Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 30 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 30 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Turner, Esq. ; of William Lingwood, Esq., in
1G85, of Braintree ; and of John Savill, Esq.
By Anne Savill it was conveyed in mar-
riage, in 1763, to the Rev. Charles Onley, in
whose family the estate still remains.

The old Hall, built in 1557, was a very
curious building, but not suited to the de-
mands of modern life. It was a low struc-
ture, with many high pointed gables, and
square bay windows. The interior was al-
most entirely composed of oak panels, some
portion of which was richly carved.

The present new and elegant mansion was
built by Charles Savill Onley, Esq., in 1825,
and is in the Grecian style of architecture,
designed by the late Mr. Hakewill. It has
a handsome portico of Ionic columns, and
stands in a park of one hundred and thirty
acres, in a fine situation, commanding ex-
tensive views and much interesting home
scenery. The interior is highly finished in
the improved style of modern architecture It
contains, also, a good collection of paintings.



YOULSTON, Devonshire, in the parish of
Sherwell, the seat of Sir Arthur Chichester,
Bart., who is lord of the manors of Sherwell,
Stoke Rivers, Bratton Fleming, and Brendon.
In the time of Henry the First, Roceline de
Beaumont held this estate — a knight in such
high favour with the sovereign, that he gave
to him his natural daughter, Constance, in
marriage, and with her the manor of South
Taunton. His son, Richard Beaumont, who
was Viscount of Mayne, in Normandy, en-
joyed an equal degree of favour with Henry
the Second, through whose intervention his
daughter, Ermenyard, was married to AVil-
liam, King of Scotland ; the English monarch
not only honourhig the nuptials with his
presence, hut defraying also the expenses of
the ceremony.



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



133



Youlston, which is an old Gothic building,
was erected, in 151 G, by Hugh Beaumont.
The parish is remarkable for the number of
clear springs that bubble up naturally to the
surface of the ground, and hence its name,
Shcncell, a corruption of Clearioells.

LAMER, Hertfordshire, the seat of Charles
Benet Drake Garrard, Esq., a magistrate for
the county, who served as sheriff for the
same in 1839.

In the reign of Henry the Third, Pontius
Lamere was lord of this manor, to which he
gave his name. In process of time it came
into the hands of Sir William Roch, alder-
man of London, whose sole surviving daugh-
ter and heir conveyed it, by marriage, to Sir
William Boteler, of Woodhall. In the reign
of Edward the Sixth, their descendant,
Philip Boteler, sold it to Sir William Gar-
rard, Knt., of Sittingbourne, in the county
of Kent. In default of male heir, this pro-
perty at length devolved to Jane, daughter
of John Garrard, who married Montague
Drake, of Shardeloes, Bucks. Sir Bennet
Drake, dying unmarried, left it to Charles
Drake, Esq., fifth son of William Drake, of
Shardeloes, great-grandson of Jane, and
cousin of Sir Bennet, in compliance with
whose will he took the name and arms of
Garrard, in addition to his own.

It is not known at what precise time the
old mansion was built. About one hundred
years ago Sir Bennet Garrard altered it from
the Elizabethan style into a pile more con-
formable to the notions of his day, and per-
haps more convenient.

Queen Elizabeth, it is said, used to hunt
here frequently when residing at Hatfield ;
and according to a received tradition, Charles
the First slept in the house when on his way
from Oxford to join the Scotch army.

TY M&WR(Anglice,T\\e Great IIouse\ situ-
ated in the parish of Tredunnock, in the
county of Monmouth, about half way be-
tween the towns of Uske and Caerleon.

The house appears to have been originally
a large building, with stone-mullioned win-
dows, erected about the time of Henry VIII.,
when it belonged to John Morgan, Esq.,
half brother to Sir Thomas Morgan, Knt., of
Pen y Coed Castle, in the same county,
descended from the ancient family of Mor-
gan, of Tredegar.

The estate descended from father to son,
down to William Morgan, Esq., of Ty
Mawr, who died in 1705, leaving an only
child and heir, Florence Morgan, married in
1(393 to William Nicholl, Esq., of Llantwitt
Major, hi the county of Glamorgan, who be-
came possessed of the Tredunnock estate in
right of his wife, and by her left two sons.
William Nicholl, Esq., the eldest, lived and



died without issue at Ty Mawr. John
Nicholl, Esq., the youngest son, lived at The
Garn, situated in the same parish, adjoin-
ing Ty Mawr land. Some part of the house
appears of a more modern date than Ty
Mawr, having been built in Queen Eliza-
beth's reign, by the date 1581 over one of
the mantelpieces, at which time it belonged
to Roger Morgan, Esq., of The Garn. The
wmdows have stone mullions, labelled ; and
at the time Roger Morgan resided at The
Garn, it must have been a large house for
the period. John Nicholl, Esq., resided at
The Garn, whilst his eldest brother lived at
Ty Mawr. John married Anne, daughter
and heiress of Edward Herbert, Esq , and
left two sons with other issue. The elder
son, William Nicholl, Esq., who became pos-
sessed of The Garn, as well as Ty Mawr, and
other property in Tredunnock, married
Jane, only sister and heiress of William
Perrott, Esq., of Court Perrott, in the parish
of Llandegveth, in the same county, and died
hi 1813, having been High Sheriff for the
county of Monmouth in 1775. His only
child and heiress, Jane, married Anthony
Montonnier Hawkins, Esq., of The Gaer,
who died in 1833, leaving, with other issue,
Henry Montonnier Hawkins, Esq., a magis-
trate for the county of Monmouth ; and thus
The Gaer and Tredunnock property became
united. In The Garn House, is still to be
seen a dungeon, in which it has been handed
down the last Roman Catholic priest was
hid for some time, when it was not safe for a
Roman Catholic ecclesiastic to be at large in
the county. The scenery about The Garn is
very beautiful, the house being built on a
rock, from which the name is most likely
derived, and the ground falls very rapidly at
the back to a dingle, at the bottom of which
flows a pretty little stream of water. The
gardens, a few years ago, had the character
of the style of house, yew trees, box hedges,
and prim-looking flower-beds, and terrace
>valks, but time has altered them to a modern
appearance.

THE GAES, Monmouthshire, in the parish
of Saint Woollos, and about two miles on the
road from Newport to Cardiff, the seat of
Henry Montonnier Hawkins, Esq.

The Gaer was built in the reign of Queen
Elizabeth by Alexander Seys, Esq., second
son of Roger Seys, Esq., of Boverton Castle,
in the parish of Llantwitt-Major, in the
county of Glamorgan. Roger Seys was At-
torney-general of all Wales in the time of
the Queen just mentioned.

The Gaer remained in the Seys family until
the death of William Seys, Esq., high sheriff
for the county in 1738. He left four daughters,
his coheirs. Florence, his third daughter,
married Henry Montonnier Hawkins, Esq.,



134



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



who died in May, 1814, possessed of The
Gaer estate in right of his wife, leaving an
only child, the late Anthony Montonnier
Hawkins, Esq. In the life- time of the last-
named gentleman, The Gaer House was en-
tirely altered, the Elizabethan character being
destroyed, and a modern front substituted
without any particular style of architecture.
It stands upon a slight eminence, which com-
mands an extensive and beautiful prospect
over the Bristol Channel to the opposite
coast of Somersetshire. At one point the
grounds extend to Tredegar Park, the pro-
perty of Sir Charles Morgan, Bart., on the
highest portion of which are the remains of
a Roman fort, or encampment. Hence, in
all likelihood came the name of the adjoining
property, the word Gaer signifying a fort in
the Welsh language.

EGGLESCLIFFE, near Yarm, in the county
of Durham, the seat of Thomas William
Waldy, or Waldie, Esq. The present house
was built in 1772, and is a plain, but sub-
stantial village mansion.

The village, from which it derives its name,
occupies an elevated point of land, rising up
from the River Tees, and commanding a good
view of its beautiful vale, and of the pictu-
resque Cleveland Hills of Yorkshire. During
the civil war it became a military post of
some importance while the royalists held
Stockton.

John Waldie of Kelso, N.B., married Anne,
youngest dau. of the Rev. Edward Walters,
M.A., incumbent of Yarm, co. York, in 16G9
(grandson of William Waiter of Wandsford,
by Elizabeth Vavasour, his wife, niece of
Sir Wm. Vavasour of Hazlewood), and the
grandson of this marriage, the late John
Waldy, Esq. of Yarm, inherited from the
Walters' family lands at Eggleseliffe, now the
property of his son Thomas William Waldy,
Esq.

SPRINGFIELD HCUSE, in the county of
Warwick, the seat of Joseph Moore Boult-
bee, Esq. The old building was pulled down
about the year 1795, and a new house
erected in its place, but upon another site,
by Richard Moland, Esq. At his death it
was sold to Joseph Boultbee, Esq., grand-
lather of the present proprietor. Spring-
field House is a plain brick edifice standing
upon a slight eminence amongst well-tim-
bered grounds, and commanding a fine view
of the River Blythe. The "gardens and
grounds are well laid out, and interspersed
with pools of water, many of the oaks, that
abound here, being of great size and
antiquity.

A

PLAS CLOUGH, in the county of Denbigh,
a mile from the market -town of that



name, the seat of Richard Butler Clough,
Esq., a magistrate and deputy lieutenant for
Denbighshire, and formerly a captain in the
county militia.

The date of this building is uncertain, but
it is generally supposed to have been erected
by Richard Clough, called by his countrymen
and neighbours Richard Hen, that is,
" Richard the Old," hen in Welsh signifying
aged, as in the well-known adage,

" Azved angeu i hen."
Death is mature for the aged.

In his case the soubriquet was exceedingly
appropriate, for he lived in no less than five
reigns— namely, in that of Henry VII., of
Henry VIIL, of Edward VI., of Mary, and
of Elizabeth. He was father of Sir Richard
Clough, who became an eminent merchant,
and was partner with Sir Thomas Gresham,
who, at Sir Richard's suggestion, built the
Royal Exchange. Sir Richard repaired in
1507 the house of Pliis Clough, and erected
in the Dutch style of architecture near
Denbigh, the curious mansion of Bachegraig.
This latter seat he gave to his daughter,
Katharine, wife of Roger Salusbury, D.C.L.,
and with her descendants it remahied until
devised by Hester Lynch Salusbury, the
celebrated Mrs. Piozzi, the friend and cor-
respondent of Johnson, to Sir John P. Salus-
bury, of Brynbella. Dr. Johnson, in the
diary of his journey in North Wales, refers
to Baphegraig as " an old house built in
1567 in an uncommon and incommodious
form," but he commends the woods and
grounds. Pennant thus speaks of the
place : "Not far from Drimerchion lies half
buried in woods the singular house of
Bach y Graig. It consists of a mansion of
three sides, enclosing a square court : the
first comprises a vast hall and parlour, the
rest of it rises into six wonderful storeys,
including the cupola ; and forms, from
the second floor, the figure of a pyramid.
The rooms are small and inconvenient. The
bricks are admirable, and appear to have
been made in Holland; and the model of
the house was probably brought from Flan-
ders, where this kind of building is not un-
frequent. It was built by Sir Richard Clough,
an eminent merchant, in the reign of Queen
Elizabeth. The initials of his name are in
iron on the front, with the date 15G7, and on
the gateway 1569."

Sir Richard Clough went on a pilgrimage
to Jerusalem, and received on his return the
honour of knighthood. He died at Antwerp
in 1570, and his remains were interred there,
with the exception of his right hand and
heart, which he desired might be transmitted
to his native parish of Denbigh in a silver
urn, to be deposited in the coffin of the last



SEATS OF GKEAT BRITAIN



135



possessor of his property. Plas Clough de-
volved on his son Richard, and has descended
regularly to the present Richard Butler
Clough, Esq.

Plas Clough is situated in the vale of
Clywd, commanding a beautiful view of the
ruined castle, and of the Clydian range of
hills that close in the valley upon the east.
It may be described as an Elizabethan build-
ing with stepped gables, upon a handsome
lawn, and surrounded by shrubberies that
thrive here in much luxuriance.



NOLTLAND CASTLE, in the Orkney island
of Westray, the seat of David Balfour, Esq.,
of Balfour and Trenabie. This castle is
supposed to have been built hi 1442-48 by
Thomas Tulloch, Bishop of Orkney, at a
time when the islands of Orkney belonged to
Norway. It was the summer residence of
the Bishops of Orkney, who gave it the
name of Nolta Land — " land of repose or
leisure." The last Popish bishop, Adam
Bothwell, bestowed it on his brother-in-law,
Sir Gilbert Balfour, since when it has remained
in the family of Balfour.

In 1567 it was repaired by Sir Gilbert
Balfour, master of the household of Queen
Mary, for the reception of his royal mistress,
had she been able to escape to the north from
Lochleven Castle. In 1593 it was besieged
and taken by Earl Patrick, so cruelly fa-
mous in the local history of these islands. It
was in after times yet more remarkable as
having been the last residence of the great
Montrose, prior to the campaign which so
ingloriously concluded his so glorious career.

Noltland Castle is one of the most impos •
ing remains of feudal strength and grandeur
to be found in the north, standing upon the
bank of a small lake in the Orkney island of
Westray. An exquisite view of this feudal
fortress is given in the Baronial and Ecclesi-
astical Antiquities of Billings and Burn. From
the immense thickness of the walls, and the
numerous loop-holes, it was evidently designed
for a place of defence when originally con-
structed. The shape of it approaches to the
oblong, enclosing a court, within which is
the entry to the main building, of orna-
mented hewn-work. Nearly in the centre,
and upon the ground flat, is an immense
room, that in its day evidently served for the
accommodation of the garrison. It is sixty-
two feet long by twenty-four feet wide, with
a strong arch of stone above twenty feet high,
and an arched built fire-place nearly ten feet
in width at one end, and a spring-well at the
other.

The motto attached to the arms of the
family now possessing Noltland Castle is
curious, as being a sort of legend of times
gone by. It is " fordward," in allusion to



the office of warding the Frith of Forth.
The family of Balfour held the Isle of May,
at the mouth of the frith, on the tenure of
lighting a beacon on the approach of an
enemy.

The little isle of Westray is by no means
the least interesting amongst the Orkneys.
It is of a very irregular form, its superficial
contents not much exceeding twenty or per-
haps twenty-three miles, has four lakes, and,
besides several small creeks, has three or
four bays of tolerable size. A rare sort of
mouse is found here, nearly twice the size of
the black mouse, of a light-brown colour,
and called by the inhabitants the vole mouse.
And yet it is said that no rat can live
here.

One old writer tells us • " Of all the
islands in Orkney, Westray is the most fer-
tile. Here the better sort of people make
their residence. There is an excellent fort"
— Noltland Castle — " not yet finished. Here
the peasants, or country people, had of old
a terrible battle with the Hibernians or
Lewismen, which being routed, were all put
to the sword. One individual, however,
more gallant and robust, eminently distin-
guished himself, fighting after the rest of
his companions were destroyed. Having had
both his legs cut off below the hams, he was
seen in the affray upon his stumps bravely
defending himself." Notwithstanding the
utter impossibility of the thing here de-
scribed, it would be hard, indeed, to refuse
belief to it when the rock, against which he
leant as he fought, to this day bears the
name of the Highlandman 's Hammer, in
commemoration of his defence and the sturdy
blows he laid about him.

The possessor of Noltland Castle owns
also



BALFOUK, in the Island of Shapinsey, in
the same county, where he principally re-
sides. The original House, erected in 1780-90,
by Colonel Thomas Balfour, has been lately
almost entirely rebuilt in the old Scottish
style of architecture of the middle or end of
the sixteenth century, and the naturally
magnificent site has been improved to the
utmost by the architectural skill and genius
of David Bryce. Balfour is now one of the
most beautiful seats in the north of Scot-
land.



APLEY CASTLE, near Wellington, Salop,
the seat of St. John Chiverton Charlton,
Esq., a magistrate for the county. This
estate has been for many ages in the family
of Charlton. There is a royal charter (still in
the possession of the family) dated 1 Edward
L, authorising Alan de Charlton to castellate



136



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



and embattle his mansion of Apley, which
thus, as affording a useful stronghold, be-
came a subject of contest between the Cava-
liers and the Roundheads — the latter of
whom stormed it, under Colonel Ellis. • The
affair is narrated, in his usual quaint way, by
Richard Baxter, who married a daughter of
Francis Charlton, Esq., and wrote what he
called a breinate of her life.

" We were born," he says, "in the same
county, within three miles and a half of each
other ; but she of one of the chief families
in the county ; and I but of a mean free-
holder — called a gentleman for his ancestors'
sake — but of a small estate, though suffi-
cient. Her father, Francis Charlton, Esq.,
was one of the best justices of the peace in
that county : a grave and sober worthy man,
but did not marry till he was aged and gray,
and so died while his children were very
young, who were three, of which the eldest
daughter and his only son are yet alive. He
had one surviving brother, who, after the
father's death, maintained a long and costly
suit about the guardianship of the heir (yet
living). This unkle, Robert, was a comely,
sober gentleman ; but the wise and good
mother, Mary, durst not trust her only son
in the hands of one that was his next heir.
And she thought that nature gave her a
greater interest in him than an unkle had.
But it being in the heat of the late civil war,
Robert, being for the parliament, had the
advantage of strength, which put her to seek
relief at Oxford from the king, and after-
wards to marry one Mr. Hanmer, who was
for the king, to make her interest that way.
Her house, being a sort of a small castle,
was now garrisoned for the king. But at
last Robert procured it to be besieged by
the parliament's soldiers, and stormed and
taken where the mother and the children
were, and saw part of their buildings burnt
and some lye dead before their eyes ; and so
Robert got possession of the children.

" But at last she, by great wisdom and
diligence, surprised them, and secretly con-
veyed them to one Mr. Bernards, in Essex,
and secured them against all his endea-
vours."

Upon the son, who had been the bone of
so much contention, coming of age, the
mother took a separate house for herself and
her daughters, and here it was that Baxter
first became acquainted with his future wife,
Margaret.

The present mansion was built about 1790,
not more than two hundred yards from the
old castle, by St. John Charlton, Esq.,
uncle of the present possessor, it is a plain,
but substantial, brick house, and deficient in
none of the modern requisites for conve-
nience.

The ruins of the ancient castle still re?



main, and from these it would appear to
have been an edifice of much beauty.

THE PRIORY, Wherwell, Hampshire,
about four miles from the town of Andover,
the seat of William Iremonger, Esq. It was
in the olden time a Benedictine nunnery,
founded in, or near, 986, by Elfrida, wife of
King Edgar, surnamed the Peaceable, as an
expiation for having caused the murder of
her first husband, Athelwold, or Ethehvohl,
that she might become a queen, and of her
step-son, King Edward the Martyr, that her
own son, Ethelred, might obtain a crown.
She had in vain opposed the election of
Edward to the vacant throne, the Witena-
gemote voting unanimously in his favour,
and thus defeated, she did not hesitate a
moment about removing him out of her way.
In the meanwhile, she maintained an external
show of good will, deceived by which, Ed-
ward one day out hunting, stopped at her
castle-gate, Corfe Castle, in Dorsetshire, and
without dismounting from his horse, received
a cup of mead. While in the act of drinking,
he was stabbed hi the back by an assassin,
prepared beforehand for the purpose, and
dropped lifeless. Nor were these the only
murders attributed to her at the thne, and
confirmed by subsequent historians. Upon
a certain day, it happened that Saint Britho-
nodus, the Prior of Ely Monastery, was
journeying through the New Forest, on his
way to the royal court, when, on looking
round, he suddenly perceived the queen be-
neath a tree, employed in the unholy rites of
magic. Hereupon he made a speedy retreat,
and went on his way to the king, by whom
he was received with all love and honour.
Having attained the object of his mission, he
prepared to return, but unwilling to offend
the queen by any show of neglect, although
he detested her practices, he obeyed a sum-
mons to visit her, under pretence of wishing
to consult him upon matters touching the
health of her soul. She was alone, and, like
Potiphar, would fain have ensnared the good
man ; but he firmly played the part of Joseph,
and she being at length convinced that all
her arts must fail with one so holy, called in
some of her women, and ordered them to
slay him. That the body might betray no
symptoms of the violence used upon it, she
desired them to heat a sword red hot and
thrust it up him, the same agonizing form of
death that was practised on Edward II. hi
Berkley Castle, —

" The shrieks of death through Berkley's roof that ring-,
Shrieks of an agonizing king."

The murder was undiscovered at the time,
and would probably have so continued, but
that the queen, in due process of time, being
seized with remorse, made a penitential con-



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



137



fession of all her crimes, and sought to atone
for them by founding Wherwell Priory at
her own expense. Thither, when completed,
she retired for the remainder of her life ; and
there, when she died, was buried, with all
the honours due to her former rank and sub-
sequent piety.

The dissolution of monasteries threw this,
as it did all other ecclesiastical establish-
ments, into the hands of Henry, who how-
ever was not in general a niggard of his
plunder. Wherwell was shortly afterwards
granted to Lord Delaware, in exchange for
other property. It was next bought by Cutler
Boulton, Esq., and by him bequeathed to his
niece, Lady Fryer, who had three daughters.
One of them married Joshua Iremonger, and
he bought the shares of the other two, hav-
ing for that purpose disposed of the family
estate in Berkshire.

The Priory has been much modernized, to
adapt it to the purposes of modern life ; an
old convent, as may well be supposed, having
little that is essential to convenience, as the
word is now understood. The River Test
runs through the park, which consists of
about eighty acres, and a branch of the same
stream passes under the centre of the house.

EOLTONHALL, Yorkshire, near Skipton
in Craven, the seat of Mrs. Mary Littledale,
eldest daughter of the late Pudsey Dawson,
Esq., of Langcliffe Hall, and widow of An-
thony Littledale, Esq. In the time of Henry
the First this was possessed, among other
large estates, by Oughtred de Bolton. His
descendant, Catherine de Bolton, conveyed it
by marriage to Simon de Pudsey, a direct
descendant of Hugh de Pudsey, Bishop of
Durham and Earl of Northumberland, a
nephew of King Stephen. In the Pudsey
family it remained until 1728, when upon the
death of Ambrose Pudsey, Esq., it passed to
his nephews, Christopher, who died unmar-
ried, and then to Ambrose, the sons of his
sister Jane and William Dawson, Esq., of
Langcliffe Hall. Pudsey Dawson, the son of
Ambrose, sold the estate in 1804 to John
Bolton, Esq, who resold it in 1833 to Mrs.
Littledale (the eldest daughter of Pudsey



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 30 of 73)