Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 45 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 45 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Duke of Cleveland, and Sir Richard Sutton,
Bart. Commodore George Johnstone was
father of the sixth baronet. John Johnstone
made a very large fortune in India, and
purchased the beautiful estates of Alva
and Hangingshaw. His only son married
Mary, sister of Sir Montague Cholmeley,
Bart., by whom he had a numerous family.
His eldest son, James Johnstone, now of
Alva and Hangingshaw, is M.P. for the
counties of Kinross and Clackmanan. Of his
daughters, Caroline married the Rev. John
Hamilton Gray, of Carntyne ; Sophia mar-
ried Sir John Muir Mackenzie, Bart., of
Delvine ; Mary married the Hon. Laurence
King Harman, son of Viscount Lorton ;
Jemima married Lord Frederick Beauclerck,
son of the Duke of St. xVlban's ; and Octavia
married James, son of Sir Montague Chol-
meley, Bart.

Of the daughters of Sir James Johnstone
and Dame Barbara Murray, one married
Lord Kinnaird, and was ancestress to
the present peer ; another married Lord
Ogilvie, son of the Earl of Airlie, and was,
the heroine of the rebellion in 1745. Her
grandson is Sir David Wedderburn, Bart.
Another married Mr. Balmain, and her only
child married the Hon. Baron Norton, and
was mother of the present Lord Grantley,
Lady Menzies, Mrs. Johnstone of Alva, and
other sons and daughters.

Sir William Pulteney neglected to prose-
cute his claim to the marquessate, in which,
from his great wealth and political influ-
ence, he probably would have been suc-
cessful. But his only child had been created
a Countess, and he had little personal interest
in the matter. He was succeeded by his

D D



202



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



nephew, Sir John, the sixth baronet, who was
many years a minor ; and he was succeeded
by his son, Sir Frederick, seventh baronet,
in his infancy. And he in like manner
dying prematurely, had two posthumous
sons by his widow, Lady Louisa Craven.
Thus, in the Johnstone family, there have
been three generations of minors, with very
brief intervals of majority, as the successive
baronets were short lived.

The claim for the marquessate has been
long before the House of Lords, but it has
never been pushed forward with much vigor.
Sir Frederick's claim, however, is considered
as undoubted, and when he comes of
age he will probably prosecute it with
energy.

The Westerhall estates are extensive, but
the House is very old, and possesses little
or no interest. It is situated in the midst
of a lawn on the banks of the River Esk.

The Johnstone family have considerable
property in Weymouth, and an immense
territory in North America, which was ac-
quired by Sir William Johnstone Pulteney.
This magnificent estate realises great profits
by occasional sales, the proceeds of which
are destined to be laid out in the purchase
of lands in Scotland.

WITNESHAM HALL, four miles from Ips-
wich, Suffolk, the ancient seat of the family
of Meadows (descended from Peter de
Medewe, son of Edmund de Wytnesham,
living at Wytnesham, temp. William the
Conqueror) is the property of Daniel Charles
Meadows, Esq., the present representative,
who in 1837, succeeded as eldest surviving
son and heir of the Rev. Philip Meadows,*
Rector of Great Bealings. The mansion, of
very early date, is supposed to have been
originally built in the 12th century, the date
1110 appearing on the oldest part of it. It
was of much greater extent prior to the year
1710, when part was taken down, but it is
still a good substantial residence, exhibiting
various evidences of great antiquity, and
containing some fine specimens of wood
carving of the 16th century, embracing with
various devices the family arms, "gu. a chev.
erm. between three pelicans, vulned, ppr."
The situation is low, like many of our old

* The Rev. Philip Meadows married Elizabeth,
daughter of the Rev. Morgan Graves, Rector of Red-
grave-cum-Botesdale and Ilinderelay, Suffolk, descended
niaternallv (through the Morgans, of Golden Grove,
Flint), with the Royal House of Tudor, the Lloyds of
Plymog, the Williams Bulkeley, Barts., Williams of
Vaenol, Barts., the Griffiths of Burton Agnes, Barts.,
Lord Mostyn, and other distinguished families, from
Marchudd ap Cynan, Lord of Brynffenigl. founder of
the eighth NobleTribe of Vo r th Wales and Powys, who
flourished in the middle of the ninth century . anV. whose
descendant, Sir Tudor ap Ednyfed Vychan, Kt., married
Adlais, daughter of Richard, son of Cadwallader, second
son or Griffith ap Cynan, King of North Wales. Her
Majesty Queen Victoria is consequently a descendant
from the same ancestor, through King Henry the
Seventh.



ancestral Halls, but possessing nevertheless
a pleasing prospect of the adjacent country,
through which the rivulet Fynn flows past
the eastern front of the House. The southern
porch and chambers over were added to the
original building, by Daniel Meadowe, in
1630, as appears by his initials on the vane
which surmounts them, whilst the eastern
porch was erected only a few years since by
the present proprietor, who also new fronted
the greater portion of the House in the most
substantial manner. The architecture ex-
hibits the Tudor style, corresponding with
the principal entrance, which has been
left untouched. The manor of Witnes-
ham Hall is now a reputed manor only, the
courts having long since ceased to be kept,
though the other rights mcidental to the
manor remain. The ancient rolls show that
the lands of the manor itself were but of
limited extent ; they are now merged in the
original property. Some of the lands forming
part of this estate have been enjoyed by the
Meadows family from a very remote period,
and their possession, by an unbroken chain
of succession and inheritance, may be traced
upwards to the year 1188, a fact (authenti-
cated by original documents still in exist-
ence) remarkable, if not unique, in the
families of the kingdom ; and one justly
entitling this family to rank, as it does,
amongst the most ancient in the county.
Witnesham Hall is interesting as having been
the birth-place of that venerable and able
entomologist, the Rev. William Kirby, M.A.,
F.R.S., F.L.S., &c, Rector of Barham, and
author of one of the Bridgewater Treatises,
who was born there in 1759 (his mother
being a daughter of Daniel Meadowe, Esq.,
the then owner.) He died at Barham Rectory
in 1850, at the advanced age of ninety.
There is a tradition to which general credit
has been given in the neighbourhood, that a
subterraneous passage exists connecting the
Hall with another ancient house in the same
parish, distant about a quarter of a mile,
also belonging to the Meadows family for
several centuries ; and likewise that a large
number of gold coins are secreted under the
old garden wall adjoining the mansion, but
no discovery has yet been made to confirm
these notions.

Charles Meadows, Esq., M P. for Notting-
hamshire, grandson of Sir Philip Meadows,
Kt., Marshall of the King's Palace, was a
descendant of the Witnesham family; Sir Phi-
lip's father, the first Sir Philip (also Knight
Marshall) being son of Daniel Meadows,
lord of the manor of Witnesham, with Cock-
field, who was younger brother of William
Meadows, lord of Witnesham Hall. He took
the name of Pierrepont by Royal sign manual,
in 1788, on succeeding to the large estates of
his uncle, the second Duke of Kingston, and







5^21 en

O

© o a



e=3



c^



5^2>



to
H

<!

u

w

p
o

H
H










o>



p -



g s

w






ea



y



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



203



in 1796 he was elevated to the peerage by
the titles of Baron Pierrepont and Viscount
Newark, and in 1806 advanced to the dignity
of Earl Manvers ; his son Charles Herbert
Pierrepont (late Meadows), the present earl,
represents the younger branch of the Meadows
family.

The ruins of an ancient chapel dedicated
to St. Thomas, are still to be found in a
meadow upon the Hall estate.

Numerous monumental inscriptions ex-
tending nearly three centuries back, with
the family arms, appear in the parish church,
the east window of which having been also
erected by some of the family to the memory
of Daniel R. Meadows, Esq., and his son.
This window is a very handsome painted one,
embellished with Scripture subjects, and the
crest of the family is many times repeated.
One of the church bells was given by Anne
Meadowe about 120 years since. All the
pews have recently been removed, and open
carved oak benches substituted for them,
which gives the church a very neat and uni-
form appearance.

About 700 years ago (as is supposed) a
battle was fought here, and in confirmation
of this fact several human skeletons were
found about thirty-five years since, and
various pieces of armour frequently thrown
up within a short distance of the Hall ; in
1820, the skeleton of a man in armour and
his horse, with a lance by his side, were dis-
covered near the same spot, carefully buried,
about six feet deep, with the heads toward
the east. The bit and buckles of the bridle,
also the stirrups, tree and studs belonging to
the saddle remained tolerably perfect ; the
studs were of silver. The helmet also was
perfect, but after a time, on being handled,
it crumbled to pieces, as did also the saddle-
tree and the bones, but not the teeth. Mr.
Poppy, who then occupied the land where
these skeletons were found, communicated the
discovery, and a letter was written by the late
Rev. Philip Meadows, to the Gentlemans' 1
Magazine about that period in reference to
the supposed battle, and the finding of the
skeletons of the man and horse ; a short
sword of the time of Edward III., has like-
wise been recently discovered.

The manor of Witnesham-cum-Cockfield,
with the manor house and farm in Witnes-
ham, were the property of Daniel Meadowe,
in 1630, who was also patron of the living of
Witnesham. This manor and estate are still
enjoyed by one of his descendants, but the
advowson after remaining in the family for
several generations was alienated, and is now
in the gift of St. Peter's College, Cambridge.

TREVAYLEK, Gulval, Cornwall. This has
been the residence of the Veale family for a
long period. One of its members was the



first Protestant vicar of Gulval, and they
have ever since been connected with that
parish. Their present representative is the
Rev. William Veale ; he, has, however, long
ceased to take an active part in the ministry.
The house is merely a respectable country
mansion, surrounded by trees ; but the views
from the terrace walk which bounds the
garden are most magnificent ; they embrace
the whole scope of the Mount's Bay, with
the lands on its eastern and western sides.
North of Trevayler the country is rugged
and barren, but not without those peculiar
beauties for which Cornwall is celebrated.

CHIFSTEAD PLACE, Seven Oaks, Kent,
the seat of Frederick Perkins, Esq. This
place was held, temp. King John, by one of
the great and eminent family of Crevequer.

In the reign of Elizabeth, it belonged to the
Cranmers, the then possessor being Robert
Cranmer, Esq.. of Aslacton, Notts ; his only
daughter and heiress Anne, conveyed it in
marriage to Sir Arthur Herrys, who died
seised of the property in 1632, when it devolved
in his second son John Herrys, Esq., who
married Frances daughter of Sir Thomas
Dacre of Cheshunt. That lady held it in
her widowhood, and eventually gave it to her
second husband William Priestley, Esq.,
of Essingden, Herts, by whom Chipstead
was alienated to Jeffery Thomas, Esq. It
was subsequently purchased by David Pol
hill, Esq., of Otford, in 1662, and he
bequeathed it to his only surviving
brother Thomas. The latter was nearly
connected with Oliver Cromwell, having
married his grand-daughter, Elizabeth Ireton.
He sold Chipstead to Sir Nicholas Strode
of Westerham, whose daughters and co-
heiresses conveyed it in 1693, to William
Emerton, Esq., of the Temple, London.
After his death it was vested in trustees
under an act of parliament passed in the
eighth year of Queen Anne, and subse-
quently was reconveyed to the family of Pol-
hill, from whom it passed, by sale, in 1828,
to the present owner Frederick Perkins, Esq.

The date of the old House is uncertain,
but it was rebuilt about the year 1693,
by William Emerton, Esq., of the Temple,
London : since that time it has received con-
siderable alterations and improvements, es-
pecially by the present possessor, and is now
of the Italian style of architecture.

The situation and surrounding scenery are
very beautiful ; closely adjoining is Cheven-
ing, the admired seat of Earl Stanhope, and
at a very short distance stands Knole Park,
the magnificent dwelling and demesne of the
Sackvilles, Dukes of Dorset.

The grounds of Chipstead are pleasant
and laid out with much taste. On the north
they are bounded by the River Darent, and



204



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



on the south runs the high road from Wes-
terham to Maidstone.

Chipstead Place contains, besides many
specimens of the tine arts, a valuable collec-
tion of pictures of the ancient and modern
schools. The principal are by Carlo Dolci,
Claude Lorraine, Cuyp, Sasso Ferato, G.
Pousin, Isaac Ostade, Sebastian del Piombo,
Meiris, A. Vanderveldt, Bergham, Wouver-
mans, Domenichino, Both, Jan Stein, D.
Teniers, Hobbima, Prococini, Wilson,
Wilkie and Sir Joshua Reynolds.

LARGO HOUSE, in the county of Fife, the
seat of Mrs. Dundas Calderwood Durham of
Arniston, Polton, and Largo.

Largo House is finely situated on Largo
Bay, close to the sea, and commanding the
most beautiful views of the Frith of Forth.
It is a spacious house with no pretensions to
architectural beauty, surrounded with hand-
some shrubberies and thriving woods. The
orchard is ancient and singular; and at one
end of it stands the old tower of the castel-
lated mansion of Largo, which belonged to
the celebrated Scottish Admiral Sir Andrew
Wood, the worthy favourite of two successive
kings, James the Third and James the
Fourth. Largo was a royal grant to the
hero by the latter monarch. The munificence
of this distinguished original proprietor is
manifested by a hospital in the town of Largo
endowed by him. There is at Largo a
beautiful shrubbery walk leading to a deep
and romantic glen, the sides of which are
clothed with fine trees. On the estate of
Largo many very curious silver ornaments
of a very early date were found some years
ago, which are carefully preserved, and are
mentioned in Wilson's Pre-historic Annals of
Scotland. A singular ancient stone cross
was also found here, which is set up in the
pleasure grounds. The family of Durham,
who in the female line represent the Lords
Rutherford, became possessed of the estate
of Largo by purchase about two centuries
ago. The last proprietor in the direct male



line



distinguished Admiral



was tne very ,*,o..i.. &l
Sir Philip Henderson Calderwood Durham,
G.C.B., on whose death, without issue, the
estates of Largo and Polton descended to
his niece, who married the late Robert Dun-
das of Arniston, and is the present Mis.
Dundas Calderwood Durham. The family
of Dundas of Arniston is one of the most
distinguished branches of the ancient house
of Dundas of Dundas. No family in Scot-
land has in its successive generations pro-
duced so many distinguished ornaments of
the bar. In more recent times, towards the
close of the eighteenth century, two of its
sons rose to the highest eminence, viz., the
Lord President Dundas and the first Viscount
Melville, The son of the Lord President
was Lord Chief Baron, and was father of the



husband of Mrs. Dundas Durham, and grand-
father of the present Laird of Arniston in
Mid-Lothian.

ELIE HOUSE, in the county of Fife, the seat
of Sir Wyndham Carmichal Anstruther, Bart.
of Anstruther and Carmichal. Close to the
small town of Elie on the coast of Fife, and in
a wood between Kilconquhar Lake and the
Frith of Forth, hard by the seashore, stands
Elie House. It is a large mansion with no
pretensions to beauty, but containing many
excellent apartments. It is situated in a
very flat park with much wood, and though
it possesses little to interest or please, it has
all the appearance of being what it is, the
mansion of a large estate, and of a distin-
guished family. The Anstruthers have been
a noble knightly house for twenty genera-
tions, and can be traced before the
days of King David the First. At thai
time William de Candela, Lord of Anstru-
ther, was one of the chief persons in this
part of Scotland. The three most con-
siderable immediate branches of this fa-
mily, Anstruther, Bart, of Anstruther, An-
struther, Bart, of Balcaskie, and Anstruther
Thomson of Charleton, are still among the
principal landowners in Fifeshire. The An-
struthers did all that Scottish knights and
gentlemen of high degree and proper spirit
could do. In the successive generations of
the family, one noble knight accompanied St.
Louis on his crusade, and won the family
aims, the three nails of the cross. Another
sent two younger sons to join King Louis
the Eleventh's Scottish archers of the guard.
Another was slain with King James the
Fourth at Flodden. Another was slain at
Pinkie, repelling the English invaders. An-
other was Master of the Household to King
James the Sixth, and was appointed his
Hereditary Grand Carver, an office now held
by Sir Wyndham. Another was made a
Knight of the Bath by that monarch at his
coronation in London. Another was the
most distinguished diplomatist of his day,
and was sent by King Charles the First on
various important missions to different Euro-
pean courts. Another suffered the loss of
his possessions under the republican usurper,
and had them restored by King Charles the
Second. In one generation there were five
brothers all baronets and knights. From the
elder of these brothers is Sir Wyndham
Anstruther descended. From the second
are descended Sir Ralph Anstruther of Bal-
caskie, and Mr. Anstruther Thomson of
Charleton. Sir Wyndham possesses a baro-
netcy both of Nova Scotia and of Great Bri-
tain. The former being the ancient heredi-
tary title of the family, and the latter having
been conferred on his father, then a younger
son, avIio had served as a distinguished judge
in India. Besides the Anstruther estate of



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



205



Elie, Sir Wyndham possesses large estates
in Lanarkshire as heir of line to the Carmi-
chals, Earls of Hyndford.

GROVE HALL, near East Retford, Notts,
the seat of Granville Venahles Harcourt
Vernon, Esq.

The estate of Grove (anciently Grave) de-
scended to the Nevills by marriage with a
coheiress of the Hercys, and was bought of
them by Sir Creswell Leving, whose de-
scendant sold it to Anthony Eyre, Esq., of
Adwich, in Yorkshire, and Rampton hi Notts.
His son Anthony marrying the great niece
and heiress of Sir Hardolph Wasteneys,
Bart., succeeded to the adjoining estate, park
and manor house of Headon. The latter was
pulled down by his son, the late Anthony
Hardolph Eyre, who was for a long time
M.F. for the county of Notts, and Colonel of
the Notts Yeomanry Cavalry. By his
marriage with Frances Alicia Wilbraham
Bootle (sister of Lord Skelmersdale), he had
one son, Gervase Anthony, who was killed in
1811, at the battle of Barossa, and three
daughters, of whom Mary Letitia, the eldest,
married Earl Manvers ; Frances Julia, the
second, Granville Venables Harcourt Ver-
non, Esq. ; Harriet the third, married first
Rev. J. H. Eyre, and secondly H. Gaily
Knight, Esq., formerly M.P. for North Notts.

Granville Venables Harcourt Vernon, Esq.,
the present possessor of the estates of Grove
and Headon (in right of his wife, Frances
Julia, deceased) is sixth son of the late Arch-
bishop of York (the Honourable Edward
Venables Vernon, who took the name of
Harcourt, by sign manual, on succeeding to
the Harcourt estates) by the Lady Anne
Leveson Gower, his wife.

He is Chancellor of the Diocese of York,
was formerly M.P. for the borough of Aid-
borough, and for fifteen years, from 1832 to
1847, represented the borough of East Ret-
ford, and Hundred of Bassetlaw. He is also
Chairman of the Retford Quarter Sessions.
His eldest son, Granville Edward, sits in Par-
liament for the borough of Newark.

The original House at Grove, erected
probably in the reign of Henry VII., by
one of the De Hercys, was in the old
English style, with gable ends and mullioned
windows. It is large, built of brick, with
stone copings and ornaments, and coated with
stucco in imitation of stone. It is situated
high on the slope of a hill, in a well- wooded
park, containing many picturesque old oaks.
To the S.W. front is a terraced garden;
there are also extensive pleasure grounds,
and shrubbery walks. The views are
extensive and beautiful, ranging over the
Sherwood Forest into Derbyshire to the W.
and S.W., into Yorkshire to the N., into
Rutlandshire to the S., and Lincolnshire to



the E. Adjoining the grounds in Castle Hill
Wood is a mound surrounded by a moat,
whether the site of a British or Roman
fortification is not known. The church, a
small Gothic edifice, dedicated to St. Helen,
and the Rectory, are within 200 yards of the
House.

Mr. Eyre, grandfather of the late possessor,
having purchased the estate, entirely altered
the character of the House, removing the
whole roof, and pulling down the south-west
front, in the place of which, under the direc-
tion of Mr. Carr, the architect of York,
he built a suite of handsome rooms, but
with an exterior elevation of little archi-
tectural pretension. The present possessor,
G. Harcourt Vernon, Esq., has added another
suite of rooms on the ground floor.

MOUNT HOUSE, Shropshire, near Shrews-
bury, the seat of John Whitehurst, Esq.,
one of her Majesty's Justices of Peace for
the borough of Shrewsbury. Upon a part of
these grounds formerly stood Cadogan Fort,
the foundations of which are still traceable
about a foot below the surface of the earth.

Mount House was built in 1821, by John
Whitehurst, Esq., the present owner, upon
land which had been the property of his
father, the late John "Whitehurst, Esq. It is
a plain brick edifice, with a centre and corre -
sponding wings, and occupies a delightful
eminence by the banks of the Severn. The
view from it is beautiful and extensive, em-
bracing a landscape of full thirteen miles.
The gardens, plantations, lawns, and mea-
dows, cover about fifteen acres, the former
having been laid out by Mr. Whitehurst, at
the time he built the mansion.

TODDINGTON, Gloucestershire, the seat of
Lord Sudeley, Lord-Lieutenant of Montgo-
meryshire. This property is a rare instance
of an estate descending for upwards of seven
hundred years in the male line of the same
family, in uninterrupted succession, till
Henrietta Susannah, the only child and heir
of Henry Viscount Tracy, brought it in
marriage to Lord Sudeley, who thereupon
assumed the arms and surname of Tracy.
This is the more singular as the Tracys
were not only of Saxon origin, but sprung
from the blood -royal of the Saxon Kings of
England, and it is not easy to understand
how William the Conqueror, so little used
in general to such forbearance, could be in-
duced to allow of their retaining unmolested
possession of their estate.

The structure which preceded the existing
one at Toddington was situated in the lowest
part of the grounds, not far from a small
stream, a tributary of the Avon, which rises
in the Cotswold Hills, west and south of the
town of Winchcomb. It stood close to



20G



SCATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



the parish church, according to a very ge-
neral but not very intelligible custom of the
early ages. In part it was bounded by
walls of different heights, three sides of it
enclosing a quadrangular court, and having
the fourth flanked by an embattled wall
and a porter's lodge. It was surrounded
by gardens laid out after the most formal
manner, but having a soil of unusual rich-
ness. Nothing indeed could well exceed the
primness and preciseness of these grounds,
in which the great object would seem to have
been the forcing nature into any shapes ex-
cept her own. Clipped trees, clipped hedges,
leaden figures, fish-ponds, straight, broad
gravel walks, and a hundred such abomina-
tions, disfigured the natural beauty of the
landscape, a style of gardening which we
happily know no longer but from description
and the works of certain painters. The
house itself, however, as it figures in an old
painting, had something about it not a little
picturesque. It was large, and closed in
three sides of a quadrangular court, the
fourth side of which was bounded by an em-



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 45 of 73)