Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 39 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 39 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


committed him to the Tower. From this
place he contrived to escape and join the
king, but he was declared a delinquent, his
estate sequestrated, and his house repeatedly
plundered, so that he died in much distress
and poverty.

In the reign of Queen Anne, Sir Cholmley,
Dering, Bart., considerably improved the
mansion, " making great additions to it, and
enclosing the park with a brick wall round
it." This unfortunate gentleman was killed
in a duel with Richard, son of Major Thorn-
hill ; it was fought with pistols, and, it would
seem, in a very fierce and vindictive spirit,
for the parties stood within a sword's length
of each other.



174



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



Lastly, this mansion has been almost re-
built on its original site by the present
possessor. It is in the Elizabethan style of
architecture, and at one time contained a
magnificent library, chiefly of manuscripts ;
" for which," says Hasted, " he (Sir Edward
Dering) " collected a great number of books,
charters, and curious writings, and caused
others to be transcribed with great labour
and expense." Many of these have been
since dispersed.

The site of the House is extremely beautiful,
upon the brow of a hilly range extending
from here into Surrey, and presents, in the
language of Weever, " a very delicate and
various prospect." In the grounds is some
very fine old timber, and the pasture-lands
are remarkable for richness.



SAXHAM HALL, in the county of Suffolk,
the seat of William Mills, Esq., a magistrate
and deputy-lieutenant for the county.

Great Saxham, or Sexham, belonged, be-
fore the Conquest, to a Saxon thane,
name Britulf, but his lands were bestowed
by the Norman Conqueror upon the monas-
tery of St. Edmund. It was then portioned
out amongst various tenants, who held of the
abbot and monks. In the thirty-third year
of Henry VIII. 's reign, the manor of Great
Saxham, and the advowson of the church,
part of the possessions of the dissolved mo-
nastery of St. Edmund, were granted by
letters patent to Sir Pilchard Long and Mar-
garet his wife, in tail male. The knight, it
seems, was a great favourite with King
Henry, and shared many more Church
spoils, besides being Gentleman of the Privy
Chamber, Master of the Buckhounds and
Hawks, High Steward, and Keeper of several
of the Crown liberties and demesnes, and
Captain of the Islands of Guernsey and
Jersey.

On the death of one of his descendants,
Henry Long, without issue, the manor of
Saxham reverted to the crown, when Thomas
Knyvet, Groom of the Privy Chamber, ob-
tained a lease for twenty-one years of the
mansion house, or site of the manor. After
some other changes and shiftings of the va-
rious portions from hand to hand, we find,
in 1597, the manor and advowson of Great
Saxham sold to John Eldred, citizen of
London, and the same were limited to him
for fife, the remainder to Rivet Eldred, his
elder son and heir apparent, in tail male, re-
mainder to John Eldred, his younger son in
fee. The first of these Eldreds, a member
of the Cloth-Workers' Company, and Alder
man of the City of London, was an enter-
prising Levant merchant, and a great tra-
veller, having in 1583 journeyed to Tripolis,
whence he afterwards passed to Babylon, as



we are informed by the inscription upon his
tomb in Great Saxham Church :

" New Buckingham, in Norfolk, was his first being.
In Babilon hee spent some parte of his time, and
the rest of his earthly pilgrimage hee spent in
London, and was Alderman of that famous cittie.

" The Holy Land, so called, I have seane,
And in the land of Babilon have beane ;
But in yt land where glorious saints doe live
My soul doth crave of Christ a roome to give."

This indefatigable voyager, whose travels
are published in Hakluyt's collection, did,
in fact, much more than is recorded in his
modest epitaph. He thrice visited Babylon,
besides journeying to Jappa, Lycia, Gaza,
Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Aleppo, and that
" valley wherein are many springs throwing
out abundantly at great mouths a kind of
blacke substance like unto tarre, which
serveth all the countrey to make stanch their
barkes and boates ; every one of these
springs maketh a noise like unto a smith's
forge in the blowing and puffing out of this
matter, which never ceaseth night nor day,
and the noise may be heard a mile off con-
tinually. This vale swaloweth up all heavie
things that come upon it. The people of
the country cal it in their language, Babil-
gehennam, that is to say, hell-doore."

On his return home, having purchased the
manor of Great Saxham, he built a large,
though not very handsome mansion. Subse-
quently the estate was sold to Hutchison
Mure, Esq., who, in 1774, set about altering
and enlarging, but without much improving
his new acquisition. In the style of James
I., the mansion had a centre porch, and five
crow-stepped gables, in front ; an outer
court to the north ; a labyrinth on the
south side ; and lines of trees planted in dif-
ferent directions. Fortunately for the in-
terests of good taste, this somewhat ungainly
pile was burnt down in the year 1779, while
still in the possession of Mr. Mure, who com-
menced a new building near the site of the
old hall, and completed the centre as it now
appears. His son afterwards sold the pro-
perty to Thomas Mills, Esq., High Sheriff
for the county of Suffolk, in 1807, and by
him the rest of the present pile was added
in 1798. It has something of the character
of an Italian villa, though not strictly con-
f( >rmable to that style of architecture in all
its details.



ACTON REYNALD HALL, Shropshire, seven
miles N.E. from Shrewsbury, the seat of Sir
Andrew Vincent Corhet, Bart., a descendant
of one of the oldest families in the kingdom,
which has been seated in Shropshire since
the time of the Norman Conquest. When
Moreton Corbet Castle, their ancient resi-
dence, was destroyed by the Parliamentary



~



s§>*






jg&p —,




-

o



b



55?



<y>



jSS)



N



3

1

i
o

§•

1-1



E-l
<



© S



IH



^



l









Hi*.-







c

5







"'_^t'


a






ly


_




Si


H


£


^


i>


£3






-1


I :


uj


- -


O




o


o


^


n


o


■sz


<




fc]


p)


00

■r



fc;



Ml

., 1



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



175



army about 1044, the family removed to
Acton Reynald, which had devolved to Sir
Vincent Corbet, Knt., by the death of his
elder brother.

In Doomsday Book this estate is given
to one Einaldus. The present House was
built in 1601, added to in 1625, again en-
larged in 1800 by Andrew Corbet, Esq.,
afterwards Sir Andrew Corbet, Bart., and
completed by his son, the present Sir Andrew
Vincent Corbet, in 1834. It belongs to the
Elizabethan style of architecture, and stands
upon a gentle eminence, screened by hills
from the north wind. From this height is
an extensive view over Shropshire to the
AVrekin ; the Brown Clee, Lawley, and
Caradoc Hills on the south-east and south ;
upon the south-west the Longmynd Hill,
or Longmont, much higher than the Wrekin,
and the Stiperstones, the summit of which is
covered with huge blocks of loose quartz,
that look, at a distance, like the ruins of
some great fortress ; on the west, the Mont-
gomeryshire Hills ; and on the north-west
the picturesque Grinshils, which appears to
be actually within the grounds of Acton Rey-
nald.

The extensive view from the terrace lead-
ing to the flower-gardens, has also been
much admired by visitors ; and with good
reason, the landscape being remarkable for
boldness and variety.

HEDGERLEY PARK, the seat of Rice R.
Clayton, Esq., is situate in the Hundred of
Stoke, in the county of Buckingham, near
Gerrard's Cross, and about seven miles north
of Windsor.

The present mansion, a modern building,
was erected by Charles Shard, Esq., but has
lately been greatly beautified and enlarged
by its present owner.

The old dwelling House called Hedgerley
Court, now converted into a farm-house
standing in the village, bears evident traces
of having once been the residence of the
Lords of the Manor, and there is no doubt
that the property belonged, as early as the
year 1473, to the ancient family of Bulstrode,
which held the adjoining estate of Bulstrode.

The style of architecture is plain, resem-
bling an Italian villa, containing some hand-
some and well-proportioned rooms ; the stair-
case has been justly admired for its elegance.

The House is placed on an eminence in the
centre of an extensive park of finely undulat-
ing ground, the beauty of which is much
increased by several pieces of water, and
the picturesque woods and groves which
cover the surrounding hills, where a va-
riety of walks have been laid out with much
taste.



Wales, the seat of Colonel Lloyd Vanghan
Watkins, Lord Lieutenant of the county of
Brecknock, and High Sheriff in 1836. He
was also elected, in 1832, Member of Parlia-
ment for the borough of Brecknock.

There was formerly a house standing here,
which had been erected in 1800 by the Rev.
Thomas Watkins, M.A., F.R.S., F.S.A. ; but
this was pulled down and rebuilt in 1848 by
the present owner. This splendid mansion is
in the Italian style of architecture. It com-
mands one of the most picturesque views in
Wales, the scene being charmingly diversified
by mountain, wood, and water, forming a
perfect panorama.

In the neighbourhood, a great battle was
fought between the Britons and Romans.
The Gare, or ancient Gobannium, is still
visible within the domains.

The possessor of Pennoyre, Colonel Lloyd
Vaughan Watkins, represents, through his
mother. Susanna Eleanora, only daughter of
Richard Vaughan, Esq., of Golden Grove, co.
Carmarthen, the great and ancient Welsh
family of the Vaughans, Earls of Carbery.
Ann, Duchess of Bolton, heiress of the last
peer, devised Golden Grove to her kinsman,
John Vaughan, Esq., of Shenfield, whose
great grandson and representative is Colonel
J. L. V . Watkins, of Pennoyre.

BOSBURY HOUSE, near Ledbury, Hereford-
shire, the residence of the Rev. Edward Hig-
gins, M.A., a magistrate and deputy-lieut.
for the county. It came by purchase to the
present owner, who has made several ad-
ditions and improvements. The style of its
architecture may perhaps be called Italian,
without offering anything very particular
for notice. Within is a fine collection of
engravings, and some curious old books
highly interesting on many accounts to the
bibliomaniac.

The grounds are rich and picturesque,
and present some very fine views, though of
a quiet order.

ABBERTON HALL, in the county of Wor-
cester, the seat of William Laslett, Esq., M.P.

The manor of Abberton was held at a re-
mote period by the Abbots of Pershore, and
remained with them until the dissolution of
monasteries by Henry VIII. It then passed
to the family of Sheldon, who continued in
possession of it until they sold it in 1829 to
the present proprietor.

The Hall, or Manor House, was built in
1618 by Ralph Sheldon, Esq. It is a plain
old building, that overlooks a fine park, and
commands extensive views of the Bredon
and Malvern Hills, the Lench woods, and
the Vale of Evesham.



PENNOYRE, Brecknockshire, South CLE0BTJRY HALL, Shropshire, the seat of



176



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



Henry George Mytton, Esq., magistrate for
the counties of Salop and Hereford, and for
the borough of Bridge-worth.

This Hall was first built in 1690 by Thomas
Mytton, Esq., barrister-at-law, with whose
descendants the property has ever since
remained. Many alterations, however,
and improvements have been made in the
building, which stands upon a fine lawn
surrounded by shrubberies. Tt is hi a mixed
style of architecture, and can hardly be said
to belong to any particular order, although
it is convenient within, and presents a hand-
some exterior.

CLEEK HILL, Whalley, co. Lancaster, the
seat of the Rev. John Master Whalley, rec-
tor of Slaidburn, in the West Riding of
Yorkshire, second son of the late Sir James
Whalley Suiythe Gardiner, Bart., by Jane,
his second wife, daughter of the Rev. Robert
Master, D.D., rector of Croston. Mr. Whal-
ley succeeded to the estate at the decease of
his eldest brother, the late Robert Whalley,
Esq.

For a length of time Clerk Hill was the
property of a family named Crumbrocke ;
from it it passed by sale to James Whalley,
Esq., in 1715. The mansion is Grecian,
situated on a considerable eminence, and
commanding a rich and commanding pros-
pect. There are four different dates of the
erection and alterations, 1715, 1719, 1769,
and 1772.

WHITLEIGH, Devonshire, four miles
from Plymouth, the seat of Edmund Bastard
Henn-Gennys, Esq., eldest son of the late
Edmund Henn, Esq., who married Mary,
only child of John Gennys, Esq., and took
the name of Gennys in addition to his own.
This property has been successively in the
families of Fownes, Doetons, and Gennys.

This House is supposed to have been built
by Mr. Fownes, but at what time is uncertain,
though the general belief places its date at
about one hundred and fifty or two hundred
years ago. No indication of this fact can be
drawn from the style of architecture, which
belongs to no particular period. It stands
upon a park-like lawn of some extent, with
ornamental pleasure-grounds, the effect of
which is greatly heightened by artificial
water. The mildness of the climate in this
part of the country has done much to aid the
skill and labour of the gardener ; for so soft
is the air that myrtles and geraniums will
thrive out of doors hi the winter. A beautiful
valley runs down to an arm of the River
Tamar, called Tamerten Lake, while the hilly
country around is covered with flourishing
woods, that from the humid nature of the
atmosphere, put on their liveliest green
through a greater part of the year. Devon-



shire, indeed, is very much to the rest of
England what Provence is to the rest of
France.

The present Mr. Henn-Gennys, since his
accession to the property in 1846, has done
much for it : the entrance hall has been re-
stored to its original use, and a handsome
carriage portico added. The grounds, too,
have been greatly improved by the forma-
tion of two sheets of ornamental water, be-
tween which a new road has been brought
to the eastern front of the House, passing
over a bridge through the pleasure gardens.
Mr. Henn-Gennys has also constructed on
the west side a handsome terrace Avalk, leading
to a conservatory, and commanding magnifi-
cent views.

BUCKLATTD, Berkshire, about four miles
from Farringdon, and fourteen from Oxford,
the seat of Sir Robert George Throckmorton,
Bart.

In the year 1227, the manor of Buckland
was possessed by Hugh de Bockland, whose
daughter, Matilda, conveyed it by marriage
to William D'Averenches, a Norman baron.
About 1376, we find it held by Sir Thomas
Besils, who descended from a daughter of
John DAverenches, son of William and
Matilda. In 1436, it was possessed by
Thomas Chaucer, son of the poet, and his
daughter Alice brought it in marriage to
William de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk. Upon
the attainder of Edmund de la Pole, Earl of
Suffolk, it was given by Henry the Eighth to
Sir Charles Brandon, but returned to the
king in exchange for other lands under the
sanction of an Act of Parliament. In 1545,
it was purchased by the family of Yate, with
whom it continued till 1690, when it devolved
to Sir Robert Throckmorton, of Coughton, in
Warwickshire, by his marriage with Mary,
sister and heiress of Sir John Yate.

The old house of the Yate family is now
converted into stables. The present mansion
was built in 1757, by Sir Robert Throckmor-
ton, Bart., from the plans of John Wood,
architect, of Bath It is of the Grecian style
of architecture, and very much decorated both
inside and without. The library is painted
by Cipriani.

The grounds are laid out with much taste,
and redeem in a great, measure the natural
defects of the adjacent country.

SHAPWICK HOUSE, in the county of
Somerset, about seven miles from Glaston-
bury, and eight from Bridgewater, the seat of
George Warry, Esq. This mansion was built
on the site of a residence belonging to the
Abbots of Glastonbury, by John Rolle, Esq.,
afterwards Lord Chief Justice Rolle. In
1788, it was sold by the Rolle family to
George Templar, Esq., who sold it in 1804,



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



177



to Edmund Hill, Esq. At the death of the
last-named owner, in 1809, it came to his
relation, the Rev. Elias Taylor, and he de-
vised it in 1827 to his nephew George Warry,
• Esq.

A curious legend of the time of Monmouth's
rebellion is connected with this place. John
Swain, a native of the parish of Shapwick,
was taken in his bed a few nights after the
battle of Sedgmore by two of Kirk's dragoons,
who proceeded the nextmorningto march him
off to Bridgewater. He was followed by his
young wife and two children, as well as by
several of his fellow- villagers, all more or less
interested in his fate, some by curiosity, and
others no doubt by a better feeling. Upon
arriving at that part of the parish called
Loxley Wood, he fell on his knees to his
captors, and begged that the prayer of father,
doomed to death, might be heard,—" Allow
me," said he, "before I die to show my
children how far I can leap, that when grown
up they may keep their poor father in re-
membrance. Three jumps only, and no
more." This singular prayer, after some
hesitation, was granted; and he was freed
from his bonds for the moment, that he might
be the better able to exert his agility. The
first spring was taken, and it was really
wonderful. A second — it was well nigh
beyond belief. A third —the acclamation was
universal ; but before the troopers could re-
cover from the surprise of this exploit, the
crafty leaper had taken a fourth jump, and
vanished in the near wood, where from the
thickness of the trees and the numerous
swamps, it was utterly impossible for any one
to follow him on horseback. Here he could
safely cry, with Dickie Sludge in the tale,
" You shall hear the bittern bump, and the
wild drake quack ere you get hold of me."
And so it proved ; the troopers could make
nothing of it themselves, and the unwilling
villagers lent them no real assistance. Safe
therefore did the fugitive remain in his woods
and swamps till the thirst for blood began to
cool, and then he returned uninjured to his
rejoicing family. The three stones which
were placed in memorial of his three suc-
cessive jumps were some time ago removed,
but they have been recently brought back to
their proper places by the owner of the
estate. They stand to the right of the road
from Bridgewater to Glastonbury.

Whether the tale be true or not, it
is rendered exceedingly probable by the
many stories of the same kind that have been
told, and never disputed, of the triumphant
party at Sedgmore, when cruelty could not
be sufficient of itself without putting on the
idle grin of mockery.

CHESTEES, in the parish of Ancrum, Rox-
burghshire, the seat of William Ogilvie, Esq.

VOL. II.



The place takes its name from the Latin castra
- — a term we so often find in combination with
other words, to denote towns and cities,
throughout England. The estate was for-
merly possessed by the family of the Bennets.
This mansion was built in 1786, by Thomas
Elliot Ogilvie, Esq., of the East India Com-
pany's civil service. It is a handsome,
spacious edifice, in the modern style of
architecture, beautifully situated on the
banks of the River Teviot. Behind the; House
a deep glen opens, both sides of which are
thickly wooded with trees of various kinds.
In the neighbourhood are many vestiges of
old Roman encampments, whence it seems
pre-eminently to have deserved the name of
Castra, or Chester.

SP0TTISW00DE, in the parish of West-
ruther, county of Berwick, the seat of John
Spottiswoode, Esq., a magistrate and deputy •
lieutenant for the county.

This estate has been possessed, thne out
of mind, by the Spottiswoodes, a family,
which in its various branches has been highly
distinguished both in church and state. The
name of Archbishop Spottiswoode stands
forward prominently in Scottish and English
history ; he held the sees of Glasgow and
St. Andrews, had the honour of crowning
King Charles the First at Holyrood House,
and was subsequently made Lord High
Chancellor of Scotland. He was an active
agent in the endeavours of Charles the
First to bring back the Scottish Church to
episcopacy, and upon the final defeat of these
attempts and the consequent confusion, he
retired to England. There he died, broken
as much by grief, it is said, as by age and
sickness, and was honourably buried amongst
the illustrious in Westminster Abbey. His
son, Sir Robert, who was President of the
Court of Session, and a Secretary of State, Avas
no less zealous in the cause of royalty, and
was taken prisoner at Philiphaugh, where-
upon the parliament condemned him to lose
his head at the market cross of St. Andrews,
the archiepiscopal residence of his father.
Another of this name stands equally eminent
for his legal knowledge, and in the reign of
George the Second, a General Spottiswoode
died Governor of Virginia.

The modern House of Spottiswoode was
built in 1832, by the present owner of the
property. It stands upon the site of the
ancient border-tower, which was taken down
somewhat more than a century ago, on ac-
count of its ruined and dangerous condition..
The other part of the old mansion — arched
below, as is usual in border-houses — still
remains. It adjoins the new building, with
which it is connected by a corridor of two
storeys, and now contains all the servants 1
apartments and kitchen offices. A well-pro-

A A



178



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



portioned tower rises in the centre, and over-
tops the highest of the surrounding trees, and
when first seen from a distance produces a very-
picturesque effect. Along the front runs
a noble terrace, full three hundred feet long,
adorned by pedestals, vases, and balustrades.
The style of architecture is Elizabethan.

The House is built of fine grained free-
stone from two different quarries in the
county; the one of a clear cream colour,
of which the lintels, mullions, cornices, and
ornaments are formed ; the other of a
delicate light pink colour, of which the
main part of the body of the walls con-
sists, the mouldings being of polished ash-
lar, and the walls small-chisel picked. The
two colours of stone harmonise, and toge-
ther give the building at all times a warm,
bright, sunny appearance.

From the terrace is a fine prospect over
a broad, woody, and cultivated valley to
the south, the view being bounded by the
Cheviots, the Eildon Hills, and the Hills of
Liddesdale. On the north, the House is
backed by woods, extending to the top of
the southern range of the Lammermoor
Hills, which divide the cultivated parts of
Berwickshire from the Lothians.



PENDREA, Gulval, in the county of Corn-
wall, the seat of John Sargent Bedford, Esq.
That portion of the parish of Gulval nearest
the town of Penzance, is frequently called
the Garden of Cornwall, and is equal in
fertility and beauty to any part of England ;
it also contains several delightful residences,
and amongst them Pendrea.

The House, which derives its name from
the estate on which it is built, is compara-
tively small, and in the cottage style ; it was
erected not many years since by the present
proprietor, at some little distance from the
old hlouse of Pendrea. The situation is most
happily chosen, and although the grounds
are not of great extent, the combination of
ornamental gardens, green sward, wood and
water, presents a picture which once seen is
not soon forgotten, and the whole is further
enhanced by a view, from the terrace in front
of the house, of the Mount's Bay and the
fir-famed Cornish Mount. The rising ground
behind shelters it from the north wind, be-
sides which, it is altogether so surrounded by
trees, that unless the wind blows directly
into the bay, no storm is ever felt here. This
and the extreme mildness of the climate have
such an effect on vegetation, that many plants
requiring the greatest care in other parts of
the kingdom flourish here out of doors in
the winter ; and in the very earliest part of
spring, when scarcely a leaf or flower is
looked for, in the gardens of Pendrea the
camella and rhododenron may be found in



full bloom. But however much nature may
have done, Pendrea owes most of its beauty
to the taste of Mrs. Bedford ; it was under



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 39 of 73)