Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 27 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 27 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ticularly noticed portraits of the Colonel and
Mrs. Lane, whom we have just seen performing
such prominent parts in the escape of Charles
II. from England to the Continent.

FARLEIGH HOUSE, in the parish of

Farleigh-Hungerford, Somersetshire, about
nine miles south-west from Bath, the
seat of John Torriano Houlton, Esq. It
is, however, more commonly called Farleigh
Castle, from the ruins of an old castle close
by, in regard to which, Leland observes,
" Farlegh Castelle is sette on a rocky hill.
There be diviers praty towers in the outer
warde, and an antient chapelle." He then
goes on to say that, according to a common
tradition, it was built — in part at least — by
one of the Hungerfords, out of the ransom ot
the Duke of Orleans whom he had taken pri-
soner. In this castle the Hungerfords dwel-
led for more than three hundred years, but,
upon then- selling the estate in 1686, or about
that time, it was suffered to go to decay. The
high antiquity of the place is unquestion-
able. For a long period it was held by Saxon
thanes, and in the eleventh century it fell



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



119



into the possession of Sir Roger fie Curcelle,
a Norman baron who stood in high favour
with William the Conqueror. After his death
it reverted to the crown, when William
Rufus granted it with other lands to Hugh
de Montfort, whence in old records we often
find it denominated Farley Montfort. A
singular character was this same Hugh. In
opposition to the almost universal custom of
his countrymen he chose to wear a long
beard, from which circumstance he acquired
the cognomen of the bearded — Hugh cum
barbd — but he was a right valiant soldier, and
not rinding sufficient work for his warlike
propensities in the general feuds of the age,
though they were tolerably incessant, he at
last got himself killed in a duel with Wal-
cheline de Ferrers, a soldier, no doubt, of
the same propensities. The estate, however,
remained in his family till the year 1335,
when Sir Henry de Montfort granted this and
other lands to Bartholomew Lord Burghersh,
who figures in the unfortunate wars carried
on by Richard the Second against the Scots.
His son and successor held the property but
a short time, being compelled by his impru-
dences to part with it to Thomas Lord Hun-
gerford. With his descendant it then con-
tinued for many generations, except only for
a brief interval, when its possessor, having
been beheaded, it was confiscated to the
crown, and given to the Duke of Gloucester.
Upon the Duke's accession to the throne, it
was granted by him to John Howard, Duke
of Norfolk, one of the stanchest of his ad-
herents, as was proved at the fatal day of
Bosworth Field, when he sealed his loyalty
with his life-blood, and died sword in hand
■amongst the foremost ; but

" Dickon, his master, was bought and sold."

At a later period it devolved to Sir Edward
Hungerford, who has obtained a somewhat
unenviable celebrity from an extravagance
that has few, if any, parallels. For thirty-
three sessions he sat in Parliament, sold at
the same time twenty-eight manors, and,
having run through an annual income of
thirty thousand pounds, lived for the last
thirty years of his life upon charity, and
died at the advanced age of one hundred and
fifteen. By him Farleigh was sold in 1086 to
the Bayntons, and not long afterward it
■came into the possession of the Houltons, in
which family it still remains. It was not,
however, till about 1717 that Joseph Houl-
ton, Esq., came to reside here, choosing for
his place of abode, not the old castle of the
Hungerfords, but another house which he
found ready built in a different part of the
parish. To this great additions were made,
a park being formed, and the grounds con-
siderably enlarged. At that time the build-



ing had two long gabled elevations, much in
the style of the old manor-houses in that
part of England. At the beginning, how-
ever, of the present century it underwent
fresh alterations, when possessed by Lieut. -
Colonel John Houlton, who gave it a florid
Gothic character, such as it now appears.
The park and grounds are very picturesque,
consisting chiefly of two well-Avooded banks,
in the valley between which is an artificial
sheet of water. The view towards Devizes
and the Downs near Westbury is not less
beautiful than extensive. Through the park
is a carriage-drive of about one mile in
length, terminating in a handsome castel-
lated lodge at the new Warminster turnpike
road.

NEWLISTON, in the county of Linlith-
gow, the seat of James Maitland Hog, Esq.
Originally it belonged to the Dundas family,
a branch of which became Dundas of New-
liston, and their heiress marrying John, first
Earl of Stair, was mother of the cele-
brated field-marshal of that name. After
his death, in 1747, it was sold to the family
now in possession.

The present house was built in the course
of the vears 1790 and 1791, by the late Thos.
Hog, Esq., then of Newliston. It is in the
Grecian style of architecture. The grounds
are laid out according to the French or Ger
man taste, with avenues, earth-works, and
ponds. One earth-work, with bastions, sur-
rounds the adjacent part of the park ; and it
is popularly believed that the plantations re-
present the position of the troops at one of
his battles.

DENTON HALL, near Grantham, Lincoln-
shire, the seat of Sir William Earle Welby,
Bart. In 1G48 William Welby, Esq., whose
ancestors had resided for more than a century
in an adjoining mansion in the same parish,
purchased this seat of Sir William Thorold,
Bart., of Marston. The old pile was erected
about the reign of Henry the Eighth, but it
was in a great measure rebuilt in the year
1815 by the present possessor. It is now a
large plain stone house, surrounded by an
abundance of fine timber, with avenues of
old trees, a succession of large ornamental
fish-ponds, and an ancient bowling-green, the
relics of former days. In the park is a Bede-
House, bearing the date 1651, and still in good
preservation.

WOODHOUSE, or CHETTISHAM HALL,

in the Isle of Ely, the seat of William
Layton, Esq. It was built in 1810 by
William Layton, Esq., father of the
present owner, who has served the office of
high sheriff for Cambridgeshire and Hunts,



120



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



besides being a magistrate and deputy-lieu-
tenant of Cambridgeshire and Ely. The
house, though not perhaps remarkable for
architecture, is well arranged, and presents a
convenient suite of rooms with all suitable do-
mestic offices. The grounds are entered by
a neat lodge and gate, and altogether form
one of the most attractive places in the neigh-
bourhood, being laid out with much taste and
a just regard to picturesque effect.

HINTLESHAM HALL, Suffolk, six miles
from Ipswich, the seat of James Hamilton
Lloyd Anstruther, Esq., high sheriff of Suf-
folk, brother of Sir Ralph Abercrombie An-
struther, Bart,, of Balcaskie. The manor
was anciently possessed by the Talbots and
the Pipards. At a later period, and for many
years, it Avas held by the Timperlys, of whom
there are several monuments in the chancel
of the parish church. One in particular, be-
fore it was despoiled of its brasses, seems to
have been deserving of notice, and is thus de
scribed by Weaver: — "It is a tomb of blue
marble, whereon is the portraiture of a man
in brass, in complete armour, and a woman
with a hound at her feet, accompanied by
this inscription, but in Latin : ' Here lieth
the venerable man, John Timperley, heir and
Lord of Hyntlesham, and Margaret his wife,
which John died an. 1400.' ' There is also at
present a very neatly executed figure upon an
incised black marble slab of a knight of this
family, Captain Jolm Timperley : the cutting
is filled with plaster of Paris, and around the
slab, as a kind of frame, many warlike im-
plements are very tastefully carved.

From the Timperlys the hall was bought
by Richard Powis, Esq., at one time member
of Parliament for Orford, in the county of
Suffolk, who again sold it to Sir Richard
Lloyd, Kt., one of the barons of his ma-
jesty's Court of Exchequer in 1746. After
having continued with his descendants for
many years, it was bequeathed by the late
Miss Lloyd to the present possessor, whose
mother, Charlotte Lucy, was only daughter
of Col. James Hamilton (grandson of James
fourth Duke of Hamilton), by Lucy, his wife,
dau. of Sir Richard Lloyd of Hintlesham.

This house is supposed to have been built
in the time of Henry the Eighth, since when
it has been materially altered at various pe-
riods. In shape it presents the not unusual
appearance of a half H. The old hall, now
used as a saloon, is a room of beautiful pro-
portions, being forty-two feet long, twenty-
four feet wide, and twenty-three feet and a
half in height. The park is extensive and
ornamented with fine timber, chiefly oaks and
elms, of prodigious size. In the home-wood,
which is a fine piece of ground with or-
namental ponds, are some good specimens of
coniferae.



PENLANOLE, in the county of Radnor,
the seat of Henry Lingen, Esq. There is
no clue that can enable us to fix the time
when this house was built, though it is
evidently an old structure, much altered
and modernised after the Indian fashion by
Daniel Reid, Esq., a Scotch gentleman, who,
having amassed a large fortune in the East,
brought home with him the tastes and ha-
bits of that country —

" Cerium, non animum mutant."

The most peculiarly Indian of these additions
is a spacious bungalow in front ; and if the
Wye— on the banks of which the house
stands — could by any stretch of imagination
be converted into the Ganges, the illusion
would be complete. It pleases the eye, how-
ever, in spite of the incongruities, and the
jarring associations which naturally arise
between a Welsh sky and an Indian bunga-
low, whde the country around is pre-emi-
nently beautiful.

HALL, near Barnstaple, Devon, the
seat of Robert Chichester, Esq., a ma-
gistrate for the county. This property
belonged ages ago to Walter Stapledon,
bishop of Exeter, who in 1314 granted it
to Symon de Halle, an eminent barrister,
for some services rendered to him by the
said Symon in his profession. By him
it was left to his daughter and heiress,
Thomasine de Halle, who conveyed it by
marriage to Richard Chichester, son of Sir
Richard Chichester, Kt,, of Raleigh in Devon-
shire, where this family had been settled for
some centuries pi*evious. From this lady's
time the estate has remained without inter-
ruption in the Chichester family, descending
lineally to the present owner.

This house is generally supposed to have
been built about five hundred and fifty years
ago by Walter Stapledon, the bishop of Exe-
ter, already mentioned, a prelate of high
repute in his own day, and in such favour
with King Edward the Second that he " made
him first of his privy councell, then Lord
Treasurer of England, and imploied him in
divers embassayes of great importance." The
bishop, however, in the end paid dearly for
the monarch's favour. In the war raised by
the Queen against her husband, the latter
wished to entrust London to his charge, but
the citizens, favouring the queen's faction,
set upon the bishop violently, and having
beheaded him in Cheapside, carried his body
to his own house without Temple Bar, and
buried it there in a heap of sand.

Hall, we must suppose to have been a
fitting residence for a prelate of his dignity,
and erected under his own direction. But
the wants of that age were far below the
modern ideas of comfort, and the present
possessor of the estate has pulled down and



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



121



rebuilt a considerable portion of the ancient
edifice. The style of architecture is Tudor,
a fashion that we so constantly find prevailing
in our country seats, and certainly much
more picturesque than the modern Grecian.

The House stands in a park stocked with
deer, abounding in fine old trees, and pictu-
resque from the undulating nature of the
ground. From here is an extensive view
over the valley, through which flows the
beautiful river

" Taw, which from her fount forced on with amorous

trill cs
And easily ambling down through the Devonian dales,
Brings with her Moul and Bray, her banks that gently

bathe,
Which on her dainty breast in many a silver swathe
She bears unto that bay where Barnstaple beholds
How her beloved Taw clear Torridge there eufolds."

HOUNTON HALL, Tamworth, in the county
of Stafford, the seat of Charles Edward Mous-
ley, Esq., in whose family this property has
been for centuries. The old house was pulled
down in 1836 and the present mansion raised
upon its site. Attached to the building is a
small Roman Catholic chapel, for the use of
the family, built in 1847 by the present
owner, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin
Mary. It is of the early English style of
architecture, which — perhaps from long-
established associations — seems peculiarly
adapted to that form of worship, appealing,
as it does, so strongly to the imagination.

SWAKELEYS, in the county of Middlesex,
the seat of Thomas T. Clarke, Esq. The
property has successively passed through
the hands of Sir William Harrington, Sir
Robert Viner, and Benjamin Lethieullier,
Esq., from which last it came to the Rev.
Thomas Clarke, grandfather of the present
proprietor.

This mansion, which was erected by Ed-
mund Wright, Esq., in the reign of Charles
the First, is in the Elizabethan style of archi-
tecture. It is a square, substantial building,
with two wings, that slightly project beyond
the centre. It is composed of brick, with
stone coigns, window-cases, and fittings. In
the upper story is a range of scroll-work
pediments. The entrance is through a porch
in a square central turret, which opens into
a hall paved with black and white stone.
At the end, nearest the door of entrance, is
a handsome carved screen, surmounted by a
bust of Charles the First, with a lion guardant
on either side. On the reverse of the screen
is a bust, in all probability meant to represent
the son of that unfortunate monarch; it is
also guarded by lions, who occupy a similar
position. A staircase of oak, with the
sides and the ceiling pointed, leads to a
suite of apartments, in which — as hi other
rooms of this desirable mansion — capacious
and well-proportioned dimensions are pleas-

VOL. II.



ingly blended with an air of domestic com-
fort.

The grounds appertaining to the House are
somewhat fiat, but they are yet not deficient
in picturesque interest from the abundance
of venerable trees that break up what might
otherwise be too uniform and monotonous.
Considerable remains of a more ancient fabric
— probably that mentioned by Norden — are
frequently discovered upon the premises.
From the evidence afforded by these frag-
ments it appears that the former mansion
occupied a site nearer to a small spread of
water, which ornaments the grouuds in the
front of the present House.

CARDEN PARK, Cheshire, the seat of John
Hurleston Leche, Esq. The name of the
township has been variously written Cawar-
den, Cawarthyn, Caurthin, Caurdyn, and
Carden, a variety of spelling that we so fre-
quently find occurring in the old designations
of places, to the great trouble of etymolo-
gists, who are actually puzzled in consequence
by the variety of interpretations suggested
to them by their teeming imaginations. One
thing, however, is certain; an ancient
family of this name was seated here before
the reign of Henry the Third, the male line
of which ended in, or near, the time of
Henry the Fourth, when William de Cawar-
den left four daughters and coheiresses, who
by marriage into the families of Leche, Fit-
ton, Oolborne, and Glutton, brought then-
several estates into those houses. At that
time there was a distinction of Lower and
Over Carden, which, however, no longer
exists ; and of these the two first-named
families became respectively possessed.
Subsequently Over-Carden devolved to the
Bradshaws of Pennington, in Lancashire, and
from them it was bought by Joseph Wor-
ral. In 1671, when Owen Fitton was lord
of the township of Over-Carden, we find
John Leech described as of Carden Hall.

In the time of the great civil war, the
Leche of the day was a stanch Royalist.
The natural consequence of this was that
Carden Hall became a place for the Parlia-
mentarians to reduce when they should have
the power. Accordingly on the 16th of
June, 1643, they plundered the place, and
carried off its owner as a prisoner.

This mansion forms no unpleasing adjunct
to a landscape singularly beautiful and pic-
turesque. Ormerod, one of the most correct,
yet at the same time most amusing of our
county historians, speaks of its situation in
glowing language, which, however, does not
in the least go beyond the truth. " The
grounds," he says, "lie under the higher
range of the Broxton Hills, but command,
nevertheless, a rich and extensive prospect
towards Chester and the Welsh hills. On

R



125



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



the higher parts of the estate, the rocks of
Garden Cliff and the woods mingle together
in the most picturesque manner, and below
them lies the venerable mansion-house em-
bosomed in timber."

The mansion is a timber house, and is one
of the most perfect specimens of that kind
of building that is now extant. Although
not coming within the more rigid rules of
legitimate architecture, nothing can well be
more picturesque than its external appear-
ance, with its numerous gable ends, its suc-
cessive projections, and its multiplied Eliza-
bethan windows, presenting a fretted show
to the eye like the frost-work of a winter's
morning. Nor is the interior at all deficient
either in convenience or elegance. The hall
is a noble room, rendered yet handsomer by
recent embellishments. It is forty-two feet
long, and very nearly nineteen feet wide, the
height being in excellent keeping with the
rest of its proportions. The walls are of
oak, divided into panels ; the mantel pieces
— also of wood — are richly carved, and the
oaken ceiling is separated into richly-
moulded compartments, having in some of
them the family achievements emblazoned
in the usual heraldic fashion.

The male line of the ancient stock of Car-
den be same extinct in the reign of Edward
the Third, and is now represented by the
present owner of the mansion. This gentle-
man traces his descent from John Leche,
who was surgeon to that monarch, and whose
father derived from the Leches of Chats-
worth, in Derbyshire.

DORFOLD HALL, in the county palatine of
Chester, one mile from Nantwich, and in the
parish of Acton, the seat of Mrs. Tomkinson.

The old Hall was built in the year 1618,
by Ralph Wilbraham, Esq. At that time,
and for long afterwards, it remained in the
Bromley family. In the beginning of the
seventeenth century it was pulled clown, and
a very extensive mansion built upon its site,
in the Elizabethan style of architecture, of
which it presents a singularly fine specimen,
constructed of brick and stone. The large
bay windows, the groups of massive chim-
neys towering on high, the various gable
ends, and the great extent of front, combine
in making it no less picturesque than im-
posing.

There is the same antique character pre-
vailing within, especially in the drawing-
room, which has an old elaborately-wrought
chimney-piece, while the carved ceiling is
profusely adorned with pendent ornaments.
The great civil war, which carried ruin into
so many of our fine old English mansions,
did not spare Dorfold. In 1643, Lord Capel,
then on his way to Nantwich, took posses-
sion of it, but was forced to withdraw the



very same night. ' This was in October, and
on the 2nd of the following January it was
taken by Lord Byron, who, however, was
compelled to surrender it not long after-
wards to Sir Thomas Fairfax, though pro-
bably less in earnest than many others of
the Parliamentarian leaders. It had indeed
very few natural advantages for defence,
standing as it does upon flat ground, the
general character of this part of the country.
The approach to the House is by an avenue,
the high road being at no great distance, and
adding much to the convenience of the inha-
bitants, though little to the picturesque
beauty of the place itself.

CALDECOTE HALL, near Atherstone, in the
county of Warwick, the seat of Kirkby
Fenton, Esq. This place, for many gene-
rations, continued to be the abode of the
Purefovs — a very ancient and powerful War-
wickshire family. They were seated here,
as a younger branch, in the reign of Edward
the Sixth, and so remained till the time of
Charles the First, when the only daughter
and heir of Colonel Purefoy, of the Parlia-
mentarian army, married a son of Arch-
bishop Abbot, who was translated from
London to the see of Canterbury, in 1610,
and died in 1633, at the advanced age of
seventy-one.

Daring the great civil war, Caldecote
Hall became as much distinguished for a
gallant defence as Lathom House, though
upon an opposite side of the dispute. Colo-
nel Purefoy, the then owner, was absent,
having the command of a body of troops
in service against the king, when Prince
Rupert, in his way through Warwick-
shire, happened to take the road which led
to Caldecote. This was upon the 28th of
August, 1642, and Rupert, who was accom-
panied by Prince Maurice, and had with him
eighteen troops of horse, immediately sum-
moned the occupants to open their gates to
the king's forces. This demand was abso-
lutely refused by those within ; yet the only
defenders of the place at the time were Mr.
Abbot and his mother, assisted by eight
men and the maid-servants — for even the
women seem to have been animated with the
same spirit as the maidens of Saragossa.
Indignant at this refusal, and supposing the
garrison to be much stronger than it really
w r as, Prince Rupert commenced a furious
attack, but was received with a cool and
well-directed fire that speedily killed three
officers and several of the men. Not one of
the defenders was hurt, though even the
women of their party boldly exposed them-
selves to the enemies' fire, loading the twelve
muskets — they had no more in the house —
as fast as they were discharged, and melting
down the pewter plates for bullets, when the



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



123



ammunition began to fail. At length, Rupert
found it prudent to withdraw his men under
shelter, while he devised some safer and
more effectual means of carrying on his
siege. It now occurred to him to set fire to
the barns and hay-stacks, and, as the wind
blew directly from the farm-yard, to advance
under cover of the smoke — a plan which so
far succeeded, that he got up to the very
door of the house without loss. There,
however, he was again met by the old obsti-
nacv of the defendants, and again repulsed.
According to the received tradition, the
lady then came forth, and claimed protection
for' her little garrison ; when the prince,
having ascertained their number, was so
much struck with admiration of their gallant
defence, that he magnanimously granted her
request. It is even said that he offered a
command in his own troop to Mr. Abbot,
which, however, was declined. He then re-
spectfully saluted Mrs. Purefoy, and drew
otf his troops ; nor would he allow a man of
the garrison, or any of their property, to
be injured.

The House is a modern structure of grey
stone, with a handsome west front, in the
stvle usually denominated English, but
which, strictly speaking, belongs to no spe-
cific class of architecture. The thing prin-
cipally studied in buildings of this kind is
internal convenience, and here this object is
fully attained. The House includes a fine
suite of apartments, consisting of drawing-
room, billiard-room, dining-room, and library,
opening to a spacious lawn, which is skirted
by the pleasant little River Anker.

In the grounds attached to the mansion
stands the church, an old and picturesque
fabric, that harmonises well with the sur-
rounding landscape. "Within it ate some
fine old monuments to the Purefoy family.
Amongst them, is one to the Mr. Abbot who
assisted in the gallant defence of the House
against Prince Rupert, and upon it is re-
curded the story of the siege as we have
given it above, the same in substance, though
not exactly in the same words.

FEGVEE, HALL, Cheshire, nearly three
miles south of hnutsford, the seat of Sir
Henry Mainwaring, Bart. For upwards of
thirty generations this manor continued to



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 27 of 73)