Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 5 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 5 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of Salisbury, who in the followjngyeargranted
to his " dear and beloved brother Alega de
Buxhall for the entire affection, &c." " ten
pounds to be annually taken out of the issues
and profits of the manor of Swainston."

By the marriage of his daughter and heiress
Alis, the manor went to Richard Neville,
afterwards created Earl of Salisbury, son of
Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmoreland, by his
second wife Joanna, daughter of John of
Ghent, Duke of Lancaster, father of Henry
IV.

His son Richard Neville (the king maker)
married Anne, daughter of Beauchamp,
Earl of Warwick, the last of that family, and
sister to Henry Beauchamp, Duke of War-
wick, crowned King of the Isle of Wight by
Henry VI. Having by this marriage suc-
ceeded to the title of Warwick, and by his
father's death to that of Salisbury, he was
defeated and slain at the battle of Barnet,
leaving two daughters coheiresses, of whom
the elder (Anne) married first, Edward, Prince
of Wales, son of Henry VI., and, secondly,
Richard III. ; while the younger (Isabel)
married George, Duke of Clarence, brother
to Edward IV. and Richard III., by whom
she had issue two children — Edward, Earl of
Warwick and Salisbury, and Margaret, Coun-
tess of Salisbury.

The manor of Swainston having been for-
feited to Edward IV. by the death of " the
king-maker" at Barnet, he granted it to
his brother George, Duke of Clarence, and it
having by his attainder again reverted to the
crown, it was restored to his son Edward,
Earl of Warwick and Salisbury, on whose
attainder and death (being beheaded in the
Tower), it became subject to the disposition
of Henry VII. By Henry VIII. it was re-



stored to the family of the former owner in
the person of his sister Margaret, Countess of
Salisbury, th e last of the Plantagenets. She
married Sir Richard Pole, Knight of the
Garter, but afterwards shared her brother's
fate, being attainted and beheaded.

The manor, having been thus five times
forfeited to the crown by attainder, was by
Queen Mary in the first year of her reign
again restored by a grant to Winifred,
daughter and coheiress (with her sister Ca-
therine) of Henry Pole, Lord Montague,
son of Margaret, Countess of Salisbury, he
having been also beheaded three years
before his mother.

This Winifred married, first, Sir Thomas
Hastings, brother to Francis Earl of Hunting-
don (who married Catherine the other sister),
and secondly, Sir Thomas Barrington of
Barrington Hall, in Essex, Knight, by whom
she had a son Francis, created a baronet by
James I. in 1611.

The manor wasby thismarriage transferred
to the Barrington family, and it remained
in their possession until the death of the
last baronet, Sir Fitzwilliam Barrington,
whose eldest daughter and heiress Louisa
Edith, brought it in marriage to the present
proprietor Sir Richard Simeon, Bart.

The house is irregularly built, and stands
in park-like grounds of considerable extent.
Some remains of the old chapel are still ex-
tant, but they have been converted into
offices. The grounds are remarkably beau
tiful, and quite justify the account of a
modern tourist who says, " From a hill
as we approach, Swainston presents a burst
of the most luxuriant wooded scenery,
the effect of which is greatly contributed to
by the romantic swells and declivities of the
surface."

HALING HOUSE, near Croydon, in the
county of Surrey, the seat of William Parker
Hamoud, Esq. The name has been de-
rived, with some appearance of probability,
from the Anglo-Saxon halig, signifying
" holy," and ing, " a field or meadow." The
latter term is often found amongst us in the
composition of the names of places ; as Bas-
ing, Read-ing, Ketter-ing, Godalm-ing, Yell-
ing, as Lye has already noted. In regard to
the first part of the derivation from halig,
or holy, it obtains much plausibility from the
fact of this place being close to the manor of
Wodden, or Woden, the war-god of the
ancient Germans, equivalent to the classical
Mars, and the Odin of the Northern nations.
It was therefore the Holy Meadoiv, a name
it no doubt derived from its having been
sacred to some of the Pagan superstitions
before the Anglo-Saxons embraced Chris-
tianity.

In early times this manor was possessed



20



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN'.



by the family of Wareham, who sold it to
the crown. Queen Mary gave it to Sir
John Gage, K.G., as a mark of royal favour,
he being a zealous Catholic. In the suc-
ceeding reign, however, the same principles
led to a forfeiture of the estate. John
Gage having concealed a missionary priest,
by name Beesby, he was committed to the
Tower in a chamber called the " Broad-
arrow Tower," in which, between the first
and second recesses on the left-hand side, is
yet extant an inscription that is supposed to
have been his work. Being brought to trial,
he was convicted and attainted: but, more
fortunate than his companions in peril, he
escaped the extreme sentence of the law to
which he had rendered himself liable, and
was punished only by the loss of his estates,
and a long imprisonment. The crown took
possession of the forfeited lands, and leased
them to Charles, Lord Howard of Effing-
ham, Lord High Admiral of England; so that
when Gage was released from imprisonment,
he found himself reduced not only to
poverty, but to severe distress. In this
extremity he found relief from his son, who,
to assist him in his difficulties, "voluntarily
relinquished to his parent the reversion of
the forfeited manor," which was then sold to
Christopher Gardiner, Esq., of Dorking.
He thus became entitled to the estate
in virtue of his purchase, whenever John
Gage should die ; but when this event took
place he did not gain possession without
contesting it in the Exchequer, when the
point was decided in his favour.

In 1707, this estate was conveyed to
Edward Stringer, Esq. He died three years
afterwards, when it became the property of
his widow, who took for a second husband
William Parker, Esq., and from him it has
descended to the present possessor, William
Parker Hamond, Esq., the great-grandson
of that lady.

The Hall is an ancient edifice, standing in
the midst of a park one hundred acres in
extent, that almost encircles the town of
Croydon. It is backed by a grove, in which
is one of the oldest cedars in the county,
and must have more than usual claims to
notice, since it has been made the subject of
a poem given in Lyson's " Magna Britannia."

PAMPISFOE.D HALL, or PAMPSWORTH
HALL, Cambridgeshire, about eight miles
from the University, and twelve from Royston,
the seat of William Parker Hamond, Esq., of
Haling House, Surrey, High Sheriff for Cam-
bridgeshire and Hunts in 1852. At the time
of the Doomsday survey, there were two ma-
nors in Pampsworth; one belonged to the
abbot and monks of Ely, having been given
to them in 991 by Duke Brithnoth ; the
other was held by two knights under Alan,



Earl of Brittany and Richmond. Hervey, first
Bishop of Ely, gave the former of these ma-
nors to his nephew, William de Laventon,
chaplain to King Henry the First, to be held
by him under the abbey by knight's service.
In the reign of Edward the First it was in
the family of Fitz-Ancher, or Fitz -Anger, and
afterwards in the Shardelowes. The other
manor, which was held of the honour of
Richmond, passed successively through the
families of Brock, Creek, Colville, and
Marsh, and finally devolved, in 1710, to the
Parkers and the Hamonds.

Pampisworth Hall is in the modern Italian
style of architecture, with a terrace run-
ning along the front, and stands upon an emi-
nence overlooking a well-wooded country.
Around it is a handsome lawn, the approach
being through avenues of pine. The plea-
sure grounds and plantations are beautiful
and extensive, and in the former is an ancient
British dyke, that runs from the woodlands
to the fens. This, however, was partly filled
up in 1851, to allow the construction of a
new road.

MILLIKEN Renfrewshire, North Britain,
the seat of Sir Robert John Milliken Napier,
Bart. The possession of this estate came by
marriage to the present family in 1733, their
ancient seat having been Merchistoun Castle,
near Edinburgh, and more recently Cul-
creuch, in Stirlingshire.

The original mansion was burnt down by
accident in 1801, and was rebuilt in 1825 by
Sir William M. Napier, the late baronet,
from plans by Gillespie, a Scottish architect
of eminence. It is of the Grecian style of
architecture, and is in the centre of a large
park ornamented with fine old trees, the
growth of centuries.

The estate of Milliken was anciently,
while possessed by the Nisbets and the Wal-
laces, called Johnstoun. At the decease of
the last William Wallace, of Johnstoun,
temp. Charles I., the property was acquired by
Sir Ludovick Houstoun, of that ilk, and
became the patrimony of his second son,
George Houstoun, ancestor of the Houstons
of Johnstone, from whom the lands were pur-
chased in 1733 by the Millikens, who changed
the name to Milliken. Jane, daughter and
heiress of James Milliken, Esq., of Milliken,
married William Napier, Esq., of Culcreuch,
the lineal descendant of John Napier, Esq.,
the renowned inventor of Logarithms, and
was great-grandmother of the present pos-
sessor, Sir Robert John Milliken Napier,
Bart.

ALSCOT PARK, Gloucestershire, the seat
of James Roberts West, Esq., a magistrate
and Deputy-Lieutenant for the county of
Warwick, and also in the commission of the



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



21



peace for Gloucestershire, whose family may-
be traced up to the time of Edward the
Second, in the person of Sir Thomas West,
Knt., a great favourite both with that mo-
narch and his successor.

Alscot Fark has successively been possess-
ed by the families of Sir Hugh Brawne and
Thomas Harriot. Of the latter it -was pur-
chased by James West, Esq., P.R.S., and
with his descendants it has continued ever
since. According to tradition, the old
building arose out of the ruins of a chapel,
of which there are now but few traces.
Some parts of the existing mansion are very
ancient, being, no doubt, portions of that
first mentioned, but the front was erected
about a hundred years ago by James West,
Esq., great-grandfather of the present owner.
The whole, however, has been lately reno-
vated at a great expense, and with much
elegance. The architecture is Gothic, a
style that harmonises well with the locality
in which it stands, and the material of which
it is built, a handsome freestone, having been
sufficiently mellowed by the influence of
time to blend with the surrounding objects.
It stands upon the banks of the Stour, which
winds gracefully through a well-wooded park,
and from time to time is visible through the
openings amongst the trees. Oaks, elms,
and limes, abound here, now in groups, now
standing out in solitary grandeur, and now
again ranging to form noble avenues. The
whole scene has been very accurately de-
scribed by quaint old Jago, in his poem of
Edge Hill, now perhaps seldom read, but
certainly as much deserving of attention as
many of greater reputation : —

-There Stour exulting pays



His tributary stream, well pleased with wave
Auxiliary her pond'rous stores to waft ;
And boasting, as he flows, of growing fame
And wondrous beauties on his bank displayed, —
Of Alseot's swelling lawns, and fretted spires,
Of fairest model, Gothic or Chinese."



WALEERTON HOUSE, in the western di-
vision of Sussex, about three miles and a
half from Arundel, and six from Bognor, the
seat of Richard Prime, Esq., a magistrate
and deputy-lieutenant for the county, and
high sheriff in 1823.

The name of this place is in all probability
derived from the Anglo-Saxon thail-burg-ton
— that is, the palisaded city — with reference
to its having been a military station, thcel, or
thil, signifying a stake.

For several descents, the manor, after
having been detached from the earldom of
Arundel, remained successively in the noble
families of St. John, Poynings, Bonville, and
Paulet. In the reign of Henry VIII. it was
exchanged with the crown. About five
years afterwards, the first grant of it was



made to Adam Barton. In 1662 it was
transferred to Thomas Bennet, Esq. ; but
before the year 1687, it had passed by pur-
chase to Thomas Nash, Esq., whose descend-
ant sold it in 1800 to General John Whyte.
The only son of the last-named proprietor dis-
posed of the estate to Richard Prime, Esq.,
whose family descended from Sir S. Prime,
the king's ancient serjeant in the reign of
George II., a man of great ability, and ex-
pected to attain one of the higher stations
on the judges' bench, when he suddenly re-
tired from his profession, on account of a
dispute with Lord Hardwicke.

The present mansion stands upon the site
of a small but convenient manor-house,
which had long been inhabited by the several
successors in the family of Nash, including
a period from 1647 to 1802, and from that
time until 1817 by General Whyte. This,
however, was pulled down by the gentleman
now owning the estate, when he raised on its
place a handsome edifice, from the plans,
and under the direction, of Sir Robert
Smirke. The new house, which is much
larger and more imposing than the old, is of
the Grecian architecture, and is built of
stone brought from Killala and Abroath, in
the Frith of Forth. The front and west sides
are ornamented with a beautiful stone colon-
nade of fluted Doric pillars; the whole,
however, being in that simple, and even severe
style which Sir Robert Smirke so much
affected. In this, as in all his more import-
ant works, that great architect has pro-
duced his results not by an abundance of
ornament — the usual fault of inferior artists
— but by grace of form and outline.

NINE WELLS, Berwickshire, the seat of
Mrs. Agnes Macdonald Hume, proprietrix,
and of Norman Macdonald Hume, Esq., her
husband .

The house, which is of the Elizabethan
style of architecture, was built hi 1841, by
Miss Elizabeth Hume, late of Nine Wells.
It stands upon the north bank of the Whit-
adder, a tributary of the River Tweed, near
the village of Chirnside, or Chernside — that
is, the sepulchral tumulus on the side of the
hill. Around it is a park, full of fine old
trees, many of them being the growth of at
least a century.

A younger son of the family of Nine
Wells, was David Hume, the Historian.

EDMOND CASTLE, Cumberland, occupies the
site of an ancient border station, and has
been for a lengthened period the residence of
the family of the present possessor, Thomas
Henry Graham, Esq., who is a magistrate
and Deputy Lieutenant of Cumberland, and
was its high sheriff in 1824. About the
year 1770, extensive improvements in the



22



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



surrounding grounds were commenced by Mr.
Graham's grandfather, in making plantations
and ornamental pieces of water, which have
been carried on by his successors, and in 1824
Mr. Graham added greatly to the ancient
mansion, by erecting a building in the Tudor
style, of a handsome white stone, from the
designs of Sir Robert Smirke, and faced the
old building with the same to correspond.
In 1844 he made a still further addition by
erecting a wing with two light towers, and
a conservatory ; and the whole now forms
a picturesque and beautiful group of build-
ings, surrounded by a terrace wall. The
mansion contains a library of 3000 volumes,
with many valuable pictorial, topographical,
and antiquarian works ; also a choice collec-
tion of pictures, comprising some of the
Italian, Flemish, and English schools, to-
gether with some excellent family portraits.
Edmond Castle, with its grounds, may geo-
graphically be described as standing at the
confluence of the Rivers Irthing and Gelt,
which unite their streams half-a-mile from
the house, and the walks carried along the
banks rising above these rivers, present
a variety of beautiful and romantic scenery.
The castle is considerably elevated above
the former river, and commands over a fore-
ground of lawn and wood a rich view of the
vale and city of Carlisle ; while the fells of
Castle Carrock and Cumrew, the lake moun-
tains of Helvellyn, Skiddaw, and Saddle-
back, with Criffell, and other Scotch hills,
bound the horizon in different directions.

NETHERBY, two and a half miles from
Longtown, in Cumberland, and but a few
miles from the borders of Scotland, is the
ancient and beautiful seat of the Right Hon.
Sir James Graham, Bart., lord of the adja-
cent border territory to the extent of many
thousand acres.

The mansion is situated on an eminence
commanding an extensive view, to the south
and west, of finely cultivated country, almost
the whole of which is Netherby estate.
It was considerably unproved by Dr. Robert
Graham, after his accession to the property,
by whom in carryingon his "pleasure works,"
and levelling the dress grounds contiguous to
the house, a large quantity of Roman remains
were discovered, which, added to the accu-
mulations of former proprietors, and a pur-
chase from Mr. Walton, forms one of the
most interesting collections in the North.

It was the Castra Exploratum (according to
others, the Luguvallium) of Antoninus ; and
every mark of permanent Roman occupancy
has been discovered in the neighbourhood ;
in particular a fine hippocaust, or bath, and
a burial ground.

The collection of antiquities is preserved
syithjn the mansion, which can boast, in ad-



dition, of a choice library, particularly
famous for rare editions of classic authors.
Of the ancient dwelling one tower remains,
altered from its original appearance by the
improvements of later owners. The charms
of the demesne are increased by the pic-
turesque wanderings of the Rivers Eske and
Liddell, the banks of which are tastefully
intersected by a numerous series of well-
arranged walks and rides.

For several generations Netherby be-
longed to the ancestors of Walter Graham,
who was banished, with many of his ad-
herents, by James I., hi 1606. He was
descended from the Hon. Sir John Graham,
called "John with the Bright Sword," who
was second son of Malise, Earl of Strathern,
by his wife, Ann, daughter of Henry Vere,
Earl of Oxford, and grandson of Patrick Gra-
ham by Euphemia, daughter and heiress of
David Stuart, Earl of Strathern, in right of
which marriage this branch of the family are
entitled to quarter the royal arms of Scot-
land.

It was repurchased in 1629, together with
all the forest of Nicholl, and the debateable
lands and numerous adjoining lordships and
manors, from Clifford, Earl of Cumberland,
by Richard Graham, Esq., a descendant of
John of the Bright Sword, Gentleman of the
Horse to James I., by whom he was created
a baronet (as also his younger son, founder
of the house of Norton Conyers). He was
a devoted adherent of Charles I., and lay
amongst the slam at Naseby all night. By
the Lady Mary Johnston, his wife, he left a
son, Richard Graham, first Viscount Preston,
who was Secretary of State to James II.,
and many years ambassador at Paris. A
collection of his letters, written while in
residence at the Court of St. Germains, is in
the possession of Sir James Graham. About
to join the exiled monarch, one of his few
faithful adherents, this nobleman was cap-
tured in a boat on the Thames, and after a
trial for high treason, narrowly escaped the
extreme penalties of conviction by the
powerful influence and intercession of his
relatives. Unaffected by English proceed-
ings or attainder, the title of Preston, a
Scottish peerage, was continued till the
death, without issue, of his last male de-
scendant, when the estate and lordships of
Netherby and Liddell passed to his only
surviving daughter, Lady Widdrington, who
in 1757 bequeathed them to Robert, the
second son of his brother, William Graham.
His elder nephew was ancestor of the present
Baronet of Esk, a claimant of the Hartfell
earldom, in right of Lady Mary Johnston.

Robert Graham, D.D., who succeeded
under the will of Lady Widdrington, was
grandfather of the present Sir James Gra-
ham, a Member of Parliament and Privy



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



23



Councillor, of whom, as a leading public cha-
racter, it is unnecessary to speak.

John with the Bright Sword, it is needless
to mention, was a celebrated warrior, and is
said to have retired in disgust, together
with many of his clan {temp. Henry VI.),
from the land of his kinsmen, Montrose
and Dundee, to the English side of the
borders, and no less than 400 adherents of
the house could be raised in those days
upon a raid of the English into Scotland.

A. saying of the mother of a moss-trooper
to her son, under circumstances of house-
hold scarcity, has become proverbial : " Ride,
Rowly, hough is in the pot," — i.e., the last
piece of beef — a pendant to which injunction
for levying blackmail, is related by Sir
Henry Wooton, in his life of the Duke of
Buckingham, a patron of the first Sir
Richard Graham. Giving an account of their
travelling through France, he says, " They
were now entered into the deep of Lent, and
could get no flesh at the inns, whereupon fell
out a pleasant passage, if I may insert it by
the way among the more serious.

" There was near Bayonne a herd of goats,
with their young; upon the sight thereof
Sir Richard Graham tells the Marquis of
Buckingham that he would snap one of the
kids, and make some shift to carry him to
his lodgings, which the prince overhearing,
' Why, Richard,' says he, ' do you think you
may practise here your old tricks upon the
borders ? ' Upon which words they, in the
first place, gave the goat-herd good con-
tentment ; and then, while the Marquis and
Sir Richard, being both on foot, were chasing
the kid about the stack, the prince from
horseback killed him in the head with a
Scottish pistol;" after which follow enco-
niums on Charles's sense of " just dealing."

Mr. Sandford tells an anecdote illustra-
tive of the hardihood of the clan hi Eliza-
beth's time. " Late in her reign," he says,
" one Jack Graham of the Sear Tree had
his brother hi Carlisle Gaol, ready to be
hanged ; and the Sheriff of Cumberland, Mr.
Salkeld, living at Corby Castle, and his son,
a little boy, playing at the gate, Jock
comes by, and gives the child an apple, and
says, ' Will you ride, master ? ' takes him up
before him, carries him into Scotland, and
would never part with him till he had his bro-
ther safe home from Carlisle."

Arthurst, the burial-place of the family,
contains some interesting memorials of the
houseof Netherby. In the churchyard are
deposited the remains of a witty celebrity,
who was a native of the parish.

Archibald Armstrong, commonly known
by the name of Archy, jester to King James
I. and Charles, died in 1672, having been
dismissed from Court in 1638, but having
been previously wise enough to have amassed



a comfortable fortune, as the lines annexed to
an engraved portrait of him testify :

"Archy, by kings and princes graced of late,
Jested himself into a fair estate."

The cause of his dismissal was the latitude
of speech in which he indulged himself on
the occasion of the commotions in Scotland.
Rushworth relates, that " On the 11th of
March, 1637, Archibald, the king's fool, said
to his Grace the Archbishop of Canterbury,
as he was going to the council table, ' Wha's
feulenow? Doth not your Grace hear the
news from Strivelin about the liturgy ? '
with other words of reflection, which pro-
duced the ensuing order in council —

"'At Whitehall, 11th March, 1637,
present the King's most excellent Majesty,
Lord Archbishop of Canterbury, the Lord
Keeper, it is this day ordered, with the ad-
vice of the Board, that Archibald Armstrong,
the king's fool, for certahi scandalous
words, &c, spoken against the Lord Arch-
bishop, his Grace, shall have his coat pulled
over his head, and be discharged of the
king]s service, for which the Lord Chamber-
lain is prayed and required to give orders to
be executed ;' and immediately the same was
put in execution."

A correspondent of Lord Strafford adds,
" There is a new fool hi his place, Muckle
John ; but he will ne'er be so rich, for he
cannot abide money." Muckle John was
the last jester to the British Court. A
cloiul impended over the head of royalty at
the time, which must have made the office
of jester the most difficult and impossible hi
the household.



RAMSEY ABBEY, Huntingdonshire, near
the town of Ramsey, and about eleven miles
from Huntingdon, the seat of Edward Fel-
lowes, Esq., a magistrate and deputy-lieu-



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 5 of 73)