Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 37 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 37 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and heiress of Lord Ross, in right of whom
the late earl also inherited the estate of
Hawkhead, in Renfrewshire. The fourth
and late earl also acquired the estate of Etal,
hi Northumberland, by marriage with the
daughter of the Earl of Errol, and heiress
of the family of Carr. This has descended
to his daughter, Lady Augusta FitzClarence.
His only surviving son, by his first marriage,
is the present Earl of Glasgow, who married
Miss Hay Mackenzie, of Cromarty. The
late earl married secondly, Julia, daughter
of Sir John Sinclair, Bart., of Ulbster, by
whom he has a son, the Hon. George Boyle,
and a daughter, the Lady Diana Pakington.

Besides Kelburn, which is the place of his
usual residence, the Earl of Glasgow has
several seats : Hawkhead near Paisley, the
residence of the Lords Ross ; Kilbirney
Castle in the northern part of Ayrshire, now
in ruins, but once the abode of the ancient
knightly family of Crawfurd, and of their
successors, the Viscounts Garnock ; and
Crawford Priory in Fifeshire; the mansion
of the Earls of Crawford and Lindsay. The
islands of Cumbrae lying opposite to Kelburn
are the property of his lordship. And in the
larger Cumbrae is situated the cheerful and
flourishing little town of Millport. But this
island has of late received a remarkable ac-
cession of interest by the splendid and beauti-
ful works of piety of the Hon. George Boyle,
who inhabits the garrison, close to the town
of Millport, with his mother the Countess
Dowager. Mr. Boyle has, at very great
expense, erected a beautiful Gothic church,
for the service of the Church of England ; and
adjoining to it, a college for the education of
young men for the ministry of the church,
and the service of the choir. It is impossible
to speak in terms of too high admiration of
the piety and munificence of this endowment,
and of the pure and refined taste with which
the work is executed. The church and col-



SEATri OF GREAT BRITAIN.



1G.-



lege, raised on terraces, and commanding
beautiful views in the midst of the
most pleasing scenery of the west coast of
Scotland, is one of the most striking objects
in rhe Frith of Clyde. And it is impossible
to see them, and to know the good purpose
to which they are destined, without lively
admiration of the heart that devised them
and the head that executed them.



LOCHNAW CASTLE, Wigtonshire, in the
parish of Stranraer, the seat of Sir Andrew
Agnew, Bart. It is generally believed that
the name of Agnew, or Agneau, is of Nor-
man origin ; and that the family came in at
the time of the Conquest. We next see them
settled at Larne in Ulster, the Agneau of that
day having assisted Sir John de Courcy in
subjugating that province, and subsequently
they wei - e styled Lords of Larne. But in
the reign of David II. the Lord of Larne
would seem to have come over to Scotland,
where he acquired the lands of Lochnaw, and
was appointed heritable constable of its
castle. In 1430 his great-grandson obtained
a charter under the great seal confirming to
him the possession of the lands and barony
of Lochnaw, and granting him the office of
heritable Sheriff of Wigton. In the parlia-
mentary ratification of the family dignities
passed in 1661 we find am] le proofs of its
high antiquity, the deed expressly stating
that they have enjoyed them "past all me-
morie of man."

The shrievalty of "VYigton remained for
twelve generations in this family, until in
1747 heritable jurisdictions were abolished.
In compensation fur this loss, Lieutenant-
General Sir Andrew Agnew, the then pos-
sessor of the office, received no less a sum
than £4000 ; and he well deserved it, for he was
a distinguished man. Many are the anecdotes
related of him, for to his higher qualities he
added that of being a humourist. His laconic
address to the troops under his command
when upon the eve of action, has been often
repeated — " W eel, lads, ye see these loons
on the hill there ; if ye dinna kill them,
they'll kill you."

liayfair gives us the following anecdote
of him when he was guarding a pass before
the expected battle of Dettingen. Just at
the dinner hour he was warned that a body
of the enemy's cavalry was advancing upon
his post — " The loons," exclaimed Sir An-
drew, " will never hae the impudence to
attock the Scots Fusiliers." And he ordered
his men to take dinner, alleging that they
would fight all the better for it. To the
dismay of his officers, who witnessed the
gradual approach of the enemy, he set them
the example; until at last, as he was in the
act of picking a bone, a shot struck it out



of his hand, upon Avhich, declaring "they were
in earnest now," he rose and made arrange-
ments for meeting the enemy. Observing
the French cuirassiers coming on at a charg-
ing pace upon him, he well knew that the
usual mode of resistance to this manoeuvre
would be useless, as these troops, which were
of the royal household, were mounted on
the best horses, and not only provided with
iron cuirasses, but had them also buckled
on to the saddles, so that the bayonet could
make no impression. lie therefore ordered
his men to open to allow the cavalry to pass
between the platoons, knowing that they
would retreat as soon as they discovered the
main body of the army. On their return
he ordered his men not to fire " 'till they
saw the white of their een," and to aim at
the horses ; by which means, on the cattle
falling, their riders, bound to the saddles,
were speedily despatched, or taken prisoners.
After the action, the king observed to the
worthy baronet, " So, Sir Andrew, I hear
you let the French get in amongst us ? "
" Yes, please your Majesty," replied he, "but
they did na win back again."

Lochnaw was originally a royal castle, and
is supposed to have been built at a very early
date : the family of Agnew were in the first in-
stance appointed constables of it, and it came
into their possession about the year 1400, was
considerably enlarged by them in 1603, and
a handsome new pile added to it by the
seventh baronet in 1820. This last, which
is in the style of the Elizabethan manor-
house, harmonises admirably with the ancient
castellated portions. The whole stands upon
an elevated terrace, cut in slopes after the
Dutch fashion, and projecting into the lake
of Lochnaw. On one of the islands in this
piece of water are the ruins of an ancient
castle, a strong-hold of the family in the
olden days, and a place of refuge in tune of
war. Immediately behind the House rises a
beautifully wooded hill that attains a con-
siderable elevation. The Park is extensive,
including many delightful drives and walks,
and commanding from the higher spots mag-
nificent views of the fine lake, Lochryan —
between eight and nine miles long — the Irish
Channel, Arran, and the Ayrshire coast.



STOREY THORPE, in the country of War-
wick, the seat of Henry Thomas Chamber -
layne Esq., a magistrate for the county,
and high-sheriff in 1836. It has taken its
name from the rocky condition of the ground,
and from the Anglo-Saxon word Thorpe,
signifying a hamlet.

In the reign of Edward the Second this
manor was possessed by Robert Sampson,
who sold it to Sir William de Bereford,
Knight. In course of time, from default



1GG



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



of heir male, it devolved to Joan de Elles-
field, grandchild to one of the sisters and
coheir of Edmund de Bereford, who had
married Gilbert de Ellesfield. Joan married
John Hore of Childerley in Cambridge-
shire, and in conjunction with her
husband passed this estate away to William
Hore of Elmedon, whose posterity in the
male line enjoyed it till the beginning of
Henry the Eighth's reign, when Joan, daughter
and heir of Robert Hore, conveyed it by
marriage to Nicholas Hanslap. From the fa-
mily of Hanslap it came to Ambrose Holbech,
Esq., of Mollington, of whom it was purchased
by John Chamberlayne, Esq., and he dying
without issue, left it to his brother, and in
his descendants it still continues.

Stoney Thorpe is the only remaining house
in the hamlet of the same name in the parish
of Long Itchingtou. The period at which
it was built is no longer known, but it is an
old English mansion, of a picturesque ap-
pearance, and by no means deficient in the
requisites for modern convenience. The
grounds are well wooded and watered by the
River Itchin, which has given its name to
the parish.



CHAKBOROTJGH PARK, in the county of
Dorset, the seat of John Samuel Wanley
Sawbridge Erie Drax, Esq., M.P., a captain in
the East Kent Militia, and captain-com-
mandant of the Charborough yeomanry
cavalry. There are some uncertainties and
some interruptions in the descent of the
manor of Charborough. In the reign of
Henry III., it was held by Richard Mar-
shall of the king in chief, and we succes-
sively find it possessed by families of the
name of Pounton, Ivelton, Morville, Pleys,
and Camels, the last of whom dying without
issue, his sister and heir, Joan, brought it
by marriage to John Wikes, of Bindon in
Axmouth, co. Devon. Mary, the daughter
and co-heiress of his son, conveyed the pro-
perty by marriage to Walter Erie, Esq.,
the descendant of a very ancient and
knightly family, at one time established in
Somersetshire. From the Erles it was con-
veyed by the marriage of a sole daughter
and heiress into the family of Drax.

The old House of Charborough was burnt
down in the great civil war by the forces
of Charles I. ; the then proprietor, Sir
Walter Erie, Knight, being a stanch
friend to the side of the republicans. He
was a member of the Long Parliament,
having sat for the borough of Wareham,
and commanded the parliamentary forces at
the taking of Corfe Castle, then gallantly
defended by the Lady Bankes. The triumph
of his party allowed him to rebuild his
destroyed mansion, which he did on the



same site, upon the sloping side of a little
valley, which was surrounded by hills
covered in every direction, except the north,
with trees. It was built of a red stone
found in the neighbouring heath, its principal
front being towards the north-east.

The knight's mansion was modernized by
the late Richard Erie Drax Grosvenor,
Esq., under the directions of Mr. Nash,
though a principal beam in one of the
cellars, brought from Corfe Castle, still re-
mains to witness for his achievements. Sir
Ralph Bankes did indeed lay claim to this
beam, after the Restoration, but was per-
suaded to abandon his demand for a valuable
consideration. The present proprietor has also
made considerable additions and improve-
ments, having built a picture-gallery and
formed an armoury.

In the pleasure-grounds is a grotto,
memorable as having been the meeting place
of certain patriotic gentlemen, who assem-
bled there in the year 1G88, to concert
measures for expelling King James II. from
the kingdom, and bringing over his son-in-
law the Prince of Orange. Over it is an
inscription, of which the concluding lines
are very much to the purpose. " Consider
that your liberties procured by the virtues
of your ancestors, must be maintained by
yourselves." It was erected by Thomas
Erie Drax, Esq.

The Park has been much enlarged by the
present owner, for which a favourable
opportunity was offered by the formation
of a new turnpike road, from Wimborne to
Dorchester, planned and completed by his
exertions in the years 1841-2. He has also
erected in the bounds of the Park, and
towering above the wood a handsome Gothic
tower. It is one hundred and twenty feet
high, commanding a wide and extensive
prospect over the adjacent country. In a
clear day may be seen from it the Isle of
Wight, with great part of Hampshire and
Wiltshire, most of the western part of the
county, and Alfred's Tower in Somersetshire.

In the House are many valuable paintings,
for the most part family portraits, but some
few from their subjects are of a more
general interest. Among the latter are
portraits of the Duke of Marlborough, the
Earl of Galway, General Hawley, the unfor-
tunate commander at the battle of Falkirk,
a whole length of Frederick, Prince of
Wales, &c.



LONGLEAT,— originally Langalcte, Longa-
lata — Wiltshire, about four miles and a half
from Warminster, and on the confines of this
county with Somersetshire, the seat of the
Marquess of Bath.

At an early period there existed on this



i












PQ / B3W ^&SX?3?*




5j



n

-



©*

Cr
©= CO



fig u3



LQ



jo) <;
© X

fool



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



107



ground a small priory of Black Canons of
the Order of St. Augustine, and dedicated
to Saint Radigund. Its foundation has by-
some been attributed to Sir John Vernun, or
Vernon, Knt., but on this point nothing is
known with certainty. If by him, he was a
Sheriff for AViltshire in the time of Henry
the Third, and was still living towards the
end of that monarch's reign. At the dis-
solution of religious houses, the site and re-
maining lands of the priory were granted by
the crown to Sir John Horsey, of Clifton, in
Dorsetshire, and to Edward, Earl of Hert-
ford, from whom the whole was purchased a
few months afterwards by Sir John Thynne,
with whose descendants the estate has since
remained.

The original family name of the Thynnes
was Bouteville, or Boteville, the appellation
of Thynne having been first assumed by a
John Bouteville in the time of the wars
between York and Lancaster who from his
living in one of the Inns of Court, was called
John of the Inn or Ynne, corrupted after-
wards into John Thynne.

The Boutevilles came into England during
the reign of King John, from the province
of Poitou, in France, and commanded the
Poitevins, whom that monarch had sum-
moned to his aid against his revolted barons.
They were two brothers, Geoffrey and
Oliver, from the former of whom descended
that branch of the family which settled at
Longleat, and took the name of Thynne,
alias Bouteville, as appears from the first
edition of Chaucer's works, published by
William Thynne, and dedicated to Henry
the Eighth, with whom he was in especial
favour, holding the office of chief clerk of
the kitchen.

His nephew, Sir John Thynne, the raiser
of the present family, was knighted at the
battle of Musselbourgh — ■ fought by the
English against the Scotch— and knighted
while his wounds were yet fresh and bleeding.
In farther recompense for his valour, which
had been conspicuous on this hard-fought
day, he had the Scotch lion given to him as
an addition to his arms. During the reign
of Mary, he was chief officer of the house-
hold to the Princess Elizabeth, afterwards
Queen of England ; but from a dread of religi-
ous persecution, he was seldom about her per-
son, and when she came to reign he retired to
his estate of Longleat, which he had before
for many years neglected, and began to erect
the noble mansion that even still exists there,
though not without alterations. The founda-
tion was laid in the month of January,
1567, from which period the building con-
tinued in progress till 1579, and even then he
had completed little more than the shell and
a small portion of the interior, when a short
time afterwards he died. His decease took



place in 1580, and the work, he had thus
commenced, was finished by his son and
grandson, the latter of whom was created
Lord Weymouth by Charles the Second.

The plan of the original edifice has by .
some been attributed to an Italian artist
called John of Padua, and probably with
reason ; but if the design belonged to
him, there can be no doubt that Sir John was
his own acting architect, and may claim the
merit of execution. This is evident from the
account -books relative to the building of
Longleat, and which are still preserved there
among other family muniments and records.
From the same documents we also learn,
that upwards of eight thousand pounds were
expended upon labour alone, the stone and
timber employed upon the edifice coming
from his own estate, and the cost of carriage
not being taken into this calculation.

"The House of Longleat," says Mr. Brit-
ton, " which, from its grandeur, strikes every
beholder with astonishment, is said to be the
only regular pile of Grecian architecture
here, of the sixteenth century, in the king-
dom. It is an oblong of 220 feet, by 180,
and 60 feet high ; it is built entirely of free
stone, ornamented with pilasters of the
Doric, Ionic and Corinthian Orders, with en-
riched capitals and cornices. It consists of
three principal fronts, and the original design
had a fourth front, which, as tradition says,
was burnt down while building ; and, it being
necessary to have offices in that part of the
house, the front was never rebuilt. The
whole three fronts are surmounted by a
handsome balustrade ; on the east and south
sides of which are eight colossal stone statues.
Longleat may be truly said to be not only
one of the largest and most magnificent
seats, but also one of the most desirable
places of residence in the kingdom."

In 1663, Sir James Thynne gave a magni-
ficent entertainment at Longleat to Charles
II., and 1789, George III. and Queen
Charlotte honoured this mansion with their
presence.

Though many membersof the Thynne family
were highly distinguished in their day, it may
be doubted whether the most eminent of
them have obtained such lasting considera-
tion as the Thomas Thynne, who fell the
victim of a cruel and atrocious murder
in the year 1682. He had obtained the
hand of the Lady Elizabeth, the heiress of
the noble family of Percy, and this union
having disappointed the hopes of Count Ko-
nigsmark, a needy German adventurer, who
had aspired to the same good fortune, the
latter determined to get rid of his success-
ful rival, Tom of Ten Thousand as he was
called from his large income. For this
purpose he employed the agency of a Pole,
who joined with him in the enterprise two



1G8



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



other foreign ruffians of a most determined
character, C. Vratz and J. Stenn.

A pamphlet of the day, now become ex-
ceedingly scarce, gives the following minute
account of the murder : —

" An impartial account of the bloody
murther committed upon the body of Thomas
Thin, Esq.

" On (Sunday the 12th, instant, 1682, this
worthy gentleman, deceased, byname Thomas
Thin, Esq., having been accompanied by,
and honoured with the presence of his Grace
the Duke of Monmouth, the major part of
the day, were about seven or eight of the
clock at night, returning to their respective
habitations, the Duke parting with the afore-
said gentleman at a place which he thought
convenient, before he came to the habita-
tion of the deceased, after many friendly
farewells on both sides, this Squire's coach
drove on, and coming to a place known by
the name of Fall Mall, near Piccadilly, his ser-
vants perceived three persons on horseback,
riding towards the coach, but not dreading
any harm, took little cognizance of them,
till on a sudden riding up close to the coach,
one of them fired (as is supposed a blun-
derbus, or) a musquetoon into the coach,
which mortally wounded the said gentleman,
and so amazed the servants, that they knew
not how to look one upon the other; but
rinding their master wounded, made what
haste they could after these bloody-minded
wretches, crying murder, murder ; but they
conscious of their hellish fact, by the help
of their horses got off without being taken,
and, as some say crying, a race, a race, as
they rid ; but yet the pursuit (though in vain
that nignt) ceased not, for notwithstanding
the diligence of the servants in searching
and pursuing, no discovery could be made.
This amazing and unwelcome news came at
last, and in little time too, to the ear of his
Sovereign Majesty, who to shew his dis-
pleasure against such bloody and barbarous
cruelties, he immediately dispatches orders
to the sea-ports for the strict examination of
all persons about to transport themselves
beyond sea, and also for a diligent search to
be made here in town, hoping thereby to
find out these base and wicked actors of this
horrible murder ; but they, accompanied
with the horror of gnawing consciences, had
as I suppose, lodged themselves securely
from the eyes of the world, but the all-seeing
eye of the Almighty, which cannot be
blinded, nor will be hood-winkt, quickly, by
the means of the successful searchers, dis-
covered these villains, whose cruelties are to
be admired, and whose rewards will doubt-
less in little time be awarded for them. After
they had, by the help of some informations,
been traced even to their own lodgings, and
being seized, they were all found to be out-



landish men, and were on Monday morning
following brought before the Council, who
were assembled in great numbers for that very
purpose ; so then the ring-leader, or chief
of them being examined about the premises,
he seemed nothing dismayed, nor endea-
voured by any evasions to acquit himself of
his butchery, but with admired impudence
acknowledged the thing, and confessed the
fact : then being examined what he was, he
answered that he was a German baron, and
that his name was Fratz, or as some say
Vratz ; and added also, that he was a
captain of foot : he also confessed that he
had received many remarkable favours from
the Count Charles John Coningsmark, and
his family, which obliged him not only to
accompany him in his travels, but also to
vindicate him (when affronted) to the utmost
of his power, asserting that the deceased
had bestowed many gross affronts upon the
said Count, which sorely vexed and tor-
mented his engaged soul, and for these
causes resolved to take satisfaction of him
(in this barbarous manner as is supposed),
being informed that the said Mr. Thin was
gone out in his coach, the Devil (who still is
the chief animator of such bloody mis-
chiefs) put him in mind that then might be
an opportune season to effect his dia-
bolical design ; in order thereunto he took
horse, accompanied only with one friend
and a servant which he had, who was
provided with a musquetoon, themselves
being well armed with swords and pistols;
he also allegeth, that at their meeting
of the coach near or at Pall Mall, he rid
up to the coach, bidding the coachman
stand, with an intent to have fought the said
Mr. Thin, but that his servant being a
Polander and a stranger (perhaps as much
to humanity as) to his language, not rightly
understanding what he said, discharging the
musquetoon into the coach, shot him into
the belly (some say with four and some say)
with five bullets, but be it four or five this
worthy gentleman lost his dear life thereby, to
the great lamentation of many, and admira-
tion of the wdiole city and country that have
heard of this mishap.

"This being with great impudence confessed
to the Council, he was ordered to withdraw
out of the Council chamber : which being
done, the servant before-mentioned w T as
called in and examined, who very audaci-
ously denyed all and every particular, but
being confronted with his master, he then
confessed that being newly arrived in Eng-
land, and that as last Friday, being the 19th
instant, he came from Dam-in Pomeren, and
was become servant to Captain Fratz ; ad-
ding, that as he was his servant, he thought
he was therefore obliged to obey his orders,
and perform his command ; and that accord-



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



lf,9



ingly he took horse with him, and so meet-
ing with this gentleman in his coach, lie
saith, his master bid him fire, which in
obedience to his commands he did, by which
means he not only deprived this gentleman
of his life, but also hath brought his own
into such jeopardy, that I hardly think he
will go again into his own country to boast
of this wicked murder.

" A third person being examined, ac-
knowledged himself to be a Sweede by birth,
and that his name was John Stern, having
been formerly a Lieutenant in Flanders,
alledging that his coming into England was
to get employment, and accidentally became
acquainted with the aforesaid Captain Fratz,
not above a week ago, and that at the re-
quest of the said Captain he accompanied
him abroad on Sunday; and that the said
Captain discovered to him that he had a
quarrel against a gentleman, and that he
was resolved to fight him : he also saith that
he was not by when the musquetoon was
discharged, but was about twenty paces
behind the coach, which might be and he
nevertheless accessary to the thing ; so the
Council having deliberated well upon the
matter, they were all three committed to
Newgate, in order to their tryal. Like-



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 37 of 73)