eBooksRead.com books search new books
Benjamin Tinkham Marshall.

A modern history of New London County, Connecticut; online

. (page 28 of 82)
Online LibraryBenjamin Tinkham MarshallA modern history of New London County, Connecticut; → online text (page 28 of 82)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
residence, at Neptune Park, and an addition to the
New London County Court House; also remodeled
the old Rhinelander Mansion at Pequot for Robert
Moore; designed and built the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows' building on Bank street. New Lon-
don; and the Fort Griswold Hotel Annex at Groton.
His chief building in 1910 was the Percy Coe Eg-
gleston residence at Post Hill, Connecticut; a large
garage for Morton F. Plant, and buildings for the
Ship and Engine Company, of Groton. In 1911 his
contribution to the notable buildings of the Con-
necticut coast were the Hotel Garde at New Haven,
and a high school building at Groton, donated to
the town by P. F. Bill; in 1912 the La Pointe factory,
the J. N. La Pointe and Mainwaring buildings, and
the Polish Society Hall, Norwich, Connecticut. He
designed the Natchaug School in Willimantic, Con-
necticut: the Shennecossett Country Club, at Eastern
Point, Groton, in 1913; the Plant building and Monte
Cristo garage. New London, in 1914; the Y'oung
Men's Christian Association building. New London;
and the Plant building in Groton, in 1915; an addi-
tion to the Hotel Griswold in 1916, and the Marsh
building; a dormitory and gymnasium at Connecticut
College for Women at New London; the Sexton
building at New London in 1917; the Jewish Syna-
gogue at New London ; Belleview Club and winter cot-
tages for Emery Ford and Charles J. Schlotman, of
Detroit, at Belleair, Florida, in 1919; and in 1920 the
Receiving building at the Connecticut State Farm,
Lyme. These complete a list of notable buildings which
owe their design to the genius of Mr. Donnelly, and
many of these have arisen under his supervision.

Mr. Donnelly is a Republican in politics and has
served his city as councilman. He is affiliated with
Brainard Lodge, No. 102, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons; Union Chapter, No. 4, Royal Arch Masons;
and the New London Lodge, No. 360, Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of
the Rotary, Thames, and Masonic clubs of New
London; Shennecossett Country Club of Groton;
Union League Club of New Haven; the Lambs Club
of New York, and the American Institute of Archi-
tects, of Washington, District of Columbia.

Mr. Dionnelly married, at New London, Joanna E.



ago



NEW LONDON COUNTY



Hurley, of New London, daushter of Thomas and
Elizabeth Hurley. Two children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Donnelly: Dudley St. Clair (2), and
Thomas Henry, both in New London at the outbreak
of the World War, 1917-18. Dudley St. Clair (2)
Donnely was a student at Dartmouth College, but
at once enlisted in the United States Naval Re-
serves and served as a seaman on a submarine
chaser, stationed at New London. He married
Mildred Reeves, of New London, and they are the
parents of a daughter, Bettie C. Donnelly, born in
New London, the home of her parents. Thomas
Henry Donnelly also served in the United States
Naval Reserve during the World War. He is now
engaged in journalism in Hartford, Connecticut, as
a reporter.



REUBEN LORD— There was much to admire in
the character of Reuben Lord, and little to condemn,
although he was a man of strong convictions, and
always ready to contend for that which he believed
right. He held most decided opinions. His likes and
dislikes were very strong, but if he opposed a man
he did it openly and fairly; and if you were his friend
he never faltered in his friendship, nor would he
stand silently by and hear friendship assailed. His
opinions were often publicly expressed in the news-
papers, but always over his own name, for he never
asked a newspaper to use an article signed by an
assumed name. He was a man of great energy, and
until his health became impaired, was a hard worker.
He had a great many sincere friends who deeply
mourned his passing. He never hesitated to do a
kindness for a friend, and from those unfriendly he
asked no favors. As a city official and a pension
agent he was much in the public eye, and lawyers
always spoke of him as most correct in his concep-
tion of proper legal ethics. He was not admitted to
the bar, although educated in the law, but this was
because he did not wish to practice. Yet he advised
his friends in legal matters, and his advice was
always in accordance with his genuine belief, as he
saw the situation. He died suddenly while in his
own office, beini^ about to leave when stricken.

Reuben Lord was a descendant of Thomas Lord,
born 1585, who with his wife, Dorothy, came from
England to New England in 1635, settling first in
Newtown, Massachusetts, but in 1636 moving to
Hartford, Connecticut, where his wife died in 1678,
aged eighty-seven years. They were the parents of
eight children, descent in this line being traced
through William Lord, both in 1623; died at Say-
brook, Connecticut, May 17, 1768.

William Lord married, and the line continues in
this branch through his son, Thomas (2) Lord, of
Saybrook, born 1645, died 1730, and his wife, Mary
Lcc; their son, Joseph (i) Lord, of Lyme, Connec-
ticut, born 1697, died 1736, and his wife, Abigail
Comstock; their son, Joseph (2) Lord, of Lyme,
born 1730, died 1788, and his wife, Sarah Wade; their
son, Reuben (1) Lord, of Lyme, born 1760, died 1804,
and his wife, Elizabeth Selden; their son, Joseph (3)



Lord, of Lyme, born 1781, died 1836, and his wife,
Phoebe Burnham; their son, Reuben (2) Lord, and
his wife, Sarah Weaver; their son, Reuben (3) Lord,
to whose memory this review is dedicated.

Reuben (2) Lord, of the eighth American genera-
tion, was born in Lyme, Connecticut, died in Salem,
Connecticut, in 1900. He was a farmer all his life,
first as his father's assistant, and later took over
the home farm. After his marriage he moved to
Ohio, where his son, Reuben (3) Lord, was born.
Later the family returned to Connecticut, where he
was engaged in farming and fishing, owning fishing
rights along the Connecticut river. After his retire-
ment he moved to Salem, Connecticut, where he
died. He married Sarah Weaver, born in Lyme,
Connecticut, died in the village of Hamburg, town
of Lyme, in 1876. They were the parents of six
children, one only now living, Walter H. Lord,
residing in Terryville, Connecticut.

Reuben (3) Lord was the third child of Reuben (2)
and Sarah (Weaver) Lord, was born in Carlisle,
Ohio, May 16, 1850; died in New London, Connec-
ticut, September 22, 1908. His parents in 1850 re-
turned to the town of Lyme, Connecticut, where the
lad attended the public schools of the village of
Hamburg. He was a studious youth, and early
showed ambition to become a lawyer. With that
end in view, while attending school in New London,
in 1871, he became a law student in the office of
Thomas M. Waller, of New London, later governor
of Connecticut and consul general to London, and
soon acquired a remarkable knowledge of law. For
some reason, known to himself alone, he would not
ask admission to the bar after qualifying, and the
only reason he would ever give was that he "did
not want to."

But although he never practiced or appeared in
court, he did a great deal of legal ofTice work, and
was an expert at drawing deeds, contracts and war-
rants, and for many years was Mr. Waller's valued
clerical assistant. As a title searcher it is said that
no one excelled him. In July, 1873, he was elected
clerk of New London police court, and by reelection
and appointment held that office until September,
1883, when he resigned and also left Governor Wal-
ler's oftice to give his entire time to the pension
business, becoming one of the best-known pension
attorneys, over 7,000 successful applications for Civil
War pensions having been iur.de out by him. Pen-
sion office inspectors complimented him many times
on his work, and as frequently stated that nothing
was ever found to be irregular that came from Mr.
Lord's office. In November, 1S89, he added real
estate and insurance to his pension business, and a
few years prior to his death joined in partnership
with Wallace R. Johnson, an association dissolved
prior to his death. He was in poor health for
several years, having heart trouble, but he would
not spare himself, and delayed too long before seek-
ing medical aid.

Mr. Lord was a member of Union Lodge, No. 31,
Free and Accepted Masons; of Pequot Lodge, No.



BIOGRAPHICAL



291



8s, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; of Trumbull
Lodge, No. 48, Knights of Pythias, and was also a
member of the Niagara Engine Company, having
been affiliated with these orders for many years.
In politics he was an ardent Democrat; in religious
faith an Episcopalian.

He married, in New London, October 12, 1875,
Julia A. Peck, daughter of Palmer and Mary (Caton)
Peck. Mrs. Lord did not long survive her husband.
She died in New London January 24, 191 1.

Associated with Air. Lord and Wallace R. John-
son prior to the dissolution of the firm was a young
lady, Miss Jennie Lester Doyle, daughter of John
J. and Sarah (Peck) Doyle, and niece of Mrs. Julia
A. (Peck) Lord, and also niece of Mr. Lord by
marriage. After the firm dissolved, Miss Doyle
remained with Mr. Lord and gave him valuable and
deeply appreciated service. Miss Doyle succeeded
to the business, real estate and insurance, and, al-
though she is the sole owner, she continues the
business under the old firm name, "Reuben Lord &
Company." She is an able business woman and a
leader among the business women of her city in
her line. John J. Doyle died April 19, 1887, and
afterward Miss Doyle and her mother resided with
Mr. and Mrs. Lord.



GROSVENOR ELY— A man of energy and en-
terprise, Grosvenor Ely, treasurer of the Ashland
Cotton Company of Jewett City, has from the incep-
tion of his business career been identified with manu-
facturing interests, gradually making his way to the
position of prominence which he now holds. In
everything pertaining to the welfare of the com-
munity, he takes a deep interest, as in his undertak-
ings in the business world, and all good causes find
in him a friend and ally. He is a son of Edwin S.
Ely, paper manufacturer and bank president, and
is of the ninth American generation of the family
founded in New England by Richard Ely, of Ply-
mouth in Devonshire, England, who came to New
England between the years 1660 and 1663. Richard
Ely settled, after a brief Boston residence, in Lyme,
Connecticut, which in 1660 was a part of Saybrook.
Descent in this branch is traced through William
Ely, son of Richard, the founder, and his second
wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Cullick.

(II) William Ely, born in England in 1647, did not
come to New England with his father, but came
from the West Indies at his father's invitation in
1670. He married, May 12, 1681, Elizabeth Smith;
lived in Lyme, and was for many years judge of
New London county court. He died in February,
1717, leaving sons and daughters.

(III) His son, William (2) Ely, married, October 25,
1715, Hannah Thompson, who died in 1733. Mr. Ely
died in 1766, and was succeeded in this branch by James
Ely.

(IV) James Ely, son of William (2) and Hannah
(Thompson) Ely, was born in 1719; died in 1766.
He married Dorcas Andrews, and their six sons,
James, Jacob, of further mention, Aaron, Andrew,



John and Gad, all served in the War of the Revo-
lution.

(V) Jacoib Ely, son of James and Dorcas (An-
drews) Ely, was of Lyme, Connecticut, born in 1748.
He was a Revolutionary soldier, and lived to a good
old age, dying in 1836. He married, in 1773, Tem-
perance Tiffany, born in 1747, died in 1781, leaving
a son, Eli Ely.

(\T) Eli Ely, son of Jacob and Temperance (Tif-
fany) Ely, was born in 1780, and married, in 1805,
Sarah Sanford, of Plymouth, Connecticut, born in
1784, daughter of Jesse and Sarah (Fenn) Sanford.
Mrs. Ely died in 1854; Eli Ely in 1869.

(VII) Jesse Sanford Ely, son of Eli and Sarah
(Sanford) Ely, born in 1807, married, in 1835, Har-
riet Grosvenor, of North Killingly, Connecticut,
born in 1813, daughter of Dr. Robert and Mary
(Begg) Grosvenor. They moved to Norwich, Con-
necticut, and were the parents of three sons: Gen-
eral William Grosvenor, a brave officer of the
Union, Colonel of the Eightheenth Regiment Con-
necticut Volunteer Infantry, and was made brigadier
general ; he married Augusta Elizabeth Greene ; Edwin
Sanford, of further mention, and Charles Albro Ely,
who died young.

(VIII) Edwin Sanford Ely, son of Jesse Sanford
and Harriet (Grosvenor) Ely, was born July 17,
1841, died suddenly at his home. May 4, 1898. He
was quite young when his parents moved to Nor-
wich, and there he was educated in the public schools
and Norwich Free Academy. He studied law under
Judge James A. Hovey, but later he engaged in
paper manufacture, being owner and manager of the
Reade & Obenauer Paper Company, of Versailles.
His health broke and he sold his paper mill interest
in 1889. From 1882 until 1893, he was president of
the Uncas Bank of Norwich, and at the time of his
passing was a director of the Broadway Theatre
Corporation. He was a member of the Norwich
Club, a man of most pleasing personality, and very
popular. In politics he was a Republican. Mr. Ely
married. May i, 1873, Mary Brewer Chappell, born
November 13, 1845, in Norwich, daughter of Edward
and Elizabeth E. (Brewer) Chappell. Mrs. Ely died
in Philadelphia, March 19, 1895, the mother of four
children: Mary Grosvenor Ely, born May 30, 1875;
Augusta Chappell Ely, born April 6, 1878; Edward
Chappell Ely, born May 9, 1882, an importer of New
York; Grosvenor Ely, of further mention.

(IX) Grosvenor Ely, of the nintli generation,
youngest son of Edwin Sanford and Mary Brewer
(Chappell) Ely, was born in Norwich, Connecticut,
February 21, 1884, and received his education in the
public schools of Norwich and at Norwich Free
Academy, whence he was graduated in 1900. He
took a preparatory course at Hotchkiss School, grad-
uating at the conclusion of his course in 1901. The
ne.xt few months he spent in travel in France, and
then returned to this country and entered Yale Col-
lege, whence he was graduated, A. B., class of 1906.
Immediately after graduation he went again to
Europe, remaining there until 1908. Upon his return



NEW LONDON COUNTY



to this country he decided to make a study of the
manufacturer of cotton textiles, and with this end
in view spent the year of 1908 in the Falls mills at
Norwich, and the Ponemah mills at Taftville. Later
he became manager of the Ashland Cotton Company
at Jewett City; then agent; and eventually treasurer,
which position he now holds. The company has
steadily prospered, and today occupies a high posi-
tion in the industrial world. Mr. Ely is also vice-
president and treasurer of the Chadwick Hoskins
Company, at Charlotte, North Carolina; treasurer of
the Martinsville Cotton Mills, Incorporated, Mar-
tinsville, Virginia, and secretary of the Turner Hal-
sey Company, of New York City. In politics Mr.
Ely is a Republican, and has served the city of Nor-
wich two years as alderman. His thorough business
qualifications are also always in demand, and his
public spirit has led him to accept many such trusts.
He is a member of the board of governors, and a
former vice-president of the National Association
of Cotton Manufacturers; trustee of the Norwich
Free Academy; trustee of the Young Men's Chris-
tian Association; director of the Chamber of Com-
merce; and formerly vice-president of the Board of
Trade; director of the Thames National Bank of
Norwich; and director of the Chelsea Savings Bank
of Norwich. He was at one time director of the
Uncas National Bank, of the Falls Company and of
the Shetucket Company of Norwich. He belongs to
the Arcanum Club, the Chelsea oBat Club, and the
Golf Club of Norwich, of which he has been presi-
dent for five years, the Yale Club, the University
Club, the Merchants' Club of New York City, the
Southern Textile Manufacturers' Club, of North
Carolina, and the Charlotte Country Club.

Mr. Ely married, September 6, 1906, Mary Learned.
Mr. and Mrs. Ely are the parents of two children,
Grosvcnor (2) and Lamed.



LEVI QUINCY RAYMOND— In the city of New
London, Connecticut, is located one of the largest
concerns in the lumber business in this county — the
Raymond & Alc.vander Lumber Company. Levi
Quincy Raymond, as the head of this important cor-
poration, is one of the leading men in this line here-
abouts.

Mr. Raymond is a son of Thaddeus K. and Mary
(Ayres) Raymond, long ago residents of New Lon-
don county. Thaddeus K. Raymond was born in
L>'mc, Connecticut, educated in the district schools
of the day, and was a cattle farmer and lumber
dealer during his lifetime. He died in i860, while still
a young man. Thaddeus K. and Mary (Ayres) Ray-
mond were the parents of three children: Oliver O.,
who married Adelaide La Place, and is now a retired
cattle dealer, and resides in Wcthersfield, Connec-
ticut; Levi Quincy, of whom further; and Helen,
who became the wife of William Clifton, moving to
Savannah, Georgia, dying shortly thereafter.

Levi Quincy Raymond was born in Lyme, New
London county, Connecticut, on March 27, 1857. The
family removing to Vineland, New Jersey, when he



was a child of seven years, his education was secured
in the public schools of that town. His studies com-
pleted, the young man entered the world of industry
in 1872, choosing his own path in making the start.
He went to Taunton, Massachusetts, where he en-
tered the employ of the Mason Locomotive Works,
remaining for two years in that connection. In 1874
he went to Springfield, Massachusetts, and there
became a machinist for Beames & McCall, remaining
for one year. Next he came to New London county,
Connecticut, locating in Lyme, where he worked on
the farm for his uncle, James L. Raymond, remaining
with him for a period of five years. At the end of
that time he went to East Haddam, Connecticut,
where he took up the business of teaming and lum-
bering. Among the heavily wooded slopes of that
section he gained his start in life. In 1888 he pur-
chased a saw mill, and from that time until the
present he has been in the lumber business. At first,
and indeed for more than twenty years, he bought
standing timber, converting it into the lumber of
commerce, and followed along this line until 1901,
when he came to New London to make it his home.
From that time until 1910 he engaged in real estate
and building business, erecting some three hundred
houses, and a large block on the corner of Bank
street and ^Tontauk avenue, which is now known as
the Raymond block. In 1910 he purchased land on
Moore avenue and Shaw street, built on it a mill
and established a lumber business. This business
increased to such an extent that in 1914 he took into
partnership F. J. Alexander, whose life is reviewed
in the following sketch, the concern taking the title
of the Raymond & Alexander Lumber Company,
they buying the Hopkins and Chapin plant on How-
ard street, the site of which was on a part of what
was known as Shaw's Cove and at that time mostly
under water. They began filling in on the north side
of Hamilton street and the east side of Howard
street, and built there the plant and office buildings
they now occupy. All about them on redeemed
land are now new docks, warehouses and railroad
yards. This business was capitalized at $60,000, and
is now one of the most important concerns in this
line in New London county. Besides dressed lum-
ber they handle all kinds of builders' supplies, and
kindred stock, and do a very extensive business.
Outside of his business Mr. Raymond has few in-
terests, but is a prominent member of the New
London Chamber of Commerce. Politically, he sup-
ports the Republican party.

Mr. Raymond married (first) Millie Chappell, o£
L\^ne, Connecticut, on February 19, 1880. She was
a daughter of Ira Chappell, of that town. She died
on December 9, 1903. They were the parents of five
children: Tliaddeus K., who married, in 1903, Mildred
Pearson, and resides in Groton, Connecticut; Charles
L., who married, in 1906, Esther Sutton, and is a
resident of Lyme; Edward I., who married Mary
Robertshaw, and now lives in New London; during
the World War he was first sergeant in the Quarter-
master's Corps, and was stationed at San Antonio,



BIOGRAPHICAL



293



Texas; and twins, Annie and Millie, Annie now being
the wife of Arthur Beckman, of Philadelphia, and
Millie is deceased. Mr. Raymond married (second)
Georgette Burch, of Groton; (third) May E. Walsh,
of New London, Connecticut, who is now living.
The family are members of the Congregational
church of New London.

Mr. Raymond's mother, Mary (Ayres) Raymond,
married a second time, becoming the wife of L. Lee
Wood, of Lyme, Connecticut, and they were the
parents of four children: James R., who married
Georgia Tiffany, and resides in Chester, Connecticut;
Bell, who became the wife of William Blair, and
lives in Hartford; John E., who married Minnie
Tiffany, and lives in Hartford; and Mary L., who is
also married, and resides in Hartford. The mother
died in 1900, and Mr. Wood survived her for five
years.



FRANK J. ALEXANDER— For many years in-
terested in extensive agricultural operations in New
London county, and now a partner in the important
lumber firm of Raymond & Alexander, in the city
of New London, Connecticut, Frank J. Alexander
has achieved unusual success in life.

Mr. Alexander is a son of Charles P. and Harriet

E. (Jerome) Alexander. Charles P. Alexander was
born in the town of Groton, Connecticut, in 1832,
and there received his education in the public schools.
He took up farming in early life, and continued in
this line of work until his death, which occurred in
1904. His wife also was born in W'aterford, and
there died. They were the parents of two children:
Charles J'., deceased; and Frank J., of whom further.

Frank J. Alexander was born in Waterford, Con-
necticut, on Decemlber 14, 1870. He received a
thoroughly practical education in the public schools
of the neighborhood, and later attended Snell's
Business College, in Norwich, Connecticut, then
began business life working on the farm for his
father. In 1895 he bought the grocery business of

F. P. Robinson, in Waterford, and thereafter con-
ducted the store for a period of six years. In 1901
he took up teaming and contracting, specializing in
the building of roads, along which line he did a large
amount of work which counted for the permanent
improvement of interurban traffic conditions. Later
on he purchased a farm of ninety-si,x acres in Water-
ford, and still later acquired a farm of one hundred
and twelve acres adjoining the first. These farms
he stocked, and did a large dairy business. After
his mother's death he sold the home place of thirty
acres to the Connecticut College for Women for a
building site.

In 1914, Mr. Alexander formed his present asso-
ciation with L. Q. Raymond, whose sketch precedes
this, in the lumber business which they have devel-
oped to such an important interest. The Raymond
& Alexander Lumber Company is now one of the
principal lumber concerns in New London county,
and is capitalized at $60,000. Mr. Alexander is sec-
retary and treasurer of the corporation, and very



active in the management of the company's affairs.

In the public life of the city Mr. Alexander is
bearing a prominent part. Politically affiliated with
the Democratic party, he served for seven years as
a member of the Board of Relief of Waterford, and
was for years a selectman of the town of Waterford.

Fraternally, Mr. Alexander is well known. He is
a member of Oxoboxo Lodge, No. n6. Free and
Accepted Masons, of Montville, in this county, and
he is a member of Pequot Lodge, No. 85, Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, of New London.
He is a member of the Harbour Club, of New Lon-
don.

On October 12, 1897, Mr. Alexander married Alice
Lawson, daughter of Otto and Martha (Combs)
Lawson, of Waterford. Mr. and Mrs. Alexander
have three children: Prentice L., who resides at
home; Elizabeth, now the wife of Frederick Schad,
of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania; and Alice, at home.
The family attend the Baptist church, and are prom-
inent in all its activities.



JOHN G. WHEELER— From a sturdy race of
farmers, seafaring men and business men, comes
John G. Wheeler, one of the best-known druggists
of New London county. Several generations of the
Wheeler family have made their home in Mystic,
Connecticut, and the name is a well-known one in
Stonington township. The first known ancestor in
this country was Thomas Wheeler, already a resi-
dent of and holding official position in the town of



Online LibraryBenjamin Tinkham MarshallA modern history of New London County, Connecticut; → online text (page 28 of 82)
Using the text of ebook A modern history of New London County, Connecticut; by Benjamin Tinkham Marshall active link like:
read the ebook A modern history of New London County, Connecticut; is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014