College and Theological Seminary. This is the only collection of
sermons by pastors of the S'ynod ever published.
The Augustana Synod 13
186 ' THE AUGUSTANA SYNOD
In January, 1886, Eev. S. P. A. Lindahl and Eev. H. P. Quist
started a Sunday-school paper known as Barnens Tidning. It was a
private enterprise, but the proceeds were donated to the Augustana
College and Theological Seminary, and at New Year 1890 the paper
itself was donated to the Lutheran Augustana Book Concern, and
thus became the property of the Synod, the Lutheran Augustana
Book Concern assuming the liabilities of the paper, amounting to
Augustana Book Concern.
There were many among the members of the Synod who deplored
the step taken in 1874 when the Synod sold its publishing business.
And some held the view that the Synod would be justified in estab-
lishing a publishing house again and ought to do so, while others
claimed that the S'ynod had through the sale forever blocked its way
for resuming the business. The "Instrument of Conveyance," given
above, clears the true situation to every impartial mind.
December 14, 1877, a society, known as "Ungdomens Vanner," was
formed for the purpose of "promoting the true spiritual as well as
temporal welfare of the children and the young people''; and, ap-
preciating the value of good books and tracts as a means toward
this end, the society aimed to publish wholesome literature. The
original members were Professors T. 1ST. Hasselquist, C. 0. Gra-
nere, 0. Olsson, and C. P. Rydholm and students C. M. Esbjorn,
J. H. Randall], C. J. Petri, C. A. Swensson, and M. Wahlstrom.
Others joined from time to time. We cannot relate the history of this
society in detail. We note the following. It existed as a society
until 1884 (having changed its name to Augustana Tract Society
in 1883), when, in August, 1884, it was reorganized into a stock
company and incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois,
its corporate name being Augustana Book Concern, and the incor-
porators being Joshua Hasselquist, Carl P. Eydholm, Constantinus
M. Esbjorn, Anders 0. Bersell, Andrew G. Anderson, and Josua Lin-
dahl. The purpose of this corporation was to do a publishing busi-
ness. Of the net profit one-third should be divided among the stock-
holders and two-thirds be paid into the treasury of Augustana College
and Theological Seminary. Among the publications we note : "Vid
ITS PUBLISHING INTERESTS
Korset", "Beformationen och Socinianismen", "Kyrkohistoria" (Ton-
der Nissen), "Vara Sanger", "Luther-kalendern", "Fjclsltedts skrif-
ter", the papers Ungdoms-Vannen (started January, 1879,) and Olive
Leaf (started 1883). In August, 1884, Augustana Book Concern
bought the printing office of Thulin & Anderson of Moline, Illinois,
and in September the same year the company established its business
(printing office and book-store) in a building located on the corner of
7th avenue and 38th street, Bock Island, Illinois, recently erected by
Drs. T. N. Hasselquist and S. P. A. Lindahl, which property (lot
and building) was bought by the company. Augustana Book Concern
continued to do business there until in 1889, when all its property
was taken over bv the Svnod.
HOME OF THE AUGUSTANA BOOK CONCERN, ROCK ISLAND, ILL.
188 THE AUGUSTAN A SYNOD
The tacit intention of the promoters of Augustana Book Concern
was to turn the business over to the Synod as soon as the Synod would
be willing and able to accept it. The Synod favored this new pub-
lishing house. Augustana College and Theological Seminary held a
number of shares in the company, whereby the Synod was already
part owner, and two-thirds of the net profits were used for the benefit
of said institution. The minutes of the sy nodical conventions during
the years 1884 1889 were printed there. Beginning with 1885 the
official paper of the Synod, Augustana och Missionaren, was published
from its press, the company paying $500 annually for this privilege.
In other respects it was also evident that Augustana Book Concern
tended towards becoming an institution of the Synod, and the com-
pany sought in every way, both in the business principles followed
and in the character of the literature published from its press, to
promote the true interests of the Synod.
At the synodical convention in June, 1889, held at Bock Island
and Moline, Illinois, a "Board of Publication" was elected. The mem-
bers were: Pastors S. P. A. Lindahl, M. C. Banseen, Y. Setterdahl,
and C. J. Petri and Messrs. C. G. Thulin of Moline, C. G. Chinlund
of Chicago, and Nels Kelson of Galesburg. Bev. Setterdahl failed
to serve, and Bev. L. G. Abrahamson was chosen by the Board to fill
the vacancy. The duties of the Board, as established by the Synod,
were to seek to bring about more uniformity in the use of textbooks
in the parochial schools and institutions of learning within the Synod,
to publish and spread such books and papers as the Synod might
decide upon, and to purchase, if possible, for the Synod the property
and publishing rights of the Augustana Book Concern.
This "Board of Publication" held a meeting in Chicago July 9,
1889, and resolved to incorporate under the laws of the State of
Illinois, the corporate name to be The Lutheran Augustana Book
Concern. It was also resolved to approach the Augustana Book Con-
cern and learn whether said corporation would be willing to sell out,
and, if so, on what terms. A second meeting was held at Bock-
Island, August 7, 1889, at which meeting articles of incorporation
were adopted and an agreement was made with the Augustana Book
Concern to buy all the property belonging to said corporation, the
terms being 80 per cent, of the par value of all paid shares, to be
paid in five years, interest at the rate of 6 per cent., the new corpora-
ITS PUBLISHING INTERESTS
Mu. A. G. ANDERSON,
tion to collect outstanding accounts and assume all liabilities. As
soon as the charter had been procured, the Board met again, September
3, 1889. Officers were elected, Dr. S. P. A. Lindahl being made
president, Dr. M. C. Eanseen, vice president, and Mr. ISTels Nelson,
secretary. Mr. A. G. Anderson, who had served Augustana Book
Concern in the capacity of foreman
of the printing department and as-
sistant manager, was chosen as treas-
urer and manager. The purchase
was consummated, to be dated on the
1st day of August, 1889, the date
upon which the inventory of Augus-
tana Book Concern was taken. Thus
the Synod again owned a printing
office, publishing house, and book
store, and a new era in the history
of the publications of the Synod was
ushered in. Since that time the pub-
lishing business of the Synod has
enjoyed a continuous and healthy Manager of A e ustana Book Concern -
growth in all respects, assuming proportions far beyond the most
sanguine hopes of its promoters twenty years ago.
At the synodical convention at Lindsborg, Kansas, in June, 1892,
Constitution and By-Laws were adopted. These served as rules for
the management until the synodical convention at Bed Wing, Min-
nesota, in June, 1909, when a new Constitution and By-Laws were
In 1903 the corporate name was changed to Augustana Book Con-
cern, omitting the word "Lutheran."
The main office has from the beginning been located at Rock Island,
Illinois, corner of 7th avenue and 38th street. The Board came
before the Synod at its convention at Lindsborg, Kansas, 1892, with
the proposition to move the business location to Chicago. But the
proposition was not concurred in by the Synod, the Synod resolving
that the main office should be retained at Rock Island. The building-
purchased in 1889 was in use until January, 1899, when the new,
modern, fire-proof building, three stories with basement, the erection
of which had begim in June, 1898, was ready for use. The bindery
190 THE AUGUSTANA SYNOD
had been moved into the new building in November, 1898. The old
building, moved to the rear of the lot, has since been used for store-
At a meeting of the Board July 10, 1895, it was resolved to pur-
chase The Globe Bindery from Dr. S. P. A. Lindahl and Mr. C. G.
Thulin, who had recently bought it from Mr. Joshua Hasselquist,
who had for a number of years conducted a book bindery business,
and on the first of August of the same year the bindery was incor-
porated with the business of the Book Concern.
In December, 1891, a branch book store was opened in St. Paul,
Minnesota. This branch was continued there until in August, 1908,
when it was moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and located at 417
Fourth street South. In August, 1907, the stock and rights of the
Minneapolis Book Concern, a company doing business in Minneapolis,
was bought. A branch business was conducted in Minneapolis which
was merged into the St. Paul branch when that was moved to Min-
neapolis. Since the removal of the St. Paul branch, book deposi-
tories have been maintained in the stores of the Bodin-Sundberg Drug
Co., St. Paul. For a number of years a book depository has been
maintained at Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minnesota.
In the fall of 1903 a branch book store was opened in New York
City, at 377 Broadway, Avhich is still being maintained.
In the fall of 1906 a branch book store was opened in Chicago, 79
Dearborn street, and this branch is also still maintained.
We have previously mentioned Augustana and Barnens Tidning.
Other papers and periodicals published by Augustana Book Concern
are the following :
Tidskrift for teologi och kyrkUga frdgor (The Augustana Theo-
logical Quarterly) is, as the name indicates, a theological and
church quarterly. It was begun in 1898. The editors have been the
following: Dr. E. Norelius (18981899), The theological faculty,
Rock Island, and the president of the Synod, Dr. Norelius (1900
1902), Dr. E. Norelius and Dr. N". Forsander (19031909).
The Alumni Association of Augustana College started a paper in
1892 known as The Alumnus, published in the English language. In
1894 the name was changed into The Augustana Journal, In the fall
of 1895 the Association transferred this paper to the Lutheran
Augustana Book Concern without conditions or considerations. Since
ITS PUBLISHING INTERESTS 191
that time the paper has been published up to 1906 semi-monthly,
since then weekly, as a young people's paper in the English language,
and has been considered, justly so, the English official organ of
the Synod. In January, 1907, the name of the paper was changed
to The Young Lutheran's Companion. The following have served
as editors since the transfer: Prof. C. L. Esbjorn, with Eevs. A. P.
Fors, P. M. Lindberg, and A. Eodell as associates (18951896) ;
Dr. G. A. Brandelle (18971905) ; Rev. 0. V. Holmgrain, with Eevs.
A. Hult and C. J. Sodergren as associates (19061908) ; Rev. C. J.
Sodergren, with Eev. C. J. Bengston as office editor (1909) ; Dr. C.
W. FOBS, staff correspondent (19081909).
The Olive Leaf, a Sunday-school paper in the English language,
started in 1883 by the Augustana Tract Society and published month-
ly, has since the purchase of Augustana Book Concern been published
continuously, and is now being published semi-monthly.
Ungdomsvdnnen, a literary monthly magazine, which had been
started in 1896 by C. A. Hultkrans, F. M. Eckman, J. L. Haff and
others, has been published by Augustana Book Concern since January,
1900. Dr. S. G. Youngert has been editor-in-chief all these years,
assisted by a number af associate editors.
The Augustana Book Concern has published from its presses many
books, pamphlets, and tracts. In fact, they are so many that it would
be futile to attempt to recount in detail the publishing work accom-
plished in that line. We must bear in mind that this publishing house
has for more than twenty years been the publishing house of the
Augustana Synod and as such has sought diligently to supply the
needs of the church, the home, the parochial and Sunday-schools, and
the higher institutions of learning. It has been wide awake to the
needs of the times. The needs for literature in both the Swedish
and the English language it has sought to supply. The books used
by the professors and the students at our theological seminary, col-
leges and academies it has supplied to a great extent. Into the book
store have been brought enormous quantities of books, in quite a
number of different languages, as the demand has called for, large
quantities of these having been imported from foreign countries,
especially Sweden, Germany, and England; and through the book
store these books have been distributed to thousands /of homes, churches
and schools, and many higher institutions of learning throughout
192 THE AUGUSTANA SYNOD
the length and breadth of this land. Large quantities of the Augus-
tana Book Concern's own publications have been exported to other
countries, especially to the homeland of our fathers, Sweden. From
time to time the Augustana Book Concern has also gathered, and
preserves in safe keeping, many valuable historical documents, books,
pamphlets, letters, etc., written or printed, relative to the history of
our people in this country. May it suffice to state, further, that up
to December 31, 1909, the aggregate number of new works, books,
pamphlets, and tracts that had during the preceding twenty years
come from the presses of Augustana Book Concern was 335, and the
total number of copies printed was 2,195,164.
The following table of figures, indicating the scope and character
of the business, will strongly accentuate the above made statements:
PR. OFFICE. BINDERY. BOOK STORE.
YEAR. Total Output. Total Output. Total Sales.
December 31, 1889 -
December 31, 1890 -
December 31, 1891 -
December 31, 1892 $26,578.84 $46,950.33
December 31, 1893 26,476.29 54,078.53
December 31, 1894 23,620.60 Aug. l Dec. 31 44,016.70
December 31, 1895 21,914.54 $3,368.70 48,216.32
December 31, 1896 25,624.72 8,025.63 47,919.61
December 31, 1897 21,794.72 8,956.80 48,133.83
December 31, 1898 23,039.74 8,608.07 53,173.13
December 31, 1899 23,676.94 9,241.46 55,448.27
December 31, 1900 27,138.54 12,356.38 55,474.95
December 31, 1901 29,377.45 12,331.11 54,579.68
December 31, 1902 36,215.43 15,381.23 63,077.29
December 31, 1903 34,594.60 16,836.15 74,230.09
December 31, 1904 37,988.84 18,324.54 70,991.22
December 31, 1905 43,676.59 18,752.85 82,578.28
December 31, 1906 ; 47,809.54 19,282.14 83,652.79
December 31, 1907 45,736.53 20,470.41 88,054.97
December 31, 1908 53,038.33 21,203.60 95,468.34
December 31, 1909 52,869.84 24,668.04 93,074.37
IJS PUBLISHING INTERESTS
BOOKS, PAMPHLETS, ETC.
No. of copies
No. of copies
The following sums have been paid out of the earnings for each
year to the treasury of Augustana College and Theological Seminary
as follows :
* For 1889, from August 1st only.
194 THE AUGUSTANA SYNOD
A word must also be said in regard to the profits derived from
publications. The publishing business always being in a state of
growth, the greater part of the earnings has been applied in the ex-
tension of the business, in securing property, necessary equipments,
and stock, in order to keep pace with the growing demands in all lines
The profits which, in the judgment of the Board, could from time
to time be set aside, have been paid over to the treasury of Augustana
College and Theological Seminary, as has already been shown in the
table given above. This has been done pursuant to the principle laid
down by the pioneers, that the profits should be used for said institu-
tion, in order that all the members of the Synod might, through its
publishing business, be blessed in a two-fold measure; firstly, through
the books and periodicals and papers published and circulated; sec-
ondly, through the seat of learning, whose influence extends to every
nook and corner of the Synod.
We find in the Articles of Incorporation of the Augustana Tract
Society, the first incorporated forerunner of the Augustana Book
Concern, the following stipulation:
"The whole of the net proceeds and earnings that may or shall
come or arise to said society from gifts and donations and the print-
ing, publication and sales, as aforesaid, shall be used for the benefit
of Augustana College and Theological Seminary, as said society may
from time to time determine." And when stock was solicited for the
Augustana Book Concern, the successor to the Augustana Tract So-
ciety and the forerunner of the present Augustana Book Concern, it
was expressly provided that the profits should be divided as follows :
"One third to the stockholders, and two thirds to Augustana Col-
lege and Theological Seminary." And the president of the Lutheran
Augustana Book Concern, Dr. S. P. A. Lindahl, reported to the
Synod in June, 1897, from the meeting of the Board in March, said
year : "Out of the net gain - - $2,000 were, as the first fruits,
appropriated to the Synod's institution of learning." And this in-
herent principle, that the profits should accrue to Augustana College
and Theological Seminary, has ever been diligently upheld and applied
by the Synod and the Board of Directors of Augustana Book Concern.
The members of the Board of Directors of the Augustana Book
Concern, and their respective terms of office, counted from June each
year, have been as follows :
ITS PUBLISHING INTERESTS 195
S. P. A. Lindahl 18891908
M. C. Kanseen 18891890, 1891189-1
L. G. Abrahamson 1889 (August) 1894
C. J. Petri '.. .1889 1890, 19071910*
C. G. Thulin 18891896
C. G. Chinhmd 18891890
Nels Nelson 18891893, 18941900
L. A. Johnston 18901910*
P. J. Kallstrom 18901892
Gust Bengston 18901891
S. M. Hill 18921901
P. A. Pihlgren 18921895
C. F. Anderson 18921894
G. Bodin 18931896
C. A. Hemborg 18941906
C. E. Cesander 18941900
M. Noyd . 18951898
Julius Johnson 18961899
J. S. Carlson 18961908
S. G. Youngert . .18981901
A. Schon 18991911*
C. A. Swensson 19001904
C. W. Foss 19011910*
J. A. Sandell 19011907
C. J. Sodergren 19041912*
F. A. Johnsson 19061912*
I. M. Anderson 19061912*
Philip Thelander 19081911*
A. A. Stomberg 19081911*
Dr. S. P. A. Lindahl served as chairman from the beginning of
the Angustana Book Concern until his demise.
Dr. C. W. Foss served from March 27, 1908, until July 14, 1908.
Rev. F. A. Johnsson, the present chairman, has served since July
As vice presidents of the Board the following have served :
M. C. Eanseen 18891890
L. A. Johnston 18911894
* Term expires.
196 THE AUGUSTAN A SYNOD
C. A. Hemborg 18941904
C. W. Foss 19041908
I. M. Anderson 19081910
The secretaries of the Board have been the following :
Nels Nelson 18891893, 18941899
S. M. Hill 18931894
S'. G. Youngert 18991901
Anders Schon 19011910
Three members of the Board died during their incumbency, viz. :
Dr. C. A. Swensson, February 16, 1904; Eev. J. A. Sandell, March
24, 1907; and Dr. S. P. A. Lindahl, March 27, 1908.
Mr. A. G. Anderson has served continuously as manager and treas-
urer since the establishment of the Lutheran Augustana Book Con-
cern, and still holds that position.
Mr. C. A. Larson has been employed since 1883 and as foreman
of the composing room since 1886, and still holds that position.
Mr. C. L. Ackerlind has been foreman of the press room since 1886,
and still continues.
Mr. Henry Stahmer served as foreman of the bindery until January,
1903, and since that time the present foreman, Mr. S. Benson, has
Mr. Gustaf Bodin has been manager of the St. Paul branch (now
the Minneapolis branch) since its establishment (1891), and still
holds that position.
Eev. Alfred Nelson served as traveling representative from No-
vember, 1893, until the establishment of the Chicago branch (1906),
when he became manager of said branch, which position he now holds.
Mr. Carl E. Bohman has been manager of the New York branch
since its establishment (1903), and still retains that position.
Rev. 0. V. Holmgrain was procured as publishing editor in April,
1900, which position he still holds.
Mr. Grant Hultberg was appointed assistant manager and chief of
the Circulation Department in 1907, entering upon his duties in
October said year, and still continues.
Eev. C. J. Bengston was elected literature secretary in July, 1908,
which position he now fills.
In conclusion, we desire to accentuate one fact, strongly evident
from the foregoing history, viz., that all the proceeds from the pub
ITS PUBLISHING INTERESTS 197
lishing business of the Synod which could be spared by the business
have been paid over to Augustana College and Theological Seminary.
The blessing of the Lord has been spread in a rich measure over
the publishing interests of the Synod. The great importance of the
publication and circulation of books and periodicals and papers,
proven at all times through the wholesome influence upon the hearts
and minds of the members of the Synod, the rich blessing from the
Lord brought through these channels, in the past, in the present and
for the future, cannot be overestimated, and it behooves every member
of the Synod to grant the Augustana Book Concern hearty support,
in word and deed, knowing that thereby the true welfare of every
member of the Synod, and of the Synod as a whole, will be promoted.
May God grant continually in an increased measure this blessing
to the publishing interests of the Augustana Synod.
F. A. JOIINSSOX.
The Language Question.
HE COXSEQUEXCES of the foolhardy attempt of the early
Eace to build, upon the plain of Shinar, a tower, which
should "reach to Heaven," cannot be calculated. The
motives, which actuated the primitive builders did not
please the Lord. They wanted fame ; furthermore they did not wish to
become scattered over the earth. They imagined that a beautiful city
with a high and commanding tower in it would kindle a patriotism
strong enough to hold the people to that one locality. This principle
is strangely applicable to the Orient. Hark, the song of sorrow, the
longing of the Jews in captivity for the Temple. "If I forget thee,
Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning. Let my tongue
cleave to the roof of my mouth, if I prefer not Jerusalem above my
chief joy." The pilgrimage of Mohammedans to Mecca has become a
proverb in literature. The Orientals are fanatic patriots. The verdant
plain of Shinar was ideal for permanent settlement. But the world
lay open before them, and its beauty and attractiveness was alluring.
Why not keep the people together and form a mighty nation ? Why not
build a monument which by its uniqueness and stupendousness would
compel a return, if for any reason some might wish to go away?
"The whole earth was of one language and of one speech." The con-
ditions were perfect for a united and solidified people. But as the
construction of the tower proceeded "the Lord came down." He
understood the true situation. "This is what they begin to do, and
now nothing will be withholden from them, which they purpose to
do. Let us therefore confound their language, that they may not un-
derstand one another's speech. And from thence did the Lord scatter
Rev. S. P. A. Lindahl, D. D.