Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 53 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 53 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


made all his other clothes in the same
manner as the shoe, lived by begging, but
never asked for anything but leather, which
he would immediately nail to his clothes.
He kept three bottles hanging at his girdle,
one for strong beer, another for small beer,
and the third for milk, which liquors used
to be given, and sometimes brought to him,
as was his other sustenance, notwithstanding
he never asked for them. This shoe," adds
Hearne, " often put me in mind of the
Roman carnpagi, or military shoes of the
inferior soldiers, which were made much in
the same manner, excepting that the upper
parts were uncovered, like the more ancient
shoes called crepido."

There was a picture in the possession of
the late Sir Scrope Bernard Morland, Bart.,
which represents the hermit as a tall,
robust, rather handsome man, with an open
countenance, destitute of moroseness, or of
the least vulgarity. He has on a sort of
hood, or square horned cap, of apparently
the same patched materials as a loose
short cloak over his lower garments, which
consist of a close dress with a girdle, by
which are suspended two leathern bottles,
his right hand grasping a third, his left
resting on a short three-pronged fork with
a spade handle. He has trousers, or pan-
taloons, not quite reaching to his shoes.
But the whole figure will be better under-
stood by reference to Lipscombe's admirable
" History of Buckinghamshire," wherein is
given an etching from the original portrait.

DRUMMOND CASTLE, Perthshire, in the
parish of Muthill, the seat of Lord Willough-
by de Eresby.

The old Drummond Castle was built in
1490 by John, first Lord Drummond, a de-
scendant of one of the oldest houses in
Scotland. The founder of this family was
Maurice, a Hungarian nobleman (an attend-
ant of Edgar Atheling, prince of England),
who shortly after the Norman Conquest
took refuge in Scotland, as did so many
other Saxon nobles in fear or hatred of
the Conqueror. This was in 1088, and
upon the elevation to the Scottish throne
of Margaret, the sister of Edgar Atheling,
Maurice, who had been a favourite with
the latter, was gifted with certain lands
called Drummond.

From the time of Maurice, the Perth estate
continued in the male fine of his family
through twenty-five generations, when it
devolved, with the representation of the
house of Drummond, upon the Honourable
Clementina Sarah Drummond, the daughter



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN,



239



and heiress of James Lord Perth. This lady
in 1807, married the Honourable Peter
Robert Burrell, eldest son of Lord Gwydyr,
who, in 1820, succeeded his father as Baron
Gwydyr; and in 1828, his mother as Baron
Willoughby de Eresby.

Many distinguished characters and ro-
mantic incidents are connected with the
house of Drummond. Sir Malcolm Drum-
mond played an important part at the battle
of Bannockburn, when he would seem to
have been the introducer of the calthrops- —
an instrument which did so much damage to
the English horse, for they were then added
by way of compartment to his arms.
Another Sir Malcolm, a brother of Anna-
bella Drummond, Queen of Scotland,
greatly distinguished himself at the battle of
Otterburn, which began

" B3'twcne the nyghte and day;

When the Dowglas lost hys lyfe,
And the Percy was lede awaye."

Sir Malcolm had afterwards the misfortune to
be surprised in his castle by a band of ruffians,
who hurried him off into captivity and used
him so ill that he died in then- hands of the
hardships he had undergone. " In the next
year, a decent term having expired, Alexander
Stuart, natural son of the deceased Earl of
Buchan, brother of Albany, forced the widow
of the murdered man — Isabella, Countess of
Mar in her own right- to wed him, and as
he was a noted leader of the Highland free-
booters, there is no room to doubt that he
had been the murderer of her husband in
order to attain this wealthy marriage. These
unworthy deeds were sanctioned by the
government, the king's name being boldly
set by the regent to a charter conrirming the
earldom to a lawless intruder. Thus every
insult and every crime seem to have been
crowded by Albany, his younger brother,
and adherents, that could contribute to the
depression and destruction of the king's
family and connections."

In 1391, we find a Sir John Drummond
holding the office of Justiciary of Scotland,
in whiehcapacity he becomes curious to the
reader of the present day from his having
assoilzied Sir Alexander Moray from a proved
murder upon his pleading the privilege of
Macduff's Cross. A brief quotation from
Sir Walter Scott will fully explain this sin-
gular custom to those who happen to be
unacquainted with it. "The Cross was a
place of refuge to any person related to
Macduff, within the ninth degree, who,
having committed homicide in sudden
quarrel, should reach this place, prove his
descent from the Thane of Fife, and pay a
certain penalty. The shaft of the Cross was
destroyed at the Reformation. The huge
block of stone which served for its pedestal



is still in existence near the town of Newburgh,
on a kind of pass which commands the county
of Fife to the southward, and to the north
the windings of the magnificent Tay, and
fertile country of Angus-shire." It is only
necessary to add that this privilege of the
Cross was granted to Macduff by the restored
monarch for the share he had in the defeat
of the usurper Macbeth.

At a later period the Perth estate was
well nigh forfeited by Lord John Drum-
mond by his accession to the Chevalier.
Luckily for his descendants, he seems to
have had no great faith in the probable suc-
cess of the cause to which he was sacrificing
himself, and made over the estates in favour
of his son before he took up arms against the
existing government. Others have affirmed,
we believe erroneously, that the estates were
forfeited, but subsequently restored in part to
the heir by the government. It may indeed
have been so ; and if so, it says much for the
magnanimous feelings of the Hanoverian dy-
nasty, for the Drummonds had at all times
been stanch adherents of the Stuarts. In
the Great Civil War, the Lord of Stobhall
had been fined five thousand pounds by
Cromwell for his pertinacious adherence to
the cause of Charles the First, and the same
zeal had been shown by his descendant in
behalf of the Chevalier. Even the clemency
shown to them in the restoration of their
estates — if they were indeed ever lost — failed
to abate their deep devotion for the Stuarts.
A singular tradition still exists in proof of
this. After the battle of Culloden, it had
been found necessary by the conquerors to
bridle the dhaffected spirit that still pre-
vailed by establishing four cottage-settle-
ments for soldiers. There were thirty of
these cottages at Benniebeg — not Ballabeg, as
it is written by the editor of the Perth Let-
ters — near Drummond Castle ; a second divi-
sion at Callander, a third at Auchterader,
and a fourth at Stobhall. When the occu-
pants of Benniebeg died off, the proprietor
on being repossessed of the ground, pulled
down the cottages, forming where they had
stood a wide and deep lake, so as to oblite-
rate every trace of the buildings that a hun-
dred years ago had kept the refractory Jaco-
bites in order. This magnificent sheet of
water, which adds much to the picturesque-
ness of the surrounding scenery, abounds in
fish of various kinds, and is haunted by wild
birds from the Highlands, affording amuse-
ment both to the sportsman and the angler.
In other respects it may well be doubted
wdiether this is not a more lasting record of
the past than a few mouldering cottages
would have been, that must in time, if left to
themselves, have passed away without leaving
the slightest traces of their ever having
existed.



240



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



Drummond Castle was originally erected
by John, first Lord Drummond, in 1490, and
must have been of considerable extent ; for
in addition to what still remains tolerably
entire, there are fragments and vestiges of
a much larger building. If we may believe
tradition, it was besieged by Cromwell's
army, and after having sustained considerable
damage, was surrendered to the republicans,
who immediately garrisoned it with a strong
party. In the revolution of 1689, it was
well nigh demolished, being reduced to the
state in which we now see it.

The situation of Drummond Castle is pe-
culiarly striking. It stands in the barony
of Concraig, upon a high rock that one side
is nearly perpendicular, at the foot of the
hill of Tarlum, surrounded by a magnificent
park and grounds, extending two miles in
every direction. The modern Castle, which
forms two sides of a square, is on the same
rock with the old. The ruins are still pre-
served with great care, repairs having been
made at different times to save them from
total destruction. The south wing was con-
verted into a library by the late Lord Perth,
but it is now used for an armoury.

On the north side of the Castle is the
garden, which alone would repay the traveller
even from a distant part, for the trouble of a
visit, especially if he have a taste for botany.
It is laid out partly hi the Dutch and partly
in the French style, being so protected on
all sides that the winds cannot touch it. The
consequence is that the rarest and most
delicate plants flourish here, in spite of the
general roughness of the Scotch climate.
There is something, too, peculiarly fanciful
and picturesque in the general character of
these grounds, with their terraced stairs, their
various small sheets of water, their magnifi-
cent trees, and their walks profusely bordered
by shrubs and flowers. One artificial pond
called the Pond of Drummond, has been a
general subject of admiration. It is nearly
a mile in length, and half a mile in breadth,
its banks finely covered with wood, and on
its north side is a rocky eminence rising full
seventy feet above its level. It abounds in
swans, ducks, and geese at all seasons. The
ground occupied by this lake was once a
cultivated valley, which being forfeited in
the rebellion of 1745, was portioned out, as
we have already shown, by the royal com-
missioners on the forfeited estates, as a
reward to some of those who had evinced
most zeal and bravery in the cause of go-
vernment. In process of time, when all
these proprietors had died out, or were re-
moved, the ground was converted by Lady
Perth into the loch that we now see.

Within the Castle are many pictures of
considerable interest. Amongst the principal
of these are : — Charles I., with his consort,



Henrietta, and their children ; James V., ot
Scotland ; James VI. ; the Duke of Perth ;
Cardinal Howard ; a full length of Peregrine
Bertie, Lord Willoughby de Eresby, 1555 ;
two portraits of Queen Mary, taken at dif-
ferent times, and exhibiting her in very
different characters — in the one she appears
as the gay and happy Mary who won all
hearts as much by her liveliness and fascinat-
ing manner as by her surpassing beauty ; in
the other, long endurance has saddened her
face and given an expression to the features
which was never intended by nature ; a por-
trait of Lady Sarah Bruce ; of George, second
Marquess of Huntly ; of James, fourth Earl
of Perth, Lord High Chancellor of Scotland
in 1684; of Lady Anne Gordon; &c. &c.

"When Queen Victoria paid her first visit
to the northern part of her kingdom, Her Ma-
jesty was entertained here by the present noble
possessors of this historic seat — the Lord
Willoughby de Eresby and his consort, the
representative and heiress of the great house
of Drummond.

LINDEN HALL, Borwick co. Lancaster,
the residence of William Sharp, Esq., justice
of the peace, is pleasantly situated near
Burton, a border town of the neighbouring
county of Westmorland. This property,
together with the Fairsnape and Blindhurst
estates in Bleasdale, came into the possession
of Mr. Sharp through his marriage with Jane,
only child of William Taylor, Esq. of Bor-
wick, by Jane, his wife," one of the two
daughters and coheirs of Henry Parkinson,
Esq. of Woodycar Hall, co. Lancaster,
senior representative of the ancient and
eminent family of Parkinson of Bleasdale
Forest, Fairsnape, and Blindhurst. The
Parkinsons were originally scions of the
great house of Fetherstonhaugh, and still
bear for arms the three ostrich feathers of
that well-known Northern race. In one of
the Heralds 1 Visitations, the first of the
Parkinsons who assumed the surname is
described as "son of Perkin Fetherston-
haugh," (whence the appellation of " Perkin
or Parken son "), and to him is assigned the
Fetherston shield.

Linden Hall is a pretty rural residence,
situated in a beautiful part of the county, not
far from the celebrated Vale of the Lune.
" Few streams" observes an intelligent tourist
" can equal the Lune in beauty from Sedbergh,
where it enters a cultivated and inhabited
district, to its conflux with the sea ; nor can
many of the Vales of England vie with the
Lonsdale." Gray's celebrated view of it is
taken from an eminence above the river,
near the third mile stone from Lancaster,
whence almost the whole of this delightful
district is visible, abounding in villages, with
the Castle of Hornby in the centre , finely







3



I
pi

a



, — 1



1=1



^



^ o



w
Q

w

Eh






a

a:
I



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



241



intersected by the Lune, winding between
hills clothed with wood and backed by the
high mountain of Ingleborough in York-
shire.

In this delightful district are many ancient
seats, and at no great distance from Linden,
Sizergh, the fine old mansion of the Strick-
lands, with whom the Parkinsons were con-
nected by marriage, in the 17th century.

FRYSTON KALL, Ferrybridge, Yorkshire,
the seat of Robert Pemberton Milnes, Esq.,
a deputy lieutenant for the county, and a
representative of the borough of Pontefract
in several parliaments.

This estate at one time belonged to the
Crowles and Carrs. The Manor -House is
old and of uncertain date, but it was added
to and embellished by one of the hitter fa-
mily. It is in the Italian style of archi-
tecture, and is surrounded by spacious gar
dens and plantations of considerable extent.
In one of the shrubberies is the stone coffin
of Thomas, Duke of Lancaster, beheaded at
Pontefract. It was found in the so-called
Prior's Field, below the sanctuary, which
was built on the place of his execution.

HOGHTON TOWER, Lancashire, about
five miles from Blackburn, and the same dis-
tance from Chorley, the seat of Sir Henry
Bold Hoghton, Bart.

This estate has been for centuries pos-
sessed by the Hoghtons, who derived
their name from it, according to the very
common custom of early times. In the
reign of William Rufus it devolved to
Ilanio Pincerna, by his marriage with a
daughter of "Warm Bussell. Adam, the
grandson of this Hamo, who flourished in
the time of Henry the Second, called him-
self Adam de Horton, or Dominus de
Horton ; and to his descendant, Sir Richard,
was granted liberty to enclose a park at
Hoghton, a farther extension of which
license took place in the year 1385.

The tower was built in the early part of
Queen Elizabeth's reign by Sir Thomas
Hoghton. The approach to it is by two
stone columns, the road being across a lawn
to a ponderous gateway, which consists of a
grand central tower, flanked by two of less
importance. On the other side of this is a
court yard, and beyond the court yard is a
second gateway opening upon another
quadrangle, which after passing a fine pointed
arch, leads to the main body of the tower.
The principal entrance is reached by eight
circular steps, and from this entrance branch
forth several long galleries, which give ad-
mittance to the different rooms upon the
same floor. The staircases are built of solid
oak. One room still retains the name of the
King's Room, from its having been appro-

VOL. II.



priated to James the First, upon his visit
here in 1G17. It was upon this occasion, if
we may believe tradition, that the monarch
in the exuberance of his good humour, and
being more than usually satisfied with the
meat placed before him, knighted a loin of
beef, which has ever since retained its
dignity — Sir Loin.

The hall of this fine old building is fifty-
one feet long, and thirty feet wide, and
is altogether a very noble room. But we
are spared farther details by the description
of the old tower, which Dr. Kuerden has
left us, an antiquary, who lived in the
reign of Charles the First, and therefore at
no great distance of time from its first erec-
tion. '' This tower," says the doctor, " was
build in Queene Elizabeth's raigne by one
Tho. Houghton, who translated this manor
house, formerly placed below the hill, nere
unto the water-side. Betwixt ye inward
squar court, and the second (between the
first and second courts), was a very tall,
strong tower, or gate-house, which in the
late and unhappy civil wars, was acciden-
tally blown up with powder, with some ad-
jacent buildings, after the surrender thereof,
and one Captain Starkey, with two-hundred
more, were killed in that blast most wofully.
The outward is defended with two lesser
bastions, upon the south-west and north-
west corners, besides another placed in the
midst betwixt them, now serving for an out-
ward gate- house. This stately fabric is
environed with a most spacious park, which,
in former time, was so full of timber, that
a man passing through it could scarce have
seen the sun shine at middle of day ; but of
biter davs, most of it has been destroyed.
It was much replenished with wild beasts,
as with boars and bulls, of a white and
spangled colour, and red deer in great
plenty ; the last as yet preserved for game
by the lords thereof."

The tower, thus nearly destroyed, was
subsequently rebuilt, but the whole, being
no longer used as the family residence, is
rapidly falling into decay. This is the more
to be lamented, for it is a noble pile, of the
Elizabethan style of architecture, and it
commands a fine prospect. On one side
the view extends to Pendle, on another, to
Lytham, and upon a third in the distance,
rise up the Cumberland Hills, in all their
rude magnificence. Within, the desolation
is still more striking than without. In the
so-called Green Room, are six mouldering
portraits, one of Sir Thomas Hoghton, the
founder of the pile, and three others, which
conjecture sets down as portraits of Queen
Elizabeth, Mary, Queen of Scots, and Queen
Anne. The marble- room, in spite of its
material, is fast going to ruin. The bed-
room, where James the First slept, like the

I I



242



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



royal parlour on the east side of the court,
has little show of its former occupant, ex-
cept that in the parlour we still find some
ornamented chairs, with richly carved
frames. In most of the other rooms there
are similar, or even worse signs of desolation;
timbers crumbling to dust, panels falling, and
Avails themselves beginning to give way.

The first baronet of this family was Sir
Richard Hoghton, who had previously, in
1599, been knighted by the Earl of Essex,
when in Ireland. He was one of the eighteen
upon whom King James the First bestowed
the title of baronet, when that honour first
became an hereditary degree. The present
baronet is the eighth possessor of that
dignity.



COLLIPRIEST HOUSE, Devonshire, not far
from Tiverton, the seat of Thomas Carew,
Esq.

At a remote period this estate was the
property of the Blundell family, by whom
the old mansion was erected. All of them
would appear to have been wealthy and
honoured in their native county, and one of
them was noted for having a literary turn ;
he was the author of a book now become
scarce, called the " Memoirs of Tiverton,"
which he is said to have composed in a
small fishing-house, on the banks of the Low-
man, within his grounds at Collipriest. The
work was printed in the year 1712, at Exon.

In 1770 this property devolved to Mr.
Winsloe, and afterwards descended to Tho-
mas Winsloe Phillips, Esq. It was next sold
to James Hay, Esq., from whom it was pur-
chased by the father of the present owner,
grandson to Sir Thomas Carew, Bart., of
Haccombe, in the county of Devon. This is
one of the few families now remaining that
can trace their descent without intermission
from the Anglo-Saxon period of English
history. But,

" Carew, of ancient, Carru was;

And Cavru is a plow;

Romans the trade, Frenchmen the word;

I do the name avow."

Taking this for granted, it might be inferred
that the family came into England with
William the Conqueror.

The present mansion was built about 1778
by Thomas Winsloe, Esq. It is a large house
upon the side of a hill, and rising above the
conflux of the Rivers Exe and Lowman. In
front of it is an extensive lawn, with a slope
down to the outer side, on which are some
noble beech-trees. Behind it, upon the brow
of the hill, is a fine hanging wood, with an
avenue of aged elms, which from the height
they occupy, may be seen to a great distance
in various directions.



The winding and impetuous Exe, after
passing under a bridge in the town of
Tiverton, receives the Lowman in two streams
within the grounds of Collipriest ; one of
these runs beneath a hill called the " Dairy-
house Hill," from the dairy on its summit,
and which is well wooded and precipitous ;
the other flows at the bottom of a meadow
immediately below the mansion.

In the neighbourhood, near the Castle
Close, where once stood Cranmore Fort or
Castle, is an enclosure belongingto Collipriest,
which has obtained a sort of local celebrity
from its having been the site of a battle in
1549. The breaking up of the monasteries
was a measure of mixed good and evil, but it
was the evil that more sensibly affected the
people. The monks, by residing on the spot
and receiving their rents for the most part in
kind, had proved better landlords than the
nobles, who lived mostly in London, neglected
the prescribed hospitality, and turned the
arable-land into sheep-walks as affording
them greater profit. The exasperated people
rose in many different counties, but nowhere
with so determined a spirit as in Devonshire.
They were, however, defeated by the king's
forces, and were submitted to the usual
sharp remedies for rebellion, the axe and the
gibbet.

The whole of the grounds in the vicinity
are beautifully wooded. The beech-trees
perhaps are the most remarkable, being of
great age and size, and in many instances
presenting a most picturesque appearance.

Behind the House is the Kennel of a fine
pack of fox-hounds, which has been esta-
blished for many years; the rich vale of Tiver-
ton and the surrounding hill being admirably
suited to the amusement of the chase. There
is also a pack of noble stag-hounds kept
here, and known by the name of " Devon
and Somerset." Mr. Carew is the master of
both.

In addition to these sports, the fisherman
in his season will find enough of amusement
in the waters of the Exe and the Lowman.
The supply of fish from these two streams is
varied and abundant.

MELDON PARK, in the county of Nor-
thumberland, the seat of John Cookson, Esq.

The name of this place is derived from
Mel, '' middle, or between" and Dun, a
" hill." In old Westmorland farm-houses we
still find the word, mel doors, meaning thereby
the passage between the front and back
doors. Thus also the town Mel-fells in
Cumberland, and Mel-fell on the eastern-side
of Westmorland, are conical hills rising up
between others.

Meldon Park has been successively pos-
sessed by the families of Ratcliffe of Der •



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



243



wentwater, Fen wick, and Cookson. The
present mansion was erected in 1834 by-
Isaac Cookson, Esq. It is in the Italian style
of architecture.

The surface of the adjoining ground is
bold and undulating. The park contains
something less than three hundred and sixty
acres, on the south, and about one hundred
and eight acres on the north side of the
Wansbeck, extending from the village of
Meldon to the northern boundary of the
parish. It is surrounded by a stone wall
laid in mortar, which till within the last
twenty years was in many places twelve feet
high, but has since been uniformly reduced
to about five feet. It was probably made by
the Ratcliffes.

Deer-horns are not unfrequently met with
in these grounds. One in particular, that
was remarkable for its unusual size, was
turned up by the plough here, five or six
years ago, in the low, wet ground to the



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 53 of 73)