Augustus George Legge.

Notes and documents relating to the family of da Lezze. An heraldic, historical, and genealogical study online

. (page 6 of 11)
Online LibraryAugustus George LeggeNotes and documents relating to the family of da Lezze. An heraldic, historical, and genealogical study → online text (page 6 of 11)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

121 1. near Chiozza. In 121 1 Leonardo Foscolo and Marin of the quarter

1645. of Santa Croce were sent to colonise Candia. In 1645 Leonardo
Foscolo was made Procurator of S. Marco. He fought as general
against the Turks in Dalmatia and Albania, and won many cities
and castles. Afterwards he so acquitted himself as commander of
the navy that with the desire and acclamation of the populace he
was proposed for the election of Doge, but lost that dignity by one

1478. vote. In 1478 Francesco Foscolo, Pietro Querini, Zuanne Nani,
Francesco Mocenigo, and Francesco dalle Bocolc, having each
equipped a galley, returned laden with much booty. The Foscoli
were members of the Great Council.

A dau. of Andrea da Legrge, Senator, married Ludovico
Barbarigo {Sa pp. 62, 63).

1506. PriamO da Leg^ge, Procurator, son of Andrea, married 1st

Elizabetta Delfin (5,?^ pp. 42, 43), and 2nd a dau. of
Pietro Zen {See pp. 59-61).

A dau. of Andrea da Legge, Senator, married Antonio
Vcnicr {See pp. 45,46).


pp. 73, 74.


SANUDO pp. 76, 76.

llustratinri Id IhH Fduiily nf I In Lez/.t-
To face p. 74


1532. Giovanni da Legg-e, Knt., Procurator, son of Priamo, married

1st a dau. of Daniel Babarigo {See pp. 62, 63), and 2nd

a dau. of Llligi Giusti {See pp. 23, 24), widow of Lorenzo

The Sanudi were natives of Eraclea in Candia, and were

421. called Candiani. Tliey left Candia for Padua. In 421 Tomaso

Candiano was one of the three Consuls sent by the Paduan Senate

to the building of Rivaito or Venice. After the destruction of Padua

by Attila, this family retired to Venice. They were followers of

tiie Romish faith, and were distinguished for their patriotism.

699. The following churches were built by them : — S. Mauritio in 699,

899. S. Raphael and S. Salvador di Murano in 899, S. Maria Formosa

864. in 864, and S. Canciano. The change in the family name took

978. place in 978, when Vidal Candiano assumed the name of Sanudo.

1255. In 1255 Baldwin, Emperor of Constantinople, granted to Marin

Sanudo the islands of Nixia and Andros in the Archipelago.

Another Marin Sanudo, Doge,t and distinguished for the assistance

which he gave to Candia under its first Duke, Giacomo Tiepolo,

received that island from the Marquis Bonifucio di Monferrato when

1204. he sold it to the Venetian Republic in 1204. Members of this

1222. family were sent to colonise Candia in 1222. Marco Sanudo in

1 177. 1 177 was one of the thirty commanders of the thirty galleys armed

in favour of Pope Alessandro III., who, flying from the persecution

of the Emperor Federico, surnamed Barbarossa, and over whom the

Venetians were victorious, sought refuge in Venice. The Sanudi

were members of the Great Council.

t The chronicler appears to be here in error, as the last Sanudo, or rather Candiano, who
Doge, died in 979, and consequently could not have been Doge in 1204.

L 2

TTi SOidfl



886-887. Pietro Candiano I.

932-939- Pietro Candiano II.

942-959. Candiano III.

959-976. Candiano IV.

978-979. Vittore Candiano.

Bishops of Venice.

841. Giovanni Candiano.
889. Giovanni 2''° Candiano.


730. Vidal 1° Candiano )

) Patriarchs of Grado.
969. Vidal 2^° Candiano )

A dan. of Giovanni da LcggC, Knt., Procurator, married

Giovanni Malipiero {See ■p^. 69, 70).

1573. Andrea da Leggre, Procurator, son of Giovanni, married adau.

Of Lorenzo Tiepolo.

The Tiepoli came from the city of Rimini to Malamoco
Vecchio and from thence to Venice. They were called Piepoli, and
were men of most noble blood, who were numbered amongst the
twelve ancient Tribunes under the government of the Consuls. The
first Doge, Paolucio Anafesto, was elected by the Tribunes, of whom
they formed a part. The churches of S. Michiel di Murano and
S. Maria delle Virgini were built by them, the latter being finished
1228. in 1228. They were members of the Great Council.


pp 76, 77.

TRON-pp, 77. 78.

VENDRAMIN-pp. 77 79.

Illuslratimi Id the Family d1 Ea Lbzzb.

To face p. 76.


1229-1249. Jacopo Tiepolo.
1268-1275. Lorenzo Tiepolo.

Patriarch of Venice.
1630. Giovanni Tiepolo.

Procurators of S. Marco.
II 38. Marin Tiepolo.
1553. Stefifano.
1570. Alvize.
1576. Paulo.
1650. Almor6 (with salary).

The arms which the Tiepoli anciently bore were Quarterly,
azure, four castles argent. The eagle which was afterwards quartered
was granted by a King of Poland to one of the family who was
ambassador at his court.

A dau. of Andrea da l.egge. Procurator, married MarCO

Antonio Grimani (See pp. 56, 57).

1584. Giovanni da Legge, son of Andrea, married ist a dau. of
Born Agostin Bragadin {See pp. 43-45), and 2nd a dau. of
^^^'^' Marietta, daughter of Cirolamo Priuli (See pp. 40, 41).

A dau. of Andrea da Legge married ist Andrea Tron,
and 2nd Francesco Vendramin.

The family of Tron sprang originally from Mantua, or, as

some say, from Ancona. They were ancient Tribunes, and bore

1080. the character of being prudent, wise, and patriotic. In 1080 they

t ^S':i!'.E




1 1 13.


were members of the Council. Together with the Houses of Bocho,
Buona, Dalbore, Costantini, and Zusti, they built the church of
S. Ubaldo in 11 13. Zuanne Tron built the cluirch of S. Giacomo
di Paluo. Antonio Tron was Ambassador in 1090 to Alessio Mega
Comneno, Emperor of Constantinople. In 1222 Pancratio Tron of
S. Giustina was sent to colonise Candia, taking with him a troop
and a half of cavalry and 600 lire. Vicenzo Tron, a Senator of
great eloquence, was Ambassador on behalf of the Republic to the
Emperor Maximilian at Vienna in 1574. This family belonged to
the Great Council.

1471-1473. Nicol6 Tron.

Procurators of S. Marco.
1442. Paulo Tron.


Filippo 2''°.


The Vendramini were wealthy merchants of a kindly dis-
position who left Dalmatia for Venice, where they were in possession
1228. of many shops. In 1228 two of this family died in battle during
the rebellion which took place in Candia. Andrea Veiidraniin, with
his son Bortolomio and two other families, offered to take command
of the army in order to regain Chiozza, and to be at his own
expense till the war was ended. He also proposed to place a




suitable governor, who should be responsible to himself, over the
Lido, to pay thirty bowmen 8 ducats a month in addition to the
crew of a galley, and to give a ship of his own. Moreover, he gave
up the profits, amounting to 800 lire, derived from his various
enterprises. He was elected into the Council of 100, the votes being
1381. 70 for and 18 against, in 1381, under the Doge Andrea Contarini.
After the death of Pietro Mocenigo, being already Procurator of
S. Marco, he succeeded to the Dogeship at the age of 84. On the
day of his election he dined, according to custom, with the forty-one
electors and his relations in the hall of the Great Council, and next
vLsited the Church of S. Marco in order to address the people.
With a standard in his hand, he was borne under a canopy along
the Piazza, throwing money to the people as he went, and then was
crowned in the palace with the customary solemnities. In this year
war was declared with Mahomet II., and the city of Croia in
Albania was destroyed. Two thousand Turkish horse appeared
before Triuli, and the fortress of Gradissa was strengthened. But
while peace was being negotiated Andrea Vendramin died, having
governed the Republic two years. He was buried in the Church
of S. Maria de Servi, and a magnificent tomb adorned with statues
of great value was raised over his remains. The Vendramini were
members of the Great Council.

1476-1478. Andrea Vendramin.

In 1619 Francesco Vendramin was created Cardinal by Pope
Paulo V. At the time he was Patriarch of Venice.



1626. Giovanni IVIattiO da Legge, son of Giovanni, married

Lucietta, dau. of Andrea Badoer {See pp. 37-39).

A dau. of Giovanni da l.egge married IVIattio Soranzo.

503. The Soranzi, numbered amongst the Tribunes of 503, men

of most noble blood, valiant and large minded, came from Torcello.
Members of this house who conducted embassies to the courts of
different princes bore arms which they granted them in addition to

1222. their own. In 1222 Michiel Soranzo of S. Angelo was sent to
colonise Candia, taking with him a troop and a half of cavalry
and 3,000 lire. The Soranzi were members of the Great Council.

1311-1328. Giovanni Soranzo.

Procurators of S. Marco.


Marco Soranzo.






Giacomo 2''°.





Giacomo 3°.




Giacomo 4'°, Knt.



1 60-.

Benetto, called Zaccaria.






A dau. of Giovanni da l.egge married ist Luigri
Foscarini (See pp. 29, 30), 2nd isiicolo Gussoni, 3rd
Giovanni Paolo Contarini {See pp. 32-34).

The Gussoni, together with the members of the house of
Doro, came from Torcello. They belonged to the ancient Tribunes
of 542. Men of a haughty disposition, they were driven from

?0 C)5&T

SORANZO-p. 80.

Illustration tu tljt Family ut Lla

To face p 80


Torcello by the house of Erillo, who were opposed to them. In

1 179. conjunction with the Zorzi they built the cluirch of S. F"osca in 1179.

Nicol6 Gussoni was one of the 40 electors who promoted Orio

Mastro Petro to the Dogeship. Pietro Gussoni built the church

1150. and hospital of S. Maria dei Cruciferi in 11 50, and Buono Orioi, his

1 1 58. heir, having enlarged and endowed it in 1158, entered the society

"jy. as a monk. Pope Cleto III. founded it in TJ, and directed that the

monks should always carry the cross in their hand.s. The bodies

991. of S. Barbara (brought from Constantinople in 991), and of Giovanni

Orseolo, son of the Doge Pietro Orseolo I., lie buried in the

1242. church. In 1242 Marco Gussoni was Proveditor of the Navy with

Marco Ouerini, having command of twenty-five galleys for the

purpose of opposing Giovanni Vatazzo, Prince of Lesbo. Vatazzo

had made a league with the Emperor of Trabisonda, and in the

attempt to occupy Constantinople he surprised the fleet of Gussoni

and Querini, destroying it with sixteen galley.s, and succoured

the city. Of this house there were many knights who were sent on

embassies. Their arms were Argent, a lion rampant gules, and a

chief azure with three lilies or. The latter were granted them by

kings of France. Some members of the family quartered the arms

of England with their own. They were members of the Great


Procurators of S. Marco.
1322. Andrea Gussoni.
1640. Vicenzo Gussoni, Knt.

In 1 3 10 Andrea Gussoni was created a Venetian nobleman
as a reward for the manner in which he conducted himself against
Baiamonte Tiepolo.














Giovanni da Legge, son of Giovanni Mattio, married a dau.
of Francesco Tron {See pp. 77, 78).

Paolina, dau. of Giovanni rviattio da Legge, married

Almoro Pisani, Procurator in 1635 [See pp. 30-32).
PriamO da Legge, son of Giovanni, married IVlarina, dau. of

Luigi Priuli {See pp. 40, 41).

Giovanni IVIattiO da Legge, son of Giovanni, married
Chiara, dau. of Almoro Grimani {See pp. 56, 57)

Cecilia, dau. of Giovanni IVIattio da Legge, married
Luigi Badonna."^

Andrea da Legge, Procurator, son of Giovanni Mattio, married
Cornelia, dau of IVIarCO Contarini, Procurator {See
PP- 32-34J-

Andrea da Legge VII., called Priamo, son of Andrea, Pro-
curator, married Cornelia CornarO {See pp. 63-68).

Pedigree B.
1448. Francesco da "Legge, son of Donate {See Pedigree +), married

1st a dau. of Antonio Venier, and 2nd a dau. of

Angelo Venier {See pp. 45, 46).

1459. Giovanni da Legge, son of Francesco, married a dau. Of

Costanzo Contarini {See pp. 32-34) widow of Antonio
Priuli {See pp. 40, 41).


it) £

GUSSONI-p. 80.


pp. 83, 84.


.[Ilustratinn tti tlitd Fdiully g1 IJh I.hz/

To face p. 82



1476. Marco da l^egge, son of Francesco, married a dau. of

Benedetto Vitturi {See p. 23).

Lorenzo da Legge, son of Francesco, married a dau. of
Cristoforo IVIarcello {See pp. 34, 35).

A dau. of Francesco da Uegge married Luigi Canale.

The family of Canal or Canale came from Raveiuia to
789. Malamoco, and from thence to Venice in 789. Constantin Canal

was the founder of the house. They were men distinguished for
their bravery at sea, and navigating many ships they gained the
victory in various battles. Filippo Canal with two of his ships
defended the Venetian Fleet at Modon in an attack made by the
Genoese. For this he was rewarded by being made a member of
1211. the Council. In 1211 Zuanne Canal of the quarter of Castello was
1252. sent to colonise Candia, and in 1252 Pietro, called Zuanne, and
Marin, together with Giacomo and Pancratio Canal, of the quarter
1347. of S. Marco, proceeded thither for the same purpose. In 1347 the
city of Zara for the seventh time revolted from Lodovico, King of
Hungary. In consequence of which Pietro Canal was despatched
with a fleet and Marzo Giustinian with troops to besiege it. The
king at the same time assisted with a large army, and eventually
1 177. the rebels were routed, and the city recovered. In 1177 Zuanne
Canal, a Senator of great experience, having already gone on many
embassies, was appointed to accompany Pope Alessandro III. to
Rome. Marco, Andrea, Guido, and Nicol6 Canal were all con-
spicuous for their bravery as soldiers. Antonio Canal was also held

M 2

to .u.'ib k,

•t'5r"?'> !■«"■

J? / ii.IVI


f>'>'=*«»orn?t^ »r> ,!»«?»> A


1574. in high estimation. As Proveditor of the fleet in 1574 he
magnificently equipped it in order to appropriately receive
Henrico III., King of France. On his arrival the king disembarked
at the Lido, and proceeding to S. Marco addressed the people.
As he stepped on board the Bucintoro f Antonio Canal was
presented to him, whom he graciously welcomed, praising him for
his skill in maritime matters, and conferring upon him the order
of knighthood of the Golden Orb. The Canali were members of the
Great Council.

Procurators of S. Marco.
1313. Guido Canal.
1646. Antonio Canal.

Canal or Canale (2). Another family bearing this

790. name came to Venice in 790 from the city of Attino, of whom

Giulio Canal was the founder. They were men of valour, which,

combined with their long residence, caused them to be elected to

1297. the Council in 1297.

Ciacomo da L.egge, son of Francesco, married a dau. Of
Ag^ostin Cicra.*

A dau. of Francesco da Lcggc married Pictro Coppo.

The family of Coppo were natives of Rome, who claimed
descent from the Fabritii. They were amongst the earliest dwellers
in the Venetian lagoons, and proving themselves to be men of
1297. acuteness and sagacity they were elected to the Council in 1297.

t The Bucintoro or Bucentaur was ihe galley used in the ceremony of wedding the Adriali.


A dau. of Giovanni da Lcgge, son of Francesco, married
Stcfano Valicro.

The family of Valier or Valiero came from Rome, and were
786. descended from the house of Valerii. Leaving Rome in 786 with

other families they took up their abode in Gambarare, and from
thence arrived in Venice. They were men possessed of wealth. In
1211. 121 1 Andrea and Tomaso Valieri of the quarter of Santa Croce
were sent to colonise Candia. They were members of the Great

1656-1658. Bertuccio Valier.
1694- 1700. Silvestro Valier.


In 1572 Agostin Valier, Bishop of Verona, was created
Cardinal by Pope Gregorio XIII. with the title of S. Marco. He
was very intimate with San Carlo Boromeo, and dying in Verona
was buried in the Church of S. Maria delle Gratie in a chapel built
by himself.

In 162 1 Pietro Vaher, Archbishop of Candia and Bishop of
Coneda, and afterwards Bishop of Padua, was created a Cardinal
by Pope Paulo V.

A dan. of Giovanni da LcggC, son of Francesco, married
Cristoforo Wloro {Sfe pp. 71-73).

A dau. of Giovanni da l^egge, son of Francesco, married
ist Cristoforo Valicro (S^e above), and 2nd Tomasino

IVIoIin {See pp. 28, 29).



A dau. of Lorenzo da Leg'gre, son of Francesco, married
Giovanni Diedo.

The family of Diedo, men of wealtli and lovers of peace,

955. sprang from Castel di Musestre in 955, and were surnamed Ridolfi.

In conjunction with the Adoldi and Gradenigi they built the Church

of S. Agostino. They were elected members of the Council before

1200. 1200. In 121 1 Pietro, Zuanne, and Anzolo Diedi of the quarter of

121 1. Santi Apostoli were sent to colonise Candia. The members of this

house belonged to the Great Council.

In 1555 Vicenzo Diedo was Patriarch of Venice.

Procurators of S. Marco.
1457. Antonio Diedo.
1464. Domenico.
1690. Anzolo.

Francesco da Legrgre, son of Lorenzo, married a dau. of
Cirolamo Contarini {See pp. 32-34)

Giovanni Francesco da Legge, son of Giacomo, married
a dau. of Lorenzo

A dau. of Giacomo da Legge married Giovanni
Francesco Basegio.

The Basegii came from Aquilegia to Torcello, and were

503. ancient Tribunes in 503. They had the character of being men of

wisdom and prudence, of few words and many deeds. Together

'4B^ i ^?5 oDe»?r'st'=! fnrtrvo^D

)J tit*



DIEDO-p. 86

iFtratlnn Id Ihe Fdmily at LIh Lkzzh.

To face p 86

BASEGIO-pp 86, 87.

UustratiDii to the Family of Da Lbzzb.

To face p. 87.



with the other Tribunes they elected the first Doge, Paolucio
Anafesto. The church of S. Basilio, destroyed by an earthquake

1341. in 1 341, was built by them. In it reposed the bodies of San
Constantino, the Confessor, brought from Ancona, and of the blessed
Pietro Accoitanto, a Venetian nobleman. They also rebuilt the

864. church of S. Maria Formosa in 864. The arms which they originally

bore were Azure, a crown and three ribs or, but after certain

1204. members of this house returned in 1204 frorn the taking of
Constantinople, where they bravely distinguished themselves in
battle, the Marquis of Monferrato rewarded them by conferring
upon them his own arms, namely. Or, a bend gules. Basilio Basegio
of S. Giovanni Crisostomo, of the quarter of Canareggio, was sent

1252. in 1252 to colonise Candia, where that branch of the family became
extinct, but in Venice they were members of the Great Council.

Procurators of San Marco.
1 1 37. Basegio Basegio.
1205. Giovanni Basegio.

SilvCStro da Legg'e, son of Giacomo, married a dau. Of

Gabriel Cradenigo.

This house originally were called Gradonici, owing to the

580. fact that they built the city of Grado in 580. They were natives

of Aquilegia, and having left it for Pola were the first to receive

503. the title of Tribunes in 503, in the city of Tesolo. They were

amongst the number who elected the first Doge, and were held in

repute as wise and meritorious men. The Churches of S. Apostoli

1 100. and of S. Croce were restored by them, and they built in 1 100

716. the Church of S. Illario at Murano. In 716 they changed their




121 1. name of Gradonici to Gradenigi. In 121 1 Tomaso Gradenigo of

1222. the quarter of S. Marco, and in 1222 Pietro of the quarter of

Dorsoduro and Michiel of S. Marina and of the quarter of Castello,

were sent to colonise Candia, Pietro Ziani being Doge at the time.

The Gradenigi were members of the Great Council.


1288-13 10. Pietro Gradenigo.
1339-1342- Bartolomeo Gradenigo.
I3SS-'3S6. Giovanni Gradenigo.

In 1290 Bortolamio Gradenigo was Patriarch of Constantinople.
In 1628 Agostino Gradenigo, of Aquilegia.
In 1629 Marco Gradenigo, of the same.

Procurators of S. Marco.

1 149. Moisa Gradenigo.

1 3 17. Pietro.

1333. Borgoramio.

1383. Giovanni.

1442. Luigi.

1473. Giovanni 2'^°.

1541. Luigi 2'*°.

1643. Gerolemo.

A dau. of Giacomo da Legrg^e married Almoro

Francesco Lombardo, the founder of this house, came from
907. Tesolo to Venice in 907. The family were in repute as men of

action, humble of mind, and patriotic. They were elected to the
1297. Council of 1297. Their original arms were Per bend azure and

argent, an eagle argent and azure. Those which they afterwards

assumed were Per fess, or and azure, a lion passant, azure and or.

They were members of the Great Council.

iKiD o1 ir-T^b^iO V ?fr




p. 88.

Illustraliuii li] thti i-'diiiily ut Lid Luz/.b.

To face p 88




Bernardo da Legge, son of Giacomo, married a dau. of
Zaccaria Dalmatino.''

Lorenzo da Legrge, son of Giacomo, married 1st a dau. Of

Bartolomeo Pesaro,* and 2nd a dau. of Andrea
Contarini {See pp. 32-34).

A dau. of Giacomo da Legge married Giovanni
Donato {See pp. 27, 28).

Giovanni da Legge, surnamed the Hunchback, son of Silvestro,

married a dau. of Antonio Querini.

The Querini left Rome at an early date for Torcello. Of
Imperial blood and distinguished for their wisdom, they were
652. Tribunes of Torcello in 652. They held the most conspicuous

place in the Council, and of the members who belonged to the
twenty-four houses of Tribunes and founders of Venice they were
surpassed by none either in fame or grandeur of display. In
consequence of having built the Casa Grande, they received the
name of Querini dalla Casa Maggior. When, however, they joined
the conspiracy of Raiamonte Tiepolo this house was levelled to the
ground, and they were compelled to surrender the coat of arms
which they bore, namely, Quarterly, gules and or. They then
assumed arms. Gules, a chief azure with three stars or. The members
of this house who had not entered into the conspiracy had for
arms. Or, a fess azure with three lilies or, which belonged to the
house of Morosini, from whom they were descended. Others again,
to show that they were guiltless of conspiracy, took for arms, Gules
a letter B argent, a chief azure with three stars or. These were

=iO - i3 9S ^'10 J




'^sJ sb

QUERINI -pp. 8994.

[lliJEtra1ui!i 111 the Faiuily nl lid i.

To face p. 90.




the arms of Bon Oucrini, and were adopted by the members of
that branch, who were not related to the conspirators. One of this
family having been ambassador to the Kinj^ of Spain, the king
permitted him to quarter the arms of Castile, namely, Quarterly,
I and 4, gules, a castle argt-nt, and, 2 and 3, argent, a lion rampant
gules. The blessed Francesco Ouerini belonged to this house. In

1 1 20. 1 1 20 one of the famil)- having bravely distinguished himself in
the taking of Tyre in Syria, was rewarded with the gift of the
Island of Stampalia, whereupon he assumed the name Ouerini
Stampalia, and this is the branch which adopted for arms Or, a

I177. fess azure with three lilies or. In 1177 Polo Ouerini was commander
of one of the thirty galleys equipped in defence of Pope
Alessandro III., who fled from the persecution of the Emperor

1206. Federico Barbarossa. In 1206 Paulo Queriiii was sent as ambassador
with Ruggier Premarini, Renier Morosini, and Benctto Grioiii, to
Henrico, who had succeeded his brother Balduino as Emperor of
Constantinople, in order that they might ratify and confirm the

1209. deed of surrender made by the deceased Balduino. In 1209 Piero
Querini was governor of Durazzo at the time when the inhabitants
rose in rebellion, but Cornaro, Captain General, sudiienly appearing
before the city with fifteen galleys, repulsed them and compelled

1209. them to submission. In 1209 Anzolo Ouerini, one of the captains
of eighteen galleys, went to the assistance of the kingdom of
Candia, which was occupied by the Count of Malta, whom he took

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 11

Online LibraryAugustus George LeggeNotes and documents relating to the family of da Lezze. An heraldic, historical, and genealogical study → online text (page 6 of 11)