Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 47 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 47 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Esq.

In the time of William, the Norman Con-
queror, Hanbury belonged to the church of
Worcester, and comprised twenty acres of
meadow, and a wood one mile hi length and
half-a-mile hi breadth, in the king's forest of
Teckenham. About the reign of Henry IV.
the Nashes lived in Hanbury at a place still
called Nash's Meadow.

In the reign of Elizabeth an act was passed
giving authority to the Queen, upontheavoid-
ance of any archbishop or bishopric, to take
into her hands temporal possession, making
certain compensations. When therefore
Sandys was created Bishop of Worcester,
the Queen became possessed of Hanbury,
which she granted to Thomas Leighton ; and
from one of his descendants it was pur-
chased by Edward Vernon, Esq., eldest son
of Richard, Rector of Hanbury. This last-
named family came originally from Normandy
where a certain William de Vernon founded
the collegiate church of Notre Dame, but it
has long been settled in the parish of Han-
bury, and has produced several distinguished
characters. Amongst these the name of
Thomas Vernon, if not the most eminent, will
be the most familiar to the ear of the present



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



211



day — at least with law-students, for he was
an eminent chancery-barrister, and much
celebrated for his Reports. He greatly in-
creased his possessions in this and the neigh-
bouring counties, and dying without issue,
left bis estates to his first cousin once re-
moved, Bowater Vernon, Esq. ; whose son,
Thomas, enjo) 7 ed them, and left them to his
only daughter, Emma, who married Henry
Cecil, Esq.

Hanbury Hall was erected in the year 1700
by the Counsellor Vernon above mentioned. It
is large, and by no means inconconvenient, but
presents many features of the architecture of
the day when it was built. The mate-
rial of it is a red brick. The entrance-
hall is large and well proportioned, its
ceiling and stair-case elaborately painted
by Sir James Thornhill, who to mark the
folly of the age, has drawn a picture of
Dr. Sacheverell carried away by the Furies.
He also painted the ceilings of several other
rooms. But the most curious work of art
here is an original portrait of Charles XII.
of Sweden, painted in that country for
Bishop Robinson.

The grounds and gardens are extensive and
pleasingly laid out. In the deer-park and
adjoining grounds are some remarkably fine
trees, both oak and elm, many of which
show a green old age, and are ancient without
decay.

Thomas Bowater Vernon, Esq., is the eldest
son of the late possessor of this estate, Thomas
Tayler Vernon, Esq., who married Jessie
Anne Lsetitia, youngest daughter of John
Herbert Foley, Esq., of Kidgeway, Pem-
brokeshire.

HUNTSHAM COURT, near Tiverton, Devon,
the seat of Arthur Henry Dyke Troyte, Esq.,
second son of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland,
Bart. This mansion was, according to a
painting still panelled in the walls, an ancient
well-gabledmanorial house, of which sufficient
details have survived extensive modern alter-
ations to fix its date as Elizabethan. Part of
the hall remains, but its woodwork is as late as
James II, The church, chiefly of the 15th cen-
tury, is immediately contiguous to the House,
and, at one period, the whole of the build-
ings were in all likelihood combined. Many
valuable theological works enrich the library,
collected probably by a learned ancestor of
the Troyte family, the Rev. Richard Troyte,
Rector of Silverton. Huntsham Court stands
at the head of the richly-wooded valley of
the River Loman, which flows a course of
about eight or nine miles, S. or S.W., till it
joins the Exe at Tiverton, and from the ad-
joining ground, Dunkery Beacon, Sidmouth
Gap, the Quantock Hills, and the neighbour-
hood of Glastonbury, are seen at one time ;
and within a short distance, the heights of



Haldon and Dartmoor. The subsoil is in
part clay, in part Shillote rock. The heights
above the sea vary from 600 to 800 ft.

Huntsham Court was formerly the pro-
perty of the old Devonshire family of Bere :
from them, it was purchased by William
Troyte, Esq., son of the Rev. Thomas Troyte
by Cicely, his wife, daughter and heir of
Sir Thomas Wrothe, and widow of Sir
Hugh Acland. Bart. The purchaser's last
surviving son, the Rev. Edward Berkeley
Troyte, LL.D. succeeded his elder brother
Thomas at Huntsham in 1812, and died the
last of his name 9th May, 1852, in his 89th
year, having bequeathed his estates, in strict
entail, to his kinsman, Arthur Henry Dyke
(second son of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland,
Bart.), who has assumed, by Royal Licence,
the surname of the testator, and is the pre-
sent possessor of the seat.

THE HANGINGSHAW, in the county of
Selkirk, the seat of James Johnstone, Esq..
of Alva, M.P. for the counties of Kinross and
Clackmannan.

This beautiful property, with its charming
residence, was purchased by the grandfather
of the present proprietor, John Johnstone,
son of Sir James Johnstone, third baronet of
Westerhall, by Barbara Murray, daughter
of the fourth Lord Elibank.

Mr. Johnstone returned, about ninety
years ago, with a large fortune, from India,
and purchased extensive estates in Scotland ;
two of which were of uncommon beauty —
Alva, in the county of Clackmannan, which
formerly belonged to Erskine, Bart, of Alva,
a younger branch of the Earls of Mar ; and
the Hangingshaw, in the county of Selkirk,
which formerly belonged to Murray of Philip-
haugh, It is very remarkable that many
families of rank and consequence, and of
nearly equal antiquity, of the name of Murray,
existed, from the earliest times, in Scotland,
without being able to trace any common
origin. The families of Bothwell, Tulibardin,
Blackbarony, Philiphaugh, &c, &c, stand
apart from each other in the genealogical
tree, and can hardly be regarded as branches
of one parent stock. To none of the rest
did the house of Philiphaugh yield in anti-
quity, nor yet in the distinction of its
alliances. Its head enjoyed the rank
of being hereditary Sheriff of Selkirk-
shire until the extinction of heritable juris-
dictions in Scotland ; and altogether he may
be regarded as having been the most consi-
derable country gentleman in his part of
the kingdom. His seat was the Hanging-
shaw ; and although this was sold to Mr.
Johnstone of Alva, the ancient family of
Murray still retained that property in Sel-
kirkshire, which gave it its designation ; and
an elegant mansion has lately been built at



212



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



Philiphaugh by Mr. Murray, the present
proprietor.

Selkirkshire not many centuries ago, was
a royal hunting forest. Queen Mary was
the last sovereign who enjoyed the plea-
sures of the chase in it. The districts of
Yarrow and Etterick were in the centre,
and are still designated " The Forest."
The Hangingshaw Castle stood on a com-
manding position half way up the hill, on the
north side of the Vale of Yarrow. Behind it
was a " Shaw" or opening in the forest, the
precipitous steepness of which caused the
name. The Hangingshaw was remarkable
for a terraced garden with numerous rows of
ancient yew trees and hollies, and some
splendid avenues of very large beeches. As
a trait of the systematic hospitality carried
on at the Hangingshaw by the Murrays, it
is related by tradition that every one that
called at the house on any errand however
trifling, was treated with a draught of ale
sufficient to intoxicate him. The stout
liquor was presented in a capacious cup
known far and wide by the name of " the
Hangingshaw Ladle," and no one was per-
mitted to flinch from the whole draught.
About a century ago, not long before the
transfer of the estate from the Murrays to
the Johnstones, the ancient House was
burnt down by accident. Since then, this
beautiful place was deserted until within
the last few years Mr. Johnstone built a
pretty irregular house with many gables in
the old English style, in which he spends the
autumn of each year. The modern House is
built on the site of the ancient mansion — and
none could be better chosen for picturesque
effect. Hangingshaw is surrounded on all
sides by high hills thickly planted with
venerable trees. It is situated on the slope
of a steep and lofty hill covered with magni-
ficent beeches. Beneath it spread the many
terraced gardens, with thick groves of ancient
yew and holly ; at the bottom of these ter-
races stands the flower garden. Beyond
which stretch stately avenues of noble trees
and venerable groves descending to the beau-
tiful banks of the Yarrow. On the opposite
banks rise the lofty and well-wooded heights
of Bowhill, the seat of the Duke of Buccleuch.
Hangingshaw is one of the most picturesque
places in any of the southern counties of
Scotland.

MILTON LOCKHART, Lanarkshire, the seat of
William Lockhart, Esq., M.P. for the county.
This mansion stands upon a rising ground,
which projects into the valley of the Clyde,
some miles below the Falls. It is in the
gabled style of architecture, the details
being chiefly imitated from the neighbouring
Castle of Craignethan, a fine old ruin, which
about a century ago passer! by purchase



from the family of Hay into that of
Douglas. The approach to it is by a bridge
over the Clyde, consisting of three arches,
ribbed in the ancient style, like those of
Bothwell Bridge and Old Avon Bridge near
Hamilton, both of which belong to a remote
time, but are of unknown date.

The grounds are exceedingly picturesque
and covered with very fine timber, the
growth of many years. The River Clyde
flows round three sides of them, and adds
not a little to the very pleasing effect of the
general scenery.

CAMFIELD PLACE, Hertfordshire, the
seat of the Honourable Baron Dimsdale.
This place was formerly called Wild Hill,
and appertained to the manor of Bedwell ;
but when it came into the possession of
William Priestley, Esq., sheriff of the
county, its name was changed to Camfield
Place. This was in the year 1634, or it may
be a little earlier, prior to which time the
whole manor, whereof this formed a part,
was possessed by William Potter, Esq.

From the family of Priestley, Camfield
Place passed into the hands of the Meth-
wolds, who in 1760 sold it to Thomas
Browne, Esq. His son, the Rev. William
Browne, did not long retain the property,
but disposed of it to Archibald, present
Earl of Roseberry, by whom it was sold to
Robert, third Baron Dimsdale, the father of
the present proprietor.

This House was originally of the Eliza-
bethan style of architecture, and was built
in the reign of Elizabeth, but its character
has since then been in part changed. The
additions made to the north-western side
belong to that school which is generally
designated by the vague and unsatisfactory
name of " modern."

KINROSS HOUSE, Kinross-shire, the seat
of Sir Graham Montgomery, Bart. It was
originally intended as a residence for James
Duke of York, in the event of his being
prevented by the Exclusion Bill from
succeeding to the throne of his brother,
Charles the Second. The estate then
successively passed through the hands of
the Earls of Morton, Sir William Bruce,
and Mr. Graham. Kinross House was built
in 1685 by Sir William Bruce, the celebrated
architect. It is a large and elegant structure
in the Italian style of architecture, standing
upon a finely -wooded promontory between
the town of Kinross and the banks of Loch-
leven. From this elevated spot is a beautiful
view of the lake, and of the Castle of
Lochleven where the unfortunate Queen
Mary was confined by her rebellious nobles.
The owner of Kinross House also
possesses,







j«3^^§



SEATS OF OREAT BRITAIN.



213



STOBO CASTLE, Peebleshire, which was
built in 1809 by his father, Sir James
Montgomery. It is a large square building
in tbe castellated style of architecture,
designed by the Messieurs Elliot. The
ground upon which it stands, is elevated,
and commands an extensive view of the
valley of the Tweed. Previous to the year
1767, this property belonged to Sir Alexan-
der Murray, Bart.

DAVENPOKT HOUSE, Shropshire, not far
from Bridgenorth, a somewhat curious town
upon the Severn, said by many travellers
to resemble the Old Jerusalem. This seat
belongs to William Sharington Davenport,
Esq., the lineal descendant and represen-
tative of Thomas Davenport, second son of
Sir Ralph Davenport, Kt., of Davenport, co.
Chester, temp. Henry VII. Prior to the
time of James the First, the estate, on
which the House stands, was possessed by
the family of Bromley, of Hollon ; but about
1G10 William Davenport of Chorley, mar-
rying Jane, daughter and heiress of Francis
Bromley, he in her right succeeded to the
property. Hereupon he sold his former
estate of Chorley, and resided at Hollon, as
did his descendants till the year 1726, when
Henry Davenport, Esq., pulled down the
old house, and erected, about a hundred
yards from it, the present mansion, which
he called, after his own name, Davenport
House. It is a brick building, and of a ra-
ther unusual design, standing upon a tole-
rably elevated table land. The centre, or
body of the House, is in form a parallelogram,
the brickwork being relieved by cornices,
copings, and window-joints of stone. The
entrance to the House lies under a handsome
stone portico of the Corinthian order, and the
internal decorations with their pillars or
pilasters belong to the same style of archi-
tecture. At equal distances from this cen-
tre are four square wings, each joined to
its respective corner of the main body by a
single wall, so as almost to give the appear-
ance of being detached from it.

The grounds are beautifully undulating.
The Park, consisting of from two to three
hundred acres, is well timbered, and has
many picturesque drives running through it,
with good views of the surrounding neigh-
bourhood.

The impropriation of the rectorial tithes of
the parish (Worlield), and the advowson of
the vicarage, are attached to the property,
as well as the lordship of the manor of
Wyken.

ACTON PARK, Denbighshire, near Wrex-
ham, the seat of Lieutenant-General Sir R.
H. Cunliffe, Kt. and Bart., C.B. This estate
belonged at one time to the family of the



notorious Judge Jeffreys, who was himself
born here, but it is needless to enter into the
career of one whose utter want of every
human virtue has obtained for him a much
larger share of public notice than has been
awarded to many men of far greater talents,
It would almost seem as if the trumpet of
fame was a less powerfid instrument than
that which is blown by infamy.

From the Jeffreys, this estate passed to the
family of Young, and from them to Sir
Foster Cunliffe, Bart., whose ancestors de-
rived their name from a property called Cun-
live, or Cunliffe, at Billington near Whalley,
Lancashire, granted to them before the
Norman Conquest. They belong therefore
to the fine old Saxon race, whose character
and institutions have of late years attracted
so much attention, as being the spring and
fountain-head from which England derives
so much of what is excellent in her laws and
habits.

Acton was first built by Lady Jeffreys,
the Judge's mother, in the time preceding
the reign of Charles the Second, and most
probably about the beginning of the seven-
teenth century. It is a substantial house of
stone, standing upon an elevated lawn in a
well-wooded park, and surrounded by plea-
sure grounds and gardens. On one side is
a noble sheet of water. The lodge-gates are
remarkable for beauty, and in their style
may be almost pronounced unique, presenting
a Grecian colonnade surmounted by the
family crest— four greyhounds. The view
from the house embraces the Welsh moun-
tains and a wide extent of rich landscape
scenery.

In the mansion is a good collection' of
pictures, with many family portraits. The
suite of receiving rooms is well worthy of
notice, for their size, height, convenience,
and admirable beauty of proportion.

DIMLAND CASTLE, or Dimlands, as gene-
rally called in the locality, is situated
about six miles south-west of the market
town of Cowbridge, in the county of Gla-
morgan, on the loftiest portion of the shore
of the Bristol Channel. The present pos-
sessor is John Whitlock Nicholl Came,
Esq., M.A. and D.C.L. of the University
of Oxford, a magistrate for the county,
and for some years a barrister on the Ox-
ford and South Wales Circuits. Upon his
marriage, he took up his residence at Tre-
silian, (a place adjoining the Dimland es
tate,) which having greatly altered and
restored, he occupied until after his father's
decease, when he removed to Dimlands.

Dr. Nicholl Carne is the second and
younger son of the late Rev. Robert
Carne, M.A., of Nash Manor and Dim-
lands (see Burke's Landed Gentry), and con-



214



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



sequently is brother of the present owner
of Nash Manor (see Nash Manor in this
work). His mother, who still survives,
and resides with him at Dimlands, is
daughter and heiress of the late Captain
Charles Loder Carne, R.N.

Dimlands was built by the father of the
present, possessor at the close of the last
century, upon a portion of the landed pro-
perty left him by his father, Whitlock
Nicholl, of The Ham, in the parish of Llan-
twit Major, sheriff for the county of Gla-
morgan in 174G, which property can be
traced back in the Nicholl family to the
reign of King Henry the Seventh, shortly
before which the Nicholls came over from
Cornwall, where, it appears from various
authorities, they had long been very pow-
erful (see Gilbert's Hist. Cornwall).

The Rev. Robert Carne was the youngest
son of the above-mentioned Whitlock Ni-
choll, and as the family mansion was given to
the eldest son, lltyd, he commenced build-
ing Dimlands, upon which he spent a consi-
derable sum of money, having, for the
chief period of his long life been con-
stantly occupied in improving and adding
thereto. His property, that of a younger
son, was at first comparatively small,
though consisting of some of the richest
land in the celebrated Vale of Glamorgan,
but in course of time he was enabled to
purchase surrounding properties, amongst
which was Wwrgan's Town (the site of the
ancient castle of Jestin aj) Gwrgant, lord of
Glamorgan), and the Millways, near Bover-
ton, both originally portions of the Fonmon
Castle estate ; and to these the present pos-
sessor has considerably added by the pur-
chase of the Earl of Plymouth's property,
as well as the Whitecross Farm, which last
was bought of his relative, Whitlock Nicholl
of Adamsdown, having originally belonged
to the first-mentioned Whitlock Nicholl of
he Ham.

The mansion of Dimlands is a castellated
Tudor building, consisting of the blue lias
limestone of the country, the windows,
cornices, and ornamental portions of the
castle being Coombedown stone from the
neighbourhood of Bath. The principal front,
facing the south, is upwards of one hun-
dred and thirty feet in length, and overlooks
that portion of the property which extends
to the Bristol Channel, the shore of which
is very little more than a mile distant. On
this side the building is very lofty, and from
the turrets can be seen in clear weather, the
western coast of Cornwall and Lundy Island,
a distance of nearly eighty miles, whilst the
view towards the east is only bounded by
the high land near the entrance of the Bris-
tol river. The garden, or eastern front, a
great portion of which is new, runs to the



north upwards of ninety feet, and commands
a view of the rich country surrounding the
very ancient town of Llantwit Major, cele-
brated for its antiquarian remains, and as
having been the first Christian University in
Great Britain having been founded by lltu-
tus a.d. 507, the patron saint of the Ni-
cholls, and after whom for several centuries
past, the eldest son of that family has been
christened Iltutus or lltyd. In the centre
of the south front is the principal entrance,
where there is a porch formed entirely of
Combedown stone. The outer door is very
massive, and studded with heavy nails. Over
the pointed arch of the outer door are two
shields leaning from one another, cut
very strongly in relief, containing the arms,
crests, and mottoes of the families of Carne
and Nicholl. The roof is composed of dull
plate glass resting upon ornamented beams,
springing from carved oak heads. The floor
has a very pleasing effect, being formed of
Minton's tiles, representing various arms,
together with the initials of the present
owner and his wife, and the date of their
marriage. From this porch an outer hall
is entered, which is lighted by a cupola,
tastefully decorated with carved crests and
initials, whilst over the door is a stone tre-
foil window of painted glass, containing the
arms of Ynyr, King of Gwent, father of
Thomas Carne, who first assumed that name
from Pencarne, his father's residence. Round
this hall on brackets, are placed warriors,
holding shields, illustrative of the different
arms which the family are entitled to quar-
ter. Passing through a folding glass door,
you come to a second hall of greater size,
containing the staircase, which is very mas-
sive, and carved in the Tudor style. This
hall is also decorated with trophies, arms,
and heraldic devices. The rooms are nume-
rous, and although not large are well pro-
portioned. The dining-room has a carved
chimney piece of Caen stone, with shields
representing the arms of Ynyr, a.d. 985 ;
Mansel, a.d. 1618; Stradling, a.d. 1652;
Loder, a.d. 1728 ; the centre shield con-
taining the arms of Carne and Brancker,
a.d. 1844. In this room there are some
good paintings of the Carne family, by Sir
Peter Lely, Zucharo, &c.

The drawing-room is remarkable for the
peculiar shape of the chimney piece, the
only one of the sort which we ever remember
to have seen, and is similar to the arches
seen in churches where the founder is buried.
It is formed of Caen stone, and has a label
over it, ending in two supporters, with the
monogram I:N:C. On this label is the an-
cient motto "+HEB.+DHYW.+HEB.+
DHYM.+DUW+A+DIGON+" There
are several large oil paintings of St. Donat's
Castle, Lanrihangle, Llantwit, and other



SEATS OP GREAT BRITAIN.



215



places, the residences of parties connected
with this family. The library is a new struc-
ture, only just completed, with a large old-
fashioned tire-place, fitted up with a dog
grate and white glazed bricks. The chim-
ney-piece is of Caen stone, curiously carved,
and on the chief panel of which is the old
Came motto of +FY;+NGOBAITH+SY
DD+YN.+NUW.+ There are two
other sitting rooms, but they contain no-
thing remarkable except some paintings,
especially one of Miss Elinor Carne (after-
wards Mrs. Markham) by Sir Thomas Law-
rence, done at Bath, when she was only
fourteen, and the painter sixteen years of
age, and which therefore must have been one
of his earliest attempts.

The only other feature worth mentioning
about Dimlands is the stables, which though
on a small scale, are worth recording from
their peculiarity and neatness. They con-
sist of sharp pointed gables, which are
finished off at the top with the Carne crest,
cut in freestone, and which makes a very
good finish, being a split pelican issuing out
of a ducal coronet. On the southern front
of the stables is a curiously carved stone
containing the Carne arms, the date of the
original grant in A.D. 1336, and the confir-
mation in a.d. 1842, together with an ac-
count of the assumption by the Rev. Robert
Nicholl, of the name and arms of Carne, by
Royal Licence, in the last-mentioned year,
together with several interesting particulars
relative to the two families, forming altoge-
ther a peculiar and lasting memorial, and an
ornamental feature in the place. We cannot
conclude this notice without mentioning that
in the planning and carrying out of the
above building, no architect was consulted,
but the local labourers (who were employed
on principle) carried out the whole of the
works from the designs and drawings of the
owner, who was thus enabled to make the
outlay of his money tend to the benefit of his
poorer neighbours, and which proves, that
if country gentlemen would only take the
trouble and develope native talent, they need
not, as is generally the case, throw their
money away on strangers.

BEDWORTH HOSPITAL, in the centre of
the small town of Bedworth, on the out-
skirts of the Forest of Arden, about five
miles from Coventry. The building is within
a court facing the high road, and forms three
sides of a spacious quadrangle, the fourth
side being laid out in flower borders, and



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 47 of 73)