Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 48 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 48 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ornamented with a square well-house. In
the centre of the building is an elegant div-
ing hall, with a massive oak ceiling, and six
lofty windows, in the Gothic style. The
fireplace is of Caen stone, and is ornamented
with armorial bearings of the Earl of



Aylesford, the Hon. and Rev. Charles
Finch, Rev. Henry Bellairs, William S. Lug-
dale, Esq., C. N. Newdegate, Esq., M.P.,
the Rev. W. T. Bree, and T. Coker Adams,
who are the present governors of the hospital.
To the south of the hall is an oaken screen,
extending across the apartment, surmounted
with oak griffins, bearing in their paws the
arms of the hospital. On the north of the
hall are ten apartments and twenty bed-
rooms for twenty Bede women,and on the
south is the same accommodation for twenty
Bede men. At the entrances into the court
are two lodges, one occupied by the Rev.
Charles Bellairs, and the other by the
matron. The hospital is built of red brick,
with stone facings, in the Tudor style, with
arched cloisters extending round the three
sides of the quadrangle. This interesting
hospital was founded in 1715, by Mr.
Nicholas Chamberlain, Rector of Bedworth,
and liberally endowed with extensive estates
and coal mines in the parish of Bedworth.
There are twenty aged men and twenty aged
women of the parish entirely clothed, fed,
and lodged from the proceeds of this hospi-
tal. In addition to which, it provides an ex-
cellent education, and clothing from head to
foot, to nearly six hundred boys and girls.

The governors meet annually, on Whit
Wednesday, and go in procession with the
forty almspeople, and the six hundred chil-
dred, to attend divine service in the parish
church, by the express orders contained in
the founder's "will.

There is at present in this hospital an old
man, who lived seven years as footman to
the father of the present Queen, and after-
wards in the service of King George IV., and
then for many years was table decker to King
William IV. and Queen Adelaide.

The arms of the hospital, are gules, an
escutcheon argt. within an orle of mullets or.

BROXBOURNBURY, Hertfordshire, the seat
of George Jacob Bosanquet, Esq., high
sheriff of that shire in 1833, and his Majesty's
charge d'affaires at Madrid from 1828 to
1830.

At the time of the Norman conquest, this
manor was possessed by Adeliza, wife of
Hugh Grentemeisnil, one of the most cele-
brated of the bold adventurers who accom-
panied William, Duke of Normandy, in his
invasion of Britain, and who, being seized
with remorse for his past life, assumed the
habit of a monk, and in six days afterwards
died. At a later period— but how, we do
not know — it came into the possession of
Robert, Earl of Leicester, who gave it to the
Knights Templars, and upon the violent
dissolution of their order, it passed to the
Knights of St. John, or Knights Hospitallers.
With them it remained till Henry VIII.



216



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



seized upon all the monastic possessions,
when he shortly after sold this part of his
spoil to John Cock, of Broxbourn, Esq. We
next find it possessed by tbe Monsons, to
whom it first devolved by marriage with the
daughter and heiress of the preceding owner.
In 1789, it was purchased by Jacob Bosan-
quet, Esq., a Director of the East India Com-
pany.

It is not exactly known at what period
the mansion was built, but there can be
little doubt of its belonging to a remote
period. At all events, it was there that Sir
Henry Cock received King James upon his
return from Scotland. No judgment of the
date can be formed from its style of archi-
tecture, which has been the result of various
alterations, being partly Elizabethan, partly
Palladian. It stands in a well-timbered park,
of about three hundred acres, about one mile
from the railway station.

COKSHAM COUKT, or, as it is pronounced,
and sometimes written, Cosham, Wiltshire,
the seat of Lord Methuen. The manor is
royal, and was the dowry of the Queens of
England. At one time it was possessed by
Henrietta Maria, the consort of Charles I.

" Cosham," says Leland, in his Itinerary,
"is a good uplandish town, where be ruins
of an old manor-place, and thereby a park,
wont to be dower to the queens of England.
Mr. Baynton, in Queen Ann's days, pulled
down, by license, a piece of this house,
somewhat to help his buildings at Bromham.
Old Mr. Bonhomme told me, that Cosham
appertained to the earldom of Cornwall, and
that Cosham was a mansion-place belonging
to it, where they sometimes lay. All the
men of this townlet were bond ; so that upon
a time, one of the earls of Cornwall hearing
them secretly lament their fate, manumitted
them for money, and gave them the lordship
of Cosham in copyhold, to pay a chief rent."
Corsham Court was possessed by the families
of Thorpe and Hungerford, before it passed
into the hands of the Methuens. It was
built by John Thorpe, Esq., in 1582, upon
a site that was before occupied by the palace
of the Earls of Cornwall. It was in the
Elizabethan style of architecture, but, in the
year 1804, it was greatly altered, under the
direction of Mr. Nash. The work, however,
of this architect was obliged to be pulled
down, from its imperfect state, and, in 1849,
a new north front was finished.

Corsham House, as is not uncommon with
other buildings of the same period, is sepa-
rated from the town only by a large court-
yard, the house being at one end, and the
stables at the other. This was not, however,
enclosed by buildings, but by walls covered
with shrubs and ivy, and disfigured by
Grecian statues and vases, in utter contra-



diction to the Gothic character of the front.
Then again, while the south front belonged
to what has been called Queen Elizabeth's
Gothic, the north was of Grecian architec-
ture. All this, however, has been so far
altered that the building now presents a
congruous and consistent whole.

The collection of paintings to be seen here
is extremely valuable. It was formed by Sir
Paul Methuen, who, at different periods of his
life, was Envoy Extraordinary and Ambas-
sador to the Emperors of Germany and Mo-
rocco, as web 1 as to the Kings of Spain, Portu-
gal, and Sardinia. Voltaire, in his Age of
Louis XIV., pronounces him one of the best
ministers that the English ever employed
in an embassy : and Sir Richard Steele, in
dedicating to him the seventh volume of the
" Spectator," gives him the character of " a
good-natured, honest, and accomplished gen-
tleman." At home he filled many high
offices ; he was a Lord of the Admiralty, a
Lord of the Treasury, Principal Secretary
of State, Comptroller of the Household, and
one of the Privy Council, and was created
a Knight of the Bath, upon the revival of
that order, in 1795.

The value of the collection, formed by the
taste and judgment of this gentleman, may
in some measure be estimated from the
names of the artists, since our limits prevent
any detailed account of the works them-
selves. Rubens, Titian, Guido, Correggio,
Paul Veronese, Michael Angelo, Salvator
Rosa, Lanfranc, Rembrandt, Vandyck, Carlo
Dolce, Poussin, Teniers, Wouvermans, Both,
and Luca Giordon, the principal names in
the catalogue, must, we think, be accepted
as tolerable vouchers for the excellency of
this gallery. Indeed, it would not be going
too far to say, that the greater part of these
works are chef d'amvres of the respective
masters.

The grounds attached to Corsham Court,
were laid out by the celebrated Repton, and
by the taste displayed in them do ample
justice to his high reputation. This has been
no less shown in what he has done, as in
what he has left undone, by his never at-
tempting more than the nature of the ground
would allow, and by making all his designs
subservient to its actual capability.

BARLBOKOUGH HALL, Derbyshire, near
Chesterfield, the seat of W. Hatfield de
Rodes, Esq. It was built in the year 1583,
by Prancis Rodes, Esq., one of the Justices
of the Common Pleas. In his family it re-
mained till the death of the late proprietor,
the Rev. C. H. Reaston Rodes, by whom it
was left to his nephew by marriage.

In form the House approaches nearly to a
square, with four fronts, the principal of
which, facing the south, is most highly orna ■



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



217



merited. The approach to it is by a flight of
steps, through a porch adorned with Doric
pillars, that lead into the hall. Externally
the building retains its original appearance,
an Elizabethan structure, with transome and
bay windows, and antique turrets. Internally
it has been more or less adapted to modern
ideas of convenience. In one of the apart-
ments on the first story, which has now been
converted into a billiard-room, is a magnifi-
cent stone chimneypiece, taken out of the
great chamber ; it is enriched with fluted
pillars of the Doric order, supporting statues
of Justice and Eeligion, armorial bearings,
and divers ornaments in bas relief. In the
upper part are the arms of Rodes, with these
inscriptions, " Francis Rodes Serviens
DominyE Regin^e ad Legem 1584, ^Etatis
svje 50." In the lower part two shields, bear-
ing the arms of Rodes, with different em-
palements ; one, supported by a judge on the
dexter side, inscribed "FEANCISCUS Rodes,"
and by a lady on the other, inscribed "Eliz.
Sandford." The other shield, with the
same supporters, inscribed " Franciscus
Rodes, Maria Charleton," and at the
bottom is this inscription, " Constitutes
Justiciaries de Banco Communi, 30
Eliz."

The offices and stables, which have been
built to correspond with the House, surround
a court upon its west side. The grounds
are varied and picturesque.

PURLEY PARK, about four miles north-
west of Reading, the seat of Anthony Morris
Storer, Esq.

The manor of Great Purley was for
several generations in the family of Carew,
from whom it passed, by female heirs, to the
Iwarbys and St. Johns. From the last-
named family it was bought by Sir Robert
Mackreth, and afterwards passed, by two seve-
ral purchases, to Mr. Martindale, and Anthony
Morris Storer, Esq., M.P., who was about
to build a new house upon the estate, when
death frustrated his intentions. Pursuant,
however, to the directions in his will, the
work was afterwards completed, and, as he
had purposed, from the plans of the cele-
brated architect, Sir James Wyatt. It then
devolved to the Honourable Mrs. Storer,
sister-in-law of the last-named proprietor, and
grandmother of the present A. M. Storer, Esq.
Anthony Morris Storer, Esq., M.P., is still
held in recollection for his liberality to Eton
College. He presented that institution with a
number of early-printed and rare books, in
various departments of literature. Amongst
these was a remarkably fine set of Aldus's,
and some other rare editions of the classics,
particularly a splendid copy of Macrobius.
He also gave to the college a large col-
lection of portraits, and other valuable
VOL. II.



prints, as well as many historical and topo-
graphical volumes.

The House of Purley Park is in that modern
style of architecture, to which it is so diffi-
cult to assign a definite and appropriate
name. The material of which it is con-
structed is Portland stone, which gives to it
a handsome and substantial appearance.

WHITTINGTON HALL, Derbyshire, about
three miles from the town of Chesterfield,
the seat of Henry Dixon, Esq., in whose
family the property has been for at least a
century and a half, and perhaps for a much
longer period.

The present mansion was built about 1832,
by the gentleman now owning the estate,
and takes the place of an old Manor House,
that had existed here for more than two hun-
dred years. It is in the old English style of
architecture, hi admirable keeping with the
surrounding scenery. The grounds are park-
like and well timbered.

The most remarkable objects in its vicinity
are a chalybeate spring, and a cottage called
the Revolution House, from its having been
the place where the terms of the Revolution,
in 1688, Avere adjusted.

BURGH HALL, Aylsham. Norfolk, the
seat of James Hunt Holley, Esq. This
family is of ancient repute in the county,
and added the name of Hunt to their sur-
name upon the marriage of Miss Hunt with
the great-grandfather of the present owner of
the estate. He resided at Blickling, in this
neighbourhood, as did his son also, but the
place was afterwards sold.

Burgh Hall was built in 1849 by James
Hunt Holley, Esq. The grounds have at-
tracted attention amongst antiquaries, as
having been an old Roman and Norman sta-
tion. Some old pottery, with other reliques
of the past, have been recently found here,
all indicative of such a fact.

LEATON HALL, in the county of Stafford,
near Enville, Stourbridge, the seat of William
Moseley, Esq.

This was originally a mansion in the Eliza-
bethan style of architecture. It was, how-
ever, almost entirely rebuilt in 1817 by Wal-
ter Henry Moseley, Esq., of the Mere. It now
presents the appearance of a square, brick-
built house, covered with Roman cement,
and possessing every convenience for a private
family.

Attached to it are a well-stocked garden
and pleasure grounds, which if not of a very
great extent, are yet laid out with taste and
elegance. The neighbouring country is al-
most the only part of Staffordshire that rises
into gentle elevations, the general aspect of
this inland district, with a few exceptions—

F F



218



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



such as the Dudeley, Sedgeley, and Rowley
Hills — being flat and level.

TEANINICH, in the county of Ross, North
Britain, the seat of John Munro, Esq.,
Major-General in the Hon. East India Com-
pany's service, who formerly filled the offices
of Secretary to the Commander-in-Chief at
Madras, and Quartermaster-General of the
Madras Army, and was subsequently made
Political Resident at the Court of Travancore.
General Munro is a magistrate and Deputy-
Lieutenant for Ross-shire.

The Gaelic word Teaninich signifies " the
House at the Foot of the Hill;" but in the old
county records it is mentioned under the
name of Miltown, on account of a feudal
superiority accorded to a branch of the
Munros settled there ; by this it was com-
pulsory upon the people of the neighbourhood
to bring their corn to the lord's mill to be
ground, or in lieu thereof to pay a commuta-
tion ; a common custom of feudal days, and
thus noticed by Sir Walter Scott : " All the
world knows that the cultivators of each
barony or regality, temporal or spiritual, in
Scotland, are obliged to bring their corn to
be grinded at the mill of the territory, for
which they pay a heavy charge called the
intown multures. Those of the Suchen, or
enthralled ground, were liable in penalties,
if, deviating from this thirlage (or thraldom)
they carried their grain to another mill."
The town is still known in Gaelic as Pal na
Muilionn, or "Town of the Mill."

The Gaelic name of the clan, Munro, is
by some supposed to be derived from Mac
High, that is, " son of a king." Others
deduce the etymology of the word from a
loch in Ireland called the Boewater, their
descent being traced from Eachin, or Hector,
a Prince of Fermanagh.

The present mansion, a castellated struc-
ture, was built in the commencement of the
seventeenth century, to replace a castle which
stood upon a hill at no great distance. The
eminence still retains its name of Croe na
Castil, or "Hill of the Castle," from the
building that formerly crowned its summit.
Since the beginning of the eleventh century
this estate has always been possessed by the
Munros, having descended as an apanage of
a younger branch of the family of Foulis, the
chief of the clan.

CLAYTON HALL, Lancashire, two miles
from Accrington, and between four and five
from Blackburn, the seat of James Lomax,
Esq., a magistrate for the county.

At a very remote period of our history
this manor was held by a family which either
received its name from, or gave its name to,
the locality, for either would be in accord-
ance with the custom of those early ages.



The last male descendant of this house was
Henry de Clayton, who left two daughters,
coheiresses, the eldest of whom, in the reign
of Edward III., married Adam de Grimshaw,
and thus conveyed her portion of the estate
into the Grimshaw family. From them it
passed to John Heywood, of Urmston, by
marriage with the daughter and heiress of
the preceding owner. They also died without
male issue, and in like manner their daughter
and heiress conveyed the property by mar-
riage to Richard Lomax, Esq., of Pilsworth,
whose family had for many ages possessed
the estate of Burnshawe Tower, in the valley
of Todmorden.

The present mansion was erected in, or
about f the year 1770 by the grandfather of
the gentleman now owning it. The style of
architecture is Grecian. The grounds are
undulating and well-wooded.

CLEVEDON COURT, Somersetshire, the seat
of Sir Charles A. Elton, Bart. This place has
its name from the neighbouring village of
Clevedon, or Clivedon, which was so called
because the cliff, or dive, here ceasing, a dun
or valley is formed, which declines to the
Bristol Channel.

At the time of the Norman Conquest this
property was held by a family who assumed
from it the appellation of De Clevedon. It
next passed to Edmund Hogshaw, by his
marriage with Emmelina, daughter and heir
of Edmund de Clevedon. He dying without
children, his estates were divided between
his two married sisters, in which partition
Clevedon fell to the share of Margery, wife
of John Bluet. By the latter it was soon
afterwards assigned to Sir Thomas Lovel,
Knt., who left a daughter and heiress, Agnes,
married to Sir Thomas Wake, Knt., Gentle-
man of the Privy Chamber to King Edward
IV. His son having sided with Richard III.
at the Battle of Bosworth Field, was attainted,
when Henry VII. granted one moiety of
Clevedon manor to Sir Humphrey Stanley
and Sir James Parker, Knts., and the other
to John Crocker and John Dudley, Esqrs.,
to hold by the service of a red rose, payable
yearly at the feast of the nativity of St. John
the Baptist. But not long afterwards Wake
obtained the restitution of nearly all his lands,
and settled Clevedon upon his second son.

We next see Clevedon possessed by John
Digby, Earl of Bristol, of whose family it
was purchased in 1709 by Sir Abraham Elton,
the first baronet of that name. With his
descendants it has ever since remained.

Clevedon Court is partly in the decorated
style of architecture, and partly hi the Eli-
zabethan. The hall and other portions date,
probably, from the reign of Edward II. ; the
library and adjacent rooms were built by the
Wakes in 1570. There are some modern



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



219



additions, the whole effect being extremely
beautiful. Clevedon Court stands upon the
southern slope of an extensive range of hills,
and not more than a mile and a half from the
Bristol Channel. The hills behind the House
are clothed with pinaster, arbutus, ilex, and
every variety of ever-greens, growing with
remarkable luxuriance.

The rocks in the neighbourhood rise to a
great height, and with much magnificence.
On one of them, that overlooks a vast extent
of land and water, a tower stood at one time,
known as Wake's Tower, from one of the
family of Wake, who had erected it as a
place of observation. But this picturesque
object was long ago destroyed, and even the
summer-house, which in 1738 Mr. Elton built
upon its site, has also gone to ruins. In the
hill are several old lead mines, and that kind
of ore is still frequently found in digging near
the surface.

TEMPLE-COMBE, or Abbas Combe, co. So-
merset, the seat of Philip Richardson Peck,
Esq., commands a noble view of the Black-
more Vale and Stourhead Tower. The House
has been, of late, considerably altered, and
the Gardens and pleasure grounds have been
greatly improved by the present owner. The
interior of the House was very beautifully
fitted up in the modern style by Mr. Jasper
Peck. It contains some fine paintings,
among the rest a family group of Samuel
Richardson the novelist, his wife and chil-
dren. Of that distinguished writer, the pre-
sent Mr. Peck is a direct descendant.

Temple Combe received its name from
having originally been an establishment of the
military order of Knights Templars, who,
about the year 1185, had the manor granted
to them by Serlo Fitzwido. Upon their sup-
pression in the reign of Edward II., their
lands were bestowed upon the Hospitallers,
or Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. In
1540 this order also was suppressed, and their
possessions being seized by the crown, they
were afterwards granted by Henry VIII.,
first to Richard Andrews and Leonard Cham-
berlain ; and in the year following to Edward
Lord Clinton, subsequently created Earl of
Lincoln. He seems to have sold it to
Richard Duke, Esq.

In the beginning of the last century it was
possessed by Sir William Wogan, who dis-
posed of it to Peter Walter, Esq., of Stal-
bridge, and he again devised it to his sons
in tail male, with remainder to the ancestors
of the Marquess of Anglesey, from whom the
Long Farm was purchased, about three years
ago, by John Bailward, Esq., of Horsington.

Soon after the suppression of the priory,
the greater part of the conventual buildings
were pulled down, and a substantial manor-
house erected with the materials. This is



now the farm-house. " Some remains of the
chapel are to be seen in the garden, and the
enormous fire place of the kitchen still ex-
hibits marks of the blazing hearth, which
supplied the culinary operations of the estab-
lishment." A considerable space of ground
bears the traces of inclosures and fish-ponds ;
and a fine view is obtained from the grounds
adjoining.

Combe Farm in Abbas Combe was pur-
chased by Jasper Peck, Esq., of the Inner
Temple, Barrister-at-Law ; and of



CORNISH HALL, in the county of Denbigh,
North Wales. This seat has been in the
family for upwards of two centuries; and de-
scended to the present Philip Richardson
Peck, Esq., who is the eldest surviving son
of the Rev. Kenrick Peck, only brother of
the said Jasper Peck, Esq.



BARROW HALL, formerly Bullen Hall,
Lincolnshire, near Barton-upon-Humber, the
seat of Charles Uppleby, Esq.

This estate was at one time possessed by
the Lambs, a family long since extinct. It
was afterwards held by the Crowles, who
first came into this country with King Wil-
liam IIL, upon the expulsion of his father-in-
law, James II. With one of this family an
ancestor of the Upplebys intermarried, and
thus became possessed of Barrow Hall, which
he transmitted in regular succession to his
descendants up to the time of the present
owner, in whose hands it still continues.

An old mansion stood here, the date
whereof had long ceased to be known, nor
are there any records of it now remaining.
In all probability it had little or no connec-
tion with the history of the past or with
local tradition. The present House was built
in the year 1777 by George Uppleby, Esq.,
a gentleman of the Bed Chamber to King
George IIL, and a Justice of the peace
for Lincolnshire. The architecture of the
House belongs to the style of the period, and
which can only be described as being neither
Greek, Roman, Italian, nor Gothic, but the
production of an age when architecture was
little studied or understood. It is, however,
sufficiently spacious and convenient, and
derives an interest from the surrounding
country.



NORBTJRY PARK, Surrey, the seat of Thomas
Grissell, Esq. The original and proper name
of this place was Northbury, an appellation
expressive of the site of the manor, which is
on the north side of the pari&h of Mickleham,
whereof it forms a portion.

In the reign of Edward II., Norbury was



220



SEATS OF GKEAT BRITAIN.



held of the Earl of Gloucester by William
Husee, and after some other transitions it
came into the possession of Thomas Stode-
wolfe, Stydoph, or Stydolf, by his marriage
■with Isabel, the eldest of the coheiresses of
John Wymeldon. In the Stydolf family
the estate remained for several generations,
until in 1766 it was sold to Anthony Chap-
man, Esq., who after felling nearly all the
walnut trees disposed of it in 1774 to William
Lock, Esq.

In 1819 Norbury Park again shifted hands,
being transferred in the way of sale to F.
Robinson, Esq., who again sold it to Edward
Fuller Maitland, Esq., who exchanged it with
Henry Piper Sperling, Esq., for an estate in
Berkshire, called Park Place. It now be-
longs to Thomas Grissell, Esq., F.S.A.

The old manor house stood near the road,



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 48 of 73)