting the trustees large freedom in the
future organization of a non-poHtical and non-sectarian
institution to be dedicated to the advancement of letters,
science, and art. As a nucleus for an endowment fund,
Mr. Rice at this time made over an interest-bearing note
of two hundred thousand dollars to the original Board of
Trustees, consisting of himself, Mr. James A. Baker, and
the late Messrs. J. E. McAshan, E. Raphael, F. A. Rice,
A. S. Richardson, and C. Lombardi. Under the terms
of the charter, the board is a self-perpetuating body of
seven members elected for life: vacancies since its organi-
zation have been filled by the election of Messrs. William
Marsh Rice, Jr., Benjamin Botts Rice, Edgar Odell
Lovett, John Thaddeus Scott, Alexander Sessums Cleve-
land, and Edward Andrew Peden.
It was the unalterable will of the founder that the de-
velopment of the work which he had conceived should
progress no further during his lifetime. However, in the
remaining days of his life he increased the endowment
fund from time to time by transferring to the trustees the
titles to certain of his properties, and in the end made the
new foundation his residuary legatee. Upon the termi-
nation of the long years of litigation which followed Mr.
Rice's death in 1900, the Board of Trustees found the
Institute in possession of an estate whose present value is
conservatively estimated at approximately ten million
dollars, divided by the provisions of the founder's will
into almost equal parts available for equipment and en-
dowment respectively. It may be remarked in passing
that it is the determined policy of the trustees to build and
maintain the institution out of the income, thus preserv-
ing intact the principal not only of the endowment fund
but also that of the equipment fund. While proceeding
to convert the non-productive properties of the estate into
income-bearing investments, the trustees called Mr. Ed-
gar Odell Lovett, a professor in Princeton University, to
assist them in developing the founder's far-reaching
plans. Before taking up his residence in Houston, the
future president visited the leading educational and sci-
entific establishments of the world, returning in the sum-
mer of 1909 from a year's journey of study that extended
from England to Japan. About this time negotiations
were completed by which the Institute secured a campus
of three hundred acres situated on the extension of Hous-
ton's main thoroughfare, three miles from the center of
the city — a tract of ground universally regarded as the
most appropriate within the vicinity of the city.
Another early decision of the trustees of the Institute
was the determination that the new university should be
housed in noble architecture worthy of the founder's high
aims; and upon this idea they entered with no lower
ambition than to establish on the campus of the Institute
a group of buildings conspicuous alike for their beauty
and for their utility, which should stand not only as a
worthy monument to the founder's philanthropy, but also
as a distinct contribution to the architecture of our coun-
try. With this end in view they determined to commit to
Messrs. Cram, Goodhue, and Ferguson, of Boston and
New York, the task of designing a general architectural
plan to embody in the course of future years the realiza-
THE RICE INSTITUTE
tion of the educational programme which had been
adopted for the Institute. Such a general plan, the work
of Mr. Ralph Adams Cram, L.H.D., exhibiting in itself
many attractive elements of the architecture of Italy,
France, and Spain, was accepted by the board in the
spring of 19 lo. Immediately thereafter plans and specifi-
cations for an administration building were prepared, and
in the following July the contract for its construction was
awarded; three months later the erection of a mechanical
laboratory and power-house was begun, and by the next
autumn the construction of two wings of the first resi-
dential hall for men was well under way. In the prepara-
tion of preliminary plans for its initial building operations
the Institute enjoyed the cooperation of an advisory com-
mittee consisting of Professor Ames, director of the physi-
cal laboratory of Johns Hopkins University; Professor
Conklin, director of the biological laboratory of Princeton
University; Professor Richards, chairman of the depart-
ment of chemistry. Harvard University; and Professor
Stratton, director of the National Bureau of Standards.
In 191 1, on the seventy-fifth anniversary of Texas Inde-
pendence, the corner-stone of the administration building
was laid by the trustees. This building, the mechanical
laboratory of the engineering quadrangle, the power-
house, and the first two wings of the first residential
hall for men were ready for occupancy at the beginning
of the first academic year in the fall of 1912. The third
wing of this residential hall, begun in 1913, was occupied
by the students in the autumn of 1914; while the con-
struction of the physics laboratories and lecture amphi-
theater, begun also in 1913, was completed in the summer
of 1914 from plans prepared by Messrs. Cram and Fer-
guson under the direction of Mr. H. A. Wilson, D.Sc,
F.R.S., resident professor of physics in the Institute. In
January, 1916, ground was broken for the first wing of
the second residential group for men; the construction
of this wing was completed by September, 19 16. Further
building operations were suspended during the war. In
the meantime the Athletic Field House and other struc-
tures of the exhibition field were completed, in 1920. The
building schedule for the nearer future includes special
laboratories for instruction and investigation in chemistry
and biology, and in the application of these sciences to
the arts of industry and commerce. At the commence-
ment exercises of 1923 ground was broken for the new
laboratory for chemistry, the plans for which were pre-
pared by Messrs. Cram and Ferguson and Mr. W. W.
Watkin, associate architects, under the direction of Mr.
H. B. Weiser, Ph.D., resident professor of chemistry in the
Institute. The construction of this laboratory was com-
pleted during the academic year 1924-25.
The actual work of instruction of the first academic
year began on the 23d day of September, 1912, the anni-
versary of the death of the founder. In the presence
of the trustees of the Institute, members of the teaching
staff, and representative citizens of the community, the
first class of students was received in the faculty chamber
of the administration building with appropriate cere-
monies on September 26th. The scholastic work of the
first academic year was limited to a single class of fresh-
men of a standard of preparation as high as the best
public and private high schools were capable of attaining.
THE RICE INSTITUTE
In the early autumn of 1912 an academic festival in
observance of the formal opening of the Institute was
held under most favorable conditions of weather, most
generous cooperation of the community and common-
wealth, and the heartening encouragement of several
hundred scholars and scientists who came to Houston to
assist in the launching of the new university. Chief
among these distinguished representatives of life and
learning were the twelve foreign savants who had con-
sented to participate in the inaugural programme by pre-
paring series of lectures in the liberal humanities of phi-
losophy, history, letters, and arts, and in thie funda-
mental sciences of mathematics, physics, chemistry, and
biology. A complete account of the proceedings of the
four days devoted to this celebration has been embodied
in publications issued in commemoration of that occa-
sion. In the latter appear in full the inaugural lectures
of Professor Rafael Altamira y Crevea, of Madrid, Spain;
Professor Emile Borel, of Paris, France; Senator Bene-
detto Croce, of Naples, Italy; Professor Hugo de Vries,
of Amsterdam, Holland; the late Professor Sir Henry
Jones, of Glasgow, Scotland; the late Privy Councilor
Baron Dairoku Kikuchi, of Tokyo, Japan; Professor
John William Mackail, of London, England; Privy Coun-
cilor Professor Wilhelm Ostwald, of Gross-Bothen, Ger-
many; the late Professor Henri Poincar6, of Paris, France;
the late Professor Sir William Ramsay, of London, Eng-
land; Professor Senator Vito Volterra, of Rome, Italy;
Professor Carl St0rmer, of Christiania, Norway. In
these commemorative volumes there appear also re-
productions of responses from American and foreign
universities and scientific societies to the invitation of the
Institute; the addresses of Governor Colquitt, Chief Jus-
tice Brown of Texas, Bishop Gailor of Tennessee, the
inaugural poem of Dr. Henry van Dyke of Princeton, and
the dedicatory sermon by Dr. Charles F. Aked of San
Francisco; together with the addresses delivered by the
presidents or other official representatives of Amsterdam,
Glasgow, London, Oviedo, Paris, Rome, Baylor, Chicago,
Columbia, Lehigh, Princeton, Texas, Vanderbilt, and
Virginia universities; and a variety of other literary and
artistic performances which are not easily classified in a
brief r^sum^. More recently a special volume has ap-
peared embodying the lectures and conferences delivered
at the Institute on the occasion of visits to the Rice In-
stitute from the British Educational Mission and the
Official Mission of French Scholars to the Universities
of the United States. In similar publications have ap-
peared the lectures of the late Professor Sir Henry Jones,
inaugurating the public lectureship on the Sharp Founda-
tion; those of the Honorable William Howard Taft,
Chief Justice of the United States, and the Right Honor-
able Sir Auckland Geddes, British Ambassador to the
United States, on the Godwin Lectureship in Public
Affairs; those of Mr. John Powell, the American composer
and pianist, inaugurating the recently endowed lecture-
ship on music for which a friend of the Institute has
anonymously made provision ; the Plymouth Tercentenary
Lecture by Sir Arthur Shipley, of the University of Cam-
bridge; a course of lectures by resident members of the
Institute in observance of the six hundredth anniversary
of the death of Dante ; lectures on mathematics by Senator
THE RICE INSTITUTE
Vito Voltera, of the University of Rome, and by Professor
Jacques Hadamard, of the College de France; on biology
by Professor Edwin Grant Conklin, of Princeton University ;
on astronomy by Professor Henry Norris Russell, of
Princeton University; and addresses by President-emeritus
Charles William Eliot, of Harvard University; by Dean
Frank Thilly, of Cornell University; and by President
John Grier Hibben, of Princeton University.
In subsequent publications will appear lectures on mathe-
matics by Professor Ch-J de la Vallee Poussin, of the
University of Louvain; on physics by Professor Robert
Andrews Millikan, of the California Institute of Tech-
nology; on biology by Professor Julian Huxley, of Oxford
University; on chemistry by Professor Edward C. C.
Baly, of the University of Liverpool; on philosophy and
education by Professor John Dewey, of Columbia Uni-
versity; and on music by Mile. Nadia Boulanger, of Paris.
THE FACULTY 1
Edgar Altenburg, Ph.D (Columbia), formerly Assistant
in Biology at Columbia University; later Instructor in
Biology at the Rice Institute; Assistant Professor of
Montgomery Drummond Anderson, B.S. and M.S.
(Washington University), Ph.D. (Robert Brookings Gradu-
ate School of Economics and Government), formerly
Fellow in Economics at the Institute of Economics,
Washington, D. C; Instructor in Economics.
William Orus Andrews, B.S. in C.E. (Illinois), formerly
^Arranged in alphabetical order, with last address and appointment
before receiving academic appointment at this institution.
Instructor in Rational and Technical Mechanics at Rens-
selaer Polytechnic Institute; Instructor in Civil Engineer-
Charles Flinn Arrowood, BA. (Davidson College), B.D.
(Union Theological Seminary), BA. and MA. (Rice),
Ph.D. (Chicago), formerly Fellow in Education at the
Rice Institute; later Professor of Philosophy and Psy-
chology at Southwestern Presbyterian University; In-
structor in Education.
Franklin Durham Ashcraft, B.A. (Greenville), formerly
Director of Physical Education at Sam Houston State
Teachers' College; Instructor in Physical Education.
Eugene Stanley Ault, B.E. (Johns Hopkins), M.M.E.
(Cornell), formerly Instructor in Machine Design at
Cornell University; Instructor in Mechanical Engineering.
Stockton Axson, M.A. (Wesleyan), Litt.D. (Pittsburgh),
L.H.D. (Wesleyan), LL.D (Knox), formerly of the Uni-
versity of Vermont and of Adelphi College; later Pro-
fessor of English Literature in Princeton University;
Professor of English Literature.
Victor Andres Belaunde, Doctor en Letras y Juris-
prudencia (Lima), formerly Professor of International Law
and Political Science at the University of San Marcos,
Lima, Peru; later Instructor at Williams College; Lecturer
in Spanish and Spanish-American History.
Paul Edward Boucher, B.A. (Colorado College), M.A.
(Rice), formerly Instructor in Physics at Colorado College;
Assistant in Physics at Dartmouth College; Fellow in
Physics at the Rice Institute; later Assistant Professor
of Physics at Colorado College; Instructor in Physics.
Hubert Evelyn Bray, B.A. (Tufts), M.A. (Harvard),
THE RICE INSTITUTE
Ph.D. (Rice), formerly Instructor in Mathematics at
Tufts College and at Lafayette College; Fellow in Mathe-
matics and later Instructor in Mathematics at the Rice
Institute; Assistant Professor of Mathematics.
Charles Lowman Browne, B.S. (Kenyon), B.Arch.
(Cornell) ; Instructor in Architectural Construction,
Andrew Bonnell Bryan, Ph.D. (Rice), formerly Fellow in
Physics at the Rice Institute; Instructor in Physics.
Robert Granville Caldwell, B.A. (Wooster), Ph.D.
(Princeton), formerly Fellow of Princeton University;
Professor of Economics in the College of Wooster; later
Assistant Professor of History at the Rice Institute;
Professor of American History and Dean of the Lnstitute.
Louis Cazamian, Agr€g€ de I'Universit^ de France,
Litt.D. (Paris and St. Andrews), Professor of the English
Language and Literature in the Faculty of Letters of the
University of Paris ; Visiting Professor.
James Chillman, Jr., M.S. in Arch. (Pennsylvania),
F.A.A.R., M.A.I.A., formerly Alumni Fellow in Archi-
tecture at the University of Pennsylvania; Instructor in
Freehand Drawing at the University of Pennsylvania;
Instructor in Architecture at the Rice Institute; later
Burnham Fellow in Architecture at the American Academy
in Rome; Assistant Professor of Architecture.
Arthur Herbert Copeland, B.A. (Amherst), formerly
Assistant in Mathematics at Harvard University; In-
structor in Mathematics.
William Moore Craig, M.A. (Southwestern), M.A.
(Texas), formerly Associate Professor of Science at Hendrix
College ; later University Scholar in Chemistry at Harvard
University; Instructor in Analytical Chemistry.
Robert R. Crookston, B.S. in M.E, (Carnegie Inst, of
Tech.), formerly with the Westinghouse Airbrake Company
of Pittsburgh; Instructor in Mechanical Engineering.
Erwin Escher, M.A. (Chicago), D.Sc. Tech. (Vienna),
formerly Professor of Romance Languages at Illinois
College; Instructor in Romance Languages.
Griffith Conrad Evans, Ph.D. (Harvard), formerly
Instructor in Mathematics at Harvard University; Sheldon
Fellow of Harvard University at the University of Rome;
later Assistant Professor of Pure Mathematics at the Rice
Institute; Professor of Pure Mathematics.
Lester R. Ford, B.A. (Missouri), Ph.D. (Harvard),
formerly Lecturer in Mathematics at the University of
Edinburgh; Sheldon Fellow of Harvard University at the
University of Paris; later Instructor in Mathematics at
Harvard University and Instructor in Life Insurance in
the Graduate School of Business Administration of Harvard
University; Assistant Professor of Mathematics.
Max Freund, Ph.D. (Leipsic), formerly Assistant
Lecturer in the German Language and Literature at Liver-
pool University College; Royal Professor of German and
Teutonic Philology in Queen's University of Belfast, Ire-
land, and Examiner in the Royal University of Ireland;
later Professorial Lecturer in Modern English at the Uni-
versity of Marburg, Germany; Professor of German.
Allen Darnaby Garrison, Ph.D. (Rice), formerly Fellow
in Chemistry at the Rice Institute under appointment of
the National Research Council; Instructor in Physical
Philip Babcock Gove, B.A. (Dartmouth), M.A. (Har-
vard) ; Instructor in English.
THE RICE INSTITUTE
Waldemar William Groth, B.A. (Northwestern) ; formerly
Assistant Instructor of German in the University of
Wisconsin; Instructor in German.
Richard P. Hall, B.A. (Henderson-Brown), M.A. and
Ph.D. (California), formerly Instructor in Biology at
Emory University; later Teaching Fellow and Assistant
in Zoology at the University of California; Instructor in
Richard Fairfax Hamill, B.A. (Francis Davis-Elkins) ;
Instructor in English.
Arthur J. Hartsook, M.S. (Mass. Inst. Tech.), formerly
Instructor in Chemistry at the University of Nebraska;
Instructor in Industrial Chemistry.
Claude WilHam Heaps, B.S. (Northwestern), Ph.D.
(Princeton), formerly Class of i860 Experimental Science
Fellow of Princeton University; Instructor in Physics at
the University of Missouri; later Instructor in Physics at
the Rice Institute; Assistant Professor of Physics.
John William Heisman, LL.B. (Pennsylvania), formerly
of the Department of Athletics at Georgia School of
Technology, the University of Pennsylvania, and Wash-
ington and Jefferson College; Director of Athletics.
Herbert Kay Humphrey, B.S. in E.E. (Illinois), M.S. in
E.E. (Union), E.E. (Illinois), formerly Assistant Consult-
ing Engineer of the General Electric Company; later
Instructor in Electrical Engineering at the Rice Institute;
Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering.
Walter Raymond Kirner, B. S. and M.S. (Illinois), Ph.D.
(Harvard), formerly Assistant in Organic Chemistry at
Harvard University; later Associate Professor of Organic
Chemistry at Middlebury College; Instructor in Organic
Floyd Seyward Lear, B.A. (Rochester), M.A. and Ph.D.
(Harvard), formerly Instructor in History at Harvard
University; Instructor in History.
Edgar Odell Lovett, Ph.D. (Virginia and Leipsic),
LL.D. (Drake, Tulane, and Baylor), formerly Professor
of Mathematics in Princeton University, and later Head of
the Department of Astronomy in the same institution;
Professor of Mathematics and President of the Insti-
Samuel Glenn McCann, Ph.B. (Wooster), M.A. (Rice),
formerly Fellow in History at the Rice Institute; Instructor
in Jurisprudence and Registrar of the Institute.
John Thomas McCants, M.A. (Virginia and Yale),
formerly Scholar at the University of Virginia, and Uni-
versity Fellow at Yale University; later Instructor in
English at the Rice Institute; Instructor in Business Ad-
ministration and Bursar of the Institute.
Alan Dugald McKillop, Ph.D. (Harvard), formerly
Instructor in English at the University of Illinois; later
Instructor in English at the Rice Institute; Assistant
Professor of English.
Edward Roy Cecil Miles, B.S. (Georgia Inst, of Tech.),
M.A. (Harvard), formerly Instructor in Mathematics at
Georgia Institute of Technology, at the University of
Georgia, at the United States Naval Academy, and at
Harvard University; Instructor in Mathematics.
John Marshall Miller, B.S. in E.E. (Kansas State
Agricultural College), formerly with the Western Electric
Company, Chicago, and later with the Southern Cali-
fornia Edison Electric Company, Los Angeles; Instructor
in Engineering Drawing.
THE RICE INSTITUTE
Sebastiano Emanuele Moncada, D. Sc. (Genoa), M. A.
(Columbia); Instructor in Spanish.
Francisco Montau, B.A. (Chile), formerly Acting In-
structor in Spanish at the University of Illinois; later
Assistant in Spanish at the Rice Institute; Instructor in
Marcel Moraud, Agrege de TUniversit^ de France,
formerly Instructor in French at the University of Minne-
sota and at Princeton University ; later Associate Professor
of French at the University of Toronto ; Professor of French.
Charles William Morris, Jr., B.S. (Northwestern), Ph.D.
(Chicago), formerly Assistant in Philosophy at the Uni-
versity of Chicago; Instructor in Philosophy.
Henry Oscar Nicholas, B.A. (Oberlin), Ph.D. (Yale),
formerly Fellow and Assistant in Chemistry at Yale
University; later Instructor in Analytical Chemistry at the
Rice Institute; Instructor in Chemistry.
Eugene Jean Oberle, M.A. (Stanford), formerly In-
structor in Romanic Languages at the Leland Stanford
Junior University; Instructor in French.
Joseph Horace Pound, B.S. in M.E. and M.E. (Missouri),
formerly Instructor in the School of the Westinghouse
Machine Company; later Instructor in Mechanical Engi-
neering at the Rice Institute; Assistant Professor of Me-
Lewis Babcock Ryon, Jr., C.E. (Lehigh); Instructor in
John Willis Slaughter, B.A. (Lombard), Ph.D. (Michi-
gan), formerly Lecturer on Sociology in the School of
Economics of the University of London ; Lecturer in Civics
DeWitt Talmage Starnes, Ph.D. (Chicago), formerly
Instructor in English at the University of Texas; Instructor