Basil Lubbock.

The Blackwall frigates online

. (page 20 of 26)
Online LibraryBasil LubbockThe Blackwall frigates → online text (page 20 of 26)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and on arrival in Australia had to be taken to an asylum;


From an old Lilhoijrafh.

['Jo face Page 250.


whilst on the homeward passage she was not only
dismasted but could with difficulty be kept afloat until
she was got into a Brazilian port.
Her log records as follows: —

London to Melbourne.

Commander N. Piarrison, 13 first-class passengers. 13 second-class
and 5 third; ship's complement 49 souls including 2 stewards, 2 cuddy
servants, captain's servant, midshipman's servant, baker and butcher,
5 O.S.'s and 4 boys.

16th February. — Hauled out of E.I. Docks.

17th February. — 2 p.m., left Gravesend in tow of tug Rescue.

21st February. — 3.15 a.m.. Lizard E. by N.

24th to 26th February.— W.S.W. gale.

5th March. — Madeira abeam.

20th March.— Crossed the line in 22° 41' W.

11th April. — Crossed Greenwich meridian in 38' 37' S.

4th May.— 44° 2' S., 88° 2' E. Distance 198 miles. Winds fresh to
strong, N.W. 8 p.m., carried away mizen topmast and main topgallant
yard .

oth May.— 44° 25' S., 93° 10' E. Distance 222 miles. Winds west,
and N.W. All hands employed clearing away the wreck.

6th May. — 45° 19' S., 99° 3' E. Distance 2.56 miles. Wmdb west
strong. Carpenter working on new main topgallant yard.

10th May.— 44° 20' S., 121° 159' E. Distance 282 miles. WindSW.
and west.

12th May. — Crossed new main topgallant yard.

10th May. — Hove to oflf Heads for pilot. 84 days out.

20th May. — 11.30 p.m., brought up in Hobson's Bay.

21st May. — Sent ashore men who refused duty on 27th and 28th April.

22nd May. — Seven men sent to prison for one month, two for six


Melbourne to Sydney.

14th June. — Left for Sydney.
24th June. — Hauled alongside Circular Quay.

20th July. — Chief officer pronounced insane, singing and talking
nonsense; second officer discharged by mutual agreement.
24th July. — Chief ofi&cer taken to Gladsville Asylum.

Sydney to London.

2nd August.— 10 a.m., tug Mystery came alongside; proceeded in
tow. Draft 18 feet 8 ins. forward, 18 feet 10 inches aft. ModeraLe
gale and heavy sea. Ship labouring and straining heavily.

10th August. — Lat. 3r S' S., 172^ 56' E. Distance 109 miles. Wind,


E.S.E. increasing with heavy squalls. P.M.. fresh gale with hard sqnalis ;
reefed topsails, a tremendous sea broke aboard between starboard for«
and main rigging, breaking in a great part of the bulwarks.

11th August. — Moderate gale and heavy squalls. Employed
sending in flying boom.

13th .\ugust. — On taking out some cargo forward, discovered a
leak about 10 feet fore side of fore channels and about 6 feet below.

15th August. — Fresh and squally east wind. Carpenter over the
side on an iron stage endeavouring to stop the leak.

16th August.-— Moderate and fine. Hove to, carpenter over the side
again endcavounng to stop the leak. Ship making 3 or 4 inches an hour.

23rd August.— 48» 6' S., 145" 51' W. Distance 263 miles. Wind
N.W. strong with squalls. Whilst reefing the mizen topsail. Stratford
(A.B.) fell from aloft on deck, but being so heavily clothed he was not
much hurt.

3rd September.— 55° 50' S., 98° 0' W. Distance 273 miles. Wind
W.S.W. strong with smart snow squalls.

4th September. — -Strong gale and very heavy snow squalls. Ship
knocking about tremendously and shipping much water. A great part
of starboard bulwark washed away between fore and main masts. Fire
engine pump rigged in 'tween decks and worked by the passengers.

9th September.— 52° 51' S., 56" 50' W. Distance 240. Wind
west moderate gale with passing snow squalls The men are now able
tc stand at the pumps without being washed away, as they have been
during last week.

(Best run to Horn on 22nd August, 279 miles.)

16th September.— Lat. 38° 67' S., long. 37° 50' W. Distance 175
miles. Wind north. Moderate with heavy swell from N.W. Caught
quantities of mollyhawks. P.M., wind increasing and barometer falling,
S p.m., in topgallant sails, outer jib and crossjack.

17th September.— Lat. 38° 57^' S., long. 37° 50 J' W. Midnight, turned
the hands out to reef the mainsail, but findins the wind increasing very
rapidly with a fast falling barometer, handed it. reefed the upper main
topsail and left the yard lowered on the cap. The foresail was handed
soon after midnight, the inner jib hauled down and main topmast
staysail reefed. 1.45 a.m., gale increasing rapidly from nor'ard. Bar-
meter 29.71. 6 a.m., handed mizen topsail; the fore topmast staysail
was blown to pieces. The ship now under lower fore and main topsails
and reefed main topmast staysail. 3.30 a.m., barometer 29.30. The
squalls were now coming down with violence beyond description.
During a lull the reefed main topmast staysail was hauled down and
immediately after the wind came with such awful force that the main-
mast was carried away, close ofl to the deck, bringing with i^ the mizen


topmast. The ship was for some little time with her lee rail under
water, but as the squall passed over she righted. 8 a.m., barometer
29.20. The passengers were immediately set to work the pumps, not
knowing what damage might have been done to the hull, when the
mainmast was carried away.

It fell across the Lee bulwarks; breaking them. The
weather bulwarks were carried away by the ropes
belayed on the weather side ; the lee channels were very
much torn to pieces ; one of the skid boats was knocked
down and stove m; nearly all the chain plates of the
weather mizen rigging were broken at the same time
that the mainmast went, and the driver gaff came down
with a run.

The ship was now in a sad pliglit with the mainmast
and all its gear alongside, and the mizen topmast with
its yard and topgallant mast lying over the lee quarter,
with the lee quarter boats davits bent down and the
boat dragging in the water. The foreyard and topsail
yards were flying about without braces, as the ship
rolled (and as the »ea was now getting up, this she did
heavily), causing her to strain very much.

As many axes as could be found were brought into
use at once; the ship fortunately was soon disentangled
from the wreck ; the lee quarter boat was cut away, oars
and everything belonging to her were lost : the mizen
top was much broken on starboard side with falling of

Soon after the mainmast went, the weather cleared up,
although the ship, having no sails to steady her, rolled
and laboured very heavily. A royal was cut up to nail
over the partners of the mainmast to prevent the water
from getting on the lower deck, but before this could
be done a great lot of water got below from the heavy
seas which constantly broke aboard.

It was found that the ship, although straining fear-


fully, liad not received any immediate damage to hull,
as the pumps sucked in about an hour and a half.

The after skvlicrht and gratings were broken when the
mizen topmast fell.

At the latter part of the afternoon, the wind had
veered to N.W. As night came on it again began to
blow very heavily with a high sea. The fore topgallant
mast came down, breaking the topmast cap.

Barometer again going down with much lightning. 11 p.m.,
barometer 29.40.

Friday, 18th September. — Midnight, w^ind blowing a heavy Wly. gale
with a high sea. Ship rolling and labouring fearfuUy, laying in the
trough of the sea, a tarpaulin placed in mizen rigging to keep her to,
but it had no effect.

2 a.m. — The fore topmast came down with a run
falling on port fore rigging ; the upper topsail yard
went through the forecastle deck ; the foreyard was
canted over end : the port yardarm had a bit of a lashing
put on, but as the ship was rolling so heavily, it could
not be properly secured, consequently it was knocking
about very much : the starboard yardarm banging hard
against the trestle trees and breaking them all to pieces:
the foretop smashed when the topmast came down.

Daylight, blowing very heavily, tremendous sea on. Ship rolling
to such an extent that at times it was impossible to get along the decks.

The foreyard was all this time swinging about very
much. Getting aloft to secure it was out of the question.

Succeeded in getting a lashing round the lower yardarm and the
foremast, which partially steadied it. Lashings were also passed
round the broken topmast and yards, W; lich were, in a manner, locked
in the fore rigging.

As the ship was rolling and labouring so heavily the
captain had a consultation with the chief officer and
carpenter about throwing cargc overboard, to endeavour
to ease her, for it appeared certain that the ship could
not last long with the violent straining; consequently


parties were set on at both ends of the ship to discharge
overboard cases of preserved meats or whatever came to

Two drags were got over tlie bows witli long lengths
of hawsers to keep her to the wind, but they appeared
to have no effect, for the sea was so high that her head
could not be got up to the wind in spite of the main
topmast staysail which was set on the mizen stay, as
well as one or two other sails set aft in the best manner

During this time the ship was labouring and straining
most violently; gear, etc., was flying about the decks;
also, hencoops, skylights and other fixings — all being
broken to pieces, notwithstanding everything being
lashed as well as possible under the circumstances.

Afternoon. — The gale still very heavy with a fearful sea, and the
ship labouring to such an extent that it seemed impossible that she
could hold together ; but for all that the pumps were sucking constantly
throughout the day, the passengers working the fire engine in the
'tween decks.

19th September. — Midnight, blowing heavily from westward.
Barometer 20.70. Found both forestays carried away, but the foreyard
had locked itself securely in the trestle trees. Got a large tackle to the
masthead and set it up to the bowsprit and secured the foremast.
Daylight, turned to — up driver gaff. The ship being a little steadier,
succeeded in getting it up and set a reefed driver

This had the desired effect, brought the ship to the
wind, and as there was less sea on, the ship became

Afternoon. — Set up a preventer mizen stay, rendering the mast
tolerably secure.

Evening. — Set the crossjack, the wind being from S.W. and the
squalls less heavy. The sea still continues very high causing the ship
to roll frightfully.

20th September.— Lat. 38^ 35' S.. long. 32° 28' W. Distance run
from 16th September 257 miles. In the morning managed to get up a
jib forward.


Tins was the lirst i\no day since hcin/^' disinasted.
The wreck had hy this lime l)ccii (dcarcd away, a jury
mizcn topiuast sent up, on which was set a reeled ini/.eii
topsail: and a lower stunsail was set I'orwaril for a
foresail. Ft was impossible to rig up a jury uuiiiiuiast
on account of the severe rolling of the ship.

Pumps constantly attended and everything apparently going on
well. Crew in health.

2l3t September.— Lat. 37^ 20' S., long. 32" W. Distance 72 miles,
winds S.W., south, S.E. Got up stream chain, two parts of which were
taken for a f(jrestay.

22nd September. -Lat. 30° 37' S., long. 32" 27' W. Distance
53 miles. Winds S.K., east, and N.E. Employed sending down
foreyard and sending up jury foreyard (lower foretop.sail yard). P M
set mizen top.sail for a foresail.

23rd September. —Strong N.W. wind and rainy. Heavy sea, ship
rolling frightfully at times. A.M., people em|)loyed putting extra
lashings on spars, etc., passed lashings round the engine house. P.M.
commenced to work the condenser.

24th September. -Wind N.W. Ship rolling and straining very much.
Ship making about 7 inches of water ju-r hour, pumped principally by
passengers. Sent up jury miz('n topmast.

25th September. — Wind west. One of the iron brakes for the pumps
was broken last night. Carpenter employed making a wooden one.
Set a reefed main topmast staysail on mizen topmast stay; pasHeiiK'M<
working at the pumps as well as crew. Ship laying within 7 and 7|
points <jf the wind.

20th September. -Lat. 34" 31' S , long 28^ 31.' W. Distam e run
during last four days 229 miles. Wiut! .N VV. l';mj)loyed .bout

27th September.— Lat. 32" 40' S., long. 27" 8' W. Distance 131
miles. Wind N.N.W. Ship rolling and straining very much. I'eopl*
getting mizen topsail yard ready for sending aloft.

28th September. -Wind N.W., fresh and overcast. AM, sent
mizen topsail yard aloft. P.M., ship rolling heavily. This constant
rolling strains the ship very much, for shn makes more water when
rolling heavily, necessitating one hour's pumping at least every 4 hours

29th September. -Lat. 31'^ 0' S., long. 25" 43' W. Distance in
two days 123 miles. Wind S.W. lient and set mizen topsail, (hmblo
reefe(i, on jury mizen topmast. Light wind .md fine. Keduced «
foresail and bent it on jury foreyard.

30th September.— Lat. 29' 4U' S , long. 25' 29' W. Distance 81


miles. Lifiht S.W. v/ind and fine. Carpenter repairinc; boat which
was stove in when mainmast went. Up to this date from time of
being dismasted issued to each adult 2 quarts of water per day (on
Sundays 3) this day issued 3 pints to each adult. Ship making about
8 inches of water per hour. Kvening, kept the ship op to N. by W. for
the purpose of taking h«r into a Brai:ilifin port to repair, Captain
Harrison con^ideiin;^' (hat it will be for th« bttuetit of all concerncxl to
do so, for the jhip in cousvcfuence of the heavy atraiuiug she has lately
received be;;ins (u feci tha «ilifct^, as i\ii» make* morv'^r than usual.
In fact, the prchc^ut crippled stnt* of the ship uud th* impoMibility uf
Retting up g«od jury uia-jts, so much of th« riRjinj bfitij lost, with the
increased tendency of the ship lo mak« water, beinj considered, the
captain is of opiriiuB that it would be runaiug a very great risk to
proceed on the voyajje, ;i» som« damage might hav* occurred to tha
Lull, which, in further bad weather, might prove fatal to her.

IsL October.— 1>8' 22' S., loiiij. 2»>' 3' W. Uiatance SJ miles.
Wind drawing into the S.E. with line weather.

2nd October. —Lat. 27" 4' S., long. 2«' IS)' W. Distance 87 miles.
Wind easterly. People employed rigging a mast (flying jibboom) to
set a sail (main royal) above the foresail. Full allowance of water
issued again.

3rd October.— Lat. 25" r,2' S., long. 28° 21' W. Distance 1 10 miles.
Wmd Distance to Bahia 984 miles.

Towards cveninij it was found that the ship (notwith-
standing the sea beinj,' perfectly smooth) was making
upwards of 1 fo(jt of water per hour — evidently from
some fresh place having broken out in consequence of
the heavy strain at the time the ship was dismasted.

Got water kegs filled and saw everything ready with boats, etc., for
an emergency: passengers and crew working at the pumps throughout
the night. Ship's course set for port of Bahia.

4th October.— Lat. 2S* 16' S.. long. 27* 23' W. Distance l5i miles.
Winds S.W., south and S E. Ship now making 1« to 17 inches an hour,
notwithstanding the sea being quite smooth.

As the leak was increasing rapidly a pair of shears
was rigged over the main hatch for purpose of throwing
overboard cargo and hoisting the longboat out.

In the forenoon we sighted the brig Eastern Star of London. Captain
Warren, bound for Port Natal, from whom we procured a longboat anJ
•ome rope, as further sec*^»»ty for passeni'^crs and cvsw; the *»rig altered



her course and kept in company with us all night. People employed
throwing overboard cargo from main 'tween decks and fore hold.

5th October.— Lat. 23° 55' S., long. 27° 23' W. Distance SO miles.
Light S.E. wind and fine. Daylight, brig Eastern Star proceeded
on her course on our signalling that all was well, the ship not making
more water than yesterday. 9.30 a.m., signalled British ship A maranth-
from Liverpool to Bombay.

Captain, chief officer, carpenter, and Stewart, Campbell and New
(A.B.'s) held a consultation in captain's cabin when it was decided to throw
over more cargo and lighten the ship forward. One watch put on to dis-
charge cargo from forehold and kept at work till 4 p.m. Other watch at
work in 'tween decks squaring up and securing cargo after yesterday's
work at discharging.

6th October.— Lat. 22° 39' S., long. 27' 33' W. Distance 77 miles.
Wind S.E. Employed clearing out longboat, passengers working the
pumps. Rigged stunsail boom in starboard waist for a derrick for
getting out longboat. Crew and passengers working in turn at pumps
pumping about 3 minutes in 7. Ship making 1 foot of water per hour.

7th October.— Lat. 21° 1' S., long. 28° 19' W. Distance 107 miles.
Wind S.E. Employed setting two small staysails from fore topmast
head out to fore yardarms. 3.30 p.m., sighted Martin Vaz Rocks.

(Six more days of hard pumping and slow progress
brought the battered Windsor Castle safely into Bahia.)

14th October. — Moderate wind and fine. 9 a.m., rounded the light-
house. Noon, dropped anchor in 10 fathoms. Pumps constantly
going till 4.30 p.m. when a suck was obtained. 8 p.m.. natives came ofif
and worked the pumps all night.

15th October. — Began discharging cargo.

17th October. — Discovered a large leak a little abaft the starboard

20th October. — Passengers left in steamship Galileo.

13th November.^A diver employed replacing copper underwater
that had been torn off by the wreck, 17th September.

16th November. — A gassoon rigged over the side and ship caulked
below water mark where necessary.

29th November. — Got foreyard alongside from Jaquitara.

1st December. — Mainmast towed alongside from Tapishipe.

2nd December. — Hove in and stepped new mainmast.

nth December. — Ship making about 1 inch water per hour.

15th December, — Mr. G.. chief officer, deserted.

18th December. — Mainyard towed alongside, lashed to a boat, not
being floatablo.


20th December.— Second officer left for home, and third appointed

27th December. — New chief officer joined.

29th December.— Effects of late chief officer, who deserted, sold by
auction. Ship making 1 i inches of water per hour.

(A steam engine and new pumps had been embarked.)

9th Januar}', 1875. — Unmoored ship and towed to Franguia.

13th January. — Surveyors came off. Hands came aft wishing to
know if anything was going to be done to the boats before going to sea.

20th January. — 5.30 p.m., up anchor and stood to sea on port tack.
When underweigh fired two guns.

(All went well except that the ship gradually made
more water, and on 2Gth January, as the ship was making
6 or 7 inches of water an hour, the captain decided to
put into Rio de Janeiro.)

27th January.— Lat. 15' S' S., long. 34' 47' W. Distance 163 miles.
Wind easterly. Moderate trade and hne. Ship making 8 inches
an hour. 4 to 6 a.m.. pumps not worked, the steam pump was then
started and continued till 1 1 a.m., before she was pumped out. 3 p.m.,
steam pumps again started and worked till 8 p.m., at which time with
aid of an hour's pumping at main pumps ship was dry. 5 p.m., well
showed 21 inches. 6.30 p.m., well 22 inches, showing that steam
pumps alone would not keep her clear.

28th January. — Ship making 1 foot an hour. Steam pumps (which
now throw very much more water) going nearljr all dav.

2nd February.— Arrived at Rio, where the cargo was
discharged, the ship dry docked and seams in the floor,
each side of mainmast, discovered much opened.

The poor old Windsor Castle was not to get out of Rio
without further troubles: after nearly drifting on to a
ledge of rocks off Mocangur Grande, she was at last
considered fit for sea, but owing to yellow fever raging
in the city and the fact that several of the crew were ill
with fever symptoms. Captain Harrison had further
anxieties now that the leak had been conquered.

7th March. — Towed to sea.

23rd March.— Lat. 1° 18' N.. long. 34° 2' W. Distance 102 miles.
Wind N.E. 12.30 a.m., passed the ship Tyburma. At dayhght backed


crossjack yard and waited for Tyburnia, 60 days from Sydney to London.
Noon, visited by Captain Golder of Tyburnia. Dr. Woodhouse visited
Tyburnia and performed some operations. 6.30 p.m., filled and stood
on. Ship Cape Horn in company.

(The rest of the passage passed without incident
except that the bobstay parted in an S.S.E. gale in
50° S. 14' W.)

The Windsor Castle had easterly winds in the Channel,
after making Cape Clear on 17th April, and did not
reach Gravesend until 28th April, 52 days from Rio,
and 269 days from Sydney.

On her refit in London, she was only lightly sparred,
with no sk3^sails or stunsails; nevertheless, under
Captain John Smith who was a young man with good
nerve and a great sail carrier, she made some very good

Henceforth she generally loaded for Brisbane, her
best passages to Moreton Bay being 89 days from the
Start in 1879 and 84 days from Plymouth in 1881. In
1879 she was in company with the Jessie Readman for
14 days running the easting down.

In 1880 Windsor Castle was 78^ days from Plymouth
to Cape Wickham light, then had calms and light airs,
arriving Rockhampton, 90| days out.

She usually loaded wool home. At 10 a.m. on 13th
November, 1880, she dropped her pilot outside Port
Phillip Heads ; on the 5th December she was in company
with the Aristides until the 9th, when Aristides was
astern. On the 11th Aristides was again in sight, and
the two vessels passed the Horn together on the following
day. On 17t]i December Windsor Castle sprang her
mainyard which had to be fished. The equator was
crossed on the 5th January. On 12th January Mermerus
was in company on the port beam; on the 16th she was


still in sight on starboard quarter, but disappeared
beneath the horizon on the 17th. At 8 p.m. on 4th
February, Windsor Castle sighted the Lizard lights, 84
days out, picked up her pilot on the 5th and docked on
the 7th. She had beaten three of the most famous wool
clippers home, namely, Ben Voirlich, Mermerus and
Salamis, but had been beaten in her turn by Aristides
and her namesake, Donaldson Rose's Windsor Castle.
The times of the six ships were as follows:—

Ben Voirlich







7 94
4 91









5 88

Windsor Castle





5 86



Windsor Castle





31 79


(D. Rose)








4 79


In 1881 she loaded wool home from Sydney; passed
through the Heads on 7th November ; rounded the Horn
18th December ; on the 23rd was in company with Loch
Garry and on the 5th January with Samuel Plimsoll and
Baron Aberdare, which .ships remained in sight until the
9th ; crossed the equator on 18th January ; 1st February
Baron Aberdare again in company on starboard quarter.
On the 8th Febiniary, with the wind fresh and increasing
from west, Windsor Castle sprang her mainmast at the
spider-band below the top. The ship was kept away,
all sail was furled on the mainmast and the main royal
and topgallant yards sent down. At 3 p.m. a spare
jibboom was sent aloft for a and well secured with
chain lashings and tackles from main masthead to
mizen masthead. This was a smart piece of work, for
by that time it was blowing a strong W.S.W. gale with
hard gusts and heavy sea., the ship lurching and taking
much water overall.


Her passage was spoilt, and she limped up to the
Eddy-stone on 23rd February and docked on the 26th.
Greens sold the Windsor Castle in 1882.
In 1884 she foundered 40 miles south of Algoa Bay.

The Ghost of the "Norfolk."

It is curious that with all the wealth of evidence
regarding ghosts and supernatural apparitions ashore
there are very few cases of ghosts aboard ship, which
have not a comic explanation.

The sailor has always been considered one of the most
superstitious of mortals, with fixed beliefs as to bad
luck or misfortune being due to the presence of a great
variety of objects, from parsons to black cats.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 20 22 23 24 25 26

Online LibraryBasil LubbockThe Blackwall frigates → online text (page 20 of 26)